Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Post by undeadmonkey »

W wrote:I could be wrong, Chien, but I think that by "Hollywood" he's referring to the feel of the film and not specifically how the film was made. I think Hollywood (for him) is a metaphor for films that you can tell the people that make them don't really care about the art of film making (at least in that particular project) as much as how much it's going to gross. He's saying this film is less corporate, I think.

Having said that, I haven't seen the film, this is just what I get from the context of the word.

yea, that's more or less what i meant.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #8

Shrykespeare - Star Trek (2009)
what you say is totally right. and boy the movie was fun too. One of the only a few dvds that i bought that year. So far i have enjoyed it every time i rewatched it, but there is a little something missing to make it be a total favorite of mine, honestly i don't really know what it is. Also did you know that Lucille Ball and her studio was the one who greenlit the original show and funded it. I always found that an interesting bit of information.

silversurfer - Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
hah, that was kinda funny. While i don't cry when Obi Wan gets struck down, i do like the movie, just obviously not as much as you ;)

thegreenarrow - My Neighbour Totoro (1988)
i recently saw this, and while i didn't like it as much as a few other Ghibli films, it was still very good.

transformers - The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)
i also recently saw this, i thought it was mediocre at best, and i surely didn't laugh as often as you did. there were a few chuckles in there for me though

englishozzy - Se7en (1995)
totally agree, unlike most thrillers today that add gore and the like because, 'ooh it's cool and people want to see it'. Seven showed the gruesome side of it and didn't have it in there for gratuity's sake. great movie

Ron Burgundy - Memento (2000)
so glad i've seen it already. just hope it's not in the top ten.

Banks - Boogie Nights (1997)
i've seen it, but i don't remember anything about it other than that i didn't like it.

BarcaRulz - Fight Club (1999)
Geezer - Fight Club (1999)
maybe i just don't get the movie. like i've said before, i've seen it three times and i still don't feel one way or another about it. Maybe that's just how i'm going to leave it, as meh.

leestu - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
i wouldn't exactly call this a big hollywood blockbuster, even though it is a big hollywood blockbuster, you know what i mean ;) . i love the movie too

W - Independence Day (1996)
i like the new V show. although i'm sure it wont last beyond this season. Movie is alright.

NSpan - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
can't fault you, i picked it myself

Haven't Seen
is it just me, or have the films been getting more general, this is probably the most i've seen from any round.

Buscemi - Taxi Driver (1976)

Chienfantome - Dr. Strangelove (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) (1964)

numbersix - The Battle of Algiers (1966)

JohnErle - The Shining (1980)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Catching up:

Movie #9

Lots of awesome stuff!

Geezer - V For Vendetta - I echo everything you said, dude. Still coming up for me. (10/10)

englishozzy - Liar Liar - My #26. Didn't expect to see this again on anybody's list, especially this high. An absolutely hysterical movie, Jim's funniest ever. Great pick. (10/10)

JohnErle - The Princess Bride - My #45. Another classic film that has gotten tons o' love here, and rightly so. (10/10)

silversurfer - The Thing - My #46. Didn't expect to see this on anybody else's list either, but I'm so glad that I did. You have great taste! (10/10)

NSpan - Raiders of the Lost Ark - My #76. An undeniable classic. Not surprised it's been picked so many times. (9/10)

Ron B - Sin City - A terrific film. Great atmosphere, great action, great characters. (8/10)

BarcaRulz - Pulp Fiction - Wow, this film has cropped up a lot in the last week! (8/10)

Banks - Reservoir Dogs - It'll be interesting to see what director gets picked the most overall. It looks like it'll be a race between Nolan, the Coens, Kubrick, and QT. (7/10)

Buscemi - American Beauty - Very good film. Spacey deserved his Oscar. (7/10)

Movie #8

silversurfer - Star Wars: A New Hope - The ultimate adventure story of all time. Coming up. (10/10)

englishozzy - Se7en - My #39. Best serial killer movie, ever. (10/10)

leestu - LOTR: The Two Towers - My #63. Great chapter of the trilogy. (10/10)

UDM - POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl - My #90. Another great adventure story. Am actually looking forward to #4 this summer. (9/10)

NSpan - The Empire Strikes Back - I understand all the love, but it just missed my list. (9/10)

W - Independence Day - Loved it when it first came out, but it hasn't aged terribly well. Not even sure why. (8/10)

John Erle - The Shining - Scary film. Liked it. (5/10)

Ron B - Memento - Sorry, can't agree. Didn't like it in the slightest. (2/10)

I just realized something... I think that the only actor or actress to appear in my Top 10 twice is Karl Urban. That's kinda funny. Oh, and Hugo Weaving. That sounds better.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Karl Urban's also playing Judge Dredd. It's not that bad.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Actually, never mind. Morgan Freeman appears twice as well.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #10

Shrykespeare: Lucky Number Slevin (2006) – After all the praise it's received on here I've been wanting to see if for a while. I had the chance over Christmas, as we were house sitting for some friends and noticed they owned this. We put it on though but found it was scratched within an inch of it's life and wouldn't work. Curse people who can't look after their dvds properly. Always pick them up using your fingertips on the edges, and never use them as coasters for your mugs (that's what my brother used one of my cds I'd lent him once...). So still wanna watch this! (N/A)

silversurfer: Jaws (1975) - You're surprised to see one of the most tense and entertaining movies ever made in my top ten, six? Like I admitted earlier, my top ten is a list of movies I find both thrilling and nostalgic, movies I have watched dozens or more times, and this is one of the best. It's not my favourite Spielberg, but it's one of his greatest.

thegreenarrow: Vertigo (1958) - Made my own list, so obviously I love it. (10/10)

transformers: Kill Bill Vol.1 (2003) - Absolutely spot on with your comments, a tremendously enjoyable movie and on of QT's best. (9/10)

englishozzy: 28 Days Later… (2002) - I listed it just a couple of days ago, so obviously we have a similar love affair with this film. Shot to beautiful effect (I think it was one of the first movies I remember being shot digitally), that opening scene of London is stunning, and there is an honesty lingering over the movie, which I feel is largely down to Boyle and Murphy's performance. The music works so well with it too, really building up from a slow, expansive and sombre opening to the dramatic, terrifying climax. Stunning movie. (10/10)

Ron Burgundy: The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - Very true, perhaps a little too sentimental at times, but they are great performances and the escape scene is euphoric to see pan out. Clever and well written. (7.5/10)

Buscemi: Rear Window (1954) - Another Hitchcock movie I listed recently, and yes, I love that Simpsons parody too! (10/10)

Chienfantome: Rio Bravo (1959) – Not a movie I've seen, and I'm not really a fan of Wayne at all, his performances just never really appeal to me, but as it sems it was the inspiration for Assault On Precinct 13, and with the description you have given, I am intrigued as it doesn't appear to be anything like a typical western. Will look it up. (N/A)

numbersix: Taxi Driver (1976) - I actually watched this again last week as it'd been a while since I last saw it and wanted to refresh my dampened opinion of it. Man, you are totally correct, that ending, where he is regarded a hero, it emphasises the power it possesses to completely skew a point of view. It's a really well paced movie, gently showing De Niro's regression to the psychotic state he falls into, and his performance is stunning. I've now have a new found appreciation for the movie. (8/10)

Banks: The Dark Knight (2008) -It sat just outside my top 100, so obviously I'm a fan. One of the very greatest comic book movies ever, a crime drama hidden behind a superhero movie. Great performances and almost perfect direction, along with some stunning visuals. (9.5/10)

BarcaRulz: Arlington Rd. (1999) - Like six, I felt the ending was a little contrived, but it was an entertaining and engaging movie with good performances. For some reason this movie always reminds me of 10 Rillington Place, I think it's just because they are both titles of roads, but man that was a great movie too. But that's a story for another day... (6.5/10)

Geezer: Pulp Fiction (1994) - Indeed a very worthy movie, it made my top 100 too, so I feel the love. (10/10)

leestu: The Deer Hunter (1978) – To be honest, I'm sure this would be closer to my top 100 if I'd watched it more often. I think I've only watched it twice, and it's been a while since the last time. But it was very good both times. Along with Thunderbolt And Lightfoot, Cimino was a real talent. (8/10)

W: Die Hard (1988) - A movie which could very well have made my own top 100 on another day, an infinitely enjoyable action movie filled with suspense and fun. (9/10)

NSpan: 8½ (1963) - Obviously I haven't watched it again in the last couple of days, so my opinion hasn't changed. I'll try not to call it pretentious, but it did feel exactly that when I was watching it last. I cared nothing for any of the characters or what they were doing. The plot just didn't interest me and after as good two or three times I'm still to get the entire way through it. (5/10)

undeadmonkey: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) - I'm with six, there were far too many Elvish poems in the books, and the ending, well let's just say it is even worse than the movie. The Shelob scene was a big underwhelming moment though. In the book she was truly terrifying and the suspense I built up in my head just didn't play out on screen, and then that ending. If only they'd cut it after the crowning of the king, it would have been so much better. Instead we got the ending that never ended... (7/10)

JohnErle: The Exorcist (1973) - A movie I admitted recently I need to rewatch, and look forward to doing so, as right now it was a little underwhelming (6.5/10)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote: I'm not sure what you mean about Duvall's character type not being in movies anymore, the dependant woman is still everywhere in cinema.
And your example would be...?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Sigh.... the Narnia films, The Killer Inside Me, Slumdog Millionaire, The Town, The Illusionist, Kick Ass, etc etc. And remember I haven't seen many of the Hollywood blockbuster which are usually the worst culprits.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Amazingly enough, Duvall was nominated for a Razzie on The Shining. Apparently they didn't know what went on behind the scenes.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, I didn't know that. She's actually great in it, as a person who simply can't comprehend what's happening and completely unravels.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:She's actually great in it, as a person who simply can't comprehend what's happening and completely unravels.
I agree, and she was convincing in a way I haven't seen any actress pull off since Duvall. The first thing you thought of to compare her to was the children of the Narnia films, which is a testament to the fragility and helplessness I'm talking about. And I haven't seen the Killer Inside Me, but since it was labelled a misogynistic film it's obvious people aren't accustomed to seeing that kind of character any more. As for Slumdog and The Town, no, not even close. Those characters would have chewed Wendy up and spit her out.

A real key to The Shining for me is that early scene where Duvall tells the story of how Jack once broke Danny's arm and the doctor stares at her in stunned silence. Put a beautiful, strong woman like Blake Lively in that role and the audience wouldn't believe that Wendy would have stayed with Jack as long as she did. But with Duvall it works because you can believe that she doesn't have anywhere else to go. Lively's desperate clinging to Affleck was the least convincing aspect of The Town.

And that scene where she interrupts Jack's writing and he completely loses it, she's like a dog who's been beat too much cowering in the corner. She just takes the abuse and walks away, which is something I can't imagine a modern character doing. And all this makes her ultimate survival that much more remarkable.

The closest I can think of in recent years was Precious, but even that character was tougher and more willing to fight back from the very beginning.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Funny thing about The Shining (especially after watching all the documentaries) is how much I WANT Jack to kill Shelly. Even in the beginning, when she's talking in the car, I just want to strangle her. So, when the murderous rampage finally begins, I'm almost rootin' for the villain.... but, then again, Danny seems alright--so I'm torn. :D
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Danny didn't even want to go, Mrs. Torrance.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

NSpan wrote:Funny thing about The Shining (especially after watching all the documentaries) is how much I WANT Jack to kill Shelly. Even in the beginning, when she's talking in the car, I just want to strangle her. So, when the murderous rampage finally begins, I'm almost rootin' for the villain.... but, then again, Danny seems alright--so I'm torn. :D

I know, and that's also part of why she was perfect for the role. Stick virtually any other Hollywood actress in there and the audience is thinking "Oh come on! Just dump that asshole! You can do better, girl!"

With Duvall in the role it's more like "Okay, this Jack guy has his faults, but she should try to make things work. Maybe they should get away from it all and spend some time alone together." ;-)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #9

Shrykespeare: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) – I tend to think the Academy held off on all the awards solely as they knew no matter what the finale would get them all. I found the first movie far more deserving storywise, and the second far better for acting, but I guess the Academy thought it better to give all the awards at the culmination of the series. (7/10)

silversurfer: The Thing (1982) - The remake is totally unnecessary, no doubt, but for some reason I'm intrigued to check it out nevertheless. That trailer wasn't awful but there is no way it will ever outdo the original.

thegreenarrow: The Emperor's New Groove (2000) - This came out in the middle of the Disney decline, but it kind of bucked the trend by actually being funny. Always watchable, though not in the same league as the original classics for me. (8/10)

transformers: The Boondock Saints (1999) - I knew it was only an amount of time. It's entertaining, but nothing more. The plot is almost non existent, the acting is beyond woeful and the film is just far too much a case of style over substance. And if this was to be Defoe's career highlight it would be a sad moment in film. (5/10)

englishozzy: Liar Liar (1997) - Yeah, this is a list of each other's favourite movie's and there is no accounting for taste here. I guess I can understand why some may like it, the concept is a decent idea. But it very, very quickly grows old and I can think of 5 Carrey movies alone which are better than this. Far too predictable a story which runs out of steam far too early. (5/10)

Ron Burgundy: Sin City (2005) - Sin City 2 will never happen. It's just been far too long and everyone has moved on. Still, just having this classic is enough for me. It could never be topped anyway. (10/10)

Buscemi: American Beauty (1999) - A clever, well made movie with great dialogue and performances. Benning and Spacey in particular are awesome. (9/10)

Chienfantome: The Bridges of Madison County (1995) – I'm pretty sure Helena would love this, but I've never had any urge to watch this kind of film. However I said only a couple of rounds ago how a movie like Brief Encounter can completely subvert the stereotypes of its genre, so maybe this would be impressive. I'll keep an eye out and Helena will be delighted if it's ever on! (N/A)

numbersix: His Girl Friday (1940) - One of the greatest comedies ever, it made my own list and I completely concur with all your comments. (10/10)

Banks: Reservoir Dogs (1992) - Another on my own list, and my favourite QT movie. And I too often question tipping, I don't mind rewarding good service, but I object to tipping which is included as a service charge. I've had really bad service some times, and being forced to pay for such poor service is ridiculous. And when I worked minimum wage in a supermarket when in uni I never received tips, what makes a waitress any more worthy? I worked just as hard. It's a silly concept really, it was highlighted in an episode of Curb I watched recently when Larry goes to a hotel but never has any change, but I guess that's a problem with etiquette. (10/10)

BarcaRulz: Pulp Fiction (1994) – Another QT movie and another in my own top 100, good pick. (10/10)

Geezer: V for Vendetta (2006) - I do love it, it fell just outside my top 100, but I don't think it's anywhere near the greatest movie ever made. It's fun, it's well acted, and it's very enjoyable, but when it comes to great cinema, it's nowhere near. If it had stuck closer to the comic maybe it could have been, but instead it is just a very, very good action movie. (9/10)

leestu: Midnight Cowboy (1969) – I watched this for the first time last year, and while I enjoyed watching it, I can honestly say I have no desire to watch it again. It obviously didn't have the same impact on me as you. In the year I was born there were a couple of movies in my top ten and one which was nominated for Best Picture, but it didn't win. (6/10)

W: O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) - A very enjoyable movie, but not in any way close to my favourite Coen's movies. In fact, bar Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers, Raising Arizona and Burn After Reading, it's one of their worst. It's just more of a testament as to how good the Coens can be. It has some great acting, comedy and music. (7.5/10)

NSpan: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) – Not my favourite Indy movie, that belongs to Last Crusade, but it is a fascinating film in it's own right, with great action, a truly scary ending and always a whole lot of fun. (9/10)

undeadmonkey: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - Like six, I've heard nothing but bad things about the movie so I've avoided it like the plague. (N/A)

JohnErle: The Princess Bride (1987) – Another movie in my own countdown, just a great fantasy movie. (10/10)