Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #1): 100-91

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #1): 100-91

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #92

Shrykespeare

Fantastic Four (2005)
– Director: Tim Story; starring Jessica Alba, Chris Evans, Ioan Gruffudd and Michael Chiklis. Yeah, I know, FF is generally grouped together with Daredevil and Ghost Rider as the also-rans of the Marvel Universe, but I don’t care. It was terrifically entertaining, with great action, a great supervillain, and significantly less moaning and hand-wringing that plagued the Spider-Man films. It never tried to be more than pure, comic-book, campy entertainment, and it succeeded on all fronts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRSphEIfejA

silversurfer

Robin Hood (1973)
- Director: Wolfgang Reitherman; starring Brian Bedford, Phil Harris and Andy Devine. As I mentioned earlier the fairy tale element of the Disney classics have always stood out for me as my favourites. In addition to that I also grew up with a great fondness of the Robin Hood legend (well, until Costner got his hands on it and almost destroyed my love of the character), so the combination of the two were always going to be a hit for me. The movie has everything, adventure, satire, terrific comedy, fantastic action, the obligatory romance (the rest of the movie always made up for this when I was a kid...), as well as some great voice acting (which admittedly borrowed more than a little from The Jungle Book, but I feel the characters were improved upon in this) and songs. Always a delight to watch, with a thrilling jail break climax, I'm so glad at least some people can make a decent Robin Hood movie, because a damn lot of tried, and as this year proved, even the greatest filmmakers have failed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_1eN90zUG4

thegreenarrow

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
– Director: Tay Garnett; starring Lana Turner and John Garfield. Oozes sex appeal and just classic film noir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi4UaQWN_H8

transformers

Me, Myself and Irene (2000)
- Director: The Farrelly Brothers; starring Jim Carrey, Renee Zelwegger and Chris Cooper. I have always found Me, Myself and Irene to be a highly underrated film. Jim Carrey was the absolute perfect fit to play Charlie/Hank. It allows his physical humor to run free and it is an absolute pleasure to watch. This film is extremely crude, but that is main reason it is so funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G7PgMdirio

englishozzy

Underworld (2003)
- Director: Len Wiseman; starring Kate Beckinsale, Scott Speedman, Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy. I can be a sucker for gothic themes and creature features having grown up idolizing Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and this particular film has to be the best of the bunch. The entire film gives us a stunning visual fest with dark purples and the beautiful architectural designs of Budapest as a backdrop. Not the best plot ever made but Beckinsale's performance as a rogue vampire in love with her sworn enemy makes for a decent horror flick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYyhBtQ1PU

Ron Burgundy

Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995)
– Director: John McTiernan; starring Bruce Willis, Jeremy Irons and Samuel L Jackson. Well, this was the first Die Hard movie that I saw, and I thought John McClane was badass! Who in their right mind would wake up, go into Harlem and wear a sign like that? Lucky for him Zeus was around, and then they go off and play Simon says with a baddie almost as bad as Hans from no. 1. It’s just an awesome rollercoaster action movie. It might have finished higher if the ending was a little better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=866yr_Oj5IA

Buscemi

Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975)
- Director: Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam; starring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle and Terry Jones. The guys from Monty Python do a grand skewering of the King Arthur legend. Need I say more? This is bizarre and may not be for all tastes, but that is why it works so well. It deconstructs the high fantasy genre and creates a strange world that could be a fantasy story of its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDM75-oXGmQ

Chienfantome

Les Patriotes (The Patriots) (1994)
– Director: Eric Rochant; starring Yvan Attal, Sandrine Kiberlain, Hippolyte Girardot, Jean-François Stévenin and Nancy Allen. When you think of French cinema, you don’t necessarily think of espionage. Yet there have been a few French spy movies. I’m not talking about action, but realistic spies. Anonymous spies trying to conciliate their ideals and their lives. The Patriots is one of the best spy films there is. It’s about a French/Jewish young guy leaving for Israel and becoming an agent for the Mossad. It’s a spy movie interested in the human study. It’s a suspense film dealing with romance and politics. It’s one little known but amazing French film. I haven’t found any trailer on YouTube, but I found the French trailer on Dailymotion (sorry, no subtitles…).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa6q6l ... shortfilms

