Fantaverse Collective Top 100 List (#100 on Page 4)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Collective Top 100 List (#100 on Page 4)

Post by Buscemi »

Chuck Berry would be one of them.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The Big Lebowski (1998) - Directors: The Coen Brothers; starring Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, David Huddleston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ben Gazzara, Tara Reid, Peter Stormare, John Turturro and Flea.

BarcaRulz' #80
silversurfer's #66
englishozzy's #58
Buscemi's #40
NSpan's #28
Chienfantome's #28
thegreenarrow's #20
JohnErle's #18
Geezer's #7
numbersix's #2
Total: 6630 points

numbersix's comment: The first Coens film I ever watched in the cinema. I didn’t know quite what to make of it, even after discovering the directors through watching and enjoying Fargo. The Big Lebowski seemed outrageous, silly, offbeat… and odd. But there was something about it that was intriguing, and the more I watched it the more I realized that almost every line is a brilliant joke. The Coens created some of their best characters in this film, from cagey Vietnam Vet Walter, simpleton surfer Donnie, avante garde feminist Maude, the nihilists (”We believe in nothing”), Jackie Treehorn (a reference to Ben Gazzara’s character in The Killing of a Chinese Bookie), Da Fino, and of course the potty-mouth pedophile champion bowler Jesus. I was going to attach a hilarious quote with each one, working from memory (it’s that easy when the quotes are that good) but I’ll let y’all watch and rewatch the movie for those gems. And speaking of characters, I of course need to mention The Dude. What a brilliant character, a throwback to the 60’s who bumbles through life in a haze of pot and White Russian intoxication. He is sad, frustrated, but fascinatingly cool. You laugh at him but want to watch him forever. The Coens combine all these wonderful characters and brilliant sequences into a sort of parody of film noir. It’s a detective story told by a guy who’s the worst detective ever, until we realize there’s nothing to detect in the first place! I love the scene where the Dude is suspicious of Jacki Treehorn as he takes a phone call and writes a message. The Dude, in his only clever moment, uses a pencil to trace over the impression left on the pad- a traditional detective ploy. Only what we get is the drawing of a man with a massive penis. Hilarious in itself, it’s also a deconstruction of the detective genre. And it goes deeper. The film is also typical of the Coens’ most recurring theme. The more you try to make sense of life and control it, the more it spirals out of control. Watch all their films and you’ll see this coming through (even in their adaptation of No Country for Old Men). It’s their life philosophy, and in this film once the Dude stops chilling and tries to do something about the missing Miss Lebowski, his life just ends up as a hilarious disaster. If only he sat back and relaxed.

And holy shit, I wish THIS was a joke: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1879064/
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

THe Big Lebowski 2 is just a Funny or Die 3 minutes sketch, don't worry, they did not dare ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Having recently seen The Big Lebowski for the first time, I could understand the cult following it has. It didn't inspire anything in me, but it's a funny movie.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Glad to see my #2 film make the Top 10. Especially as my #1 didn't have a chance!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Toy Story : I can't believe I haven't seen it in 15 years ! I need to rewatch it quickly !!

Die Hard : Obivously a big fan, and I am delighted to see it in our Top 10. John McLane has got to be one of the greatest characters ever in a Hollywood film.

The Big Lebowski : It's easily one of the films I can quote the most easily. As we all said, the more you watch it, the more you love it !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

My number 7 is our number 7! Perfectly placed ladies and gentlemen!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I watched The Big Lebowski about an hour ago. The first time I saw it was on cable so I decided to give it another shot. It was decent, though not great. It had actors I like in supporting roles (Turturro, Goodman, Buscemi, Stormare) and is from a duo that produced a top 10 all-time film for me (O, Brother), but for some reason none of the stuff that should land did.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geez, I know having the #7 film be your #7 was a perfect fit, but I was kind of hoping this film would be #7, especially after 28 Days Later ended up at #28. Still #6 is an excellent finish for an excellent film.

Se7en (1995) - Director: David Fincher; starring Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Spacey, R. Lee Ermey, Richard Rountree and John C. McGinley.

JohnErle's #77
leestu's #65
silversurfer's #47
Shrykespeare's #39
NSpan's #32
Ron Burgundy's #22
Banks' #18
BarcaRulz' #13
englishozzy's #8
undeadmonkey's #2
Total: 6870 points

undeadmonkey's comment: My top two films might seem a bit safe(r), but my top ten picks could switch into any positions and I would be satisfied with it. They are really that close in my appreciation for them. I have had a love-hate relationship with this film a while after first seeing it. I have never been so shocked after the ending of any film. I can usually guess any ending of a twisty movie. Here though I did not only not see it coming, but I was utterly shocked. So I hated it for that, but a part of me loved it for being able to accomplish what it did. Also I figured if it could create such passion in me, it must be great. After a few more viewings, I just came to love it. David Fincher ad his cinematographer Darius Khondji create a visually stunning almost noir dark thriller. There are deep dark places that you can't see into and would probably be afraid to step into, emotionally, mentally and physically. Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt give great performances, and they have great chemistry, I have always wondered why they haven't done another film together. The moral questions asked are intriguing, mainly taken from Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy, and also meant to entertain us, but I would argue to mostly make us think as well. A great, tense, taut thriller, with no fluff or loose ends, that takes us for a wild ride.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Big Lebowski - Great film, would be funny if they ever did a sequel. Not quite sure how it would work out though :?

Se7en - Top film and i think that it landing on #7 on our countdown would have been a little too freaky for me Shryke.
"Then telephone for an axe"

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Great to see Seven right up there and The Big Lebowski will probably make my top 150, ill just have to watch again very soon.

Toy Story is well placed too, deserving a top ten finish

And Die Hard, yeeaaahh! Didnt know John McTiernan was is jail, i was wonderin when he would make another movie

aaaannnd, Shryke, where abouts did Predator finish in the collective top??
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Predator didn't make it, Ron. It just missed. It probably finished in the 120-130 range.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

10. The Shawshank Redemption 6/10
9. Toy Story 8/10
8. Die Hard 8/10
7. The Big Lebowski 10/10
6. Seven 7/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

How about back-to-back Fincher/Pitt films?

Fight Club (1999) - Director: David Fincher; starring Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Helena Bonham Carter, Meat Loaf and Zach Greiner.

leestu's #90
thegreenarrow's #72
silversurfer's #31
englishozzy's #16
Buscemi's #15
Bank's #15
Geezer's #8
BarcaRulz' #8
transformers' #3
Ron Burgundy's #2
Total: 7400 points

Geezer's comment: I'm clearly a fan of ultra cool movies and this certainly qualifies. Tyler Durden is certainly one of the coolest characters ever. Two of my favorite actors giving the performances of their careers, an ultimate ideal that is thought provoking, and some seriously kick ass fight scenes. Fight Club literally has it all, including one of the best twists ever. Holds up remarkably even after knowing the twist end. The dialogue is beyond fantastic. It deserves all the acclaim it gets.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Wow, I really didn't expect Fight Club to appear that high. I haven't seen it in a decade, but I loved it in theater, it surely rocked, with more than just hat it seems to offer. Strong film.
Seven is an amazing thriller too. Fincher is one of the most talented American filmmaker, he's deserving of such love.
Fluctuat nec mergitur