Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #2): 90-81

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #2): 90-81

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote: Shrykespeare: Shrek (2001) – Well, it does make sense to see this in your list, considering your username is derived from it! I can think of at least 5 Pixar films from the past 10 years that trump this, but this is still better than Cars! I do think it's rewatchable so that is a sign of quality. I haven't seen the third or fourth but I believe that's for the best.
Um, not true, Six. Truth is, I've been calling myself "Shryke" since long before Shrek was even conceived. In fact, even before I had Internet access. I used to hang out at a local bar called Famous Sam's, which was a great place for food, sports and karaoke. In the early-to-mid-90's, I met two of my best friends there regularly - my late friend Larry, who I've mentioned previously, who was going to be my best man, and my other great friend Matt, who actually did end up being my best man - and we would regularly team up and kick ass at NTN trivia contests. Everyone used a screen name of up to six letters long, and I chose "Shryke" because it sounded cool. I even engraved it on a custom-fit bowling ball that I still have. And then, when I finally got Internet access, "Shryke" became my handle there as well. So though "Shryke" and Shrek are very close phonetically, it's just a coincidence that a big green cartoon ogre came along whose name sounded a lot like my cyberspace monicker.

MOVIE #83

thegreenarrow - Jurassic Park (1993) - Ah, my #101. Terrific film. (9/10)

transformers - Starship Troopers (1997) - Yes, Nico would be proud. I'll be sure to tell him if the rat-bastard ever calls me again. :twisted: (8/10)

englishozzy - Blade (1998) - Just okay for me. Not a huge Wesley Snipes fan, but this was one of his better ones. (6/10)

Buscemi - L.A. Confidential (1997) - No, Chinatown is not on my list, Six. Sorry to disappoint. (To be fair, I've only seen parts of it). (9/10)

Banks: Scrooged (1988) - I liked it, but I'm just not the biggest Bill Murray fan. This film had its moments, but not enough for me to watch it again. (6/10)

BarcaRulz - Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - I also think it was the weakest of the three. Which means it will be coming up for me in a few weeks. (Grin.) (10/10)

Geezer - Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (2007) - Saw five minutes of this film, and I wish I could get those five minutes back. Blech.

JohnL - Major Payne (1995) - Never saw Sgt. Bilko, Six, but this was actually pretty funny. Wayans is awesome as the socially clueless but indomitable Payne. It is fairly predictable as far as the "bunch of misfits learning to excel" storyline goes, but I went in expecting Wayans' character to turn from a hard-bitten killing machine to a fluffy bunny by the end. And while he did soften up a smidge, I was pleased to see that he didn't. Him telling the Apocalypse Now version of the "Little Engine That Could" bedtime story to the little boy was hi-lar-i-ous. And that laugh still resonates with me today. Hee-hee-hee. (7/10)

leestu - Big Fish (2003) – Unusual, enjoyable, definitely very Burton-esque. Felt it was missing something, though. (Wow. First film in 11 days from you that I've actually seen.) (6/10)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Shrek
I've always found the first Shrek movie to be good, a really funny comedy featuring terrific voice work from Eddie Murphy. The only problem with Shrek, who's still far from the quality of Pixar, is that it gave birth to sequels. Well, I'm saying that while I haven't even seen the third and fourth film, but the second one alone prevented me from ever wanting to see another sequel from Shrek. But the first is fine.

silversurfer - The Red Shoes
It's funny, the film was recently re-released in a restaured copy in Paris, something like 6 months ago, and I was just about to go see it, but in the end the unegaging subject made me quit, and I did not go see it. I really regret it.

thegreenarrow - Jurassic Park
It's one of those rare Hollywood blockbusters that manage to be insanely entertaining and cinematographically defining. And it's amazing how a film from 1993 is still so relevant visually in terms of effects, 17 years later. Brilliant.

tranformers - Starship Troopers
Congratulations Tranny for putting this one in your list too. I wa so close to putting it myself. Such a funny, intense and clever film.

ozzy - Blade
It's funny. I have seen the two sequels, but I have never seen the first Blade movie.

Ron B - JFK
A film I fully approve, Ron. It does go everywhere and you constantly wonder if Stone is ever going to achieve something with it. And despite the mess it seems, Stone does achieve something with JFK, a rich and fascinating tale.

Buscemi - LA Confidential
Wow, this is one unexpectedly popular film, although I loved it myself in theater. Maybe I should give it another look, 13 years later ?

Six - City of God
When City of God was released, I was super busy and I very carefully had to choose which film to go see. One of my most trustworthy friends in terms of films had been extremely disappointed by it, so I went and saw something else instead. I really need to catch it one of these days !

Banks - Scrooged
I clearly see the poster for this film, but it did not cross the Atlantic...

Barca - The Two Towers
It's impossible for me to separate the Lord of the Rings films. It is clearly one 9 hours film cut in 3. Those films were some of the most awaited films for me, and some of the best experiences in a movie theater I ever had.

Geezer - Walk Hard
I think I have it on dvd, but I haven't watched it yet. It wasn't released in theater in France.

JohnL - Major Payne
Never heard of it, and I cant say my interest is piqued...

leestu - Big Fish
Six, you're saying Burton hasn't made a decent film since Sleepy Hollow ??!! You're too nice with the guy !! For me he hasn't made a decent film since "Mars Attacks ! !!!! But actually, I found "Big Fish" to be the most decent of his films since said Mars Attacks ;) Half of it was uninteressing (the one with Cotillard and Crudup), while the other half (with McGregor) was pretty good.

