Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #2): 90-81

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
Neo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #2): 90-81

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare: The Green Mile (1999) –Great choice. Such a powerful and moving film. Hanks and Clarke Duncan are both riveting. I agree with your point about it not dragging, it uses it's 3 hour run time to perfection (9.5/10)

silversurfer: The Princess Bride (1987) –I have never really gotten the hype on this movie. It's an alright adventure movie, but nothing more.(5/10)

thegreenarrow: Braindead (1992) - Haven't seen it, but I like the sounds of it.

englishozzy: The Magnificent Seven (1960) -Haven't seen it.

Ron Burgundy: Twelve Monkeys (1995) - Haven't seen it, I like Gilliam's work and it's one of the few Bruce Willis films I haven't seen.

Buscemi: Blow-Up (1967) -Haven't seen it.

Chienfantome: The Apartment (1960) –Haven't seen it.

numbersix: Perfect Blue(1998)- Haven't seen it.

Banks: I Am Legend (2007) - This is a love it or hate it movie, Personally I loved it. I have always been a big fan of Will Smith and this is one of his best, if not the best film he has ever done. It's really intense and well-shot, the atmosphere played a big part in why I liked it so much. Smith gives an amazing performance as well, in the hands of a lesser actor it could have been an awful movie. (8.5/10)

BarcaRulz: Let the Right One In (2008) -Haven't seen it, but I am really interested in seeing it.

Geezer: Shrek (2001) -Great film. Really funny and it's take on fairytales is really original. I really wish the sequels were as good as this, could have been a great series (8.5/10)

JohnL: Wanted (2008) -One of the best action flicks of the past decade, totally over the top, but totally fun. Would make my Top 100, but due to a dispute over this film and The Dark Knight I had a couple of years ago, I decided to void to them both out of my top 100. (9.5/10)

leestu: Nil By Mouth (1997) –Haven't seen it.

W: Spartacus (1960) -Haven't seen it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #86

Shrykespeare

Mystery Men (1999)
– Director: Kinka Usher; starring Ben Stiller, Hank Azaria, William H. Macy, Janeane Garofalo, Geoffrey Rush and Eddie Izzard. Based on a graphic novel, this comedy often comes off as a spoof, but it’s an incredibly funny comedy on its own. When a group of amateur (and largely unsuccessful) wannabe superheroes must unite to save their city at the hands of a nefarious villain, the end result is both kick-ass and hysterical. Terrific as pure camp as well as a classic underdog story. “We’ve got a blind date with destiny… and it looks like she’s ordered the lobster.” Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmHBFgIoX0

silversurfer

Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
– Director: George Romero; starring Ken Foree, David Emgee and Gaylen Ross. Six has already introduced you all to the marvel of the original Dawn Of The Dead, but it's just so good why not talk about it a little more? What impressed me about Romero's vision was that beyond the obvious mass consumerism commentary, it was also his way of expressing his opinion on how the world likes to hide away from its troubles and attempt to live a 'normal' life once again (and pretty much ever since I've seen these actions implemented in countless zombie movies). This is epitomised by the survivor's ease at slipping back into a middle class lifestyle, consuming material riches and a comfortable living. That, of course, is all brought back down to earth once again once when they are so determined to defend this illusion from the outside world that they are eventually brought down by not the zombies, but indeed other survivors from the outside. Their selfish need for these pleasures was ultimately their undoing! Add to that some comedic moments (zombies climbing escalators and ice skating?), as well as plenty of screaming and gore. And of course, who doesn't love some entrails being torn from a guys stomach and devoured?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-z5wBeFTU

thegreenarrow

Spider-Man (2002)
- Director: Sam Raimi; starring Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, Kirsten Dunst and James Franco. I love this movie mainly for Willem Dafoe's brilliant turn as Harry Osborne/Green Goblin, he really did pull out all the stops to create a perfect nemesis for Spider-Man. Tobey Maguire was perfectly cast as Peter Parker, he seemed to fit the role so naturally with a certain degree of modesty. Still not a fan of Kirsten Dunst though, but she can largely be forgotten for some of the other great scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWl52xsgN5w

transformers

Gran Torino (2008)
- Director: Clint Eastwood; starring Clint Eastwood, Bee Vang and Ahney Her. Gran Torino was a film that really stuck with me after viewing. Eastwood gives an often hilarious but deep performance as Walt Kowalski, a widowed war veteran who helps out his Korean neighbors. This film is well-acted, funny, powerful, and in the end, tragic. Clint Eastwood went out on top for his acting career with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Z2n534q1Q

englishozzy

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)
- Director: Tom Shadyac - Stars: Jim Carrey, Courtney Cox, Sean Young and Tone Loc. Jim Carrey has always been my favourite actor, all through his career he has always made me laugh and he has never gotten stale in my eyes. Of course there are standouts in his CV (Liar Liar, Truman Show, Man on the Moon, Eternal Sunshine) and films not so great (Lemony Snicket, Fun with Dick & Jane, The Number 23) but this particular one could be called my guilty pleasure. Jim is on top form with the shtick that got him famous. The film itself is not the best thing in the world but it's Carrey's humour that carries it and still makes me laugh every time I watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRZdHO8UCvk

Ron Burgundy

Total Recall (1990)
– Director: Paul Verhoeven; starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon Stone, Ronny Cox and Michael Ironside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMLGEHdIjE

Buscemi

Blood Simple (1984)
- Director: The Coen Brothers; starring John Getz, Frances McDormand, Dan Hedaya, Samm-Art Williams and M. Emmet Walsh. The first film made by the Coen Brothers, it is still right up there with their best films. The premise is rather simple, it is about how an affair causes a bounty which gets even worse when the bounty hunter supposedly kills the man of the affair, who is actually revealed to not be dead. M. Emmet Walsh is scary as the vengeful bounty hunter. John Getz is a little bland as the bounty but the rest of the cast more than makes up for that. One of the best neo-noirs you will ever see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI0ov8zzfQA

Chienfantome

Irréversible (2002)
– Director: Gaspar Noé; starring Vincent Cassel, Albert Dupontel, Monica Bellucci. This is not an easy film to love. And love probably is not the best word to describe my feeling towards Gaspar Noé’s controversial film. I already know Six hates it. I admire it. I do not admire the violence. Because the film is one of the most violent film there is. I do not admire the first minutes which made me want to vomit each time I have seen the film. But I admire everything else. I admire the narrative audacity. I admire the amazing, long sequence shots. I admire the truth coming from the actors, who do not seem to act. I admire how the more the film progresses, the less it is aggressive, and the more it is light, and full of joy. I admire how the progression towards happiness is a lie that only covers the ruin of it all. Irreversible is no easy film, and it is hard to love it. But there are few films that can provoke such violent feelings of both sadness and joy. I have seen it two times in theater, one year apart. I don’t know when I will see it again. But I will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNK9O8Y7U8Q

numbersix

Do the Right Thing (1989)
- Director: Spike Lee; starring Spike Lee, Danny Aiello and Bill Nunn. This one is for NSpan! Admittedly, I’ve only seen this once, but the power of its direction just blew me away. On a superficial level, I loved the pace of the camera work, the vivid colours, and the undeniable passion of the musical choices. But I also love the provocative story. Many criticize the film for being either reverse-racist or having no one to relate to. But I see the film as a tragedy. It’s the portrayal of how misconceptions, on both “sides” of the race division, can make events spiral out of control. At the end of the film I didn’t feel any one person was wrong (in fact, I feel the film dedicated enough time to make us understand, but not agree with, all of the main characters), but that the whole damn social situation was so deeply rotten that it’s no wonder things like this happen on a daily basis. This struggle is represented in my favourite scene of the film, which I grant to you by the power of YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShgXC62a09o

Banks

Hard Candy (2006)
- Director: David Slade; starring Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson. Hard Candy is where people started to perk up and take notice of a new young talent in Hollywood: Ellen Page. Page is pitch perfect as the innocent seeming 14 year old who slowly falls into the hands of a predatory pedophile (a charming Patrick Wilson). Wilson plays it right on the edge of slimy and friendly, even making the audience second guess his motives – even though we know he’s luring a 14 year old girl into a trap most grown women would be unable to resist. Even when the film takes a sharp left turn when Page’s true intentions are revealed, it transforms from inappropriate love story to an intense thriller that you cannot look away from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PXYjFl0uXg

BarcaRulz

Dead Man’s Shoes (2004)
- Director: Shane Meadows; starring Paddy Considine, Gary Stretch, and Toby Kebbell. Was very happy to see SS give this some love earlier on, honestly thought not many would have watched it let alone enjoyed it as much as I did. The acting is gripping, and as #6 said earlier; the soundtrack is haunting yet peaceful, which provides a perfect mood to enjoy this film as it unfolds and keeps you immersed in its story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFi6FrAV9SE

Geezer

The Bourne Identity (2002)
- Director: Doug Liman; starring: Matt Damon, Chris Cooper, Julia Stiles and Franka Potente. One of the best pure adrenaline rushes to hit theaters in the last decade, The Bourne Identity[/l] takes a fantastic script and delivers. The film that launched Matt Damon as a full-fledged action star, and one of my favorite actors of all time. The sequels were also very good (especially the third) but the first still rings out as the best, from beginning to end, one of the best action movies I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-uQreIwEk

JohnL

Platoon (1986)
- Director: Oliver Stone; starring: Tom Berenger, Charlie Sheen and Willem Dafoe. “I got a bad feeling about this one” -Sgt. O Neil. A movie that captured the true Hell that was the Vietnam War, it tells the story of a recruit fresh into the front lines in 1967 who soon realizes how crazy it really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPi8EQzJ2Bg

leestu

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
– Director: Lasse Hallstrom; starring Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio and Juliette Lewis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6sLIP3908w

W

Beverly Hills Ninja (1997)
- Director: Dennis Dugan; starring Chris Farley, Nicollette Sheridan and Robin Shou. "I have come disguised as a pimp to save you." "The Great White Ninja" is Chris the Farley we all know, but dumbed down. Not smart, but fun. And he's aided by Liu Kang and Chris Rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QY32gTgdBY
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I'd say you shouldn't overlook The Treasure from Sierra Madre, Six, its more than just an adventure film, someone, back me up, its a great film.

Ive got a week off in 6 days, and ill pour into comments then, sorry people.

Btw, i love total recall because its got Arnie and he kicks arse!!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

A few surprises here...

Shrykespeare: Mystery Men (1999) – Very under-rated film. I enjoy this is the same way I enjoyed Kick-Ass. Fun, funny, and not taking itslef too damn serious yet there is a touch of satire there. I love what happens to the "real" superhero. And yes... great lines too.

silversurfer: Dawn Of The Dead (1978) – Well said, SS, and I totally agree. Zombie films aren't really about the zombies, but about how people react (which is why I'm finding The Walking Dead a little disappointing). And this is the best of them for me, as the whole plot is about our need for self-delusion. Great point, and a great choice!

thegreenarrow: Spider-Man (2002) - The first movie wasn't bad. I liked the scene where he lets the thief go, only to face the consequences of his actions. And Dafoe's split personality is pretty well done. However, time has passed and I just don't ever feel the need to revisit this one.

transformers: Gran Torino (2008) - Hate this movie. The only tragedy is that people can give Clint money to make such a socially patronising movie. He plays a caricature and makes statements about heroism that are simply phoney. Worst ending in a film in years.

englishozzy: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) - DIt's been a long, long time since I watched this, and now that Carrey's flamboyant performances are starting to grate on me, I probably shouldn't return to this.

Ron Burgundy: Total Recall (1990) – It's such an odd movie it actually works. Also, could this be the most violent film of all time? Not just for the body count, but I remember scenes where bodies are tampled on, and even used as shields? Still, I consider it one of the last great action movies of the 80's (even though it's 1990), with a very clever ending. A remake with Colin Farrell is in development, and let's hope it doesn't progress.

Buscemi: Blood Simple (1984) - Most of the Coen Bros movies are absolutely brilliant (I've 3 in my Top 100), and while this isn't my favourite, it's a very impressive film for a debut feature. Really well shot, and a thrilling plot that just lurches forward. I suspect Getz is supposed to be bland, so that we end up focusing on McDormand.

Chienfantome: Irréversible (2002) – You see, my problem with Noé is that while I do realise that his violence is an attempt to provoke and shock, rather to enjoy like a typical action film, I think he goes so far that it goes beyond the point. Do we really need that opening sequence in which we see a man's head crushed? Also, it's very amateurish to try and make an audience understand a character's disorientation by making the audience disoriented though the swooping, swirling movements of the camera. It's just clunky direction, and a better director would show us disorientation through a characters performance, so we could associate on an emotional level rather than a visceral one. I do acknowledge that the film attempts to be clever by showing the romance before the incident at the end of the film, but what Noé fails to realise is that it's too late by then: he's shown us all the nasty stuff, and so much of it, that our hearts are closed to these characters by the time we actually see them. I appreciate that Noé is trying to do things differently, but ultimately he made the wrong choices for this film. Interestingly, though, even after being disappointed by Enter the Void, I'll still watch his next film, so part of still thinks he will eventually be able to create a film that has great writing, acting, character arcs, as well as interesting visuals.

Banks: Hard Candy (2006) - Definitely a difficult film to watch, and I'm not sure if I could watch it again. I certainly didn't see where the film was going , and the two lead performances were great. Page was on fire, and I do feel she's one of the better actresses around, but Wilson was brilliant too. Of course there's something slightly unbelievable about a teen having such control over everything, and I also feel in ways it's a little too black-and-white, but it was a fascinating way of addressign such subject matter.

BarcaRulz: Dead Man’s Shoes (2004) - A pleasant surprise to see this appear on two Top 100's. Sadly it didn't make mine (Top 250, perhaps), but I do love it. I should also note it's made by Warp Films, the movie section of the excellent electronic music label. It's rare but Warp Films are one of the few film companies I keep an eye on, because they almost always make great films (All Tomorrow's Parties, This is England, Four Lions, etc).

Geezer: The Bourne Identity (2002) - Didn't watch this when it came out, ignored all the recommendations, and then finally saw it on TV before the third film came out. I enjoyed it to some extent, although I definitely prefer the third film. The first is good, but the sequence with Clive Owen as the hitman felt a little flat for me.

JohnL: Platoon (1986) - Jesus, a third time for this movie? You mention a recruit sees how crazy the war is, tna dthis is my problem. I felt that Apocalypse Now already showed the craziness, The Deer Hunter showed the impact of the war's craziness on people, and Full Metal Jacket showed that the craziness begins in boot camp. So while Platoon isn't a bad film, there's a lot of films that cover similar themes and stories, but they are better.

leestu: What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) – Never seen it fully, and I know I really should.

W: Beverly Hills Ninja (1997) - This came out I was 15, and even then I knew I was too old for this. Seriously, the trailer depressed me more than amused me.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Even Chris Farley himself hated Beverly Hills Ninja. After seeing the final cut, he decided that the film would cause him to be typecast and began taking roles against type (such as Christopher Guest's Almost Heroes, Shrek and A Confederacy of Dunces). However, his death prevented one of those movies from happening and another was recast with Mike Myers. However, I didn't think the movie was that bad.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #86

thegreenarrow - Spider-Man (2002) - Great superhero film. Hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped, but still a great story. (9/10)

transformers - Gran Torino (2008) - Caricature or not, Eastwood's swan song as an actor was terrific, touching and heroic. I couldn't disagree more about the ending. (9/10)

englishozzy - Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) - Carrey's first, but by no means his best. The character was so silly it bordered on off-putting. At the time, it was early enough in Jim's career that I didn't mind, because I found it to be really funny. However, most of his "classic" lines have just become tiresome. (7/10)

Ron Burgundy - Total Recall (1990) – Was it the most violent film of all time? Well, it's up there... Verhoeven never padded his violence. Of course, I still remember the hysterical line between Ironside and one of his henchmen, where the henchman says "I would want a guy like Quaid (Arnie) banging my old lady." Ironside: "Are you saying she liked it?!" Henchman, with a wry grin: "No, I'm sure she hated every minute of it."

Geezer - The Bourne Identity (2002) - Clive Owen played the hitman? I had totally forgotten that! I remember BI being a great action film, but a little weak on story. I remember liking the sequels a bit more. (8/10)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I think Rambo passed Total Recall actually.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm a bit late, but now the French-Korean Film Festival is over in Paris, I have more time !

