Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Post by undeadmonkey »

and here i was thinking the ending of Return of the King was too short. ;)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #7

Shrykespeare

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
– Directors: Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders; starring Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, America Ferrera, Craig Ferguson, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, T.J. Miller and Kristen Wiig. Yeah, I know, this movie is less than a year old. But the truth is, it had such an impact on me that I had to put it this high, because when I rented it recently, I watched it four more times, and it just grew and grew in my eyes. I would never have thought that anything could top my all-time favorite animated movie (which is coming up tomorrow), and HtTYD isn’t quite there, but time may eventually see it overtake the film that is coming up. First off, the animation is spectacular, particularly in 3D, which is what I originally saw the film in. And then, there were the characters, most notably Hiccup and Toothless. Hiccup, the diminutive, puny Viking, brilliantly voiced by Jay Baruchel, striving to prove his worth in a society that lauds brute strength but can only do so using his intellect, which gets him into hot water more often than not. When he downs a mysterious Black Fury in the dead of night, he tracks the creature down but cannot administer the killing blow. He realizes he truly is different (a moment not unlike that awesome scene in Ratatouille when Remy is prepared to face death at the hands of the kitchen staff before Linguine intervenes), and thus is born a friendship between boy and beast not seen on-screen since The Black Stallion. As their co-dependence grows, Hiccup starts to understand just why the dragons attack their village regularly, and that they are far from the mindless animals everyone believes them to be. Butler is perfectly cast as Hiccup’s father, the barrel-chested, long-bearded Viking chief, who shows an unexpected vulnerability when dealing with his misfit son. The rest of the cast are also hysterical, from Ferguson to Ferrera to the rest of the gang of teenage warrior trainees. This was easily my #1 film of last year, and though I know it won’t possibly beat Toy Story 3 (my #2 film of last year – BTW, did you know that Dragon and Toy Story 3 were also the best reviewed films of last year?) for Best Animated Picture, I still hold out hope. And it was such a welcome outing from DreamWorks, who FINALLY realized what they need to do to measure up to Pixar’s standard. I can only hope that they keep it up. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKiYuIsPxYk

silversurfer

Rope (1948)
- Director: Alfred Hitchcock; starring James Stewart, John Dall and Farley Granger. While Hitchcock is most well know for his classic chillers such as Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo and Rear Window, by far his most intelligent, riveting, suspenseful and shot movie is my absolute favourite of his, Rope. The concept of the movie focuses on a couple of young men who for a thrill strangle a school friend, then host a dinner party (among whom the victims parents were invited) serving the food and wine on a large chest containing the body. However, while the plot is simple enough, it is the characters who contain all manner of complexities, and issues of philosophy, sociology and psychology are all played with by Hitchcock to dramatic effect. He poses the question, are some people more deserving to play God? Is murder a privilege for superior humans? Beyond the fascinating scenes playing out, in which the couple battle each other over the rights and wrongs over what they have done, and how they almost boast about the idea of killing someone for pleasure to Stewart's fantastic teacher, who's careless armchair philosophy had fed the imagination of two unstable minds, Hitchcock uses numerous devices to heighten the tension. Firstly, while he wanted to film the movie all in one take it simply wasn't possible in that time, but how he managed to edit together a series of 8 minute long takes is astonishing. All the drama takes place in one room and Hitch zooms in and out, sweeps across the room and uses all manner of angles to keep you on the edge of your seat. One of my favourite scenes is when Stewart idly sets the metronome in motion as Granger plays the piano, making him play faster and faster while he questions him. Granger begins to sweat, getting more and more anxious, building to a climax. It's stunning to watch. Furthermore though, I love how the script uses black humour to play with the notion of murder, with lines so nonchalantly spoken such as "These hands can bring you great fame", or "I could strangle you". It's hilarious, as are many of the visuals which also play on the idea. While some of Hitch's movies have gone on to be well known classics, and undoubtedly they are, this little movie is unquestionably his finest hour, a gripping suspense, executed with precise perfection, and hopefully with time more and more people will acknowledge it like I did. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJo5ih2HkxE

thegreenarrow

Barton Fink (1991)
- Directors: Joel and Ethan Coen; starring John Turturro, John Goodman and Judy Davis. I love this satire of a 1940s playwright struggling with writer's block, with the Coens injecting all their trademark black humour into a fascinating noir. Goodman and Turturro are fantastic in their roles as the two men living next door in a claustrophobic, damp, wallpaper peeling, sweaty apartment block, and how the Coens play with lighting and atmosphere to create a truly unsettling and at times terrifying movie is brilliant to watch. You feel Barton's isolation, his desperation, you see his madness being fully realized and you feel it. It's a movie for the senses, and a movie which probes at you and questions the nature of the creative spirit, before unreeling that fascinatingly surreal finale, which has you glued to the edge of your seat. The Coens love their dark, black comedies, and this is my favourite. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0WjWlVO9w

transformers

American History X (1998)
- Director: Tony Kaye; starring Edward Norton, Edward Furlong, Fairuza Baulk and Beverly D'Angelo. American History X is one of the most powerful films I have ever seen. The message is so powerful and it sticks with you long after viewing. Edward Norton anchors the film as Derek Vinyard. Norton has never been better and he was robbed of an Oscar. Edward Furlong is just as good as his brother that he is trying to save from following him in his Neo-Nazi footsteps. Derek's story is one of redemption that ends in tragedy. This movie is thought provoking, powerful and downright haunting. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXaZENPQrsw

englishozzy

Donnie Darko (2001)
- Director: Richard Kelly; starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Patrick Swayze and Holmes Osborne. A dark and playful film about teen angst and paranoia, of course that is just they way I choose to interpret this film as Kelly and Gyllenhaal make strong debuts to the movie scene. The struggles of an intelligent boy in a society where parents want to make everything as black and white as possible, not to mention moments of schizophrenia, psychotic and time-travelling. Kelly has created a film that David Lynch would be proud of. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wqVHjK2bQs

Ron Burgundy

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)
- Director: Adam McKay; starring Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, David Koechner, Fred Willard, Chris Parnell, Vince Vaughn, Tim Robbins and Luke Wilson. Well, sorry to those of you who had placed bets that this would be my #1 movie, it has slid down my top very slowly since joining Fantasy Moguls way back. But I still love this movie, it is hands down the most quotable comedy I have seen, and it also has the most laughs (for me and my mates that is). All of the characters are pretty much awesome too, from Brian Fantana to Wes Mantooth to Brick Tamland to Spanish Team News lead anchor (played by Ben Stiller) and of course the great lead, Ron Burgundy. Very very very funny. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6GolC7Mk0

Buscemi

Pulp Fiction (1994)
- Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis and Harvey Keitel. Not surprisingly, this is still Tarantino's best film. The non-linear storytelling, the three stories, Tarantino's ability with dialogue and a fast pace and excellent acting make the film a worthwhile experience. John Travolta gives the performance of his career as Vincent Vega, whose return from the Netherlands sets up the adventures shown on screen. Samuel L. Jackson's star-making turn as his right-hand man Jules show proof on why he is considered such a bad motherfucker. And the rest of the cast also give excellent performances that contribute well to the action on-screen. Despite its long run time, the film moves very quickly (it seriously feels like 90 minutes rather than the 154 minutes listed on the box) and it is a great cinematic experience. It should have beaten Forrest Gump for Best Picture at the Oscars (and Travolta deserved to win Best Actor rather than Tom Hanks). (10th appearance, and the 6th appearance in the last 11 days)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDbSbOsoRnY

Chienfantome

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
– Director: Sergio Leone, starring Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale and Jason Robards. Six months ago, Once Upon a Time in America was still my favourite Leone film (it’s #18 in my Top). Six months ago, I went to rediscover Once Upon a Time in the West in theater, in a beautiful new copy. I had only seen it on TV up until now, and never really found what was amazing about it. Six months ago, it changed. I took a punch in the head that left me knocked out and I loved every single bit of it. When you watch Leone’s film, you feel like the screen is becoming a part of you. I was a few inches away from falling into the screen. I got hypnotized by a direction that feels like perfection with a unique style. Watching Once upon a time in the West is rediscovering a genre. It is witnessing how every single detail of a shot is crucial. How every single shot of a film can have a lasting impact. How silences can be more eloquent than words. How music can replace words. How casting is part of directing. How incredibly beautiful Claudia Cardinale was. How undeniably charismatic Charles Bronson was. How a film can be at the same time a work of art and an intense story told. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNGQ1hUyx-k

numbersix

Persona (1966)
- Director: Ingmar Bergman; starring Liv Ullmann, Bibi Andersson and Gunnar Bjornstrand. Anyone who loves Black Swan for its ambiguous distinction between Nina’s fantasies and reality should seriously give this film consideration. But first some context. Ingmar Bergman ended the 1950’s by blowing away critics and European audiences, as well as picking up a few awards. But for me his theatrical heritage still held him back, and often a lot of his films just didn’t feel cinematic enough. Sure, when the drama was that good it shouldn’t matter, but it was in the 1960s (possibly when Bergman started watching Tarkovsky and Godard flicks) when Bergman started exploring the purely visual side of life. And this is the pinnacle of that match between haunting visuals and gripping drama. The film starts with a burst of imagines, often disturbing, threatening. A boy walks up to a projected image of a woman’s face and tries to touch it. This sequence is never explained, and we must make our own link with the main story. A celebrated theatre actress suddenly becomes mute, and is taken to a country cottage to recover by a nurse. Their relationship grows antagonistic, and eventually they become each other, or the same person. We’re never sure. The film not only bases its theme on the issue of identity but also asks us to question the act of storytelling itself, as the image deliberately breaks up, and even reveals the film crew. It’s a hell of a risk, as it could easily come across as pretentious, but for me it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkdIjjcbKQk

Banks

Jurassic Park (1993)
- Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Sam Neill, Richard Attenborough, Jeff Goldblum and Laura Dern. And speaking of nostalgic, I think Jurassic Park is one of the most influential movies of the 1990s, mostly because I was very young when I saw it, and what little kid doesn’t love a great dinosaur romp. Easily the best adventure film ever, it drops a group of scientists and a pair of kids right in the middle of a man-made dinosaur-filled theme park. It’s mind-blowing and wondrous, balancing out great action set pieces, such as when the T-Rex attacks the car, and great humor, like searching through a huge pile of Triceratops shit. It’s filled with icon imagery, like the rippling cups of water or the Velociraptor opening the kitchen door, and dialogue that sticks around in your mind for years (“Welcome….to Jurassic Park!”). And the image of the T-Rex roaring while the Jurassic Park banner falls around him is chilling. What’s stopping these damn smarty-pants scientists to making Jurassic Park a reality?!? (8th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bim7RtKXv90

BarcaRulz

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
– Director: Frank Darabont; starring Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, William Sadler and Gil Bellows. A brilliantly acted tale of hope and desperation in the face of adversity. Showing us how one man fights off a miscarriage of justice, and works hard to do what he thinks is the right thing in a disheartening situation, all the while dodging the going-ons of a ruthless prison environment and a very dirty warden. At the end of the day, it might be a little over-the-top, but the payoff is worth it and the film itself is brilliant. (9th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0RZNIFZxoY

