Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #1): 100-91

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #1): 100-91

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, folks. It begins.

At the moment, we have fourteen participants, not including Geezer's brother, who Geez assures me will be joining us tomorrow night (by proxy, I assume), he just doesn't have his list ready just yet.

If memory serves, we started the music countdown with thirteen, then eventually grew to eighteen. Since this is a movie message board (primarily), who knows how many we'll have on our band, erm, moviewagon by Oscar time!

As I said before, I will not be embedding the YouTube videos this time around... if you want to watch the trailers/clips, you'll just have to click on the link. Except this one:

Let's keep the next four months' discussions civil, let's broaden our minds, and let's have a big old ball doing it. So without any further ado:

MOVIE #100

Shrykespeare

The Fugitive (1993) – Director: Andrew Davis; starring Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones and Joe Pantoliano. Jones’ Oscar-winning performance as U.S. Marshal Sam Gerard was exemplary, being obsessively professional and yet with a wry humor and charm that you couldn’t help but like. Don’t agree with me? “I don’t care!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjdzXnrGuvQ

silversurfer

Giant (1956)
– Director: George Stevens; starring Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and James Dean. Giant is one of those movies which really can be regarded as “epic” in every way of thinking. I remember first watching this over 20 years ago, and I'd see it every so often on TV on Sunday afternoons after that. I eventually picked up the DVD a couple of years ago, and it reintroduced just how fantastic this movie is. Featuring powerhouse performances from Taylor and Hudson, and from what I consider James Dean's (short lived) career highpoint (although I thoroughly enjoyed his acting in both Rebel and East of Eden). While I know some people who find it a little bloated, and at 3 hours it is somehow understandable, but honestly I never get bored during its run time, with brilliant sweeping landscapes and a riveting narrative. It's a fascinating study of Texan life and the search for the American Dream. We probably won't ever see a movie like this again, and to be honest, that's a shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMG_ipol-MI

thegreenarrow

Chocolat (2000)
– Director: Lasse Hallstrom; starring Juliet Binoche, Johnny Depp, Judi Dench and Alfred Molina. I don't think I need to say anything more than if a movie has chocolate in it I will probably love it. The feel and atmosphere is what grabs me most about this movie, it just has that setting that I really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEzzbBc7Tw4

transformers

Layer Cake (2004)
- Director: Matthew Vaughn; starring Daniel Craig, Sienna Miller and Michael Gambon. Layer Cake is a really slick and well-made crime thriller. The entire movie is thrilling, complex and very Guy Ritchie-esque, which I really liked. Daniel Craig gives a hell of a performance, and I am a firm believer that he got the role of James Bond because of this film. Highly underrated crime drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5R4iepdXqo

englishozzy

Superbad (2007)
- Director: Greg Mottola; starring Jonah Hill, Michael Cera and Christopher Mintz-Plasse. Rolling off the success of 40-Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up, Seth Rogen shows his writing credentials in this hilarious take on your coming-of-age comedy. Brilliant casting which catapults its three stars into stardom and creates a new craze (McLovin!). I found this film to give a unique twist and edge to a genre
that can all too often fall flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvAOSWHV-HE

Ron Burgundy

Food, Inc. (2008)
- Director: Robert Kenner. Food, Inc. is the first of two docs that made my list. It made me angry, sick and sad all at the same time, which is what a good documentary should do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKYyD14d_0

Buscemi

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
- Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester and Douglas Rain. This epic spectacle of visual effects and color has been called "the ultimate trip"; I see it as a fine example of science fiction filmmaking. Though it takes a few viewings to fully understand (I needed two viewings just to like it), you'll see what Kubrick was intending and in the process, you will see one of the most beautiful and meaningful sci-fi journeys of all-time. Also, HAL 9000 proves you don't need to be a living being to be a scary villain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU4TQ1NTo50

Chienfantome

Pineapple Express (2008)
– Director: David Gordon Green; starring Seth Rogen, James Franco and Danny McBride. As weird as it can sound, Pineapple Express is, for me, the best American comedy I saw in theatres those past five years. I really did not know what to expect of a stoner comedy directed by David Gordon Green, a filmmaker that really caught my eye in the indie land, and who got this job of putting Franco, Rogen and McBride in this absolutely irresistible buddy movie. Not only did it make me laugh non-stop, but I found it to be a fantastic film about the unexpected friendships. (oh yeah, Danny McBride is scandalously hilarious in here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBSg5HOpXgs

numbersix

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
- Director: George Romero; starring Ken Foree, David Emge and Gaylen Ross. An appropriate choice given the time of year. It’s rare to see a sequel that improves on the original, but Romero’s follow-up to Night of the Living Dead is an ingenious horror film. I’ve always liked zombie movies. Their nightmare scenarios enabled us to glimpse morality outside of law, and show the good and evil in people. This film is set in a shopping mall, and in the video I liked to, Romero cleverly links the brainless monsters to mass-consumerism, inviting us to examine and redefine our lives (and also the idea that an African-American can be the hero, which was rare in those days outside of the pigeon-holed blaxploitation subgenre). It’s not often a horror movie tries to do that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Su_9nk5ua8

Banks

Me, Myself, and Irene (2000)
- Director: The Farrelly Brothers; starring Jim Carrey, Renee Zellweger, and Chris Cooper. One of Jim Carrey’s finest hours, he totally lets loose as a schizophrenic state trooper on the run with a female prisoner with a legendary squinty face. When he first transitions into Hank…still gets me rolling every time. The best Farrelly Brothers movie, hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G7PgMdirio

BarcaRulz

Dawn of the Dead (2004)
- Director: Zack Snyder; starring Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Jake Weber, Ty Burrell, Michael Kelly and Mekhi Phifer. As a huge fan of the zombie genre, I was skeptical when it was first announced they were remaking a classic, and to be totally honest the last thing I expected was to like it this much. Not only did it do justice to the original, it even surpassed it in most ways too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUzJAsa-gg

Geezer

A Knight's Tale (2001)
- Director: Brian Hegeland; starring Heath Ledger, Shannyn Sossamon, Paul Bettany and Rufus Sewell. The film that made me fall in love with Heath Ledger, with a fantastic performance by Paul Bettany as well. Damn we lost Heath WAY TOO SOON.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH6U5y086hw

leestu

Amelie ( 2001)
– Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet; starring Audrey Tautou and Mathieu Kassovitz. (Moderator's note: leestu sends his apologies about not adding commentary, but for now, his work schedule doesn't allow him enough time to provide any.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G7CkdZoEK4

W

Mom and Dad Save the World (1992)
- Director: Greg Beeman, Starring: Jeffrey Jones, Jon Lovitz and Terri Garr. Who knew aliens were super dorky and super stupid? Who better to play an emperor of idiots than Jon Lovitz? Mom and Dad Save the World is one of those stupid 90's comedies that I can never seem to turn off once caught in its grip. I think everyone knows at least one person that would pick up a light grenade link).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeD2gF9jUo
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Opinions on most:

The Fugitive: perhaps one of the most unlikely Oscar movies, it is a good crowd pleaser. And Tommy Lee Jones deserved his Oscar (sure he was facing Ralph Fiennes but this was Jones's breakout role). Just recently got the DVD for $3.99 at TJ Maxx.

Giant: we lost James Dean way too soon. Dean and Rock Hudson probably gave their finest performances here.

Chocolat: it didn't deserve its Best Picture nomination but it was a good romantic comedy. I also have this on DVD.

Layer Cake: proves that Matthew Vaughn is probably a better director than his mentor Guy Ritchie (Stardust and Kick-Ass proved he can more than one type of movie). Daniel Craig also shows off his action skills in a pre-James Bond role. Have it on DVD.

Superbad: one of my favorite films of 2007 (but not my favorite Apatow production that year, I give that to Walk Hard). I liked that it was more than a high school movie but more of a journey movie (like the ones we used to see in the 1980's). Too bad most of the people involved have failed to follow up with anything as good (the exceptions being Apatow and Seth Rogen).

Food, Inc.: it's a good documentary but I've seen greater expose documentaries.

Pineapple Express: a good if not as entertaining follow-up to Superbad. James Franco and Danny McBride are very good in their breakout roles and Seth Rogen is a good straight man. A good film to shut off your brain to. By the way, I'm still waiting for Green, Franco and McBride's follow-up Your Highness. I don't know why Universal has been so quiet about it (especially since it's testing better than most of their other forthcoming movies).

