The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Post by undeadmonkey »

sigh, now i feel like i need to watch Tree of Life to see if the hate is warranted... I had successfully avoided it until now.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

And we are into the top 20!

Ron B

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
imdb rating: 7.6 from 572k votes. Metascore: 68
First off, i must admit, there are some cool action sequences. But sadly the bad far outweighs the good, by miles. Classic bad scene: Darth Sidious takes on 4 Jedi's, 2 of them die almost immediately by doing absolutely nothing. No no no. Then you have Hayden Christensen making things cringeworthy. Also making no sense was Obi Wans (even though he is increasingly more worried) decisions to leave Anakin's side at every opportunity, until the end, when its too late. Ok, the new star wars movie wasn't great either, just dont go recommending this movie instead. Im still holding a little bit of hope for the new one coming out in a couple of weeks, Rian Johnson is strong with the force, me thinks.
My rating: 3.5/10

Six (#6)

Million Dollar Baby (2004)
Pretty much every single film directed by that massive egotist deserves a spot in my Most Over-rated. They reveal Clint’s reliance on clichés and his love of his self to keep an audience engaged. This is one of the worst offenders, partly because it won Oscars and made a shit-tonne of awards. It should be a film about a female boxer suffering from tragedy, but it turns into another Clint-fest as he struggles with what to do. Throw in some terrible dialogue, hilariously bad characterisation (Swank’s family for example), and you get something that’s cheesy, boring, unrealistic, and incredibly saccharine.

Boosh

The Sixth Sense (1999)
Why?: Maybe I got to this one a bit too late. But when I saw it on home video, I didn’t understand the hype. And I still don’t. Ghost stories in the wrong hands can be very predictable movies and this one is no exception. Were audiences in 1999 simply nice to it because it wasn’t like the other horror films in the market (I do have to admit it is better than The Blair Witch Project, The Haunting, or Deep Blue Sea)? I’ll never understand it. But at least it gave us Unbreakable.
Better movies: Lake Placid (Summer 1999 horror), Unbreakable, Split (Shyamalan), The Haunting (1963), The Innocents (ghosts)

Walleye

Toy Story 3 (2010)
The first of 3 movies from 2010 to make my list. And this is a pretty good movie. But it’s on my list because it’s not a Kids movie. It’s a movie for Adults. For no kid I know is this their favorite “kids” movie, so being hailed as the greatest Animated movie of all time feels kind of lame to me. Just my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

Chien

(actually chiens # 24, my bad)
Un conte de Noël / A Christmas tale (2008)
I don’t like Desplechin’s cinema. That’s said. But his films are, each time, amongst the best reviewed. I hated this one so much, I can’t understand the critical love his films always get.

John

Image Image

Image Image

Star Wars Meh
Give me classic Trek any day. Empire is the only Star Wars film I've ever liked. And this is not some jaded, adult, hipster interpretation of Star Wars. I was maybe 10 years old the first time I saw it and I remember thinking “I thought this was supposed to be a space movie. When are they going to leave this boring desert?”

Tranny

The Incredibles (2004)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Um, I'm sorry, The Incredibles? And the Original Star Wars? Who are you people! Monsters - Monsters all of you!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

lol good one Walleye, that'll teach me ;)

Six/Million dollar Cry Baby: yeah, well said. I hate this movie with a passion

Boosh/The Sixth Sense: I sense, The Nerd influenced you here? Yeah after the first viewing, its not a crazy good movie like the best of horror lists say. And btw: Lake Placid is a crappy movie, and ive seen it 3 times.

Walleye/Toy Story 3: Narrowly missed out on my own top 25, good pick man!

Havent seen yours Chien

John/Star Wars minus Empire: I have no soul? *shakes head* so wrong john- so wrong. I can get the hate for The Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens, but the rest are all awesome. Star Trek sucks :twisted:

Tranny/The Incredibles: I'd like to hear your opinion on how this is over rated- its in my top 100 of all time!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

No, Ron. I saw it when it hit VHS (this was after it made so much money from playing forever, got those Oscar nominations, and coined a catchphrase). The family got together and watched it one Friday night and by the end, we were like, "That was it?" Unbreakable and Split are Shyamalan's best films. This was simply a mediocre ghost story that got a lot of attention because The Haunting remake was a such a disappointment.

A few months earlier, my sister begged my mom to let us rent The Blair Witch Project and even as kids, we saw through that one's hype.

As for Lake Placid, I think this is a misunderstood film. People love to hate on it because it's short and everyone's snarky but that's exactly why I like it. It's fast paced, doesn't overstay its welcome, and the characters are hilarious (and how could you not admire Betty White's character?). I wish more respected actors and writers would make these small but crazy, crowd pleasing movies that entertain for 90 minutes between the passion projects and overlong, overbudgeted tentpoles.

Another 1999 horror film that deserves more love is Ravenous. No one saw this one in the theatre (thanks to a dreadful ad campaign) but it's perhaps one of the most fascinating films about cannibalism ever made (and yes, that includes The Texas Chainsaw Massacre). It's also got a wicked sense of humor as well.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron: Most hate the prequel trilogy, but I was surprised when some said this was better than the others. It's just as bad. What film has a straight face when it ends with the anti-hero/villain shouting NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Boosch: Agreed, and I saw it when it came out. It also started a trend of films reliant on twists that annoyed the hell out of me.

Walleye: Agreed. It's a good film, but it is over-rated. I still see it as a kids film. ust because it's dark that doesn't mean kids can't watch it. We watched Gremlins, The Goonies, etc as kids, and we turned out fine. Besides the murders.

Chien: Haven't seen, not interested either!

John: Oh dear. What joyless childhood you must have had to hate something so pure and fun at 10 ;) I recently rewatched the first film, and sure, it's silly at times, but it's also a blast. And there's plenty of space action!

Tranny: It's been 13 years since I saw it. Didn't love it, but certianly enjoyed it.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The Incredibles is a movie that I found unfunny and not even remotely charming or poignant. Plus the characters annoyed the hell out of me.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I knew my non-love of Star Wars would cause a stir, but for the record I never said I hated it, those were Six's words. It's a harmless kids movie, so there's nothing to hate, but I see very little in it to love either. It's easy to forget that hardly any critics or adults liked Star Wars when it first came out. It was seen as little more than a big budget Saturday morning cartoon that made tons of money because multiplexes were popping up all over America in shopping malls, and most adults thought Star Wars was as disposable as an Orange Julius or anything else kids wasted their money on at the mall. It's only when all those kids grew up that Star Wars took on iconic, unassailable status, which I find highly illogical.*

But all the prequels thoroughly suck, as does the first JJ attempt to ape everything that didn't thrill me about the first film. I never bothered with Rogue One and my indifference to Star Wars on the whole means I probably never will.

* Deliberate reference to a vastly superior sci-fi franchise.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

I love everything about this post, but your new Avatar is the best :) Way to defend your territory my friend.

PS, I still think you're wrong :lol:

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Ron
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - yup, terrible movie

Boosh
The Sixth Sense - I wish i could defend it more, but really remember so little and i agree shaymalan has much better movies.

Walleye
Toy Story 3 - I think it's the best Toy Story movie, but if it's heralded as the best animated movie ever, then yes, it's way overrated.

John
Star Wars Meh - hahaha, love it. I have seen the movies and they are fine, but this i s a great example of something that is overrated.

Tranny
The Incredibles - What is it? Who are you, what do you want?..... I am Syndrome, your nemesis!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

The Incredibles is the most overrated Pixar film ever made. I fell asleep on it in theaters, and having watched it fully through a couple of times since...my body made the right decision the first time.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi2 wrote:Look at how there's been nothing about the second season of Jessica Jones though it was greenlighted almost two years ago.
JJ2 has been shot and completed, and is expect to come out Spring 2018.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Expected is the key word here. I'll believe it when I actually see things for it.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:I knew my non-love of Star Wars would cause a stir, but for the record I never said I hated it, those were Six's words.
Maybe not in words. But your cold, dead eyes were brimming with anti-Jedi sentiment.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

Up in the Air (2009)
rating on imdb: 7.4 by 284k people. Metascore: 83
I dont normally watch movies this boring all the way to the end. Nominated for 6 oscars!
My rating: 4/10

Six(#6)

A few years back I did a course on screenwriting where this was used as a perfect example of Hollywood structure. And in a way it is. But that’s the problem. Somewhere in the 90s Cameron decided he was going to do nothing but consciously and cynically target the masses and his films have become less interesting yet more popular. Can’t blame him for being at the top of his game, but this film is rather dull for its 2.5 hours of sci-fi action. I think it’s because the environmentalism message (which I agree with!) is so obvious that it takes over anything like more complicated characters or any real sense of danger or excitement.

Boosh

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (2007)
Why?: This documentary, later revealed to be partially faked due to its creation of the main conflict in the editing room, does nothing but serve as a long-form commercial for Twin Galaxies when it’s not glorifying its man-child subjects as heroes. It also has the issue of glossing over some far more interesting topics (such as the Q*Bert record holder and Roy Schildt’s feud with Twin Galaxies) in favor of a feud that mainly only existed in the director’s mind. If you want to blame anything for films like Identity Thief and Baywatch entering the marketplace, blame this “documentary” for making Seth Gordon a hot property in Hollywood.
Better movies: Lake of Fire, Taxi to the Dark Side (2007 documentaries)

Walleye

Gremlins (1984)
A pretty good movie that hasn’t been watched for a long time. It was wild and clever at the time, but feels a little overdone now.

Chien

Divines (2016)
This is such a clichés-filled film about youth in the Paris suburbs, the Caméra d’Or jury that year at Cannes must have never set foot in the suburbs or seen a film on the subject before to award it the Caméra d’Or.

John

Some Like It Hot (1959)
AFI's number 1 comedy of all time made me laugh once.

Tranny

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)