Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #70

Shrykespeare

A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
– Director: Charles Crichton; starring John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline and Michael Palin. What do you get when you cross two-sixths of Monty Python with sexy temptress Curtis and Kline as the most clueless moron in the northern hemisphere? This movie, that’s what. I mean, how can you not laugh at this movie, repeatedly? (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqAJUlSRCwo

silversurfer

12 Angry Men (1957
) - Director: Sidney Lumet; starring Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, Jack Klugman and E.G. Marshall. This is one of the most recent additions to my list despite being one of the oldest on my list, mainly as despite knowing about it for so many years it was an absolute nightmare to find it on DVD. Anyway we eventually found it a couple of years ago and immediately saw why it was so highly regarded. And for a debut feature no less! It's a brilliant drama filled with great dialogue and expert direction, which is amazing considering the story of a debating group of men in a court room drama wouldn't normally sound so riveting. It creates its action through tense plot devices and gripping characters, and they are led perfectly by Henry Fonda as the man trying to convince the other 11 jurors of his opinion. It's also quite an interesting social study, as the clip below proves with the jurors' reactions to prejudicial views (and brilliantly filmed in just one take), but really it doesn't rely on this like so many think they need to nowadays, more so it's just a great drama. Since watching this I've become obsessed with trying to find more Lumet films, and with films like Network he proved he was not a one hit wonder. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTDhgR3p12w

thegreenarrow

Black Narcissus (1947)
– Directors: Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger; starring Deborah Kerr, Flora Robson and Jean Simmons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iiJk-LHOE

transformers

Dawn of The Dead (2004)
- Director: Zach Snyder; starring Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames and Mekhi Phifer. I was a huge fan of this remake. This one of the rare times were the remake is actually better than the original. Zack Snyder made a hell of a name for himself with this being his debut film. A really chilling, intense and badass zombie flick, the best horror remake ever. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUzJAsa-gg

englishozzy

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
- Director: Danny Boyle; starring Dev Patel, Saurabh Shukla, Anil Kapoor and Frieda Pinto. An all-too-familiar rage-to-riches tale, but Danny Boyle has done it in a very unique way. Set in India, he creates a very fast-paced and sometimes kinetic look through the hustle and bustle of modern India. A Hollywood movie set smack bang in the middle of Bollywood territory sets this film apart from the
rest. Along with Boyle's excellent direction, who I believe has been underrated up until now and some brilliant performances from its relatively new cast makes this an enjoyable film with the scenes of India as an added bonus. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzbwV7on6Q

Ron Burgundy

Heat (1995)
- Director: Michael Mann; starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Tom Sizemore, Val Kilmer, Jon Voight, Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman. A big cast with some of the biggest names in the business, and my second straight Michael Mann movie. A terrific crime movie that might have been higher up on my list if it were a couple of years ago. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbBLJ1WGwQ

Buscemi

Reservoir Dogs (1992)
- Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Harvey Keitel, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi and Chris Penn. Quentin Tarantino's directorial debut is one of the best debuts in cinema history. Despite the claims that Tarantino ripped off the plot of the 1987 film City on Fire, it still stands up well on its own. While watching this, you wouldn't think you watching a debut film but instead watching a film by a seasoned pro. Also, the acting is great and Tarantino is a master with a low-budget (would you ever have guessed this cost just $1.5 million to produce?). (2nd apperance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C5MEv7eXRw

Chienfantome

Heat (1995)
– Director: Michael Mann; starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Val Kilmer and Tom Sizemore. Michael Mann is one of those directors too erratic to rate among my favorites, but in the end, he has directed a few films I truly admire, and a couple I deeply love, this one being my favorite. It’s all about the gangsters here. Mann is fascinated by the eternal cat and mouse story between good guys and bad guys, cops and gangsters, and most of the time, it is the gangsters that are the best depicted, and the ones you feel he roots for. And that’s the same for us as spectators. It’s all about DeNiro and his gang here. It’s all about DeNiro. This is his last great role, his last great performance. Mann’s vision of the solitary man and the melancholy that comes with it is beautiful. It’s bitter, it’s tragic. He demythologizes the gangster figure with gravitas. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbBLJ1WGwQ

