Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #10): 10-2

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

undeadmonkey wrote:
Shrykespeare - V For Vendetta (2005)
love it too, is in my 60s or so. also love V, he is like a hero of mine. I wish i could speak like him, english is my second language. While i can speak it well, there are times i still get a bit tounge tied or speak over myself.
Trust me, 99% of native English speakers could never give a monologue like V. That must've took months of rehearsal and tons of takes.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i just read that Hugo Weaving is not in all of the takes as V. James Purefoy left four weeks into the shoot and in some of the scenes that is him as V. did not know this. Also, originally, they had a microphone in the mask for all the lines, but as Purefoy was replaced and they didn't like the sound of the microphone, they dubbed all of V's lines in post production

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #4

Shrykespeare

The Dark Knight (2009)
– Director: Christopher Nolan; starring Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Cillian Murphy, Neston Carbonell, Eric Roberts, Anthony Michael Hall, William Fichtner and Michael Jai White. I know they don’t give out Knighthoods (pardon the pun) in the United States, but if they did, I’d be the first to nominate Christopher Nolan for one, based on what he has done thus far in his career (but I’d also nominate him for this film alone). This is, quite simply, the PERFECT superhero/comic book movie. Minus the camp, kitsch and aiming-for-the-LCD factor that inhibits most movies of this genre, The Dark Knight became the crown jewel in Nolan’s cap… my God, has it only been 19 months since this came out? It sure seems like longer… You know, when they were casting the villain for this movie, and when I heard that the Joker was going to be played by Heath Ledger, I remember saying that there were 20 or so actors that I would RATHER have seen get the role. Once I saw it, however, I not only ate those words but shat them out and ate them again (yeah, that’s a gross analogy, but it seems to fit). Ledger was electric as the Joker, and he commanded the screen every time he was on it, just oozing barely-controlled insanity from every pore, creeping us out with every delicious syllable that escapes his lips. Never has a superhero’s arch-nemesis been played so thoroughly, convincingly, unobtrusively evil as Ledger’s Joker. He deserved his Best Supporting Actor Oscar in spades, and I maintain was a shoe-in to win even if he hadn’t tragically passed away right after filming was completed. I thank my stars every time I watch it that the Lord above waited until the movie was finished before he took our beloved Heath away. And of course, the myriad of outstanding actors that make up the supporting cast (I mean, Oldman, Caine and Freeman? These are actors incapable of doing a bad job) is phenomenal as usual, even Maggie G, who took some heat for “barely improving” on the actress she replaced, Katie Holmes. Whatever. And the barely-known Eckhart gave a career performance as Harvey Dent, I can’t say enough good things about that. One thing’s for sure: Nolan has got his work cut out for him with The Dark Knight Rises. I mean, TDK is the highest-grossing film of all time by anyone NOT named James Cameron… topping that is going to be a monumental task. But given what Nolan has done thus far, I think most Batman fans would trust him with their very lives at this point. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y2szViJlaY

silversurfer

Back To The Future (1985)
- Director: Robert Zemeckis; starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover. Man, you just don't get any cooler than Back to the Future. Undeniably one of the most entertaining movies I have ever seen, it inspired the young 7-year-old in me with it's cool dialogue (probably the best Zemeckis has ever written), hip soundtrack, smart time travel concept (which is actually believable and almost logical still today) and in Michael J. Fox, the guy you absolutely wanted to be. From those opening scenes as Marty wakes up in Doc's house, wanders past the automated breakfast maker (which I'm sure inspired Wallace and Gromit) and hitches a ride on the back of a Ute to the sounds of Huey Lewis, I was just in love with this movie. Frenetically paced, filled with wit and flair, and some dazzling effects which are still more than accomplished today, there is not an aspect of this movie I am not obsessed with. I recently re-watched the movie, in fact I seem to watch it at least once a year and often more, but it's stunning how well it's held up. Maybe that's because the time travel idea transports them back to the mid 50s, so becoming timeless in itself, but I think it's just a movie which is always fresh and innovative, and I've even begun to acknowledge some of the rather perverse Freudian ideals which Zemeckis played with. There are so many scenes I am in love with; I love the one where Marty dresses up in his Radioactive suit and awakens his father with the blasts of sci-fi and Darth Vader, it's so funny, and that climax with the Biff knockout and the 'Johnny B. Goode' is so enjoyable to watch. But it's not a dumb, entertaining movie, it's one which still makes sense despite growing older, it's a movie which was marketed to kids but really appeals to so many different audiences, with clever concepts of time travel which still make you think today. In fact, it's so great, so appealing, that if you don't like Back to the Future, it's difficult to believe you like films at all. (8th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYqE-f7ojY

thegreenarrow

Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- Director: Tim Burton; starring Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Diane Wiest, Alan Arkin, Anthony Michael Hall and Vincent Price. Burton's magical fairytale is such a delightful movie of the misunderstood artist, filled with romance, drama, action and heartbreak, it's the most complete Burton movie to date. The gothic atmosphere contrasted with the Burbank inspired suburbia sets up an often told tale with an original twist. Burton crafted a story which is impossible to fall in love with, a character so undeniably touching and his choice of actors was perfect. Dianne West is delightfully charming as the Avon rep who, upon finding Edward all alone in his castle, whisks him down to suburbia and tries as she may to integrate him into society, Alan Arkin is fabulously droll as the laid back husband, Winona Ryder is delightfully romantic, against stereotype cheerleader, while Johhny Depp is absolutely sublime as the lonely, innocent, delicate deformed outsider who's gentle nature nature makes him a freak in the eyes of the community. It's such a melancholic fable, filled with sadness, but there are also moments of sheer joy and excitement, with Edward trying to find his place in a society which doesn't appreciate him. Visually stunning and an Elfman score which complements the romantic fairy tale, Burton's most personal story is a poetic and genuinely heartfelt tale, and one which is forever charming. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DU6efROG50

transformers

Reservoir Dogs (1992)
- Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Harvey Kietel, Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi, Chris Penn and Michael Madsen. First impressions are always important and Quentin Tarantino made a hell of a first impression with Reservoir Dogs. Very few directors make films this good in their entire careers, let alone as their debut. Reservoir Dogs is such a fascinating movie with such an eccentric and amazing bunch of characters. The characters are so well written and Tarantino’s gift of masterful dialogue carries this movie. There really isn't much action at all (outside of the insane ear cutting scene). This movie floored me on the first viewing and continues to do on subsequent viewings. (9th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38
(Just an example of how fantastic Tarantino's dialogue is)

englishozzy

Toy Story (1995)
- Director: John Lasseter - Stars: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Don Rickles, John Ratzenberger, Wallace Shawn and Jim Varney. You have to take your hat off to John Lasseter and Pixar for having the courage to produce the very first full-length animated feature and to outshine every film from that year. Starting from the loveable characters which we have all learned to love over the years to the brilliant storytelling that Pixar are now renowned for. A children's movie that can be engaging and funny no matter what age you are, this film is just inch perfect and can be giving the honor of the movie that started it all. (10th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYz2wyBy3kc

Ron Burgundy

L.A Confidential (1997)
– Director: Curtis Hanson; starring Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Kevin Spacey, Danny DeVito, Kim Basinger, David Strathairn, James Cromwell, Ron Rifkin and Simon Baker. Russell Crowe at his best, matched by the other great Aussie actor Guy Pearce, surrounded by the likes of Spacey, DeVito, Cromwell, Strathairn and Basinger who all deliver powerhouse performances. When I first watched it I thought it was the best crime drama I had seen, and I still feel the same, it has some gripping scenes like the chair snapping interrogation and the Mexican police bashers bashing all the while leading up to a climatic finale. Curtis Hanson cleverly carves a story that was probably not too far from the truth in those days of corruption and shadow daggering. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nnFof4KpKY

Buscemi

Wall-E (2008)
- Director: Andrew Stanton; starring Ben Burtt, Elissa Knight, Jeff Garlin, John Ratzenberger and Kathy Najimy. Possibly the finest animated feature ever made. Inspired heavily by the films of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton along with space operas such as 2001, Pixar, co-writer/director Andrew Stanton and sound designer Ben Burtt manage to create one of the most entertaining and expression-filled characters in cinema history with Wall-E. The film proves that one can make a great film with limited dialogue, as the imagery and the actions of the heroes do the talking. Watching this little guy live his life and become an accidental hero while chasing the girl he loves is amusing and you, the audience member, will be cheering for him to do so. There is more humanity and expression in this little robot in one film than some actors show over their entire careers. As for the rest, Stanton and co-writer Jim Reardon manage to create an excellent screenplay built mainly on the actions rather than dialogue, filled with characters that you love and care about. Pixar's animation is top-notch as usual while Ben Burtt manages to create an amazing set of sound effects (taking four years to do so) that create the voices of Wall-E and nearly every robot character (the fact that he didn't win an Oscar here is possibly the most shocking loss in recent memory). This is comedy and animation at its finest and the type of film that puts most live-action films to shame. (9th appearance)

And a personal note: this is the only film that I paid to see in first-run twice.
[url]Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geplBr2fcZc[/url]

Chienfantome

Dances with Wolves (1990)
– Director: Kevin Costner, starring Kevin Costner, Mary McDonnell, Graham Greene, Rodney E. Grant and Maury Chaykin. Yes, Dances with Wolves. Don’t be surprised. Don’t be shocked. Don’t be annoyed. It’s okay, apparently it’s not contagious, since I don’t recall it appearing on any Top up until now… Had I not rewatched it a couple of years ago on DVD, after years without doing so, it would have probably appeared outside my Top 30. But I have rewatched it, the 4-hour cut. Considering its running time, it is a film I have watched surprisingly often. I remember seeing in theater with my parents when it was released, I was 10 or so. I remember watching it three or four times with my sister on VHS when we were teens. I was fascinated by it back then. But when I started going to cinema a lot, I stopped watching it, until a couple of years ago, when I finally found the time and courage to watch it, thinking I was going to be disappointed, and probably bored. I was dead wrong. The film left me speechless. Its beauty, its audacity, its grandeur hit me hard. My love is gigantic for this twilit story, those humble characters, these fascinating landscapes. It was a bold move from then hot young star Costner to turn behind the camera for a 3-hour long western half spoken in Indian and dealing, through its huge scale epic, with the relationship (some might say genocide) between the white man and the Indian people, with a naturalistic and realistic eye. It will always leave me speechless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMRNmrXfivI

numbersix

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
- Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester and Douglas Rain. If there’s a film that will divide audiences for eternity, it’s this. Kubrick took a massive risk making this film. He wanted to explore not just space but narrative in ways never explored before. How on earth he got money to make this I’ll never understand. But I’m glad he was. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a like a great album: every time you experience there’s always something new to behold, to wonder about, and enjoy. It achieves this by being somewhat abstract, which is naturally a turn-off for many. But I stuck with it and felt rewarded. I’ve never watched the film and left with the same reaction or thought. But it’s not so abstract that it’s an art-installation. Rather, its theme is incredibly different and unique: evolution. Kubrick uses the dark and mysterious monolith to represent the passage of evolution to a new stage, from monkey utilising tools to humanity exploring space. However, his ultimate message seems to be that humanity must end for life to progress. Even HAL, a robot, becomes homicidal not because of who it is, but because of how humans programmed it (or him, if you want to take Kubrick’s AI into account). What an incredibly ambitious and grand theme to squeeze into a film. What a wonderful idea. And how wonderfully it is made, too. (4th appearance)

Here’s the opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML1OZCHixR0

Banks

Rear Window (1954)
- Director: Alfred Hitchcock; starring James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Raymond Burr and Thelma Ritter. Before I sat down and laid eyes on Rear Window, the oldest movie I’d ever seen was my #5 above, The Warriors from 1979 – I’d only seen bits and pieces of To Kill a Mockingbird from 1960. I’d always dismissed old movies as I didn’t think I could look past the technical restrictions. Oh, what a stupid, sad, little man I was. Watching Rear Window made me smile from ear to hear such rich dialogue being tossed around like they were nothing – nowadays we only get to witness such verbal genius in the odd Oscar-nominated film, and certainly not the wide release schlock that get forced upon us every weekend. It had a simple but strong plot – a photographer, wheelchair bound on medical leave, sees – or thinks he sees – one of his neighbors murder their wife. It presents L.B.’s boredom at first wonderfully, as he lavishes in his back and forth with the cleaning lady – something you can tell he looks forward to every day. And the fact that L.B. is so believable in his mundane routine, and then later in the grips of paranoia, sends over his girlfriend (the amazingly beautiful Grace Kelly) to check on the murder’s apartment by herself is evidence of what a great performance that James Stewart delivers. This makes Disturbia, a movie I really liked, look like Big Momma’s House 4. (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCcZCMYw38