Me, Myself and Irene: another good outlet for Jim Carrey to show off his manic energy and vast ability. However, I like Dumb and Dumber more.

Dawn of the Dead (2004): good remake to a great movie. I give most of the credit to the cast and writing (what other horror film can you name that had James Gunn, Scott Frank and Michael Tolkin as writers?).

A Knight's Tale: I hated this movie. The only good thing in it was Paul Bettany.

Mom and Dad Save The World: Oh God, this was bad. And I wonder how Jerry Goldsmith got suckered in to do the music.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Kind of funny that, on opening day, we have both a classic horror film AND its remake, huh?

Sadly, none of these films really blows my skirt up.

Superbad had its moments, but it's not really something I crave seeing again. I will admit that "McLovin" was a pretty cool filmic creation. I absolutely hated Pineapple Express.

I've seen 2001 a few times, and I think it's a tremendous story until the last half hour, when the acid trip really takes over. After that, it just goes flat for me.

A Knight's Tale is just okay for me.

Didn't like Me, Myself and Irene at all.

Haven't seen enough of the others to form an opinion, though I have been meaning to check out Layer Cake.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

And we're off... Not gonna be able to make any longwinded posts as I am in the process of moving house at the moment, but will give my quick opinion and my IMDB rating of the movie (if applicable) so I can average out each list at the end.

Shrykespeare - The Fugitive (1993): And you're off to a good start. The Fugitive is highly entertaining, while at the same time not compromising story/script to be so. Great performances by most of the cast as well. 8/10.

silversurfer - Giant (1956): Have had a couple of chances to see it, but have yet to do so. NA/10.

thegreenarrow - Chocolat (2000): Great movie by a great director, with excellent acting. Very much more than a romcom as boosh has described it. Also, I blame this movie for my chocolate binging. 8/10.

transformers - Layer Cake (2004): On my shortlist, but did not make it. Really love the genre, so i'm happy it made someones list. Unlike boosh though I prefer Guy Ritchie atm, but it's getting close. 9/10.

englishozzy - Superbad (2007): The cast really made this movie better than it would have otherwise been. Very entertaining, and quotable too. 8/10.

Ron Burgundy - Food, Inc (2008): I enjoyed it, and it was certainly informative, but I just didn't think it was captivating enough to be one of the 'best' anything to be honest. I gave it a 7/10, which I think is a little flattering too.

Buscemi - 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968): I fucking hate this movie. Everytime I try to discuss how bad I think it is with someone all I get is "you just hate Kubrick" which I don't, and then once they hear that they just inevitably bring out the 'you just don't get it then'. I got it fine thanks, I also got that it is one of the most pompous and boring things I've ever seen. 3/10 (and that's only because I enjoyed HAL).

Chienfantome - Pineapple Express (2008): Definitely fun, but it did lag a bit in a few places which made it drop some points with me. 7/10.

numbersix - Dawn of the Dead (1978): Absolutely love this film. Had it on my not-so-short-shortlist but did not want to give 'the same movie' two spots in my list and went with the first one which I thought was actually a little better. 9/10.

Banks - Me, Myself, and Irene (2000): Another enjoyable movie that lost some points with me for lagging in bits. Jim Carrey was awesome in this. 7/10.

Geezer - A Knight's Tale (2001): Really did not expect to see this on anyones list. It's not bad, but I never found someone who was very opinionated about this movie as most of them say it was OK, and I agree. 6/10.

leestu - Amelie ( 2001): Another movie from my shortlist. Was unfortunately one of the last ones to be cut to make room. Great movie, with excellent acting and breathtaking cinematography. 9/10.

W - Mom and Dad Save the World (1992): Have not seen it. NA/10.

RUNNING AVERAGES
Shryke - 8/10 (1 title)
ss - NA (0 titles)
thegreenarrow - 8/10 (1 title)
tranny - 9/10 (1 title)
englishozzy - 8/10 (1 title)
RonB - 7/10 (1 title)
Boosh - 3/10 (1 title)
Chienfantome - 7/10 (1 title)
numbersix - 9/10 (1 title)
Banks - 7/10 (1 title)
Geez - 6/10 (1 title)
leestu - 9/10 (1 title)
W - NA (0 titles)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ah... here we go. I was getting withdrawal symptoms after the music countdown.

Shrykespeare: The Fugitive (1993) – An entertaining film, I certainly can't deny that. When I was a young teen I must have watched this film a couple of dozens of times. I do disagree about your comment on Tommy Lee Jones's character, though. He's pretty obnoxious, but it works in this film because he's proven wrong. Was this Harrison Ford's last good movie?

silversurfer: Giant (1956) – I have to confess I haven't seen this. You see, I pretty much think Dean was over-rated. He never commanded the screen the same way Brando did. He just came across as odd and mumbly. I'm sure in time he could have been a great actor but we'll never know. So I've never been interested in Giant, and watching the trailer didn't inspire me either. But it's usually on TV during the Christmas holidays so I'll give it a go.

thegreenarrow: Chocolat (2000) – Another film I haven't seen, mostly because hardly any of my friends thinks it's that good. Again, might give it a viewing if it's on TV

transformers: Layer Cake (2004) - It is slick, I'll give you that. I don't see the Guy Ritchie connection because it lacks the tiresome Cockney sarcasm that Ritchie insists in putting in every scene of his films, so I actually prefer this a little. It's still yet another tale of a criminal trying to go legit, though, and it doesn't feel special enough.

englishozzy: Superbad (2007) - I got a review of this published in a book. An actual book. Only, it's a book of 4 word film reviews. I still feel the same about the film ("Not super, not bad"). It's an above average teen comedy with some amusing moments. At times it goes too far into silly (the two stoner cops), but there's a bit of that trademark Judd Apatow honesty that elevates it above a typical American Pie clone. Certainly not a Top 100 flick for me.

Ron Burgundy: Food, Inc. (2008) - I have it on my laptop, and I really want to watch this. I have friends who spend their days posting Facebook links to videos on how eating meat and fish are evil, so I'd like the get stuck into what I believe is a balanced doc on the subject.

Buscemi: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - A great pic, Boosch. And yes, it's certainly more than a trippy film, even though it gained its cult status that way. I love this movie as you just don't get American cinema like this. It's incredibly risque, and all the more likeable for it. I would like to know your thoughts on what you understand it to be. Personally, I feel it's about evolution but ultimately it portrays humanity to be part of an ongoing process, and the only way for life to evolve is for humanity to die. Funnily enough, watching AI made me think I was right, as if Kubrick was extending this idea.

Chienfantome: Pineapple Express (2008) – Oh dear, Chien, oh dear. One of the worst picks of the bunch for me. Never have I not laughed so much during a supposed comedy. I'm sorry, but stoned jokes are such a cliche that a movie full of them just doesn't work. Not to mention there's hardly any jokes for the first 2 minutes. Admittedly, it gets amusing during the middle section, but that's all ruined by the last 30 minutes which just turns into a dumb-ass action movie with again little-to-no jokes.

Banks: Me, Myself, and Irene (2000) - I'd put There's Something About Mary and Dumb and Dumber above this, but it's okay. I don't think I'd ever rewatch it.

BarcaRulz: Dawn of the Dead (2004) - For me, the original is way better. However, I did enjoy this. Running zombies are a scary thing, and Snyder does build up the tension well. The bit where they try to rescue the guy in the gun shop is really well done. But the original is way better at the deeper sense of looming death, as well as depicting character tension. The remake is mroe action focused and pretty much everyone gets along in the end, which comes across as a bit phoney.

Geezer: A Knight's Tale (2001) - I had somewhat of a crush on Sossamon for a while, so points to you for that! I've onyl seen bits and pieces of this so can't really comment.

leestu: Amelie ( 2001) – A beautiful film about the beauty of imagination and the quest to interact with the world without losing it. Love it.

W: Mom and Dad Save the World (1992) - What a bizarre choice for a Top 100 movie. It feels like a lot of 90's movies indeed, including Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, etc. That scene you linked to was kinda funny, but seriously?

