#1 - Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

#1 - Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)

Post by NSpan »

Recommended Movie-Club Sandwich: Boxcar Bertha (1972)
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: #1 - Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)

Post by NSpan »

Not gonna bother importing the old thread.. Check out the Fantaverse BBS for some good Scorsese-related conversation on this entry...

Anyway, just finally watched Who's That Knocking at My Door.. a must-see for Scorsese-fanatics, but everyone else should probably take a pass.. At this point, it seems like a big part of his creative motivation is some sort of "therapy-through-filmmaking" (you know, with all the Catholic guilt stuff that gets reprised in Mean Streets).. And the fantasy sex scene was totally out of left field--though, in Scorsese's defense, those scenes were shot and included after the fact to secure distribution).. Harvey Keitel sure set a precedent for himself by going full-frontal in his very first role..

All in all, it's interesting to watch in terms of Scorsese's developmental growth as a director--but I think he made this one for himself.. Had it remained that way, the unfortunate quote-unquote sexploitation scene (set to the Doors' "The End" interestingly enough) would never have been included and the project would be better off for it... but, on the other hand, I guess we fans have the studio to thank for this ever seeing the light of day...
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: #1 - Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)

Post by numbersix »

Totally agree about Who's That. In many ways it felt like a stylistic blueprint for Mean Streets, with some clumsily added Catholic guilt. It's also worth watching for any aspiring film-maker.

And is there any film where Harvey Keitel doesn't take his clothes off?