#13 - Delicatessen (1991)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

#13 - Delicatessen (1991)

Post by NSpan »

Recommended Movie-Club Sandwich: A Very Long Engagement (2004)
Last edited by NSpan on November 6th, 2009, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: #13 - Delicatessen (1991)

Post by NSpan »

NSpan wrote:so, this was easily my favorite of (what of i've seen of) Jeunet's work.. still, i think it's somewhat of a misfire.. i always really really want to like his movies, but they never quite come together as well as i had hoped.. his use of unforgettable (and oftentimes disturbing) visuals combined seamlessly with auditory rhythms and melodies is amazing.. the "fixing the bed" scene was hilarious.. but, overall, Jeunet is all style over substance.. to be honest, i'd be curious to know if he would even disagree with that..

all in all, not a "bad" movie.. definitely a treat for the senses--if, perhaps, not for the mind

if this were the first Jeunet film i'd seen, i would have liked it much more.. unfortunately, he seems to recycle a lot of themes and ideas from his own work
numbersix_99 wrote:Anyway, NSpan, I pretty much agree on your assessment. I think Jeunet is a brilliant and vibrant visualist, but it's essentially superficial. I much prefer Amelie, which has heart.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

becs
Marty McFly

Re: #13 - Delicatessen (1991)

Post by becs »

I rewatched this movie over the weekend, and I pretty much echo all your feelings on the topic.
It is very much style of substance, but you can't help but love Jeunet's style. I feel like the film is lacking for having never explained WHY the world is in such a state that people are resorting to cannibalism. I also fail to get the feel of "post apocalyptic" society that is intended, in fact it feels like we have gone into the past rather than the future mostly when I look at the world painted by Jeunet. If taken purely for the story, art, and enjoyment, it is certainly a great film and my favorite of Jeunet's work. I've found Jeunet's films hit me much like a musical, they are interjected with all of these little comedic or choreographed bits (i.e. the bed spring scene you mentioned), that generally interrupt the flow of the film but add to the artistic vision.
I need to check out A Very Long Engagement still though, however I am doubtful that it could improve upon Delicatessen for me as it seems a bit more serious and I generally dislike Audrey Tautou.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte