Fantaverse Collective Top 100 List (#100 on Page 4)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Collective Top 100 List (#100 on Page 4)

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, guys. As of this moment, UDM, NSpan and myself have yet to post our #1 films. However, I know what they all are, which means that our collective Top 100 list is now set in stone.

I know we all know what #1 is going to be, but beyond that's the order itself is kind of a mystery. I will wait until I post my #1 film, and then the next day, I will post two (2) films on the list per day (hopefully, as my time allows) until we reach #1. (This way we can drag it out for two more months!)

As I said, UDM (Friday, 3/11), NSpan (Saturday, 3/12) and myself (Sunday, 3/13) will be posting our #1's in due course. But, in order to whet your appetite for what the collective tastes of the Fantaverse are, what the hive-mind of ReelSociety has determined to be the 100 Greatest Films of All Time, let me first post the:

Top Ten Films That Didn't Quite Make It:

(In case of a tie in points, the tie will be broken by which film was listed the highest on someone's list.)

#110: Gone Baby Gone (2007) - Director: Ben Affleck; starring Casey Affleck, Morgan Freeman, Ed Harris and Michelle Monaghan.

Banks' #67
Buscemi's #57
transformers's #51
Geezer's #47
Total: 728 points

Geezer's comment: Glad to see so much love for one of the best films in recent history. Affleck has shown more promise as a director in two films than most will show in their entire careers. I love the look and feel of the film, along with Casey Affleck's acting that just shines. Loved the twist ending, never saw it coming and it made the film stick with me above and beyond most other films. I will be seeing just about any movie Affleck directs after this and The Town, which was also excellent.

#109: No Country For Old Men (2007) - Directors: The Coen Brothers; starring Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem and Woody Harrelson.

englishozzy's #67
numbersix's #63
transformers' #47
Geezer's #45
Total: 728 points

transformers' comment: The Coen Brothers have made plenty of great films, but I think No Country For Old Men is their best. The whole film has this really haunting tone and that's just part of what makes it special. The acting is out of this world, Javier Bardem makes one of the most menacing villains in film history. Every time he is on the screen it's pure magic. Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones are also quite good. No Country for Old Men is the crowning achievement in a career that is mostly filled with gems from the Coen Brothers.

Two more tomorrow. Feel free to comment, of course.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Fantaverse Collective Top 100 List

Post by Buscemi »

Miramax had a good 2007. Too bad they couldn't keep it up.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Easily two of the very best films from 2007, my second and third favorite from the year, to be precise. Pity they didn't crack the collective top 100, but nice to see them here nonetheless.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I liked both of these films, but No Country was a bit of a letdown for me and Gone Baby Gone was a bit of a surprise... I mean, Ben Affleck directing? Both rated a 7/10 for me.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I rank both films a 6/10. No Country was very stark, something that often turns me off despite how well-acted and well-written it is. Gone Baby Gone was a gripping story, but I really couldn't find any connection with the characters.

Sorry to say, Geez, your #1 film of 2007 (Hot Rod) will NOT be making the Top 100.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I really , really liked Gone Baby Gone, it was the last thing you would expect from Ben Affleck as a director. Which is Great.

I can take or leave No Country, I watched it and put it out of my mind forever. I doubt I'll ever revisit it, and while it was good, it was far from deserving Best Picture.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i beg to differ those two are the best 2007 had to offer, Assassination of Jesse James was.... is a masterpiece from that year. I hate No Country, seriously one of the few films i hate, and Gone Baby Gone is quite decent though

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

My top rated 5 from 2007:
10's
1. The Man From Earth, which I believe was straight to DVD
2. The Visitor

9's
3. Juno
4. Sunshine
5. Into the Wild
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Two problems with claiming The Assassination of Jesse James was the best of 2007:

1. It's too long. The film could have used 20 minutes of trimming in the early stages.

2. Casey Affleck's performance was not as good as claimed. In fact, it's Brad Pitt that gives the film's best performance (even winning an award at Venice for it).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

No Country is one of the bravest, most brilliant films to win an Oscar. Especialy considering the winners of the last 20 years. Completely deserved and an important film about violence in life.

I didn't like Gone Baby Gone at all. A ridiculous plot and a gritty directing style clash too much and it becomes a farce.

Boosch, having watched Assassination of JJ several times I can say that there is no 20 mins that could or should be cut. If you want to try and identify the exact scenes that should, go ahead and try ;). And Affleck was excellent in it, far better than in Gone Baby Gone. He was snivelling, desperate for attention, and perfectly obsessive. Pitt was also great, but Affleck displayed more of a range.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Trimming could have been done in the first hour. There are some periods where nothing seems to happen and one gets the feeling that they should just get on with it. However, my boredness of some of it may have more to do with a blood vessel bursting in my eye the day I went to see it.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ow that sounds nasty, man. But there's nothing in the 1st hour I would deem superfluous. Nothing.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I forgot Hot Rod was 2007, Shryke! I guess these are 3 and 4, which means it was a pretty great year! Transformers was my number one of the year.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi wrote:Two problems with claiming The Assassination of Jesse James was the best of 2007:

1. It's too long. The film could have used 20 minutes of trimming in the early stages.

2. Casey Affleck's performance was not as good as claimed. In fact, it's Brad Pitt that gives the film's best performance (even winning an award at Venice for it).

you ever thought that maybe you're just the problem

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Geezer wrote:I forgot Hot Rod was 2007, Shryke! I guess these are 3 and 4, which means it was a pretty great year! Transformers was my number one of the year.
Well... Tranformers didn't make it either. Sorry.