Geezer

The Big Lebowski (1998)
- Director: The Coen Brothers; starring Jeff Bridges, John Goodman and Steve Buscemi. This is a movie I watch a few times a year because it gets better every single time I put it on. Its pure brilliance of comedy. The characters that the Coens so carefully constructed for this masterpiece carry the film to heights no other screwball comedy could hope to achieve. The Dude, Walter, Donny, Maude Lebowski, The fucking Jesus! God damn this movie is great. Awesome soundtrack, awesome one-liners that come rapid fire, one right after the other. I can't say enough great things about it. It’s been racing up the list from the very first time I saw it. (9th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHuyjYJCCOA

leestu

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
– Director Peter Jackson; starring Viggo Mortensen, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, Orlando Bloom, Sean Astin, Andy Serkis and many others that should be mentioned. When you watch some of the special features about the making of this movie it is mind-blowing how much detail they went to and how much work was involved. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pki6jbSbXIY

W

The Hangover (2009)
- Director: Todd Phillips, Starring: Zach Galifianakis, Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Justin Bartha and Mike Tyson. For my money, the single most hilarious pure comedy film of all time. Zach is perfect as Alan from the tuxedo fitting ("Watch it pervert!") to the wedding ("You know, I was thinking of getting my bartender license.") In any other film, Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms would have stolen the show with their turns as Phil and Stu, but it was Alan, his satchel, and shades that stole the show. It was also one of the best times I've ever had at a theater. It's just so fun to have a couple hundred people laughing hysterically with you for an hour and a half. (3rd appearance)

Stu's Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpOdCWaTsIk

NSpan

Annie Hall (1977)
– Director: Woody Allen; starring Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts and Shelley Duvall. Woody Allen managed to make the most romantic film ever made--and the main characters don't even get together in the end! Quite a feat, if you ask me. Even if you aren't approaching it as a "romantic comedy," there's still plenty for everyone. Like what I said about Pulp Fiction, editing MADE (quite literally in this case) the movie. If you're interested, read up on what kind of film Woody set out to make. That all changed mid-way through production - and even more so in the editing room. I wonder how many great works of art were originally conceived as something completely different from what they would ultimately become? (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzHphcc2Jw

undeadmonkey

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)
– Director: Kerry Conran; starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Angelina Jolie and Michael Gambon. Here is my last ‘guilty’ pleasure. Though, I mean it as, I know it has flaws, with some off pacing and the script could have used some rewrites, but not as I feel guilty for loving it. It’s a bit ridiculous and silly but it’s also ridiculously fun. That’s what makes it work for me, all the actors and the director are playing it serious, but they know it is silly. They aren’t pretending to create the next sci-fi drama classic. They are paying homage to the old 1930s and ‘40s sci-fi serials and they do it fantastically. I’ve seen a few movies twice in theaters, Batman Begins, Dead Man’s Chest…. Cant think of anymore, But Sky Captain is the only film I’ve seen three times in theaters. I saw it the second weekend in release with about 10 other people, was worried, thinking, ‘uhoh, it’s empty what have I got myself into’. But I forgot about that and was mesmerized with the beautiful period sci-fi piece, laughed at all the funny situations, and was astonished at the CG, (the first film that was wholly filmed on a blue screen, a whole 2 years before 300.) There are tons of references to the pulp classic, from King Kong to comic books. There’s even a direct quote from Orson Welles’ radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds. Sir Laurence Olivier shows up as posthumously as well. I saw it again the week after with my brother, and then I just had to go see it again, before it left theaters. That last time I had the whole theater to myself, nobody else was in there, the projectionist must of thought, ‘what a loser’. I didn’t care though, I was entranced just like the first time I saw it. I felt like a kid in the candy store. I know films like this could never go mainstream, but it’s a shame really, I would love to see more like it. It has so inspired me, I would count it as a personal regret if I don’t make a film such as this, when I make it in the industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pChGZtAwY4