W - Office Space
Ha ! It had been a long time since you had come up with a film I like, W, but here is one. It may not be a GREAT comedy, but Office Space deserves some love for sure. Great characters. Stephen Root is hilarious in it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MAn, that's 2 things I got wrong in the last day. Geez, good to see there'll be more LoTR love later on. And Shryke, I may have ben mistake, but at least we got the origin story to your name!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare: Shrek (2001) – As has already been said, definitely the best of the franchise, with the best characters (although Puss In Boots was cool, though the only cool part of the second), but in comparison to Pixar, this is just decent. (7/10)

silversurfer: The Red Shoes (1948) – Chien, as a connoisseur of movies I'd have expected you to have already seen this, and you should indeed be ashamed for missing the opportunity to see it on the big screen. What I'd give for that chance! Pick it up on DVD at the very least.

thegreenarrow: Jurassic Park (1993) - Obviously I'm a big fan considering it missed my top 100 by the tiniest of margins, great story, great action, great SFX. Just an all round great family movie (10/10)

transformers: Starship Troopers (1997) - And another of my favourites too, this is turning into a decent round for me! (10/10)

englishozzy: Blade (1998) - I enjoy this one, some good action scenes and Snipes is totally bad ass in the role. Overall though I prefer Del Toro's sequel, it has better action scenes (Luke Goss, former singer in Bros, is one of the finest action actors around), more advanced story and some great cinematography. Still this was a very decent precursor. (6.5/10)

Ron Burgundy: JFK (1991) - I think I've only ever watched it once and I remember it feeling like it was going on for hours. I'm sure I remember there being some strong performances in the movie, but it was so bloated I just got a little bored. (5/10)

Buscemi: L.A. Confidential (1997) - Still a decent movie, and one I should watch again. (7.5/10)

Chienfantome: L’armée des ombres (Army of Shadows) (1969) – I'm a fan of Melville and I've been meaning to watch this for years but it's so hard to get a hold of. I'm so jealous of your retrospective cinemas, I'd kill for that (though we did recently have a few old movies played here, it seems you have one on every week!). I have my own Melville movie coming up pretty soon too. (N/A)

numbersix: City Of God (2002) - ANOTHER of my list in one round! wow, and you're correct, the acting is phenomenol considering they were not classically trained actors! (10/10)

Banks: Scrooged (1988) - Haven't seen this for years but I loved it when I last saw it, one of the very best Christmas movies with Murray at his finest. Need to watch this again, fast. Hopefully it's on this Christmas. (7/10)

BarcaRulz: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - Still prefer The Fellowship, but that climax battle is phenomenol and always worth a watch for that alone. (7.5/10)

Geezer: Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (2007) - Watched this last year and it was okay. Reilly was very funny at times, and the story by and large kept me interested. Not as good as other recent comedies like The 40 Year Old Vigin, but I guess it was a decent enough spoof. (6/10)

JohnL: Major Payne (1995) - Just not for me I guess, that trailer was kind of embarrassing. Whatever happened to the guy from Requiem For A Dream... (N/A)

leestu: Big Fish (2003) – You guys are being far too harsh on Burton. Yes his creativity has taken a little of a nosedive recently, and mainly I think that is because he keeps accepting source material to adapt rather than create something original. And this is one his better attempts over the last fifteen years. Out of all his movies since Ed Wood, the only essential Burton ones I'd say are Sleepy Hollow and Big Fish, this carries all the hallmarks of a traditional Burton movie without some of the ghastly charactures which have turned up recently, and add to that a great story with brilliant performances from McGregor and Finney. I remember seeing this in the cinema and having my faith restored in Burton, I just wish he could create something as good as this again. (8/10)

W: Office Space (1999) - Brilliant movie, so quotable and with characters to love. Probably one of the most successful cult (although that is kind of an oxymoron) movies ever. About time I started liking some of your movies. (10/10)

A really decent round this time, fully enjoyed a large majority of them.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Damon Wayans was in Major Payne (he seems to have retired from acting as his last film credit was in 2003). Marlon Wayans was in Requiem for a Dream (he was in G.I. Joe recently).

However Damon Wayans's son, Damon Wayans Jr. is now acting (having appeared in films such as Dance Flick and The Other Guys).

And a fun fact: Marlon Wayans was the original choice to play Robin in the first Batman film series (he would have made his film debut in Batman Returns). However, script rewrites caused his character to be written out and he was paid $2 million as compensation (Wayans had a pay or play deal, similar to Billy Dee Williams with Batman Forever).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Surfer, you should see the cinema theatres in Paris, it's a heaven for cinephiles. First there is the French Cinémathèque of course. Now it's a Melville retro, then it's the chinese Edward Yang, then the japanese Koji Watamatsu.
Then there are all the cinemas specialized in old movies, for retros, or old movies which are officially rereleased. There is a district in Paris wihch is specialized in such cinemas. Every day, every week, it's only classics playing, or little known old movies. I love going to those theatres to see the movies I have never seen.
That's why I can't see myself living anywhere else. Paris is the heaven for film lover !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #82

Shrykespeare

Eagle Eye (2008)
– Director: D.J. Caruso; starring Shia LaBeouf, Michelle Monaghan, Billy Bob Thornton, Rosario Dawson and Michael Chiklis. One of the biggest beginning-to-end adrenaline rushes I’ve ever experienced. The first time I saw it, I left the theater feeling like I’d been on an actual roller coaster for ninety minutes, my heart was pounding so fast. What a ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wkqo_Rd3_Q

silversurfer

Brazil (1985)
– Director: Terry Gilliam; starring Jonathan Pryce, Robert DeNiro, Katherine Helmond, Bob Hoskins and Michael Palin. I can still remember first seeing this late one night in the early 90s and being totally beguiled by what was presented in from of me. Without doubt Terry Gilliam's greatest effort to date, this brilliant black comedy set in an alternate future reality of a post Orwellian 1984 universe is both touching and fantastical all at once. Gilliam's visual creativity and inventions are limitless, but beyond that his narrative drive is what ultimately makes this a classic example of great cinema for me. In a world where lowly bureaucrats can dream of flying through the clouds with beautiful blondes rather than the daily trudges of a monotonous life where paperwork rules all, you can't help but immerse yourself within all the wonder of it. Jonathan Pryce is the delightful everyman, while Robert DeNiro provides an inspired comic turn as a repairman/ terrorist in a role which was at the time against type. It truly is a hilariously witty movie which looks beautiful, and surprisingly (I watched it only a few months ago), it still maintains its impact of being totally ahead of it's time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wh2b1eZFUM

thegreenarrow

The Goonies (1985)
- Director: Richard Donner; starring Sean Astin, Josh Brolin and Corey Feldman. Another movie fueled by nostalgia, this is a classic adventure story, which has great sets, funny characters and in parts was really scary for me as a child and even now! The booby traps were brilliant, and I always wished I could go through an underwater cave and emerge at One Eyed Willy's Pirate ship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgc8Ute2tU

transformers

Toy Story 2 (1999)
- Director: John Lasseter; starring Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack and Kelsey Grammer. Toy Story is a hard act to follow, but Toy Story 2 does it with grace. It's pretty much on the same level as the original. The jokes are still great, the new characters are good, and there is still a whole lot of heart in it. Toy Story is a great franchise and kudos to Pixar for continuing the series in the right way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu0sotERXhI

englishozzy

Kick-Ass (2010)
- Director: Matthew Vaughn; starring Aaron Johnson, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Mark Strong and Chloe Moretz. A movie that is not for the faint of heart, a hugely violent and darkly funny adaptation from a comic book. Kick-Ass is something that benefited from Matthew Vaughn not going the traditional route and trying to acquire some studio financial backing. This meant that he had free reign to do whatever the fuck he wanted, which results in easily my film of the year to date. I think it works because it never really takes itself too seriously and it relies on previous superhero movies with constant references to Batman and the like. Nicolas Cage is superb but Chloe Moretz steals the show as a foul-mouthed crazed little girl that loves to Kick-Ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DSQN1Xi_c0gI
You might have to sign-in to watch the link but its my favourite scene.

Ron Burgundy

Starsky & Hutch (2004)
- Director: Todd Phillips; starring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Snoop Dogg, Vince Vaughn, Juliette Lewis, Jason Bateman and Amy Smart. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson managed to make me laugh several times in this awesome 70's parody. Snoop Dogg actually pulls off his role as Huggy Bear too and to top things off Vince Vaughn is the villian! Really liked that dance scene where Starsky accidentally does cocaine and brings out all the moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx_zYpHVgd4

Buscemi

Sin City (2005)
- Directors: Robert Rodriguez/Frank Miller/Quentin Tarantino; starring Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Bruce Willis, Jessica Alba and Benicio del Toro. In my opinion, the best comic book adaptation of all-time. Robert Rodriguez shows off his many talents here (he co-directed, produced, adapted, edited, composed, did cinematography and supervised the visual effects on it) and manages to compose a cast full of stars and unlike most ensemble casts, this cast does not distract you from the action. Out of the three segments, That Yellow Bastard is easily the best of the lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKFLrTYKIXk

Chienfantome

The Dead Zone (1983)
– Director: David Cronenberg, starring Christopher Walken, Tom Skeritt and Martin Sheen. I discovered Cronenberg’s adaptation of Stephen King late. It was in a theatre with a restored copy, maybe 4 or 5 years ago. This is probably one of Cronenberg’s most accessible films, but it would be a big mistake to assimilate accessibility with mediocrity. It’s a movie about the “What if” with a classical and often repeated formula: what if you knew the future ? what if you could change it ? Cronenberg manages to make a pure Cold War movie out of it in the Reagan era. It’s a film that perfectly formulates the fear of nuclear war and manages to do so in a sci-fi B movie filled with cold and bitterness. Some might say it has aged a bit, and they would probably be right, but sometimes, it suits well to a film, and The Dead Zone is one of those movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tr6tJfsSDk

numbersix

The King of Comedy (1982)
- Director: Martin Scorsese; starring Robert DeNiro, Jerry Lewis and Sandra Bernhard. While many say Scorsese’s descent started in the 80’s (with Goodfellas being the only highpoint afterwards), this is actually one of his best works. Disliked when it came out, its major crime was being far too ahead of its time. The film was not only a satire on fame and the entertainment industry, but the humour was dark and often cringe-worthy. There would have been no Larry Sanders show if it wasn’t for this film, and hence there would have been no The Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm. DeNiro’s performance as the delusional Rupert Pupkin is possibly the most self-deprecating of his career, and Jerry Lewis is brilliantly icy. Music fans will also notice a brief appearance by The Clash as a gang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oLdPSjfnMQ