Shryke - Angel Heart
I have only seen it once, something like a decade ago, but I remember being very pleasantly surprised by it. Rourke was at the top of his game, and De Niro was greatly menacing in a nice way. I did not see the twist coming either.

silversurfer - The Good, the Bad, the Ugly
I'm ashamed to say I have only seen this one once, on TV, years ago. And that at the time it did not make THAT big an impression on me. But then again, Once Upon in the West had not either the first time I saw it, and it took me a second viewing to see the immense film it is. So no, it's not my favourite Leone film. But I know in my mind that if I went to see it in a beautiful restaured copy on the big screen, there's a chance it might become a GREAT film in my eyes.

thegreenarrow - Sleeping with the enemy
Never seen this one. I never rush to discover a film by Julia Roberts...

transformers - The Rundown
That was when I went to see everything in theater, and yes I have seen this film. Having Walken in its cast makes a good excuse. Not a terrible film, but nothing that would make me want to ever see it again.

Ozzy - The Jungle Book
When I compiled my Top, there was two Disney movies that almost made my list, and probably would have with a Top 120. They were "101 Dalmatians" and "Beauty and the Beast". But The Jungle Book is also a childhood favourite, so I totally understand such a choice.

Ron B - Treasure of the Sierra Madre
I'm not a Hston specialist, and there are many films of his I have never seen. Sierra Madre is among them. But it's definitely one film I'll catch someday.

Buscemi - Koyaanisqatsi
Never seen it, but it is intriguing for sure. I love Glass, maybe I'll catch it too.

numbersix - Aliens
Wow. I did not expect that from you Six. Okay I have not seen it in many years, but for me Aliens is a big letdown coming after Scott's film. Sure the film is sometimes fun, but it loses so much by multiplying the Aliens. What I love in the Alien concept is the sense of space oppression. Space and space. It makes the characters insane, and brings a loud silence that totally gets lost in Cameron's film. Behind the big explosions, the subtlelty and fear disappear. It's just regular entertainment.

Banks - Casino Royale
I'm not a huuuuge fan of 007, but I've always watched the character with pleasure. Craig's Bond is very different, and I quite like him this way too. Casino Royale features some great action sequences. It's no Top 100 for me, but it's fun.

Barca - Grosse Point Blank
I know this one has quite a following across the Atlantic, but it was never released in theaters in France. So when I found it on TV a few years back, I watched it satisfied to finally see this cult film. And was disappointed. Heck, I can't even remember the film, actually.

Geezer - Juno
I think the overhype of Juno plays against it today. But if you set the hype aside, it's a genuinely good film. The characters and dialogues are sharply written, and it's a pleasure to see them interact onscreen.

JohnL - Zombieland
It surely won't ever appear on my Top 100, but this is a hell of a fun film. It was quite jubilatory.

leestu - Jesus de Montreal
I've never seen this one, although I have seen several films from Arcand. But I don't think I've ever loved a film by the canadian director, so I doubt I'll ever see this one.

W - Rush Hour
Chris Tucker totally irritable. Jackie Chan wondering what he's doing there. I love Jackie Chan, but the films he's done in the US are for the most part useless. The one I was extremely surprised by is Shanghai Knights. Now that is Jackie Chan's at his best, almost as good as in his best HK films. But the Rush Hours, no thank you.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Let's keep it going...

Shryke - Better Off Dead
I know the film, but I've never seen it. The US comedies rarely travel well to France, and this one is not much known here.

Surfer - Pulp Fiction
I was too young to see Reservoir Dogs in theaters, so this is the first Tarantino film Ive seen on the big screen. I was just old enough to see it (in France it was forbidden to under 12), and I immediately fell in love with it. I can't say how many times I have seen it, but it's MANY. I'll talk about it later myself.

greenarrow - An American Werewolf in Paris
Now I'll say that with pure respect green arrow, it's nothing against you, you can be sure of that, but this film is a pure piece of shit. ( :lol: )

transformers - Borat
I have not seen it since theater, but all I need to say is that this film is one of the funniest I have seen in the past decade. I think the naked fight in the hotel ranks in the funniest sequences ever. Perfect hilarity. I did not expect to love this film so much, but I did (it won't appear on my Top though).

englishozzy - Enemy of the State
Again, haven't seen it since theater, but strangely, it is one of the rare Tony Scott films I enjoyed. Most of the times I despise Scott's films, or at best find them watchable, but a few of them are acutally enjoyable, and this is one of them.

Ron B - BASEketball
I've seen it on the cable a few years back, and barely remember it.

Buscemi - Bonnie and Clyde
Acutally Ive never seen Bonnie and Clyde, although I really like Arthur Penn. In fact one of his movies is about to appear in my Top.

numbersix - Orphée
Ah ! A french film, but one I have never seen ! I've never really been attracted by Cocteau's work, but I know one of these days I will dive my nose in there ;)

Banks - Full Metal Jacket
Love it in its entirety. I love the training part which is both funny and chilling, and I love the Vietnam part which, maybe because it was filmed in London, looks like no other Vietnam film. To me it ranks among Kubrick's best.

Barca - The Departed
It's funny you list this one in the same round I list "The longest nite", a HK fil noir like "Infernal Affairs" of which "The Departed" is the remake. I have seen Scorsese's film a second time, on TV, and found it better than in theater. Baldwin and Wahlberg's character are well written. But overall the film is inferior to the HK film it remakes. The original is much darker. The moral does not triumph in it.

Geezer - The 40 year-old virgin
Apatow's best film to date. The tenderness of it is perfectly balanced by the humour. Carell plays the candid amazingly. It's a film I really like seeing from time to time.

JohnL - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
One of the best comedies EVER. I could recite quotes of it by heart.

leestu - Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind
What a film. Kaufman's best screenplay. Carrey's best performance. And Gondry proves he can do absolutely anything with a camera. Fantastic film.

