Fantaverse Top 100 Worst Films Ever Made

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Worst Films Ever Made

Post by W »

silversurfer19 wrote:When did I ever declare that WW was similar to Alvin due to its music? I said it was a watered down piece of garbage which pandered to an audience, much like the recent animations I listed. It didn't aspire to be anything Dahl had intended, it sucked out all the invention and real wonder (not the visual wonder, the sense of wonder in Dahl's words and imagination) instead just reducing it to a horrible, sacharine and sentimental movie which included music. As I said, Wilder is the best part of the movie, but the script is a mess.
That's what I read into what your said before at first, that it was a sing-along that led to Smurfs, Alvin, etc. I see it more of a Wizard of Oz type, mixing brilliant original music with a kid's drama/fantasy that outside of some Disney and PIXAR films rarely exist and almost never exist except in animated form such as The Lion King.

Sure, I've never read the book (actually I think I did, but it was too long ago to remember), but saying it's too sweet when it's got so much negativity in it (bribing, theft, poorness, kids making fun of Charlie, all the "defective" kids, etc.)... Sure, Charlie's mostly good save one moment, always thinks of others, and does what he's told, but that mixed with all the other kids "getting what's coming to them" balances it out and makes it more of a karmic morality tale. I think the sour balances out the sweet very well.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

And, anyway, where would the world be without that nightmare-inducing, LSD-inspired boat ride?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I believe I scolded this troll for posting his "List of films I hate" thread and including only generally accepted horrible films a long time ago. Why would you expect is "100 worst films ever" list to be any different? Which is why I never check this useless thread.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ok, it's been almost a week since the last one. What's say we set a date for our top (or bottom) 25?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Agreed, W. Thankfully, Robdude has gotten tired of his trolling and hopefully either backed away or learned to restrain his nonsense.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I was just going to go on here and ask the same thing.

September 1st gives us a little over a week.......

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think we should push it a little later and have one person in the group be responsible for collecting and collating everything. The TV list was fun but all over the place as we pretty much randomly posted our entries. Shryke's approach to the Songs and Films list was much better and drew in more people!

I'd offer my services but I'm away for 2 weeks in Sept so there's no point. Anyone up for some digital hasseling and formatting?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sigh... okay.... but not right now. Maybe next month.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

Post by MisterInformative »

If I had to guess, here would be a semblance of what Robdude's 5 worst movies of all time are:

5. Xanadu
4. Waterworld
3. Battlefield Earth
2. Terror at Blood Fart Lake
1. Gigli

I did not read the early pages of this thread. Perhaps these films were already mentioned... and maybe my list is a little too dated for him, but either way, boom, thread done. Thanks rob!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

He probably picked movies that came out in the past year.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

Post by MisterInformative »

Yeah, I knew that Waterworld reference would be giving him almost too much credit.

ROBDude
Peter Gibbons

Post by ROBDude »

numbersix wrote:Agreed, W. Thankfully, Robdude has gotten tired of his trolling and hopefully either backed away or learned to restrain his nonsense.
Numbersix, I'm still there! I just took a week off from the site. And you know what NSpan, You're right. I have decided to end the top 100 list and decided to do top 25 next month! Cause I know what you want me to do that's best fits for myself! And undeadmonkey, you are right. My list is not good.
Current Film Watchlist:

Spy X Family: Code White
The Ministry Of Ungentlemanly Warfare
The Fall Guy
Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes
IF
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
The Garfield Movie

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

awwww man.

still.... i have to give you credit, you are very agreeable for a Image

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Ive knuckled down and got about 30 for my list, so I'll join in the countdown when we resume. And yes, submitting out lists to the ever wonderful Shryke is a much better idea, the TV shows one was all over the place.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Guys--if you want this community to die, go ahead and push back on ANY new signs of life. In this case, dismissing "ROBdude" as a troll is one approach. However, keep in mind his age and the fact that he's genuinely trying to talk movies with us: why scare the guy off? He might open up and actually have something to say. Don't argue that we haven't seen kids grow up before our eyes and become real contributors to the forum. Xenophobia will kill a community as small (microscopic?) as this.

Welcome new friends (and old re-visitors)! I nominate Boosh and Geez as the new-member-welcoming-committee. You two can make fun of how old and weird most of us really are (especially Surfer!), while also making the new guys feel welcome.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.