Burgundy's Top 20 Must See's

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Burgundy's Top 20 Must See's

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Amadeus(1984) = Already halfway in since yesterday, will finish off tonight
8/10
The incredible story of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, told in flashback mode by Antonio Salieri - now confined to an insane asylum. (160 mins.)

Director: Milos Forman
Stars: F. Murray Abraham, Tom Hulce, Elizabeth Berridge, Simon Callow

The Guard(2011) = Gleeson and Cheadle, what a combo! Plus good reviews
7.5/10
An unorthodox Irish policeman with a confrontational personality is teamed up with an uptight FBI agent to investigate an international drug-smuggling ring. (96 mins.)

Director: John Michael McDonagh
Stars: Brendan Gleeson, Don Cheadle, Mark Strong, Liam Cunningham

Blood In, Blood Out(1993) = Found this gem with imdbs help, my type of movie
7.7/10
Based on the true life experiences of poet Jimmy Santiago Baca, the film focuses on half-brothers Paco and Cruz... (180 mins.)

Director: Taylor Hackford
Stars: Damian Chapa, Jesse Borrego, Benjamin Bratt, Enrique Castillo

Young Frankenstein(1974) = watched half, then fell asleep thanks to beer, will start from beginning, not drunk
8.0/10
Dr. Frankenstein's grandson, after years of living down the family reputation, inherits granddad's castle and repeats the experiments. (106 mins.)

Director: Mel Brooks
Stars: Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Marty Feldman, Peter Boyle

Knockin' on Heaven's Door(1997) = Fan of Til, plus im german, plus look at that rating!
7.8/10
Two young men, Martin and Rudi, both suffering from terminal cancer, get to know each other in a hospital room... (87 mins.)

Director: Thomas Jahn
Stars: Til Schweiger, Jan Josef Liefers, Thierry van Werveke, Moritz Bleibtreu

Before Sunrise(1995) = watched half, then thought i want a night like that myself being in Europe and all, should finish soon
8.1/10
A young man and woman meet on a train in Europe, and wind up spending one romantic evening together in Vienna. Unfortunately, both know that this will probably be their only night together. (105 mins.)

Director: Richard Linklater
Stars: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy

The Outlaw Josey Wales(1976) = Have a DVD of this but not here, number 1 clint unseen film, solid synopsis
7.8/10
A Missouri farmer joins a Confederate guerilla unit and winds up on the run from the Union soldiers who murdered his family. (135 mins.)

Director: Clint Eastwood
Stars: Clint Eastwood, Sondra Locke, Chief Dan George, Bill McKinney

The Wild Bunch(1969) = great rating, simply a must see, i liked Leone, so maybe this will be good
8.1/10
An aging group of outlaws look for one last big score as the "traditional" American West is disappearing around them. (134 mins.)

Director: Sam Peckinpah
Stars: William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan, Edmond O'Brien

Cinema Paradiso(1988) = watched half, then got disillusioned with the whole romance angle, should finish soon
8.5/10
A filmmaker recalls his childhood, when he fell in love with the movies at his village's theater and formed a deep friendship with the theater's projectionist. (155 mins.)

Director: Giuseppe Tornatore
Stars: Philippe Noiret, Enzo Cannavale, Antonella Attili, Isa Danieli

Election(1999) = been on the the list for a long while
7.4/10
A high school teacher's personal life becomes complicated as he works with students during the school elections. (103 mins.)

Director: Alexander Payne
Stars: Matthew Broderick, Reese Witherspoon, Chris Klein, Jessica Campbell

Spartacus(1960) = the only big kubrick film i havent seen, somehow slipped through the viewing tube
8.0/10
The slave Spartacus leads a violent revolt against the decadent Roman empire.

Director: Stanley Kubrick
Stars: Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons, Charles Laughton

M(1931) = Ever since i saw the imdb top 250, this has been building watchability
8.6/10
When the police in a German city are unable to catch a child-murderer, other criminals join in the manhunt. (117 mins.)

Director: Fritz Lang
Stars: Peter Lorre, Ellen Widmann, Inge Landgut, Otto Wernicke

Stalker(1979) = look above, but learned about it through the director, never seen a russian film
8.1/10
Near a gray and unnamed city is the Zone, an alien place guarded by barbed wire and soldiers. Over his wife's numerous objections... (163 mins.)

