Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:That being said, I will be watching Oldboy some time this year based on all the positive reviews here.
I won't rest till we've finally managed to force Geezer to watch Oldboy. Even if I need to fly to Boston and strap him to a chair and force his eyes open A Clockwork Orange style!!
Might have to ;)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19 wrote: And Ron, I have heard of TISM before, but nothing by them, I'll check them out.
They are not bad, quite witty and worth checking out. Start with this "All Homeboys are Dickheads" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brp76so-YhU
"The End of Rock and Roll" (aka "The Last Australian Guitar Hero") is also a favourite but I don't think there is a video anywhere. Although the lyrics are easily found on the net and they are worth reading on their own. Its just an album track but their albums are full of gems like this.
And for a good example of typical Aussie humour "Whatareya?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4vSEXvL ... 3BED9EFF0D
Ron Burgundy wrote:(leestu lives in my city but i haven't met him yet)
So does Ozzy! We should do something about that. I've often thought about suggesting we catch up but I'm not an organiser, I tend to go with the flow instead, and it would take some organisation, I have too busy a life.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Haven't heard from Geezer yet. Will add his in later.

MOVIE #5

Shrykespeare

V For Vendetta (2005)
– Director: James McTiegue; starring Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Stephen Rea, John Hurt, Stephen Fry, Tim Piggott-Smith, Roger Allam and Eddie Marsan. “Remember, remember, the fifth of November…” My God, I don’t even know where to begin with this film. I could go on for ten pages and not do it justice. It took my two or three viewings to really “get” the film, get every subtle nuance, but when I did, holy hell, I was in such awe and admiration of director McTiegue, the Wachowski Brothers (who wrote the incomparable script) and the amazing cast, who put together a film that will stand for all time as not as a warning to just how easily hegemonic dictatorships are born and the collective will of a powerful nation can so easily succumb to paranoia and fear, but features, quite simply, one of the most kick-ass heroes ever conceived. Hugo Weaving, a very recognizable face from Lord of the Rings as well as the villainous Agent Smith in the Matrix movies, acts his ASS off as V, who must emote and project far beyond the Guy Fawkes mask that we never see his face without. His deep, precise, thespian-like voice chooses his plethora of words carefully and speaks them without stutter or hesitation, and we in the audience are enthralled. And then there is Natalie Portman’s character, Evie Hammond, who has been orphaned and victimized by the totalitarian government since childhood and now lives in constant fear but lacks the will to do anything about it. From the moment she allies herself with V, things start to change. (The moment of realization for Evie, coming near the end, of just how much inner strength she possesses, is simply one of the most moving, beautiful and cathartic that I have ever seen on film.) And, lest I forget, there is the character of Inspector Finch, played with such aplomb and gravitas by Stephen Rea. A lifelong server of a fascist government, when he is assigned the task of tracking down V after several prominent officials are murdered, he begins to uncover the heinous crimes that caused all those officials to seize power in the first place. The supporting cast is phenomenal, especially Hurt as the "Big Brother"-like dictator and Stephen Fry as Evie’s TV-host friend (that tribute to the old Benny Hill Show was hysterical). Though the film is over two hours long, not a second of screen-time is wasted, and the film ends with one of the greatest climaxes ever, and the ending scene where Evie voices her impressions of V while the gathered throng – including those who had died – reveal their faces while Parliament burns and the 1812 Overture plays. A beautiful, complex, rich film filled with outstanding performances and awesome action, V For Vendetta will be one of my favorite films until the day I die. I’m so glad that I’m one of many here who appreciates is. (8th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rRn8kM4-ds

silversurfer

E.T - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
- Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Henry Thomas, Dee Wallace, Drew Barrymore and Peter Coyote. I spoke recently about how many of my top ten are firmly focused on movies which I grew up with and loved, but still love to this day. One of those was E.T. Similarly to Star Wars, it was one of those films which was such an intricate part of my young life and the experience of watching movies like this shaped me into the guy that I am today. I still remember that iconic music, the curiosity and anticipation as we waited for our first given a glimpse of E.T, lured out of hiding by Elliot and his Reese's Pieces. The story or friendship, loneliness, loss, and the bittersweet pangs of childhood innocence slipping away is a deeply affecting one still today, and after all these years there is yet to be a movie which can bring together its audience in wonder like E.T. can. There is just so much to love about the movie, it's one full of joy, sadness, pain and euphoria; who hasn't cried when E.T is found out in the forest so pale and traumatized, before cheering with excitement when the boys, led by Michael on his bike, evade the police before launching into the air? It's a movie which is contagious, its charm irresistible, one which touches the heart and never lets go. Very few movies match this beauty and excitement, and only a director with the masterful ability to create such a piece of wonder through such simplicity could achieve it. I adored it as a child, and as an adult it shows you the world of a child so magnificently, and it releases the big kid inside me every time. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4yUQJeKZNs

thegreenarrow

Batman Returns (1992)
- Director: Tim Burton; starring Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Michelle Pfeiffer and Christopher Walken. While I enjoyed the first Burton Batman, and Nicholson's joker in particular, it was the sequel which would have a much greater impact on me. As a Burton fan, it felt much, much more like a work of Burton compared to the studio led first movie. It is iconic as a Burton movie, full of wounded individuals trying to reinvent themselves in a cruel world, and the themes of societal deterioration, and greed, fleshed out by Burton's vividly wild and Gothic set pieces were a match made in heaven. Visually it's stunning, no comic book movie has ever been so stylistically powerful, with it's dark, brooding atmosphere dwelling over the entire film, Elfman's music is haunting, while the ensemble actors are astonishing. It's frenetically paced, with each character battling it out for domination and somehow it all works so cohesively. DeVito is at his absolutely grotesque best, you feel the cold, wet and sliminess of his character, but you also sympathise and pity his curse. Walken is chillingly creepy, while Pfeiffer is stunningly seductive at Catwoman, but fragile as Selina. But best of all, we got more of Batman, no longer a side character but essential to the plot, and his tangled web of lust with Catwoman is delightful to watch. Forever inventive, it's a completely different Batman to the one we see nowadays, it's a Burton Batman, and it's funny, clever and deviously dark, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKiG_9C5T8E

transformers

The Godfather (1972)
- Director: Frances Ford Coppola; starring Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan and Diane Keaton. The one that started it all when it comes to organized crime movies. This film is considered to be the greatest movie ever made and I really can't argue with that. It's one of the most brilliantly written and well acted movies I have ever seen. The entire 3 hours is just pure film nirvana. It's insanely entertaining and deep. The Godfather is sensational. (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf16Vc3iZjE

englishozzy

Braveheart (1995)
- Director: Mel Gibson; starring Mel Gibson, Catherine McCormack, Brendan Gleeson and Patrick McGoohan. For all of Gibson's misdemeanors you cant help but feel that if in different circumstances he would be standing alongside the likes of Eastwood as the greats of cinema. Gibson, in his second installment as Director, delves into the Scottish folklore of William Wallace and gives us some truly great storytelling. Although historically suspect you can hand it to Gibson for a brilliant performance as Wallace himself, also the battle scenes are as intense as any other in history and some plaudits go to McGoohan for laying such a delightfully corrupt English King. One of my all-time favorite action films. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnGDeq40hI

Ron Burgundy

Trainspotting (1996)
- Director: Danny Boyle; starring Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremmer and Jonny Lee Miller. Danny Boyle creates his best movie here, in the grotty wet streets, the bleak dank heroin houses and the uncanny and unpredictable minds of Rent boy and co (superbly played by McGregor, Miller, Carlyle and Bremner). This movie still has that massive impact even time I watch it, the baby on the ceiling, the dirtiest toilet in the UK and the ultimate redemption of your own soul. With a great soundtrack too, this has cemented its spot here in my top 10 since the day I watched it first 8 years ago. (8th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUOTs55KY40

Buscemi

Memento (2001)
- Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantaliano, Jorja Fox and Stephen Tobolowsky. I remember first finding out about this film when I was thirteen and a video store employee recommended it to me while I was on a horror movie binge. The very next week, I rented the film (along with Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects and a few other films) and became genuinely enveloped into the world of Leonard Shelby and the events that he was going through while finding the man who may have murdered his wife and stole his memory. In the process, the story backtracks into showing the last things that in Shelby's life before his finds that man. In a way, it is a film where the end is the beginning and the beginning is the end. Anyways, Nolan's direction is fantastic and shows off why he is one of today's most highly-sought directors in the industry. Guy Pearce's performance is great and he fast became one of my favorite actors after I saw him here. The rest of the cast also does great and their characters add to the film's strangeness. The screenplay (based on a story by the director's brother) is well-told and has the passion that most Hollywood films. The film is weird and has a love it or hate it feel but I feel that it is a masterpiece of independent cinema and one of the most ingenious mystery films ever made. (9th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch9Y-fcGlKs

Chienfantome

The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003)
– Director: Peter Jackson, starring Viggo Mortensen, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan. Since the very first mention of a Lord of the Rings film, be it Fellowship, Two Towers or the Return of the King, in one of you guys' Tops, I have written more or less the same comment at each appearance : a great chapter to an amazing 9-hour film. Here’s why. Because I cannot detach one from another. Because for me, it’s a whole film, thought as a whole, shot as a whole, and cut in three. And it’s a monument of cinema. From the very minute of the Fellowship of the Ring to the very last of The Return of the King, Peter Jackson’s vision of Tolkien work has made me the happiest and most involved spectator I could have imagined. He created a universe I was made for, as a spectator. A universe I have felt home in from the beginning. I remember the excitement of sitting in the theater before discovering one of the three chapters in theater. I remember the heartbreak that was the end credits. I remember the void left by the end of the third film. I love epic films, I love the way they embark you on a journey only cinema can lead you to live. Jackson crafted the characters, the designs, the adventure that I longed for. And even seeing them later on DVD never lessened my love for Lord of the Rings. (5th appearance for Fellowship of the Ring, 9th appearance for The Two Towers], 7th appearance for Return of the KIng... I'm going to have to do it this way, much the same way as I did it for Kill Bill.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8GWbL1BnPY

numbersix

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
- Director: Sergio Leone; starring Claudia Cardinale, Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, and Jason Robards. I don’t consider myself to be a huge fan of westerns. Often they seem to be more like action films before action films came along. I find John Ford to be vastly over-rated in general, for example. But there are some exceptional examples. Leone upped the game with his distinct visuals and use of Morricone’s music. But even with the Dollars Trilogy I found it hard to connect with anyone, and could only delight in the imagery. But it’s this film that did something really special. Firstly, we get a character we really care about, in the form of Claudia Cardinale’s reformed hooker Jill, who after marrying a husband finds him and his children murdered by the mysterious and evil Frank. Also after Frank is a man labeled Harmonica, bent on revenge for something we don’t quite understand yet. And thrown in the mix is the brutish but witty Cheyenne, whose allegiance we can’t quite grasp. Leone’s film is an ode to the Western, a fond farewell that not only kills the genre but perfects it as well. The Wild West is coming to an end and Jill represents the future of what was once a rugged and rough land. Leone gives life to each and every character; they’re all distinct in personality (and get their own themes courtesy of Morricone). Hell, we even get to see the dreams of ruthless money man Morton, as he stares tearily at an image of the ocean on his train due West. This is what makes the film stand out from other Westerns: we get inside the heads of the characters. It is the ultimate Western because it amends all the flaws of previous examples- what do you expect when it was written by two film critics? (3rd appearance)

Here’s (part of) one of the greatest opening sequences to a movie ever made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW-jSa9_k3M

Banks

The Warriors (1979)
- Director: Walter Hill; starring Michael Beck, James Remar, David Patrick Kelly and Roger Hill. I’m not exactly sure when I first laid eyes on The Warriors, but I do remember my dad owning a VHS copy and my older brother watching it at least once a week. I guess some of his adoration for the film rubbed off on me, because I can never get tired of popping it in and immersing myself in the gang culture of 70s New York City and cheering on the Warriors on their journey through the boroughs to get home to Coney Island. Filled to the brim with inventive and colorful gangs – The Riffs, The Furies (a Yankee-themed bunch), The Orphans (“THIS IS WHATCHA GET WARRIORS!!”), The Lizzies (hot lesbians with guns), and of course The Rogues – The Warriors is the best one-night, Odyssey-journey movie I’ve ever seen. I also love how it was almost banned from theaters because it sparked widespread violence when it first opened in theaters – quite the influential flick.

The greatest public restroom fight ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3rwiADsAt8

BarcaRulz

The Dark Knight (2009)
- Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Cillian Murphy. My fifth Nolan film, and considering he has barely made more than that (only Insomnia and Following didn't make my list, and Insomnia is a great film IMO) this is a remarkable achievement. A truly gifted director/writer is able to turn the Batman universe into a realistic and gritty one. More like a Scorsese film than a superhero one, this has two of the best portrayals of villains in recent cinema history, with Ledger beyond amazing, and Eckhart fantastic as well. Has only gotten better with repeat viewing (of which there has been a lot, this film holds the record for 'most times seen in the cinemas' with 5 viewings). (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2szViJlaY

Geezer

The Boondock Saints (1999)
- Director: Troy Duffy; starring: Sean Patrick Flanery, Willem Dafoe and Norman Reedus. You all had to know this would be coming up on my list eventually. Another film where immediately after watching it I felt like I might have just witnessed the best film of all time. It is the perfect combination of a great plot, fantastic action, brilliant characters, and hilariously funny humor. Its a film that literally has it all. I really didn't want it to end, because I could watch the Saints doing their work for hours and hours. The McMannus brothers are excellently played by Flanery and Reedus, and Willem Dafoe swoops in and steals the show. And that doesn't even mention the hilarious turn from David Della Rocco as everyone's favorite "funny man." The sequel was great too, as it was more of the same, but that also meant it wasn't going to stand out as much as its predecessor. A perfect movie. (3rd appearance)

leestu

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
– Director Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones; starring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Michael Palin and Eric Idle. I am a huge Monty Python fan and believe they made some of the funniest movies ever. I remember a time when I was youngster, when I was watching this movie nearly every weekend. Below is the scene from which my I chose my slate name in the Monty Python Regulars league. (9th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4SJ0xR2_bQ

W

Saving Private Ryan (1998)
- Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Tom Hanks, Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns, Giovanni Ribisi, Barry Pepper and Matt Damon. My favorite war movie. People here have mentioned that the first fifteen minutes were spectacular, and they were. And they also say that the rest of the film was sub-par. I'd like to argue that the rest of the film is extremely good for different reasons. First, war isn't just a series of battles. It's fought on the home front and it's fought by keeping your troops happy, healthy, and fed. The "rest" of this film shows that and I believe it shows the soldiers' downtime well. Like my #5, it shows the duality of emotion where they crack jokes and at the same time know that they'll fear for their lives the next day.

The cast, for me, was stellar. One of the best I've seen. First, Giovanni Ribisi gave a performance that helped make him one of my favorite actors out there right now. Barry Pepper's sniper character was one of my favorites as well and the scene where he hits the German sniper through the scope is amazing. I really liked the development of Upham. Matt freaking Damon was a minor character (though the namesake, so I listed him). Hell, Vin Diesel gave a Hell of a performance. Oh, and Tom Hanks gives one of his most defining performances. Also, in the character/casting department, it was fun to see all the cameos and appearances from actors that are in films and shows that I love like Bryan Cranston, Paul Giamatti, Ted Danson, etc. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68t6PhbYiSo

NSpan

Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
– Director: George Lucas; starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Alec Guinness. (3rd appearance) (No comments... WTF, Spanny, it's TOP 5!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxwGGZ1BXC0

undeadmonkey

Pride and Prejudice (2005)
- Director: Joe Wright; starring Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen and Brenda Blethyn. I’ve read this book and it is hilarious, I don’t think I’ve ever read a funnier book. While the movie downplays the comedy and heightens the drama, the heart of the story is still the same and I love them both, book and movie. I’m sure most will think it’s a chick flick of sorts, and that’s your and their prerogative, but just in the way animated films are seen in bad light ‘oh they are just for kids’, Pixar and a few others have shown they can be amazing movies too, the same can be applied here. Acting is phenomenal across the board; two of the actresses Rosamund Pike and Kelly Reilly are especially wonderful. I’m surprised it has taken this long for them to get noticed. Keira Knightley was great as well. Donald Sutherland, Judi Dench and Brenda Blythen were perfect in their respective roles too. I’m sure you remember I have a soft spot for period pieces, and while I enjoy many of them, most are never great because they are so bogged down in getting the costume and setting and all the little details perfect that they forgot about the heart of the story itself. This movie however covers all aspects perfectly in my eyes. The camera work is engaging in the film, moving us through the scenes as if we were there. The cinematography is again top notch, with the beautiful countryside setting. I’m sure most girls who love the movie love it because of the love story, but that is not what really interests me in it. I see the movie as 'hope' again. Just like yesterdays film, but instead of a man it’s a woman. (yes, I do find Pride and Prejudice and Benjamin Button very similar). To me, the movie is about growing up, taking life into your own hands, be it love or hardship or pain or social stigma because people say ‘you can’t’ just because where you were born and not letting anything stop you. Hope to change your life for the better, no matter if the whole world comes against you. Which is what the scene, where Keira is standing on the edge of the cliff with the wind blowing against her represents to me. That scene is one of my top favorite moments in any film ever. Which is why this film is number 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARWfCBr0ZDM

JohnErle

Edward Scissorhands (1990)
– Director: Tim Burton; starring Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Dianne Wiest and Kathy Baker. Tim Burton finds his voice as a director in his most heart-breaking and ground-breaking work. The Wynona Ryder upskirt didn't hurt either. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq2PPFUhfpo

And here is the final docket for our #1 movies:

2/24: silversurfer
2/25: NSpan
2/26: JohnErle
2/28: Banks
3/1: BarcaRulz
3/2: W
3/3: Ron Burgundy
3/4: Buscemi
3/5: leestu
3/6: numbersix
3/7: Geezer
3/8: Chienfantome
3/9: thegreenarrow
3/10: englishozzy
3/11: undeadmonkey
3/12: transformers
3/13: Shrykespeare
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - I also am glad with the recognition this film has recieved throughout this countdown, was expected myself to be the only person with this film on their list. As probably snuck up mine without me noticing and may need to review its position after this little excercise. #79 on my list. 8/10

Ron - Although not my favourite Boyle film but still up there is my list. A grittytale of drug addiction so brilliantly portrayed by the actors. #19 on my list. 9/10

Buscemi - A movie popping up quite frequently at the moment, another original movie from Nolan that in the wrong hands could have been a disaster. 8/10

Chien - It will be interesting to hear what everybody has to say about combining all three films. All three are great movies though. 8/10

Barca - A film that will always be remembered for the wrong reasons. Everything about it is class. #31 on my list. 8/10

Leestu - My favourite Monty Python movie although Meaning of Life comes pretty close, easily my most quotable movie ever. #26 on my list. 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Star Wars (1977) – Director: George Lucas; starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Alec Guinness. (3rd appearance)

For all the reverence I gave Empire, I decided that this is a FAVORITES list... And, while I stand by my declaration that Empire is a "better-made film" than Star Wars, the original simply resonates even stronger with me. The film-purist (aka snob) in me is yowling at this brazen choice of pathos over logos. Sure, Empire transports me, but Star Wars transports me in less than twelve parsecs. That wide-shot of Luke contemplating his new life--underneath the two suns of Tatooine--is simply iconic. George Lucas' meddling with the editing has been a huge point of contention for most--and, sure, it bothers me that an artist would have the gall to revise a piece of art AFTER giving it to the public--but, honestly, there's no version of this movie that I don't adore.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Interesting picks for the Top 5

MOVIE #5

Shrykespeare: V For Vendetta (2005) – Well, you said it was coming up so at least I was expecting it ;) That's a hell of a description, Shrkye, and if I hadn't seen it you would make me want to. But ina way I had the opposite experience. I thought the dictatorship world it created didn't ring true (yes, I know it's a fantasy movie but it's trying to say something about what life could be like), and it comes across as a diluted version of 1984. I can understand if you like it as an action movie, but as a film beyond that I find its "message" to be rather adolescent. Especially in relation to what's happening at the moment with Arab Africa and the Middle East, where the generally just uprising has elements that are despicable. Things are more complex than this simplistic black-and-white story. I didn't think much of Weaving's performance, it's just theatrical and OTT. Portman's moment of epipheny is one of the most OTT and ridiculous scenes I have ever seen, and rather than feel for her (which was the intention) I literally laughed at how laboured the scene was. Oh and of course there's the patronising lesbian sory. The action didn't blow me away, but that's normally not my thing. But at least there's one good thing about it: I quite liked Stephen Rea in it!

silversurfer: E.T - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - I loved it as a kid too, although as I've grown it hasn't grown with me. Good, though.

thegreenarrow: Batman Returns (1992) - You know, I'm right with you on this one. I think it's still my favourite Batman movie (even though I like Burton's first and TDK). Sure, Batman was placed in a background a little bit in this one, but his ambiguous relationship with Selena Kyle was probably his most dramatic storyline. And DeVito was the ultimate villain, both evil yet a part of you sympathises with someone who is just bitter from being a reject. Great dialogue and great direction. Love it.

transformers: The Godfather (1972) - A true classic. A mafia movie indeed, but ultimately it's about what a person will do for their family, even if it means the destruction of their ideals.

englishozzy: Braveheart (1995) - Not my thing. I wouldn't mind its historical inaccuracies if it wasn't such a one-note film for its 3 hours. Braveheart is SO good and the English are SO bad and the film just hits that point over and over (there's a sort of interesting subplot with Robert the Bruce but all it really does it make Gibson's character a martyr). A self-righteous film without doubt.

Ron Burgundy: Trainspotting (1996) - Stylish, cool, but also damn disturbing.

Buscemi: Memento (2001) - I remember seeing this in the cinema and knowing nothing about it. I left feeling impressed, and I loved the melancholic score. On subsequent viewings I feel it stands the test of time. I know some here think it's a gimmick of a film but I feel there's enough emotional authenticity to work beyond the structure (when I posted it I liked to a scene with Leonard in bed, delivering a very powerful monologue).

Chienfantome: The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) – An interesting decision to lump all 3 together, but perhaps a correct one. It is one story, after all. If I had thought to do this I may have considered it for my Top 100. Sure, it's not perfect, some scenes could be cut and there's a lot of problems with the Second Act, but Jackson did well in realising Middle Earth and you can't help but be sucked in by the journey. I also like the complexity of the relationships between races, adding depth to an already engaging story.

Banks: The Warriors (1979) - A cult classic, that's for sure. A very cool and brutal film that plays out like a nightmare. Really enjoyed this, and I must check out Walter Hill's other films, to see if they are in any way similar.

BarcaRulz: The Dark Knight (2009) -Only 4th appearance so far? More coming, I assume. Interesting comparison to Scorsese. Maybe later Scorsese (there's comic-book elements to The Departed). A film I can appreciate.

Geezer

leestu: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) – Hilarious stuff. Intelligent too.

W: Saving Private Ryan (1998) - The reason I don't think the rest of the film lives up is because it follows a sort of predictable structure, and Spielberg sentimentalises it just a tad too much so that it contrasts heavily with the opening D-Day sequence. It's not bad (Spielberg does add some moments that are brilliantly harsh, like the knifing scene or the grenade throw) at all but perhaps not as good as it could have been. I also hated the framing device at the grave.

NSpan: Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) – Ah, the eternal war of head over heart. Well, they're both great films so it doesn't matter too much. There's a boyish excitement to this film, not just because of Luke but coming from Lucas's enthusiasm. So much so that you forget how bad some of the dialogue is! Very entertaining.

undeadmonkey: Pride and Prejudice (2005) - Austin's stories of manners have never interested me, but I did find plenty to enjoy in this film. The cinematography is excellent and there's a beautiful flow to the editing and pacing. And, a wise decision was made not to make the film glossy, as shown by the filthiness of the costumes. The story is well told and the support are excellent. As for Knightley, she's very charming in the movie. Some of her acting habits scream 21st Century a bit too much, but she still manages to impress. A solid movie though I tihnk Lee's Sense and Sensibility is superior.

JohnErle: Edward Scissorhands (1990) – A beautiful modern fairytale. Why can't Burton make movies like this anymore?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Added!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Six, interesting that you mention the score. I had really hoped that Nolan would get David Julyan for Inception (he usually does Nolan's more experimental, head-trippy films, such as The Prestige). Needless to say, I was very disappointed that he got Hans Zimmer for the film (and created another Zimmer-esque score).

At least Zimmer's not doing Superman (I would love to see them get David Hirschfelder on that one, but it will probably go to Tyler Bates).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Random Thoughts On Recent Picks

ET - The first movie I ever saw twice in a theatre. I was 10 and it was awesome.

Batman Returns - One of my favourite comic book movies and my favourite of the two Batman movies appearing this round.

LOTR - Aren't they close to 10 hours if you watch the extended editions? I did watch them all over the course of a long weekend once and they do work well as one long story, but I still think of them as three separate films since that's how I saw them first.

The Holy Grail - Brave Sir Robin ran away! Bravely ran away, away! When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled. Yes brave Sir Robin turned about, and gallantly he chickened out. Taking bravely to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat, bravest of the brave, Sir Robin! (Obviously I love this movie) :)

Pride And Prejudice - I respect the fact that you keep making choices like this even though you know some, if not most of the guys here will be rolling their eyes when you choose what they consider to be a chick flick. You're obviously not just checking movies off some list that's been pre-approved by the AFI or the IMDB, and for that I salute you. I liked this movie very much and I also wondered why Rosamund Pike didn't become a star after seeing her in this and that atrocious Bond movie she was in. Mr. Darcy is a wonderful character and MacFayden was terrific in the role. It didn't impress me quite as much as Sense And Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet, but it's a very good movie and picking this "chick flick" took balls, young man. Big brass balls.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I didn't like the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice. Too much story was cut and it became a Keira Knightley vehicle instead of the complex love triangle it's supposed to be.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:Six, interesting that you mention the score. I had really hoped that Nolan would get David Julyan for Inception (he usually does Nolan's more experimental, head-trippy films, such as The Prestige). Needless to say, I was very disappointed that he got Hans Zimmer for the film (and created another Zimmer-esque score)
Yeah, I'm pretty much sick of Zimmer's scores (they're all the same) though I do admit Inception's was different enough to impress. And if he did The Dark Knight then he deserves some praise despite being so repeitive most of the time.
JohnErle wrote:I liked this movie very much and I also wondered why Rosamund Pike didn't become a star after seeing her in this and that atrocious Bond movie she was in.
You should see Barney's Version. Not a great film but Pike was really good in it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #5

leestu - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
BarcaRulz - The Dark Knight
NSpan - Star Wars: A New Hope

Wow, three of my Top 4 in one day! (10/10, obviously)

Chienfantome - Lord of the Rings - Darn you, Chien... you just had to throw a monkey wrench into my point system by listing this as ONE movie, didn't you? Well, anyway, you know I love all three chapters. (10/10)

englishozzy - Braveheart - My #42. Great film. (10/10)

silversurfer - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - Considered it for my list. Truly terrific. (9/10)

W - Saving Private Ryan - Great war flick. (8/10)

thegreenarrow - Batman Returns - Aside from Batman & Robin (gack), my least favorite Batman film ever. (6/10)

transformers - The Godfather - Not much into organized crime movies, not even this one. (6/10)

JohnErle - Edward Scissorhands - Not a big Burton fan. (5/10)

Buscemi - Memento - Meh. (2/10)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:you forget how bad some of the dialogue is!
Ha! Very true. But that's testament to that magical je ne sais quoi that the film's overall spirit captures. I never even really noticed until I walked in on someone else mid-way through watching it. Without viewing it in full, I suddenly realized that it's actually a B-movie that just happened to really, REALLY work!
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:Chienfantome - Lord of the Rings - Darn you, Chien... you just had to throw a monkey wrench into my point system by listing this as ONE movie, didn't you? Well, anyway, you know I love all three chapters. (10/10)
Sorry buddy, I knew you weren't gonna like it :? You started the point system while we were already into the Top 100, so I had already chosen all my films, and I had already chosen to list them as one film. Had I known we would be making this points thing, maybe I would have made things differently... ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

arghhh posted my comments and had to sign in again, so you'll get abridged versions now

MOVIE #5

Shrykespeare - V For Vendetta (2005)
love it too, is in my 60s or so. also love V, he is like a hero of mine. I wish i could speak like him, english is my second language. While i can speak it well, there are times i still get a bit tounge tied or speak over myself.

silversurfer - E.T - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
only seen it once. liked it but haven't seen since i was 6. really need to see it again.

thegreenarrow - Batman Returns (1992)
also only seen once, but more recent, really enjoyed burton's batman series. want to see it again too.

Buscemi - Memento (2001)
you know i don't like

Chienfantome - The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003)
also love it. totally agree with everything you say

BarcaRulz - The Dark Knight (2009)
enjoy the movie, but i haven't so much enjoyed rewatching it.

leestu - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
only reason i'm glad i've seen it is because i now i don't have to see it.

W - Saving Private Ryan (1998)
also agree completely with what you say.

NSpan - Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
also an awesome movie. hope to see in theaters some day.

JohnErle - Edward Scissorhands (1990)
love this movie, but have only seen it once as well. it was fun and entertaining and heartwarming. Hope to see it again soon.

Haven't Seen

transformers - The Godfather (1972)

englishozzy - Braveheart (1995)

Ron Burgundy - Trainspotting (1996)

numbersix - Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

Banks - The Warriors (1979)

Geezer - The Boondock Saints (1999)