Bousch and Leetsu win this round, hands down.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - Loved this film the first few times in seeing it, but has probably lost a bit of its gloss for me now. Still pretty good though. 7/10

Surfer - Haven't seen this film before, which is surprising given the amount of Western's my Grandad made me watch when i was growing up. N/A

greenarrow - Have only ever catched glimpses of this film and never really watched it through its entirety. It wouldnt be fair for me to rate this film. N/A

tranny - Love this film. I am in agreement with you that Matthew Vaughan is fast becoming one of my favourite Directors. He has managed to show more range than Ritchie, but still this film falls just below par with Snatch and Smoking Barrels. 8/10

Ron - Could never bring myself around to watching this film, if i did i think i would stop eating forever. Will probably stomach it in the future. N/A

buscemi - No doubt a classic but as you will find out later on, there is only one Kubrick film i really like. 6/10

chien - Im with Barca on this one, i did find it funny but there were too many points in the film that just fell flat for a while. 6/10

six - Definately a superior film to Night of the Living Dead in my opinion. Was in contention for my own list but landed just short of the Top 110. 8/10

banks - A nice platform for Carrey to absolutely run wild but some of the jokes fell a bit flat with me. 7/10

barca - A remake that doesn't take the gloss off the original, you dont find many of these around any more. 7/10

geezer - Can honestly say i have seen this film, but with the mixed reviews it has gotten from you all, it has piqued my interest. N/A

leestu - Never really found the appeal to this movie, probably not my style maybe. 5/10

W - Never seen it, the link you had was kinda funny but hasnt really made me want to watch the rest of the movie. N/A
"Then telephone for an axe"

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Oops, I was waiting for this in the General Discussion board, sorry for the delay !

I knew most of you would not share my huge love for "Pineapple Express", but what can I say, the french have a wicked sense of humour ;)

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the films listed as #100 :

Shryke - The Fugitive : A thoroughly enjoyable film, which certainly marked the pick of Ford's popularity. It is vividly entertaining for sure. Nowhere near Top 100 for me, but good film for sure.

Surfer - Giant : Like Six, I must say I never layed my eyes on this one. Probably because this is the kind of film I want to watch on the big screen rather than on TV, but I will definitely check it out one of these days.

Green Arrow - Chocolat : I really don't like this one. I was blatantly surprised by the success and praise this film got. It all feels so fake in every way possible, and boring, and unfunny, and unmoving. Maybe it's because it's supposed to be set in France, I don't know. But I really dislike Chocolat.

transformers - Layer Cake : It was a fun little film to watch. It's a film I saw and thought "Daniel Craig would definitely make a good Bond". Vaughn made much better after that.

ozzy - Superbad : I highly prefer "Pineapple Express", but I laughed out oud in front of this one too.

Ron B - Food Inc : Haven't seen this one, it looked interesting though.

Buscemi - 2001 : One of these days, I'm gonna give Kubrick's film another shot, but the truth is for now, I never really got into 2001. I didn't. I haven't seen it in a while, 7 or 8 years maybe, but the last time, I saw it in a theater and expected to be blown away, which I wasn't.

Six - Dawn of the Dead : Never seen Romero' film, I should one of these days.

Banks - Me, myself and Irene : Not my favourite Farrelly Bros' film, but like almost every Farrelly film, it's a good comedy that goes beyond the gags. Carrey is phenomenal here.

Barca - Dawn of the Dead : like I said, I haven't seen the original, but I've seen this one, and I see it as Snyder's best film to date, but let's precise I am not a fan of anything he's done since.

Geezer - A knight's tale : Never seen it. For Ledger, maybe I will one day.

Leestu - Amelie : Fantastic film leestu. Fantastic. This one will be featured in my Top 100, higher.

W - Mom and Dad save the world : Not only have I never seen this one, but I have never even heard about it !