numbersix

Metropolis(1927)
- Director: Fritz Lang; starring Brigitte Helm, Alfred Abel and Gustav Frohlich. This is the oldest film on my list. But as testament to its quality, when I first watched it I had no idea when it was made. Sure it was silent and black-and-white, but it was so engaging and so powerful that it felt like it could have been anytime from the first half of the 19th Century. The effects are still convincing, the sets and art direction astoundingly expressive, and the plot is quite complex, combining issues of our relationship with technology, class conflict, and even male sexuality. I can’t wait to see the extended edition when it’s released on DVD this month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8Ba9rWhUg

Banks

Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
- Director: Paul Thomas Anderson; starring Adam Sandler, Emily Watson and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I admit it – it took a couple of attempts to even get through the entirety of PDL – it starts like it was dipped in quicksand. But once you get a feel for the tone and the specialized humor, it blows by, mostly thanks to a career-best performance from Adam Sandler. PTA still hasn’t missed, he makes a perfect movie every time out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNeZi1y_v88

BarcaRulz

L.A Confidential (1997)
- Director: Curtis Hanson; starring Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, James Cromwell, and Kim Basinger. A powerful film that takes lead from its excellent acting stock. IMO Curtis Hanson is amongst the best directors at getting quality performances from his actors, and he did that well with this (already) excellent cast. Strong script and a nice look inside the psyche of different approaches to the 'same' job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT7aFLAS4ZI

Geezer

Tropic Thunder (2008)
- Director: Ben Stiller; starring: Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black, Tom Cruise, Jay Baruchel and Danny McBride. EASILY one of the best comedies in recent memory, just a purely brilliant and hilarious movie, highlighted by the performances of its ensemble cast. Tremendously quotable. Tom Cruise in his best role ever! A movie that you either get, and love, or you just can't stand. It hit the exact right spot on my funny bone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pJQQvNNG8

JohnL

Wassup Rockers (2006)
- Director: Larry Clark; starring Jonathan Velazquez and Fransisco Pedrasa. (Cop) “You Don't Belong here [Beverly Hills]” (Kico) “Why cause we’re from South Central?” (Cop) “Yeah.” 10 years after Larry Clark made Kids he made another great Indie film called Wassup Rockers. It told the story of a group of Latino Kids living in South Central that rebel against the “gangsta” life style and instead ride skate boards and listen to hardcore. The film used real kids instead of actors which I thought was interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3D4jYSQW2s

leestu

Wong Fei Hung (Once Upon A Time In China) (1991)
– Director: Hark Tsui; starring Jet Li, Biao Yuen and Jacky Cheung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2EqPGXs10g

W

The Island (2005)
- Director: Michael Bay; starring Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Sean Bean and Steve Buscemi. I like twisty sci-fi films like this film in which a community of clones live only to get harvested by millionaires. My favorite part was pretty much anything with Michael Clarke Duncan's clone in it, but I can't find it anywhere, so here's the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtyC3jFh6eM
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'll do a full review later today, but I HATED the drubbing that The Island got when it first came out. It is a very enjoyable movie.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ooooh, lots here I haven't seen, and plenty I don't want to

Shrykespeare: Fantastic Four (2005) – It's unpretentious, I'll give you that. And there's some amusing moments, but it just felt so damn underwhelming, like a lot of superhero origin films.

silversurfer: Robin Hood (1973) - God, it's been probably 2 decades since I last watched this. Loved it as a kid - a fox Robin Hood was just so damn cool. Must see if the satire in it actually works!

thegreenarrow: The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) – Ah, good to see some classic film noir finally hit our Top 100s. This is an excellent example and far better than the softcore remake starring Nicholson.

transformers: Me, Myself and Irene (2000) - Very surprising to see this appear twice already, and no Dumb and Dumber (yet?). Not bad, but not good enough for me to want to rewatch.

englishozzy: Underworld (2003) - Great performance? Maybe by her body. This is a film I turned off because it was so boring. Buffy had wit, sarcasm, and irony. This has a load of CGI vampires. The comparison is like comparing piss to a fine wine!

Ron Burgundy: Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) – I would say that this is my least favourite Die Hard movie but then I saw the fourth film and was just depressed by it. This film has fun moments (like the drive through central park) but the first too are still far better. I think this film goes for too many laughs, and the banter between Willis and Jackson detracts from the tension as you just don't feel it's as real. It also doesn't help when you have scenes with Willis being shot out of a water pipe into the air like a cartoon character. There's also the subplot with the henchmen that just doesn't work at all. So no, despite some good bits it's nto a great film for me.

Buscemi: Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975) - An excellent film and proof that these guys were far more than just a bunch of odd guys. There's intelligence in the things they spoof, but on another level it's simply hilarious. Loved the ending too.

Chienfantome: Les Patriotes (The Patriots) (1994) – The trailer was even mroe confusing as the voices were out of sync! It does look interesting though, not only to compare different perspectives on Israeli special forces (Munich, etc), but also to see how you French do action ;).

Banks: Punch-Drunk Love (2002) - I enjoyed this film when I first saw it, although I suspect it was a combination of the quikiness mixed with the surprise of Sandler underplaying it, and of course Phillip Seymour Hoffman. But rewatching it recently I have to confess I found it to be style over substance. Ultimately, there's just not enough going on in the film. Nice, an interesting direction for PT Anderson, but not a favourite of mine.

BarcaRulz: L.A Confidential (1997) - Same as 94. Very good film, great performances, but perhaps a tad too routine to consider a favourite film.

Geezer: Tropic Thunder (2008) - I half watched this film a year ago. It didn't see to be overly funny but also didn't seem so poor that I disliked. Maybe I'll give it another try. Whenever anyone gushes about it I always wonder would they feel the same if Tom Cruise's five minutes weren't in it.

JohnL: Wassup Rockers (2006) - Haven't seen this one but I always feel that if you've seen one Larry Clark movie, you've seen them all. Kids, Bully, Ken Park... all use real kids instead of actors, all are explicit with teen sexuality, and ultimately all of them are bleak and defeatist that you may as well have Clark saying "there's no hope, there's no hope" in VO over the entire film. This seemed a bit better but I just don't enjoy Clark enough to watch it.

leestu: Wong Fei Hung (Once Upon A Time In China) (1991) – Heard of it, never seen it. I liked the trailer as it reminded me of Crouching Tiger (but it was almost a decade earlier!). However, is this just another martial arts movie with good fights or is there a good story/characters too? That's what made Crouching Tiger so much more than just another well-crafted martial arts flick.

W: The Island (2005) - Snore! This film is always on TV and I never manage to make it through in a single setting. Full of OTT music, predictable action scenes, and terrible, terrible performances from McGregor and Johansson. It's like Blade Runner stripped of any intelligence, craft, or art.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote: leestu: Wong Fei Hung (Once Upon A Time In China) (1991) – Heard of it, never seen it. I liked the trailer as it reminded me of Crouching Tiger (but it was almost a decade earlier!). However, is this just another martial arts movie with good fights or is there a good story/characters too? That's what made Crouching Tiger so much more than just another well-crafted martial arts flick.
My tastes are all about the story, and not the action :D . So yes there is a great epic story in this movie. It's a story about a legendary hero set in the late 1900s during the time of foreign imperialism in China. It's a multi layered story with heart, and a little bit of comedy which adds, not detracts from the seriousness of it,and each viewing I take away more from it. Definitely a better story than Crouching Tiger (and I do really like CrouchingTiger), and for those that do like the martial arts action that's good too. Each fight scene is well crafted and better than the last until the ladder fight near the end, which is probably the best fight scene (with wires) that I have ever seen.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - Although this film had a nice concept i just couldnt really get into this film, the animation was a tad off and the voices didnt work for me. 5/10

Surfer - Been a long time since i watched this film, 13 years to be exact. Was enjoyable but cant remember much from it. 7/10

Greenarrow - A thoroughly enjoyable and original film, hoping they dont do a sequel/prequel as this would be so much better as a stand alone film. 9/10

