Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time Prelim: #110-#101

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time Prelim: #110-#101

Post by numbersix »

I must see Irma La Douce too, as I've seen pretty much every other Billy Wilder movie!
And Leetsu, go out and see City of God. Now!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Okay, here are a few thoughts on those "They just missed the list" films.

Shryke : Inception and Jurassic Park are the only two really worthy films here. Fantastic films.

Surfer : Brick is one of those great little indies that really surprised me by its qualities. V For Vendetta is greatly overrated in my opinion. Irma, Volver, Dark Knight, and Jurassic, excellent films. I'm not a fan of Raging Bull (I know...)

transformers : There's Something about mary and Jaws are quite iconic films of great quality, and Goldmember is the best of the Powers trilogy for sure. I'm not a fan of the rest.

ozzy : Wow, I must say, Wow, there's nothing but great films on your "Just missed" list, Ozzy. It makes me really hopeful for your Top 100.

Ron B : great to see Aladdin and Salton Sea, two films I really like, although they are far from my Top 100.

Buscemi : impressive list of your too. Never seen Ambersons, happy to see "Day For Night" here, one of my favourite Truffaut.

Six : I've never seen Revanche or Stalker, but the rest consists of strong films. I haven't seen Ace in the Hole in ages, I really need to catch it again.

Banks : Love Mean Girls, love Galaxy Quest, love Gran Torino (I knew Six would say he loathes it^^)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Moved City of God to the top of my queue and it's in the post already. That was unexpectedly quick!

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Leestu wrote:Moved City of God to the top of my queue and it's in the post already. That was unexpectedly quick!
You will NOT be disappointed.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

BarcaRulz wrote:
Leestu wrote:Moved City of God to the top of my queue and it's in the post already. That was unexpectedly quick!
You will NOT be disappointed.
Yep. Great, great film.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

City of God - What a great movie! A totally engaging story told in a fascinating way. Hearing about how bad the slums of Rio are is nothing compared to the impact of seeing it portrayed in a movie like this. I was stunned and shocked at times at the extent of the callous disregard for life some of the gangsters have, especially considering it's based on a true story.
I think I will be adjusting my quickfilx queue a lot during this countdown. Today I've added Peeping Tom, and A Woman Under The Influence. Unfortunately Nueve Reinas and both of Chien's French movies aren't available. Shame 'cause I was definitely intrigued by The Best Of Youth.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I have a confession to make, I didn't watch the trailer for Nueve Reinas, and my Spanish is a little rusty, and just went by Barca's review when making my own comment. Anyway, the point is I actually own the movie and watched it a few years ago (haven't gotten around to watching it again since, but will do so soon as it was good), and having checked Quickflix Leestu, you can hire the movie. It's under the English name Nine Queens, so add it. And I promise that since I realised my mistake I have watched every trailer since just to make sure I don't miss a movie I know.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Thanks for that info Surfer. It's now added to my queue.