Fantaverse Collective Top 100 List (#100 on Page 4)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Collective Top 100 List (#100 on Page 4)

Post by englishozzy »

By the looks of it, it appeared on pretty much everybody's list. Great film that i really need to watch again soon, i also agree with what Chien said about Fincher. There is not many films i can think of that he has done that i dont like.
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm a bit of a Fincher doubter. He's made good films but some awful ones. Fight Club may not be an amzing film for me, but I like some of the themes it touches on and there's moments of brilliance.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And now, we are getting into the films picked ELEVEN or more times.

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - Director: Irvin Kershner; starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels, David Prowse, Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, Frank Oz, Alec Guinness, Jeremy Bulloch, Julian Glover and Denis Lawson.

JohnL's #96
W's #67
numbersix's #55
undeadmonkey's #50
Geezer's #43
Buscemi's #21
transformers' #16
Chienfantome's #16
Ron Burgundy's #15
NSpan's #8
silversurfer's #1
Total: 7953 points

NSpan's comment: It comes as no surprise to me that the finest Star Wars installment had the LEAST amount of George Lucas' involvement. It is easily the better-made film compared to the original. That said, it is clearly a "middle-piece." It doesn't stand alone. But that's one of the things I love about it. The movie jumps right into the story--no pesky introductions needed. And it ends ambiguously. Despairing, even. Maybe that's darker than what some people prefer, but (personally) I dig it. Although I think that this film is hands-down better-made than the original, that isn't to say that it *quite* captures the whimsical spirit of the first... But I'll talk more about that in my Top 5. (Not-so-subtle wink)! PS. Kasdan also wrote the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark. He is co-writing Alex Proyas' upcoming Paradise Lost adaptation. I don't wanna get my hopes TOO high, but I think that's quite a team they've assembled.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i just saw empire strikes back yesterday, was fun. but i don't think my brother was all too thrilled about it.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

An amazing film. A great risk with a franchise that paid off on every level. Love it.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Might just have to watch these movies just so i can see what everyone thinks is so great about them.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The Matrix (1999) - Director: The Wachowski Brothers; starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, Gloria Foster, Joe Pantoliano, Marcus Chong, Julian Arahanga, Matt Doran and Belinda McClory.

W's #80
Chienfantome's #75
Ron Burgundy's #69
silversurfer's #53
Shrykespeare's #27
BarcaRulz' #27
undeadmonkey's #24
transformers' #11
Geezer's #11
Banks' #3
englishozzy's #2
Total: 8019 points

Banks' comment: Sitting in the theater as a 12-year-old kid, staring in awe as Keanu zooms off in the air at the end of the movie, I had no idea what had just hit me – I just knew it was goddamn awesome. The Matrix mixes a great mythology of following your destiny and coming into your own as a person, threw in some of the best action set pieces known to man, added some very cool machines, and produced what is probably one of the great action films of all-time. Not to mention it introduced bullet-time, something nobody had ever seen before. From the tension-filled escape from the office building to the always iconic lobby shootout, The Matrix never lets up, alternating action with one of the best “What If?” premises: what if everything we knew was a façade? The thought of machines that had taken over the Earth and were using humans as makeshift batteries, while those humans languished in a glorified computer simulation was something that Little Kid Me was not ready for. Even if the Wachowskis spun out of control with the twisted mythology of the two sequels, The Matrix will always remain as perfect as it was the day I saw it in 1999.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

love it

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Two films that appeared in my Top 100 including one, Empire Strikes Back, pretty high on it. Two fantastic films that filled me pure cinematographic pleasure when I saw them in theater.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

didn't expect this to be so high, but i guess i just forgot how many times it appeared

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Me too, though I shouldn't be that surprised considering its popularity. Personally, the few good moments and scenes are overwhelmed by how little I care about any character acted by that walking plank known as Keanu Reeves. Another actor may have improved it, though to be honest it's a tad pretentious. It'll probably be my least favourite pick of our Collective 20.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Told you it would be a serious number 1 competitor
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

You can never go wrong with Se7en or Fight Club. And I can watch The Matrix at any given moment, and still love the shit out of it.

I guess I should buckle down and check out these Star Wars' films I keep hearing about...:)
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Meh. More like The Mehtrix. Was pretty cool at the time, but it's nowhere near a favourite now.

I sure hope The Holy Grail is next, 'cause we all know what #1 will be and it ain't on my list.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shove it up your snobish arse!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude