Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Post by Shrykespeare »

Got it, everyone. I will assume you will post your #1 yourselves unless you tell me otherwise. Surfer, you'll have to tell me what date greenarrow wants.

(So far, the only people who have sent me their #1s are ozzy, NSpan and JohnErle. )
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'll take March 8th, Shryke.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Star Trek
Wow, that's a very high spot you got here for Star Trek. But it's a blockbuster I had a blast watching, an epic space adventure that caught me vividly while no Star Trek film or series had ever caught my appreciation. A great film, yes.

Surfer - Star Wars
I completely know how you feel about it. Well, I can't say I love it as much as you, obviously, as I don't think I'll ever name a kid of mine after a Star Wars character (there's no way my girlfriend would allow that ! lol), but this kind of total love for a film is something I feel for a few of them. And Star Wars still appeared in my Top 30, so yes, it's one hell of a fantastic film !

greenarrow - My neighbour Totoro
Formidable pick, arrow. It's a great pleasure to see a Miyazaki appear so high on a list. And Totoro is one of his best. I only regret I haven't seen it in Japanese for now. I've only seen it in theater in a french-dubbed version.

transformers -40 year-old virgin
A deservedly cult comedy managing to be as hilarious as it is smart. Carell is perfect, and the supporting cast does an amazing... supporting job ;)

Ozzy - Seven
A more recent viewing, and I have little doubt Fincher's film would enter my Top 100. I haven't seen it in more than a decade, but boy what a fantastic film.

Ron B - Memento
It was the closest Nolan film to have almost made my Top. I wonder how many of us haven't listed a Nolan film. I bet we ain't that many...

Buscemi - Taxi Driver
A film I have only seen once when I was a teen. It made a great impression on me, particularly De Niro's Travis, but it's been way too long.

Six - The Battle of Algiers
Ha ! The Battle of Algiers... What a choice in your Top Ten, Six ! Unfortunately, like you said, it's a film that as been banned and hard to see in France for a looooong time, and so I have yet to see it.

Banks - Boogie Nights
PT Anderson is a consistently dedicated and passionate director, and his films are very interesting to watch. I haven't seen Boogie Nights since theater, 13 years ago already, but I still remember how dense and great it was.

Barca & Geezer - Fight Club
What a punch in the face this film was. I haven't seen it in a long time, like Seven, which I prefer to Fight Club, but it's an emblematic film of its time.

leestu - The Two Towers
A fantastic second chapter of a glorious 9-hour film.

W - Independence Day
Wow ! ID4 in your Top Ten ! I know what to expect of you, W, the unexpected, so I'm not that surprised ;) And besides, as far as blockbusters with alien invasions and big explosions go, yes, it's a fun film.

NSpan - The Empire Strikes Back
Yes, it most definitely is the best Star Wars film ever made. Appeared 10 rounds ago or so in my own Top ;)

UDM - Pirates of the Caribbean : The Curse of the Black Pearl
Well, you probably already know what I'm going to say, right ? Boooooooring ;) The POTC films give me a headache and an instant desire to sleep ;)

John Erle - The Shining
Now here's one which wouldn't put me to sleep. Chilling, scary, with such an art of filming. Great film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I'll take the 28th.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - How to train your dragon
It was a very nice and very enjoyable film, but to be honest nowhere near the best films of 2010 for me, so seeing it appear as your #7 surprises me, to say the least ;)

Surfer - Rope
Well I finally saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago as it was aired on TV. Fantastic Hitchcock film, I can only understand you feel so much love for this film. So audacious, so tense, so well filmed.

Arrow - Barton Fink
5th appearance already for Fink, that's great. It really is one of the Coens' best. A fascinating film about creation, and inspiration, with that crazy little tone of them.

transformers - American History X
A good film, but that takes too obviously some easy ways to say what it wants to say. But Norton makes it powerful, yes.

Ozzy - Donnie Darko
I listed it very early in my Top. A hypnotizing film that works as a fantasy film and as a teen movie. And I seem to be the only one here, but I disagree with the common opinion that Kelly has only disappointed since Darko, as "The Box" was one of my favourite films of 2009...

Ron B - Anchorman
I wondered when this hilarious comedy filled with great dialogues and absurd characters would show up on your Top ;)

Buscemi - Pulp Fiction
Yes, you definitely are a huge Tarantino lover, Boosch. Good for you, he's a fantastic filmmaker, and Pulp Fiction certainly is deserving of a Top 10 spot.

Six - Persona
As I've told you before, Bergman is one of my weak points in European cinemas (I wish he was the only one !), so I can't say I've seen Persona...

Banks - Jurassic Park
Great pick, Banks. In the blockbuster area, you can't do much better than this entertaining fiml that grips you as much as it marvels you. It's appeared in my Top 100 already.

Barca - THe Shawshank Redemption
An extraordinary film finding greatness in simplicity. Darabont proves with it that you don't need to take the hard path to make something amazing.

Geezer - The Big Lebowski
Heyyyyyy, Geezer, what a nice surprise to see the Coen's masterpiece in your Top 10 ! Bravo my friend, bravo. You are right, it is a film that gets better and better at each viewing. 9th appearance already, excellent !!

leestu - LOTR : The Fellowship of the Ring
An amazing introduction to a magnificent 9-hour film.

W - The hangover
A fun comedy. What you say about it... I was gonna say "surprises me". But not that much after all ;) I liked it, but it will never be Top 100 material for me.

NSpan - Annie Hall
Another Annie Hall lover, welcome aboard, sir ;) It's Woody Allen's gem, the film that defined his style, his humour, his talent.

UDM - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
I had forgotten about this film ! Actually I think I had quite enjoyed it. I don't remember it that much, which is surprising since it's not that old, but I think I had a good time watching it.

JohnErle - The Breakfast Club
A great teen film that does not go for the easy gags or the expected intrigue. It's original, it's wonderfully written and cast. And it does not get old, surprisingly. Excellent film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Shryke
How To Train Your Dragon - I remember you raving about this when it came out, but I still cannot get all the love for it, personally. It's well-told and likeable, sure, and it's definitely a continuation of Dreamworks' recent brilliantness, but I would never fathom it being in somebody's Top 10. Good movie, but I guess I just don't get it.

EnglishOzzy
Donnie Darko - Didn't really like it when I first saw it, and seeing Kelly's other films, I think this is just his usual "out there" stuff. Talk about one-trick pony.

RonB
Anchorman - Of course! I really liked this, and recently caught a bit of it on TV, and I ended up watching the whole thing again. Funny as hell, and I really want to check out Wake Up, Mr. Burgundy one day.

Buscemi
Pulp Fiction - Good, good stuff. Movie falters for me a bit whenever Travolta and Sam Jack are not on-screen, but when they are, it's pure electricity. If I'm making my list over, I'd put Basterds above this, but really you can't go wrong with Tarantino.

Barca
The Shawshank Redemption - Love it. Epic. Beautiful story of friendship.

W.
The Hangover - This was the funniest movie I'd seen since Bad Santa. It gets a lot of play on Cinemax and HBO, so it's gotten less and less great with repeated viewings. Still pretty good though.

JohnErle
The Breakfast Club - Terrific film. On my list, although it probably should've been higher.

Haven't Seen:

SS
Rope - But your description just catapulted this to the top of my Netflix!

GreenArrow
Barton Fink - Been wanting to see it for awhile now.

Tranny
American History X - Ditto

Chien
Once Upon A Time In The West - Never heard of it until now.

Six
Persona - I loved Black Swan, and this sounds interesting.

Geezer
The Big Lebowski - I tried to watch it once, but didn't make it past the first 5 minutes. Been meaning to try again soon.

leestu
LOTR: Fellowship - Meh. I've never been interested in the LOTR movies.

NSpan
Annie Hall - On the list for years. And it's on streaming Netflix so I really have no excuse.

UDM
Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow - Not really interested, I've got a bunch of other Jolie movies I want to see.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Banks !!! You had never heard of Once upon a Time in the West until now ??!! Are you joking ?!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It shall be his introduction to Sergio Leone, Dario Argento and Bernardo Bertolucci.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Chienfantome wrote:Banks !!! You had never heard of Once upon a Time in the West until now ??!! Are you joking ?!
The only reason I've heard about it or seen it is because I'm doing the whole "I've got to eventually watch the entire Top 250" thing (it's #20). It's another one I found on YouTube.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Put me down for the earliest possible slot.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Give me March 7th, sandwich me between 6 and Chien :twisted:
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't care as long as I get a spot. :)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Can I have 5th March please?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer wrote:Give me March 7th, sandwich me between 6 and Chien :twisted:
Oh boy... ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

He's trying to make an American cheese sandwich, inbetween a piece of Irish soda bread and a piece of French bread.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr