#14 - Night of the Hunter (1955)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

#14 - Night of the Hunter (1955)

Post by NSpan »

Recommended Movie-Club Sandwich: Cape Fear (1962)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: #14 - Night of the Hunter (1955)

Post by NSpan »

Night of the Hunter
Directed by: Charles Laughton & Robert Mitchum
Written by: James Agee & Charles Laughton
Based on a Novel by: Davis Grubb

For all the good things I have to say about this movie, I have to start by saying that--nowadays--this will probably be enjoyed primarily by film-history enthusiasts. As effective as it may have been in 1955, it feels very dated when viewed in 2009. That said, Night of the Hunter is an intense noirish-thriller (bordering on horror at times), and its impact on modern cinema can easily be traced.

Of all the directors who claim to have been heavily influenced by this particular film, I think the similarities resonate most strongly with the Coen brothers and, believe it or not, David Lynch. Thematically, Davis Grubb's story (or, more appropriately, Agee and Laughton's screenplay) looms over some of the Coens' most notable films--including, but not limited to: Raising Arizona, the Big Lebowski, Barton Fink, and O Brother Where Art Thou (a character even sings the melody of "Big Rock Candy Mountain"). From the bodiless heads that introduce the story to the Caligari-esque set pieces, Laughton's eerie imagery casts a long shadow over Lynch's entire oeuvre.

Robert Mitchum's preacher character is the most enduring aspect of the film. Even now, he stands out as an effective and menacing villain. And now I finally get that whole LOVE/HATE tattoo reference that seems to be in just about everything (my favorite being Sideshow Bob's LUV and HÄT tats).. It's also notable that this movie came out 5 years earlier than Psycho--which was lauded for having the audacity to kill off its female lead early in the movie (something Laughton and Mitchum had no problem doing).

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Anyway, without saying too much more about it--who else has seen it or got a chance to see it for Movie Club?

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I watched it last weekend and really enjoyed it. Robert Mitchum's performance being the highlight. My favourite part though, was seeing an elderly lady be one of the strongest personalities in the movie in being able to firstly see through Mitchum and secondly to actually deal with him effectively. Although it may be a bit dated it is still an entertaining movie and some of the things I think it is saying are still relevant today.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I've seen it years ago, and really liked it. Mitchum's character becomes such an unstoppable and shady force that he almost becomes an abstract image of fear (or, if you are to compare the film to No Country for Old Men, violence)- perhaps that's why you make the connection with David Lynch, NSpan?

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Mitchum's character becomes such an unstoppable and shady force that he almost becomes an abstract image of fear)- perhaps that's why you make the connection with David Lynch, NSpan?
Well put. That ominous, lurking MENACE (corporeal or otherwise) seems to be present in nearly all of Lynch's work...