#18 - Scum (1979)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

#18 - Scum (1979)

Post by NSpan »

Scum (1979) - ORIGINAL BBC VERSION
Directed by: Alan Clarke
Written by: Roy Minton

Recommended Movie-Club Sandwich:
Scum (1979) - THEATRICAL REMAKE
or
Nil by Mouth (1997)
Last edited by NSpan on January 19th, 2010, 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: #18 - Scum (1979)

Post by Buscemi »

Which version? The BBC version or its theatrical remake?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Good question... I actually sent an e-mail today to my girlfriend's biological-mother's husband (who is FROM Ireland) asking him the same question... I should hear back in the next day or so.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I've always been meaning to get around to this- it's meant to be amazing, and worth watching even for the curiosity of seeing a young Ray Winstone.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I was recommended the original BBC version (as opposed to the film remake). So I'll be checking that out this week. Try and get your hands on it. FYI: Netflix carries both.

UPDATE: I clarified in the initial post that the original BBC version is the Movie Club Pick. But I went ahead and added the remake as the recommended double-feature.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Scum (BBC) - Good movie. Not quite as "brutal" or "shocking" as I expected... More of a twist on One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest--while both stories are an attack on the hypocrisy of modern penal "rehabilitation," Scum shows that, oftentimes, all parties involved (inmates and guards alike) are prisoners to the corrupt system... The whole process is very cyclical. Also, very cool to see a young Ray Winstone kicking as much ass as ever..

while most of the dialogue is comprehensible to my Yankee ears, i found the subtitles useful for a few of the thicker accents (not to mention some of the more unfamiliar slang)

Scum (THEATRICAL REMAKE) - Almost too tired to write this (having a hard time keeping my eyes open), but this was nearly a shot-for-shot remake with the majority of the cast reprising their roles. Clearly, much better production values. I actually liked the "Archer" character better in the original. Aside from that, I thought the low-budget appearance of the BBC version actually added to its impact. While the remake dated far better, I think I might prefer the BBC "play."