Buscemi's 110 Favorite Films of the 2000's

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Buscemi's 110 Favorite Films of the 2000's

Post by Chienfantome »

Maybe that's why I don't like AI indeed Six ;)
I duly note the titles of those films I hadn't heard of. INLAND EMPIRE, I remember the torture it was to watch it, while I'm a fan of lynch myself (except for this one and Wild at Heart). I could not wait for it to end, but it never seemed to. I felt bored and oppressed by it.
Bashir and Grizzly, I was the first surprised to dislike them. I think I expected too much of them, because I really, really wanted to see them back them.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Agree with Chien on Inland Empire. Even by Lynch's standards, it was a convoluted mess. And I didn't enjoy myself while watching it--so I never cared to examine it more closely to separate the "meaning" from his obligatory red herrings.

I actually think Herzog showed the world what a modern Lynchian film should look like with My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on My Son My Son for a while now, but it doesn't look like it's gonna get a release here in France...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I was very much unengaged by My Son My Son. It kinda reminded me of his Heart of Glass film, which was rambling and felt themeless. I understand the irony of saying this while priasing Inland Empire, but at the very least Inland Empire has amazing scenes and moments. My Son My Son just felt like a bore with a few odd moments thrown in to keep us interested.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Inland Empire. Oh my. I've tried four times now and still not gotten through it. Where as over the years I've begun to realise Lynch's genius (with the likes of Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet in recent years all improving dramatically with further viewings), Inland Empire was just so difficult to watch, I didn't understand it and for the most part I didn't care. That's vastly different to how I used to feel about Mulholland Drive, which on first viewing was very confusing, but also alluring. Inland Empire did't have that.

Otherwise, I really liked many of the movies on your list, six. I probably need to watch Sex and Lucia again, I haven't seen it since it's first release around 10 years ago and while something interested me about it, I can point my finger on what it was now. I also have yourself and NSpan for introducing me to Primer, one of the very best time travel concepts I've seen. There were a good five or six movies I'd never even heard of though so I'll be adding them to my list of films to see.