Leestu, you win this round ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote: Shrykespeare: The Fugitive (1993) – Was this Harrison Ford's last good movie?
Not quite. Clear and Present Danger was an excellent movie, as was Air Force One (my #110). But that was 1997. Since then, he's done a lot of bad stuff, including the awful, unscary What Lies Beneath, the barely passable Firewall, the truly horrible Hollywood Homicide and the don't-wanna-go-there Indiana Jones and the Giant Skull-Shaped MacGuffin. Extraordinary Measures got a just-barely thumbs-up from me, but that's it. (Haven't seen Six Days Seven Nights, Random Hearts, K-19: The Widowmaker or Crossing Over.) I may see Morning Glory on DVD, and am awaiting the first trailer for Cowboys & Aliens.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:
numbersix wrote: Shrykespeare: The Fugitive (1993) – Was this Harrison Ford's last good movie?
Not quite. Clear and Present Danger was an excellent movie, as was Air Force One (my #110). But that was 1997. Since then, he's done a lot of bad stuff, including the awful, unscary What Lies Beneath, the barely passable Firewall, the truly horrible Hollywood Homicide and the don't-wanna-go-there Indiana Jones and the Giant Skull-Shaped MacGuffin. Extraordinary Measures got a just-barely thumbs-up from me, but that's it. (Haven't seen Six Days Seven Nights, Random Hearts, K-19: The Widowmaker or Crossing Over.) I may see Morning Glory on DVD, and am awaiting the first trailer for Cowboys & Aliens.
K19 was surprisingly good, actually (but Crossing Over was unbelievably bad)...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Good to see this start again, I was a little sad the music thing ended, so it's good to have something to replace it with. Let's hope we uncover a few gems, though I guess it will be a little harder as we are going solely off comments and a trailer rather than the entire thing we were presented with on the music countdown. But here goes:

Shrykespeare: The Fugitive (1993) – A decent first pick, I remember having nightmares of the guy with the missing arm after the first time I saw this, he was such a good bad guy. The acting in this is generally superb, you find yourself supporting Ford's character but at the same time Jones' too, and I think that is due to their ability to command their character's, and ultimately I think that makes you sympathetic for both of their causes. (7/10)

silversurfer: Giant (1956) – I'm surprised so few of you have seen this, its been pretty much a staple my whole life. Guess there are going to be quite a scattering of N/A's for my movies going by this round. And yes six, I understand where you are coming from regarding Dean's posthumous reputation, he was pretty much heralded as a god, which of course he was not. But for a guy with so little experience behind the camera he is spellbinding, and he certainly had the charisma to support a movie. It helps he was in consistently good films, and this was his greatest performance for me, so check it out when it's on. I'd disagree with Boussh's comments regarding Elizabeth Taylor though. I believe her finest hour is in another of her movies yet to come...

thegreenarrow: Chocolat (2000) – Understandably I have seen this before, and it is decent, but certainly not one of my favourites. It's one of those movies that I kind of bear with when Helena puts it on, as it's not a movie I really would ever need to watch more than once, although Alfred Molina is great in it as per usual. (6/10)

transformers: Layer Cake (2004) - I finally watched this recently, and to be honest, considering I've become quite a fan of Vaughn's work, this was nothing special for me, and sat with many of the Ritchie style movies quite well. The old yarn of the gangster's one last job is tired, and the ending was more than a little predictable, but it makes up for that with some decent performances from Daniel Craig and Michael Gambon. 5/10

englishozzy: Superbad (2007) - Again, another movie I enjoyed, but it was a one time affair with me, wouldn't be interested in watching it again. To be honest, I'd probably say that about all Apatow films other than 40 Year Old Virgin (which I own), as I just don't think his style suits my rewatchability taste really, they are momentarily funny, but also quite forgettable at the same time. I don't think his movies are going to go down in history as some of the outstanding works in the genre, and rank alongside the Billy Wilder, John Hughes and Ivan Reitman classics. (6/10)

Ron Burgundy: Food, Inc. (2008) - Ugh. I watched a documentary recently regarding a similar subject, and it was basically a propoganda message for raw food and how eating meat is evil. They blatantly disregarded the opposing arguments regarding nutrition and came across a little too one sided and ultimately made me more sure that meat was the way forward. I don't know if this is similar or not, but if they put their argument across in a more balanced environment it would be worth watching. As it is though, I haven't seen it and I'm going to have a bacon sandwich for lunch and a chorizo and pasta meal for tea. (N/A)