Director: Andrey Tarkovskiy
Stars: Aleksandr Kaidanovsky, Alisa Frejndlikh, Anatoli Solonitsyn, Nikolai Grinko

Army of Darkness(1992) = saw the first 2 a while back, its time to finish the trilogy
7.5/10
A man is accidentally transported to 1300 A.D., where he must battle an army of the dead and retrieve the Necronomicon so he can return home. (81 mins.)

Director: Sam Raimi
Stars: Bruce Campbell, Embeth Davidtz, Marcus Gilbert, Ian Abercrombie

A Bridge Too Far(1977) = great cast, big fan of connery, finally pinned it down
7.3/10
An historic telling of the failed attempt to capture several bridges to Germany in World War II in a campaign called Operation Market-Garden. (175 mins.)

Director: Richard Attenborough
Stars: Sean Connery, Ryan O'Neal, Michael Caine, Laurence Olivier

A Simple Plan(1998) = The dvd cover is so familar too me, bout time i got familiar with the movie, plus i love Paxton and should see more pre spider Raimi
7.6/10
Two brothers and a friend find $4 million in the cockpit of a downed plane. The pilot is dead. No one is looking for the money. To keep it, all they have to do is wait. IT ALL SOUNDED SO SIMPLE... (121 mins.)

Director: Sam Raimi
Stars: Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton, Bridget Fonda, Brent Briscoe

Pee-wee's Big Adventure(1985) = Heard about this years ago, been on the list for a while
6.9/10
Eccentric man-child Pee-Wee Herman embarks on the big adventure of his life across the US mainland, as he sets out to find his beloved bike, when it is stolen in broad daylight. (90 mins.)

Director: Tim Burton
Stars: Paul Reubens, Elizabeth Daily, Mark Holton, Diane Salinger

Unforgiven(1992) = havent seen since i was young
7/10
Retired Old West gunslinger William Munny reluctantly takes on one last job, with the help of his old partner and a young man. (131 mins.)

Director: Clint Eastwood
Stars: Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris

Ran(1985) = Loved Seven Samurai
8.3/10
An elderly lord abdicates to his three sons, and the two corrupt ones turn against him. (162 mins.)

Director: Akira Kurosawa
Stars: Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Terao, Jinpachi Nezu, Daisuke Ryû

Duck, You Sucker(1971) = Want to see more Leone, and Coburn too.
7/10
An IRA explosives expert on the run in Mexico meets an amoral Mexican bandit; together they get drawn into the Mexican revolution. (157 mins.)

Director: Sergio Leone
Stars: Rod Steiger, James Coburn, Romolo Valli, Maria Monti
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Burgundy's Top 20 Must See's

Post by Buscemi »

I just watched Stalker (it was one of the few Tarkovsky films I haven't seen). Very fascinating.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Funny, I just went to see "Young Frankenstein" last weekend, brand new copy, in theater. Funny as hell ! Igor the assistant steals the film !

Otherwise it's a bunch of great films you list here Ron. Duck you Sucker ! I saw that one in theater last year, may not be as great as "Once upon a time in the West", but it's still so exhilarating. Funnily, the film is known in France as "Once upon a time the Revolution". I alos love "A simple plan", and think it is one underrated Raimi film.

You do seem to watch films half by half though Ron, I don't know how you do that ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Haha, yeah i know, watching a film half by half is a little uncommitted, but i always think, if a film is good enough, i wont be able to turn it off.

So Stalker is good then? coooool
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Stalker is great but it's a very different type of sci-fi compared to what we're generally used to (i.e.effects-driven with a dash of action). This is very much a cerebral film, even more so than 2001: A Space Odyssey. It asks questions about humanity and faith, with one of the best endings I've ever seen, but it's not a popcorn-muching movie. I'd watch Tarkovsky's Solaris first, and if you enjoyed that and was able to deal with the pace, then give Stalker (which I consdier to be a better film) a go.

Which reminds me, I really need to watch more Tarkovsky. I've yet to see Ivan's Childhood, Mirror, and The Sacrifice.

Also, Duck You Sucker is known as A Fistful of Dynamite over here (And Ron, if I knew you were interested in the film I would have takne you to Toner's Pub in Dublin, where one scene was actually filmed there).