Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #2): 90-81

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #2): 90-81

Post by Shrykespeare »

Round 2... here we go.

MOVIE #90

Shrykespeare

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Director: Gore Verbinski; starring: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightly and Geoffrey Rush. Was there a more iconic character created in the last decade than Depp’s Cap’n Jack Sparrow? I don’t think so. Like The Matrix, the first chapter was somewhat diminished by its overblown sequels, but the original is still quite enjoyable as a stand-alone picture. One of the most rousing adventure stories of the last ten years, no doubt about it… the action was spectacular and Hans Zimmer’s score was nigh-perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21_3g8JB-K8t

silversurfer

Touch Of Evil (1958)
– Director: Orson Welles; starring Charlton Heston, Orson Welles and Janet Leigh. Welles' take on the Whit Masterton novel about police corruption, deceit, kidnapping and murder on the border of Mexico is a gloriously gloomy affair, in which Welles is tantalizingly good as the world weary alcoholic cop, jaded with grief and who will implement whatever means necessary to catch the guilty party. From the opening scene alone this movie deserves to be in my top 100, in which we are presented with the tracking shot of a ticking bomb being set into motion and placed into the trunk of a car, before it's unsuspecting victim climbs in and proceeds to drive through town. All shot in one take to awesome effect, the tension is raised to the maximum before the climactic explosion right in front of Heston's narcotics officer Vargas. What ensues after this is a classic noir full of intrigue and mystery, as we sift through the murky underbelly of the border town's cops in the hope of catching the killer and the motives behind it. Shot gloriously in black and white, it really amps up the atmospheric unease. Welles is notorious for his innovative direction and camera techniques, and while he doesn't let us down here, he proves once again how underrated he was as an actor, with a truly menacing performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmOX7tL_rcc

thegreenarrow

Watership Down (1978)
– Director: Martin Rosen; starring John Hurt, Richard Briers, Zero Mostel and Ralph Richardson. A movie I grew up with, it was also one of the most disturbing and frightening films I had ever watched. You really don't get them made like they used to, mainly because parents would be too scared to allow their kids to experience such provocative film making, what is memorable for me was a haunting score and a beautifully crafted story of rabbits escaping their warren and looking for a new safe haven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZcHLpjiEdw

transformers

The Fifth Element (1997)
- Director: Luc Besson; starring Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich, Gary Oldman and Chris Tucker. The Fifth Element is a visionary sci-fi masterpiece. Luc Besson's unique view of the future makes for a damn fine sci-fi flick. This film is equal parts compelling and fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoKssDjs64o

englishozzy

Monsters vs. Aliens (2009)
- Director: Rob Letterman and Conrad Vernon; starring Reese Witherspoon, Seth Rogen, Hugh Laurie, Will Arnett and Kiefer Sutherland. Much like How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda, this film truly gave me appreciation for DreamWorks in their constant battle to upstage Pixar. For me, Pixar will always be the greater of the two studios purely because of their awesome catalogue but this studio is giving them a run for their money that nobody has ever been able to do. A flawless piece of work with every joke in the film paying off without dipping too much into 'pop culture' for cheap laughs. If anything this film pays homage to all those 50's monster movies you would watch on late night TV (The Blob, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman, etc.), and give them a new life in 3D animation. Easily one of my favourite films of 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rgF4dvGW8

Ron Burgundy

The Hangover (2009)
- Director: Todd Phillips; starring Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Heather Graham, Justin Bartha, Ken Jeong and Mike Tyson. The Hangoveris probably the most recent comedy film to appear on my list, and who would have thought it would make so much money. I remember it being only $10 in the Ultimate league, and dam that was a good pick! To make things better, it was such a laugh at the cinemas, I can hardly remember a better time I went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpVHRcy0BtE

Buscemi

The Hidden Fortress (1958)
- Director: Akira Kurosawa; starring Toshiro Mifune, Misa Uehara, Minoru Chiaki and Kamatari Fujiwara. An adventure film about the ecstasy of gold, this is one of the best films of Kurosawa's career. It is a captivating journey with good people who are less fortunate going against all odds and enemy territory to rebuild what was once theirs or simply to get rich. The storytelling is great and so is the teamwork of Kurosawa as director and Mifune as the star. This was also one of the major inspirations of Star Wars (as the two peasant characters became the basis for C-3P0 and R2-D2).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVlM5wbA6WU

Chienfantome

The Killing Fields (1984)
– Director: Roland Joffé; starring Sam Waterston, Haing S. Ngor and John Malkovich. It’s been too many years since I last saw The Killing Fields. But there are films you don’t need to see often to know what their value is. Roland Joffé’s take on the Cambodian genocide is one of them. Some might see it as a generic film, one that goes through obligatory schemes of Hollywood drama, but deep down The Killing Fields is a moving drama, beyond the war, the terror and the tragedy of it, about friendship, about regret, about guilt. Roland Joffé may have won a Golden Palm for The Mission, but The Killing Fields is, in my eyes, is best film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z1sj7gzpCk

numbersix

Primer (2004)
- Director: Shane Carruth; starring Shane Carruth, David Sullivan and Samantha Thomson. Being involved in film-making, it’s always inspiring to see a film that was shot on a shoe-string budget ($7,000, apparently) and is genuinely good. For those who haven’t seen it, it’s a story of two engineers who spend their spare time trying to create inventions and retire on the patent. After toying with a device that is meant to alter mass, they accidentally create a time machine. But once they enter the machine and find themselves back in time, we soon begin to realize that this isn’t the first time they’ve done this. What follows is a brain-bending story of ambition and betrayal. And while I’m making that sensationalist, what I like about this film is how everything is downplayed. Performances are naturalistic, plot is low-key, but the science is fascinating. More brains than heart, it’s nevertheless a smart, engaging film that doesn’t pander to the lowest common denominator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CC60HJvZRE

Banks

Taxi Driver (1976)
- Director: Martin Scorsese; starring Robert DeNiro, Jodie Foster and Harvey Keitel. I came late to the Scorsese party (as I do with most older films), but this was the perfect introduction to the sleazy, gritty New York City movies of the 1970s. DeNiro, who became Bickle totally and entirely, strolls through late night NYC, brimming with contempt with everyone he comes across. Taxi Driver is the best I’ve seen of DeNiro so far, and while watching it, I realized why he is usually known as one of the greatest actors of all-time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqLyTdcMLhc

BarcaRulz

Trainspotting (1996)
- Director: Danny Boyle; starring Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremner, Jonny Lee Miller, Kevin McKidd, Robert Carlyle, and Kelly Macdonald. One of the best and (apparently) most realistic looks at how a 'drug mind' works. Some really shocking scenes (cough-BABY-cough) mixed in with some inspired directing and acting make this a powerful film not to forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUOTs55KY40

Geezer

The Mummy (1999)
- Director: Stephen Sommers; starring: Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, John Hannah and Arnold Vosloo. Fun, exhilarating, scary at times, great action scenes through ancient Egyptian ruins, what’s not to love! Well, the two tacked on sequels, thats for sure. But I love the wit, charm, and pure adrenaline rush that is The Mummy. First saw it when I was in middle school and I have never stopped loving it. Doubt that I ever will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMwW-kzwltA

JohnL

Kurt Cobain: About A Son (2008)
- Director: Al Schnack; starring Kurt Cobain. “People Don't need to know to know every detail about my life, honestly its none of there fucking business.” This film brought together amazing visuals and photography with amazing music that Kurt loved and of course the magnificent stories and thoughts of the late Kurt Cobain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL0iAXUatdY

leestu

Fight Club (1999)
– Director: David Fincher; starring Edward Norton, Brad Pitt and Helena Bonham Carter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QgFWXLN-ug

W

50 First Dates (2004)
- Director: Peter Segal; starring Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore and Rob Schneider. It's the classic boy meets girl, girl meets boy, girl meets boy story. It's a rom-com with a good premise and some pretty funny scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErjP5xMTc8I
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #2): 90-81

Post by Buscemi »

Just a tiny nitpick but it was Klaus Badelt that did the music for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl with Hans Zimmer only doing additional music. Zimmer was the main composer on the sequels.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'll do a round up of my impressions of 100-91 today. You guys didn't think you'd get off that lightly, did you?

Shrykespeare: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - No, no, no, no, no. I went to see this after the somewhat positive reviews. And while I agree that Jack Sparrow is an amusing character, he is the only positive element in the 2+ hour film. So one fun one-dimensional character just isn't enough to make me ever want to watch it again. The action is average, and usually very derivative, Geoffrey Rush hams it up, Orlando Bloom is a soggy plank of a performer, and Knightley and Davenport are standard at best. It's because of films like this that Iron Man was such a shock when I realised it was good!

silversurfer: Touch Of Evil (1958) – Here's a fun and pointless story about Welles and this film: he wore a sort of fat suit for the film as he wasn't big enough at the time. After wrapping he went to a part but remained in the fat suit, only to have back-slapping but devious Hollywood execs compliment him on how much weight he had lost. Anyway, I adore this so-called last of the film noirs. Welles dominates the screen, but it's the energy of the direction that hikes it above other solid noirs. Amazing stuff and another shame as Welles never got to see his cut realised.

