The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Post by numbersix »

Ron: Considering this is getting on critics' Best of lists, 'I'll say it's over-rated.

Boosch: Slightly over-rated. What sets it apart from most horrors is its intense connection to a genuine anxiety, but when it came to the supernatural sequences it's not as scary as it should have been.

Walleye: Awful film. Scorses does not knwo how to make a family film, and its message was heavy-handed.

Chien: 100% agree

John: Another classic comedy I like.

Tranny: Haven't seen.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Wonder Woman - Agreed. Already made my list

Braveheart - You'll hear my thoughts on this later I suppose so that tips my hat :)

Never saw Babadook nor V for Vendetta. No interest in either

The Jerk was one of the first movies that I remember I was "supposed" to love. And I didn't. I think Steve Martin is a genius, but his movies are very hit or miss. Now Bowfinger. . .

Tranny do you love any animated movies? I actually really like Zootopia, my whole family did. And we all went into it with low expectations for some reason. But, again, all really enjoyed it.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Ron
The Talented Mr Ripley - i need to watch this again to see if it holds up. I thought it was so cool when i saw it.
American Gangster - I don't know if it's overrated, but it's a terrible movie.
Wonder Woman - Curiouser and Curiouser, There are many reason's that this movie is held so highly, none of which are because of the quality of the movie.

Six
The Social Network - I have an intense love/hate relationship with this movie. obviously there are many aspects of how social media effects society and this film was narrow on the topics it chose to cover. Those points were correct though. Also this is now one of the only movies that depicts what facebook was, it has become something totally different. and yes the dialogue is very one note, but the acting is not. Lastly, saying he just created facebook to keep tabs on his ex is so superficial, there is way more going on there and that last scene, should be just as famous as the last scene of inception (which i'm hoping shows up on this countdown from someone, if it won't, i'll contribute for one round.)
World Trade Center - for something that shook the world, this movie doesn't do it justice, so good choice.

Boosh
Silver Linings Playbook - dude, what is your personal vendetta against Lawrence. To be fair though, i loved this movie when i saw it, but i really haven't had a desire to watch it again.
Hunger Games - So is, Winter's Bone in your top 5 or just top 10?

Walleye
Spider-man 2 - This is just wrong. Tell me, what's a better superhero movie.
Hugo - Yes, we have sat down twice to watch this movie, have not made it through yet. I don't think we will try a 3rd time.

Chein
V for Vendetta - Great choice. I used to love this movie. I can't think of another film that i've done such a 180 on. I absolutely hate it now

John
Something Mary - Agreed, it was very overrated when it came out.

Tranny
Inside Out, Zootopia - I worry about you sometimes.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The Talented Mr. Ripley – Under-rated. It was in my top 100 of all time for a reason. I wish the people behind this had tackled the later Ripley books as well.

Social Network – We've been down this road before. I still disagree with everything you said and think you're taking this movie way too personally.

Silver Lining Playbook – Any movie that stars Bradley Cooper or ends with a dance contest is bound to suck. American Hustle is every bit as over-rated. The O in David O. Russell stands for over-rated.

Spidey 2 – It's okay, but I agree. The original was better.

La Dolce Vita – Oooohhh! I haven't seen it, but at least I'm not the only one with the balls to list a time-honoured classic. I couldn't finish 8 1/2, so I suspect I'd agree if I tried to watch this.

Revenant – Agreed. The camera work is annoying and Leo spends the whole movie grunting and grimacing.

American Gangster – Liked it a lot. I think this was the first time I really noticed Josh Brolin. He steals every scene he's in.

World Trade Centre – Is this the one where they spend the whole movie trapped in the rubble? Barely remember it, didn't think anyone rated it highly then or now.

Hunger Games – Watchable, but overrated. Better than the sequel, though. Never got past the second one, which was awful.

The Fugitive – Yup. The train scene looked laughable in the 90s too, as did the dime-store mannequin that jumps off the dam in the other supposedly iconic action scene. I never understood the Oscar noms for this.

Farenheit 9/11 – Bowling For Columbine and Roger & Me were better. This movie's success was largely because of leftover goodwill from Moore's previous films.

Inside Out – Maybe just a smidge over-rated. It's good Pixar, though.

Braveheart – This will appear later on my list. You've under-rated how over-rated it is.

The Babadook – The short film that came first was probably excellent, but this extended version is too repetitive, delivering the exact same story beats over and over again. Great atmosphere and performances, though. Slightly over-rated, but still 8,000,000,000 times better than Oculus.

Hugo – Agreed. Not awful, but lesser Scorsese.

V For Vendetta – H For Hated It! If I'd thought of this piece of garbage it would have earned a spot on my list over harmless comedies like The Jerk or The Producers.

Zootopia – It's a fine kids movie, but I think too much was read into its message, so a little over-rated.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

World Trade Center is the water bottle Jesus movie (as I seem to recall a former member calling it).

And Oculus is way more original than The Babadook. Oculus doesn't feel like some YouTuber's Tim Burton fan film.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Walleye: Yes there are a fair amount of animated movies I really enjoy (The Lion King, The Lego Movie and The Toy Story franchise to name a few) but as I've grown older, a smaller volume of them resonated with me for whatever reason. The animated movies that made my list were titles that I found to be not nearly as clever, moving or funny as they were lauded to be or in the case of Zootopia, contained a heavy-handed message that was clearly going to go over the head of its alleged target audicience.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'd rather have a message than two hours of fart jokes and shit eating, which is what 90% of children's films seem to be (and from some of the trailers I saw before a movie yesterday, I'm convinced a lot of them are actually made for brain dead adults who find Geico commercials funny).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

six/braveheart - I used to have a soft spot for Mel Gibson, i used to own this on VHS too and watched the first half at least a dozen times. That said, i dont really think its a great movie these days. So yeah it is over rated

Boosh/the babadook - Oh great, thanks for making me probably never watch this ;) I was looking forward to seeing it, as its an Aussie movie.

Walleye/Hugo - i actually watched this in France with you Chien :) I dont remember us leaving the cinema raving about it, but i don't remember bashing it, perhaps that was peer pressure (you know, nobody likes to admit they wasted money/time)...

Chien/V for Vendetta - I recently watched this again, and its probably fallen from my top 100, but i still enjoy it. Bloody peer pressure ;)

John/The Jerk - I saw this on a few best of lists, so i thought i have to watch it. When i did i didn't laugh very much. So yeah, i agree with it appreaing here.

Tranny/Zootopia - It seems you and I see eye to eye when it comes to animated flicks, this is another animated movie that really dont get why people think its any good. Its so lame. Just cause you have talking animals people think its great, well, no, not even funny. I give this something like a 4.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Moana should have won the Best Animated Feature Oscar over Zootopia. And not just because Moana has a pig and a chicken as sidekicks.

V for Vendetta would hold up better if not for the second life of the V mask. It was a decent, if not great, adaptation of the Alan Moore graphic novel but after Anonymous adopted the mask as their symbol, you couldn't escape that film. And Anonymous itself is a rather touchy subject (and not just over its power struggle between crusaders for the greater good of the little guy and reckless figures who want attention, kind of like a battle to the death between Edward Snowden and Julian Assange).

And a fun fact: The Jerk is the favorite film of famed composer Philip Glass. Yes, the man who did the music for the Qatsi trilogy loves him some Navin Johnson wackiness.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Agreed on Moana, its much better and is itself a thoroughly entertaining film. I've seen it twice now, got really catchy tunes and i love the minor role by Jermaine Clement (actually any role by Clement is awesome)

On Anonymous, i watched a doco on the history of anon, and it seems like the early and founding members were all pretty cool and humorous people, what they did to fight large groups was almost noble; like vs Scientology (the tom cruise scientology promo video)

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

transformers2 wrote:Walleye: Yes there are a fair amount of animated movies I really enjoy (The Lion King, The Lego Movie and The Toy Story franchise to name a few) but as I've grown older, a smaller volume of them resonated with me for whatever reason. The animated movies that made my list were titles that I found to be not nearly as clever, moving or funny as they were lauded to be or in the case of Zootopia, contained a heavy-handed message that was clearly going to go over the head of its alleged target audicience.

