The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think that should be Papa Borgogna, Ron.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

While we wait for others to get around, here's James Rolfe (The Nerd) and his list of movies he finds overrated.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron and Boosch: yep, totally agree. Its self-conscious script is very irritating.

Tranny: I totally forgot about this one. I should have added it to my list. Empty, fake nostalgia for a past that was (probably) never like this.

Chien: I've half seen this film, and I didn't like what I saw. The "reveal" is soapy, the performances not great.

John: I was tempted to put every Clint film on my list, so naturally I agree with this.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Six: I haven't seen this for a long time, but i remember applauding RBJ aussie accent. Never thought it was held in such high regard, but certainly not low. A bit of a surprise.

Boosh: yep. nice one

Tranny: I recently watch Dazed and Confused, and while it wasn't a smash hit for me, i couldn't pick out as many problems as you. I dont think it was ever going for realism.

Chien: I chucked this one on here, for putting 2 of yours last #. I think its a so-so film overall

John: Yeah, totally over rated.

The Nerd: A couple i agree with a coulpe i dont. Overall, its a well thought out top 10 list
Last edited by Ron Burgundy on December 3rd, 2017, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

Knocked Up (2007)
Yes its a Rom-Com, but one held in high esteem. Sadly it stars two of my least favourite actors/actresses out there and they fail to impress in any way. Seth Rogen just isn't funny, i know many of you here think James Franco is annoying, but Rogen plays the same part day in day out, every movie - and that annoys me wayy more. Also, i thought i liked Judd Apatow, but having a quick skim over his movies, i was surprised to see that i didn't rate even a single movie very highly.
My rating: 3/10

Six (#6)

Gone Baby Gone/The Town/Argo (2007/2010/2012)

Oh, Ben Affleck. Possibly the worst actor of our generation. He just stands around with that same expression, struggling to do more with his face than his default gesture, which is the look someone has when they don’t’ understand something but doesn’t want to let on to anyone. His stock was starting to fade until he started directing, making 3 films which critics loved, and ultimately the general public too. But they’re all vastly over-rated, and often for the same reason. They all try to be somewhat gritty films, but are all guilty of ridiculous contrivances that are difficult, if not impossible to swallow. The Stockholm Syndrome that becomes true romance in The Town, the one-man saviour story of Argo, and the whole plot of GBG. The Town and Argo also have Baffleck starring in lead roles, and considering how awful he is in them, he comes across as self-absorbed and arrogant. Thankfully, people came to their senses for Live by Night, and it seems his life as Batman is pretty much done. I guess good things come to those who wait.

Boosh

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
Why?: The biggest movie in terms of raw dollars is nothing more than rehashed memories for Star Wars fans. Characters are either there to get applause from the fans or serve as cheap clones of Han Solo (the Poe Dameron character is so pointless that you could remove him after the opening and nothing would be lost), J.J. Abrams’ direction adds nothing, and the script is both overlong and unoriginal. It makes George Lucas’ prequels look like the original trilogy.
Better movies: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (space opera), Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars)

Chien

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
I really like Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight might just be the best superhero movie
ever made, but its direct sequel is a mess. Characters are weak, and most importantly, there
is a strange message getting out of it, that really made me uncomfortable. Nolan’s biggest
mistake as a filmmaker.

Tranny

The Ring (2002)

Johnerle

The Seventh Seal (1957)
I'd rather re-watch the Bill & Ted parody. I guess Bergman just isn't for me.

Walleye
(films start at #21)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron B: Aw no, I love this film. It's true rogen lacks range but this is a film built around what he plays best - the loveable man-child. The dialogue is great, especially the more improvised stuff.

Boosch: Agreed. I was even caught up in the excitement, but soon realises how disappointing the film is for its lack of anything close to a risk. I recently rewatched it on a flight and it's diverting, but not a patch on the first trilogy.

Chien: I'm baffled by how people can think this is good. It's a complete disaster, with too many characters, some terrible twists, and a muddled plot.

Tranny: I don't get the love for this either. Some great art design, but the iconic scene fails because it uses CGI and is way less scary than the original.

John: Sacrilege! It's one of my favourite films of all time. And even for Bergman this is more kinetic that his other films. It's such a wonderful inner debate about the meaning of life in the shadow of death (figuratively and literally). I could watch this endlessly.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I've only seen a few of these from this group, but have to say I agree with all of those. As a massive Star Wars fan I'll say I really enjoyed The Force Awakens, but fully recognize it wasn't actually all that good. 2 viewings is all you can do, after that it starts to get really bad really fast. I've never rewatched any of the Affleck movies, which probably proves the point, so I'd be curious if I feel the same way about those. I'm suspecting that I might. And Dark Knight? Very interesting.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ron, you do make a point with Rogen. The guy's become the new Adam Sandler and simply makes films for his entourage nowadays. And I don't know what convinced him to direct when a computer would do a better job.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Ron B & Boosch, Juno : I haven't watched it since theater, but I had really enjoyed it back then. Ten years later though, I hardly remember the film.

Six, Natural Born Killers : I've seen it on TV ages ago, didn't really like it, so quite agree.