Banks

The Boondock Saints (1999)
- Director: Troy Duffy; starring Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus and Willem Dafoe. I avoided watching The Boondock Saints for as long as I can; I always thought it was the favorite flick of frat boy douchebags. Little did I know, it just happened to be a wonderfully tongue-in-cheek, action heavy, fun-filled movie about paying back the people who do terrible things to innocent people. And Willem Dafoe – I don’t think there’s another film in his career where he is as fantastic as he is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Mt5yDqngM

BarcaRulz

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)
- Director: Don Coscarelli; starring Bruce Campbell, Ossie Davis, and Ella Joyce. Some of you might think that this is not a serious pick, but I assure you this is a cult favorite for a reason. Funny, quirky, and well acted by a like-able cast. I love the story, and this film does it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Qo74_L3vo

Geezer

Aladdin (1992)
- Director: Ron Clements and John Musker; starring: Scott Weigner, Robin Williams and Linda Larkin. Seems to be quite the popular animated feature amongst this group, and I will add my name to the list of fans. I loved it as a kid and wore out the VHS tape watching it over and over, and it is still a great film today. The Genie is on our list of great characters for a reason! Fantastic, classic Disney (I consider just about everything before the Pixar era to be "classic Disney"). And it's my girlfriend's favorite Disney movie, so I'm glad its one that I like because we still watch it all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd07uvkTeKo
(How ‘bout a little more baklavaaaaaaaah?)

JohnL

Dazed and Confused (2003)
- Director: Richard Linklater; starring: Jason London, Wiley Wiggins and Matthew McConaughey. “Thats what I like about these high school girls: I get older they stay the same age yes they do.” A great look at the 70s culture and being a freshmen, the drugs, the music, the drinking, the sex, the uhhh.. “paddling.” Brings you back to a simpler more free time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_eTV4lRJYU

leestu

Benny & Joon (1993)
– Director: Jeremiah S. Chechik; starring Johnny Depp, Mary Stuart Masterson and Aidan Quinn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEciMBEUL_s

W

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004)
- Director: Rawson Marshall Thurber; starring Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller, Christine Taylor, Rip Torn and Justin Long. Has Ben Stiller ever been more over the top? With memorable quotes like "No one makes me bleed my own blood," and "If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball!" along with over the top characters like White Goodman, Steve the Pirate, Patches O'Houlihan, and Cotton and Pepper of ESPN 8: The Ocho, this is and entertaining film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHltCzuwlOs

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - A film that while i class as enjoyable, it didnt quite push many boundries to take it outside its safe zone. 7/10

Tranny - What's not to love about those toys?? Everything Pixar has accomplished and the respect that they have earned is down to this series, the pinnacle of animation and probably will not be repeated for some time. 10/10

Buscemi - Was a bit dubious when the trailer first came out but this film really grew on me as i was watching it. 9/10

Geezer - Although this film has been getting some stick from some viewers in this thread i think this is the third time it has shown up. 9/10

W - A funny film in parts but found some scenes to be a tad boring which kinda ruined it for me. 6/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #82

Shrykespeare: Eagle Eye (2008) – It's an interesting point you bring up, and perhaps one that is the fundamental difference between how we regard films. You see, I can totall appreaciate the thrill of an action movie. You compared this film to a rollercoaster, which may be true, but for me, a film being a rollercoaster just isn't enough. That's what rollercoasters are for! Film for me needs to have a deeper level of meaning, otherwise I just completely forget it. Like a MacDonalds meal. And because most blockbusters only aim to be rollercoasters and don't strive for anything deeper, they're a waste of time for me. Hence, I haven't seen this. I did see Disturbia on TV recently, and disliked it so much I'm now very wary of DJ Caruso.

silversurfer: Brazil (1985) – I get a feeling SS that you will have more films in my list than any other. I truly adore this film. It took the premise of 1984, as you say, added absurdist humour yet also manages to retain the idea of our hopes and dreams being crushed by an authortarian state. A beautiful film, and perhaps Gilliam's best. I have the 3-disc Criterion edition DVD, and it's totally worth it.

thegreenarrow: The Goonies (1985) - Loved it as a kid, saw parts of it recently and I felt it hasn't stood the test of time that much. Interesting to see a teenage Josh Brolin, though!

transformers: Toy Story 2 (1999) - Not as good as the original for me, but as a sequel it's pretty damn great. Some real interesting themes going on, the jokes are excellent, and overall an almost flawless film.

englishozzy: Kick-Ass (2010) - Still too early for me to tell, as I've only seen this twice, but even still I feel the tone of the last few scenes is too far from how the film starts to work perfectly, but I still immensely enjoyed it.

Ron Burgundy: Starsky & Hutch (2004) - There's some nice chemistry between Stiller and Wilson, but overall this film just doesn't work. The jokes fall flat most of the time, and I thought Vaughn was awful as the villian. He just sleepwalked through the role.