thegreenarrow: Watership Down (1978) – Bloody disturbing, if just not bloody. It probably traumatised every child who saw it, but in a way I now appreciate it. It portrayed nature as violent, and not the usual santised Disney visions. OF course, it's all metaphorical for human society, but the films works on many levels.

transformers: The Fifth Element (1997) - After loving Leon this was a bit disappointing for me. Besson's view is merely a camp version of Blade Runner's 2019. And man does Besson camp it up. Every time Tucker's character opened his mouth I wanted to leave the cinema. And Oldman is an even further parody of his villian in Leon. And what the hell is UK trip-hop artist Tricky doing in it??? So no, a little too mad and flamboyant for me.

englishozzy: Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) - Haven't seen it, heard it wasn't worth it.

Ron Burgundy: The Hangover (2009) - Completely over-rated in my humble opinion. A lot of predictable jokes, some poor directing decisions (what's with tose MTV-style inserts?), and overall not great. There are some funny moments, such as the tazering scene in the police station/classroom, but just not enough for me to want to watch again.

Buscemi: The Hidden Fortress (1958) - I have to say that of all the Kurosawa films I've seen (though I've only seen 8 in total) this is by far the worst. While most of his films are usually character based or else at least socially-aware, I found this to be his frivolous, throwaway adventure film. And having seen plenty of these made before and after it just failed to blow me away. I guess I didn't really care for the characters, even the great Toshiro Mifune. Give me Yojimbo over this any day.

Chienfantome: The Killing Fields (1984) – A beautiful film that almost made my list. A truly upsetting film that manages to portray a horrific period in history but diulte that by just the right amount by adding the story of friendship between Pran and Schanberg. A beautiful film with a deeply moving ending.

Banks: Taxi Driver (1976) - They just don't make films like this anymore. It's just such a unique, risqué idea for a film, taking in strange and diverse references from Hitchcock to Cassavetes to John Ford, and setting it inside the diseased mind of Bickle. Brilliant stuff.

BarcaRulz: Trainspotting (1996) - The second coolest film of the 90's, without doubt (The coolest is coming up in my list). I remember when this came out my aunt came over (from England) to pretty much say how horrible it was, promoting drug use, and that we shouldn't be allowed to watch it. I had already read the book so it was kinda too late. Plus, a film where you see dead babies crawling on the ceiling, characters' friends die from the poisonous gasses from kitten shit, and come across people like Begbie, doesn't exactly make me want to explore drug culture. I'd rather listen to the soundtrack.

Geezer: The Mummy (1999) - Can't really criticise much about this. While it's obviously borrowing a lot from Indiana Jones, it is indeed thrilling at times and has some fun action scenes (I love the sequence in the Cairo streets where the Mummy's followers chase a group of explorers. Brilliant stuff). Admittedly rewatchable!

JohnL: Kurt Cobain: About A Son (2008) - I haven't seen it as it looked like just another fan-made film about someone I already know plenty about.

leestu: Fight Club (1999) – In some ways I really like this film, but sometimes it feels like it's style over substance. I also can't help but feel it has failed in some way considering it's about the homosexual undertones of male physicality, yet most people who like think the best things about it are the fight scenes. Still, a brave film.

W: 50 First Dates (2004) - This film is always on TV, and to be honest it's very silly and far too long than it should be. Not good.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - Definately in agreement with you regarding the sequels to this film, they have taken the gloss of a film that stands out so well on its own. 9/10

GreenArrow - Im giving this a 7 purely for the fact that i remember this film giving me nightmares for a week, havent seen it since so the trailer looked vaguely familiar. 7/10

Tranny - Felt like the film was a bit over the top for me and that they didnt really pay much attention to the plot of the story. 5/10

Ron - Have recently watched it for the second time the other day, although the jokes werent as funny this time around it was still an enjoyable film. 7/10

Barca - You seem to be on a role at the moment, excellent film that really showcases Boyle's talent. 10/10

Geezer - Really couldnt stand this movie, Fraser not really helping his cause as being one of my least favourite actors around. 4/10

Leestu - A nice pick and no doubt will be on my own list just a little higher up. 10/10

