ShrykeVerse Top Movies of the 80's Countdown

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Re: ShrykeVerse Top Movies of the 80's Countdown

Post by Chienfantome »

Boosh: Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Fantastic film. It made a lasting impression on me when I discovered it as a teen.

JohnErle: Kagemusha (1980)
Was this close to including it myself, but I have only seen it once, such a long time ago.

six: Ran (1985)
Kind of the same as Kagemusha, I considered it, but have only seen it once a long time ago.

StarLord: First Blood (1982)
I grew up thinking all Rambo films were just dumb US propaganda, until I discovered in my twenties First Blood and was so pleasantly surprised. A very good film.

transformers: Caddyshack (1980)
Never seen it, it hasn't really travelled here.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Never heard of it, and was wondering what drew you to it until I saw who is in it.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

You've never heard of it ? That's funny. I've watched it so many times in the 90's. Well, if it ever gets near you !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

28. Ghostbusters (1984)
Here’s one that was cited several times by you guys already. I used to watch this one over and over with my sister when I was a kid, and it remains one hell of a fun film to watch, no matter how outdated the VFX might seem today. So as you probably all know the film, it’s fun to put you the French dubbed trailer. I used to watch it dubbed when I was a kid so you’ll hear the French voices of the characters I grew up with.

Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Boosh: The Terminator (1984)
I've never been a huge fan of Cameron, but the Terminator films are probably his best. I know almost all of you listed this one, but spoiler : it won't appear on my list.

JohnErle: The Man with Two Brains (1983)
I have no idea what this film is.

six: Back to the Future (1985)
A timeless film and every second is a joy, you got that right. A classic.

StarLord: Rocky IV (1985)
I don't like any Rocky film I think, even the first one.

transformers: Field of Dreams (1989)
I considered it for my list, but it's been such a long time I haven't seen it. But it's got this Capra vibe that is so touching. In my memory it's a beautiful film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Luke

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Man with Two Brains was one of Shryke's most hated movies, from what I remember.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

27. To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)
My favorite film of William Friedkin is and always will be Sorcerer. But he’s made one of the best crime films of the 80’s (of the best, period, probably). Detective William Petersen chases counterfeiter Willem Dafoe. And if there’s one thing Friedkin is great at, it’s filming people chasing each other, or something. But it’s just the cherry on the cake here, as Friedkin embraces 80’s LA: the neon, dark bars, the concrete and the wasteland all united to form a profoundly dry, violent and pessimistic film, characteristics that have been long gone in Hollywood.

Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Boosh: Manhunter (1986)
Ha, it's funny, because Manhunter has a lot in common with To Live and Die in LA I think. Two films with a common DNA at least and that both reflect well the crime movies from the 80's, from two directors not so far away from each other.

JohnErle: Dead Ringers (1988)
I think it's a rare Cronenberg film I've never seen, I really need to catch it.

six: The Thin Blue Line (1988)
Another one I've been meaning to watch forever, but never have.

StarLord: Midnight Run (1988)
I've seen it once quite a few years ago and I have a fond memory of it, a very entertaining film.

transformers: Top Secret! (1984)
I've seen it on TV when I was a teen but barely remember it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I just now noticed that you were doing this, Chien. I'm super busy these days, but I'll try to follow along, and if you've already seen my list you know No Way Out was one of my honourable mentions. It was one of the roles that made Costner a star, and that sex scene in the back of the limo was more than a little scandalous at the time.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I'm glad I'm not the only fan of No Way Out over here, John !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

26. Empire of the Sun (1987)
There are 3 directors in my Top 30 I chose two films from. Spielberg is one of them. Empire of the Sun is the kind of film I’m a sucker for. Those big Hollywood epics Hollywood doesn’t really make anymore, or badly like Napoleon. Films that offer adventure, history, characters, emotion. And Empire of the Sun is such a great example of the genre, with the storytelling talent of Spielberg, putting us through that young boy’s journey through war. Our heart and emotion pulsating all the way through it. I think I’ve never seen Empire of the Sun on the big screen, but if I had, maybe the film would be higher on my list.

Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Boosh: Ran (1985)
Like Kagemusha, it's a film I need to revisit because I had seen it a looooong time ago when I had started taking an interest in Asian cinema.

JohnErle: The Fabulous Baker Boys (1989)
Another one I haven't seen in ages, but I really liked it then, and like you say, I'm pretty sure it's as good as we remember it to be.

six: Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
I actually think I've never seen this Allen film. I'll need to catch it some day.

StarLord: Platoon (1986)
I contemplated having this one on my list at some point, but didn't in the end. One of Stone's best for sure.

transformers: Lethal Weapon (1987)
This one too, I thought about listing it. They made too many sequels, but this first one is a classic in the buddy crime film genre.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I like Empire of the Sun a lot, although I prefer the book, as it's harsher

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I've never read the book, but I'm noting it's worth it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

25. My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
The trace of Miyazaki’s cinema is immense, probably the greatest film director in animation, where studios are too often bigger than the filmmakers behind the films. The Boy and the Heron turned out to be my favorite Miyzazaki film since Howl’s Moving Castle, while I thought the best was behind him for a long time. I discovered Miyzaki quite late, with Mononoke, and it was released late in France. Same for Totoro. The film has become symbolic because of its titular character, but it’s aoften overlooked because too quickly considered more children-oriented than his best features. Yet it’s a magical film that unites the child and the adult in every person (at least every adult). It sometimes feels like a silent film that conveys so much with very little dialogue in it.

Fluctuat nec mergitur