Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Post by JohnErle »

BANKS

Juno
(2007)

BUSCEMI

Requiem for a Dream
(2000)

CHIENFANTOME

The Lord of the Rings
(2001 – 2003) - Who would have thought that one day, some guy making weird films in New Zealand would take Tolkien’s masterful oeuvre and turn it into one of the greatest pieces of filmmaking cinema has ever known ? I’m barely exaggerating, because honestly, as much as I was excited about the project back then, I was ready to watch something that wasn’t up to the task. But The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of the bravest, craziest, epic-est film(s) I have ever seen. Jackson proved himself to be a wise adapter, cutting without ever betraying. And most of all he turned out to be a master creator, giving life to Tolkien’s work like I never thought was possible. His three films are impossible to watch as anything but a single film cut in three. The sense of wonder it creates has no equivalent. There has been no film, this century, that managed to be that thrilling, moving, exhilarating and captivating. It took us on a fantastic journey that no one ever really came back from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aStYWD25fAQ

JOHNERLE

The Grand Budapest Hotel
(2014) - The funniest film Wes Anderson has ever made is also his most visually spectacular. Imagine Stanley Kubrick making a live action Looney Tunes cartoon and you have a sense of the precision that went into every shot and every movement of this comic masterpiece. And yet, despite the extensive rehearsals that must have taken place, the performances always feel fresh and spontaneous. Remarkable. Being a Wes Anderson movie, there's also a sense of melancholy lingering just below the surface for much of the film, and that comes to the forefront during the devastating third act, when the horrors of the outside world finally creep into the safe haven of civilization Gustav H. has managed to maintain at his hotel. Ralph Fiennes gives a stunning performance, and continues the long tradition of actors being overlooked for comic roles come award season.
https://youtu.be/1Fg5iWmQjwk

NUMBERSIX

No Country for Old Men
(2007) – One of the strangest and most deserved choices for Best Picture at the Oscars. The Coens faithfully adapt the Cormac McCarthy novel to tell a compelling thriller about a man who uncovers a case of money from a gang shootout which left everyone dead. Hot on his tail is a mysterious and terrifying assassin, with a love of chance and a strange tool used for his hits. The directors remove music and let sound and brilliant direction ramp up the tension, before, like the book, undermining the narrative with a surprise that feeds into their favourite theme: chaos. As Tommy Lee Jones’s character implies, we live in a life of chaos, the rules we think we’re playing don’t exist, and this is evident in the subversion of narrative expectations, leaving us only with a lingering sense of sorrow, as the film’s beautiful conclusion demonstrates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLCL6OYbSTw

RON BURGUNDY

Iron Man
(2008)

SHRYKESPEARE

Lucky Number Slevin
(2006) - Much like my All Time Favorite film, The Usual Suspects, this crime caper took me on a twisty, turny journey right through a plot so marvelously complex and layered, I could only applaud at the ingenuity behind it. Morgan Freeman is great as a mob boss (a slight departure from his usual grandfatherly roles), and Bruce Willis Bruce Willses all over the place as an assassin. The transformation Josh Hartnett makes, from goofy, naive schlub to dead-serious orphan seeking his decades-in-the-making revenge, is truly impressive. And Lucy Liu is totes adorbs, to boot.

SURFER

28 Days Later
(2002)

TRANSFORMERS

Kill Bill Vol. 1
(2003) - I'm one of the assholes that classifies Kill Bill as two separate films. The vastly-different tones paired with my gripes about Vol.2's pacing make it impossible for me to view Kill Bill as the cohesive standalone film it was originally intended to be. Petty categorizations aside, Vol.1 is an expertly-crafted revenge flick with great performances, biting dark humor and some of the most stunting setpieces QT has ever staged. Besides the untouchable 1-2 punch of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, this is my favorite thing Tarantino has done to-date.

UNDEADMONKEY

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow
(2004)

W

Old School
(2003)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Shrykespeare wrote:I won't lie, the weather in AZ is awesome right now. The scorpions sure love it...
I hope your sleeping bags are scorpion-proof!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien, Lord of the Rings - Spectacular choice, duh.

Six, No Country for Old Men - very decent film.

Ron B, Iron Man - Ah yes, the one that started the whole Avengers series off. On my list.

Surfer, 28 Days Later - Man this has shown up a LOT!

Transformers, Kill Bill Vol. 1 - You may be an asshole, but you have great taste. :)

UDM, Sky Captain - I know I saw this, but I remember absolutely none of it.

W, Old School - Great comedy. Should probably see it again someday.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Banks, Juno : I really loved it back then, and had I revisited it since theater, I might have included it in my Top.
Boosch, Requiem : Another one that nearly made my Top. Brilliant, and so hard.
John, Budapest : In my Top 10 too ! What a wonderful film, witty, funny, melancholic, ambitious. Yes, Fiennes is marvelous in it. Great choice man.
Six, No country : I really need to rewatch this one. I wasn't a big fan in theater because of the last act, and I haven't seen it since.
Ron, Iron Man : Good film. I wasn't tired of marvel back then.
Shryke, Slevin : It was a fun and smart little film.
Surfer, 28 Days later : This film is among the Top 5 of the most cited or what ? Great zombie flick.
Tranny, Kill Bill I : Love it, cool and fun.
UDM, Sky Captain : Now here's a big surprise. Mmmmm. I haven't seen it since theater, I remember the film being clumsy at times but so bold esthaetically and so ambitious, it was quite impressive and interesting.
W, Old School : Fun comedy.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks: Not a big fan of this film. I think it's trying to hard to be self-consciously hip, and it's far more conservative (narrative-wise)than it thinks it is.
Boosch: Trippy, in a very bad way, which makes it such a great film
Chien: I'm very disappointed in you, Chien. I was expecting some obscure Korean films that no one has ever seen or ever will see to dominate your Top 5.
John: He's such a divisive director, and this is a divisive film - has he gone too far into his own world? I think the ultimate moral of the story, and the advances in visual storytelling make it one of his great films.
Ron: MCU's best.
Shryke: Haven't seen
Surf: One of the best horror films of all time. Thanks to 2 great Irish actors ;)
Tranny: I need both for the story to work, and don't think they're tonally different - there's plenty of tones zipping about in the first film too.
UDM: Think I saw some of it on TV, but besides the interesting visuals I wasn't engaged.
W: I've kinda seen. I kinda enjoyed.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:I'm very disappointed in you, Chien. I was expecting some obscure Korean films that no one has ever seen or ever will see to dominate your Top 5.
If it makes you feel better, my Top 3 is 100% non-english speaking ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Chien probably watched The Lord Of The Rings in the original Elvish. ;)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:Chien probably watched The Lord Of The Rings in the original Elvish. ;)
Why the hell would I watch it in any other way ??!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

BANKS

Kill Bill Vol. 1
(2003)

BUSCEMI

The Master
(2012)

CHIENFANTOME

Amelie
(Le Fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain) (2001) - I think I’ll always remember the day Amelie was released in France. April 25, 2001. Because I watched the trailer over and over and over before it was released. I loved it so much, I couldn’t wait for that April 25th to arrive. And I fell in love with the film the moment I watched it. And every time I watch it since, I fall in love all over again. I fall for for Jeunet’s universe, for the characters, for the dialogues, but most of all I fall for the emotions the film gives life to. There is so much love in this film, so much humanity, so much hope. This is story of a young woman who tries to give joy in other people’s lives, but doesn’t know how to do it in her own. This is a film about our own craving for happiness, and how you can find joy in the simplest thing, or the most common person. This films lifts you up, and makes you feel like nothing can happen to you as long as you find love in your life. This is a film that makes you happy. And you’ll fall in love with Audrey Tautou. I fall for her every time I watch the film, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUECWi5pX7o

JOHNERLE

Inside Llewyn Davis
(2013) - Many of my favourite musicians are people who I think are grossly underrated, so when I watch Inside Llewyn Davis I can't help but see shades of Stuart Adamson, Pat Dinizio, or Chris Bell. It was inspired by the life of Dave Van Ronk, a folk musician who influenced and was ultimately overshadowed by Bob Dylan, and it's about the fickleness of fame, and how talent, desire, and hard work are no guarantee of anything. Sorry, Millenials, but it's true. And as someone who often feels frustrated with the way his life has turned out, I found it very easy to sympathize with Llewyn's plight, and completely related to his sense of bafflement over the kinds of music people choose to listen to. The movie features a star-making performance from Oscar Isaac, an incredible folk soundtrack, and the best performance by a cat in the history of film.
https://youtu.be/t-vC6DZJmlw

NUMBERSIX

The Royal Tenenbaums
(2001) – Wes Anderson has made many great films, but he has still yet to top this magnificent film about a New York family in individual and collective crisis. Anderson’s favourite topic, that of bad fathers, is perfectly realised in the charming but childish Royal Tenenbaum, who fails at helping his depressed son, his lost daughter, and his other son who is overprotective about his own children. Each character is imbued with a sadness and a need for help, while the film manages to be stylish and witty too. And despite the quirkiness of it all, there is tragedy and beauty throughout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSTjyCbYrNg

RON BURGUNDY

Sunshine
(2007)

SHRYKESPEARE

How to Train Your Dragon
(2010) - For animated films, of which I've had so many on my list, this one is at the top. An absolute marvel in storytelling, as a puny Viking's son, desperate to prove himself but unable to do so in a way that his father will approve of, shows them that intelligence, reason and a kind heart are not detriments but assets, even amidst a throng of hard-headed warriors. The organic relationship that develops between Hiccup and Toothless is fascinating to watch, and the cast of supporting characters add such life and color to the tapestry that I found myself going back and watching this film again and again.  

One of the best scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5JHOYmfPpo

SURFER

It Follows

TRANSFORMERS

The 40-Year Old Virgin
(2005) - The 40-Year Old Virgin is one of those transcendent, earth-shattering movies that will stick with me as long as I live. Not only did it introduce me to a number of my current favorite Hollywood figures (Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Judd Apatow), it showed me that R-rated comedies could have a massive heart without sacrificing any of the raunchy laughs. To this day, I've never seen a better comedy and I'd honestly be surprised if I ever did.

UNDEADMONKEY

Howl's Moving Castle
(2004)

W

Scott Pilgrim vs the World
(2010)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks, Kill Bill Vol. 1 - QT's masterpiece. Maybe the best fight scene EVER.

Chien, Amelie - I've not seen this, but I must say... I would have bet a stack of cash this was going to be your #1. Wasn't this #1 when we did the All Time countdown a few years ago? (I'm too tired to look it up.)

Ron B, Sunshine - great sci-fi film.

UDM, Howl's Moving Castle - seen it, don't remember it.

W, Scott Pilgrim vs the World - Ingenious, underrated film.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks: Another splitter, eh?
Boosch: First appearance in the list? I liked it, particularly the performances, but it got a little lost at times.
Chien: Beautiful visuals and mood.
John: Came close to making my list.
Ron B: Great first half, but the second half lets it down.
Shryke: Haven't seen.
Surf: Amazingly atmospheric. Made my Top 10 too.
Tranny: A funny and sweet comedy. You're right, that's rare.
UDM: Usual Ghibli sense of wonder, but I wish it developed its world more.
W: Fantastically directed film.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

In which a certain Christopher Nolan makes multiple appearances to no one's surprise, but probably to someone's chagrin.

BANKS

The Dark Knight
(2008)

BUSCEMI

Memento
(2000)

CHIENFANTOME

Memories of Murder
(2003) - In 1980’s South Korea, a series of murder in a countryside village puts the local police to shame. A cop from Seoul arrives in town to help them solve the case. This is how you could summarize the storyline of the greatest crime thriller this century has seen, and probably one of the greatest ever. But Bong Joon-ho’s film isn’t just the best crime thriller there is. It’s also an amazing political film, set in the backdrops of the end of the South Korean dictatorship. The policemen, who are our heroes, also represent, in the eyes of the population, the law, the force, and the government, and thus have a real hard time trusting them. “Memories of Murder” shows a messy investigation, but it is, in fact, a messy political situation that is depicted through that, as the country, and the society, are changing. The interaction between the investigation and the political turmoil in the backdrop deepens the story and the characters. To be honest this isn’t something I caught on the first viewing of the film. Maybe because  I didn’t know so much about Korean back then. But it is something that stroke me the second time i saw it, years later, and it suddenly made my vision, and my love for the film, whole. And even if you don’t necessarily catch that, Memories of Murder is still an immense crime thriller, one that will haunt you for a long time. The final shot of the film sits alongside the greatest in cinema History for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtOutxGJK5o

JOHNERLE

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
(2001) - I was born in 1972, so the early 80s were formative years for me. At that time, Dungeons & Dragons was at the peak of its popularity and fantasy films were all the rage in Hollywood. Conan The Barbarian, Dragonslayer, Ladyhawke, Legend, Excalibur, The Dark Crystal, The Neverending Story, Willow, the list goes on and on, all the way down to B-movie trash like Krull and Beastmaster. My still-growing brain soaked it all in, and after fantasy films fell out of favour, I kept playing D&D computer games well into the late 90s. And in all that time I somehow never read or saw any version of Tolkein's work. Then, when Peter Jackson brought the Lord Of The Rings to the big screen, I was stunned to learn that the Forgotten Realms of D&D were a blatant rip-off of Middle Earth, right down to having a race called Halflings. I discovered that Tolkein had created the template for almost everything I knew about the fantasy genre, and that The Lord Of The Rings was a movie franchise I'd been waiting for my whole life without even realizing it. As everyone who has seen it will attest to, it did not disappoint, and the Fellowship Of The Ring is clearly the best of the trilogy. It's the greatest fantasy film ever made.

NUMBERSIX

Scott Pilgrim Versus The World
(2010) – I know, this doesn’t seem like the kind of film that should be anyone’s favourite (or second favourite, in my case). Seen as a box office failure and a disappointing departure from the director’s excellent Cornetto Trilogy, I maintain that is nevertheless the film of this generation. We’re a generation of media-savvy folk, constantly quoting and referencing cultural units, full of irony, clued into a fast-paced lifestyle. And all of these elements are replicated in this quick-witted barrage of fun, fighting, and hyperactive pastiche that’s not afraid to point out how narcissistic we are but also not afraid to find joy in our collective identity. Oh, and it’s about a teenager who has to fight his girlfriend’s exes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-ioR1Se14

RON BURGUNDY

The Dark Knight
(2008)

SHRYKESPEARE

V for Vendetta
(2005) - Hugo Weaving deserves so much praise for his role as V, acting with such gravitas and emotion despite the fact that you NEVER SEE HIS FACE. One man, acting (nearly) alone, trying to topple a hegemonic dictator that has turned England into his own personal fiefdom, is the ULTIMATE in underdog stories. And he does it with such flair and style that you can't help but root for him. ("My turn....")  Natalie Portman is sympathetic if not overly convincing, and Stephen Rea's performance is understated yet crucial to the plot. What an absolutely spectacular movie.  I can't help but wonder if a man in Guy Fawkes mask will rise up against Senor Trump someday...

SURFER

Incendies

TRANSFORMERS

The Departed
(2006) - If you thought I could do a 100-movie countdown without listing the Pet Sounds of Southie crime dramas, you'd be fahkin mistaken kehd. Like most people that were born in the late 80's/early 90's, The Departed was the first Martin Scorsese film I ever saw and to put it lightly, it was one hell of an introduction. Themes of loyalty, family and the thin line between good and evil are clearly hallmarks of the gangster genre, but I've never seen a film handle these genre tropes as adeptly as The Departed does. The way this film develops its organized crime underworld and the contradictory nature of every character's behavior makes this a riveting, essential piece of filmmaking that's impressive even for a virtuoso director like Scorsese.

UNDEADMONKEY

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
(2003)

W

Elf
(2003)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks and Ron: I'm still surprised this film isn't on everyone's list. Seems Inception has been picked more times? TDK is, in my opinion, the only Nolan film that rivals Memento. Amazing stuff, that has been often copied (including Nolan himself) and never equaled.
Boosch: And speaking of Memento... beautiful film. Have any of you watched the version that goes in chronological order? I have it on my Special Edition DVD but never bothered.
Chien: Ah Chien Chien. I remember you having this high on your Top 100 of all time, and being curious about it. It was on my To See list for years, until this Christmas I just bought the DVD for something like €5. This year I watched it, and boy was I impressed. A detective story, one full of frustration and corruption, with dashes of bizarre humour. It's a superb film, and if I had seen it sooner it would certainly have appeared in my own Top 100.
John: I agree that the first part is the best - it sets up the world so well and has such amazing little moment, like when Frodo hides behind the tree from the Whatsitsname on the horse. Or how we wait so long to see that big fiery demon thing at the end.
Shryke: And this round was going so well ;) I still hate this film, for so many reasons. I think all the performances are terrible, so OTT. I don't think Weaving is good, he's just overly-theatrical. And if the action was good I wouldn't mind so much, but I found it actually forgettable. If the appeal is some sort of love of rebellion against the system, I appreciate that, but in every aspect of its execution I feel it fell flat.
Surf: Wow, this is a surprise. But a good one. It made my list, and indeed it's one of Villeneuve's best films. It was my introduction to him and I loved every second of it. So many twists and turns without coming across as contrived.
Tranny: Without doubt it's a slick, entertaining film. Scorsese directs as if he's a 20 year old.
UDM: Really not for me. Captin Jack was enjoyable, but everyone else was a bore.
W: I'm going to say I've seen this, even if never in one sitting. It's very funny.

And lastly, well done John for taking over the task of posting this every day. We both know it's a somewhat painful process, so kudos for going through it.

Chien posts his #1 film tomorrow. I bet it's an Adam Sandler movie. He's usually In The Mood For something like that.

In fact I'm gonna guess what everyone else's #1 is.

Boosch: I already know
Banks: Tough call. Probably LOTR?
W: A comedy
UDM: Already know
Tranny: Some big, thunderous film, like TDK
Surf: Some indie/arthouse breakout that's on my list.
Shryke: Probably an animation. Or a film I hate ;)
Ron B: Really tough call. Something mainstream?
John: Haven't a clue. Maybe a superior indie horror? Or a smart comedy?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks, Ron B - The Dark Knight - a damn good film.

Buscemi, Memento - still hated it

JohnErle, LOTR: Fellowship - outstanding choice. Brilliant start to a brilliant trilogy. I never was into D&D but I agree with everything you said.

Six, Scott Pilgrem vs. The World - Wow, you surprise me! A very interesting choice that I'm going to have to see again. And regarding your predictions of my #1? Wrong, and wrong.

Transformers, The Departed - Meh.

UDM, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - on my list. Great choice.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I will post Chien's #100-#2 as a whole list later tonight, and will do the same for everyone else prior to their posting their #1.

I will post the Collective Top 100 of RS at the beginning of May. I'm quite curious what #1 will be.