W - A film that my girlfriend really enjoys, but much like Brendan Fraser, Sandler is an actor that i have never really got his sense of humour. 5/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #90

thegreenarrow - Watership Down (1978) - I remember seeing this film as a kid, and while it didn't give me nightmares, I didn't fully understand it. I read the book in high school and it remains one of my favorite books of all time. I've seen the film a couple of times since then, and I think it's an outstanding adaptation. I would love to see it get remade again someday. (8/10)

transformers - The Fifth Element (1997) - You have excellent taste, son! This is coming up later on my list. (10/10)

englishozzy - Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) - Another excellent pick. Also coming up later. (10/10)

Ron Burgundy - The Hangover (2009) - Very good, funny film. (8/10)

numbersix - Primer (2004)[/b] - A true monument to minimalist sci-fi. A very good story considering the budget. (6/10)

Geezer - The Mummy (1999) - Wow, ANOTHER film from my list! This one will be coming up very soon for me. (10/10)

W - 50 First Dates (2004) - I was actually pleasantly surprised by how touching and sweet this story was. Sandler wasn't as obnoxious as usual, and Barrymore is always adorable (if not always good). Aykroyd and Astin were very good, and even Rob Schneider was more amusing than usual. Good pick. (8/10)

So, with the three films today from my list, that makes FOURTEEN of my 100 that have been picked by others. Considering I only had eight songs on my Top 100 picked by others, that's quite an improvement already! By the time we're done, I fully expect to have half my list overlap other people's.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

No. 90

Shryke
POTC1 - Ehh, it's easily the best of the three, but it still underwhelmed me when I finally saw it.

Tranny
The Fifth Element - Love it. May be one of my favorite sci-fi/futuristic action comedies (like that's a huge list...). It'll be on my list later.

EnglishOzzy
Monsters vs. Aliens - Yeah it was a good animated film, but it seems about on-par with most of Dreamworks lackluster canon. Without B.O.B., this movie is quickly dismissed I think. I did really, really like the action scenes though - especially the battle with the huge robot on the bridge.

RonB
The Hangover - I hadn't laughed as hard at a movie in a loooong time before I watched this. I just wished I would've had the chance to check it out in a crowded theater.

Geez
The Mummy - Didn't feel anything for this movie after watching it. Brendan Fraser is the king of over-acting, and it seemed like it contained replicas of scenes from better movies.

leestu
Fight Club - Great, influential film. Much, much, much later, it'll be on my list.

W.
50 First Dates - I like it, but it pales in comparison to Big Daddy, Anger Management, & Click.

Adding to Netflix:
Primer
Trainspotting
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #89

Shrykespeare

Angel Heart (1987)
– Director: Alan Parker; starring Mickey Rourke, Robert DeNiro, Lisa Bonet and Charlotte Rampling. Probably the darkest movie I’d seen at the time, and the first one that I can remember that had a “twist” ending that I truly didn’t see coming. A much-younger Rourke is terrific as the New York P.I. that is hired by mysterious businessman DeNiro to track down a man who owes him money, but gets in way over his head as bodies start piling up one by one. Terrific cinematography and score, and it is still as delightfully creepy today as it was two decades ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTC9Lt3hiWo

silversurfer

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)
– Director: Sergio Leone; starring Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach. When compiling this list I was surprised to find this was the only Leone western to make the cut (even more surprising was that no Peckinpah western made my top 100 either!). This is another favourite which I remember growing up with, and I remember being heralded to its beginning by Ennio Morricone's iconic score. I would then proceed to scramble and find my own personal poncho (which I had taken upon myself to construct using an old brown blanket and inserting a hole in the middle - genius!) and take my place on the couch while the title sequence played out. While at that age I was fascinated by the brilliant storytelling, fascinating action sequences and classic lines, along with some of the most majestic landscapes I'd ever seen on film, nowadays I love to watch the movie to see how Leone played against conventions, to the point where he literally reinvented the western. Now I know that term is bandied around a lot these days, but Leone really was the master of the craft. He had breathed new life into the now tired genre, adding a touch of style and swagger, and here he really went all out for a truly ambitious project. Add to that some of the greatest characters ever put on film, all of whom are desperate, seething animals in the search of riches, and its understandable why this movie has become so iconic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9etarIaqF1Y

thegreenarrow

Sleeping With The Enemy (1991)
–Director: Joseph Ruben; starring Julia Roberts and Patrick Bergen. Although I can't profess to being a fan of Julia Roberts, and I never will be, this is a guilty pleasure which I grew up with. I love the story of her trying to escape her abusive husband, as well as the attention to detail the filmmaker took into the character's obsessive compulsive husband. There is great tension in it, and adding the concept of escapism is why I love this movie. However, Patrick Bergen's acting is shocking, but nevertheless I can still watch it again and again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bSOc2fUUeg