numbersix

Jurassic Park (1993)
- Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum. Even though I had read the book (at the tender age of 11) before seeing the movie, I was still blown away by Spielberg’s realization of a fascinating and terrifying book. The scene where the T-Rex first appears to terrorize the two electric jeeps (the shaking cup of water, the iris closing when the torch shines on it) still remains one of the most thrilling scenes in blockbuster history. The book’s characters were well re-written to be more appealing and entertaining (especially Goldblum as the wise-cracking Malcolm) and once again Spielberg manages to make a film about fatherhood that’s still different from all his others. This film (especially the effects) still stands the test of time as a great tentpole film. Here’s a great chase scene: (2nd appeance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEbeHX-T2uM

BONUS VIDEO! Here’s an amusing Sweded version of Jurassic Park:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFZBz3ZiQbk

Banks

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)
- Director: Judd Apatow; starring Steve Carell, Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen. My (and I’d guess most people’s) introduction to the raunchy, filthy – yet heartwarming comedy of Judd Apatow, The 40-Year-Old Virgin was unlike anything I’d ever seen before it. Yes, I’d seen my share of downright bawdy comedies before, but none with fully realized, adult characters with feelings and emotions, outside of trying to get laid. And it’s still perhaps one of the funniest movies of all-time. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQVPjLAulaM

BarcaRulz

Frost/Nixon (2008)
- Director: Ron Howard; starring Frank Langella, Michael Sheen, Kevin Bacon and Sam Rockwell. A fantastically acted film that is made all the more powerful when you know it is based on a real interview, and you know the story surrounding it. To be honest my first impression of it before I had seen it was that it was going to be a lifeless drama, but after watching it, I now know it was a riveting tale with incredibly passionate performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP_l2IFiQzs

Geezer

300 (2006)
- Director: Zach Snyder; starring: Gerard Butler, Lena Headey and David Wenham. The epitome of cool, when this came out I had never seen anything quite like it visually. Gerard Butler is fantastic. The dialogue may be completely over the top, but for any action junkie, 300 was like crack, you just couldn't get enough of the carnage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfZnWVoqZ8

leestu

Shane (1953)
– Director George Stevens; starring Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Brandon De Wilde, Van Heflin and Jack Palance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdd07SDHv5Q

W

Zoolander (2001)
- Director: Ben Stiller; starring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Christine Taylor, Will Ferrell, Milla Jovovich, Jon Voight and David Duchovny. This is one hilarious movie with an uncountable amount of one liners like "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" "You can read minds?" and "But why male models," among others. Ben Stiller, Jerry Stiller, and Will Ferrell are at their best and I can't wait to see the sequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GurTrUMMB9E
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #4): 70-61

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Hey Shryke, I just emailed you my next five picks. Sorry I couldn't make it in time.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

It's added. Thanks, Banks.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

MOVIE #70

Shrykespeare
A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
Good to see that we are goin to have an ultimate top 100, thanks for that Shryke, and the rules with the second nom seems to be the right fit. And here we have a deserving 2nd nom. John Cleese in an unusual straight guy role, a little like Fawlty Towers. Yes Kevin Kline steals the show. And yet ive only seen it once, and that baffles me.
8/10, 1 view

silversurfer
12 Angry Men (1957)
A Classic movie, though i didnt know it was Lumet's debut film. A powerful courtroom drama, and yeah i just had to watch it after seeing it rated so highly, for example it is still rated no. 8 on the imdb top 250. And after watching it i was so thankful, its one of the best older movies ive ever seen. And though i didnt know at the time of my first watch, it also has a great cast. Excellent pick kiwi.
10/10, 3 views

thegreenarrow
Black Narcissus (1947)
Sometimes i wonder if SS is just doing this for you and adding his extra picks, again i cant comment on this one though because i haven't seen it.
N/A

transformers
Dawn of The Dead (2004)
Tis a good movie, and im so surprised to see it appear again. Once was a big enough surprise. But it seems that i may have misjudged this movie, i have only seen it once, and that was when it first came out. At the time i did not know Zack Snyder, and he has proved himself with his following efforts, Watchmen was a big challenge and he may not pulled off the blockbuster hit we were all expecting, he proved he is capable of making good thorough films. This deserves a re-watch.
6.5/10, 1 view

englishozzy
Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
You know i just cant remember the scenes of India from this film, if i did, it might have a higher opinion from me. Yeah call me a snob, but i just cant see much in this film. Perhaps i should see it again, perhaps im being harsh. Ill get back to you.
4/10, 1 view

Buscemi

Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Do you think Tarantino will ever try and make a low budget movie ever again...no (i wish he would though, but he made up for any misgivings with Inglorious Basterds). You know i love this flick, it captivates you right from the first scene in the diner where Mr Pink doesn't want to pay his tip. You know, in Australia no-one pays tips, except maybe in bars to hot bartender chicks, so i thought he was just fine in his stance. Though i now know its different in the US. But Boosh, when will we hear some comments from you? I know you said you dont want to do essays, but a little commentary from the great buscemi couldn't hurt right? You obviously know a lot about movies and have see much more than me. So if i could tempt you into a little thought that would be great. Even if you just comment on my picks haha.
9.5/10, 5 views

Chienfantome
Heat (1995)
Wow, it almost seems like you like this film much more than i do. You put my comments to shame haha! But yes terrific pick Chien, you are right that Mann focuses on the gangsters, who we all seem to root for (i actually hated Pacino for a while after first seeing this). Kudos to you my french friend.

numbersix
Jurassic Park (1993)
Well, it is a bit of a 90s blockbuster monster isn't it, not they low key drama thats few people have watched, are you sure you are ok Six? Just kidding. This movie i like well enough but since it has been so long since ive watched this i cant accurately say what i should. Anyway, i think i should watch this again, i remember Jeff Goldblum was quite good in the lead, and is Sam Niell in this one too?
7/10, 2 views

Banks
The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)
Everybody loves Steve Carell, well everybody except me, i think he's ok but not awesome. In saying so, i dont think this is his best performance but maybe his best overall movie in a lead role. Seth Rogen also took off after this, another so-so new comedy guy. So too did Paul Rudd (although he already did Anchorman and was up his way up). What happened to the black dude; Romany Malco? He was better than all those guys! And did you notice Jonah Hill in the small minor role? I want Brick Tamland back!
6/10, 3 views

BarcaRulz
Frost/Nixon (2008)
Well, yet another surprise. But not a surprise from you Barca, whom im considering to dub Mr Unpredicatable (but that sounds too predicatble so ive gotta think of somehting better). A pretty good film, Michael Sheen is really good, ditto for Frank Langella. But it seems to lack somehting, whether that is a building pace or just some movement, it just seemed to me that i wanted something more. In no way a bad film but not quite good enough to be great.
6.5/10, 1 view

Geezer
300 (2006) Yes it had action but i had enough after the 2nd viewing. For me, it just doesn't match up to any sort of 80s super macho over the top action like rambo 2 or predator. But that does not mean it wasn't entertaining. It was actually pretty good, but i have now set myself this ridiculous standard in action films. And it had a lot of slow mo, i mean too much. The one thing that ill say is best about this film though is David Wenham, as Dilios. Wenham is a truly underrated actor who i tell you now is yet to do his best work, i can even see an Oscar for him. This film though, was the first i ever saw on my plasma tv. Something ill never forget, it was a perfect debut.
7.5/10

leestu

Shane (1953)
Dam, i have seen too few of your film leestu, and so i cant comment
N/A