Ron - Another film that i need to re-watch has the memory is getting a little hazy, the scenes i do remember were pretty good though. 7/10

Buscemi - Wow a lot of oldish films are popping up for me that i havent seen in a while, might have to start getting some of these of DVD. 7/10

Banks - A really good film and it was nice to see Boyle finally break out as a recognised director. Im probably the only one that enjoyed The Beach. 9/10

Barca - Brilliant performance from Gibson, a man that should be respected as an actor and not remembered for the things he has done outside of film. 10/10

W - Not a huge fan of Sandler but found a few scenes in the film i could laugh at. 6/10

Shryke - Really didnt do well for me and the only thing that kept it afloat was the enthusiasm of Chris Evans. 5/10

Surfer - Not one of Disney classics, had only just re-watched this recently and it has kinda lost a bit of its gloss from what i remember as a kid. 6/10

Tranny - Same comments as earlier in the countdown, not my favourite Carrey movie but still pretty funny. 7/10

Ron - The original is still head and shoulder above the rest, but the cat and mouse game was played out pretty well in this one. 7/10

Buscemi - I find myself quoted something from this movie at least once a day. Absolutely hilarious. 10/10

Geezer - Really funny when it came out but not quite so much after repeated viewings. 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

englishozzy: Underworld (2003) - Great performance? Maybe by her body. This is a film I turned off because it was so boring. Buffy had wit, sarcasm, and irony. This has a load of CGI vampires. The comparison is like comparing piss to a fine wine!
Ouch!!
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #92

silversurfer - Robin Hood (1973) - Wow. It's a good kids movie, but Top 100 material? Don't think so. (6/10)

englishozzy - Underworld (2003) - I've seen all the Underworld movies, but I'm having a hard time separating one story line from another. So I had to go to IMDb for the score that I gave it. (6/10)

Ron Burgundy - Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) – Loved every minute of it. Coming up much later. (10/10)

Buscemi - Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975) - IMHO, the funniest movie ever made. And even funnier, I'd NEVER seen that trailer before you posted it! I don't know yet where it will be on my list, but I can guarantee Top Five. I've probably seen this film more times than any other film ever made. (11/10) :D

Banks - Punch-Drunk Love (2002) - You're right, it's Sandler's best performance by a mile (though I haven't seen Reign Over Me), and I somehow never absorbed the fact that this was a PT Anderson film! That puts it in a whole new light. Sander was so against-type here, much like Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction. His final confrontation with PS Hoffman was terrific. (8/10)

BarcaRulz - L.A Confidential (1997) - Great pick! (10/10)

Geezer - Tropic Thunder (2008) - "A movie that you either get, and love, or you just can't stand." I definitely agree with that statement. And, I'm sorry to say, I'm in the latter group. Didn't find the movie remotely interesting or funny. (4/10)

W - The Island (2005) - W, Banks, add one more to the fan club. I thought it was terrifically entertaining, and had a far more interesting story than Transformers. One of Bay's better films. (9/10)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare: Fantastic Four (2005) – I am a Marvel fanboy and I didn't hate this, but it's not really anything special. Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis are pretty good here and they save this film from being completley average. It's pretty good, but it's near the bottom of the Marvel film heap.(7/10)

silversurfer: Robin Hood (1973) -Never seen it.

thegreenarrow: The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) –Never seen it.

englishozzy: Underworld (2003) -I loved this film as well, Beckinsale is great and it's a really badass vampire werewolf film(8.5/10)

Ron Burgundy: Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) -The Die Hard franchise ranks among my favorites. This is not quite as good as the original, but Samuel L.Jackson was an awesome addition. Pretty great film. (8.5/10)

Buscemi: Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975) - An absolute classic and it ranks among my favorites as well.(9.5/10)

Chienfantome: Les Patriotes (The Patriots) (1994) –Never seen it.

Banks: Punch-Drunk Love (2002) -Ugh, This movie bored the hell out of me.(3.5/10)

BarcaRulz: L.A Confidential (1997) -Never seen it, but I am interested.