transformers

The Rundown (2003)
- Director: Peter Berg; starring The Rock, Seann William Scott, Rosario Dawson and Christopher Walken. The Rundown is one of those films that is just a lot of fun. The Rock and Seann William Scott make a dynamite action pairing and Scott is a good comic relief. The storyline is actually pretty engaging too. The Rundown is a fun, exciting and humorous ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FcOx1ck_JY

englishozzy

The Jungle Book (1967)
- Director: Wolfgang Reitherman; starring Phil Harris, Sebastian Cabot, Bruce Reitherman and George Sanders. My parents would overload me with Disney films when I was a little kid, it seemed to be the only thing that would shut me up. This film in particular remains to this day the only one I truly remember all the way through. During the '2nd' classic generation of Disney films, The Jungle Book is truly the standout for me. The unforgettable characters and some of the best Disney songs to be released makes this a memorable visit even if the running length is way too short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ogQ0uge06o

Ron Burgundy

The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948)
- Director: John Huston; starring Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston and Tim Holt. This old gem I had the pleasure of watching just recently, and yep it deserves this number 89 spot. A tale of hope, greed and irony starring Humphrey Bogart (in a role better than Casablanca I’d say) was unforgettable and I do recommend it to all of you who haven’t seen it or older films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTQY3NBJXE4

Buscemi

Koyaanisqatsi (1983)
- Director: Godfrey Reggio; no stars, unless you count the Earth and Philip Glass's music. Ninety minutes of nothing but time-lapse photography and a Philip Glass score. Sounds boring on paper but it's not. It is instead a fascinating view of the world with some kick-ass music accompaning the action. Rather than being purely entertainment, it is an experience of sight and sound that needs to be seen to be believed. Followed by two sequels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirH8PADDgQ

Chienfantome

Platoon (1986)
– Director: Oliver Stone; starring Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Tom Berenger. Funny might not be the best word, but it’s weird to include Platoon in this list just after (or before) The Killing Fields. After the Cambodian genocide, here comes the Vietnam War. I love war films. There are a few in my list. I think the context of war sets fascinating basis for a film. I discovered Stone’s Platoon rather late, only 6 or 7 years ago. I am not a fan of Stone, in fact there are films of his I really, really do not like (World Trade Center, I’m looking at you right now!), but weirdly, two of his films are in my Top 100. The director managed, with Platoon, to go beyond just another film about Vietnam. He brought gravitas to it, he brought lyricism. And in the end, the bitterness conquers all, like all great war films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPi8EQzJ2Bg

numbersix

Aliens (1986)
- Director: James Cameron; starring Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen and Paul Reiser. The aliens terrified me as a child. I didn’t see the original for a long time after it but this was my introduction into those sublimely scary creatures. Cameron took Scott’s sense of claustrophobia and expanded it into something even more horrifying: multiple aliens. His set design is astounding, and his adaptation of motion trackers makes for a brilliant device to drive tension through the rough. The scene where the marines are trapped in a room and the surrounding blips get closer has to be one of cinema’s greatest. Cameron also deserves kudos for developing the character of Ripley from survivor to fighter, and moulding a tough female role-model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvw-yhfeBek

Banks

Casino Royale (2006)
- Director: Marc Campbell; starring Daniel Craig and Eva Green. This was my introduction to the James Bond canon, and holy hell – what a way to start. The sprinting parkour through a construction site, handheld cameras in all their shaking glory, and a steely James Bond stalking and chasing his prey like a blue-eyed Predator – this was not a Bond with invisible cars and drinking shaken martinis while bagging models. When asked whether he wants his martini shaken or stirred, Craig snarls “Do I look like I give a damn? “. He doesn’t have time for drink requests, he’s too busy being a full blown badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl5WHj0bZ2Q

BarcaRulz

Grosse Point Blank (1997)
- Director: George Armitage; starring John Cusack, Minnie Driver, Dan Aykroyd, Alan Arkin, Hank Azaria and Joan Cusack. This is some of the most fun I’ve had watching a movie. A who’s who of likable actors doing their best to out-perform each other with the backdrop a great story that is a comedic minefield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ7AXKWmWOg

Geezer

Juno (2007)
- Director: Jason Reitman; starring: Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jason Bateman, J.K. Simmons and Jennifer Garner. I just love the story. I don't care about the “super-hip language” or “implausibility.” Screw that stuff. Juno is a likable girl who is handed a pretty shitty situation and handles it the best she can. Its a good script and the cast handled it about as good as they possibly could. A sweet little love story to go along with it and e have a hell of a teen coming of age film, that I can watch over and over and over again and never get tired. Fantastic film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0SKf0K3bxg

JohnL

Zombieland (2009)
- Director: Stephen Fleischer; starring Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin. (Little Rock) "So, do you have any regrets?" (Bill Murray) "Garfield, maybe." A Zombie movie that showed the lighter, funnier side of the apocalypse, with killer special effects and witty dialogue. Plus, Woody Harrelson is a total bad ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8faZ9LRors

leestu

Jesus de Montreal (1989)
– Director: Denys Arcand; starring Lothaire Bluteau, Catherine Wilkening, and Johanne-Marie Tremblay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXqJyR67Uis

W

Rush Hour (1998)
- Director: Brett Ratner; starring Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker and Tom Wilkinson. The back and forth between Tucker and Chan is some of the best out there. Chris Tucker is hilarious as usual and Jackie uses his patented comedic and action chops. The film is a pretty good canvas for both of the stars to work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs_6Psn1XK0

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Okay I'll try and explain why I like Jesus of Montreal. It's a fascinating look at the staging of a Passion play in a new and unique way, where the production and set up of the play starts to mirror the actual story of the play. I have always been fascinated by religion and my take on this movie is that it is saying something about the inability of religious institutions to adapt and modify itself for modern times. Also when I was younger I used to try out for all the school productions, and was cast in a few, so I have an interest and fondness for movies based on plays (such as Cat on A Hot Tin Roof, and a few others coming up) or movies about playwrights, actors, or putting on productions (such as this one). Most of the school plays I was in were musicals so that also probably contributes to my love of musicals, as there are a few of those that made my list, But they have to be good - don't expect to find Grease or Mamma Mia. :lol:

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

So we should expect Purple Rain on your list?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Ron - A underated film that is rarely talked about, not normally a fan of Bogart but was really impressed with his performance and this film. 9/10

Chien - Obviously with it being on my list yesterday you know my opinion on this film :) 9/10

Six - A film that took me a while to pluck up the courage in watching after watching Alien but it was worth the wait. 8/10

Banks - Have always been a fan of Bond and although Connery will always be the suave agent in my eyes, Craig puts in a brilliant performance along with a good script just when the franchise needed a kick up the ass. 9/10

Geezer - Took me a couple of viewings to fully appreciate this film with the quirky script and lingo but really enjoyed this film. 8/10

JohnL - Funny film but nothing really special about it. 7/10

W - Always been a guilty pleasure of mine, the pairing of Chan and Tucker is what makes this movie so funny, shame about the sequels. 9/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

What are you talking about "a shame about the sequels?" (Rush Hour) The second one has Chris Tucker at the craps table and him doing "Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough."
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare: Angel Heart (1987) – #I've heard so much about this movie (though I've still managed to avoid the twist, whatever it is. I just have to say that I'm dying to see it. Definitely on the top of my list of films to watch next.

silversurfer: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966) – I watched this after the two Once Upon a Times, and after A Few Dollars More, and to be honest I was underwhelmed. There are many things to like, such as the score, the visuals, the editing. But ultimately it just felt like a well-made action movie about three rather unlikable character. I do appreciate the the film referenced American history, but it's definitely in the background. Give me the brilliance of Claudia Cardinale's character in Once Upon a Time in the West any day over this. It's good, but not the classic people say it is. Sadly, no Peckinpah film made my Top 100 either, but The Wild Bunch came close.

thegreenarrow: Sleeping With The Enemy (1991) – This is on TV so often that I regard it as a TV-movie. Not a very good movie, I have to say. Bergin's character is a bit too ridiculous, and overall it's very humdrum.

transformers: The Rundown (2003) - Strange, it's called Welcome to the Jungle over here. You'd think the Guns N Roses reference would work better in the US, but I guess not. Not my kind of film, but I will say that from what i've seen of this it did make me realise that The Rock has a charm to him. I just wish he'd stop doing kiddie films and focus more on the Schwarzenegger-stlye action films, becuse he really is the closest to becoming the new Arnie.

englishozzy: The Jungle Book (1967) - Absolutely adored this as a kid, and can even remember some of the songs. Haven't thought about it much since, though.

Ron Burgundy: The Treasure of Sierra Madre (1948) - I got that bloody Facebook App where you can tick off the films in IMDB's Top 250 and see what's left. Out of the 23 films I haven't seen, this is one of them. Not that interested though, as I believe it's an adventure film (just don't see the point of watching them when they usually date badly), but maybe if I'm bored and it's on TV....