W
Zoolander (2001)
YES! Someone else appreciates this! Its such a good romp. So funny, and yes it has some great quotes; 'what is this, a building for ants!'; 'magnum!'; and ' its in the computer!'. David Duchovny almost steals the show as the unheralded hand model. Yes i agree, Stiller, Wilson and Ferrell are superb here and the other Stiller too. Just hilarious!
10/10, 10 views
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I haven't been able to do a commentary on other picks because my semester is winding down and I've been busy with other things, such as school (I had to do an eight-minute speech on film censorship last week with a Powerpoint and everything). My finals week is also next week. I'll try to post feedback when I can.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Ron Burgundy wrote: thegreenarrow
Black Narcissus (1947)
Sometimes i wonder if SS is just doing this for you and adding his extra picks, again i cant comment on this one though because i haven't seen it.
N/A
I would never have movies like A Room With A View, An American Werewolf In Paris and Sleeping With The Enemy on my list. To be honest though we both love movies and have spent the last 9 years together watching a movie or two a night.Our list's are probably about 40% identical because of this. We have a lot of similar tastes, or at least they have diverged a little due to the time we have spent together, but I still much prefer sci fi/ action movies to her dramas/ golden age cinema. .

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Ron Burgundy wrote: numbersix
Jurassic Park (1993)
Well, it is a bit of a 90s blockbuster monster isn't it, not they low key drama thats few people have watched, are you sure you are ok Six?
I LOL'd :lol:
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Ron Burgundy wrote:....where Mr Pink doesn't want to pay his tip. You know, in Australia no-one pays tips, except maybe in bars to hot bartender chicks,
and I LOL'd at this. I see it in action nearly every Wed night at my local where I play my poker league.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #69

Shrykespeare

The Arrival (1996)
– Director: David Twohy; starring Charlie Sheen, Teri Polo and Ron Silver. This movie has never gotten the recognition it deserves. Yes, I know having Charlie Sheen as its one and, really, only easily-recognized star is not a selling point, but this is, on every level, one of the most intelligently-written, well-acted sci-fi stories of the 90’s. It didn’t have the bang and flash of Terminator 2, but it didn’t need to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JRwahO8eIc

silversurfer

Blade Runner (1982)
- Director: Ridley Scott; starring Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer and Sean Young. This may be as old as me, but man, it's still light years ahead of so many sci-fi movies. On the back of another sci-fi masterpiece in Alien, Ridley Scott was really at the top of his game here, where he created a brilliant dystopian vision of a future where man has developed the technology to create human clones called replicants. Also at the top of his game, Harrison Ford is immense in the lead as Deckard, a retired cop who specializes in terminating replicants who is quested with the mission to bring five of them down, while Rutger Hauer is chilling as his arch nemesis. Not many have been able to craft a Dick novel into something which actually works on the screen, but Scott managed to do that perfectly here, analysing many of his themes such as identity and memory and how such notions are so entwined. That last "tears in rain" speech, man, that gets me every time. Hauer was such a driving force in the movie and added so much depth to his character. Add in some awe inspiring cinematography (which has even been improved upon with the Final Cut) and iconically atmospheric music and you really have one of the absolute greatest sci-fi movies, and movies, ever created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPcZHjKJBnE

thegreenarrow

The Lady Vanishes (1938)
– Director: Alfred Hitchcock; starring Margaret Lockwood, Michael Redgrave, Paul Lukas and Dame May Whitty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dQB4dltCUE

transformers

The Lion King (1994)
- Director: Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff; starring Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, James Earl Jones and Jonathan Taylor Thomas. One of my favorite animated flicks ever. I have such fond memories of this film from my childhood. It's a really great story and it makes great use of musical numbers, which I don't tend to enjoy too much. A timeless animated flick that is heartbreaking, funny and touching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEVczA8PLU

englishozzy

Shane (1953)
- Director: George Stevens; starring Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin and Brandon De Wilde. My Grandad's favorite film also makes it into my own personal Top 100. Not much about this film that stands out about most films nowadays but for some reason it quietly grows on you as your watching it. Some great performances from the stars but the real winner for this film is the amazing landscapes shot which provides us for some classic scenes which are still in Top Lists around the Internet. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdd07SDHv5Q

Ron Burgundy

The Matrix (1999)
- Directors: The Wachowski Bros.; starring Keanu Reeves, Lawrence Fishburne, Carrie Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano and Hugo Weaving. When this first came out, I was blown away, it was a fairly ground breaking movie, with all the slo-mo. I think I had to watch it about 3 or 4 times before I really knew what was going on, I mean I was only 11 at the time. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX8Y5-BZLaM
(lobby scene)