Geezer: Tropic Thunder (2008) -This film is really,really funny. It is really quotable and Downey Jr. steals the show. The only thing I didn't like about it was Cruise, I thought his character was obnoxious and just not funny. Besides that, great comedy.(8/10)

JohnL: Wassup Rockers (2006)-Never seen it.

leestu: Wong Fei Hung (Once Upon A Time In China) (1991) –Never seen it.

W: The Island (2005) -I really enjoyed this film as well. I found it to be quite entertaining and intresting.(8/10)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare: Fantastic Four (2005) – I knid of see FF as the kind of movie Marvel would produce before Spider-Man, in that they were generally not trying to be anything other than a bit of fun. For that it warrants some points, but having said that they didn't really leave a great impression on me, as they were just a little to childish for me. Probably great for a 12 year old, but I just prefer my comic book heroes with a bit more bite. (5/10)

thegreenarrow: The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) – I do really like this, but it isn't really one of my absolute favourite noir movies. And I do like a lot of them (you will see quite an array scattered through my entire countdown). I think other than the great chemistry between the two leads, along with an interesting narrative, I just don't think there is quite enough quality to raise it into the absolute best of the genre. (8/10)

transformers: Me, Myself and Irene (2000) - I have a feeling the better Farrelly comedies (Something About Mary, Dumb And Dumber) will appear much higher in the countdown, but my feelings regarding this haven't changed. Still have no real desire to ever watch this. (N/A)

englishozzy: Underworld (2003) - Comparing Underworld to Buffy? Please. Underworld seemed to spend more time finding the most figure hugging outfit for Beckinsdale to work rather than writing some of the most brilliant scripts delievered with wit and inventiveness. And even the CGI was a little dodgy, so I guess the only thing going for it was the figure hugging outfits... (3/10)

Ron Burgundy: Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) – To be honest I've only ever watched it once. I liked the introduction of Samuel L Jackson, the chemistry between him and Willis seemed to work quite well, but other than that I don't really remember much more about it apart from I wasn't really a fan of the bad guy in this. Give me the first movie over this anyday. (5/10)

Buscemi: Monty Python and The Holy Grail (1975) - I really need to watch this movie a little more than I have. Whereas I've seen The Life Of Brian over 10 times, I reckon I've only seen this twice, but one both occasions it has been an absolute delight. Cracking jokes which only Python were capable of, every member of the group with something to offer. (8/10)

Chienfantome: Les Patriotes (The Patriots) (1994) – I'll get back to this when I watch the trailer. (N/A)

numbersix: Metropolis(1927) - This was a movie i certainly considered for my list but in the end didn't quite make the cut mainly because I haven't watched it enough to have a completely rounded opinion of the movie. It is masterfully created, with amazing sets and a thoroughly engaging plot as you mentioned. I don't think I expected to like it SO much when I first saw it, I really need to watch it again to see if I appreciate it as much. I own the dvd, but obviously without the new extended parts which are to come, I wonder how much more we will get in that edition. (8.5/10)

Banks: Punch-Drunk Love (2002) - I remember watching this a few years ago before I realised it was a PTA movie, and found it to be pretty good and one of Sandler's best performances. I began watching it again recently, but I just don't think I was in the mood and couldn't get into it. I think I prefer There Will Be Blood and Magnolia a little more. (7/10)

BarcaRulz: L.A Confidential (1997) - Obviously my feelings haven't changed in the last couple of days. Good pick. (7/10)

Geezer: Tropic Thunder (2008) - Yeah, I've watched this a couple of times now and I still find it just a little ho-hum. There are a few good jokes in there, a little satire etc, which maintains my attention, but it never really took that next step to greatness. Instead we get Tom Cruise acting like an ass, and the whole world assumes because it is so out of turn for him that it must be comic genius. Just because its different doesn't make it good. It was just embarrassing, and in five years time will be cringed at. (5/10)

JohnL: Wassup Rockers (2006) - i watched Kids after hearing all the hype for it and was pretty much unimpressed by it. This doesn't look any different and i have no desire to ever watch it. (N/A)

leestu: Wong Fei Hung (Once Upon A Time In China) (1991) – Will get back to you after I watch the trailer. (N/A)

