Buscemi's 110 Favorite Films of the 2000's

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Buscemi's 110 Favorite Films of the 2000's

Post by silversurfer19 »

I thought it was a pretty obvious conclusion to come to that a day for New Zealand Christmas would also be set aside. You did get the memo, right...?

P.S Read your inbox!, man. Are you able to meet up in LA or does the kiwi stench put you off... Didn't want to pass up the chance to meet your girlfriend (and I guess you if you insist on tagging along). Surely she must be able to reveal what could possibly attract her to someone like you...

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:P.S Read your inbox!, man. Are you able to meet up in LA or does the kiwi stench put you off... Didn't want to pass up the chance to meet your girlfriend (and I guess you if you insist on tagging along). Surely she must be able to reveal what could possibly attract her to someone like you...
It's gonna be a squeeze for you guys--getting around in L.A. can be a hassle on any day... and you don't want to risk getting stuck in traffic somewhere when you need to be boarding a plane at LAX.

That said: hell yeah, man. My plan is to give you guys some good suggestions regarding what can actually be seen and/or done in the amount of time you're talking about. And I'm also going to make sure that Kate and I are nearby so we can personally show you around or (at least) grab a quick drink before you guys take off again.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Awesome. Helena and I have been having a look at maps etc. to see what is physically possible, and the most definite conclusion we think is that we will probably head for Santa Monica and spend the majority of our time in that area as its fairly close to the airport and seems like a cool enough place. Any further insiders info would be readily accepted. If you can get anywhere near there during the normal hours of the day then it''d be great to catch up.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:I have a bit of an ideological problem with this countdown. As much as I'd like to bash a bunch of movies I hate... I think the "no such thing as bad press" saying applies here. When I discover a project that I REALLY find objectionable, I stay quiet about it--hoping that it will simply fall by the wayside. You know, the same reason I haven't said a peep about that TV show starring the sister of the girl from "Bones." Or, for that matter: "Bones."
I'm the opposite, I guess. There's a lot of crap movies out there, but for the most part I find them more dull than offensive, so I don't bother talking about them. But there's nothing like a good ol' rant about something despicably bad.

Are you suggesting that if you post you #1 most hated film of all time, we'll be somehow tempted to seek it out? It's unlikely, and even if some of us were curious, I doubt any of us would actively pay to say a film the others hate (unless, of course, it's controversial and many others adore it - see my future list for reference).

But honestly, I'm looking at this list as far more irreverent, and mostly an excuse to create some debates that will more be about our humorous takes on films we dislike, rather than a serious discussion about the virtues and vices of cinema.

ARoode
Harry Tuttle

Post by ARoode »

I'll have to give the list some thought. Most of the ones I rate at the bottom of the barrel are direct to video or b-movie schlock that everyone with good sense isn't seeing anyway. I'll sift through the repressed memories for more mainstream garbage.
"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." -- Dag Hammarskjold

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Are you suggesting that if you post you #1 most hated film of all time, we'll be somehow tempted to seek it out? It's unlikely, and even if some of us were curious, I doubt any of us would actively pay to say a film the others hate (unless, of course, it's controversial and many others adore it - see my future list for reference).
Though inadvertently leading someone to financially contributing to a project that I think is garbage would be regrettable--I'm more concerned about simply wasting our collective time (and energy) actively thinking about and discussing such things.

A parallel that comes to mind is modern "reality" TV programming. I've noticed that a lot of the people who watch that stuff make sure to distance themselves from the source material by acknowledging that the featured characters are pretty much the dregs of society. But, in my opinion, that doesn't change anything: you're still watching the damn show, and you're still talking about it. That's all the producers want out of their audience, anyway. The best way to combat garbage of that sort from completely permeating our culture is to refuse to acknowledge it. Once a topic is on the table for discussion, you've already assigned it a certain worth. That's the problem.

And, to a certain extent, I think most of us share that inherent mindset. There are probably hundreds of truly awful films that we are all collectively aware of that won't get mentioned at all during the countdown. Maybe not because we're actively taking some ideological stand against them--but more because they're so bad, forgettable, or bland that we feel it isn't even worth our time.

But you're right, Six. Most of this countdown will spark fun debate over polarizing films. I imagine my own list will end up consisting primarily of movies that I consider to be criminally overrated--rather than films that I've considered to be the "worst" (or most offensive).
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote: And, to a certain extent, I think most of us share that inherent mindset. There are probably hundreds of truly awful films that we are all collectively aware of that won't get mentioned at all during the countdown. Maybe not because we're actively taking some ideological stand against them--but more because they're so bad, forgettable, or bland that we feel it isn't even worth our time.