Buscemi

Blade Runner (1982)
- Director: Ridley Scott; starring; Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Daryl Hannah and Edward James Olmos. Based on Philip K. Dick's story "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", this future-noir from director Ridley Scott (only his third film) and writers Hampton Fancher and David Peoples is a feast of fine visuals and a great Vangelis score along with top-notch directing and writing from the people mentioned. The work from behind the camera adds to the performances, especially from Ford's dark turn as Rick Deckard and Hauer's fine performance as the villainous replicant Roy Batty. As for which version to see, I've only seen the theatrical and director's cuts but the director's cut wins out for the ending (since it has the great line from Olmos that seals the film along with the fact that the director's cut ending makes you think about the characters and the meaning of the film). (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPcZHjKJBnE

Chienfantome

Full Metal Jacket (1987)
– Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Matthew Modine, R. Lee Ermey, Adam Baldwin and Vincent d’Onofrio. I think this was my introduction to Stanley Kubrick. I haven’t seen it when it was released of course, but it was the first of his I saw on TV. When I was 17, 18, 19 years old, it’s a film I have watched quite a few times. The first part of the film, the training at the camp, is at the same time gripping and so terribly grotesque, you hesitate between disgust and laughter. The second part in Vietnam continues to walk on a fine line between the tones. Kubrick masters sarcasm to depict the absurdity of war with Full Metal Jacket. The direction, in the Vietnam part, is especially astounding when you consider the film was entirely shot near London. There is no jungle here, he films in what appears to be ruins of a time that was but never will be again. An essential war film. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAvWQa64B8M

numbersix

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
- Director: John Frankenheimer; starring Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey and Angela Lansbury. If there is a blueprint for the conspiracy thrillers of the 1970’s, this film must be it. Frankenheimer’s nightmarish film follows Sinatra as a war vet with disturbing dreams who grows suspicious when his squad members all say the exact same thing about a murky episode. Investigating further, he uncovers a plot involving hypnosis, medical experiments, and a thirst for power that leads to the horrific. The film must have been a chock when it was released, due to its pervasive sense of mistrust in the US, not to mention the allusions to political corruptions and assassination attempts. And this was made BEFORE the assassination of JFK. A truly creepy and visionary film, especially when it’s all combined with the uncomfortable (if not incestuous) relationship between Harvey’s character and his mother (played by Angela Lansbury, of all people!). The remake isn’t bad, but the original has that extra punch.

Here’s the opening of the movie, which should have you hooked:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBDhoUZgsDo

Banks

Heathers (1989)
- Director: Michael Lehmann; starring Winona Ryder, Christian Slater and Shannen Doherty. When I saw Heathers for the first time, I was well aware of its classic status, specifically as one of the best high school movies of all time. What I didn’t know was how funny, how dark, how refreshingly twisted it would be. Whether it’s the instant classic quotables – “I love my dead gay son!” – or the subtle moments that dance the line between inappropriate and hilarious – Heather burns her hand with a car lighter and the first thing JD does is light his cigarette off of her burn, Heathers is one of those movies that you try to spread throughout the world, just so everyone can enjoy if as much as you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk6vqt782H8

BarcaRulz

The Lives of Others (2006)
- Directed By: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck; starring Ulrich Muhe, Martina Gedeck, and Sebastian Koch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppW5ml4vdw

Geezer

Major Payne (1995)
- Director: Nick Castle; starring: Damon Wayans, Karyn Parsons, Steve Martini and Ross Bickell. A hilarious comedy from my youth, just watched it recently and it holds up just as well. Its one of those comedies that is great for the whole family. It’s perfect. Damon Wayans plays one of the best characters ever put on screen. Cracks me up every time. Line after line of awesome. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkxvVug-iig

leestu

Rocky (1976)
– Director John G Avildsen; starring Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Carl Weathers and Burgess Meredith. Considering I don’t like Sylvester Stallone and I hate boxing, I did not to expect to like this movie when I first watched it, but the heart in this simple story shines through and surprisingly it reached me on an emotionally level. Even watching the trailer brings the feelings back. A truly inspiring classic movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7YmojUJagk

W

John Q (2002)
- Director: Nick Cassavetes; starring Denzel Washington, Robert Duvall, James Woods, Anne Heche, Eddie Griffin and Ethan Suplee. Though not at all believable, it's one of the better Denzel films out there. I screwed up and found out I only have 98 films in my top 100, so I moved up #102 and 101.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ljEiZWHoc

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

MOVIE #69

Shrykespeare
The Arrival (1996)
Wow, so many films i cant remember well in this round (im doing it from W first this time). And this is one i can remember the least, and for that reason i cant comment or rate. I do remember that Sheen wear glasses and sports a goatie, and that i didnt love the movie.
N/A

silversurfer
Blade Runner (1982)
Well after reading your comments on this, it really makes me want to watch it again. Im unable to remember this one properly for reasons that are silly, read my feedback on boosh.
6.5/10, 3 views

thegreenarrow
The Lady Vanishes (1938)
N/A

transformers
The Lion King (1994)
Yeah its a good movie thats for sure. Very heartwarming, especially the music. But i haven't seen this one for quite some time. Perhaps i should watch it again.
7.5/10, 7 views

englishozzy

Shane (1953)
N/A

Buscemi
Blade Runner (1982)
Well, i cant say too much about this because i was really young, really drunk and really stoned when i watched this in my 3 times. These days im not any of those anymore if i watch a movie so ill give it another go. I had heard so much about it, so i just whacked it on the tv, but all i can remember is Rutger Hauers android and the great futuristic scenery which im guessing is animated.
6.5/10, 3 views

Chienfantome
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
This is one of the best war movies ever made, Stanley Kubrick is one hell of a director and probably in my Top 5 of all time. This film is just so powerful, so engaging and it really hits home. The performances are fantatastic by pretty much everyone. 'Here is my rifle here is my gun', makes for a chilling scene halfway through by Private Pyle. Excellent pick mate.
10/10, 3 views

numbersix
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Sorry my net in remote Australia is too slow to view trailers, but when i get home ill make sure ill watch this in full, ive known about this one for a long time, pretty much since the remake came out. I thought the remake was so-so, so it would be nice to watch a better version.
N/A

Banks
Heathers (1989)
This was made in NZ wasn't it? I cant remember now. But yeah ive wanted to see this for a while, so it goes on the must see list.
N/A

BarcaRulz
The Lives of Others (2006)
Im actually glad to have seen this, just a few months ago, because i was looking for it in video shops everywhere for a while. Its certainly a good film, i thought some bits were a little boring, but it had some fine acting. The disc scratched about 10 minutes of the film out somewhere in the middle which really pissed me off. I know i need to see this again.
7/10, 1 view

Geezer
Major Payne (1995)
Well ive got this one on my harddrive and i watched this first part of it the other day again. But though i liked it heaps when i was younger, i cant say the same for nowadays.
5.5/10, 2 views

leestu
Rocky (1976)
Inspiring, yes, classic yes. The movie that made Sly Stallone, me and my old man used to piss ourselves when we quoted Rocky saying 'Adrian! Adrian!' near the end. But yeah, i love this character Rocky, and Burt Youngs character too (i forgot his name). A great 70s movie too, but it had to grow on me, i think i liked watching number 2, 3 and 4 more when i was young but now i come to appreciate this one as i should.
7.5/10, 3 views

W
John Q (2002)
I have only watched this once, and that was around about the time of its release. I can remember that Denzel was making a fair few films around this time and i had hardly missed one of his flicks. But as far as i can remember, i thought it was a little lacklustre, but not a bad movie.
6/10, 1 view
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Actually Ron, the scenery was pulled off using miniatures and regular set building. The Final Cut I think has some CGI but otherwise it is the handicraft often seen in the old days.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #70

Geezer - 300 - I agree wholeheartedly. Coming up later for me. (10/10)

numbersix - Jurassic Park - Just missed my list. Great choice. (9/10)

Barca/Rulz - Frost/Nixon - Terrific movie, outstanding performance by Langella. (9/10)

englishozzy - Slumdog Millionaire - Enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. (9/10)

MOVIE #69

Ron Burgundy - The Matrix - Awesome choice. Coming up later. (10/10)

Chienfantome - Full Metal Jacket - Not a fan of war films, but I did like this one. (8/10)

transformers - The Lion King - Like it, don't love it. (7/10)

Geezer - Major Payne - Funny at times, grating at others. (7/10)

leestu - Rocky - The original is a classic story. A must watch for any moviegoer. (7/10)

W - John Q - Not bad, but not something I'd actively seek out again. (6/10)

It's been so long since I've seen Blade Runner that I've forgotten most of it. I really should see it again.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - A fish called Wanda
A classic of my childhood/teen years. I think it was the film that introduced me to Cleese and Palin, and thus later, indirectly, to the Monty Pythons. I haven't seen it in years, but Im sure I'd have a great time rewatching it.

Surfer - 12 angry men
Great film. The cast is very strong, and the dialogues are great. I've seen it last year in a theater, it was fantastic. Another solid film from Lumet.

greenarrow - Black narcissus
I've never seen it... I would have needed a few lines to convince me to see it !

transformers - Dawn of the Dead
I haven't seen the original, I find the remake quite good, especially for a Znack Snyder film, whose next films I have not liked...

ozzy - Slumdog Millionaire
I hope this one won't appear much in our Top 100, because like V for Vendetta, I think it's one very, very overrated film. It's so minor, if I had wanted to watch Who wants to be a millionaire, I would have watched TV...

Ron B - Heat
Great choice ;)

Buscemi - Reservoir Dogs
Second appearance, but I'm sure it will pop up again, although not in my Top. I could have put it up there, almost, but in the end did not. But it' still such a slick and groovy gangster movie, a defining film of the 90's.

Six - Jurassic Park
One of the best blockbusters ever. Gripping, funny, thrilling, an adventure that took us beyond our own imagination back then, and that is still a reference in the genre. Simply aùazing.

Banks - 40 year-old virgin
One of the best comedies of the past decade. Full of great characters and unforgettable lines.

Barca - Frost/Nixon
Really ? 'm a bit disapppointed after the good french flicks you picked, to find this correct but unremarkable film by Ron Howard. I'm sure you have better in store in the next few rounds ;)

Geezer - 300
Please, let it be the only occurence of this film in our Tops... I exagerate a bit, but I wanted so much of this film, in the end I found it so dull, so tiring, and so forgettable... Snyder is overrated (bang ! that's a statement lol)

leestu - Shane
Aaaah, leestu, here's one film I have not seen ! I like westerns, why not !

W - Zoolander
That's a killer comedy ! Insanely funny. Great characters, deliciously stupids. I could watch it over and over.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #70

Shrykespeare: A Fish Called Wanda (1988) – Very funny movie, with a lot going on. It's been a while and I need to rewatch it.

silversurfer: 12 Angry Men (1957) - I enjoyed this film, though visually it never really got beyond being a play filmed with cameras. It could have used some visual ambition. Plus, as a story it is somewhat depressing at the end to see how sense is manipulated not only by prior prejudices, but also by vigour (as the argument turns you can't help but feel what's happening isn't about the case but about them).

thegreenarrow: Black Narcissus (1947) – The DVD is on its way to me. Can't wait!

transformers: Dawn of The Dead (2004) - You're right, it's probably the best horror remake around (unless you think Evil Dead 2 is a remake). Not a perfect film for me, because it's more about action than character interaction (Romero always used zombie films to show the nastier side of society) but it's a pretty intense flick.

englishozzy: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - As I said, it's still over-rated, and the end just falls apart. But visually stunning.

Chienfantome and Ron Burgundy: Heat - Sorry guys, I really don't think this film works. Chien, I really don't see how you think De Niro is good in this. For me it's just typical of his later career in which he looks tough but offers almost nothing else as an actor. As a solitary figure surely after watching some French New Wave you know heat offers nothing different, new, or enjoyable about this tough-guy figure?

Buscemi: Reservoir Dogs (1992) - Any budding film maker should watch this film. You're right, despite its tiny budget it doesn't feel cheap, due to the great performances and masterly grasp of dialogue.

numbersix: Jurassic Park (1993) - Lol, no, I didn't lose my mind, I really do like this. I've said this before, but just because a film is a blockbuster or "mainstream", that doesn't mean I'm going to dislike it. I treat arthouse films in the same regard as blockbusters, and I don't treat either as different. It's all about story, direction, performance, etc. And while most of my Top 100 are indie and foreign films, great blockbusters are right up there among them too. So expect some more from me!

Banks: The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) - My favourite comedy of the last decade. Love it. Funny and honest.

BarcaRulz: Frost/Nixon (2008) - A perfect example of how good performances don't make a good movie. Langella and Sheen are amazing, but the story is a little dull. Especially when you look into the truth and realise how much of it is fiction. So remove the "truth", and there's very little there.

Geezer: 300 (2006) - Some cool visuals and a good soundtrack, but it rings hollow for me. It's nothing but a visual experience for me. Look beyond the surface and there's nothign there. Plus, Dominic West's performance is terrible. McNulty, what has become of you?!?

leestu: Shane (1953) – Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I know I should see this.

W: Zoolander (2001) - Very funny stuff. It gets a tad dull with the same ol "I'm stoopid" joke, but there's good support from Ferrell and Wilson.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - The Arrival
I have seen this a couple of times on video a decade back. There were some interesting stuff in it, the sense of paranoia, but in the end it's a minor B alien movie starring Charlie Sheen...

Surfer - Blade Runner
It was only a matter of days before it would finally appear in a Top, and it's fully deserved. I have recently seen the Final Cut, or Director's Cut, I don't know how it's entitled exactly, and it was a blast. The visual universe is outstanding, the dark atmosphere so hallucinating. It was back when Ridley Scott was going to become one of the greatest filmmakers of his generation, but time did not suit him very well... At least he's got a few important films on his resume, including this Blade Runner. Good choice Surfer.

greenarrow - The Lady Vanishes
I'm pretty sure I haven't seen this Hitchcock. one day I hope I'll have seen all his films...

transformers - The Lion King
It's the last great Disney animated of my generation. It was when I was a kid/teen. After this one, the Disney stuff looked more generic, less surprising, less impressive. It's not my favourite Disney whe it comes to the screenplay, but the animation was grandiose at the time, and some of the musical numbers were fantastic. Good Disney, although I prefer "Beauty and the Beast" from that time.

Ozzy - Shane
Well well, here's that Shane western I haven't seen again. I'll keep an eye on it.

Ron B - The Matrix
I've already listed it, so obvisouly I love it. groundbreaking and unforgettable film experience.

Buscemi - Blade Runner
Wow, twice in the same round, and I can only agree with the film's presence in your Tops, guys.

Six - The manchurian candidate
I have never seen this. In fact, before they remade it with Washington and Schreiber, I had barely heard of it. I'll watch it one of these days.

Banks - Heathers
This one is not much known in France. I've never seen it, and never really meant to. If it appears again in this Top, maybe I'll give it a try !

Barca - The lives of others
I haven't seen it since theater, but it sure was one of the most impressive film I had seen that year. The chilling look at Eastern Germany and the Stasi was absolutely fascinating. I can't believe that the director took so many years to come up with another film, and that it is "The Tourist", which, given the french film it's based on, should not be essential...

Geezer - Major Payne
Still haven't seen it, and still don't intend to...

leestu - Rocky
Like I said before, I'm not very fond of the Rocky character and film saga, not even the first one, although I have not seen it in years.

W - John Q
I haad seen this in theater, and did not like it a bit. I have difficulty liking Nick Cassavetes' films, it's too cheesy for my own taste. I'd like to see "She's so lovely", though.
Fluctuat nec mergitur