JohnErle

The Breakfast Club (1985)
– Director: John Hughes; starring Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy and Anthony Michael Hall. It's no exaggeration to say that the The Breakfast Club defined my generation and also influenced it as kids tried to emulate their favourite characters from the film. The truth is I was a mixture of Anthony Michael Hall and Ally Sheedy's characters, but I dressed like Bender and wanted people to see me that way. Maybe the most remarkable thing about this film is that I could relate to all of the characters and still can today. Even the adults. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXzlCpHK3-I

#100 is now Batman Begins.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #8

Shrykespeare: Star Trek (2009) – A very enjoyable movie, lots of fun even if the actual plot was a little less so. Bana just didn't really seem to be a great villain and the ending was a little bit of an anti-climax. But nevertheless, it did indeed change the style of Star Trek and brought it into the new millenium with a bang, and Abrams made the movie one which everyone, not just Trekkies, would want to watch, so he should be applauded for that. (7.5/10)

thegreenarrow: My Neighbour Totoro (1988) - Helena introduced this movie to me and on first viewing I didn't really get into it, it felt a little too child orientated for my liking, despite some great animation. We watched it again a couple of years ago though and I really enjoyed it, a charming tale of friendship. (7/10)

transformers: The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) - It is indeed a very enjoyable comedy, and one of the best in recent years, with a great script and Carrell is fantastic. Best comedy ever made? I don't think it's even close, watch some of the comedies pre-1970 from the likes of Wilder and then you will see a true genius comedy can be, but nevertheless this is good. (7.5/10)

englishozzy: Se7en (1995) - A terrific thriller with awesome performances, and one which stays on your mind for a long time. Not to punch holes in it though, the movie may not have relied too much on gore like modern horror movies, but it did indeed use shock value with the death scenes much like horrors use gore. The gluttony image is shocking, as it the lust one too, I never forget those images. Brilliant nevertheless, it was on my list too. (10/10)

Ron Burgundy: Memento (2000) - You do know Nolan is overseeing the new Superman movie, don't you? So he is already getting into that field. Anyway, a great movie, and another one which made my list. (10/10)

Buscemi: Taxi Driver (1976) - Watched it again the other day and was totally engrossed by the film, chilling movie. (8/10)

Chienfantome: Dr. Strangelove (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) (1964) – A very funny satire, though not one of my favourite Kubrick movies. (8/10)

numbersix: The Battle Of Algiers (1966) - A movie I've heard a lot about over the years, but it's so expensive I've never gotten round to picking it up. I think I saw it at our local library a few weeks ago though, so I'll check it out if I can. (N/A)

Banks: Boogie Nights (1997) - PTA is certainly an interesting director, and for once Marky Mark actually pulled out a decent performance, but I think I much prefer both Magnolia and definitely There Will Be Blood over this. (7/10)

BarcaRulz and Geezer: Fight Club (1999) - Well, this round is certainly Fincher round! A great movie, one I always enjoy watching both on a stylistic level and on its narrative consciousness. It made my list too. (10/10)

leestu: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) – I much prefer the first one, but I like this better than Return Of The King. The Treebeard scenes were too drawn out, as was the Rohan scenes, it only really gets going with the Frodo/Gollum section and the battle at the end. (7.5/10)

W: Independence Day (1996) - I see Emmerich movies and Bay movies as the same thing. Big, dumb action movies full of plot holes and ridiculous concepts. Style over substance at every turn. Thank god Smith was in this to at least make it watchable. (4/10)

NSpan: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) – Absolutely superb movie in every way. Completely and utterly faultless. I too like that team for Paradise Lost, although I've been a little disappointed by Proyas of late. (10/10)

undeadmonkey: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) – A thoroughly enjoyable movie which I too didn't have too many expectations for when I first saw it, but left very satisfied. Entertaining to the last, though I can't say I ever really enjoyed Knightley's performance as she and Bloom seemed to do their best to make the movie worse at every turn. (9/10)

JohnErle: The Shining (1980) – A very effective horror movie and proved Kubrick could succeed in the genre. My favourite of his movies and on my list too. (10/10)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #7

Shrykespeare: How to Train Your Dragon (2010) – Wow, you do love your animations. I wonder what you'd make of The Illusionist, the French animation from last year. Vastly different to the Pixar/Dreamworks methods, but brilliant in its own right. Haven't seen this, and I'll try to check it out. Hell, even Armond White liked this!

silversurfer: Rope (1948) - Well said, my Kiwi-located friend. An excellent film that manages to be tense without any trickery, it just relies on script and performance. An excellent way of dealing with the origins of Nazi-ism without ever referring to it.

thegreenarrow: Barton Fink (1991) - Never thought I'd see the Coens' most arthouse film getting so much appreciation, but glad it is. A darkly satirical film about the difference between the "art" world and reality.

transformers: American History X (1998) - As much as I appreciate and anti-racism message I just didn't believe it. Life is sadly more complicated than this.

englishozzy: Donnie Darko (2001) - I remember a lot of people mentioning Lynch when they first saw this, including myself. At a public interview with Lynch someone asked which directors he liked, and mentioned this hoping he'd comment, but all he could say is that he liked PT Anderson. Anyway, I think the atmosphere of this film is brilliant, dark and abstract yet full of teen angst. I do think Drew Barrymore ruins it a little, but not as much as Kelly's subsequent career ;)

Ron Burgundy: Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) - Funny stuff.

Buscemi: Pulp Fiction (1994) - Man, you do love Tarantino, don't you. I'm pretty sure you have every one of his films in your Top 100, right? Nothing wrong with that, he was one of the most influential film-makers of the 90's and for me this is his peak. The dialogue just sucks you into QT's self-conscious hip, referential world. Love it.

Chienfantome: Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) – An absolutely stunning and unforgettable western. I may not be a huge fan of the genre, but for me it doesn't get much better than this. The characters have depth (all of them, even the stereotypical money-man who owns the trains), the direction is astounding, the music iconic. Sublime choice, my French friend.

Banks: Jurassic Park (1993) - As entertainment goes, this is one of the best examples. Exciting, thrilling, a dash of wit and plenty of emotional depth (without coming across as sentimental or laboured).

BarcaRulz: The Shawshank Redemption (1994) – A good film, just not one that blows me away with brilliance.

Geezer: The Big Lebowski (1998) - Kudos to you, sir. You may like your stoopid comedies and quaffable blockbusters, but anyone who places a film as brilliant and hilarious as this deserves praise.

leestu: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) – My favourite of the three films, the transition from fun,isolated life to darker territory is brilliantly conveyed, and some of the sequences are excellent. Jackson did good with these films and in a way I wish he wasn't making The Hobbit (I'd like to see Blomkamp take it on), as I'm curious to see what else he can do (though I hated King Kong). Then again, at least we all know The Hobbit is in safe hands.

W: The Hangover (2009) - Okay for me. Some jokes worked, some didn't. Very over-rated.

NSpan: Annie Hall (1977) – Hah, just read Wikipedia's entry on the film's production. Glad it wasn't titled Me and My Goy! Also glad it didn't have the murder-mystery element as Manhattan Murder Mystery is one of my least favourite Woody Allen films. I'm sure plenty of films changed mid-way into something great (especially the "European" directors like Bergman and Fellini, and especially Herzog who never plans or rehearses, he lets the location determine the action). I have respect for instinctive directors like that and didn't realise Woody Allen had that in him. I love this film, I think it's a rare combination of hilarious, sad, and honest. Deeply moving and very unique.

undeadmonkey: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) – Haven't seen it fully. Turned it off half-way through. It just seemed like an exercise in style. The script was terrible as were the characters. If it's supposed to be silly it didn't go far enough to feel like it was on purpose. If you want an homage to 30's and 40's seriels that work, go watch the Indiana Jones films.