Buscemi: Sin City (2005) - I remember seeing the trailer, and being blown away. Then I saw the movie, and was blown away! Not only because I had never seen anything quite like it before, but also because of the disturbing ultraviolence. And also because it was a Rodreguez film that I actually liked! A very impressive film based on its style alone. Some of the dialogue is awful (most of the female characters, and the Irish terrorist guy), and it's a little weak thematically, but still deserves kudos based ont he ambition and look alone.

Chienfantome: The Dead Zone (1983) – I'm not a fan of Cronenberg in general. If he's not trying to gross out the audience he's making somewhat pallid thrillers. But there are two "in-between" films that I feel are very good. The first is Dead Ringers, which I've only seen once and need to rewatch (it's hard to get on DVD). The second is this. I think it's the spleen-y tone that carries throughout the movie. Walken's character's life is ruined by his ability, even though its his chocies which could potentially change world events. Very well done and eprhaps Walken's last great performance. Also another example of a King adaptation that's better than the book. Did you know there's a TV show of The Dead Zone? I haven't seen any of it, though.

Banks: The Boondock Saints (1999) - Though no one around here knows it, it seems to be quite the cult film over in the US. Must give it a chance one of these days.

BarcaRulz: Bubba Ho-Tep (2002) - It sounds so crazy it just might work! I remember this being in the cinema but I thought I'd give it a miss as I suspected it might be a tad too throwaway for me.

Geezer: Aladdin (1992) - Someone said something interested a few days about this: that without the genie the film doesn't work. That's a major problem but I don't remember the film enough to be able to say, so all I can add is that I did like it.

JohnL: Dazed and Confused (2003) - It's an alright American-Grafitti style movie that ultimately feels a little hollow for me. Rather than explore how our past and childhood can affect our lives, the film is more like a vacuum-sealed glimpse of life as a teen. It just doesn't follow through, as if it's afraid to say anything. Also, you say it was a "simpler, more free time", and that's my problem with films like these. I don't think times were simple or "free". Hell, times were more socially conservative in general back then, if you think about it. Philosophers call it "nostalgia for the past", a sort of willing amnesia about the trials of previous generations, an ignoring of historicity which ultimately disassociates us from reality. Er... so yeah, not a great film.

leestu: Benny & Joon (1993) – Did you have a crush on Depp in the 90's? Another one I haven't seen.

W: Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) - Stiller is funny in it, but that's about it for me.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Eagle Eye
I think Six makes an acurate observation on how some Tops differs from others. As long as everyone LOVE the films he cites, it's great, but when I see "Eagle Eye" on your Top, Shryke, we're clearly in different moods when it comes to loving our films ;) But it's cool. Eagle Eye was a watchable film, but it had an early expiry date for me. I barely remember it, while it is such a recent film. I probably won't ever see it again.

Silversurfer - Brazil
I really need to re-watch Brazil. I have only seen it once, on VHS, something like 12 or 13 years ago. I loved it, but it was way too long ago to clearly know what I think of it, to elaborate an opinion on it. I love Gilliam when he makes ambitious sci-fi films such as this, so I'm inclined to think I would love it. But I need to see it again.

greenarrow - The Goonies
An old time fave. I've watched it, and watched it as a kid, like Princess Bride or the Indiana Joneses. I've seen it again a couple of years ago, and it was a pleasant watch, full of memories and laughs. Not as great as it was when I was a kid, but still a very nice 80's flick.

Transformers - Toy Story 2
The quality of Toy Story 3 made me want to see the first two again. I haven't seen them since theatre, and that's a shame. They are not my best memories of Pixar, but I still love them. I think the 3rd one was better than the second one, though.

englishozzy - Kick Ass
Clearly one of the good surprises of 2010. I've seen it twice, and itwas pure fun. What really strikes me is the darkness of it, how violent it is. It feels weird, but does not lessen the quality of the ensemble.

Ron B - Starsky & Hutch
I'm surprised to find this film here, for sure. The series was a classic when I grew up, and I was curious for the film, and although it was very different from the series, as I 'm a fan of Wilson, Stiller, Ferrell and the bunch, the fun was present. I wouldn't put it in a Top, but it's cool.

Buscemi - Sin City
This is clearly, in my eyes, Robert Rodriguez' best film to date. He masters the art of film noir with it, and brings such novelty, such audacity, such brilliance. The characters are amazing, the visual work is outstanding, and he brings out the best out of his actors. Willis is particularly remarkable. Now why did I not put this in my Top ??!!

Six - The king of comedy
A friend of mine made me see it 6 or 7 years ago, as I had never watched it, and I found it quite good. De Niro and Lewis performances are great in it, and the look at the desire of success and the backstage of tv is interesting. It did not strike me as an essential Scorsese, but it's good.

Banks - The Boondock Saints
I'm really amazed by the popularity of this film. It doesn't seem good, and was never released in France. I'm a bit curious, but I'd be surprised to find it that great. But one day, I'll catch it.

Barca - Bubba Ho Tep
I've seen it in theater, it was released 2 years after the US in France. It was a fun little film.

Geezer - Aladdin
Still one of my favourite disney of my childhood.

JohnL - Dazed and Confused
I've got this one on DVD, I've only seen it once, but I loved it when I saw it. The nostalgia works greatly, and it's fun to see all those actors when they were young and unknown. Nicely written.

Leestu - Benny and Joon
I remember seeing this one on the cable a few years ago, but I can't really remember it. It was quirky I remember. Probably watchable. But I don't remember it.

W - Dodgeball
I love it. I love it. The laughs keeps coming when I watch this one. Great comedy (but will we ever see other genresin your top, W ?)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #82

thegreenarrow - The Goonies (1985) - Great film from my teenage years. Not something I could really watch again with as much enjoyment. (6/10)

transformers - Toy Story 2 (1999) - Actually, this is my least favorite of all the Pixar films. Don't even remember why, it's been ten years since I've seen it. (6/10)

englishozzy - Kick-Ass (2010) - As before, tremendously entertaining. (8/10)

Buscemi - Sin City (2005) - Awesome pick. Loved it. (8/10)

Geezer - Aladdin (1992) - It's on my list, so I love it. (9/10)

W - Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) - Never saw it in theaters, but have seen it twenty times on cable. On of the funniest movies of the last decade. Coming up later on my list. (10/10)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #81

Shrykespeare

Dave (1993)
– Director: Ivan Reitman; starring Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Ving Rhames and Ben Kingsley. Kline has never been better than as affable temp agency owner Dave Kovic, who is asked to stand in for the President after a medical crisis. Though the film makes the whole political process a little oversimplified, most modern-day politicians should take a cue from this film, which rightly points out that they are there to serve the public, not the other way around. The chemistry between Kline and Weaver is undeniable, but it’s Kline’s relationship with a Secret Service agent played by Rhames that gives the film its most poignant moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHMDyqfwA1A

silversurfer

Aliens (1986)
– Director: James Cameron; starring Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen, Carrie Henn, Paul Reiser and Bill Paxton. How on earth do you make a sequel to one of the most respected movies of all time and not have it instantly hated? Well, one way is to hire a young director by the name of James Cameron and rather than imitate the original, brilliantly transform it from a slow, brooding and atmospheric thriller into a full throttle, adrenaline fuelled rampage against a horde of acid-blood aliens. However, Cameron did a hell of a lot more than just spend a lot of money blowing things up, instead he was unafraid to expand upon Ridley Scott's original vision, developing each character to the finest detail, and the audience are ultimately rewarded tenfold for his effort. He also seems to have a knack for really developing strong female leads, and here Ripley has transformed during her 57 years in a cryogenic chamber into a totally kick ass alien terminator, and Weaver seems to totally relish the role. Is it better than the original? Well I don't that's a fair question, as they are two completely different animals, but undoubtedly it is one of the finest action movies ever created, one which is brutal but at the same time methodically thought out and inventive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brEzYdLrPws

thegreenarrow

Breakfast At Tiffanys (1961)
- Director: Blake Edwards. Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard. I was afraid after having watched the movie so many times when I was younger that I would lose my appreciation for it after reading the book, but in the end I still love it and it despite veering for the book a little. A brilliantly stylish classic, with Hepburn born to play the role of Holly Golightly. I love the scene in the dollar shop where they steal the masks, backed by the comedic music. Her apartment is also cool too, her effortless style is incomparable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urQVzgEO_w8

transformers

Step Brothers (2008)
- Director: Adam McKay; starring Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Richard Jenkins and Mary Steenburgen. Step Brothers is another home run from the combo of Will Ferrell and Adam McKay. Their brand of comedy always makes me laugh non-stop. This film runs on Ferrell and Reilly's chemistry. They are one hell of a comedy team. Step Brothers is filled with memorable quotes and it gets better on each viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANjenc4W1_Q

englishozzy

Cloverfield (2008)
- Director: Matt Reeves; starring Lizzy Caplan, Jessica Lucas, T.J. Miller and Michael Stahl-David. Probably the best marketing campaign I have seen in a long time, and with J.J. Abrams name attached, I couldn’t help but feel very much intrigued about this film. I wasn't disappointed, Matt Reeves managed to achieve something that has been done plenty of times before him (Blair Witch being the standout) and turning it into something that felt fresh and unique. Recording the entire film out of a digital camera that someone is carrying around while an unknown monster is attacking New York City not only manages to give you a sense of involvement in the film, but also builds up the suspense as we only get glimpses of the monster until the very end. Having said that, I am a firm believer that you can only really pull something like this off once so to have a needless sequel would be pointless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufYF0f-zMgY

Ron Burgundy

Reservoir Dogs (1992)
- Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn and Steve Buscemi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvoKT481EmU

Buscemi

The Last Temptation Of Christ (1988)
- Director: Martin Scorsese; starring Willem Dafoe, Barbara Hershey, Harvey Keitel, David Bowie and Harry Dean Stanton. Martin Scorsese's dream project, this Biblical epic which sparked controversy is possibly the definitive film about that time period. Though controversial for its themes, it is refreshing to see an alternate take on the life of Christ. Willem Dafoe makes for a fantastic Christ and some of the other casting choices, though odd, make sense in context and work quite well. In short, Scorsese shouldn't have been condemned for making it. He should have been praised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihrMTU0lozs

Chienfantome

Le Petit Prince a dit (1992)
– Director: Christine Pascal, starring Richard Berry and Anémone. This is a film I am unfortunately 100% sure no one has ever heard of, let alone seen it. In fact I haven’t even found a trailer or clip from it, so you can’t even view images, sorry. It’s a small, simple and very delicate French drama. It’s about a girl, barely teenager, whose parents are divorced and is living with her grandmother. When the father, who’s a doctor, learns that she has an incurable tumor, he takes his daughter out of the hospital and takes her on the roads to spend time with her and let her enjoy the little time she has left. I remember one of my parents took me to see this film in theater, probably my mother, and the film disturbed the 11 year-old I was at the time. I was the same age as the film’s heroin. I did not see this film for a long time, and then finally saw it again 3 or 4 years ago and was overwhelmed by it. It’s such a delicate film looking at death through the eyes of a child, and how to handle to upcoming death of your child when you are a parent. The director of this film, Christine Pascal, committed suicide in 1996, she was barely more than 40.

numbersix

La Régle Du Jeu (1939)
- Director: Jean Renoir; starring Marcel Dalio, Paulette Dubost and Jean Renoir. There’s nothing more satisfying when you sit down and casually watch a film, only to be blown away by its unexpected brilliance. Renoir was an astute observer of the contradictions in society, and teased them out in his films in order to show people just how ridiculous they can all be. La Régle du Jeu Renoir achieved what few dared to, by revealing the nastiness of the upper-class, and also showing what went on behind closed doors, with both the rich and the servants. He mixed “comedy of manners” with a more realist, dramatic directorial style that apparently caused controversy at the time, as it was a little too observational for the Parisian bourgeoisie. But despite the historical aspect, this still remains as one of the best portrayals of upper class (and it holds true today for all of us pretentious middle-class folk too) and their self-absorption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxs4P6u1EiI

Banks

Election (1999)
- Director: Alexander Payne; starring Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick. 11 years and countless movies later, this is still Witherspoon’s best performance that I’ve ever seen – as I have yet to check out Walk The Line. While it’s a great portrayal of the classic high school “mean girl”/nerd, Broderick is fantastic as his entire life falls apart around him. It’s the little things that make this movie memorable, like the freeze frame on Tracy’s face when she finds out she won – prematurely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXynyyDNz-4

BarcaRulz

Dan In Real Life (2007)
- Director: Peter Hedges; starring Steve Carell, Juliette Binoche, and Dane Cook. One of the biggest surprises in 2007 for me. To be honest I didn't think much of it when I first saw the trailer, and I stayed away from the movie as a potential pick on my slates back then because of that (which turned out to be a mistake as it was a cheap sleeper hit pretty much), but when I actually watched it I loved it. Steve Carell is one of my favorite comedic actors, but his semi-serious role in this one was perfectly acted, and the ensemble cast was great for the most part. What I like most about this though is the writing. When Peter Hedges has a writing credit it usually means the film has high quality realistic dialogue, with perfectly timed subtle comedy, which is something I admire in a movie, especially a drama one (he also did it well in Pieces of April, About a Boy, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SqaWEBSd4g

Geezer

Hot Fuzz (2007)
- Director: Edgar Wright; starring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Martin Freeman. Just a brilliantly hysterical turn from Pegg and Frost. Dialogue that never ceases to crack me up. I fell in love with them (and director Edgar Wright) like most people, with Sean of the Dead, and the follow up was nearly as good, albeit very different. I guess some people don't get it, but I find it hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8hqExgrxQU

JohnL

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983)
- Director: Richard Marquand; starring Mark Hamill, Harison Ford and Carrie Fisher. “ Let the hate flow through you” - The Emperor. The final Star Wars movie is, in many peoples opinion, the best one. I've seen this movie many many times and its still awesome, with all your favorite charters and some new ones. Plus Luke vs. Vader round two, speeder bikes, more Death Star destruction, Ewoks, that annoying thing Jabba keeps by his side and Princess Leia in a solid gold bikini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKh2MENj7ug

leestu

A Night to Remember (1958)
- Director: Roy Baker; starring Kenneth More and Honore Blackman. The best telling of the Titanic story, providing a factual account of the events but also managing to have a powerful emotional impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEbr-FRI10U

W

Surviving the Game (1994)
- Director: Ernest R. Dickerson; starring Ice-T, Rutger Hauer, Charles S. Dutton and Gary Busey. Though the fourth billed actor, this film is so Busey. The general idea is good, hunting people for sport, and Ice-T is a decently convincing homeless man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YwEArrXNnI

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:
leestu: Benny & Joon (1993) – Did you have a crush on Depp in the 90's? Another one I haven't seen.
Yeah, I suppose I am a bit of a Depp fanboy; :oops: and there is still one more to come very soon. I do think he is one of the better actors from the nineties to now, but it is more than just his acting or him as to why the two movies of his so far are faves of mine. To explain I have to get personal. See I like movies that I relate to an an emotional level and movies about the mind, and more specifically intellectual disabilities, often reach something within me when they are well made. It is probably worth mentioning that I do work in the disabilities sector (both physically and intellectually), as well as having a close family member with an intellectual disability, so films like these two that show respect and tell a part of their side of the story I value. Plus with Benny and Joon its got the quirkyness and homages to Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin type comedy.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #81

Shrykespeare: Dave (1993) – I would describe this as a Sunday afternoon film. Mostly because it's quite often on TV on Sunday afternoons. It's a nice movie, and Kline is charming, but it's not exactly a verry deep or impressive film on every level. Nice just isn't enough to make my Top 100, but it's not a bad film.

silversurfer: Aliens (1986) – Another film that we both have on our lists. Have you seen the extended, Director's Cut? Don't think it adds anything, but it's worth a watch for curiosity's sake.

thegreenarrow: Breakfast At Tiffanys (1961) - I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen this film. Must get aroudn to it. I guess it's because I'm not a massive fan of Audrey Hepburn, she was always mroe quirk than a great actress.

transformers: Step Brothers (2008) - Haven't seen it, and didn't like the trailer when it was out.

englishozzy: Cloverfield (2008) - Like I mentioned before, "found footage" films are like rollercoaster rides. This is pretty good ride in amny ways, but ultimately it just doesn't mean anything to me.

Ron Burgundy: Reservoir Dogs (1992) - The first and I'm sure not the last we'll see of this film. I loved it as a teen, and I've grown out of it a little. But as heist/crime movies go, this is definitely one of the best.

Buscemi: The Last Temptation Of Christ (1988) - Excellent movie, and a contender for my Top 100. Coming from a Roman Catholic country, this film just blows me away with its radical humanising of Christ. No wonder it offended so many people. Scorsese deserves nothign but praise for makign something to ballsy, and it's proof that his recent career is so disappointing for being so safe. Interestingly, I watched this in the same week I watched The Passion of the Christ, and doing that just emphasised how awful Gibson's torture-porn flick is, and how brimming with ideas, themes, and character arcs, Scorsese's film is.

Chienfantome: Le Petit Prince a dit (1992) – Yep, never heard of it. Not something that would interest me too much either, though.

Banks: Election (1999) - Seeing as I'm a fan of the last two movies directed by Payne (and his segment of Paris, Je T'Aime was the only great one) I should really get around to watching this.

BarcaRulz: Dan In Real Life (2007) - Never seen it, and it didn't get much attention over here. I do think Carell is one of the best comic actors around, though. Trailer makes it look rather... routine.

Geezer: Hot Fuzz (2007) - As I mentioned before, when I first saw this movie I thought it was a slightly confused homage to action movies that went on for too long. But fortunately I rewatched and realised it's far more intelligent than that, playing around with British class conflict and the rural insistence on perception. And great jokes too.

JohnL: Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983) - When I was a kid this was my favourite as it's a resolution. But ultimately I think we could have done without the Ewoks, and the Luke Vs Vadar fights just aren't as impressive as the second film. Some great moments, and a satisfying end, but its the worst of the original trilogy.

leestu: A Night to Remember (1958) - Never seen it, as it always came across as a "disaster" movie to me, and I just don't like them. Might check it out, though.

W: Surviving the Game (1994) - Never heard of it, sounds a little like The Most Dangerous Game.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Dave
I haven't seen in it a long time, but I remember it was a fine little comedy. Nothing extraordinary unfortunately, but better see this than something like Eagle Eye in your Top, Shryke ;)

Surfer - Aliens
Wow you too. I guess it is going to be a plebiscit for Cameron's film, and I can only say it baffles me.

greenarrow - Breakfast at Tiffany's
It's a delight of a comedy, full of the charm of Audrey Hepburn, who wasn't a GREAT actress but compensated by how witty she was. Holly's probably the most iconic role of Hepburn, and Edwards knows how to make a comedy, although I prefer his collaborations with Peter Sellers.

transformers - Step Brothers
It's another great comedy from McKay and Ferrell. ALmost all the time hilarious, the duo of Ferrell and Reilly is perfect. Love it.

Ozzy - Cloverfield
Meeeeh, another appearance of this disappointing film, which was interesting visually but was completely and absolutely predictable screenplay wise. No surprise whatsoever.

Ron B - Reservoir Dogs
As soon as I read the title here, the music was playing in my head. Here they are, I see them. Keitel. Roth. Buscemi. Madsen dancing. When I made my list I left reservoir out, because I felt I hadn't seen it in such a long time, 12 year ago easily... But now I regret it. One of the essential gangster movies with such an original point of view. Great.

Buscemi - The Last temptation of Christ
I'm not condemning Scorsese's film for any religious reason, as I am a pure atheist and any critic or spoof of religion is generally welcomed by me. Still, I did not like Last temptation. I'm not interested in the Christ supposed "true" version, and I'm not the least bit interested either in a "deformed version". religion is a fascinating theme, but the life of Christ, be it as seen in the Last temptation, bores me.

Six - La règle du jeu
Wonderful choice Six. Renoir's film is a defining work of cinema, which I had studied in high school. I haven't seen it since then, but it's one of those old movies that still feels so modern.

Banks - Election
Haven't seen it since theatre, but it clearly was one of my favourite american films of that year, the one that introduced me with Alexander Payne. Witherspoon has never been so good, and the look it takes on the power struggles, even in such a small community as high school, is fascinating.

Barca - Dan in real life
It was a nice little romantic comedy, but nothing more for me. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Binoche.

Geezer - Hot Fuzz
Still a good comedy, but still not in the "AMAZING" camp.

JohnL - Return of the Jedi
Like Six, I consider Jedi the weakest of the original Star Wars trilogy, but hey, that's just being picky about one of the greatest sci-fi oeuvre of cinema. Yes Jedi is not as good as the first two episodes, but I still have a blast while watching it after Empire strikes back.

leestu - A night to remember
Leestu, I think you are the one who comes up with films I have not seen the most ;) So once again, I haven't seen this !

W - Surviving the game
And W, you're probably the one with the strangest picks, for now ;) I haven't seen, or even heard of it, but it doesn't look promising... !
Fluctuat nec mergitur