Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time Prelim: #110-#101

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time Prelim: #110-#101

Post by Shrykespeare »

Welcome, all.

First off, my apologies to NSpan for hijacking this thread that he created. However, I have made an executive decision and decided to post our movie lists here for two reasons: first off, NSpan doesn't seem to be using it at the moment, and second, posting it in the "General Discussion" might present a problem for those who want to go over past threads... given the number of miscellanous topics that crop up in that thread, older countdown threads might be pushed off the main page a lot faster than they would here. A besides, "The Movie Club" seemed like an apt platform to launch our countdown.

And so, to business. At the moment, here are the people who will be participating:

Shrykespeare
Buscemi
Donte
silversurfer
thegreenarrow
BarcaRulz
transformers
Chienfantome
englishozzy
W
numbersix
NSpan (I think)
leestu
Ron Burgundy
Geezer
Geezer's Brother

Come 11/1, I will be posting one selection per person per day, just like I did with the music countdown. I will be posting one paragraph, plus any link that you decide to send along with it, be it to a trailer, clip or featurette. However, I will only be posting it as a link and not an embedded video, just to save space. (I may change that, however, when we get to our Top 10.) I will be doing my best to make everyone's paragraphs fit the same format. Hopefully everyone will catch on and send me their picks in the same format once we get going.

Unlike the music countdown, when we did our preliminary "105-101" videos one at a time, I will be posting everyone's #110-101 picks all at once. However, with seventeen people at ten movies each, that's 170 paragraphs, and that would be far too lengthy to fit in one post. Therefore, I will be posting them two or three people at a time. And since, at this moment, I have had five people (including myself) create their 110-101 lists and sent them to me, I will start the ball rolling a few days early. When I get more, I'll post them, and then a few more, and so on.

Are we ready for four more months of complete, unadulterated fun and chaos? One thing's for sure, there will be a lot more "repeats" this time around, since the number of movies in existence is a micro-fraction of the number of songs. Whilst only nine of my Top 100 songs were repeated on other people's lists, I would expect that about 2/3 of my list will appear on other people's... we'll soon see.

So, time to get the ball rolling with our first five contestants' picks that just didn't quite make it...

Shrykespeare

110. Air Force One (1997) – Director: Wolfgang Petersen; starring Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman and Glenn Close. Yeah, I know, it’s pretty rote as far as action movies go, but what other movie can you think of where the President himself kicked as much ass as in this one? Oldman was in his element, the supporting cast was terrific, and it had a terrific tagline: “Get off my plane!”

109. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2009) – Director: Niels Arden Oplev; starring Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace. This is the only foreign-language film to make it on my list (or the precursor thereof), and one of four films (so far) to be released in 2010 that will make it. I wasn’t expecting this to be THIS good, and I’m expecting equally good things from the two sequels. The English version has some big shoes to fill.

108. Death Race (2008) – Director: Paul W.S. Anderson; starring Jason Statham, Joan Allen, Ian McShane and Tyrese Gibson. Just a terrific, balls-to-the-wall action/revenge film that never tries to be anything that it isn’t. Indulgent as a triple hot fudge sundae, McShane’s role as Statham’s mechanic was the whipped cream and cherry on top.

107. Déjà Vu (2006) – Director: Tony Scott; starring Denzel Washington, Paula Patton and Val Kilmer. Action mixed with sci-fi, and contains one of the most unique chase scenes in film history. One of Tony’s better efforts.

106. Trading Places (1983) – Director: John Landis; starring Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy and Jamie Lee Curtis. This movie is still hysterical. Rich white guy teams up with poor black guy to get revenge on the greedy moneygrubbers who turned their lives upside down on a bet. Aykroyd and Murphy are brilliant together.

105. Madagascar (2005) – Director: Eric Darnell and Tom McGrath; starring Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer and Jada Pinkett Smith. Four lovable zoo animals coping with life outside captivity? Great idea. But it was Sacha Baron Cohen’s narcissistic King Julian and the quartet of certifiably insane penguins that gave the story its funniest moments. I, too, like to move it, move it…

104. Vantage Point (2008) – Director: Pete Travis; starring Dennis Quaid, Matthew Fox, Forest Whitaker, William Hurt and Sigourney Weaver. A marvelously-crafted story, period. Shown in segments, each from a different character’s point of view, adds a little bit to the story each time, which climaxes in a collection of chase scenes so exciting that it still leaves me white-knuckled to watch it.

103. Short Circuit (1986) – Director: John Badham; starring Steve Guttenberg, Ally Sheedy and Fisher Stevens. The idea that a robot could develop human mannerisms after being struck by lightning is ludicrous, but when I was a teenager I thought it was the funniest movie I’d ever seen. I remember paying to see it FIVE times. I’ve grown up since then, but it still deserves mention.

102. Inception (2010) – Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Ellen Page. I’ve only seen this once, which is why it hasn’t cracked my Top 100 yet. I’ll probably need to see it a couple more times to really wrap my head around all the nuances of Nolan’s latest masterpiece. That’s all I can really say right now.

101. Jurassic Park (1993) – Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldblum. Sadly, the inferiority of the two sequels has diluted my appreciation of this film, “loosely” based on Michael Crichton’s novel. The action was terrific, and featured the most realistic T-Rex attack ever.

silversurfer

110. Brick (2005) - Director: Rian Johnson; starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lukas Haas and Richard Roundtree. As a fan of the noir genre in general, it was totally refreshing to first watch this movie, which, more than just a homage to the style, embraces their strengths and then adds a dash of smart dialogue and a narrative with a modern twist to create a twisting and turning mystery taking place within the realms of a high school. Great performances all round (especially Joseph Gordon Levitt in the lead), Brick really showcased Rian Johnson as one of the brightest lights to emerge in the early 21st Century. He has since gone on to prove this wasn't just a fluke with The Brothers Bloom, and going by the cast and story for his next movie, we can only assume he will really break out in the coming years.

109. Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? (1962) – Director: Robert Aldrich; starring Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Victor Buono. This is one of those movies which thrives on spellbinding central performances from its two leads, and Bette Davis and Joan Crawford tangle for the limelight (much like their careers) throughout, attempting to out perform one another in each scene. Hilarious and horrific, the narrative of two fading actress reaching for that one last gasp of stardom is a thrilling ride.

108. V For Vendetta (2005) - Director: James McTeigue; starring Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Stephen Rea and John Hurt. I remember reading an interview prior to seeing V For Vendetta, in which Alan Moore took it upon himself to denounce any involvement with the movie, as he does all adaptations of his comics, as he feels they were written for that format only. However, after dismissing his words of warning, I was instead blown away by The Wachowski's and James McTeigue's vision of England, and the style in which it was achieved. Cool special effects, fantastic performances from both Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman, all nicely interweaved within Moore's dialogue enabled the movie to stand out amongst other comic book adaptations. It may not have been a total translation of Moore's work, but honestly, I think it was probably for the best, because as Moore stated, his book was never meant for the media of film, while this version was absolutely perfect.

107. Irma La Douce (1963) – Director: Billy Wilder; starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine. There's something about the combination of Wilder, Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine which always seems to strike comedic gold. I don't know if it's Wilder's scripts which seem to time the laughs to perfection, whilst also maintaining a riveting narrative, or if it's the chemistry between Lemmon and MacLaine which makes them so endearing. Or maybe it’s a combination of all of them. Nevertheless, this adaptation of a play regarding a well to do ex-cop and a prostitute, and his attempts to remove her from that life by paying for her himself is a true delight to watch, I find upon every viewing I can't help but laugh all the way through.

106. The Dark Knight (2008) – Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Gary Oldman and Michael Caine. If Christopher Nolan proved he could reinvent an iconic comic book character with a fascinating origin story in Batman Begins; with The Dark Knight he took one step further and proved it is certainly possible to continue this theme and make a brilliant sequel. From its opening breathtaking scene to its climactic face off between Batman and Heath Ledger's awesome Joker, the movie is a roller coaster ride of emotions, brilliant cinematography and iconic characters. It has also changed how comic book movies of the future are made, and what further proof do you need as to how great this movie is than that!

105. Raging Bull (1980) – Director: Martin Scorcese; starring Robert DeNiro, Cathy Moriarty and Joe Pesci. I can't profess to being a huge fan of Scorcese, as while I appreciate most of his movies artistically, and own a couple of DVDs, I just never seem to “love” much of his work. However, this is my favourite movie of his, as it is a movie which I found really delved into the mind of Jake LaMotta, exploring the motives behind the lead character's actions to brutal effect, not to mention some of the most effective action scenes I've ever witnessed. The domestic scenes bring these emotions out of the ring also, but pack just as much if not more of an emotional “punch” as those in it. Stunning cinematography (his use of B/W images is startlingly effective), as well as a career defining performance from DeNiro make this an absolute “must-watch”.

104. Volver (2006) – Director: Pedro Almodovar; starring Penelope Cruz and Carmen Mora. Pedro Almodovar has a knack for directing female-oriented dramas to absolute perfection, and while I can highly recommend All About My Mother, Bad Education and Talk To Her, for me this was the culmination of those efforts, in which he assembled a team of some of the finest Spanish actors and delivered a fascinatingly layered ghost story which twists and turns to its finale, all the while maintaining a thought provoking drama which either sex can relate to.

103. Heavenly Creatures (1996) – Director: Peter Jackson; starring Kate Winslet, Melanie Lynskey and Sarah Peirse. When assembling this list I wasn't quite sure what my favourite Peter Jackson movie was. I'm a big fan of his excessive, over the top antics employed in the likes of Brain Dead and The Frighteners, whilst I also recognize how his directing abilities have matured with the LOTR trilogy. I guess his subtle marriage of the two styles is what enabled Heavenly Creatures to come out on top, as the surreal fantasy mixed with a complex portrayal of the relationship between two young killers in mid 20th century New Zealand is a fascinating, if horrific, watch, built upon a brooding, haunting atmosphere and displaying an inspiring Kate Winslet in her earliest role.

102. City Of God (2002) – Directors: Fernando Meirelles and Katia Lund; starring Alexandre Rodrigues and Alice Braga. I remember reading about this just when I started taking an interest in Latin cinema, and following my enjoyment of Alfonso Cuaron's Amores Perros, I thought I should seek out this gripping story of life in the slums of Rio. Upon watching it I was mesmerized by how brilliantly the narrative unfolds within each chapter, and at such a momentous pace. It is at times shocking (it could easily be a Brazilian Scarface) but always emotionally engaging, which I found remarkable for a directorial debut.