Tranny, Dazed & Confused : I love it !! Disagree ;)

John, Million Dollar Baby : I love this one too ! I'm a big Clint fan, even if his last few films are far from as good as his best. But Million is one I really loved. There's a culture of Clint loving in French cinephilia, so that helps ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Ron, Knocked Up : I love it, one of the two Apatow films I like as a whole, with 40 year-old virgin, where as the next are much more questionable.

Six, Affleck triumvirat : I can understand how they might be considered overrated, but I couldn't put them all in the same bag. GBG is his best, and with each film, Affleck has been doing a step back. Argo clearly is the only one having a spot in such a Top.

Boosch, The Force Awakens : I still enjoyed the hell out of it, despite the flaws.

Tranny, The Ring : Never been interested in it, so I guess I agree.

John, Seventh Seal : Aaaaaah ! Such a fascinating, powerful film, I wholeheartedly disagree ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The fact that Ive already inspired someone to shout "Sacrilege!" means I'm on the right track.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I guess that makes John the wanted poster in the Bad video.

Meanwhile, I actually just learned that's Martin Scorsese on the mugshot.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

heh. Sacrilege :) im glad we finally have a good way to take the piss.

Six: On Baffelck, im more in the same vein as Chien, i quite liked Gone Baby Gone, perhaps because he doesn't star in it. Only just recently watched The Town, which really didn't need the love angle sideplot. And yeah, Argo sucks.

Boosh: I don't think this is over-rated to be honest, i just think alot of people have seen it and thought, oh yeah, its not so bad. On the flipside of your comment, i liked Poe Dameron, he injected some much needed energy and humor, im glad he got re-written into the next movie. Having said that, theres a couple of bits that really stink -the lightsaber fight (no rookie can just pick up a saber and beat a half trained sith!) which drags the whole thing down and made me leave the cinema fairly displeased.

Chien: yeah i spose this is fitting, i tried so hard to like this after one of my favs: TDK. It just never hits the right spots.

Tranny: I watched only the end of this one way back. And since then never found the urge to watch the rest. Now i spose i never will...thanks tranny ;)

Johnerle: Ive been wanting to see this numerous times- just never did. I do like that Bill & Ted movie though :)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Obviously, you aren't familiar with those who think box office and fanboy hype equal quality. For every person that points out the flaws in The Force Awakens, there's 5-10 people that will defend it just because they aren't the prequels or they made a lot of money (this is also why Transformers has a higher IMDb rating than The Tree of Life).

In a way, they are kind of like the Mystery Science Theater 3000 fans that are convinced the Sci-Fi seasons are the only ones worth watching because said people like Rifftrax and refuse to accept any (very valid) criticisms of Seasons 8-10. In addition, they won't give the new season a chance because Mike wasn't involved (despite the fact that 1. Mike didn't create the show and 2. Joel made the show for more than just acidic social conservatives and wanted to return to the original audience of kids and college students).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
imdb rating: 8.1 from 318k votes. Metascore: 100!?
For a child growing up in the 1940's this might float your boat. But this ranking so high today is not cool. I would not be able to sit through this again.
My rating: 4.5/10

Six (#6)

Manhattan (1979)
I’ve been a Woody Allen fan for a long time. Maybe 20 years? Ever since my first Woody film, Husbands and Wives, I’ve bene impressed by his wit and dramatic observances. I’ve seen most of his films (I skipped a few of his recent ones), and yet this is considered to be one of, if not his best? Sure, the cinematography is stunning, and the use of music inspired. But the story of an older man dating a teenage girl features everything that detractors hate about Woody’s films – the egocentricity of its gaze, the good lines going to Woody’s character, the somewhat unappealing characters, etc. Sure, it’s not a bad Woody Allen film, but as a fan I wouldn’t put this in his 10 best.

Boosh

Brick (2005)
Why?: Rian Johnson’s debut is typical of his career in a nutshell: building a film around clichés seen many times before, putting it through a filter to make it pretty, hypnotize festival audiences and critics into thinking it’s good, and getting away with it. Quentin Tarantino he is not and this overpraised film proves it: an overbaked update of bad film noir in a high school. It’s too stylish for its own good and none of it rings true. Brick lays a brick.
Better movies: The Long Goodbye, Body Heat, The Grifters, The Hot Spot (neo-noir), Hard Candy (2005 festival debuts)

Walleye

The English Patient (1997)
Has anyone ever said to themselves: You know what I want to rewatch? The English Patient! What an overly long, boring, attempt at an Oscar bait movie. But oh did it win Oscars. Including Best Costume? Seriously, all they wore is brown. Like several other Oscar winners, the years have not been kind to this one.

Chien

Image Image Image Image Image
Any Harry Potter film bar Azkaban and Half Blood Prince
I still scratch my head about the popularity of the Potter films. Two of them, in my eyes, have a real personality and are films on their own with strong stakes, Azkaban and Half-blood Prince. The others have nothing striking and just wander looking like one another.

John

The Godfather Part 2 (1974)
I don't think the cutting back and forth between different timelines really works, but I would be very interested in seeing that television cut that tells each story chronologically...

Tranny

Love Actually (2003)