The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Post by Buscemi2 »

Walleye, have you seen the Seinfeld episode on The English Patient? You and Elaine might be in good company to see Sack Lunch.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron B: Haven't seen since a kid. It's so iconic it's hard to say

Boosch: Here's one that turned up on ym favourites list. You say the film has cliches, but the point of the film is that it recontextualises those cliches. Noir is full of tropes that are dated, and indeed many of them come across as immature. Which is why it's brilliant to resurrect them into the context of a high school world - the self-importance, the intensity, the secrecy, all work and act not just as a homage but also as a critique of noir's worst tropes. It's genuis.

Walleye: Everyone's kinda forgotten about this, so not sure if I consider it over-rated. I do remember enjoying it somewhat at the time. It's Lean-esque.

Chien: Yeah, I've sat through all of them and didn't get it. Occasionally diverting, but failing more and more as the franchise tried to get "darker".

John: I loved the cutting between eras, drawing parallels between past and present, the generations having the same impulses and desires, showing how one influenced the other.

Tranny: A bunch of Richard Curtis schmaltz, with half-baked stories and forced endings. . Vastly over-rated

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I draw the damn line at slander of Harry Potter, Chien!
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Fantastic Beasts is fair game, though. I can't believe Harry Potter fans defend that one.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Ron, Chien, and Six, you can go sit in the corner with Tranny. That's where the No Soul Club is meeting.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Ron, Boosh - Juno - YES! This move would make my top 20 worst films. I hate it so much.
Ron
Knocked - This movie was boring. I used to always finish a movie that i started, no matter what. At some point i realized that life was short and this was one of the first times that i used the fast forward button. (which i still use often to this day)
Wizard of Oz - I saw this again about a year ago and honestly it holds up really well. The climax leaves something to be desired, but it's really more about the journey than the destination, and there's a reason the main song is still heard everywhere.

Six
Afleck - Agreed, I think he's a worse batman than Clooney and while he's been in some movies i've enjoyed, eh's always the worst part

Boosh
Force Awakens - Overrated sure, but worse than the prequels, not even a bit. And i just saw Valerian, while it had interesting ideas, it never went anywhere and the leads were so bad, if we ever did a list of least charismatic and least chemistry actors ever, This would top the list by a long shot. Rihanna was the best actor in the whole movie and i think that's saying a lot.

Chein
Perks - not sure where it's rated very highly. I think i enjoyed it, but really don't remember much of it.
TDKR - Yup, what a wash, could have been one of the greatest modern trilogies. but have to disagree on one aspect, Nolan has done worse
Potter - while i completely agree with you that those two films are by far the best. I have one argument to make. Those two movies wouldn't exist if the others didn't. While there might be flaws in the movies, they make a very decent visual representation of our beloved books. Can't wait till the Fantastic Beasts movies are over and then we'll get a Potter Remake

Tranny
Love Actually - I know there are people who like the movie, but is it really overrated? are there people that love it that much?

maybe this goes without saying, but if i'm not commenting on your movie, i haven't seen it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I could say the same about the current Star Wars movies, Monkey.

And come on, Rihanna wasn't that bad.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Boosh/Brick- I liked this alot when i first saw it. When i re-watched some of it on TV, the magic had worn off but theres no way i think its over rated

Walleye/The English Patient- Another one i saw on TV recently and it is just total meh. The only good thing about the film is Ralph Fiennes

Chien-HP- Notice how i didn't show the titles of the first 2, not only Azkaban (still the best)? That because i think the first 3 are all pretty good, Richard Harris as Dumbledore is terrific. I read the books, rushing through the last couple, when i saw the films i was totally disappointed, perhaps because The Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix were pretty good books. I blame the director for stufffing them up, the studios for choosing the wrong director, the fans for getting pumped up film after film and queing up to see utter crap regardless of reviews.

John/The Godfather 2- Saw this only a few months ago and have to say its not a bad movie, its actually pretty good. Robert De Niro does give a great performance and Al Pacino reprises his best role. I do think it ends up being placed too high on most of the best of lists, which is why i can see why you think its over rated

Tranny/Love Actually- Its a fairly meh movie, but i did enjoy a couple of characters: Rowan Atkinson (i used to love Mr Bean and was going through Blackadder) and Bill Nighy. Like six, i wonder, is it rated highly at all?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Walleye, have you seen the Seinfeld episode on The English Patient? You and Elaine might be in good company to see Sack Lunch.
You know I've seen them all, but I don't remember this one. Sack Lunch sounds like a great Oscar bait film though :)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Love Actually didn't get great reviews critically, but the audience reception was very enthusiastic (I've heard it described as the greatest Christmas movie of all-time by a LOT of people), which is why I put it on my list.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Love Actually wasn't even the best Christmas film of 2003.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)
A huge disappointment. I even dragged the old man along with me to the cinema for this one. A fairly ho-hum villain with very strained (thanks alot Bautista) laughs sprinkled with colours of the rainbow does not make a good film. Could it be that Groot was so good in the movie before it? No- probably a lack of one liners to our Hero Chris Pratt, even screen time. Im getting mad just talking about this, even made me loathe a 3rd Guardians...
My rating: 4.5/10

Six (#6)

The Hidden Fortress (1958)
Don’t get me wrong, Akria Kurosawa is a god of cinema. He has made some of the greatest films of all time: Rashomon, High and Low, Ran, The Seven Samurai, etc. I could watch these films over and over again. But not every film is gonna be great. And this film certainly isn’t. Sure, it may have inspired Star Wars in a very direct way, but it’s a pretty flimsy story, and really just a fun but forgettable action film. We won’t be talking about The Avengers in 50 years time and I don’t know why we are with this film. The Seven Samurai and Yojimbo are better than this is so many ways, so just rewatch them.

Boosh

Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)
Why?: I understand what Guillermo del Toro was doing with this. However, I don’t think it deserved the praise or the Oscar wins or people calling it one of the best fantasy films ever made. We’ve seen the whole “girl discovers a fantasy world” premise done many times before and the Franco-era Spain subplot felt tacked on in an attempt to get awards notice (transport the film to modern-day Mexico and it’s the same thing). I simply found myself thinking “get on with it” while watching it.
Better movies: Tideland (2006 fantasy films), Hellboy II: The Golden Army (del Toro)

Walleye

Wonder Woman (2017)
I really enjoyed this movie. But I have the feeling it was praised so universally because it had a great female lead, and because it was the first DCU movie to not suck. That’s all true, but I still think that makes it a bit overrated

Chien

Pirates of the Caribbean : The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
The most boring adventure film Hollywood has produced this century. Nothing happens except characters running around in circles on boats during more than two hours. I almost fell asleep watching it (seriously).

John

M*A*S*H (1970)
Maybe it's because I grew up with the TV series, but I found the movie sloppy. I'm not a big fan of early Altman, so Nashville also could have made this list.

Tranny

The Tree of Life (2011)
This movie sucks
Last edited by Ron Burgundy on December 5th, 2017, 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The worst Pirates film is still the fourth one. Perhaps one of the most pointless sequels in recent memory (and it was the most expensive film ever made!).

As for Wonder Woman, I think it's less that it was a good DC film (and audiences have defended them more than critics have) and more for the fact that it's something Marvel would have never made in an era where wide appealed female-led films are both a. wanted by audiences and b. financially successful (2013 is major proof of this). Marvel plays things too safe and is more interested in pandering to their fans (many of them having ridiculously childish problems with women) than anything. Look at how there's been nothing about the second season of Jessica Jones though it was greenlighted almost two years ago and Agent Carter was killed after a miniseries and one season in favor of a pilot that wasn't picked up.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Six/The Hidden Fortress- I have seen this or most of it. But im 99% sure i was hungover so i remember nothing

Boosh/Pan Labyrinth- Seen it once and definately wasn't wowed like some here. I tried putting it on just a couple months ago and got 5 mins in...

Walleye/Wonder Woman- I agree it's over rated, the film is just a very average super hero movie.

Chien/Pirates- Im thinking you must have fallen asleep, cause this movie is a swashbuckling adventure on the high seas me hearty! arrgh. No, but really, its not that bad. I think its fun.

John/M.A.S.H- Absolutely zero interest in seeing this after seeing sooo many 1-2 mins of the TV show on re-runs before i switch channels.

Tranny/The Tree of Life- I dont think its a bad movie, its certainly not for everyone but i can see how it doesn't cater for all audiences. I saw it this year out in the bush (where i am now) and its a bit of a challenge to put the pieces together to figure out what the film is about. Actually, could someone clarify that for me?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron B: Guardians 2 was just awful. So long, so boring, splitting the characters was a terrible idea, and made the film an utter mess.

Boosch: The civil war issue isn't "tacked on" - the whole point of the film is that the experiences of the fantasy world help the main character make the right choice in the real world. If you just had the fantasy it would be a more superficial film. And Tideland is a horrible film, far worse than this.

Walleye: I kinda agree on this one. It isn't an amazing film. Gadot isn't a very good actress. I did like some of the choices made, the tone, etc, but yeah, it's a decent movie at best.

Chien: Totally agree. It is boring, and Orlando Bloom's character is terrible.

John: Saw it once, didn't get it. that said, I've returned to Altman in general and found a new appreciation for him, so maybe I might like this (I've never seen the sitcom). I do love Nashville too.

Tranny: I was expecting this from you ;) I love it, it's a beautiful film about a man trying to deal with a recent loss by exploring his past. I love its dreamlike quality. I suppose you could argue that it led to a series of similar films by Malick that are not particularly good in their attempt to do something similar.