Buscemi: Koyaanisqatsi (1983) - I've always been tempted by the box set of this and Powaqqatsi. I have Baraka on DVD (by the same cinematographer, who built his own 65mm camera for the film. Anyway, the best way to describe these films are as coffee-table material. They're mostly to show off to other people how cultured you are. That's not to say we can't enjoy them, but there's something about a constant stream of abstract visuals.... who amongst us actually ever said to themselves that they're inthe mood for such a film? Anyway, despite my snide remarks I am curious to see this, as I did enjoy Baraka to some extent.

Chienfantome: Platoon (1986) – I don't think this is a bad film, I just don't think it's one of the best Vietnam (or any war) films I've ever seen. I think Stone can be excessive in his directing, and it's already evident in Platoon. That scene with Elias and Adagio for Strings... it's so OTT that it rings a little hollow for me. Like most of the movie. But I still think it has decent moments, and it does deal with the different issue of corruption within the platoon.

Banks: Casino Royale (2006) - I'm in two minds about this. In one way it feels pointless to even try and make Bond more gritty and realistic. He's just too much of a caricature. And what we get is a somewhat boring villain that makes the film a little flat. But in another way, it does breathe life into Bond, and that openign chase sequence is incredibly impressive. Plus, the whole Eva Green story was well done. So I don't know, I guess I enjoyed it, but not enough to make me seek out The Quantum of Solace.

BarcaRulz: Grosse Point Blank (1997) - Haven't seen it in a few years but I loved it after the last viewing. It's hip, fun, and very easy to like. I guess it's Cusack's tendency to play regular guys that makes it all the more impressive to see him as a kick-ass hitman. It's also a good balance of fun but it doesn't get so silly that your brain shuts down. Great soundtrack too; I can't help but think of the school corridor fight scene whenever I hear The Beat's 'Mirror in the Bathroom'.

Geezer: Juno (2007) - Sorry, Dude, but I watched this again on TV and my opinion changed from not liking it much to hating it. It's the script that gets me. Everyone talks the exact same, in what I like to call Dawson's Creek Syndrome: proof of poor writing. The dialogue is just so self-consciously hip, as if every moment it trying to show off how cool it is. I don't like hipsters and this is the ultimate hipster film. I do like most of the cast, and Ellen Page does make the best of the script, but I just can't stand it whenever anyone opens their mouth.

JohnL: Zombieland (2009) - Didn't think I'd like this, so skipped it when it was in the cinemas. Then I watched it a few weeks later and was kicking myself. Eisenberg's performance is a bit off at times, but besides that it's a very entertaining film. That Bill Murray cameo is hilarious.

leestu: Jesus de Montreal (1989) – I've heard about it, but never knew what it was about. It does sound interesting, though.

W: Rush Hour (1998) - Think I've tried to watch this but I don't like Tucker and Chan's antics have never held my attention for any more than a few seconds.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Catching up a little...

Shrykespeare: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - I remember the first time we saw this was when we were on holiday in Thailand. It was actually the first holiday Helena and I had been on together. While we were in Bangkok we wanted to see a movie, and the picks were either this or Bad Boys 2. Despite being a fan of Depp, Helena wasn't too sure on this, but I convinced her we should give it a go, even if it was a movie based on a theme park ride. However, we were left more than pleasantly surprised. Yes it has it's flaws, some of which six pointed out, but overall it was so much fun I bypassed them. Depp is brilliant, I thoroughly enjoyed Geoffrey Rush and it has a cracking script. Your best pick so far. (8/10)

thegreenarrow: Watership Down (1978) – Brilliant movie and a fantastic damnation of society. I remember being truly terrfied by the general rabbit as a child, the blood streaming from his mouth after he had just murdered another rabbit. Frightening beyond belief, but all the better for it. If any of you liked it, I urge you to seek out the director's other effort, Plague Dogs, a movie which almost reaches Waterships' high points. (9/10)

transformers: The Fifth Element (1997) - Another movie which is always a delight to watch, fantastically over the top sci fi with some iconic characters and brilliant action scenes. (8/10)

englishozzy: Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) - Completely underwhelming, and further proof that despite some assertions, Dreamworks still doesn't come close to even the lesser Pixar movies. A couple of funny scenes don't hide the utter forgettable-ness of the whole affair, the action scenes hold nothing on The Incredibles, the monsters nothing on Monsters Inc. Where as Pixar have made their name with great stories, Dreamworks always seem to rely on pop culture references and star power actors. However, using such actors, you lose the opportunity to become engrossed in each character, and instead just hear the actors. Granted I haven't seen How To Train Your Dragon yet, but unless that took a great sweeping u-turn from the previous Dreamworks efforts, then I guess Kung Fu Panda is the closest they have come to Pixar's ability, and even that is in the lower echelons of their catalogue. (5/10)

Ron Burgundy: The Hangover (2009) - I think sometimes audiences just want a movie to come out of nowhere and steal the summer, this was the movie last year. The movie was nothing particularly special when we finally saw it a few months ago, very obvious plot, stereotypical characters which we have seen over and over again, and jokes not quite as funny as they think they are. It was an easy watch, but I haven't got a desire to ever watch it again. (6/10)

Buscemi: The Hidden Fortress (1958) - The first Kurosawa film I had ever seen, so ultimately it holds a place in my heart, but really it doesn't quite hold the punch of some of his other works. It's a fun adventure movie with Mifune is classic form as per usual, with some awesome set pieces and brilliantly entertaining, but after watching it I knew I had to seek out more of his work, as the potential was there but not quite the realisation yet. (7.5/10)

Chienfantome: The Killing Fields (1984) – I've been meaning to watch this for years and must really get round to it as soon as possible. (N/A)

numbersix: Primer (2004) - Ditto with this. (N/A)

Banks: Taxi Driver (1976) - Maybe I need to watch this another time, as although I understand it's power and the impact it has had on modern cinema, I just haven't ever really been won over by it quite so much as I perhaps should be from my two viewings. I've got it on dvd so I'll give it another go one of these days. From what I do remember clearly though, De Niro was brilliant in it, and the pace of the movie, along with the music, is executed perfectly. (8/10)

BarcaRulz: Trainspotting (1996) - I remember first hearing about this movie back when it was released and trying to comprehend how a movie about trainspotting could be so highly regarded. I was obviously too young to see it at the cinema so I had to wait until it was released on DVD to fully capture the power of this brilliant piece of cinema. Most certainly one of Boyle's best works. (10/10)

Geezer: The Mummy (1999) - Despite the sequel's failings, this was a joy to watch when I first saw it at the cinema, so much so I watched it twice. Great fun, much in the mould of the Indiana Jones movies, and Brenda Fraser proved why, despite his actual talent for acting, he is a joy to watch. (7/10)

JohnL: Kurt Cobain: About A Son (2008) - I can't say I've seen it, but if it's ever on tv I'll check it out. (N/A)

leestu: Fight Club (1999) – Great movie, brilliant acting and certainly one of Fincher's absolute best. The twist at the end was brilliant too. As six mentioned, it may be a little style over substance, but when it is achieve with that much style, it's hard to complain. Fantastic pick (10/10)

W: 50 First Dates (2004) - Certainly not one of Sandler's worst movies, though not one of Barrymore's best. A watchable, well one time watchable, movie, but I remember it being seriously overlong too. (5/10)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #89

silversurfer - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966) – When I hear the words "spaghetti western", this is the film that I think of. Hell, when I hear the word "western", this is pretty much what I think of. Great story, great music. Thanks to my late friend and ex-roommate Larry, I've seen this many times. (7/10)

transformers - The Rundown (2003) - It was okay, but not that memorable for me. (6/10)

englishozzy - The Jungle Book (1967) - Well, THIS is a blast from the past! I saw the movie dozens of times as a kid, even bought the LP and played it on my little plastic turntable! I remember all the songs too: Louis Prima as King Louie's "I Wanna Be Like You", Baloo's "Bare Necessities", The Elephant March. Such great villains, too, in Kaa the Snake and Shere Khan the Tiger. (7/10)

numbersix - Aliens (1986) - Great, great film. The ending fight between Ripley and the Queen is one of my all time faves. Just a kick-ass action movie. Coming up later for me. (10/10)

Banks - Casino Royale (2006) - This was a great way to reboot a flagging franchise. Terrific action, terrific choice in Craig. And any movie that involves Texas Hold' Em is elevated in my mind. (9/10)

JohnL - Zombieland (2009) - I loved the Bill Murray cameo, but I'm just not a fan of zombie movies in general. (5/10)

W - Rush Hour (1998) - I still don't understand why Chris Tucker's entire career for the last decade-plus has consisted of Rush Hour movies and nothing else. That being said, this was a terrific buddy-cop action-comedy. (8/10)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I was told that Tucker became a born again Christian and won't cuss, do drugs, or violence in his films anymore, but everyone wants him to do something in the vein of Smokey or his character from Money Talks.

Or maybe he just wants to live a peaceful existence. I'm sure he's had tons of offers.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.