JohnErle: The Breakfast Club (1985) – Fun, but for me it feels a bit dated.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote: I agree, and she was convincing in a way I haven't seen any actress pull off since Duvall. The first thing you thought of to compare her to was the children of the Narnia films, which is a testament to the fragility and helplessness I'm talking about. And I haven't seen the Killer Inside Me, but since it was labelled a misogynistic film it's obvious people aren't accustomed to seeing that kind of character any more. As for Slumdog and The Town, no, not even close. Those characters would have chewed Wendy up and spit her out.
I don't know, man, all of my examples include woman who are passive and dependent on a strong, male figure. Put the love interest from Slumdog (who is abused by her "man" and desperately waits to be rescued instead of doing anything herself) or Rebecca Hall from The Town (who obviously forgives and rescues a guy who shoots his way through cops in order to "go straight" int he same situation and you'd get something similar. Duvall just looks weedier!. The argument that the kids in Narnia are just kids doesn't cut it for me. Personality doesn't begin at a certian age and the girls are written as passive and reliant on the boys.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - As the only other person to have this on my countdown -- albeit at #99 -- i agree that DreamWorks has far outdone themselves with this effort, i probably dont hold it in as high regard as you but i still apprectiate the film enough to warrant it alongside some of Pixar's movies. 8/10

Ron - Whilst i did enjoy this film more than any other Will Ferrell movie i am just not a huge fan of Ferell's humour, it seems to stay the same which obviously would be good if you enjoy his blend of comedy. 7/10

Banks - The only real good dinosaur flick i have seen on the big screen, loved it. #36 on my own list. 8/10

Barca - Brilliant film and there is not much more that i can say that i havent said already. 10/10

Geezer - My favourite Coen's film until i saw True Grit last week, whether that stays the same after repeated viewings is anyone's guess. #58 on my list. 8/10

Leestu - Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last time we see this film over the next week, very good. 8/10

W - Although i admit that i found this film hilarious when i watched it in the cinemas but repeated viewings since then has taken some gloss off the jokes. 7/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #7

Shrykespeare - How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
i didn't get to see this until dvd, so i missed out on the 3D everyone was raving about. So when watching the movie i did feel like i missed out on something, as some of the flying scenes and etc, seemed to go on too long. I knew they were there to show off the 3D but as i saw it in 2D it just didn't seem to bring the story forward. Overall though, i did like it. Just not anywhere close to any of my favorite animation. That's not to say it couldn't change though.

englishozzy - Donnie Darko (2001)
I liked it when i first saw it, but as time goes i remember less and less of it. and i really have no will to see it again. and as everyone has been mentioning Richard Kelly's later films, I thought they were awful, some of the worst i have ever seen.

Banks - Jurassic Park (1993)
haha, i know i wouldn't visit jurassic park if it was real. I mean i would want to, but i would be too scared to do it. Blame the movie, it was scary enough knowing that it wasn't real, but if it could be real, think of how much more scary the movie would be.

BarcaRulz - The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
i like the movie. I listed it myself in the 40s or 50s. can't exactly remember, i just wouldn't put it up there with my absolute favorites.

Geezer - The Big Lebowski (1998)
seen the first half or so, i suppose i'll finish it now

leestu - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
great choice, leestu

W - The Hangover (2009)
I liked the movie after seeing it in theaters, it really helps watching a comedy with a crowd. as laughs play off of each other. I don't know if anybody knows this, but comedies are always screened with a full theater, to be able to judge reaction better. As the few times i have seen it on dvd or with a few friends, the jokes get less funny and i really have no want to see it ever again. I feel like i've gotten everything out of it i could have.

NSpan - Annie Hall (1977)
did not enjoy

Haven't Seen

silversurfer - Rope (1948)

thegreenarrow - Barton Fink (1991)

transformers - American History X (1998)

Ron Burgundy - Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) - should've known

Buscemi - Pulp Fiction (1994)

Chienfantome - Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) – I'm really surprised at all the westerns on your list,

numbersix - Persona (1966) - Haven't even heard of this before, maybe if read the descriptions it would ring a bell .but as i promised to watch all the top ten, i haven't been reading the descriptions, because i don't want to be spoiled.

