The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Post by undeadmonkey »

Six
Babel - yes, comopltetly agree with this. I remember the accolades it was getting at the time and was completely baffled

Walleye
Ex Machina (2014) - Good choice. It was a lot less clever than it thought it was.

Chien
A Beautiful Mind (2001) - Also good choice, also a lot less clever than it thought it was

John
The Graduate (1967) - I saw it in film school, there's a reason it's only shown in film school.

Tran
The Bourne Ultimatum - Good choice. I loved the trilogy when they came out. I rewatched them last year, they did not hold up very well.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron B: As before, I didn't think it was bad at all. Don't remember much though.

Boosh: Oh my, yes, it's very over-rated. It's filmed like a single action scene, the chronology twisted ridiculously in order to do that. I appreciate the ambition, but the result is a shallow film.

Walleye: It has issues with gender, but it's still a good film. Maybe not brilliant, but good.

chien: Ugh, how anyone can think this is anything more that the worst kind of film is beyond me.

John: I actually haven;t fully seen this film.

Tranny: I've only seen the first 3, and they're all fine but yep, overrated.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

hmm, we seem to be agreeing far tooo much!

UDm- i thought the bourne movies were in your top 100?!

Babel - I dont remember disliking it, and i am a fan of Inirattu.

Boosh - Have not, but will see

Walleye - I really like this movie, was a decent surprise at the time

Chien - I used to like it. I still think Crowe's performance is very good though

John - Meh, so over rated. Shouldnt still be appearing on top lists

Tranny - Yep, they all blend into one film. Nothing special. This is what i call an airplane movie, perfect for watching if you're dead tired on an airplane, and eventually it'll put you to sleep.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

yup, they were

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

Inside Out (2015)
I actually did a sneaky last minute swap out for a much less rated film (Dreamgirls)...though for me both films are complete snoozefests. Inside Out is in imdb top 150, what a joke. To sum the whole film: girl has feelings, feelings are characters inside girls head, characters color coded for each feeling, insert adventure through body, feelings are clashing, girl grows up, end.

Six (#6)

Heat (1995)
Heat’s the kind of film that a certain type of my mates adores. It’s the kind fo person who deep down thinks Rambo 2 is the best film ever but instead says this is because they think its dramatic and deep. It’s not, it’s overlong and boring. Pacino is at his most HOOHAA, De Niro is comatose, and Kilmer just…pouts.

Boosh

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Why?: The endless Marvel Cinematic Universe has provided plenty of overpraised films (the Captain America sequel, Iron Man Three and its ridiculous twist) but this is the grand daddy of them all. Smug and too into itself, this popular film really did nothing more than make fans think they were more clever than they really were for liking it. I’m sorry, but saying “I am Groot” wasn’t funny the first time, nor will it be the 400th time.
Better movies: Super (James Gunn), Mystery Men (superhero team)

Walleye

Full Metal Jacket (1987)
No film can do the heartbreak and horror of Vietnam justice, although this one tries. Still, War movies had been done better before and since. I’ll watch Bridge on the River Kwai over this any day. This one, other than a can’t-look-away Basic Training sequence just doesn’t hold up to the better ones.

Chien

Chicago (2002)
Another one that won way too many Oscars. Musicals can be so great, but I hate it when the screenwriter has absolutely no imagination and just make the musical numbers simply dreams, like this one.

John

Mulholland Drive (2001)
Sorry, Six, but I hated it. I'm not a fan of art in any medium that prizes ambiguity above all else. It usually strikes me as a lazy, pretentious cop-out.

Tranny

The King's Speech (2010)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron: This film is getting too much hate. In here it's under-rated.

Boosch: Agreed. It's one of the better MCU films, for sure, but it's derivative and I don't buy Pratt's character's journey.

Walleye: Actually, this is almost universally rated as Kubrick's most flawed movie. Pretty much everyone says the first half is great and the second weak.

Chien: Haven't seen, never will.

John: I'll take artistic ambiguity (which compared to painting, sculpture, poetry, and heck, even most song lyrics, is not that ambiguous at all) over on-the-nose Hollywood any day. A pox on you. And Tranny, preemptively.

Tranny: Yep, vastly over-rated. It's about a dude who learns to be less human. How is that a good ending?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
John: A pox on you. And Tranny, preemptively.
That wouldn't be the first time I've shared a pox with a Tranny. Hey now!

In all fairness to what I believe was your favourite movie of all time, I haven't seen it in 15 years, and I remember how critically divisive it was when it first came out, and I've been watching with bemusement from afar as its reputation has grown considerably since then, which is why I consider it over-rated. Whatever happened to all the critics who HATED it in 2001?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Heat - Most definitely over-rated. People made a big deal over it because OMG DeNiro and Pacino are finally in a scene together, which is kinda like being excited because OMG a woman directed a big budget superhero movie, which seems to blind a lot of people to the quality of the finished product. Just because you want something to be good doesn't mean it actually is. (Not dissing WW, BTW. I haven't seen it yet but it's the best example I could think of while banging this out at work.)

Guardians - Over-rated.

Full Metal Jacket - Under-rated. I'm pretty sure Eyes Wide Shut is the one Kubrick film that's generally regarded as his weakest, and even though people constantly talk about the basic training sequence being better than everything that comes later, it's always been the sniper scene that stands out for me.