BarcaRulz

Der Untergang (Downfall) (2004)
- Director: Oliver Hirschbiegel; starring Bruno Ganz, Alexandra Maria Lara and Ulrich Mattes. A brilliant film that works on all levels. Showing us the downfall of Nazi Germany, this film is full of tension, realism, and some brilliant acting, especially by Bruno Ganz, who is by far the most realistic Hitler I have ever seen. The film is haunting, and it shows just how bad the situation got in Germany. It really is a must-watch if you like foreign movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD1Riwv5wqw

Geezer

Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
- Director: George Lucas; starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Alec Guinness. Its freaking STAR WARS. Does anyone not love it? Never mind, if you don't, you probably shouldn't talk about it, because I'll question whether or not you have a pulse! From the opening sequence to the closing credits this film is iconic. It’s so much damn FUN. So COOL. It’s everything a little boy wants to see in one of his favorite movies, and when you connect with it at a young age like most do, it never leaves you. I'm so attached to this movie and I will be for the rest of my life, and I'm proud to say it. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxwGGZ1BXC0

leestu

Monty Python’s Life of Brian (1979)
– Director Terry Jones; starring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Michael Palin and Eric Idle. Even funnier than Holy Grail? Remarkably yes! Its religious satire is near perfection and here is a scene that displays that. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krb2OdQksMc

W

Remember the Titans (2000)
- Director: Boaz Yakin, Starring: Denzel Washington, Will Patton, Ryan Hurst, and Wood Harris. No, it's not just another sports film like someone said earlier in this countdown. It's a true story that uses the sport of (American) football to parallel the integration of public schools and the Civil Rights movement in general. It's about family, friends, race, acceptance, and overcoming blind hatred. If all you've gotten from watching this film is "football", then you're watching some other film. Basically, the season before Will Patton led a group of white kids and was very successful and the next year the school was integrated and he was removed as coach (though kept as an assistant) by the school board in hopes that Boone (Denzel's character) would fail. Things quickly become "my coach" and "your coach" between the different ethnicities, though in the long run most of them become friends.

The cast (in my eyes) is extremely good. My favorite Denzel role is probably that of coach Herman Boone. He's stern, fair, and has some of the best lines in the film. This movie wouldn't have worked with anyone else in the role. Major parts of my two of my favorite comedy series were on the team, one being Ethan Suplee (My Name is Earl) as the big lineman who "doesn't have any people" and just wants to hit some guys since he has to be in school anyway. The other is Petey (Donald Faison from Scrubs) THE running back. The two lead players (Wood Harris and Ryan Hurst both on defense for once) haven't really been in much since, but are both excellent here. Sunshine, the Californian surfer transplanted in Virginia, and Hayden Panettiere as the coach's daughter/tomboy are real gems as well. (3rd appearance)

Gettysburg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58IljPxiSxk

NSpan

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
– Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, John Rhys-Davies and Alison Doody. Too good for words? (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WRsHcJ6ycE

undeadmonkey

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
- Director: Hayao Miyazaki; starring Chieko Baishô, Takuya Kimura and Tatsuya Gashûin. Here is my second-favorite animated film, (My number one only beats this because of a nostalgia factor, not because I think it's better) Most of Miyazaki's fans see this as not quite up to par as his standards as far as his films go, but for me I think it is his best and most intriguing. At the heart of the movie, it is a love story between a young woman, who has been cursed into an old woman's body and a dark and mysterious wizard. I honestly don't know where to go beyond that, there are so many subtle parts of the story it would take a while to explain them all, also I wouldn't be the best of it right now, it's been about a year since I've seen this, (which is definitely too long). All I can really say is how I felt watching it the first time and the second and etc. I have never been so mesmerized from any movie I have ever seen, not even the top three beyond this. I watched it, seeming not to breath, (of course I did, but I wasn't thinking about it, aren't hyperboles great?) I didn't want to miss anything. I have loved the movie more with each viewing. The music and the scenery enhance every scene. It's an action movie, its fantasy, it's a love story, it's a movie about friendship and war. This movie isn't your pedestrian DreamWorks animation, there are good guys and bad guys, but then as the story unfolds, it is revealed to not be so cookie cutter, there are gray areas in every character, making them seem human. I urge everyone to go out and see this, I wont promise that you'll love it as much as me, but I will promise that you will at least like it. IF you don't, I think you might need some help. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txfrb--HxNo

JohnErle

Almost Famous (2000)
– Director: Cameron Crowe; starring Billy Crudup, Frances McDormand, Kate Hudson and Jason Lee. When I was in high school I had a hard time deciding whether to pursue music or movies as a career because I loved them both equally. I even toyed with the idea of journalism as a more practical option. And like the main character I had also skipped a few grades and was much younger than my classmates. When I saw this movie for the first time I couldn't help but feel Cameron Crowe was a kindred spirit. This is a script I wish I'd written and a life I wish I'd lived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk0XnyrENrE
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #4

Shrykespeare - The Dark Knight (2009)
Heath Ledgers performance was great and creepy like you described, but a part of the creepiness had to do with him passing away. It had an impact, it can be debated on how much of an impact, but it did have an impact. He was great though, i do admit.

silversurfer - Back To The Future (1985)
awww, it's kinda cute that all these good films from your childhood are still held in such high regard with you. and i don't mean that in a bad way, not negative at all. I can totally understand. my film coming up tomorrow is like that. As for the movie itself, i've said it before, i like them, they are fun, i just obviously don't have such high regard for them as others do

thegreenarrow - Edward Scissorhands (1990)
totally agree with everything you say. I love your descriptions of the movies you love. they are sublime. In hindsight, i wish i had put edward scissorhand higher than i did, but hey, it's still on my list.

englishozzy - Toy Story (1995)
like it, don't love it

Buscemi - Wall-E (2008)
obviously i don't think its the finest animated film ever, but i do love it, it's on my list near the top. The love and adventure in this film is just magnificent.

Geezer - Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
well im not that attached to it, but it still is fun. i think i saw it first when i was about 15 or 16. had a great time, actually haven't seen it since then, but i really do, but would like to hold out and see them on the big screen

W - Remember the Titans (2000)
i liked the movie, but i honestly remember very little of it. Just didn't think it was that memorable.

NSpan - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
wait so which one was your other favorite indiana jones. lost ark? i enjoy the movies, hope to see them again soon

Haven't Seen

some really interesting films here that i am looking forward to seeing.

transformers - Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Ron Burgundy - L.A Confidential (1997)

Chienfantome - Dances with Wolves (1990)

numbersix - 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Banks - Rear Window (1954)

leestu - Monty Python’s Life of Brian (1979) - well at least i wont have to watch it twice ;)

BarcaRulz - Der Untergang (Downfall) (2004)

JohnErle - Almost Famous (2000) - i've always been interested in this, but noone really knew much about it, good to know someone thinks it's good, will be looking forward to seeing it.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

undeadmonkey wrote:NSpan - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
wait so which one was your other favorite indiana jones. lost ark?
it goes:

Last Crusade
Raiders
Fate of Atlantis
Temple of Doom
Crystal Skull Whatever
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #4

Shrykespeare: The Dark Knight (2009) – I think all of us reacted to the news of Heath being the Joker in the same way. And we were all proved wrong. A great performance. Some say too great, as it blew away everyone else. Indeed, I feel that in this movie Batman's character is put too far into the background, more than any other Batman movie. Still, there's something fascinating about this movie. I suppose it is the Joker and the allusions to Terrorism. I think some of the direction could have been better (the fight scene with Joker) and some scenes could have been trimmed (the extradition scene, a lot of stuff with Morgan Freeman), but I respect the film and am of course going to be checking out the sequel on opening weekend.

silversurfer: Back To The Future (1985) - Damn, your Top 10 is very nostalgic. But as nostalgia goes, this is one of those films that will always be entertaining, so you're forgiven ;)

thegreenarrow: Edward Scissorhands (1990) - How many Burton films is that for you now? Obviously you're a big fan, and I suppose I was at some stage. I think from Mars Attack onwards I changed from beign wary to being weary of him. This is one of his best films, a wonderful fairy tale.

transformers: Reservoir Dogs (1992) - Great dialogue, great characters, a good story that absorbs elements of other heist movies to tell it really well.

englishozzy: Toy Story (1995) - Toy Story 2 was on TV last night, and while I only watched half of it I realsied a few things. Firstly, Toy Story 3 is very similar to the first two, and it's deifnitely my least favourite having familiarised myself with 1 and 2. And secondly it's a really good film (even though Jesse is annoying), with some great gags and a moving story. But Toy Story is still the best.

Ron Burgundy: L.A Confidential (1997) – It's good, but it's no Chinatown.

Buscemi: Wall-E (2008) - A very fine film from Pixar. I've only seen it once and I need to see it more to have a true opinion, but I do think it was good, and even if the message is a bit obvious it's worth telling the kids. Interesting that it's the only film you paid to see twice (in first-run). I'm trying to think of films I had seen more than once. I saw The Dark Knight as a preview screening and then again in the cinema. I think Kill Bill Vol 1 was the last film I paid to see twice. And before that maybe The Phantom Menace (we were trying to convince ourselves that it was actually good. It didn't work)

Chienfantome: Dances with Wolves (1990) – I think I saw it when I was about 12 and found it boring. Then I watched it again when I was 15 or so. There was something spiritual to the film. Again, maybe I was too young to appreciate it, but I do remember being surprised at seeing "th Injuns" being mroe than just the nasty villain. There's an understanding and delicacy to this film that has stuck with me for all these years. I need to watch this again badly.

Banks: Rear Window (1954) - I tried to watch Disturbia the other day and I couldn't finish it. Not when I know this film too well. An absolute masterpiece and I'll never get sick of it.

BarcaRulz: Der Untergang (Downfall) (2004) - When I first saw this I was a tad underwhelmed. Perhaps I left it thinking "so what?". But on subsequent viewings I've grown to appreciate it more. I love the performances, not just by Ganz but by everyone. Not all of the stories work, but the sense of dread as the war comes to a close, the sense of restriction and claustrophobia, and of course the last desperate attempt at national pride all come together to make this a thoroughly engaging film.

Geezer: Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) - I'm sure there's some people who don't like Star Wars. I think I met one once who said Star Wars is what killed cinema, because it made studios focus on tentpole movies more. I think that's bullcap, especially when you were seeing high-budget disaster movies make millions during the 70's. At least this had more imagination. As NSpan said earlier, this is a B-Movie in many ways, but it's one of the most enjoyable and entertaining B-movies you'll ever see.

leestu: Monty Python’s Life of Brian (1979) – Yep, I put this ahead of The Holy Grail too, mostly for the slightly better sense of story. Amazing film.

W: Remember the Titans (2000) - Meh. Haven't seen it all but it came across as predictable and heavy-handed. Maybe that's not wrong when it's an anti-racist message but ultimately it had nothing to offer me.

NSpan: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) – Yep, it's my favourite Indie Jones movie too, and my order is exactly like yours (I loved the game of The Fate of Atlantis but it's hard to compare it to a movie!). It's a brilliant story with great set-pieces, all tied together with a new element of struggling fatherhood. Love it.

undeadmonkey: Howl's Moving Castle (2004) - Haven't seen it, but I do like Ghibli so I should really check this out.

JohnErle: Almost Famous (2000) – An average film at best. It's a typical rose-tinted film from Cameron Crowe, who has only impressed me with High Fidelity (and part of me suspects it was Cusack's creative input that made that film so good). This is okay, there's some nice moments but it's all very glossy and frothy.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - I dont think there has ever been a film where the villian was more loved than the actual main character, a true testament to the talent of an actor we will never see again. #31 on my list. 8/10

Surfer - Another one of those classics that i have only watched in the past couple of years and i already have seen it at least 3 times. You are so right about it being timeless. #24 on my list. 8/10

Buscemi - I cant help but wonder if the middle stretch of this film had been on the same par as the two ends, i would of had this alot higher on my own list. #49 on my list. 8/10

NSpan - Still prefer Raiders of the Lost Ark but this would have been a fitting farewell to the franchise if they hadnt of done the Crystal Skull. 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

MOVIE #5

Shrykespeare
V For Vendetta (2005) – Well, i watched almost the whole film over the last 2 days, will be finishing it tonight, yeah its a pretty good movie. Hugo Weaving is very good so too Natalie Portman (who gives me a hard on every time), Stephen Rea and John Hurt so good to but dont variate too much from what you see them do in their first scenes; Hurt barking orders and Rea looking confused. But i should just shutup and watch the rest of the movie.

silversurfer
E.T - The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) - Only seen this once, on TV and many years ago. Sorry to say but i cant remember liking it that much. Deserves another go though.

thegreenarrow
Batman Returns (1992) - A very good movie, Keaton is excellent and Walken is great too.

transformers
The Godfather (1972) - So critically acclaimed and i can see why, Brando, Duvall, Caan and Pacino combine for a truly special movie. Probably in my top 250, but only just.

englishozzy
Braveheart (1995) - I have seen this film many times, when i was younger it i rated it quite highly. I really liked the the Gleeson-Gibson bits, they seemed to enjoy themselves quite a bit. But nowadays i think i like Rob Roy a bit more. Not bad though.

Buscemi
Memento (2001) - Obviously i love this movie, in my top 10.

Chienfantome
The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) – Cant say how much i love these movies, just an amazing adventure. I plan to watch all 3 extended versions in one go, sometime this year.

numbersix
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - Nice choice six, thee best western out there.

Banks
The Warriors (1979) - 'Warriors...come out to playay', that line i remember. Played the game on xbox with my mates quite a bit a few years ago and watched the movie after. I enjoyed this movie a fair bit and i liked James Remars character the most.

BarcaRulz
The Dark Knight (2009) - Another one that is one my list. Ledger is untoppable, and its still just so sad that he passed away in his prime. Excellent pick.

Geezer
The Boondock Saints (1999) - A pretty entertaining movie with cheesy dialogue but some kick ass action.

leestu
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) – On my list, Pythons best.

W
Saving Private Ryan (1998) - Good war movie, and i agree about the cast, from Hanks to Diesel to Giamatti, they are all terrific.

NSpan
Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) – Yeah, how can someone not like this. Grows on me every time i watch it. And i like Blue Harvest too.

undeadmonkey
Pride and Prejudice (2005) - Didnt get through the whole thing, infact i think i may have fallen asleep. Dude english is your second language? What is your first? Where are you from?

JohnErle
Edward Scissorhands (1990) - Good movie, need to see this again.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

W, that was a very well put description on Remember The Titans. Feel the same way. A film that is so much more than just football.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote: JohnErle: Almost Famous (2000) – An average film at best. It's a typical rose-tinted film from Cameron Crowe, who has only impressed me with High Fidelity (and part of me suspects it was Cusack's creative input that made that film so good). This is okay, there's some nice moments but it's all very glossy and frothy.
That was a Stephen Frears film, wasn't it? I should know, it made my top 100.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well spotted, SS, I got them mixed up. Jerry Maguire was okay but I haven't liked anything from Crowe since.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Almost Famous is the only movie of Crowe's I've liked. Though to be honest, he's not exactly been prolific with the number of movies he's directed.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

His newest film (We Bought A Zoo) will be his first in six years.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Ron Burgundy wrote: undeadmonkey
Pride and Prejudice (2005) - Didnt get through the whole thing, infact i think i may have fallen asleep. Dude english is your second language? What is your first? Where are you from?
German is my first language. Which if i try hard enough, i can still speak and understand. A dutch dialect is my second language, (we actually call it low german) i can speak that fine. and then when i was 5 we moved to texas. I still remember being put into a kindergarten class and not being able to understand a word or speak to anyone. Kindergarten up till 3rd grade, every year, they tried to put me into an ESL class but i refused to go. Which might be why i still get tongue tied sometimes and in hindsight, it would of helped me a lot probably, but i always felt inferior if i had to go to that class. so i didn't go.

I had never thought of this before now, but that might be one of the reasons for my love of film. Every friday the kindergarten classes would go to the auditorium and watch movies (wizard of oz, beauty and the beast, lion king, jungle book. all those goodies) and i remember always looking forward to friday, because even though i couldn't understand the language, i could understand what was going on emotionally and visually and eventually i could understand as well.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #4

Geezer - Star Wars - Coming up in my next three picks. (10/10)

Buscemi - Wall-E - Brilliant movie. My #21. (10/10)

silversurfer - Back to the Future - Love what you had to say about it, surf. I agree. My #74. (9/10)

Ron B - L.A. Confidendial - Glad to see this so high up on someone's list. My #94. (9/10)

leestu - Monty Python/Life of Brian - "How shall we fuck off, O Lord?" Classic. (9/10)

englishozzy - Toy Story - Obviously, this will be the #1 animated movie on our collective list. (8/10)

NSpan - Indiana Jones/Last Crusade - Too good for words? Wouldn't go THAT far... but it was good. (8/10)

transformers - Reservoir Dogs - Just saw it recently. Pretty darn good. (7/10)

numbersix - 2001: A Space Odyssey - Not bad, but I didn't care much for the last 20 minutes. (6/10)

greenarrow - Edward Scissorhands - Wow, you do love your Burton, don't you? (5/10)

For #3, still waiting on:

silversurfer
thegreenarrow
Banks
Barca
Geezer
UDM
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)