Pretty well said. Being a dad of 4 kids I've been watching kids movies for forever! First for myself and now with them. I generally find something enjoyable in any movie, especially a kids one, but it's rare that I want to watch one twice. The Lion King certainly makes that list, and The Lego Movie - top notch from both of them. I thoroughly enjoyed Moana and Frozen as well. My girls are my younger kids now and I loved how these were just good, strong movies that happened to have women as the leads. Not Brave where the message was crammed down our throats.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ron Burgundy wrote:Agreed on Moana, its much better and is itself a thoroughly entertaining film. I've seen it twice now, got really catchy tunes and i love the minor role by Jermaine Clement (actually any role by Clement is awesome)

On Anonymous, i watched a doco on the history of anon, and it seems like the early and founding members were all pretty cool and humorous people, what they did to fight large groups was almost noble; like vs Scientology (the tom cruise scientology promo video)
As I said, there's good in some of the things that Anonymous have done. But then there are the members who are in it for themselves and therefore get them cast in a negative light (it seems like these people were mainly recruited through 4chan, one of the biggest cess pools on the Internet and a site often named in connection to Anonymous). Season 2 of American Crime has a pretty good example of showing how divided Anonymous is (though the group isn't named, it's obvious that John Ridley and his writing team is referencing them in the later episodes).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

The English Patient (1996)
imdb rating: 7.4 from 153k votes: Metascore: 87
Another film which isn't particularly bad but is very much over rated, especially by the academy! It won 9 oscars over such gems like Fargo, Trainspotting and Shine. Its fairly boring, nuff said.
My rating: 4.5

Sx (#6)

Babel
And all of Inarritu’s films, to be honest. But this one is particularly awful. A series of stories from around the world. Films that do this often end up coming across as pretentious because they try to summarise humanity into something neat and simple. Cloud Atlas is awful, but this is the worst offender

Boosh

Dunkirk (2017)
Why?: Diehard Nolan fans (as well as critics, it has a 94 on Metacritic) loved this war film and audiences flocked en masse to a story few outside of Europe knew about. But outside of the cinematography, this film with a paper-thin storyline left me cold. The film outside of showing off the IMAX work is nothing more than an excuse to show things blowing up and boats sinking. More emphasis is placed on the deafening sound mix than the characters. And despite the short (for Nolan) run time, it still feels too long.
Better movies: Their Finest (Dunkirk premise), Saving Private Ryan, Black Book (World War II)

Walleye

Ex Machina (2014)
I might get more grief about this pick than any other on this list, but I just don’t get the love. It was interesting. Well done for an Indie. But I don’t think it broke any new ground at all. And I thought the ending made little to no sense.

Chien

A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Should have never won so many Oscars. Such a weak screenplay. Hated it.

John

The Graduate (1967)
Maybe it's a generational thing, but I didn't get the love for this the only time I saw it.

Tranny

The Bourne Ultimatum

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Well, I've chimed in on the English Patient, and haven't seen Babel.

Dunkirk? Loved it. Who cares that nobody heard about it - that's kind of the point. Nobody heard about the women behind Hidden Figures - yet they might have "won" the space race. Dunkirk turned the fate of World War 2. That's worthy of a movie - and a brilliant one at that.

A Beautiful Mind was a lot of hoopla for an okay movie. Agreed on this one.

And maybe it's a generational thing, but I really enjoyed The Graduate. Saw it when I was young and in college and it hit me just right.

Loved the first 3 Bourne movies. 1 and 2 are the best, but 3's pretty good. I refuse to acknowledge anything after that.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

English Patient - I haven't seen it since it was in theatres, but I liked it fine back then.

Babel - I rated it 8/10 on IMDB at the time, so I guess I liked it fine. I can't remember the last time anyone mentioned it, though.

Dunkirk - Haven't seen it, but Christopher Nolan directed it, so it's safe to assume it's over-rated. And the Dunkirk evacuation is one of the most famous events of WW2 and was memorably portrayed in Atonement, Foyle's War, and apparently there were several other movies about it as well. Doesn't mean I need to see Nolan's take, though.

Ex-Machina - Decent, but overrated. There's nothing new here for anyone who's seen or read a lot of sci-fi, and the only thing that really stands out is Oscar Isaac.

A Beautiful Mind - Wildly over-rated. This is the kind of movie that gives the Academy a bad name.

The Bourne Whatever - Which one is this? It doesn't matter anyway. They're all watchable but over-rated.