Buscemi: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - Absolutely stunning film which I have yet to win Helena over on. She is on the other side of the fence which has been showcased here already, in that she has never actually finished the movie and usually gone to bed before the end. I however, am in love with it, and pretty much everything Kubrick touches. When you look at his filmography it really is one of the strongest I've ever seen. Anyway, I agree with six's theory that it is a movie documenting evolution, and it is presented in such a fascinating way, with iconic scenes and memorable characters. (10/10)

Chienfantome: Pineapple Express (2008) – Wow, did not expect this to come from our notorious Frenchman. Where as Superbad was decent enough, I found this totally forgettable, not really even remotely funny. I must confess that other than a couple of movies (Trainspotting, Fear and loathing) I'm not a fan of stoner movies, and this didn't go any way to changing that opinion. And that last 30 minutes? Come on! Where as Hot Fuzz showed how to end a comedy with a kick ass action sequence which fit with the rest of the movie, this one came out of nowhere and just felt awkwardly attached onto the end in the hope of adding a few more dollars and improving its trailer. It isn't big, and it isn't clever. Shame on you David Gordon Green. (4/10)

numbersix: Dawn Of The Dead (1978) - Great movie, and a fascinating social commentary at the same time. Maybe it's just me, but when I was growing up I kind of avoided many horror movies (of course, I wasn't scared. Honest...), but instead fell in love with comedy horrors and monster/zombie movies such as this. To this day I still love those kind of movies about straight horrors, and this has been a permanant fixture on rotation for many years. Great pick! (10/10)

Banks: Me, Myself, and Irene (2000) - To be honest this was released at a time I was totally over Carrey and Rennee Zellwegger drives me insane with her horrible little face. So obviously I didn't watch it. And even then, I've only ever really found myself enjoying Dumb And Dumber and There's Something About Mary from the Farrelly clan. So I doubt I ever will watch this either. (N/A)

BarcaRulz: Dawn of the Dead (2004) - I remember watching this for the first time with no knowledge at the time to who Zach Snyder was, and predicted it to be yet another awful remake of a classic movie. If was, therefore, pleasantly surprised to find I enjoyed it for the most part, and while it had its faults (a few plotholes, characters not totally believable, unsatisfying ending) it was most certainly watchable. (6/10)

Geezer: A Knight's Tale (2001) - Another movie I haven't gotten around to watching yet, but I would like to see this one day, as I have heard plenty of decent things about it. (N/A)

leestu: Amelie ( 2001) – I won't say too much about this as it is most certainly in my own top 100, but it is a fabulous movie littered with typical Jeunet anecdotes and I have watched it at least 5 times already, and intend to keep watching it for a long time to come. Brilliant pick, just a shame it appeared so low! (10/10)

W: Mom and Dad Save the World (1992) - Well at least this backs up my opinion I raised earlier in that you are most certainly presenting us with your 100 favourite movies which don't require universal approval to find it's way here. But at the same time, and after viewing the clip, I wouldn't think I'd ever be interested in watching the movie. (N/A)

Quite an interesting list of movies for the first round. A handful of awesomeness, a scattering of yikes moments, as well as some movies I'm not familiar with. A good start to the countdown though. Looking forward to every day for the next 4 months or so now!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I said James Dean and Rock Hudson, not Elizabeth Taylor.

And you didn't watch Food, Inc. One of the people interviewed in Food, Inc. is Eric Schlossler and he does eat meat.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Ah, my mistake, misread after you had already commented on Dean. And no it wasn't Food Inc, but it was something similar. Just can't think of the name right now. One of the people commenting on it was big on raw food, he was even wearing a T shirt with the slogan on it. Can't for the life of me remember the name.

Edit: It was called Food Matters.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Well, shit. Color me lost, but I didn't know where the hell this was going on. Sorry guys, its been a busy weekend. I doubt I'll be doing much commenting beyond the occasional "great pick!" but I'm always interested in seeing what people have to say about mine, so its good reading. Glad to have finally figured it out, this is literally the one forum I never check.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I always just check the new posts section, that way you never miss any posts. Yes, I spend far too much time on this site...

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

That said, no real standout great picks this time around, but I will make mention of the two recent comedies. Superbad was on my last installment of the list, but has since fallen off. It has gotten worse with age for me. Pineapple Express on the other hand, has only gotten better with subsequent viewings for me, so a nice, if unexpected pick from the Frenchman.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude