Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Post by Buscemi »

I've said this before but my main problem with Wreck-It Ralph is that it felt like a long commercial for the video game industry. When it should have been a film that went after the problems with video games, it seems to do the opposite and celebrate them (it could have been The Secret of NIMH and became The Wizard). I pretty much gave up on the film once Sonic the Hedgehog showed up.

And I remember reading somewhere that the sequel will be one long ad for the Mario franchise. Of course, Sony holding the film rights to the Nintendo library might have led to a different script being written.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

CHIENFANTOME 96. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) - LIke collatoral before, a movie i had always meant to see but never got around to it and who knows if i ever will

JOHNERLE Bridesmaids (2011) - I really enjoy this movie and while i admit Mcarthy's needs a career makeover and her last few movies have been quite mediocre, i'm still a fan of her.

NICODEMUS Guardians of the Galaxy (2014 - i remember really enjoying this in theaters but i've seen bits and pieces of it since and i can't really remember what was so great about it. i'm going to have to rewatch it completely one day.

NUMBERSIX The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) - couldnt stand this movie.

RON BURGUNDY Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - this is one of my favorite marvel films, it'll appear a bit later.

SHRYKESPEARE Gladiator (2000) – also on my list

SURFER Tyrannosaur [2011] dont know it. looked it up and read spoilers, sounds intense.

TRANSFORMERSCreed (2015) - haven't seen

W Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) I"m also in the loathe camp.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIENFANTOME

The Mist (2008) - This is one I have only seen in theatres, if I watched it again I might put it higher, or get it out of my top. But I remember vividly how shocked I was by this Hollywood film that was bolder than anything Hollywood had produced in a long time when it was released. Frank Darabont adapting another story from Stephen King, after Shawshank Redemption. Such a different film, but such an unbelievably dark film that haunted me for days after watching it. Not only a great mystery/horror film, but also a sharp take on human fanaticism and the nature of evil. Come to think of it, I might try and watch it again, it might be even more interesting in 2017 than it was in 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhCKXJNGzN8

JOHNERLE

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - The love story subplot is typical Broadway fluff, but the main story is the best, darkest musical-for-people-who-hate-musicals since Little Shop Of Horrors.

NICODEMUS

United 93 (2006) (dir; Paul Greengrass)

NUMBERSIX

The Wrestler (2008) - Darren Aronofsky returned to his indie roots after the massive failure of The Fountain. Unlike his previous films, this is a much grittier affair, dealing with the life of a small-time wrestler struggling with health issues and a frayed relationship with his daughter. It’s powerful, moving, and makes you understand the desires of its main character, who was played so well by Mickey Rourke. Every big film-maker should try to return to their roots to make a film as small and as strong as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fTnTP49FW0

RON BURGUNDY

Inside Man (2006) - With a criss-crossing plot and twisting storyline, Inside Man my favourite ‘Heist’ type movie in my list. An excellent cast and solid direction from Spike Lee propels this sometimes bland genre into something more. I really like Clive Owen’s (at the height of his fame and probably acting career so far) protagonist: Dalton Russell and his cat and mouse game with Denzel’s Det. Keith Frazier. Right from the very beginning the movie sucks you with a curious setting for a supposedly perfect bank robbery, the man is in jail, and so tells you his story of how it got done. Some underlying truths from people in power give it a minor subplot which thickens the story even more.

SHRYKESPEARE

Elysium (2013) – The first of two films on my list that involves Matt Damon and space travel (can you guess the other one??). I’ve loved most of what Neill Blomkamp has created (and another one that you can probably guess is ALSO coming up later), and this futuristic story where the rich elite live high on the hog on a posh space station while the filthy huddled masses work themselves to death on Earth below is just fun to watch. Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley are at their unlikable best. Also starring Diego Luna in his first sci-fi story (can you guess the … ah, never mind).

SURFER

Room [2015] (Dir. Lenny Abrahamson)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Ci-pAL4eE

TRANSFORMERS

Source Code (2011) - The flood of 2011 films on the early portion of my list continues with sci-fi virtuoso Duncan Jones' sophomore film. Source Code is a grade-A piece of mindfuckery that entertained the hell out of me and played a crucial role in developing my admiration for Jake Gyllenhaal as an actor.

UNDEADMONKEY

Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) – I’m well aware of the controversy around this film, but I didn’t at the time of watching it and honestly it was just one of the most beautiful movies I’ve ever seen. I also enjoyed that it was in English ( I didn’t watch foreign films at the time, don’t judge, I was 17). And while I understand some of the reasons people malign this film, I will always love it for showing me a new world I had never seen before and for leading me to even better films that will be further down my list.

W

Orange County (2002)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: An incredibly intense and intelligent horror. Definitely worth a rewatch, as it's richer each time.
John: Haven't seen this - the combo of it being a musical and a late-era Burton film repels me.
Nico: Came close to making my list. An intense experience about heroism.
Ron B: I think Spike Lee brought some interesting directorial quirks to it, but beyond that it's just a standard heist film
Elysium: Gave it a wide berth after the reviews were so poor.
Surf: I bumped into Lenny in a pub over Christmas! This is his best film to date. Incredibly moving.
Tranny: A very enjoyable and entertaining sci-fi thriller. Didn't make my list but it's so very good. Hopefully Warcraft was just a misstep for Young Mr Bowie.
UDM: I remember most of the criticisms were about the film being boring! Never appealed to me, there's lots of visually stunning Asian cinema out there, I don't need Hollywood's take on it.
W: A very under-rated dramedy.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

John, Sweeney Todd : One of the Burton films I really hated. Despite its dark tone, it was so corny.

Nico, United 93 : Excellent, tense film.

Six, The Wrestler : A good film, although I wasn't taken away by it.

Ron, Inside Man : A solid heist film, very pleasant.

Shryke, Elysium : Far from my favourite sci-fi films of the 21st century, but it was good.

Surfer, Room : A powerful film.

Tranny, Source Code : I rewatched it on TV recently, and it's really great. It's fun and dark at the same time, and manages to surprise even when you think you figured it out. I could have put it in my Top 100.

UDM, Memoirs of a Geisha : Ewwwww, I can't follow you on that phony film which can't even be saved by the presence of the goddess Gong Li.

W, Orange County : Mmmm, I don't think I've seen this one.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Six, The Wrestler - Good, not great.

Ron B, Inside Man - liked this a lot. Nice twist at the end.

Tranny, Source Code - coming up on my list. Loved this.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIENFANTOME

Take Shelter (2010) - Jeff Nichols is one of the most remarkable american filmmakers to have emerged in the last 10 years. Each film is one of my most anticipated, and in the end one of my favourites of the year. I wish I had rewatched “Shotgun Stories” before this top because I was this close to include it too, as I was with “Mud” and “Midnight Special”, actually. But “Take Shelter” is probably the film that put him on the map of American cinema. A film that almost chokes you with anguish, and curiosity, and amazement. It got me holding my seat so feverishly. It tackles America’s psyche so well, and takes it so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUraDx3oFVg

JOHNERLE

Prometheus (2012) - Visually stunning sci-fi with a couple of great performances, which is enough to make up for the occasional lapses in the script. And I like how it dared to be different, unlike the teaser for Alien: Covenant which felt way too familiar.

NICODEMUS

Monsters, Inc. (2001) (dir; Pete Docter, Lee Unkrich, David Silverman)

NUMBERSIX

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - Now THIS is how you do a blockbuster. It’s one of the few films in the last few years that has managed to be a hugely successful commercial film that also delivers on characterisation. That’s because the film doesn’t insist on having action at every opportunity, but instead builds on the relationship between a growing Caesar, his benign but blinkered “owner,” and the external factors that tear them apart and force Caesar to rebel. It’s an interesting film because the villain is the main character, so you feel sympathy despite knowing what lies ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaJtVu_5g6Q

RON BURGUNDY

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

SHRYKESPEARE

The Good Dinosaur (2015) – This one pretty much ended Pixar’s run of mega-successful streaks, but I really liked it, far more than other prehistoric animated far like Ice Age (any of them), Dinosaur, and The Croods. The role-reversal of an intelligent dinosaur teen and his pet human boy is endearing and touching, and the animation, as usual, is top-notch.

SURFER

Force Majeure [2014] (Dir. Ruben Ostlund)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjjzVbTBF8o

TRANSFORMERS

Me, Myself and Irene (2000) - The 2000's have not been kind to the Farrelly Brothers as they've cranked out a whole lot of crap (Fever Pitch, Stuck on You, Dumb and Dumber To) and subsequently descended to the bottom of the comedy food chain. While their recent output has been very underwhelming, they can take solace in the fact that they started off the new millennium with their last (?) essential comedy. Me, Myself and Irene is an absolutely bonkers movie focusing on a pleasant, mild-mannered Rhode Island state trooper (Jim Carrey) who develops an aggressive split personality after years of being taking advantage of by the people around him. Carrey is at his eccentric best and The Farrelly's trademark of mixing gross-out humor with genuine warmth has never been stronger than it is here.

UNDEADMONKEY

Aeon Flux (2005) – I love this film, I know it’s bad, but as a 17 year old I don’t think you could find anyone hotter than Charlize Theron. You probably still can’t. Guilty Pleasure #1.

W

Hot Rod (2007)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Still Nichols's best, in my opinion. And such great performances.
John E: I watched this a second time, just to be sure. But nope, decent visuals alone isn't enough for this. Like almost everything written by Lindelof, whatever is gained by a dense mythos is ruined by terrible characterisation, dialogue, and completely unbelievable reactions. I'm pretty sure Lindelof is secretly a robot with a learning disorder, who has some concept of how a human acts but always gets it wrong.
Nico: A beautiful film - a great mixture of gags and some touching moments.
Ron: Dude, get on that
Shryke: And from a great Pixar film to a not-so-great one. While the concept had potential, the problem is that the film plays it so safe throughout that it ends up being very unmemorable. Definitely lower-tier Pixar for me.
Surf: Love the dry, offbeat humour in this film
Tranny: I'm pretty sure I have seen this. It's okay, maybe a little too far in the Annoying Carey Scale.
UDM: Hah, are you deliberately trolling us with your picks ;) Admittedly I haven't seen this, but it has been so universally hated that I don't think the prospect of watching Theron would make me want to. You know, the internet did exist in 2005 ;)
W: Haven't seen it.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Chien (Take Shelter): Good movie, and indeed great performances all round.
Johnerle: (Prometheus): I agree that the film is visually stunning, but i was a little disappointed leaving the cinema.
Nico (Monsters, Inc): Almost made my top, great movie. The sequel wasn't close
Six (Rise of the Planet of the Apes): Another really good movie, and perfect for cinema.
Shryke (The Good Dinosaur): Surprisingly haven't watch it yet.
Surfer (Force Majeure): Havent seen or heard of it til now.
Tranny (Me, Myself and Irene): Good pick, Jim Carrey at the top of his game.
UDM (Aeon Flux): I didnt finish this...
W (Hot Rod): I tried watching this back when it came out, didnt finish it, then tried again last year and did get through it. I thought it was average, sorry W.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

John, Prometheus : I so wanted this fim to be great. The trailers were amazing, but in the end the writing is so flawed, the characters and situations si unbelievable, it ruined the potential of the film.
Nico, Monsters Inc : A lovable film from Pixar.
Six, Rise of the planet : A great blockbuster indeed. I remember thinking making another Apes movie, and possibly saga, was a bad idea. I was wrong.
Ron B, Azkaban : One of only two Potter films I really like, even if it's far from Top 100 material for me. BUt definitely a good Potter.
Shryke, Good Dinosaur : I happen to adore this one. I honestly thought it would be a minor film when I went to see it, but it moved me deeply. I was this close to include it in my Top 100. I think it arrived at the right time for me, because I saw it shortly after the November 13 attacks in Paris, and as unbelievably as it may sound, this film deals with the difficulty of moving one when one has been touched by a tragedy, and the necessity to live together despite the differences, and in the wake of the attacks here, it's something that was understated in the film, but felt very right. This really touched me and it made me cry. I did not include the film in my Top 100 because I still feel the circumstances may have biased my taking of the film, but to me it still feels like a film with a great, great sensibility that everyone should see. Bravo for including it in your Top Shryke.
Surfer, Force Majeure : An excellent exemple of the quality of contemporary Swedish cinema.
Tranny, Irene : I think I didn't see it since theater, but I think it was very funny.
UDM, Aeon Flux : Dude, two in a row I hated, I'm very curious of the rest of your Top :lol:
W, Hot Rod : I've actually discovered it on TV a few months ago, and it was really fun.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIENFANTOME

Unbreakable (2000) Shyamalan may not be the most consistent filmmaker there is, and he may too often be reduced to a director that lies the foundations of his films on final twists. He is still one of the greatest storytellers in American cinema working today. He knows how to tell a story, how to craft characters. Sometimes it doesn’t really work, but when it does, as with “Unbreakable”, it makes for an impressive moment of cinema, observing the myth of the superhero without making a superhero film. (P.S. : I wish there were still trailers like this one that sells a film while showing as little as possible, today this would only be a teaser)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5eCFjjQFxY

JOHNERLE

MacGruber (2010) - Batshit crazy, with a unique comic sensibility from the strange and wonderful mind of Will Forte. Not for everyone, apparently, but it slayed me.

NICODEMUS

High Fidelity (2000)

NUMBERSIX

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - It seems a long time ago, and it kinda was. But about 12 years ago Charlie Kaufmann was going to change Hollywood with his quirky, bizarre stories about the bizarre world of the human subconscious. Here, a man decides to have all memories of his ex erased, but during the procedure his subconscious fights to keep those memories alive. It’s a beautiful, imaginative film about revisiting love rather than focusing on the bad times and trying to forget them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwQVsB6k24Q

RON BURGUNDY

The Incredibles (2004)

SHRYKESPEARE

Now You See Me (2013) – This summer film really surprised me with how slick it was. Four stage magicians team up to create an act that is beyond anything they could accomplish on their own, and apparently use their abilities to commit crime capers. I have not seen the sequel yet, but I’m sure I will. Any film with Caine and Freeman in the supporting cast has to have something going for it!

SURFER

Enemy [2013] (Dir. Denis Villeneuve)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJuaAWrgoUY

TRANSFORMERS

Remember the Titans (2000) - You can chalk this one up to my unabashed love of inspirational sports films. The against-all-odds underdog story is too damn moving, the subplot surrounding the relationship between blacks and whites in post-Segregation Virginia is too damn interesting and Denzel Washington's performance is too damn good for my faint little heart to possibly resist this.

UNDEADMONKEY

Jason Bourne (2016)

W

The Fault in Our Stars (2014)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

John, MacGruber : Haven't seen it, but it did sound fun.
Nico, High Fidelity : I remember really enjoying it back when it was released, although I haven't seen it since, and it's been more than 16 years !
Six, Eternal Sunshine : A marvel of a film, in which the incredible writing feels perfectly at home with the crazy and unafraid mind of Gondry. Amazing cinema.
Ron, Incredibles : A really effective film from Pixar, great action, great visuals.
Shryke, Now you see me : Meh. That's what I thought when I saw it. Haven't seen the sequel and have no intention to see it.
Surfer, Enemy : A twisted and weird film from Villeneuve, and those are two qualities with him, undeniably.
Tranny, Remember the titans : I haven't seen this one in a while, but I really loved it. I think I have the DVD somewhere. I'm no US football fan, but this film has got great characters, and offers both laughter and emotion. Probably the first time I saw Gosling on the big screen and he was fun in it.
UDM, Jason Bourne : You keep them coming buddy, another one I didn't like. This is such an unnecessary film, bringing absolutely nothing to the table, just same old same old. It bored me, big time.
W, The fault in our stars : I didn't see it, I was certain this was something I wouldn't like.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: I'm not a fan of Shymalan's films - any of them. The reliance on the twist makes them so contrived and rarely worth rewatching. While this film isn't a plot-holey as his others, I still never felt it sustained its run-time.
John E: Haven't seen it, although I'm a fan of Will Forte (and had the pleasure of working with him). Have you seen The Last Man?
Nico: A very good film that probably will resonate more with me the next time I watch it.
Ron B: Sits in the middle of my Pixar list, in that it's a great film
Shryke: Saw most of this on TV the other night, and I have to say the twists and reveals towards the end were simply ridiculous.
Surf: A few Villeneuve films will feature on my list. This didn't make it, but it's superb. That ending.
Tranny: Seen bits on TV, but felt a bit Oscar-baity for me
UDM: Interesting. Haven't seen it but friends who adore the first 3 didn't like this one.
W: Haven't seen it.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

CHIENFANTOME The Mist (2008) - Was not a fan of this movie, i heard such great things but was really disappointed, none of the characters were likable and just because an ending is shocking doesn't make the movie good.

JOHNERLE Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - Yes, great choice, coming up on my list.

NICODEMUS United 93 (2006) - Decent movie, it just always gets me that when we have movies based on true stories like this. Theres more an element of fantasy, unlike something that's based on a biography. At least in a biography or Autobiography, the stories come first hand, here the stories are pieced together.

NUMBERSIX The Wrestler (2008) - Hated this movie. The main character was unlikable, the story boring, the ending pointless.

RON BURGUNDY Inside Man (2006) - another great movie that's coming up on my list.

SHRYKESPEARE Elysium (2013) – I enjoyed it for what it was but didn't think it was anything that stood out that year or genre.

SURFER Room [2015] - havent seen

TRANSFORMERS Source Code (2011) - I was bored. cant say much else.

W Orange County (2002) - Havent Seen

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

CHIENFANTOME Take Shelter (2010) - I was really intrigued by this movie, Didn't love it enough to put on my list, but wouldn't mind re watching again sometime soon.

JOHNERLE Prometheus (2012) - I loved this movie until the one running scene. I wont spoil it for anyone, but seriously, you could have had her run to the side and seem smart and still have the same outcome instead of being so stupid and just run straight. it's a pet peeve of mine when it shows up anywhere.

NICODEMUS Monsters, Inc. (2001) Really Good Pixar, just not great.

NUMBERSIX Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) - Agree with you there. great movie.

RON BURGUNDY Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) Coming up on my list too

SHRYKESPEARE The Good Dinosaur (2015) – I can't agree with you here. It was bad, not as bad as Cars 1 and 2 bad, but bad.

SURFER Force Majeure [2014] - havent heard of it.

TRANSFORMERS Me, Myself and Irene (2000) - havent seen

W Hot Rod (2007) - yea i couldnt finish this movie.