W: The Island (2005) - Seriously, I can't believe so many of you guys actually like this! Any real fan of sci-fi will see how many different movies Bay stole from, turned into a Frankestein monster, rammed it up his ass and then let it slowly excrete out of his mouth and into a screenplay. It tries to be stimulating and important, but in the end Bay can't help himself with a few car chases, explosions and the all too obvious product placement. If a little more money from the advertisers was spend on a screenplay rather than special effects there may have been something watchable here. Instead I just hear the sci fi fan inside me die a little every time I see a clip of this. (1/10)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

silversurfer19 wrote: W: The Island (2005) - Seriously, I can't believe so many of you guys actually like this! Any real fan of sci-fi will see how many different movies Bay stole from, turned into a Frankestein monster, rammed it up his ass and then let it slowly excrete out of his mouth and into a screenplay. It tries to be stimulating and important, but in the end Bay can't help himself with a few car chases, explosions and the all too obvious product placement. If a little more money from the advertisers was spend on a screenplay rather than special effects there may have been something watchable here. Instead I just hear the sci fi fan inside me die a little every time I see a clip of this. (1/10)

Jeez, surfer, we'll never advance the discussion if you keep beating around the bush like this.... :twisted:

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Well, you should know by now that i don't like to offend and avoid rocking the boat wherever possible....

And you should count yourself lucky you come up first on the postings, I start off in a pleasant mood but by the end of the comments I'm ready to release just like Bay and his compulsive need to create crap. Maybe I should start posting my comments in reverse order [wink].

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

But Surfer, tell us how you really feel about The Island
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I wouldn't want to give away too many spoilers for why I chose it as one of my own top ten picks...

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just to remind you, tonight's films mark the end of this first thread. #90 will begin Thread #2. And yes, I will be doing a 10-film recap of everyone's picks, just like with the music.

MOVIE #91

Shrykespeare

The Terminator (1984)
– Director: James Cameron; starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn. The one that made Arnie a superstar, and easily the badass-est of all his badass roles. An amazing story, with terrific action, some truly horrific nuclear overtones, and Schwarzenegger’s relentless cyborg at the center. And, of course, the movie that gave us the line that the Governator will be uttering until his grave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vsp2EQ5B2U

silversurfer

Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
- Director: Shane Meadows; starring Paddy Considine and Gary Stretch. One of the very finest revenge movies I've ever seen, Shane Meadows combined many of the elements of his previous efforts into creating his finest movie to date. It's a complex web of mystery which unravels before your eyes at a devastating pace, lead by the uncompromising menace of Paddy Considine, whose character's personality can flip on a whim to a truly unsettling effect. We saw this ability in his previous Meadows' movie A Room For Romeo Brass, but here he really steps it up a level, and at times he is chilling. With the gritty camera work and raw, naturalistic performances from the cast what results is a truly believable movie, which makes it all the more unsettling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFi6FrAV9SE

thegreenarrow

Fargo (1995)
– Director: The Coen Brothers; starring Frances McDormand, William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi. The movie is just so cinematic, the Coens really know how to make the style work. Frances McDormand is amazing in it, and Peter Stormare always plays a great bad guy. The plot is so suspenseful, a classic film noir, I can imagine it being made in the 1950s, just with the Coens’ own slant on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4PmbfG4bw

transformers

Zack and Miri Make A Porno (2008)
- Director: Kevin Smith; starring Seth Rogen, Elizabeth Banks and Craig Robinson. Kevin Smith has struck again! What I love so much about Zack and Miri is its highly original concept. In addition to its original and hilarious story, Smith continues his tradition of writing great dialogue. There are so many lines in this film that had me in tears. The cast is all-around great and bringing proven comedy veterans like Seth Rogen and Craig Robinson to work with Smith regulars such as Jason Mewes and Jeff Anderson was a great choice on Smith's part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR4bJfMtu4k

englishozzy

Platoon (1986)
- Director: Oiiver Stone; starring Charlie Sheen, Forest Whitaker, Francesco Quinn and Kevin Dillon. I have never really been a fan of Oliver Stone's work but for some reason this film really gets to me. A realistic look at the Vietnam War, and although I have never experienced nor quite old enough when this war happened, there was a genuine emotion and investment towards the soldiers. Not a war film about the action and more a documentary on what went down over there and the implications of the country's decision. A haunting look at war and something that really resonates with me to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue8VS-bcj88

