Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time Prelim: #110-#101

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time Prelim: #110-#101

Post by Buscemi »

I saw The Sixth Man on VHS when I was seven or eight. It was okay.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:Mean Girls: the only movie I ever snuck into without paying. I walked out after fifteen minutes because it was so bad.
Give it a chance. It's more satirical than you think. I imagine if you like the humour of 30 Rock you'll like this.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Just a few words;

Shryke - By the looks of your list, your probably looking the closest to mine atm in terms of style but only one of those films actually made my Top 100. I liked Death Race and Madagasacar but havent got round to seeing The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo as it has only just reached the cinemas over here.

Surfer - Some very interesting films already, three of your movies are in my Top 100 and im glad somebody else appreciates Brick.

Tranny - Already im seeing a real mixture in substance with your list, though not one made my own list i did enjoy There's Something About Mary, The Wackness and Super Troopers.

Ron - Two of your films has made my own list, not sure about Two Hands and Walk Hard though as they never really appealed to me. Will be checking out Spy Hard though.

Boosch - Although none of those films are on my own list i have to say that i really enjoyed Aliens, Seven Samurai and The Terminator.

Chien - None of your films are in mine but like Surfer i have an appreciation for Everything is Illuminated. Some good choices in Finding Nemo and The Mist.

Six - Our tastes are going to probably be a bit different judging by your list but at least two of yours is on my own list. I forgot about Sideways and have been meaning to watch Diving Bell. You might have just pushed me to add it to my queue.

Banks - Only one of your films has made my own Top 100 but i also did enjoy the first Transformers and Gran Torino.
"Then telephone for an axe"

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

numbersix wrote:
Buscemi wrote:Mean Girls: the only movie I ever snuck into without paying. I walked out after fifteen minutes because it was so bad.
Give it a chance. It's more satirical than you think. I imagine if you like the humour of 30 Rock you'll like this.
I don't like Tina Fey. For me, she ruined Saturday Night Live and it's never recovered.

Also, I hate it on the grounds of being too dumb to be realistic and for ripping off the plot to Heathers (without including what made Heathers good in the first place).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well, you did only see 15 minutes of it so it's hard to judge. And you don't have to be realistic to be satirical. And I'm not even a fan of 30 Rock myself!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Since we're starting tomorrow, I imagine this will be the last 110-101 list, although W said he'd post his own.

BarcaRulz

110. Big Trouble (2002) - Director: Barry Sonnenfeld; starring Tim Allen, Rene Russo, Stanley Tucci and Tom Sizemore. I love ensemble comedies. Always have, always will. This one offers up a funny script, with a great cast, and some genuine comedic moments, that make it fun, weird, and insanely re-watchable.

109. Die Hard (1988) - Director: John McTiernan; starring Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman, Bonnie Bedelia, William Atherton and Reginald Veljohnson. Easily one of the best action movies ever made. Had everything from ridiculous shoot-outs, to memorable villain and quotability.

108. Once (2006) - Director: John Carney; starring Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. A triumph of low-cast-high-quality film making. Great performances, great script, nice story, with an immense soundtrack.

107. Hot Fuzz (2007) - Director: Edgar Wright; starring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Bill Nighy and Timothy Dalton. Love me some British comedy, and love the pairing of Pegg/Frost. Great humor throughout, as well as some memorable quotes. Highly enjoyable, funny, and with some surprisingly good action too.

106. The Negotiator (1998) – Director: F. Gary Gray; starring Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, David Morse, Paul Giamatti, Ron Rifkin and J.T. Walsh. Intense thriller with some great actors at their best. Loved the story, loved the acting, loved the suspense, and loved the end product.

105. The Big White (2005) - Director: Mark Mylod; starring Robin Williams, Holly Hunter, Giovanni Ribisi and Woody Harrelson. Another ensemble comedy. Outrageous at times, but always smart. Cast all at the top of their games, and again a script that offers up genuine comedy.

104. My Cousin Vinny (1992) - Director: Jonathan Lynn; starring Joe Pesci, Ralph Maccio, Marisa Tomei and Fred Gwynne. Great film that offers more of a story than your normal run-of-the-mill comedy. Marisa Tomei is amazing in this and fully deserved her Oscar, and Joe Pesci, as always, is brilliant. Great memories of first watching this with my family, and we all loved it.

