ShrykeVerse Top Movies of the 80's Countdown

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: ShrykeVerse Top Movies of the 80's: #30-2

Post by JohnErle »

Grave Of The Fireflies - Never saw it. See previous comments re: Studio Ghibli/anime.

Midnight Run - Love it, but it's an honourable mention. And welcome aboard.

Predator - Here's one more I can scratch off my honourable mention list. It's getting shorter by the round.

Temple Of Doom - It was always my least favourite of the original trilogy, but I don't remember much about it. Watching that trailer I'm reminded that the rope bridge scene was awesome, and Kate Capshaw's constant screaming was only slightly less annoying than Tanya Roberts in A View To A Kill.

Heathers - I loved it at the time, but it's hard to say how I'd feel if I ever watched it again.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Boosh: John Wick led me to seek this one out as Chad Stahelski has repeatedly cited its influence on the series. This proved to be a huge gift as the movie absolutely fucking rips. Load of style, incredible shootouts and Chow Yun-fat has never been a bigger badass on screen.

John: Great Siskel and Ebert clip. Watching those two talk about movies reminds why I love them so much. Anyways, I've never seen Body Heat, but I do love a good erotic thriller, so I'll definitely seek it out.

Ron: It's fine and all, but I think it's easily the second worst in the series behind V. Mr. T and Hulk Hogan are both distractingly awful antagonists.

six: I can't think about this movie without focusing on the poor S.O.B. that had to carry Daniel Day-Lewis around on set in between takes. Hopefully he got a private thank you or I'm sorry after the shoot or he let him hold his Oscar or some shit because that dude went to great lengths to accommodate his method acting bullshit. This fixation also led me to forget that Jim Sheridan directed it.

StarLord: Haven't seen it.

Boosh: Haven't seen it.

John: Wow, another edition of "I've only seen the remake of this 80's movie!". Interesting to learn that the Peter Vincent character is a washed-up horror actor in the original. Although he ultimately serves a similar purpose in the story, they made him an alcoholic Vegas stage magician who claims to masquerade as a vampire hunter in the remake. David Tennant's performance as Vincent was the best part of the movie, so at least they have in that common.

Ron: A terrific buddy action comedy that will be appearing on my list very soon.

six: Most ridiculous mainstream movie of the 80's?!?!? Bloodsport came out 8 months later man!

This won't come as a shock, but I adore this movie and I'll leave it at that for now.

StarLord: Agree with six on this one. Easily the weakest of the original trilogy, but not without its fun sequences and the horror-y elements are gnarly as hell for a movie that has counts kids among its audience.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I went into the remake of Fright Night with low expectations, but I found it surprisingly well-made, and different enough from the original to stand on its own. I vastly prefer the original, of course, but the remake is at least worth seeing.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bloodsport might be about average in terms of ridiculousness from a Cannon film. That studio thrived on ridiculousness.

As for the Fright Night remake, it felt to me too much like a Buffy episode stretched out to feature-length.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Boosh: Return of the Jedi (1983)

JohnErle: Brazil (1985)
I probably don't have to explain why Brazil is on my list, but I feel the need to justify why it doesn't rank higher. As visually stunning and entertaining as it is, I think Kim Griest's character is quite under-developed, so Sam Lowry's obsession with her doesn't quite ring true, and the Walter Mitty dream sequences are hardly an original idea. Despite its flaws, it's an absolute must-see.

Ron: Angel Heart (1987)

six: Fanny and Alexander (1982)
I’m a little torn on this, as to whether I prefer this as a feature film, or the 5-hour original TV version. But a while ago I was on a long-haul flight. Normally I watch blockbusters like Marvel films on flights, as they’re the perfect blend of watchable enough to distract me form the terror of being thousand of feet in the air, and yet not being so demanding of my brain to induce travel nausea and headaches. But spotting Bergman’s late masterpiece on the list, I left it on just for a few minutes but ended up being so absorbed I devoured the whole thing. It’s a sweeping epic, a beautiful period-drama about two children who move from the warmth of their extended family to the cold world of the bishop who remarries their mother. It’s powerful, full of rich characters and magic, with stunning cinematography. It’s a massive accomplishment for a film-maker whose work was so small and intimate at times.

StarLord: The Blues Brothers (1980)

transformers: When Harry Met Sally.. (1989)
A romantic comedy with romance and comedy?!?!?! What a concept! In all seriousness, this is a home run of a genre piece that's sweet without being corny, loaded with terrific dialogue and features one of the best matched couples in romcom history in Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Hey guys, so glad to be joining you guys for this countdown! Shryke would have loved this one

I'll start at 20, and then catchup on the others as i go.

20+19

Boosh
Grave of the Fireflies
What ranks as a lot of people saddest movie, it is a hard hitting movie and a good one, prob could rewatch it after all these years. 7/10
Return of the Jedi
Pretty great trilogy caper of one of the best trilogies of all time. 9/10

JohnErle
Fright Night
Im 85% sure ive seen this, but prob did not finish it, couldn't remember it being that good. N/A
Brazil
Last movie i cut from my list, so #31 for me, really good movie, some great bits. 8/10

Six
Predator
I fucking love this movie, i mean just look at my thumbnail. 10/10
Fanny and Alexander
Been meaning to watch this one for about 10 years, no excuses now. N/A

Starlord
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Ive tried to rewatch this half a dozen times, only succeeding in finishing it once. Its not a bad movie at all, but the weakest Indi movie for me. 6.5/10
The Blues Brothers
An old fav, if it comes on TV ill probably end up watching the rest. 7/10

Tranny
Heathers
Seen it once and should really try it again, i dont remember it being special. 6/10
When Harry Met Sally
Another late cut from my list, really enjoy this one, seen it at least 4 times. 7.5/10
Last edited by Ron Burgundy on September 30th, 2023, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

30+29

Boosh
Koyaaniqatsi
Ive started watching this once, prob should try it again, but maybe with magic mushrooms. N/A
Full Metal Jacket
Great movie from the greatest director. 9.5/10

Johnerle
Conan the Barbarian
Super enjoyable arnie flick, another one ill leave on if it pops up on TV. 7/10
Kagemusha
One thing i love about these countdown is discovering movies to watch, ive certainly heard of this but it was washed from my memory, putting on the must watch list.

six
After Hours
One thing is for sure, you do have exquisite taste. I considered this for my top as well. 7.5/10
Ran
My friend has urged me to watch this one a few times, i started it but decided to wait until i bought my new big screen TV. Well, i just bought it last month, so to the top of watch list this goes! N/A

Starlord
The Living Daylights
When i first saw this, i didn't like, but when i saw it a few years ago i appreciated it a lot more. 6.5/10
First Blood
One of my favs, great pick. 9.5/10

Tranny
Over the Top
Watched this just a couple of years ago after my father asked to get it for him. I was more than pleasantly surprised, really enjoyed it. 7/10
Caddyshack
I just dont get the love for this movie, i don't find it that funny. 5.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Boosch: The weakest of the original trilogy is still miles better than anything that came after it (or before it?).

John: Agreed on the under-developed female character, but I guess the point is that she's just a dream for poor Sam. An excellent film, and Gilliam's best work.

Ron: Utterly silly stuff, but quite enjoyable in its own, sweaty, hysterical way.

Starlord: Another one I need to revisit, as I loved as a child

Tranny: Definitely one of the greatest rom coms

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Return Of The Jedi - Even as a child, I thought it was too childish. Friggin' Ewoks!

Angel Heart - Love it. If Six thinks this is silly, he should read the trashy novel it was based on. The movie is high art by comparison. And I'm sure this wasn't Alan Parker's intention, but ever since I first watched this movie I've wanted to visit New Orleans. Preferably in the 50s.

Fanny & Alexander - I'd forgotten that Bergman was still alive and working in the 80s. Decent clip, but I seriously doubt I'll ever watch this.

Blues Brothers - Here's one iconic film I've never watched, probably because I saw enough of the Blues Brothers on re-runs of SNL and I never thought they were funny or musically interesting.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bergman was still directing into the 2000's, coming out of retirement to direct 2003's Saraband.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

Catch-up day. The Thing is perhaps the 2nd best horror/sci-fi mix behind only Alien (I consider Aliens an action film), with a great cast, a constant sense of dread, a unique score, and some of the best creature design and practical effects usage ever put to film.

Full Metal Jacket is an unrelenting tale of the Vietnam War with an iconic performance from R. Lee Ermey as the twisted drill sergeant.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is indeed the weakest of the original three, but still a damn fine adventure film with phenomenal set pieces and an edge that makes it unique amongst the Indy films.

The Blues Brothers is a comedy classic with perfect chemistry between John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd.

Lastly, Airplane! is a comedy classic that narrowly missed my list, and I've seen bits and pieces of When Harry Met Sally, but I don't think I've actually sat thru the entire thing. This should probably be corrected, even if I've never been a rom-com person.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Boosh: Paris, Texas (1984)

JohnErle: Dragonslayer (1981)
Apart from a bit of dodgy stop-motion animation late in the film, this dragon is still the most memorable fire-breather I've ever seen on the big or small screen. Much like in Jaws, the director gives only glimpses of the creature for the first hour, and by the time the stop-motion arrives you're so invested in the story that you'll overlook the sudden shift into Ray Harryhausen style FX. Before Peter Jackson brought Middle Earth to life, this was my favourite swords and sorcery movie of all time, and in many ways it still is

Ron: Once Upon a Time in America (1984)

six: The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
Woody Allen’s finest films often didn’t have him in it. Here, it’s a simple tale of a lonely wife who retreats to the cinema for escapism, only to find the character of her favourite movie step into the real world. A romance ensues, but soon the character’s real-life actor turns up and complications ensue. Like many of his great films, it’s both sweet and cynical, and has plenty to say about the difference between fantasy and reality.

StarLord: Back to the Future: Part II (1989)

transformers: Midnight Run (1988)
Martin Brest used the momentum he picked up from Beverly Hills Cop to make an even funner and funnier action comedy. While Brest fills the film with a great sense of constant narrative propulsion and some impressive-staged chase sequences and shootout, its the electric yin-and-yang rapport between Robert De Niro's stoic hardass bounty hunter and Charles Grodin's loudmouth mob accountant on the lam that really pushes this move into excellence.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

#19 and #18:
It was inevitably going to happen since the crop of 80's films I've seen is so small, but it's pretty embarrassing nonetheless: Return of the Jedi is the only film from this bunch that I've seen. Hell, I'd never even heard of Dragonslayer, Fanny and Alexander or Angel Heart before! Paris, Texas is something that's been on my radar for a while, so that will likely be the first of these films that I check out.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Paris, Texas – It's worth seeing, but at no point does it feel like an authentic portrayal of America. It's definitely an outsider's overly pretentious fantasy of America.

Once Upon A Time In America – Also worth seeing, but the short version is a mess, and the long version doesn't really justify its length. Maybe a medium version would have been the answer.

Purple Rose Of Cairo – Haven't seen it an ages, but I rated it 6/10 on IMDb at some point, so it's watchable Woody.

Back To The Future II – I'm pretty sure I'm repeating myself, but I thought it was a frantic mess with none of the heart of the original.

Midnight Run – Love it. Honorable mention.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm guessing you don't have the Blu-ray of Once Upon a Time in America. It's more than 20 minutes longer than the DVD version.