W - Joe Dirt
Haven't seen it and have no intention to...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare: Mystery Men (1999) – Still haven't gotten round to watching this, been meaning to for years and a little while ago we were babysitting for my nephew and we got through the first half an hour which looked awesome, but my damn brother in law decided to return home early so we didn't get to finish it! Will certainly do so in the near future though. (N/A)

silversurfer: Dawn Of The Dead (1978) – The Waking Dead hasn't been aired over here yet but I'd been really looking forward to it. your comments have dampened my apprehension for it a little, but I'm sure it'll still be decent, at least going by the trailer.

thegreenarrow: Spider-Man (2002) - I can still remember how excited I was when I first heard this was getting a release, and then being gutted to find I wouldn't be able to attend the opening night due to the fact we were on holiday in Africa. When I did eventually get to see it though I loved it, Dafoe is awesome and the absolute perfect choice for Green Goblin, I hope the new series doesn't try and do a new GG, they have plenty of other possible bad guys and I don't see a need to repeat a villain who has already been perfected. Anyway, it was also the perfect origin story, which until that point had usually been a letdown in the comic book movie series'.(9/10)

transformers: Gran Torino (2008) - I'm on the fence on this one, on one hand Clint puts in a great performance, while on the other hand the story is so heavy handed and predictable beyond belief. I guessed the final scene a good hour before it happened, and the impact I guess I was supposed to feel just didn't conspire. (6.5/10)

englishozzy: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) - When I think of Carrey's greatest comic performances, this one doesn't seem to come close. The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Man On The Moon, The Truman Show, I'd rank all of those above this which I didn't find that funny to be honest. Felt very childlike and not in a good way, and the humour was just a little dumb for me. Not a fan sorry. (3/10)

Ron Burgundy: Total Recall (1990) – Well, all three of my favourite Verhoeven movies have appeared now, so it's good to see his work appreciated. One of Schwarzeneggar's absolute best, mixing comedy and a faced paced adrenhaline rush of action to a perfect mix. And with so many favourite scenes (removing the tracker from his brain, the mars head exploding scenes, the three boobs!), what's not to love. It pained me so much to leave this out. (9.5/10)

Buscemi: Blood Simple (1984) - Certainly one of the Coen's underappreciated gems (along with Barton Fink), it's a gripping noir and certainly one of the best of it's genre in recent times. McDormand proved in this performance the potential she had while Dan Hedaya and Emmet Walsh are terrifically chilling. The landscape they create, as it still is today with their movies, is so well detailed, and the script so tight. Unfortunately however, I ultimately think this was more an exercise is proving what potential the Coen's had at this time, and not quite the finished article (along with Getz's performance which I was so indifferent to and at times a little too invested in film school techniques), so that holds it back from being my absolute favourite of the Coens. Still a mighty impressive debut. (8/10)

Chienfantome: Irréversible (2002) – Another one I should probably get round to watching but until this point haven't done so. It sounds more like a movie to appreciate than to love (and it almost sounds like you agree with the number of times you comment on what you admire rather than love from the movie - though that could just be your grammar). it ultimately feels like it is a very well made movie, but not a movie i could ever find personal attachment to. I guess I'll have to watch it though to come to my own conclusion. (N/A)

numbersix: Do The Right Thing (1989) - A movie I only recently had the fortune to watch, and following all it's praise on here I was not let down. A gripping, funny, insightful and delightful movie to watch. Great performances from the cast too. One I will certainly be picking up on DVD in the near future. (8/10)

Banks: Hard Candy (2006) - This was the movie that introduced me to both Patrick Wilson and Ellen Page, and both actors blew me away with their performances. Streches believability in some areas but nevertheless is a thrilling ride all the way and blurs the margin on who is the good/bad guy. (7.5/10)

BarcaRulz: Dead Man’s Shoes (2004) - Obviously I love the movie. Regarding Warp, I've found that most of their releases have been of good quality, but beware of the likes of Donkey Punch which is shocking, and Grow Your Own and A Complete History of My Sexual Failures just didn't connect with me.(10/10)

Geezer: The Bourne Identity (2002) - Have never really gotten into the series, as it appeared at first to be far too much of a Bond clone and that series never really appealed to me either, so tihs is the only episode of the series I have watched and it was just ok. Damon is good in it, and there are a few cool action sequences, but the story just didn't grab me and I ultimately didn't care for the outcome. (5/10)

JohnL: Platoon (1986) - Still feel the same over this early contender for most appearances on the countdown. (7/10)

leestu: What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) – Brilliant performances, especially so from DiCaprio make this stand out from what could have been a rather predictable and dull affair. The story is nothing special but Hallstrom has enough nouce to develop his characters without leaving a sacharine taste in the mouth, and adds a little comedy to the mix too. Good just wish the story was a little more substantial to match the high standard of acting though. (7/10)

W: Beverly Hills Ninja (1997) - No. Just.... no. Never watched it and hope never to see anything to do with it again. (N/A)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Ron Burgundy wrote:I'd say you shouldn't overlook The Treasure from Sierra Madre, Six, its more than just an adventure film, someone, back me up, its a great film.

Ive got a week off in 6 days, and ill pour into comments then, sorry people.

Btw, i love total recall because its got Arnie and he kicks arse!!
Yes, you are right Ron. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is well worth watching and deserves all it's acclaim. To me it is more a well told story about greed vs trust than an adventure film, with a great performance by Walter Huston, and probably my favourite Bogart role over The African Queen. And I just loved the ironic ending.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'll be watching it at some point just because I'm a sucker for John Huston (love many of his movies, from The Asphalt Jungle to The Misfits, The Maltese Falcon, Key Largo and The African Queen) as well as Bogart, who is probably in my top 10 actors of all time. And you don't get into the top 250 on IMDB for nothing, it's just such a hard movie to get a hold of. Hopefully they'll be putting it on tv soon.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #85

Shrykespeare

The Mummy (1999)
– Director: Stephen Sommers; starring Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, John Hannah, Oded Fehr, Kevin J. O'Connor and Arnold Vosloo. Managing to be humorously campy as well as scary as hell in parts, this swashbuckling adventure also sported some truly outstanding effects-work. Fraser, every inch the barrel-chested, lantern-jawed hero from the era of silent movies, has never been better. (Wow, that’s three in a row from ’99.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMwW-kzwltA

silversurfer

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1958)
– Director: Richard Brooks; starring Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor and Burl Ives. One of the most tantalizing match-ups I've ever witnessed on the screen, Richard Brooks' adaptation of the Tennessee Williams play is a brooding, sexually tense atmosphere with star performances from the entire cast. Some movies excel with their story, others with their action and set pieces, while some rely on powerhouse performances from their cast to create an intense viewing experience. Cat On A Hot Tin Roof is most certainly in the latter category. I last watched this a year or so ago, and once again Elizabeth Taylor proved to be one of the sexiest screen icons, simmering with sexual prowess as she has to deal with the bitterness of Paul Newman's alcoholic ex football star who has accused her of cheating with his best friend. The electricity between the two as he deny's her advances is fascinating to watch, mesmerizing at times, while they are ably supported by another powerhouse performance from Burl Ives as Newman's rich father. It's no wonder this movie received so many Oscar nominations, the way Brooks guided his cast into quite outstanding performances deserves recognition, while the dialogue is sharp, witty and completely overwhelming at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWsG_Qj1wUo

thegreenarrow

Dumb And Dumber (1994)
- Directors: The Farrelly Brothers; starring Jim Carrey, Jeff Daniels and Lauren Holly. I grew up with Dumb and Dumber, having watched it over and over with my brother. From the dog car to the dead bird and the diner scene, it is just a non stop, laugh out loud movie. Definitely one of the better Farrelly Bros. movies along with There's Something About Mary, they really seemed to go downhill soon after that movie. Carrey and Daniels were a perfect partnership and their comedy clicked so well. It's such a shame that Carrey's humour has become a little stale now, compared to his earlier career highlights such as this and The Mask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRE7gINaS5o

transformers

Dogma (1999)
- Director: Kevin Smith; starring Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Chris Rock and Alan Rickman. Dogma, Kevin Smith's twisted view of religion, is one of his finest pieces of filmmaking. The ensemble cast is the main reason this film work so well. Everyone is cast so brilliantly and everyone involved is really funny. Again, Smith's screenplay is wonderful and his dialogue is just as sharp as in the past. A really underrated piece of comedy and one of Smith's gems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20CRw3XdETA

englishozzy

Lost in Translation (2003)
- Director: Sofia Coppola; starring Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson and Giovanni Ribisi. A film that brings out a career best performance from Bill Murray and the emergence of the very sexy Scarlett Johansson, what more can you ask for? A very touching film that shows how alienating environments can throw unlikely people together. Sofia Coppola at her best almost creating a feel that you are watching this film from outside the looking glass, almost in a dreamlike state. Murray and Johansson work well together but ultimately Murray takes the wheel with an impressive performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAS92XPvIM

Ron Burgundy

Mulholland Dr. (2001)
- Director: David Lynch; starring Naomi Watts, Laura Harring and Justin Theroux.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFtqxpL1sG8

Buscemi

Die Hard (1988)
- Director: John McTiernan; starring Bruce Willis, Bonnie Bedelia, Alan Rickman, Alexander Goudnov and Reginald VelJohnson. According to TV Tropes, Die Hard is about "an ass-kicking Christmas". Bruce Willis not only has an ass-kicking Christmas, but also puts his ass on the line to save Los Angeles in the most awesome way possible. The script and direction is some of the best of the genre, with almost every character somewhat well-developed and actors and set pieces getting equal attention. One of the finest breakout roles in cinema.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qxBXm7ZUTM

Chienfantome

The Missouri Breaks (1976)
– Director: Arthur Penn, starring Jack Nicholson, Marlon Brando, Randy Quaid and Harry Dean Stanton. Have you ever dreamt of seeing Nicholson and Brando act together ? Well if you have never seen that, it means you have never seen The Missouri Breaks, a lesser known film of Arthur Penn. I discovered it on TV a few years back, and every time I have seen it since, the film grew on me. It’s a 70’s western by Arthur Penn, who had made the excellent Little Big Man a few years earlier. The Missouri Breaks is a slow-paced, character driven western which does not have THAT much of a reputation, while it might deserve so. Sure Brando is completely out of control in it. He’s there in those crazy outfits displaying some kind of strange Irish accent (if I remember correctly) which seems totally out of place. And yet his character of a man hunter paid to catch thief works, as he could be the good guy to the crew of thieves lead by Jack Nicholson, but what’s great in Penn’s film is that the manichaeism is altered, and the supposedly bad guys, especially Nicholson, are beautifully crafted and while they are criminals, they appear less criminals than the supposedly good guys. Brando isn’t going the subtle way, but Nicholson is, and its suits him perfectly. It’s a quiet western. It’s a great film. (I have chosen a scene from the film because the original looked really bad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N48pqpyyeHA

numbersix

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
- Director: Milos Forman; starring Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, Brad Dourif and Danny DeVito. Sometimes the Oscars can get it right. While there were probably better films in 1975, it’s still a worthy winner, in which the film takes on the Foucaultian theory that the difference between who is deemed mad and who is deemed sane is pretty much arbitrary. Nicholson delivers yet another fine performance and this was definitely his decade, but this film certainly is more than just a performance. The supporting cast that includes Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, and especially Brad Dourif, are exceptional. Forman’s direction is perfect, discreet enough to allow the performances to be brought to the forefront, but naturalistic enough to not seem stagey (see the scene below for a great example of how the blocking worked). Anyone who loves the film should also check out Kesey’s novel, told from the perspective of Chief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKQcx1jzn4k

Banks

The Hurt Locker (2008)
- Director: Kathryn Bigelow; starring Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie, and Guy Pearce. Whenever I screen movies at work, I tend to whip out my phone and check Facebook/Twitter or just fiddle with it during the slow parts. When I screened The Hurt Locker, my phone went untouched until well after the credits rolled. I learned what the phrase “edge of your seat” meant that night – every time the team approached another potential bomb, I think I held my breath, scared that I might disturb their work. When Renner pulls up that wire and reveals those five huge bombs in the sand….I felt that boulder drop in my stomach. Rightfully deserved all the Oscar love it received.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GxSDZc8etg

BarcaRulz

V for Vendetta (2006)
- Director: James McTeigue; starring Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, and Stephen Fry. The general theme is one I am a fan of. Whilst not exactly Fahrenheit 451 or Equilibrium, this film still benefits from the somber mood those two works set. Great performances, but I have to say the best thing about this film is the script, as everything from the moody city backdrop to the dialogue is pretty much perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rRn8kM4-ds

Geezer

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
- Director: Jonathan Demme; starring: Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins and Scott Glenn. The film that introduced the world to Hannibal Lecter, one of the most iconic and creepy characters in cinematic history. A gripping mystery tale that unfolds through a series of "quid pro quo" meetings between a young, budding FBI investigator and a psychotic cannibalistic murderer, climaxing in a true, edge of your seat, feel like you can't breath ending sequences that will never be forgotten by anyone who watches it. If you haven't seen it yet, it should be on your short list!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCAf-xLV2k

JohnL

Suburbia (1984)
- Director: Penelope Spheeris; starring: Bill Coyne, Chris Pederson and Jennifer Clay. “Happy Easter Asshole.” This movie told a story of kids struggling living in a squat outside of the suburbs . Calling themselves “The Rejected,” they rob, fight, deal drugs and do whatever they can to survive. Plus most of the actors were mostly kids in the local LA punk scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uus2hnYcGs

leestu

On the Waterfront (1954)
– Director: Elia Kazan; starring Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Lee J. Cobb and Eva Marie Saint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSImMMMf5nA

W

Sgt. Bilko (1996)
- Director: Jonathan Lynn; starring Steve Martin, Phil Hartman, Dan Aykroyd and Glenne Headly. Steve Martin made a lot great movies in the 80's, none of which made my list (The Jerk almost did). He headlines this adaptation of an old television show with co-stars Phil Hartman, Dan Aykroyd and a small part by Chris Rock. An army motor pool seargent runs illegal gambling operations on base and an army officer screwed over in the past by him (Hartman) tries to uncover violations of his. The jokes cater to the lowest common denominator and sometimes that's what I'm looking for. I was surprised to learn that Siskel and Ebert gave it two thumbs up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh7hvHyKViw

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - The Green Mile
It' s not my favourite Darabont film, but for a 3-hour film about a death row inmate with magical powers, it's pretty good. Because Darabont is a talented filmmaker, and because he hired talented actors to tell this story.

surfer - The Princess Bride
Aaaaaaah, The Princess Bride. I almost added this one in my Top at the last minute, but in the end I abandonned the idea. This film is one I have watched tons of times when I was a kid, and one which has not disappointed me when I have seen it again as an adult. It's really an engaging tale populated with wonderful characters and filled with fantastic lines. It's a film that brings so much nostalgia too. Amazing.

thegreenarrow
Never seen Braindead !! Damn !

transformers - Pirates of the Caribbean
Oooooh I hope there won't be too many occurences of those flat pirates... there already have been too many !

ozzy - The Magnificent Seven
Fantastic cast, good movie. But not excellent. Haven't seen it in a long time though.

Ron B - Twelve Monkeys
Up until "The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus", I thought Gilliam had not made a fantastic film since Twelve Monkeys. It may be less crazy than most of his work, but it does not lessen the superb quality of this film.

Buscemi - Blow up
I've only seen it once when I was 17 or 18, on TV. I can barely remember it, so I can't really say.

Six - Perfect Blue
I love asian animation, and of course especially Japanese animes. There are tons I absolutely love and admire, but "Perfect Blue" is one than disapppointed me a bit. It got me really confused. In fact as much as I admire Satoshi Kon's work visually, his films genreally leave me a bit cold.

Banks - I am legend
Pfiouuuuu, now that is one bad book adaptation. Baaaaaad bad bad. The film starts pretty good, with amazing visuals, and a good vibe, but the more the narration progresses, the less it's good. IN fact from the moment the girl and kid show up, it goes straight downhill. And the ending ? Absolutely ridiculously out of the gate. It not only betrays Matheson's work, but betrays the whole idea of the film and the audience's intelligence. I hated this ending. And that's without mentionning those weird zombies.

Barca - Let the right one in
That's one of of those films you don't see coming and that feel so fresh. It's a dark moment of cinematic poetry. I would not place it in a Top 100, but it's a beautiful film.

Geezer - Shrek
The first one was fun, the first time. BUt I don't want to see it anymore, it's not a film I want to see several times, contrary to the Pixar films. And the sequels were unnecessary.

JOhnL - Wanted
Fun ride. It's just enterttainment, but it's good entertainment.

leestu - Nil by mouth
Never seen it, although I wanted to when it was released. But since then I never had the chance to.

W - Spartacus
It's a minor Kubrick, but it's still epic and kind of flamboyant. Nice.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien, my man, I recommend you give Aliens another try. Yes, in comparison to the original film it's not as good. But they're both very different films. They're actually different genres, if you think about it. One's horror, the other action. So I feel they don't compare well. But as an action film, Aliens is astounding. Firstly, there's the anti-military subtext that Cameron has carried on throughout his career. The military are portrayed as being of the best, but we all know by now that they pretty much are all inadequate, and ultimately are terrified of what they can't face.

Then there's the Ripley character, who came into her own in the sequel. In the first she's almost a fleeing damsel from a typical horror film. But in this she is actually braver and smarter than the soldiers, but rather than be so for the purpose of machismo, it's for the rescue of Newt and ultimately her humanity. The gender play is interesting because even though there's women in the military team, they're portrayed as manly ("Has anyone ever mistake you for a man?", jokes Hudson to the tough-gal Vasquez), so ultimately it's the feminine that reigns supreme.

And finally, as an action movie the sense of different register and pacing is amazing. Sure, there's guns and noise, but there's a lot of anxiety-filled silences in between that make up most of the movie.

So onto...

Shrykespeare: The Mummy (1999) – As I said when Geez picked it, this is an entertaining action film with some genuinely decent segments. I'd still choose the first 3 Indy Jones films over this any day, but it was still fun.

silversurfer: Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (1958) – Man, I really got to see this.

thegreenarrow: Dumb And Dumber (1994) - It has been years, but I still have fond memories of it.

transformers: Dogma (1999) - Never seen it, not a fan of Kavin Smith, although I'm told this is quite different.

englishozzy: Lost in Translation (2003) - I feel like this is a short film stretched to feature-length. It's just so devoid of story. And I understand it's a deamy exploration of alienation, but I just think they only meaning people are placing on it is the meaning they're making up themselves, rather than derive it from anything on the screen. Which to me is pretentiousness at its worst. I also don't appreciate the cultural pot-shots it takes at Japanese culture in order to raise a few laughs and prevent it from beign a bore-fest. I do think the performances are good, though, but overall the movie is a con for me.

Ron Burgundy: Mulholland Dr. (2001) - Would love to hear your thoughts on this, Ron, as I'm a big fan on thisl. It's a tragic look at delusion in the face of desire we can't attain, both in terms of external ambition (becoming famous) and also internal (what we think love is, and what it means to us).

Buscemi: Die Hard (1988) - Such a great film, and perhaps the ultimate action film. Seeing this and then seeing Die Hard 4 just makes me want to cry. Or shoot the makers.

Chienfantome: The Missouri Breaks (1976) – I have seen this, and I have to say I'm with the majority of people who felt "meh" when they saw this. I was eager to see a film with Brando and Nicholson, but as you mention I found Brando's performance to be terrible. Nicholson is way better but the story just isn't engaging enough to make it any more than a decent revisionist western. I much prefer The Wild Bunch, McCabe and Mrs Miller, The Unforgiven, and The Assassination of Jesse James... over this.

Banks: The Hurt Locker (2008) - I don't know, Banks, I was totally underwhelmed by this (though I am glad it beat Avatar to the Oscar). Renner is great but every other character is poorly developed (especially his wife). The idea of being addicted to the death-wish has been done before, and this film didn't have much else to offer. Also, it's strangely episodic and while I enjoyed the sequence with Ralph Fiennes, it didn't seem to fit in with Renner's story that much. So a bit of a mess, although with a great performance and some tense scenes.

BarcaRulz: V for Vendetta (2006) - Wow, this has really been a round of well-received films that I just don't like! I have to say the WORST thing about the film is its script. It's so full of self-conscious mottos that it sounds like a teenager inspired by Orwell's 1984 but dilutes it into a somewhat average action film. It's "political" attempt to convey a totalitarian state is laughable (there'd be no middle class, for example). But even beyond that I can say with honesty that I don't remember any action sequences (where I can clearly remember some in, say, The Mummy!), so they must have been unimpressive. All I remember is some patronising lesbian love story and then a bald Portman stepping out into the rain in what is one of the most awfully OTT scenes I've watch in recent cinema history. I also remember the horrid Benny Hill style show Stephen Fry creates to "satirise" the state. God, the more I think about it the less I like it.

Geezer: The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - I watched it about a year ago, for the first time in years, and what was most evident is how well it's directed. Demme demonstrates complete control over the camera, knowing when to have produced, flowing sequences (from his music video days, I imagine), and when to hold back to focus on character. I do think he's an under-rated director that really needs to choose what films to make a bit better. So yeah, this is a very good film that I still find disturbing, even after the 525 CSI shows that's on air.

JohnL: Suburbia (1984) - Read about it last week in an article about a new book charting punks in cinema. This definitely looks like one of the more interesting ones, so I'd like to check it out.

leestu: On the Waterfront (1954) – A classic in many ways. A great performance from Brando who peaked a little too early. Amazing support. I think the whole anti-union message makes me a tad uncomfortable, but dramatically this is a very strong movie.

W: Sgt. Bilko (1996) - Yet another film that even as a young teen I knew I was too old for. Just awful on every level. Siskel and Ebert's recommendation is just further proof of what sell-outs those two really are.