Ron Burgundy

Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (1985)
- Director: George P. Cosmatos; starring: Sylvester Stallone and Richard Crenna. Not sure if this appears on anyone else’s list, but a movie cant get much more raw 80s macho action than this! And is it a coincidence James Cameron wrote the screenplay? No way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St35vR3OwbQ

Buscemi

Superman (1978)
- Director: Richard Donner; starring Christopher Reeve, Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder and Jackie Cooper. The film that gave us the modern superhero movie, it still holds up as one of the best comic book adaptations ever made. The vast scope, the grand storytelling, the assembling of top talent, you can tell this movie wasn't made for more than a quick buck. The filmmakers wanted to be respectable and make something that everyone would enjoy. The final results show they did a lot more than just that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twyYIPhSa3U

Chienfantome

Donnie Darko (2001)
– Director: Richard Kelly; starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone and Patricke Swayze. There was a time when Richard Kelly’s debut feature would have been much higher, but I have not seen it in a while. This is clearly the work of a young director, full of daring ideas. At the time, we could have thought than the apocalyptic theme of the film was just a way to surprise the spectator, but Kelly has since proved that this particular theme is an obsession of his. The end of the world to talk about the uncertainties of life and the fear of death. It’s a brilliant film, so mysterious. I love a film that prefers to let your imagination develop rather than explain everything for you. The ending, with the brilliant cover of “Mad World” by Gary Jules, is haunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N49ISZ4LpkU

numbersix

Point Blank (1967)
- Director: John Boorman; starring Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson and Keenan Wynn. Not only a great year for music, 1967 spawned some influential films. Point Blank is one of my favourites, a thriller told in a non-linear narrative, where the truth spirals out of control as a man tries to exact revenge on those who betrayed him. Lee Marvin was such an intimidating figure, and fortunately he never tried to soften his on-screen persona (even in Paint Your Wagon!), and in this film he’s the embodiment of revenge and its nasty consequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVvUYudujZU

Banks

Blood Diamond (2006)
- Director: Edward Zwick; starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Connelly and Djimon Hounsou. Blood Diamond lives and dies on the performance of Djimon Hounsou, the African diamond miner who stumbles upon a priceless, rare pink diamond. Luckily, Hounsou has more acting talent in his pinkie than most actors working today; it’s a rare thing when someone makes DiCaprio look like an amateur. The highlight comes when Hounsou must try to convince his son of who he is, and slowly he breaks through to the child by making him realize he is not what he has been recently – a murderous child soldier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPX2kXhu7I

BarcaRulz

Kick-Ass (2010)
- Director: Matthew Vaughn; starring Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz, Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Mark Strong. You know you like a movie when it gets hyped to the extreme before you watch it, yet you still leave feeling like the hype didn't do it justice. To be honest I was never one who was into superheroes and comics, but even though I still thought this film was able to combine both those elements successfully. It also helps that the acting was excellent by all involved, especially Chloe Moretz who gave the best child performance in a long time, and Mark Strong who is always awesome as the bad guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5mxBaXHcFw

Geezer

The Last of the Mohicans (1992) - Director: Michael Mann; starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe and Eric Schweig. This has always been one of my favorites since I first saw it as a kid. I have always loved the story behind it, as well as the history and some sweet action for a serious movie. I haven't seen it in a long while but I doubt my appreciation would wane one bit. It would probably only grow. Daniel Day-Lewis is fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZtQhhS14w

JohnL

Friday (1995)
- Director: F. Gary Gary; starring Ice Cube and Chris Tucker. “You got knocked the fuck out punk!” (Smokey) This classic 'hood movie showed the lighter side of gangsta life, and was pretty much Ice Cube's only good movie besides Three Kings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgKMZN4oIrg

leestu

Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
– Director: Roman Polanski; starring Mia Farrow and John Cassavetes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPyEsObI1M

W

The Blues Brothers (1980) - Director: John Landis; starring Dan Akroyd, John Belushi and Carrie Fisher. Great lines, great music, and great cameos. You can't ask for much more in a comedy. Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Cab Calloway, and more really put on a show (not to mention the Brothers themselves). My favorite part is in the country (and western) bar they play in (link).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5N35kQAPv0

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

A great round today....

Shrykespeare: The Terminator (1984) – Yes! Finally, a film I really, really love turns up on your list. It's an undeniable classic, and despite the effects it still stands up today as a convincing and downright scary film.

silversurfer: Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - A very different film for social realist Shane Meadows, but that makes him all the more impressive as a director. Yes, this film has a twist, but it's pretty obvious and the pleasure is more about the revenge and the realism it's treated with. Hell, you almost feel sorry for the guys Considine goes after eventually. Amazing soundtrack too.

thegreenarrow: Fargo (1995) – It was a contender for my list. Another brilliant film with some excellent characters, especially William H. Macy as the idiot behind the plan. Another one of the Coens' films about how chaos always reigns and you can never control how life goes, especially when you hire a psycho like Peter Stomare!

transformers: Zack and Miri Make A Porno (2008) - Haven't seen it, the idea sounds amusing, but I'm not a fan of Kevin Smith (I only like Clerks, nothing else) so won't watch it.

englishozzy: Platoon (1986) - Not a fan of Stone (in fact more often than not I loathe his films and his directorial style), but there is power in this film. It's still not as good as other Vietnam War films, but there's enough intensity to ensure it's watchable.

Ron Burgundy: Rambo: First Blood Part 2 (1985) - Saw the first one, thought it was okay. My understanding that while the first one is obviously a criticism of US foreign policy by showing how war screws up people so bad that they can turn into enemies, the rest of the films were just dumb action flicks.

Buscemi: Superman (1978) - Don't like Superman, to be honest. He's just so ridiculously good, and the disguise of Clark Kent is a little too silly to buy on any level (unless people in comic books have an average IQ of -10). This film is indeed the best of the bunch, but mostly because of Hackman as the lounging, scheming, train tunnel-dwelling Lex Luthor. Brando, who taped his dialogue to bits of the set instead of learning the lines, is awful in it.

Chienfantome: Donnie Darko (2001) – This was originally in my Top 100 but time and my hatred for Kelly's other 2 films have lessened the appeal. But I do remember seeing this for the first time in 2002, and being blown away by the surreal atmosphere and open ending. Some great ideas, some great moments, and even some great performances (the parents are excellent and very well-portrayed in general). I didn't like the Director's Cut, as it went far too much into its own mythos when ultimately for me the film is about a person trying to work out his conneciton with the people around him, and figuring out if you really do die alone.

Banks: Blood Diamond (2006) - You see, my problem with this movie is that I do indeed agree with Hounsou's performance is key to this movie. But what bugs me is they had to introduce a white guy as the hero, the one we really watch it for. Yes, it's for star power, but I spent most of the movie caring for Hounsou's character and bored by Di Caprio's, so it's only half a good film.

BarcaRulz: Kick-Ass (2010) - Another contentious choice, considering how recent it is, but I don't mind too much as it really is entertaining. I've seen it twice and liked it both times. MY only problem is that for a film that derives humour (and its plot) from the difference between "reality" and comic books, it's "reality" gets a little "unreal" towards the end when you get things like gun-mounted jetpacks and firing badguys out windows with rocket launchers. But it's still funny, cool, and enjoyable throughout. Hope they make a sequel.

Geezer: The Last of the Mohicans (1992) - When I tell people how unimaginative Michael Mann is as a director, I forget he did this film. As far as blockbusters go this is one of the best, and way better than self-righteous crap like Braveheart. Great action, intense performances, and a soulful ending.

JohnL: Friday (1995) - Yeah, not my culutre and most certainly not my kinda thing.

leestu: Rosemary’s Baby (1968) –You know, this is considered to be on of the few great horror movies and I haven't seen it. Will get around to it eventually.

W: The Blues Brothers (1980) - I remember it fondly, but it's been over 10 years so it's hard to comment.