101. Jurassic Park (1993) – Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern, and Jeff Goldblum. Back in 1993, I remember this movie being released to a huge fanfare, and we queued up around the block to get in to see it while on holiday somewhere in Cornwall. We eventually got in and, being more than a little obsessed with dinosaurs at the time, I found this movie to be just as jaw dropping as Sam Neill and Laura Dern were on their first sighting of a brontosaurus. There are so many iconic moments; the horrific opening scene, the awe and wonder of the discovery, and then the rollercoaster ride which followed proved that this was one of the greatest summer blockbusters since Jaws. And all this over an overgrown turkey!

transformers

110. The Wackness (2008) – Director: Jonathan Levine; starring Ben Kingsley, Josh Peck and Famke Janssen. The Wackness is filled with laughs, but at the same time its a really mature drama. Ben Kingsley is top notch here and Josh Peck shows off his acting skill as a troubled teenage pot dealer in the 90's in New York City. A really overlooked and underrated film.

109. Super Troopers (2001) – Director: Jay Chandrasekhar; starring Jay Chandrasekhar, Erik Stolhanske, Paul Soter and Kevin Heffernan. Super Troopers, which is easily Broken Lizard's best effort, is absolutely hysterical. They know make to stupid and clever humor work tremendously. A ton of laugh-out-loud moments and a truly wonderful comedy.

108. Ray (2004) – Director: Taylor Hackford; starring Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington and Regina King. Ray is the best music biopic I have ever seen (though I haven't seen The Doors). Jamie Foxx gives a career-defining performance as Ray Charles. This film brings Ray Charles' life to the screen with great attention to detail from director Taylor Hackford. Even as a non-fan of Ray Charles, I still loved this film.

107. The Italian Job (2003) – Director: F. Gary Gray; starring Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, Edward Norton and Jason Statham. One of the better remakes I have ever seen. The cast is perfect and this just a plain fun and well made action flick. It also contains one of the best car chases in movie history.

106. There's Something About Mary (1998) – Directors: the Farrelly Brothers; starring Ben Stiller, Cameron Diaz and Matt Dillon. Crude, rude and funny as hell, There's Something About Mary is one of the Farrelly Brothers’ finest comedies. A lot of memorable scenes that always me laugh my ass off, and I will never look at "hair gel" in the same way ever again.

105. American Pie (1999) – Director: Paul Weitz; starring Jason Biggs, Seann William Scott and Eugene Levy. Another modern-ish teen comedy classic. The original American Pie had a great ensemble cast and was a raunchy good time. A lot of memorable characters, such as Stifler and Finch, make the film ever better.

104. Pootie Tang (2001) – Director: Louis C.K.; starring Chris Rock, Wanda Sykes and Lance Crouther. I am prepared to take heat for this pick, but I don't really care. I am a big fan of stupid comedy and few do it better than Pootie Tang. Louis C.K and Chris Rock do a brilliant job handling the script and directing duties, they made this film exactly how it should be made. A lot of laughs to be had here and there is one sequence involving Chris Rock and a gorilla that is one of my personal favorite scenes in any comedy. Bottom Line: I love Pootie Tang.

103. Jaws (1975) – Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw. Jaws is a classic,even 30+ years later. It has withheld the test of time mainly because it's so damn suspenseful. I was not scared to go in the water afterwards, but back in the 70's I can see why it had that effect. Jaws is an ageless flick that is beyond memorable.

102. Hoosiers (1986) – Director: David Anspaugh; starring Gene Hackman, Barbara Hershey and Dennis Hopper. I pretty much always love inspirational sports films, and Hoosiers has always been one of my favorites. It's truly inspiring and features a likeable group of characters. Gene Hackman is amazing as the coach and pours every ounce of himself into the performance. Hoosiers always makes you want to stand up and cheer.

101. Austin Powers In Goldmember (2002) – Director: Jay Roach; starring Mike Myers, Beyonce Knowles and Seth Green. The third installment of the great Austin Powers franchise has always been my favorite of the series. Dr.Evil's quotes are there best here and I still rattle them off to this day. Michael Caine is a dynamite addition as Austin's father. I really hope they make another Austin Powers eventually, but if not, at least they went out on top.

More to come.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time Prelim: #110-#101

Post by Shrykespeare »

Continuing...

englishozzy

110. Kill Bill Vol.1&2 (2003-2004) – Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Daryl Hannah, Lucy Liu and Michael Madsen. A pair of films that lack when watched alone but together make for one kick-ass bitch.

109. Insomnia (2002) – Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank. Nolan brings out some amazing performances from Pacino and Williams, and shows he is the most up-and-coming director of our generation.

108. Full Metal Jacket (1987) – Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Matthew Modine, Adam Baldwin, Vincent D’Onofrio and R. Lee Ermey. Possibly one of Stanley Kubrick's underrated film, Full Metal Jacket gives us a powerful full blown attack of the verbal destruction an Army Sergeant can create.

107. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) – Director: Robert Zemeckis; starring Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd, Charles Fleischer and Kathleen Turner. A brilliant blend of animation and live action that arguably kicked off this particular genre. A funny and emotional film (and I think I still harbor some feelings towards Jessica Rabbit :s).

106. Alien (1979) – Director: Ridley Scott; starring Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt and Harry Dean Stanton. If there was ever a film that scared me the most when I was a kid, it was this one. It took me a few years to bring up the courage to watch the sequel but this film will always be No.1 in my mind.

105. Sin City (2005) – Directors: Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez; starring Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke, and Jessica Alba. A tribute to the classic noir films, Rodriguez indulges every man's fantasy with this ultra-violent flick based on a Frank Miller comic.

104. Blade Runner (1982) – Director: Ridley Scott; starring Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer and Sean Young. A true cult film, that garnered its reputation after its theatrical release. A defining sci-fi film that looks beyond its year of release.

103. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) – Director: Milos Forman; starring Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher and Danny DeVito. A film that spent so long in development hell and yet still managed to claw its way onto every Top film lists on the Internet. Amazing set pieces and fabulous acting performances make this film a classic for a long time to come.

102. Inception (2010) – Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Ellen Page. A stand-out film of 2010 and could possibly break into my Top 100 after a second viewing. From the creative mind of Nolan comes this physics-defying, completely original concept that blows your mind upon viewing.

101. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) – Director: Tim Burton; starring Danny Elfman, Chris Sarandon and Catherine O’Hara. A Tim Burton film in every essence, and his first foray into stop-motion. Visually delightful and actually improved when released in 3D.

Ron Burgundy

110. Beavis & Butthead Do America (1996) - Director: Mike Judge & Yvette Kaplan; starring Mike Judge, Bruce Willis and Demi Moore. It’s funny that this film made the list ahead of the 3 big cartoons, South Park: The Movie, The Simpsons and Family Guy, even though I rank those shows above Beavis and Butthead. Love the intro too.

109. Spy Hard (1996) – Director: Rick Friedberg; starring Leslie Nielsen, Nicollette Sheridan, Charles Durning and Marcia Gay Harden. A bit of guilty pleasure, I used to really love Leslie Nielsen when he did this, the Naked Guns and Wrongfully Accused. But sadly he didn’t do anything of note until Scary Movie 3 or something.

108. The Salton Sea (2002) - Director: D.J Caruso; starring Val Kilmer, Vincent D’Onofrio and Peter Saarsgard. The reason I liked this so much is because of its originality, complemented by some fine acting and a well rounded cast.

107. Aladdin (1992) – Director: Ron Clements and John Musker; starring Robin Williams, Scott Weinger, and Linda Larkin. If there was ever a sentimental movie, it would be this for me. Robin Williams mastered his role as the Genie. The scene where Aladdin gets the magic lamp is priceless. It’s a classic Disney film.

106. Chicken Run (2000) – Director: Peter Lord and Nick Park; starring Mel Gibson, Julia Sawalha, and Miranda Richardson. I love Wallace and Gromit, and this is pretty much the same. Just imagine, if chickens knew were like this! No more KFC. Entertaining and funny.

105. A Clockwork Orange (1971) – Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Malcolm McDowell and Patrick Magee. The first Kubrick film I ever watched. Ill never forget some of the scenes in this film, and the ending is one of the best in history (for me).

104. Two Hands (1999) – Director: Gregor Jordan; starring Heath Ledger and Bryan Brown. I still have this on VHS, and can remember the night I watched it. Heath Ledger’s first lead movie, which led to 10 Things I Hate About You, and the rest is history.

103. Rounders (1998) - Director: John Dahl; starring Edward Norton, Matt Damon and John Malkovich. Edward Norton is one of my favourite actors, and yep he appears again on my list soon.

102. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - Director: Gore Verbinski; starring: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightly and Geoffrey Rush. Johnny Depp became Box Office gold with this movie, and you can see why.

101. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (2007) - Director: Jake Kasdan; starring: John C Reilly and Tim Meadows. I didn’t expect this comedy gold when I saw it for the first time. Repeat viewings made this a fave. And I just love Tim Meadows’ character in this flick too.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'll have a read through these tomorrow and comment, and aslo post mine (sorry for the delay Shryke!). Some great choices, and already I see SS having a similar taste to mine, with three of his almost-made-its making my Top 100

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi

110. The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) - Director: Orson Welles; starring Joseph Cotten, Dolores Costello, Anne Baxter, Tim Holt and Agnes Moorhead. Orson Welles manages to do what many filmmakers fail to do following up his masterpiece Citizen Kane with a film just as good. Like Citizen Kane, the film focuses on the decline of power and wealth but with a family instead of one man. However, this film suffered almost one hour of cuts before it was released. The loss (and eventual destruction) of this material is one of the biggest crimes of American cinema.

109. Day for Night (1973) - Director: Francois Truffaut; starring Jacqueline Bisset, Valentina Cortese, Dani, and Nathalie Baye. Francois Truffaut’s tribute to filmmaking, this is probably his second finest film (the first will appear later). It combines that Truffaut style that we all know and love with the magic of making movies. It also goes inside to show us how Truffaut works. Not surprisingly, this was his most successful film at the box office.

108. American Graffiti (1973) - Director: George Lucas; starring Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, Charles Martin Smith and Cindy Williams. Before Star Wars and Happy Days, this little movie came about and set up the future of film and television. The film is like stepping into a dream world of fast cars, rocking music and cool people and in the process learning a few things about life. This is the definitive film about coming-of-age and its message will stick with you for years to come.

107. Aliens (1986) - Director: James Cameron; starring Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen, Carrie Henn, Paul Reiser and Bill Paxton. After Alien, you think a sequel would follow the same formula made for a quick buck. But no, James Cameron comes and makes a sequel that far surpasses the original by being totally different in approach and making the Alien universe a kick-ass battle between humans and aliens. Ellen Ripley goes through some of the best character development even in a sequel and every other character is well acted and written. James Cameron certainly knows how to get an audience.

106. Full Metal Jacket (1987) - Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Matthew Modine, R. Lee Ermey, Vincent D’Onofrio, Adam Baldwin and Arliss Howard. The Vietnam experience as seen by Stanley Kubrick. Dark, brutal and often graphic, Kubrick’s approach shows that not only war is hell, but so is everything before and after it. The only survivors are the people who cannot be broken by the experience. Also, D’Onofrio and Ermey give Oscar-worthy performances (despite only being in the first half of the film).

105. The Terminator (1984) - Director: James Cameron; starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, Linda Hamilton, Lance Henriksen and Paul Winfield. Before Terminator 2 created an epic vision of the apocalypse, James Cameron told the story of its beginnings in this neo-noir that is a gripping and tense film. Schwarzenegger is a terrifying villain and Michael Biehn is a cool badass as the hero. It is also a very intelligent film, unlike most sci-fi films today with a meaningful message.

104. Five Easy Pieces (1970) - Director: Bob Rafelson; starring Jack Nicholson, Karen Black, Billy Green Bush, Fannie Flagg and Sally Struthers. This film shows us the incredible acting ability of Jack Nicholson and his effect on New Hollywood. Here, playing a piano maestro who leaves the world of privilege to work at an oil rig, Nicholson does some of his finest acting and displays the immense talent that we would later go on to see in nearly every movie afterwards. Also, you can familiarize yourself with his character’s dysfunctional family since whose family isn’t dysfunctional?

103. Seven Samurai (1954) - Director: Akira Kurosawa; starring Toshiro Mifune, Takashi Shimura and Keiko Tsushima. The film runs three-and-a-half hours but it’s no surprise why this is called Kurosawa’s masterpiece by many. A simple story of a gang of misfits defending a village is defined by its epic scope and some fine acting and direction. This film also gave us the Toshiro Mifune we all came to love as a cool action hero.

102. City Lights (1931) - Director: Charlie Chaplin; starring Charlie Chaplin and Virginia Cherrill. Chaplin’s finest film, it is a beautiful romantic comedy about Chaplin falling in love with a blind girl and the obstacles he’ll go over to win her love. The movie is very cute and it shows us why we cared so much about the Little Tramp. He was us in a way.

101. M*A*S*H (1970) - Director: Robert Altman; starring Elliott Gould, Donald Sutherland, Tom Skerritt, Sally Kellerman and Robert Duvall. Before the show M*A*S*H, there was the movie. Based on the book of the same name, this movie on the Korean War (but somehow also being an allegory for the Vietnam War) is hilarious and a great contrast of the serious war movies often seen every Christmas. Gould and Sutherland are a great pair and Altman’s direction is very fine, showing off his ability for dialogue and directing large casts. A must for fans of war movies and the show M*A*S*H.

Chienfantome

110. Finding Nemo (2003) – Director: Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich; starring Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres and Alexander Gould. There are not many animated films in my list. This is the first, the Pixar film I most enjoyed in theaters. It maybe more childish, but it is so well-crafted, so well-written. I get a kick out of that film.

109. Serpico (1973) – Director: Sidney Lumet; starring Al Pacino, John Randolph and Jack Kehoe. This is the kind of American films I love from the 70’s. Brutally honest cinema, political background, great performance by Pacino.

108. Everything is Illuminated (2005) – Director: Liev Schreiber; starring Elijah Wood and Eugene Hutz. This is one of my favourite films from US independent cinema those past few years. It is an immensely funny and incredibly emotional journey through Eastern Europe and History. It reminded me of Kusturica’s style. I cannot wait to see Schreiber get back behind the camera one day.

107. Secret Sunshine (2007) – Director: Lee Chang Dong; starring Jeon Do Yeon and Song Kang Ho. This is one of my favourite directors working today. Secret Sunshine features one of the most amazing feminine performances of the last few years, in a powerful drama about loss and grief. This is melodramatic in the best possible way. Each film by Korean director Lee is one of the year’s best in my opinion.

106. Last of the Mohicans (1992) – Director: Michael Mann; starring Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe and Wes Studi. I remember perfectly the first time I saw this film. I was barely 11, my sister and I just got back from our holidays in the south of France, we had just spent 10 hours in a car, and our mom took us to Last of the Mohicans. I was soooo tired, I thought I was gonna fall asleep quickly. I never have. It was a mind blowing adventure for the kid I was, and I have watched it so many times as a teen, I can only think fondly of this epic film.

105. The Wizard of Oz (1939) – Director: Victor Fleming; starring Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley and Bert Lahr. Another one of my childhood’s favourite films. Such a classic for a kid, you laugh, you shiver, you scream, you cry, so many emotions.

104. Rear Window (1954) – Director: Alfred Hitchcock; starring James Stewart and Grace Kelly. Hiiiitchock ! What can I say about this film? What’s the word in English for the films that take place in an enclosed space? In France we way “huis clos”. Rear Window is one of the best “huis clos” ever filmed.

103. The Mist (2007) – Director: Frank Darabont; starring Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, Laurie Holden and Andre Braugher. This is one of the most impressive U.S. films of the last few years. It is dark, it is chilling. The ending of this film is probably the boldest of American cinema lately. It almost traumatized me, in a very good way. Darabont is a very interesting director I would like to see more of.

102. Adieu Poulet (1975) – Director: Pierre Granier-Deferre; starring Lino Ventura and Patrick Dewaere. If you wanted to have some titles to discover French cinema, you will have some on my list, and this is a first one you can note. It’s a police investigation with a political background, very pessimistic. It features one of my favourite French actors, the late Lino Ventura, and Patrick Dewaere, an terrific actor who died way too young.

101. Schindler’s list (1993) – Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and Ben Kingsley. This is an important film, a very, very important, cinematographically, historically, and way it can be. Spielberg is a one of a kind for sure. Who else in Hollywood would have had the balls and the talent to make such a film? The fact it ends up just outside the Top 100 is strange, but that’s how it is, folks!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Some thoughts....

SS, I definitely like your taste the most, and I must rewatch both Brick and Heavenly Creatures, as they're film I really enjoyed first time around. I still despise V for Vendetta, though ;)

Chien, I now must watch Adieu Poulet and Secret Sunshine! I'm surprised Schlinder's List is so low on your list, but at least it's there! Serpico is good but far from the best the 1970's gritty drama had to offer. Surprised to see Last of the Mohicans there, but glad to see The Mist.

Bousch, your quality choices impressed me. Although I always debate with people about The Magnificent Ambersons. It's not a good film, and there's some awful character development and performances. Sure, you can argue that they could have been addressed by the full cut, but somehowthat feels like an excuse to me.

Englishozzy, you've also some great pics, and I totally agree with you making Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 into a single film. Insomnia, however, was almost the cure for the condition. You should check out the vastly superior original.

Ron and Tranny: Some good (A Clockwork Orange, There's Something about Mary), some not (Pirates of the Caribbean, Austin Powers 3).

Shryke.... hmmm.. there's only one film in that list I actually like. I'm hoping that your Top 100 will be vastly superior ;).
Last edited by numbersix on October 28th, 2010, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

On Shryke:

Wow, Vantage Point? Seriously? I felt it was nothing more than 90 minutes of xenophobia disguised as a Rashomon imitator.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote: Shryke.... hmmm.. there's only one film in that list I actually like.
I assume you're talking about Inception.
I'm hoping that your Top 100 will be vastly superior ;).
Maybe not VASTLY, but there will be a few good ones.

Buscemi wrote: On Shryke:

Wow, Vantage Point? Seriously? I felt it was nothing more than 90 minutes of xenophobia disguised as a Rashomon imitator.
You never know going in which films will give you a rush of adrenaline and which ones won't. This one did, and still does. That's all I need to include it.

Wow, I expected to get pelted for picking Death Race more than Vantage Point...

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Some interesting choices so far, quite a few great movies which have missed the cut, and a few which are in my own top 100.

Out of Shyke's list so far it was nice to see Short Circuit. I loved that movie as a kid, I remember getting that and Batteries Not Included out from the video store in one weekend, they were movies I continued to rent over and over again. Probably a nostalgia trip (and don't worry, I have more than my own fair share of those on my list!), but cool to see nevertheless. Also interesting to see we both had Jurassic Park just miss the cut, that is a great movie. Otherwise the only other movies I remotely liked were Trading Places, Vantage Point (and Boussh, I don't really get the xenophobia comments, there were characters of all races who were both the bad guys and the good guys. I was very much inspired by Rashomon though, which isn't particularly a bad thing), and Inception, though none of those are nowhere near my own top 100. And the likes of Deja Vu and Death Race: Oh dear...

And I don't think Inception is the one movie six likes, more likely Jurassic Park.

Wasn't much to like from Transformers list, apart from Jaws and There's Something About Mary, while Jamie Foxx put in a decent performance in Ray. The modern Italian Job isn't a patch on the original, which is the eptiome of cool. And I found The Wackness to be a little bit meh, I'm afraid, just didn't stand out at all.

to be continued....

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Here's where I see the xenophobia in Vantage Point: nearly every good guy is a white American while nearly every bad guy is a foreign terrorist trying to murder the President. The movie squanders a good concept (the President having a decoy to be his mouthpiece while the President is really planning dirty work at home) in favor of creating a "Americans good, foreigners bad" concept in the worst way possible (every character is a one-dimensional American Mary Sue or an villainous ethnic stereotype). In terms of subtlety, it makes Rambo: First Blood Part II look like the most subtle thing ever made.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Sounds just like my interpretation of Taken, to me Boosch ;) Haven't seen Vantage Point so can't comment.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here are a couple more lists to tear apa... erm, evaluate.

numbersix

I’ve divided my “10 that didn’t make it” into two categories. The first is a list of 5 recent films I’ve seen only once or twice and may make it into my Top 100 after another viewing. Then the second group are just five great films that came so close.

110. Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) – Director: Guillermo del Toro; starring Ivana Baquero and Sergi Lopez. Amid all those tired and kid-friendly fantasy movies came this stunning Spanish film by Hellboy director Del Toro. What I love about this film is its central theme of the importance of fantasy, for it very much shapes the moral choices made in reality. A brilliant film I need to re-watch badly.

109. Revanche (2008) – Director: Gotz Spielmann; starring Johannes Krisch and Ursula Strauss. The most recently watched of the film that made my Top 110, this was another surprise. A slow and deliberate tale of revenge that does its best not to focus on plotting and twists, but rather show the psychical effect on its characters, and also points to ways of working through such a destructive urge. Johannes Thanheiser delivers a beautiful performance as the protagonist’s father.

108. Up (2009) – Directors: Pete Docter and Bob Peterson ; starring Ed Asner, Jordan Nagai and Christopher Plummer. Probably the most powerful of Pixar’s movies, both in its ability to make us laugh (the Doberman with the broken voice device had me rolling in laughter every time) and, most importantly, feel (anyone who watching the opening minutes of the film will understand). Without doubt this is one of Pixar’s highlights.

107. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007) – Director: Julian Schnabel; starring Matthieu Amalric and Emmanuelle Seigner. When entering the theatre I expected another drab “disability film” but through the inspirational tale and Schnabel’s superb direction it became a wonderfully expressive film about that human need to create, even in the most difficult of circumstances. Poignant, occasionally funny, and deeply moving.

106. Sideways (2004) – Director: Alexander Payne; starring Paul Giamatti, Virginia Madsen and Thomas Haden Church. When I first watched this I somewhat dismissed it as a typical US indie dramedy, complete with brooding protagonist and quirky sidekick. But I re-watched it and it became a moving film about age and failed ambitions. It also helps that Giamatti gives arguably the most perfect performance of the last decade, with every line delivered with perfect. Perhaps a third viewing will propel it into my Top 100.

105. Being There (1979) – Director: Hal Ashby; starring Peter Sellers and Shirley MacLaine. An excellent political and social satire that would never be made in these times of nervous studio heads. “Chancey Gardener” is a rather simple man mistaken for a profound man that ends up with him shooting up the ladder of political influence. It mocks those whose feet are so far from the ground that they interpret everything with their social standards despite how ridiculous they may seem. The closing moments will forever be debated. It’s also Sellers’ final movie, and he ended on a high note.

104. The Thing (1982) – Director: John Carpenter; starring Kurt Russell, Keith David and Wilford Brimley. I’ve always respected Carpenter for his unique vision, and ability to turn every scene into a claustrophobic moment of tension. This is his highlight, a remake of a 50’s B-Movie improved in every way. No longer does the alien entity represent Communism, but rather the fear of AIDS, a disease many believe could be transmitted through touch. Not only do I love this film for its imaginative creature design, but also for the self-awareness of its characters (“You GOTTA be fucking kidding” Palmer exclaims as a head of one of his colleagues sprouts legs and scuttles off), making it all the more believable.

103. Stalker (1979) – Director: Andrei Tarkovsky; starring Aleksandr Kaidanovsky and Anatoli Solonitsyn. Tarkovsky has been accused of being a maker of “slow” films, and they certainly aren’t brief, but in Stalker his dream-like direction induces a sort of philosophical stupor. Like Solaris, it’s a profound film about unexplained events in which faith (of any kind) is the only way to negotiate life.

102. Ace in the Hole (1951) – Director: Billy Wilder; starring Kirk Douglas and Jan Sterling. Wilder’s follow-up to Sunset Boulevard was a critical and commercial failure – proof that neither mean anything, even in these days of Rotten Tomatoes and Box Office Mojos. Its problem was being ahead of its time, as it’s a powerful and bitter satire on the corruption of the media and our destructive need for recognition. Thank you, Criterion, for bring this out on DVD (and it’s worth watching for the brilliant interview with Wilder).

101. The Fog of War (2003) – Director: Errol Morris; starring Robert McNamara. The only documentary to make my list (I’m such a philistine, I know), this is perhaps the most simple yet effective one I’ve seen. McNamara not only speaks of the wrongs of Vietnam, but most importantly he speaks of the ways conflict SHOULD be approached, and sadly it seems the US government failed to heed his wise warnings.

Banks

110. Harlem Nights (1989) - Director: Eddie Murphy; starring Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx and Danny Aiello. Eddie Murphy recreated the Harlem of the swinging 1920’s superbly, assembling a dynamite comedy cast (himself, Pryor, Redd Foxx, Arsenio Hall, and Della Reese, who easily steals the movie as the tough broad who gets in a classic back alley fistfight with Murphy) that keeps the movie together, even when the story doesn’t seem to know where it’s going.

109. Running Scared (2006) - Director: Wayne Kramer; starring Paul Walker, Vera Farmiga and Cameron Bright. I think I might be the only one with a Paul Walker movie on my list, unless somebody REALLY loves Eight Below. This (along with maybe the first Fast and Furious) is probably the best thing Walker has ever done, playing a gun-hider for the mob that loses a key weapon and spends the film ducking hitmen out for him and chasing his neighbor’s son who might have the gun in question. This is a prime example of style over substance, but here the substance is enough to keep you enthralled. Just watch the Day-Glo hockey rink torture scene.

108. The Sixth Man (1997) - Director: Randall Miller; starring Marlon Wayans and Kadeem Hardison. Ok….before it starts, let me say that this is a childhood classic and if I remember correctly, was also the first movie that made me cry. I’d like to think Aronofsky somehow caught this movie, saw Wayans’ unexpected great performance, and put him in Requiem For A Dream. Watching his character deal with his brother’s death at first, and then when he has to grow up and stop letting his brother’s ghost help him cheat – he needs to do more like this.

107. Predator 2 (1990) - Director: Stephen Hopkins; starring Danny Glover, Bill Paxton and Gary Busey. I saw this before I ever saw the first Predator, so perhaps that’s why I love this one much, much more than that one. Busey is a great villian, Danny Glover is always good when he’s playing a respectable cop trying to do right, and I still believe a Predator in a big city is so much scarier than one in a jungle setting.

106. Mean Girls (2004) - Director: Mark Waters; starring Lindsey Lohan, Rachel McAdams and Amanda Seyfried. Back when Lohan’s talent shone brighter than her affinity for drunk driving and lesbian affairs, she was on top of the world. She was terrific as the transfer student from Africa who must adjust to American high school life; her rise and fall as a mean girl is eerily reminiscent of Hitler in Downfall (well…maybe not). For some reason, this remains the only screenplay Tina Fey has ever written.

105. Transformers (2007) - Director: Michael Bay; starring Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, and John Turturro. Just try…try and forget that god awful thing that tried to pass as a sequel to the vastly superior Transformers. Big ass robots duking it out, Megan Fox in slo-mo, and “Autobots – ROLL OUT!”. What more do you want? And try to remember how funny Sam’s parents were before they jumped the shark with pot brownies.

104. The Fast and The Furious (2001) - Director: Rob Cohen; starring Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez. Last Paul Walker movie – promise. Back in 2001, you put a couple of nameless models in the driver seats of very, very fast cars while still getting the audience to actually care about these characters and you get a helluva thrill ride that is still enjoyable today.

103. Galaxy Quest (1999) - Director: Dean Parisot; starring Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, and Alan Rickman. Even if I did see these before I ever saw a single frame of any Star Trek movie, it still works as an out-and-out comedy for me – even if I did miss the winks and satire. Making a spoof movie that also stands on its own merits is harder than it looks (just ask Seltzer and Friedberg). Some great turns by Sam Rockwell, Tony Shalhoub and Justin Long, as well as the Big Three.

102. Gran Torino (2008) - Director: Clint Eastwood; starring Clint Eastwood, Bee Vang, and Ahney Her. Easily my favorite directorial effort from Eastwood, this seems to be his only movie with real heart; Changeling, Mystic River, and even Million Dollar Baby all really seem to be pretty “cold” to me. Eastwood, in his last role on screen, is amazing as an old Korean War vet who learns to accept his Asian neighbors
and gets to redeem himself for things he’s done in his past. That theme song is haunting, too.

101. Superbad (2007) - Director: Greg Mottola; starring Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse. The funniest high school movie ever. Superbad has one-liners for days, quotes that me and my friends still pull out of our asses at the most inappropriate times. The movie that gave the world McLovin and made comedy stars out of Cera and Jonah Hill is just drop dead hilarious.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks...

Not a huge amount of similar tastes (I really, really hate Gran Torino), but it's good to see Mean Girls recognised. Hell, I even have a soft spot for Predator 2. It also must be the sweatiest film of all time.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

My take on everybody's lists.

Surfer - yeah, funny that we both have Jurassic Park at #101. I'm glad of your inclusion of VFV and TDK, but those two movies will be very VERY high on my own list. I've seen none of your other picks in their entirety.

Tranny - none of your ten made my list, though I did truly enjoy Ray and Italian Job. Once I got over been terrified of Jaws I just liked it, but I think I've seen it too many times. Didn't care much for TSAM, and I haven't seen the others.

Ozzy - I won't be counting Kill Bill as one unit, I just can't. I've seen every movie on your ten (YES!!) and I like every one of them with the possible exception of Nightmare, which was just so-so for me.

Ron - Three of your picks are on my list. Hated Walk Hard, purposely avoided B&BdA, and Clockwork Orange just disturbs me too damn much.

Boosh - I've only seen your three picks from the 80's, plus M*A*S*H. Good picks all, and two of them are on my own list.

Chien - Loved Nemo, liked Schindler's List, and have seen Wizard of Oz dozens of times. Haven't seen enough of the others to give an opinion.

Six - Quite liked Pan's Labyrinth, liked Up but not as much as most people, and The Thing is on my own list.

Banks - None of your ten made my list, but I seriously considered Galaxy Quest and Gran Torino. Also liked Predator 2, Transformers and Harlem Nights. So-so on F&F and Superbad, haven't seen the others.

Still waiting on Donte, thegreenarrow, Barca, W, NSpan, leestu, Geezer & Geezbro.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Mean Girls: the only movie I ever snuck into without paying. I walked out after fifteen minutes because it was so bad.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

continuing on...

ozzy, that is one fantastic list of movies which just missed your cut, quite a number of those have made my top 100, I can definitely see some similarities in our tastes. In regard to Kill Bill, I just can't really place them together, mainly because to me Vol. 2 is vastly inferior. The first part set the bar so high and Vol.2 just brought it down in my opinion. So bringing them together just makes me appreciate Vol.1 less. As for Insomnia, I've watched both, and enjoyed both. The original didn't feel like it was that much better than Nolan's version, they are both just decent.

Ron, bar A Clockwork Orange that was a list I'd largely avoid. Chien, really decent list. Nice to see some more appreciation for Everything Is Illuminated, I've been passing the dvd round to many friends since I first watched, it's one of those unknown gems which just slip under the radar. Probably Elijah Wood's finest performance too. I'll be looking into Secret Sunshine though, sounds interesting, although I tried to find Adieu Poulet on Amazon and it's nowhere to be found, guess that's one movie I'm gonna struggle to watch despite its appeal.

Boussh, I haven't seen Day For Night or The Magnificent Ambersons but they are both by directors I admire so I'll look into them. Other than that a stellar list a couple of which will make my top 100. Regarding Vantage Point, it doesn't make the America Good concept, as Matthew Fox is a bad guy, while the foreign marksman is only doing so to save his brother, so I think this xenophobic idea is a little overplayed. Of course the political atmosphere in the US probably affected the narrative, but I don't think it over rules the decent movie.

six, largely loved your list, I too watched Revanche recently, and maybe with a few more watches it would find itself higher on my list, it was a very well made movie which had a lasting impression on me. Otherwise, I haven't seen Being There yet, but as a fan of everything I've seen Ashby direct as of yet, I'll keep an eye out for it. Same with Ace In The Hole. In regards to Sideways, I dunno, I've watched it once and it didn't really have much of an impression on me. Otherwise, Pan's, Stalker, Diving Bell and The Thing are all outstanding movies. i agree with you about Tarkovsky though, his style can certainly turn less attentive viewers off, but ultimately I find his movies rewarding enough for the effort.

Banks, to be honest other than Galaxy Quest your list was largely avoidable for me. never watched The Sixth Man though, so may look into that.

phew, looking forward to the more managable lists when we hit the top 100!