King's Speech - I liked it. I'd say it's rated about right.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

JohnErle wrote:
numbersix wrote:

In all fairness to what I believe was your favourite movie of all time, I haven't seen it in 15 years, and I remember how critically divisive it was when it first came out, and I've been watching with bemusement from afar as its reputation has grown considerably since then, which is why I consider it over-rated. Whatever happened to all the critics who HATED it in 2001?
What you describe reminds me of The Leftovers. Remember how people absolutely detested this show when it started all because it was from Damon Lindelof? And now it's considered one of the best things on television. Not sure if the show got better or if people finally realized Lindelof wasn't responsible for everything wrong in the universe.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
JohnErle wrote:
numbersix wrote:

What you describe reminds me of The Leftovers. Remember how people absolutely detested this show when it started all because it was from Damon Lindelof? And now it's considered one of the best things on television. Not sure if the show got better or if people finally realized Lindelof wasn't responsible for everything wrong in the universe.
This is clearly it. Damon Lindelof was the world's most hated man until his sins were forgiven as soon as season 2 of the Leftovers premiered.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm not joking. Lindelof got blamed for much of the things on Lost people didn't like. He got blamed for Prometheus. He got much of the blame for Star Trek Into Darkness (well, when Alice Eve wasn't targeted by the Trekkers for some bizarre reason). And he was blamed for World War Z. And yet, he had nothing or little to do with the directions any of those took. Sure, he worked on them but he was just earning a paycheck.

The first season of The Leftovers was written off before it even premiered solely because he was involved. And a lot of this was reflected in early reviews. But somehow, reception for the show improved gradually, leading to the universal adoration of the third season (and much anger for its recent Golden Globe snub while The Marvelous Ms. Maisel, a show no one had seen until a few days ago, got two major nominations).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

Before Sunrise (1995)
Snoozefest

Six (#6)

Cache (2005)
Just because you’re arthouse doesn’t mean you’re somehow smarter than mainstream cinema. Cache is supposed to be this intelligent, enigmatic thriller. But it’s a fairly blunt assault on the colonialist mentality of France, told through a rather uninteresting and very cold lens. Cynicism isn’t intelligence.

Boosh

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Why?: A completely unnecessary remake of the 2009 Swedish film (which in turn was based on the popular Stieg Larsson novel), this is a film that only gets a free pass for the fact that David Fincher directed it. From the overly-dark cinematography (because Jeff Cronenweth can’t light a scene), Rooney Mara’s laughable performance (which was nominated for an Oscar over Tilda Swinton), to the needless James Bond-esque opening (if you wanted to make a James Bond film, Mr. Fincher, why didn’t you just make a James Bond film?), it’s a film that would be considered one of the worst remakes ever had anyone else made it. Fandom should not overshadow quality.
Better movies: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009), Zodiac (David Fincher)

Walleye

Pulp Fiction (1994)
Boy were we starved for crisp dialogue in the 90’s. Quentin Tarantino burst onto the screen with this talky/Rashomon style movie, which felt awfully original in it’s day. Not sure it really holds up over time, however. John Travolta was fine but not great, and Uma Thurman was way better in Kill Bill.

Chien

An American in Paris (1951)
I could have cited a few Minnelli musicals, I cite this one. So unimaginative screenplay-wise, like in Chicago, too many musical sequences are just dreams.

John

Vertigo (1958)
#1 on the most recent Sight & Sound poll, but I'll be damned if I can see why. The most stylish aspects just seem cheesy to my modern eye. Give me North By Northwest or Rear Window any day of the week.

Tranny

Interstellar (2014)

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I haven't seen a few of these, but I'll chime in on a couple.

I'm a Nolan lover but I think most of us would agree that Interstellar is good but not great. It doesn't have the passionate following of Inception, or Memento, or the Batman Trilogy.

Heat - totally agreed. Any hype this had died upon viewing in my opinion.

Vertigo is one of my fave Hitchcock's but I haven't seen it in awhile. Still think it would hold up for me.

And Before Sunrise? True story. Back when you still had to go and rent VHS tapes from Mr. Movie down the street my wife and I rented "Interview with a Vampire". We brought it back and watched about 20 minutes of it before we were both disturbed and disgusted so we turned it off and I drove back to Mr Movie and asked if I could please exchange it for something happier. The clerk was kind and said absolutely - and I chose Before Sunrise. Went home and we watched that instead. For that - it will always hold a special place in my heart :)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Nice story about Before Sunrise Walleye, its probably better than the film itself!

Cache/Six- Hmm, wonder what Chien thinks of this one. I haven't seen it

Girl with Dragon Tatoo/Boosh -Its the only Fincher film i haven't seen. Though i have seen the original

Pulp Fiction/Wallsy- My father hates this, so ive been back and forth about how/why somone dislikes it- i can see why people dont like it. But i think its awesome

American in Paris/Chien - sorry havent seen and most likely wasnt going to anyway

Vertigo/John- I have to agree with you here John, give me North by Northwest or Rear Window over this any day. The other thing i think has confused people over the years is that Vertigo isn't a fear of heights as this film suggests, its when you get very dizzy.

Interstellar/Tranny- One film i agree with very much, the next you list i disagree almost more so. For me this is a wonderful space adventure. I could give you a list of 1000 movies with more outlandish plots

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think I have one of those "outlandish plot" movies coming up.