But you're right, Six. Most of this countdown will spark fun debate over polarizing films. I imagine my own list will end up consisting primarily of movies that I consider to be criminally overrated--rather than films that I've considered to be the "worst" (or most offensive).
Yep, my list isn't going to include much crap like Anacondas or whatnot, it'll mostly be films that receive some sort of praise and I just don't get it. At least it's not like reality TV shows where they're ongoing and that can contribute to some sense of popularity, whether through enjoyment or notoreity.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

For your viewing pleasure, below are my Top 100 films of the last decade. Comment/praises welcome

1 Mulholland Dr
2 The Royal Tenenbaums
3 The 40 Year Old Virgin
4 Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
5 Oldboy
6 Amelie
7 No Country for Old Men
8 American Splendour
9 In the Mood for Love
10 Kill Bill Vol. 1
11 Cidade de Deus
12 Primer
13 Memento
14 The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
15 Sideways
16 Revanche
17 28 Days Later
18 Talk to Her
19 Sex and Lucia
20 Monsters Inc
21 Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
22 24 Hour Party People
23 Syriana
24 Grizzly Man
25 Up
26 Moon
27 Dogtooth
28 In the Loop
29 Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
30 This is England
31 Pan's Labyrinth
32 LOTR: Return of the King
33 Diving Bell and the Butterfly
34 Fog of War
35 The Taste of Others
36 JSA
37 Garage
38 The Mist
39 Anvil
40 Fantastic Mr Fox
41 Zatoichi
42 Requiem for a Dream
43 Waltz With Bashir
44 The Beat that my Heart Skipped
45 Dead Man's shoes
46 The 25th Hour
47 Donnie Darko
48 A Serious Man
49 The Wrestler
50 The Squid and the Whale
51 The Host
52 Vicky Cristina Barcelona
53 Ajami
54 The Lives of Others
55 Eternal Sunshine of the...
56 Saraband
57 Capturing the Friedmans
58 2046
59 Borat
60 Milk
61 United 93
62 The Fountain
63 Adam and Paul
64 All Tomorrow's Parties
65 Fish Tank
66 War of the Worlds
67 Brick
68 Zodiac
69 Sin City
70 INLAND EMPIRE
71 The Dark Knight
72 Touching the Void
73 Persepolis
74 Frozen River
75 Ondskan
76 The Life Aquatic
77 In Bruges
78 There Will Be Blood
79 Downfall
80 A Prophet
81 Wall-E
82 Gozu
83 Hero
84 In the Bedroom
85 Freestyle The Art of Rhyme
86 Happy-Go-Lucky
87 AI
88 The Class
89 Gohatto
90 The Constant Gardener
91 The Man Who Wasn't There
92 Secretary
93 Monsoon Wedding
94 The Pledge
95 Hotel Rwanda
96 Kinsey
97 Faithless
98 Man on Wire
99 Adaptation
100 The Hours

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

A lot of these movies missed my cut (I may do a longer version soon with 220 titles). Fish Tank will definitely appear in my 2010's list.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

It came out here in 2009. I generally go by the date it first goes on public release in any country (except for the best of the year lists on this forum).

How many films from this decade have you seen, Boosch?

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I consider Fish Tank 2010 since that was when it had its American release (January 8th, 2010 to be exact).

As for movies seen in this decade, I started to regularly see movies in theatres (one a week) around 2002. And I would rent a lot. For a conservative estimate, about 200-300 in a given year (and my social life is very limited so it allows me to watch more than one movie a day).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Interesting list, 6. There's more diversity than i expected to see.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

You thought I would only pick goofball comedies?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It's a terrific list Six. Terrific because there are quite a few films I don't even know, and that's quite exciting to think that there are a handful of films I don't even know of that needs to be watched. Garage, Adam and Paul, All tomorrow's parties, Ondskan, Faithless, I don't even know what they are. I need to look them up.
Otherwise, there are still some films I dislike, like Herzog's Grizzly Man, Milk, Waltz with Bachir, AI, Adaptation... and one I plain hate, INLAND EMPIRE.
The rest is good, and sometimes even marvelous. Some films that were not mentioned in our Top 100s but which are great, like Monsoon Wedding, The Man who wasn't there, Capturing the friedmans.
Glad to see some great korean films, The Host, JSA (you really need to see "Memory of Murders", I'm sure it would be included in that list), and some french ones ,the Audiard films notably.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Memories of Murders is high on my list. Very high
Adam and Paul and Garage ae two films by Ireland's best film-maker, Lenny Abrahamson
All Tomorrow's Parties is a wiki-documentary about a music festival. Great doc, great music
Ondskan is a Swedish film about a rebel being bullied in boarding school. Very well made.
Faithless is a Bergman script made by Liv Ulmann. A strong and daunting drama

Surprised you didn't like Waltz with Bashir or Grizzly Man, Chien. What's wrong with you? ;)
I can see why people don't like INLAND EMPIRE, it was perhaps too ambitious and didn't entirely work. It's very hard to get what's going on, and even a Lynch fan like myself isn't entirely sure (I think it's about a Polish woman who is pregnant whose thought jump around various narratives as she tries to make a decision about her future)
Adaptation is a film I love and hate in different places. AI I feel is unfairly misunderstood and I think it's the natural successor to 2001, only as a fairy tale. Maybe that's why you didn't like it ;)