JohnErle - The Breakfast Club (1985)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare: How to Train Your Dragon (2010) –Haven't seen it.

silversurfer: Rope (1948) -Haven't seen it.

thegreenarrow: Barton Fink (1991)-One of the handful of Cohen movies I haven't seen.

englishozzy: Donnie Darko (2001) -Great pick, also on my list. I loved this movie with a passion. It's a mind bending, thought provoking film. It's a damn shame RIchard Kelly hasn't made anything good since.

Ron Burgundy: Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) -Made my list as well. Will Ferell's best movie, it cracks me up every time. (9.5/10)

Buscemi: Pulp Fiction (1994) -Six if you think Buscemi likes QT wait for my upcoming picks. Let's just say this is coming up on my list (10/10)

Chienfantome: Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) –Haven't seen it.

six:Persona(1966)-Haven't seen it.

Banks: Jurassic Park (1993) -Narrowly missed my list. Thrilling, entertaining and a flat-out bad ass movie. Nice pick (8.5/10)

BarcaRulz: The Shawshank Redemption (1994) –Haven't seen it, it's near the top of my "movies i'm ashamed I haven't seen list".

Geezer: The Big Lebowski (1998) -I do enjoy quite a bit. The Dude is a great character. I haven't seen in it ages, really need to rewatch it (8/10)

leestu: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) –A good start to the franchise, my 2nd favorite of the Lord Of The Rings movies (8.5/10

W: The Hangover (2009) -Great pick made my list as well. The scenarios in this films are a riot and the main characters are all extremely funny. Very excited for the sequel in May.(9.5/10)

NSpan: Annie Hall (1977) – Haven't seen it, I'm not a big Woody Allen fan.

undeadmonkey: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) - I hated this movie. So cheesy and stupid and not in a good way (2/10)

JohnErle: The Breakfast Club (1985) –Haven't seen it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #7

BarcaRulz - The Shawshank Redemption - My #12. What a great movie. (10/10)

JohnErle - The Breakfast Club - My #13. Best teen movie EVER. (10/10)

leestu - LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring - My #37. Great start to the trilogy. (10/10)

Banks - Jurassic Park - My (and surfer's) #101. Wow, that means that JP would have 10 appearances if surf and I had put it one spot higher. (9/10)

Buscemi - Pulp Fiction - My God, that's a lot of appearances in ten days. (8/10)

W - Hangover - I'm not the fan of raunchy comedies that I used to be, but this was hysterical. (8/10)

UDM - Sky Captain and the WOT - To be honest, I had to go to IMDb to see what rating I gave it. I gave it a 7/10, but the truth is, I remember nothing about the movie itself except it's stylized, Sin City-ish comic-booky affect. If I were to see it again, my rating would probably drop severely, so count yourself lucky.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

EVERYONE PLEASE READ

I know that some of you couldn't care less about the Oscars, but we originally started this countdown so that it would end on or about the time of the Academy Awards (2/27). However, it looks like we will have a few days in between our #2 and the Oscars, so I am going to create a schedule for when we will be posting our #1 choices. It will be the same as the music countdown, one person per day.

So here is the schedule. I want everyone to post, e-mail or PM me which date you would like to have your #1 movie posted, as well as whether you would like to make that post yourself or whether you would prefer to have me do it. We will, of course, be taking the ACTUAL Oscar night off, but other than that, we're good.

It's first come, first served, and I of course will be taking the final spot. If you pick a date and opt to post it yourself, make SURE that it's a date that you will be available on!

Starting the 14th of March, I will begin to reveal the Fantaverse's collective Top 100.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'll take March 3rd.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'll take March 1.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

March 6th suits me

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'll take the 24th Feb.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Earliest spot available, please.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.