103. Taxi Driver (1976) – Director: Martin Scorsese; starring Robert DeNiro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd, Harvey Keitel, Peter Boyle and Albert Brooks. While IMO some people tend to overrate it, it is still an excellent movie by my favorite director/actor combo. Intense, great story, and some very memorable scenes as well. A great launching pad for Scorsese.

102. Dogma (1999) - Director: Kevin Smith; starring Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Alan Rickman and Jason Lee. A great satirical comedy with a fantastic ensemble cast. A very underrated script by alot of people, I am always able to enjoy this film and love pretty much every minute of it.

101. Croupier (1998) - Director: Mike Hodges; starring Clive Owen, Nick Redding and Nicholas Ball. Watched this because I really like Clive Owen, had absolutely no info on it other than that. It was a pleasant surprise to say the least. A great heist/crime/drama with some subtle comedy tossed in and an intense script as well. Great performances all around really makes this film come together nicely.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer

110. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Director: Peter Jackson; starring Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen and Viggo Mortensen.

109. Wayne's World (1992) - Director: Penelope Spheeris; starring Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Rob Lowe and Tia Carrere.

108. Animal House (1978) - Director: John Landis; starring John Belushi, Tom Hulce, Tim Matheson and Stephen Furst.

107. The Matrix Reloaded (2003) - Director: The Wachowski Brothers; starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.

106. Wayne's World 2 (1993) - Director: Stephen Surjik; starring Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Christopher Walken and Tia Carrere.

105. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) - Director: Alfonso Cuaron; starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint and Gary Oldman.

104. U-571 (2000) - Director: Jonathan Mostow; starring Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton, Harvey Keitel and Jon Bon Jovi.

103. Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters (2007) - Directors: Matt Maiellaro and Dave Willis; starring Dana Snyder, Carey Means, Dave Willis and Andy Merrill.

102. The Patriot (2000) - Director: Roland Emmerich; starring Mel Gibson, Heath Ledger, Jason Isaacs and Chris Cooper.

101. Gladiator (2000) - Director: Ridley Scott; starring Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielsen and Oliver Reed.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Barca.... some great choice there. Two are in my Top 100. Great to see appreciate for Hot Fuzz and My Cousin Vinny. Here's some news: From January I'm going to be working for the producer of Once, doing research and attending meetings with him. I'll tell him Oce made your Top 110 ;)

Geez... none of those films are in my Top 100, and it's a mix of good and bad. I hated The Patriot and The Matrix Reloaded. I do enjoy the Wayne's World movies and Fellowship of the Ring. And I really gotta see the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Barca - Only one of your films made my own list but a big shoutout to Hot Fuzz and Once.

Geez - 2 of your films made it into my Top 100 and i also felt Reloaded was a tad underated but still nothing compared to the original. Wayne's World and Animal House were also pretty cool.
"Then telephone for an axe"

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

leestu

110. Amadeus (1984) – Director: Mios Forman; starring F Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce

109. The Club (1980) – Director: Bruce Beresford; starring Jack Thompson, Graham Kennedy, and John Howard.

108. Ghosts...of the Civil Dead (1988) – Director: John Hillcoat; starring David Field, Mike Bishop and Nick Cave.

107. Run, Lola, Run (1998) – Director: Tom Tykwer; starring Franka Potente and Moritz Bleibtreu.

106. Being John Malkovich (1999) – Director: Spike Jonze; starring John Cusack, Cameron Diaz and John Malkovich.

105. Fargo (1996) – Director : Joel Coen and Ethan Coen; starring Frances McDormand, William H Macy and Steve Buscemi.

104. Stone (1974) – Director: Sandy Harbutt; starring Ken Shorter and Sandy Harbutt.

103. Bad Boy Bubby (1993) – Director: Rolf de Heer; starring Nicholas Hope and Claire Benito.

102. Mad Max (1979) – Director: George Miller; starring Mel Gibson and Steve Bisley.

101. City Lights (1931) – Director: Charles Chaplin; starring Charles Chaplin and Virginia Cherrill.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Gee, Leestu has four movies there that it pained me to cut. Will be interesting to see the rest of his list.
From January I'm going to be working for the producer of Once, doing research and attending meetings with him. I'll tell him Oce made your Top 110
If you could also tell him I purchased (believe me, purchasing for me is a BIG deal) both the DVD and the Soundtrack, and that "Falling Slowly" was on my top 100 song list, that would be great. Maybe I'll get a signed something.. who knows?

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Oh wow. Totally forgot Fargo. Dammit.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:I saw The Sixth Man on VHS when I was seven or eight. It was okay.
Man... I saw it in the theater. Anyways, I was searching for this thread for a while and finally just found it. Anyways, I've got my 110-101. There's really not too many films that I would consider a "favorite," definitely not 110, but I had to come up with that number so here goes.

W

110. Mr. Holland's Opus (1995) - Director: Stephen Herek, Starring: Richard Dreyfuss, Glenne Headley - We used to watch this in music class once a year, so this movie reminds me of that.

109. Total Recall (1990) - Director: Paul Verhoeven, Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger - Seriously, a guy with an alien living in his stomach, laughably bad lines like, "Baby, you make me wish I had three hands." Pure Arnold cheesiness.

108. Major League II (1989) - Director: David S. Ward, Starring: Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Corben Bernsen - Not as good as the first, but I really like the Japanese outfielder they pick up halfway through the season. And who can argue with a Willie Mays Hayes/Jesse Ventura action thriller where Willie vows revenge for the death of his snake?

107. Signs (2002) - Director: M. Night Shyamalan, Starring: Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix - This is the only M. Night film I can watch over and over.

106. An Interview With the Vampire (1994) - Director: Neil Jordan, Starring: Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise - Pitt and Cruise living the vampire live for a couple hundred years.

105. Encino Man (1992) - Director: Les Mayfield, Starring: Brendan Frasier, Sean Astin, Pauly Shore - No wheezing the juice! I still use the word "grindage" all the time...

104. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) - Director: George Lucas, Starring: Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman - Subtract the gungons and you've got the only film with Qui-Gon and Darth Maul, the promotion of Obi Wan, and a Weird Al parody song.

103. Rain Man (1988) - Director: Barry Levinson, Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise - Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise do a great job with this one. Gotta love savant card counting.

102. John Q (2002) - Director: Nick Cassavetes, Starring: Denzel Washington - Though not at all believable, it's one of the better Denzel films out there.

101. Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) - Director: Nicholas Stoller, Starring: Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Milas Kunis, Russell Brand - Hilarious movie I haven't had a chance to watch a second time. With multiple viewings, I have no doubt that it will make the 100. Jason Segel is starting to become a favorite of mine.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

An interesting batch of movies from the last few participants. Some quality movies which either made my list or were considered before being cut, while some absolute out of the ball park picks which I'd never consider a favourite myself.

Barca, some decent movies in your list, Die Hard was very close to making my cut, it really is one of the absolute finest action movies I've ever seen, and a great movie to watch at Christmas. I also think we should be doing an Alan Rickman top 5 movies, as this would be up there with the very best of a quite brilliant career. Hot Fuzz is great, not my favourite Edgar Wright film (and seriously everyone goes on about the Pegg/Frost combination, but unless Wright is involved also, their movies are just never as good), but very fun with some classic lines. I tihnk I found myself like Once more for its soundtrack than the actual movie, which while was decent was also a little pedestrian at times.

Can't say there were any crossover's with Geezer's list and my own. Nothing I really rate too much from their, only really the LOTR movie, which I consider the best of the trilogy. And for me The Patriot was a horrible experience, bloated and far too self important.

Leestu, and interesting list, I'll have to check out a few of your Australian ones like the John Hillcoat movie for one, while your inclusion of the likes of Mad Max and Run Lola Run is good to see. And Fargo not in your top 100? Wow. For me it was an absolute cert.

W, I loved some of the comments on your picks, I can tell you care about your picks and they each have a reason for their position, despite your insistence that you don't have 110 favourites. Great choice of Total Recall, it was one of the last cut from my own list so good to see its representation. And other the Darth Maul fight scene, there is no excuse for Episode 1 to make the cut, and this is coming from a huge Star Wars fan!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote:Leestu, and interesting list, I'll have to check out a few of your Australian ones like the John Hillcoat movie for one, while your inclusion of the likes of Mad Max and Run Lola Run is good to see. And Fargo not in your top 100? Wow. For me it was an absolute cert.
I think I know how you feel about seeing Fargo chosen but not in a top 100; someone (I won't say who) has already chosen a movie (I won't say which) from high in my top 10! (I won't say where). As to Fargo everytime I watch it I like it even more, so give me a few more years and a few more viewings, and it will probably be up there.
While I am here let me say it was good to see some appreciation for Whatever Happened To Baby Jane and Irma La Douce. Both great movies. In fact I liked all of your 101 to 110 that I have seen apart from TDK. I haven't seen Brick or City Of God yet (although City Of God is relatively high on my quickflix queue).