Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #3): 80-71

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #3): 80-71

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sorry, Barca, it was an oversight. Won't happen again.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Movie #72

Shrykespeare: A Bug’s Life (1998) – I remember the first time I watched this and was a little let down after the euphoria of Toy Story. It's not a bad movie, but I don't think it's up there with Pixar's best. Having said that it's been a while since I last watched it, and I think it was aimed at a younger audience that many other Pixar movies, but it still maintained all the hallmarks of the sentiments Pixar use in all their movies. Good, but just not great. (6/10)

thegreenarrow: Fight Club (1999) - Brilliant movie, great soundtrack, one of Norton's best performances (while ably supported by Pitt and Bonham-Carter) and a stunning finale. Absolute classic and expect to see it many, many times on here. (10/10)

transformers: Grandma's Boy (2006) - Can't say it's anything I've ever seen, but your introduction did little to heighten my interest. Unless there is some extra element to the movie, stoner comedies just don't appeal. I'll check the trailer later to see if that changes. (N/A)

englishozzy: The Italian Job (1969) - Definitely prefer this over the remake, it has that unequivocal British cool of the 60s running throughout, and the actual heist is a thrill from the start to the last scene. I love the ambiguous ending too. Haven't watched it for a very long time, as I had it on VHS but never upgraded to DVD, would like to see it again some time. (7/10)

Ron Burgundy: In Bruges (2008) - I was truly surprised by this, Farrell's best role to date for me. Brendan Gleeson is such an underrated actor though, he provided the perfect balance to Farrell's flamboyance. At moments hilarious with a razor sharp script, while the cinematography made Bruges look like somewhere you would truly WANT to visit! (7.5/10)

Buscemi: Sideways (2004) - To be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by this. It has some outstanding acting and the setting is beautiful, but I just wasn't drawn in by the characters perhaps as much as I should have been. I was given it on DVD so maybe I should give it another try, but i feel it was a little too slow paced (which isn't always a bad thing) to maintain my attention. (5/10)

Chienfantome: Breathless (Ddongpari) (2009) – Never heard of it, but it sounds fascinating and has gone straight onto my must watch list. I feel I've watched quite a few Korean movies over the years, so to hear of some more I've missed out on is great. (N/A)

numbersix: The Long Goodbye (1973) - Now this I have heard of, and I've watched a few Altman movies and found them a little hit and miss (misses were The Deliquents, Pret A Porter, hits were Gosford Park and The Player), but I haven't seen this one before. Sounds exactly like my kind of movie so will look forward to finding it. (N/A)

Banks: The Fifth Element (1997) - Not my favourite Besson movie, but certainly highly enjoyable. I love the costume design for this one too, Jean Pierre Gaultier did a fantastic job of recreating a futuristic wardrobe, and Oldman basically amps up the absurdity of his Leon character but it works terrifically. Good movie. (8/10)

BarcaRulz: The Night of the Hunter (1955) - Absolute classic, and 'chilling' is the best word I can use to describe Mitchum in this. He truly was one of the greatest bad guys of all time, and he is mesmerizing as he hunts the children down. Need to watch this again too actually, been a good five years or so since my last viewing. (8/10)

Geezer: The Bad News Bears (1976) - To be honest, not being from the US this kind of movie (although its generally the same with most sports movies) doesn't appeal to me, so I've never watched it. I didn't know Jackie Earl Haley was acting way back then though! (N/A)

leestu: It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) – I went into this movie with high expectaions being a fan of Stewart and hearing so much about how great it was. In the end it was a little meh. Probably a case of just not being able to live up to its own ridiculous hype, but ultimately I just didn't connect in possibly the way I should have. (6/10)

W: Heavy Weights (1995) - Again, just not my thing at all. (N/A)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Movie #71

Shrykespeare: The Fifth Element (1997) – I too have watched this so many times. Not that it particularly reveals anything more in regards to plot on further viewings, it's just a whole lot of fun. Twice in two days! (8/10)

thegreenarrow:A Room For Romeo Brass (1999)- One of the strongest coming of age stories I've seen in a long while, at times it's funny and touching, other times dark and disturbing; the movie goes through the emotions and twists and turns at every opportunity. Certainly my second favourite Meadows movie, as while it doesn't harness the directness and sheer bravado of Dead Man's Shoes, it certainly makes up for with complex characters all of who are brilliantly acted. (9/10)

transformers: Predator (1987) - You are dead right, there are not many sc-fi/ action movies better than this. McTiernan was in hot form with this and Die Hard in the late 80s, he really knew how to amp up the tension and the Predator was an awesome deadly foe. Arnie at the end when he smears the mud over himself to avoid the heat seeking alien was awesome, one of the greatest action scenes ever. (8.5/10)

englishozzy: Patch Adams (1998) - I guess we all have our guilty pleasures, but seriously? This isn't even in the top 5 of Williams' comedy movies. Can't really think of anything positive to say about this, I'm afraid. (2/10)

Ron Burgundy: Collateral (2004) - Totally took me by surprise, this one. Cruise in one of very best roles and the partnership with Foxx was very well achieved. Good acting and a strong well paced script. Not an all time favourite, but would never turn this off. (7.5/10)

Buscemi: High and Low (1962) - I've watched quite a few Kurosawa movies now, but I haven't seen this one yet. The premise sounds great, I always thought the idea of the Gibson movie was decent enough, just that it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. If you get a master like Kurosawa behind the camera though, I have no doubt this would turn out awesome. Definitely on my must see list now. (N/A)

Chienfantome: On connait la chanson (1997) – Sounds interesting, I haven't seen a clip yet but will check it out later. Can't hepl but think of that damn Elton John video though when you mention original songs being mimed by the actors... (N/A)

numbersix: Gattaca (1997) - I'm so glad someone else picked this as this was one of the final few which I cut from my own list. It's such a beautifully constructed sci-fi thriller, the pacing is sublime and the acting top notch. I must have watched this movie over ten times now but each viewing gets my heart pumping when Law has to make that dash up the staircase to answer the door despite having to drag his entire body. And you're dead right, the music is such a strong accompaniment to the movie, which looks stunning with it's futuristic grey/blue tint. A movie which touches so many different concepts of what it means to be human. Great pick. (9/10)

Banks: Fargo (1996) - Spot on, an absolute delight from start to finish, with delightfully strange characters and ridiculous set pieces, exactly what we have come to expect from the Coens. Not my favourite of theirs, but it's damn well close. (10/10)

BarcaRulz: The 400 Blows (1959) - Well obviously I too love this, and you are spot on in your analysis. That final scene can mean so many different things to different people, which I guess says something about what makes a brilliant piece of film (10/10)

Geezer: Blow (2001) - To be honest I've only watched it once and I can't really remember too much about it. Don't know if that's a good thing, but I don't remember hating it either. It was just a little 'meh', I guess. (5/10)

leestu:Leon (aka The Professional) (1994) – ANOTHER awesome movie this round. Wow, it's been one of the best so far. And this is up there with the absolute best. Although I thoroughly enjoyed Gary Oldman in The Fifth Element, he was at his absolute peak here as the drug taking, Bach listening homicidal maniac of a cop! And with Jean Reno in his most bad-ass form and Portman showing her talent at such a young age, it has always been a spectacular watch. Dunno how many times I've seen it, but I watched it again a couple of months ago and I still hope that Reno escapes the building at the end. You just cling onto his character so much that it's heartbreak when he gets gunned down. Absolute classic (10/10)

W: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) - While I'll admit Wilder was the quintessential Wonka, and that first scene of him hobbling down towards the entrance gates before taking a full somersault is brilliant, for the most part this strayed a little too far from the source material and I can't stand the musical numbers. Having said that, I was pretty much brought up on this (another of my grandparents five or so videos they would throw on when we came to visit), so i have a little nostalgia towards it, but in all honesty I prefer the new one more (and I konw I'll get crucified for that!). (5/10)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - The Fifth Element
Wow, this one realy is popular. Hey, do you that this is actually a French film ? Yes it is. It is 100% french financed, despite Willis, Oldman, Jovovich, Holm, Tucker and Luke Perry (don't you forget about him, guys^^) big sci-fi, this is a French film. And a damn good one, yes, congrats Shryke ;)

Surfer - Belleville rendez-vous
Okay, two french films in a row. After sci-fi, animation. This is such a refreshing film, so unpexected, so original. I must say that there were moments while watching it I was slightly bored, but it's still great. Chomet is quite a surprising director, and I am sure, Surfer, that you will love his new film, "The Illusionist", which is another very delicate film. It's an hommage to French director Jacque Tati, nostalgic, funny and poetic. Keep an eye on it ;)

greenarrow - A room for Romeo Brass
There has been very few Shade Meadows films released in France, and this one doesn't ring any bell.

transformers - Predator
I haven't seen it very often, only once or twice I don't remember, and I gotta admit I was kind of disappointed by it. I don't remember why, but I was disappointed. I think I was almost bored while watching it. McTiernan has done much, much better.

Ozzy - Patch Adams
Really ? I haven't seen it.

Ron B - Collateral
Well it's definitely Mann's best film in the 2000 decade, but it does not say much as that decade was very unconvincing for him. But this is a gripping, vivid film, featuring one of Cruise's best performances.

Buscemi - High and Low
This is a Kurosawa film I have never film. I have mixed feelings towards Kurosawa, as he sometimes gets me bored (Dodeskaden and Madadayo, I almost fell asleep watching them...). But he has also come up with Rashomon and Kagemusha, and I thank him for that ;)

Six - Gattaca
Excellent choice, Six. This is an essential film of the nineties, and more generally and essential sci-fi film, so different from most of the films from the genre. It's cleverly written, and its depiction of the future is at the same time highly melancholic and incredibly fascinating, almost magical. A great, great film.

Banks - Fargo
And here's another great film. I almost put it on my own list, like I've already said. My second favorite Coen film, in which the oh-so delicious tone of the brothers fits perfectly with their crazy and yet simple story.

Barca - The 400 blows
Another French film from you Barca, and the third french film in this round, impressive. One of Truffaut's best films, and an important film of French cinema.

Geezer - Blow
I don't have much to say about this one. I had seen it in theater, and did not like it.

Leestu - Leon (The Professional)
Okay, can we call this the French round ? :lol: I know it's another english-speaking film, but it's another french film, and anothe by Besson. I have a strange relationshipe with Leon. One time I am bored with it, one time I love it. I have seen it 3 or 4 times, and each time I feel differently about it. If I remember correctly, the last time I saw it, I was bored by it. But it is one of the most watchable Besson films.

W - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
I've read the book, and I've seen Burton's bad version, but I have never seen this version.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Sorry for the absence, folks, I was at a music festival (Shryke, Weird Al played his first ever European gig, and I bumped into him beforehand and said hello to him!)

Shrykespeare
A Bug’s Life (1998)– I still think there's far better Pixar stuff around. This isn't bad, but it's not exceptional
The Fifth Element (1997) – I'm seeing a lot of this, and I really consider it to be a bit hollow. Like a cabaret version of Blade Runner or seomthing. And am I the only one who wanted to strangle Tucker?

silversurfer
Girl, Interrupted (1999) - Sorry, SS, but I really disliked this film. Firstly, you may appreciate Ryder's looks, and there's nothign wrong with that, but as an actress she never got beyond the jaded teen performance. She's never impressed me and pretty much sleepwalks through movies, including this. Her performance just doesn't cut it, and while Jolie's demands more attention, it's a little too cliched "nuts" for me. In fact, the entire film is deeply underwhelming, like a conscious attempt to make a girl's One Flew OVer the Cuckoo's Nest, or a rip-off of Plath's over-rated novel The Bell Jar.
Belleville Rendez Vous (The Triplets of Belleville) (2003) - Ah, that's more like it. I saw this on Christmas day in 2004 as it was a double bill with Amelie (which I had already seen). I thought it would pass the time, but I ended up loving it, despite the bizarre animation!

thegreenarrow
Fight Club (1999) - Enjoyable movie that definitely touches on something about modern society, but perhaps isn't as effective at expressing itself as the makers wanted to.
A Room For Romeo Brass (1999) - I'm a fan of Meadows but have yet to see this. Definitely on my list of Films to See!

transformers
Grandma's Boy (2006)- Haven't seen it, doesn't sound like my kinda thing.
Predator (1987) - Another one of your films that almost made my list. A very entertaining sci-fi action flick, where the tension lies in simply not knowing who the enemy is, and watching the tough guys realise that. It's another critique of American foreign policy but that's hardly an important element. It's the action that makes this so re-watchable.

englishozzy
The Italian Job (1969) - Meh. It's considered to be a classic but it just feels like a throwaway caper, and it's very forgettable. The prison scenes were filmed in Dublin though!
Patch Adams (1998) - You're lucky I haven't seen this film fully, because from what I saw it seemed to be the most manipulative, predictable, awful film Williams has even made, and he has made some stinkers!

Ron Burgundy
In Bruges (2008) - I've only seen it once, and I need to do so again to really see if it's a good film, but after that first viewing I really loved it. His brother has a film coming out next year called The Guard, starring Gleeson, and it's meant to be similar in tone.
Collateral (2004) - Nope, didn't like it at all. Cruise's character is ridiculous, it doesn't make sense that he keeps the same taxi driver, there's some atrocious dialogue (the jazz bar scene), the plot is contrived, and I didn't buy Foxx's character.

Buscemi
Sideways (2004) - Almost made my Top 100, as you may have noticed. One of the best road movies of the last decade, and Giamatti is perfect.
High and Low (1962) - Haven't seen it, I really should.

Chienfantome
Breathless (Ddongpari) (2009) and On connait la chanson (1997)– Not surprisingly, I haven't seen either,m but I do trust your taste so will check out the trailers and add them to my list!

Banks
The Fifth Element (1997) - See my comments above.
Fargo (1996) - A great, great film. Great performances, very funny, and a beautiful soundtrack.

BarcaRulz
The Night of the Hunter (1955)- I've only seen this once, and subsequent viewings may shoot this into my Top 100. But it's a very well made and unnerving thriller.
The 400 Blows (1959) - Good to see this pop up in another Top 100 list. While it didn't make mine, it's one of the many examples of a classic deserving its status.

Geezer
The Bad News Bears (1976) - Haven't seen it, though I am a fan of Matthau.
Blow (2001) - I've seen parts of it, and it seemed pretty routine to me. But not all of it.

leestu
It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) – It's a very beautiful, uplifting film. Geez, it's totally worth watching, especially around this time of year!
Leon (aka The Professional) (1994) – Ahhh, the film that started my crush of Natalie Portman (easy, guys, I saw it when I was 13). I think that's really why I enjoy the film, as opposed to it being good in itself. But... Oldman is fascinating in being so OTT (like Nicholson in Batman), and the siege scene is pretty good.

W
Heavy Weights (1995) - Haven't seen it, not interested.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) - I've a soft spot for this, but probably because it was darker than the usual kiddie fare (like the floating scene or the girl who almost explodes)- and still darker than the laboured attempt made by Burton to adapt the book more accurately. And Pure Imagination is a wonderful song.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

OKay, up until now, I hadn't written a comment about the each of us's 10 fils of the thread, but I figure since most of you do so, I should do the same, right ?

Shryke
Not a bad thread for you my friend. Two films I deeply love (Raiders and Back to the future), a couple of Pixar, even if far from the best of them, one of last year's best films, and my favourite Besson film. Seen 9 out of your 10 films, Bloodposrt being the one missing.

Surfer
A strong 10 for you, Surfer. Only one film I have never seen (Rififi), a couple I haven't seen in a looooong time (Rosemary and Nightmare), and in the other films, only Girl, Interrupted has me ticking. Favourite of this round : His Girl Friday.

Greenarrow
3 films I haven't seen in your 10, green. One film that gets on my nerve for being way too popular (guess which...), and some great films life Before Sunset, Fight Club and Roger Rabbit. Favourite film : Harold & Maude, but congrats for Bombon el perro !

transformers
Not too bad, tranny, some good films like Clerks and Team America. Nothing outstanding, altough time will tell for Inception... Favourite film : Clerks. Only one film unseen, Grandma's boy.

Ozzy
Two films I haven't seen, The Italian Job and Patch Adams. The rest is surprisingly good (Star Trek), funny (Tropic Thunder), nice (Up in the Air), or iconic (The Fellowship). V for Vendetta, Ice Age, Black Hawk Down, not for me. Favourite : Fellowship of the ring

Ron B
I'm not a big fan of this round of your, Ron, despite Ghost Dog. I've seen 10 out of 10, but nothing is really essential for me in your choices this round (despite Ghost Dog, again ;) )

Buscemi
Diversity is a word that describe your choices, Buscemi. I have seen 6 of your choices this round, if I count Grindhouse as seen although I have not seen it in this form. Sometimes your choices are so diverse, opposite and unexpected that they seem unpersonal, but it's certainly just an impression as I'm sure it can seem the same with me. Favourite film : The Last Metro.

Six
Eight out of 10 for you, with The Long Goodbye and Purple Rose of Cairo missing for me. A few films I like but do not really looove, but two amazing films in your list, Six, "In the mood for love" and "Gattaca". Favourite : In the mood for love.

Banks
I don't know if I've seen 8 or 9 of your choices, Banks, as I don't remember if I've seen Rush Hour. But finding Nemo was in my 110-101, Heat appeared recently on my list too, and Fargo barely missed it. So great round. Favourite : Heat.

Barca
9 out of 10 films seen. Your french taste really revealed itself this round, Barca, with three films listed including two excellent ones, 400 Blows and Au revoir les enfants. Good job ! Favourite french film : Au revoir les enfants.

Geezer
Only 6 films seen in your list, Geezer. A couple of great among them, Psycho and Forrest Gump, and a nice one, The Departed. Favourite film : Psycho.

JohnL
2 seen out of 4, love The Lord of the Rings !

leestu
Lately it seems you choose films I have seen, after a few rounds where films I had not seen, or even heard of, came one after the other. I have seen 8 out of the 10 films you listed, with two highlight, Oldboy and Farewell my Concubine. And thank you for making me discover the existence of "7 Up", which I am very eager to see now ! Favourite film : Oldboy.

W
only 6 I have seen out of ten for you too, W. It's good to see Kramer vs. Kramer, a film I probably would have listed in a Top 150. Favourite : The Matrix.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And now I'll briefly summarise this round....

Shrykespeare - Average: 6
An improvement for you, Shrykey. While a lot of your films were average to me, you had undeniable classics like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future.

silversurfer - Average: 6.88
Ahh, SS, you were doing so well this round, averaging over 7 and thus being the best but then you picked a stinker like Girl Interrupted and lowering your average. But besides that it was another round of great, great films, with The 400 Blows and His Girl Friday being the highlights.

thegreenarrow - Average: 6
Another solid round for you, Mrs SS. Good to see some appreciation for Shane Meadows, even if I haven't seen your pick. Pity about V for Vendetta ;)

transformers - Average: 5.88
A bit of a drop from last round for ya, but Inception and Team America are both good flicks!

englishozzy - Average: 5.67
Nothing really stood out from your list (LoTR: FotR was the best) - sorry!

Ron Burgundy - Average: 5.67
Same as Ozzy, actually, which makes sense considering the rating is the same. A few decent picks but nothing extraordinary for me.

Buscemi - Average 6.33
I've seen very few of your picks, and some of them I really should see, but of the ones I have seen, they were good (except Grindhouse: that sucked).

Chienfantome - Average 6.4
Lots of films I haven't seen either, but the ones I haven't seem fascinating. From what I had seen, I adored Groundhog Day and The Sweet Hereafter. Good work!

Banks - Average 5.7
Good to see Fargo there, but the rest didn't amaze me.

BarcaRulz - Average 6.7
A very impressive round for you, Barca. I find Heat to be totally overrated but besides that you had some truly great films, especially The Big Lebowski.

John L - Average 7
Sorry to see John L go, as he had some great picks.

Geezer - Average 5.4
No surprise that our tastes differ immensely, though I haven't seen a lot of your picks. And if it wasn't for Armageddon your average would have been 6.2!

leestu - Average 7
An excellent list of films, Leetsu. Oldboy is a modern classic, and Wonderful Life is a classic classic!

W - Average 5.33
Even with Armageddon Geez didn't get the worst rating. Sorry W, but besides Wall E I pretty much disliked most of your picks, especially those early 90's crapfest comedies.

In total 28 films in my Top 100 have already appeared in your lists. And Tranny is still the only one without a film shared. Hopefully that will change. SS, 8 of your films are in my list, with plenty more to come, I imagine.

Here's the films added to my Must See List from this Round:
Rififi
Coming Home
The Chaser
Bride of Frankenstein
The Women
The Last Metro
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Ba Wang Bie Ji (Farewell My Concubine)
Harold And Maude
A Room For Romeo Brass

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

...I can't believe Chien hasn't seen Willy Wonka. I figured it would be a cinephile must, but I guess it isn't like that in the rest of the world. Am I right?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Roald Dahl's book is a classic in France, but Willy Wonka is not a classic film here. I barely knew the film before Burton decided to make a new version of Dahl's book. Unfortunately I haven't seen everything ;) But I generally have a good ratio of films seen among others' Top 100s :smile:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Thread Review:

Shrykespeare: A bit of an up and down 10 from you, with some great stuff in District 9, Raiders of The Lost Ark, Back To The Future and The Fifth Element, all balanced out though by Cars, In The Line Of Fire, A Bugs Life and Bloodsport. And you only get away with Con Air as it's a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. One of your movies made my own list this round, hopefully considering almost half your picks have been on others lists so far we'll see a couple more converging over the next round.

Favourite Movie: Back To The Future
Average Score: 6.67 (9 movies)
Overall Average: 6.63

thegreenarrow: Bar a slightly dodgy start with Fried Green Tomatoes and A Room With A View, a phenomenol round (as I would expect from my wife!). Some of my absolute favourites here, so a delight to see and review.

Favourite Movie: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Average Score: 8.5 (10 movies)
Overall Average: 8.25

transformers: Some really good picks this round, especially in the sci-fi/comic genre, which despite none of them making my top 100 were all movies I thoroughly enjoy and some which were very close to making my list. However, balance that out with Braveheart , which holds pretty big leverage!

Favourite Movie: Predator
Average Score: 6.93 (8 movies)
Overall Average: 6.76

englishozzy
Apart from the last abberation this was a pretty strong round, while despite only having one movie which made my top 110, there were many that I have certainly enjoyed over the years. Still feel a little dissapointed by the outcome of Tropic Thunder though, which had the potential to be really good.

Favourite Movie: V For Vendetta
Average Score: 6.61 (9 movies)
Overall Average: 6.08

Ron Burgundy
A steady, if unspectacular round this time, with plenty of movies I'd happily watch if they came on tv, but few I actually seek out. Having said that, it was good to see In Bruges turn up on your countdown, it was one of my favourites from 2008, while X-Men, Collateral and True Lies are also cool.

Favourite Movie: True Lies
Average Score: 5.61 (9 movies)
Overall Average: 6.23

Buscemi
Unfortunately I've seen barely any of this rounds movies from your list, which is a shame as for the most part I've really liked your picks so far. Guess I'll have to add quite a few of these to my must see list. I will definitely be watching Coming Home in the next couple of days so hopefully that matches your assessment.

Favourite Movie: Bride Of Frankenstein
Average Score: 6 (3 movies)
Overall Average: 6.98

Chienfantome
Again, I feel if I had the opportunity to watch a few more of your picks your score would be higher. Both yourself and Boussh's averages have dropped this round precisely for that reason. I really like the sound of The Chaser and Breathless, while you had some decent picks in The Matrix and Groundhog Day.

Favourite Movie: The Matrix
Average Score: 6.4 (5 movies)
Overall Average: 7.11

numbersix
For the most part another round of awesomeness, with 3 movies which overlapped with my own in this round alone! Some beautiful dramas in In The Mood For Love, Gattaca and American Splendor. and some of the best animations in Princess Mononoke and Toy Story. Once again you've set the bar.

Favourite Movie: Toy Story
Average Score: 9 (7 movies)
Overall Average: 9.02

Banks
A very decent set of movies, one of which found it's way onto my own top 100. I own 7 of these on DVD so I must like the majority of them, with a nice mix of animation, comedy (bar Rush Hour), and sci-fi. Keep this up, a really enjoyable round.

Favourite Movie: Fargo
Average Score: 7.25 (10 movies)
Overall Average: 6.75

BarcaRulz
A really strong round Barca, with 3 movies which made my top 100 and another 3 which were very close. Still need to watch Au Revoir Les Enfants, and I'll keep and eye out for Eulogy and Tais-Toi!

Favourite Movie: Shaun Of The Dead
Average Score: 7.75 (8 movies)
Overall Average: 7.72

Geezer
Started off pretty decently with Psycho and The Departed, but overall I either haven't seen or don't like what you picked this round, I'm afraid.

Favourite Movie: Psycho
Average Score: 6 (6 movies)
Overall Average: 6.16

JohnL
Where'd he go? Great start to this round with 2 movies in my own top 100, but I'd have liked to see more.

Favourite Movie: Trainspotting
Average Score: 8.37 (4 movies)
Overall Average: 7.5

leestu
Another superb round Leestu, with 3 movies again making my own list, but it could quite easily have been 5 with the awesome Serenity and District 9. Certainly one of the strongest of the round, with only Finding Neverland and It's A Wonderful Life failing to wow me.

Favourite Movie: Leon
Average Score: 8.38 (9 movies)
Overall Average: 8.34

W
Ah, W.... well I was pleased to see a marked improvement this round, certainly more movies I liked than not, with one even making my own top 100. I want to watch The Twilight Zone movie, even if it doesn't match up to the original series, and I know I hsould get round to Kramer Vs. Kramer one day too. Just try and keep the likes of Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead well away from your countdown.

Favourite Movie: The Matrix
Average Score: 6.7 (5 movies)
Overall Average: 5.92

Now onto the next round....

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Surfer, John's computer crashed, burned, and ate his list, and until he gets another computer, he couldn't continue, and he'd have to basically start from scratch, and the effort probably isn't worth it for him.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Tough break, I lost my laptop last year with so much stuff on, it's an absolute bastard. Never mind, would have been good to see his coming selections. You'll just have to make up for him now by picking kick ass movies from here on out!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Haha, my picks will continue to not surprise anyone, as my taste has been pretty clearly defined for several years now around here.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

MUST SEE LIST

1. Dead Mans Shoes
2. How to Train Your Dragon
3. To Kill A Mockingbird
4. Kramer Vs Kramer
5. The Last Temptation of Christ
6. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
7. The Purple Rose of Cairo
8. Drag Me to Hell
9. Rosemary's Baby
10. The Chaser
11. Nueve Reinas
12. Braindead
13. Watership Down
14. The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
15. Poltergiest
16. Kind Hearts and Coronets
17. Young Frankenstein
18. Wong Fei Hung (Once Upon a Time in China)
19. A Women Under the Influence
20. High and Low
21. Spartacus
22. Koyaanisqatsi
23. On the Waterfront
24. Heavyweights
25. The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974)
26. Point Blank (1967)
27. Blood Simple
28. Lifeboat
29. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
30. Metropolis
31. Mr Smith Goes to Washington
32. Bonnie and Clyde
33. Breathless
34. Cape Fear
35. Les Patriots (The Patriot)
36. Scrooged
37. Dave
38. Candy
39. Lord of War
40. Punch Drunk Love
41. American Splendour
42. Riffifi
43. Triplets of Belleville
44. The Birds
45. Superman
46. Touch of Evil
47. Election
48. The Magnificent Seven
49. Copycat
50. His Girl Friday
51. Giant
52. The Apartment
53. Finding Neverland
54. Abre Los Ojos (open your eyes)
55. Picnic at Hanging Rock
56. Breakfast At Tiffanys
57. The Last Metro
58. Two Lane Black Top
59. Primer
60. Miracle
61. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
62. The Long Goodbye
63. Coming Home
64. Bride of Frankenstien
65. The Hurt Locker
66. La Regle Du Jeu
67. Dan In Real Life
68. The 400 Blows
69. Accepted

Wow, its almost embarrasing to list all of these on the must see list, but at least it will keep me busy. I will post when i watch one of these and comment on whether it should have been higher or lower on the list. I cant wait to see the top 20 already!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Better late than never (I only really get the time to work on this on the weekends), here is my wrap up of this thread.

Shryke: Well we got our first cross over movie, District 9, and similarly placed too. I know from your comments that we have more than one, but so far this is the only one that you have picked that’s on mine, the rest are ones I have picked that are still to come on yours, so technically from my perspective, still just the one. However this set of ten is different from any other so far in that I think it is the first set of ten from anyone where I have seen all ten movies. I haven’t gone back to check but I don’t recall it happening before. None I dislike, even Copycat is a decent enough serial killer thriller that I would watch again. Raiders and Back to the Future are the best of the bunch though, apart from D9 of course.

Surfer: Only one cross over that I know about – Rosemary’s Baby – and that was a good surprise to see. I didn’t expect it to appear on anyone else's list. Apart from that High Fidelity is an excellent movie; Nightmare and Girl, Interrupted are decent enough; Sin City, whilst being a good movie, I felt a bit let down by (possibly another case of blame the hype). I have been meaning to see Triplets of Belleville for a while now (hey, including Belle you had three movies in a row with girl in the title :D ), and I have added Rififi and His Girl Friday to my queue.

Greenarrow: Another crossover with Fight Club, keeps you in equal second behind Surfer. What a duo! Fried Green Tomatoes is not bad for a chick flick, good enough for me to have watched a couple of times, Cape Fear was awesome, but Harold and Maude was your best pick. A bit of a cult classic that I have watched a few times now and I considered it for my own list. It didn’t make the final cut but it was in with a chance. Very good pick.

Transformers: Nothing from my list in your ten movies picked here but I loved Team America. Clerks was pretty good and First Blood is one of the better action movies out there. I liked Predator when I watched it as a kid, but I recently rewatched it only a couple of months ago, and I didn’t like it anywhere near as much as I did then.

Ozzy: A decent enough set of movies without any that I would rave about apart from one still to come much later on my list. The Green Mile is the best of the bunch but I didn’t like it as much as the books, possibly because Tom Hanks always seems to annoy me a bit in every movie he’s in.

Ron: Some great picks here, like Ghost Dog, In Bruges, and Primal Fear but I will pass on Rocky III. The first Rocky is the only one worth watching IMO.

Buscemi: One of your movies will be coming up in my top 50. Great to see Bride of Frankenstein; over time I have slowly been watching the old Universal and Hammer horror movies and they are a bit hit and miss but Bride of Frankenstein is definitely one of the better ones. Howards End and Sling Blade were also movies I enjoyed. I didn’t expect to like Howards End and watched it sort of begrudgingly but the acting was of high quality and the story kept me interested and I have since chosen to watch it again a couple of times with/for others who hadn’t seen it. Sling Blade I saw when it first came out and I loved it. Great story and a fantastic performance from Billy Bob.

Chien: You are still yet to pick a movie that will be on my list, and are now the only one, but I definitely see a similarity to some of our tastes so surely it will happen? At least I have seen four this time with The Sweet Hereafter being the highlight. A really thoughtful, and thought provoking movie. I am jealous of how easy it seems to be for you to see so many quality foreign movies. From this set The Chaser is the only one I can find easily accessible (so I added it to my queue), which is a shame because On Connait la Chanson looks like something I would really appreciate.

Six: No crossovers this time, but most of what I have seen is good, like Boogie Nights, Gatttaca, Toy Story, and Kill Bill Vol 1 (but not Vol 2 – I didn’t like it anywhere as much as the Vol 1). The highlight for me was seeing The Purple Rose of Cairo on your list. I love this movie (although not quite enough to make my list), and it is in my collection, but until know I have never known of anyone else who rates it as high as I do. It’s a great Woody Allen comedy and I think it’s about time I watched it again. From the movies I haven’t seen Kind Hearts and Coronets interests me the most but strangely I can’t find it on quickflix. Bit of a bummer because I have enjoyed the two other Ealing Studios movies I have seen from that era, The Lavender Hill Mob and Passport to Pimlico, and would like to see more.

Banks: Ratatouille gives us a second overlap so far, although Fargo was on my 100-110. Apart from those two American Psycho is the best, and I also enjoyed Anchorman and The Fifth Element. Oh and of course Finding Nemo is great, just not as great as Ratatouille.

Barca: Apart from Heat this is probably the best set of ten from the 80-71 group. One crossover in D9 perfectly placed at #77 :) , and some truly great movies like Au Revoir Les Enfants, The 400 Blows, and The Night of The Hunter. I hadn’t heard of Eulogy or Tais-Toi but I’ll give them a go.

Geezer: This set of ten is a bit of a mixed bag for me. One movie from this set will come up later in my list, and now that I have been outed as a Depp fanboy it is probably no surprise that I think Blow is a great movie. I can happily watch Mrs Doubtfire, although I wouldn’t call it great, and I have a fond nostalgia for The Bad News Bears after seeing it at the drive ins as a kid, but I didn’t like Armageddon and I am probably the only one but I can't stand Forrest Gump.

John L: Hopefully Geezer will pass this on to you. I am sorry to see you no longer participate as I have found your picks interesting. I have deliberately been avoiding saying which movies are the crossovers but in this case it is unavoidable because from your last four picks three of them are coming up on my list and I also loved Dewey Cox.

W: We have a different taste when it comes to comedies but again it is when you pick dramas that our tastes coincide. So Kramer vs Kramer was your best pick. A movie that I found truly moving both when I watched it as a young kid and again when I watched it recently from the perspective of a father. Willy Wonka is a bit of a classic (Gene Wilder is great in this role) and Matrix and Wall-E are also both good, maybe a bit over-rated, but still good.

To finish I am going to let you guys know that any movie I have been interested in I have been adding to the top of my quickflix queue so for the next few months I will be mainly watching movies that you have sort of recommended via this countdown, and at the end of thread review I’ll briefly mention them.

So far I have already mentioned watching City of God, but apart from that I dug out Naked from my collection and re-watched it. It really is a great anti-hero movie, and David Thewlis is brilliant in this. I love his character’s cynicism and some of his verbal jousting with people he seems to see as his intellectual inferiors.

Touch of Evil was interesting but more for the movie making aspect rather than the story. That beginning tracking shot was very well done, and I did like the last few scenes of the movie (the wire tap scene featured some great dialogue) but I felt the middle of the movie lagged a bit (specifically the wife motel kidnapping storyline). Overall though I did enjoy it and am glad I have seen it.

Brick I watched last night and really liked it. It took a while to get used to the style of dialogue but in the end that was one of the things I loved about it. It contains some funny subtle humour and is an interesting modern take on the private eye movie genre.