Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #9): 20-11

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #9): 20-11

Post by undeadmonkey »

numbersix wrote: undeadmonkey: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - Dude, of everyone you and I seem to have the least compatible taste in terms of films. We share the least amount of films so far, and I tend to dislike what you pick, and you the same with my films. However, I am stunned that you have this in your Top 15. It is a film that deserved far more critical praise than it received. For me, it is one of the best films of the last decade, and possibly one of the best revisionist westerns I've ever watched. It is outstanding. The characters are built and shaped slowly but perfectly. Pitt delivers a performance I never thought I had in him. It was the first (and only) time I've noticed Affleck the Younger. And Rockwell gives excellent support. The music is brilliant, the visuals are beautiful, and the final 30 minutes are deeply moving. I could have done without the leading VO, and that's the only reason it isn't higher in my Top 100 (it came in at #99). So kudos, to you, though I'll never quite get how you can put this and Mrs Congeniality so close together ;)

well, i would like to think that when i say, 'i know somewhat what constitutes quality in the art of film', i'm not too off base. I admire and respect quality work, but another reason (and more importantly) for loving a film is enjoyability. This film just happened to have both, Miss Congeniality only has one, but a great deal of it (for me anyways). So while i may only enjoy 10% of the films you pick, i respect at least 90% ;) and i can understand why you pick them. Hope that makes sense.

JohnErle wrote:Random Comments On Recent Picks:

Jesse James - Came very close to my list. I need to see it again to make sure it's list-worthy, and you definitely need to see Unforgiven.

i'll be sure to check it out once i get the chance.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

BarcaRulz wrote:I was thinking, for our collective top 10, we could do an editorial about the process and have a collective top 100 list, and then submit that link to the IMDB hit list?
Great Idea, Barca! Who wants to volunteer for this? (Honestly, I would prefer someone other than I do it unless you INSIST. But please, don't insist).

MOVIE #12

Shrykespeare

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
– Director: Frank Darabont; starring Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, William Sadler and Clancy Brown. The greatest prison movie of all time. Darabont would later make The Green Mile, another prison film, which coincidentally was ALSO adapted from a story by horror maven Stephen King. Told over a period of 19 years, Tim Robbins’ Andy Dufresne, wrongly convicted for the murder of his wife, is a monument to endurance, patience and hope. The friendship he forges with Ellis “Red” Redding (Freeman) is one of the most heartwarming and genuine movie friendships in film history, and Dufresne’s outlandish plot to escape the clutches of the greedy, opportunistic warden (Gunton) is the kind you can relive countless times and never get tired of it. Every scene, every line is like a brushstroke by a master artist, which is why you will find it on the “Best Of” lists of many, many moviegoers and critics alike. As Chien said, there’s nothing overtly groundbreaking or special about the film in itself. It’s just that good. And that’s all it needs to be. “Salvation does lie within…” (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSDBhczJMU

silversurfer

Brief Encounter (1945)
- Director: David Lean; Starring Celia Johnson, Trevor Howard and Stanley Holloway. For me this is absolutely the most heartbreaking movie I have ever witnessed. Based on the Noel Coward play, David Lean explores the thrill and pain of an illicit romance in 1945 Britain. From a chance meeting on a train platform, a middle-aged doctor (Howard) and a suburban housewife (Johnson) enter into a quiet yet passionate love affair, knowing there's no possibility for a lasting relationship. I was introduced to this by Helena very early into our relationship. Up until that point I'd been a fan of older movies, generally action and noirs, but I was a little hesitant towards a romantic movie. I'd known of Lean though, so I trusted it would at least be well made if not a little Sunday afternoon drama. It was so, so much more than that though. It blew me away. Never has a romantic drama been so exquisitely crafted, so intimate and so involving. It's such a simple concept, with little known actors and virtually no set, but it's this bare boned approach which helps the movie gain so much intensity. Although the affair lasts only a few weeks and director David Lean never shows anything more than a kiss, the power of their connection is clearly felt through the glorious black-and-white cinematography. So much that intensity is also down to the outstanding leading pair, you are truly devastated as they leave each other, and you feel the emotion in Johnson's voice as she recalls their short lived affair. Although Lean went on to bigger films like Great Expectations and Dr. Zhivago that contain their own power, he never again re-captured the simple, intoxicating essence of this film, and nor has anyone else. I know a few of you will be hesitant to watch such a movie, but I really ask you to give this a try, everything from The Wrestler to In The Mood For Love were inspired by this, the absolute pinnacle of heartbreaking cinema.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il8B6E9FzSE

thegreenarrow

Les Diaboliques (1955)
- Director: Henri-Georges Clouzot; starring Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot and Paul Meurisse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc76IXZxldI

transformers

Gladiator (2000)
- Director: Ridley Scott; starring Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielsen and Djimon Hounsou. Gladiator is spectacularly entertaining, but it's also an all-around masterpiece. The acting is superb. Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix both turn in career-best performances as Maximus and Commodus. The battle sequences are also grand and epic, every scene when they are in the arena is electrifying. Gladiator is Ridley Scott's best work to date and this is a spectacle of a film. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvTT29cavKo

englishozzy

Forrest Gump (1994)
- Director: Robert Zemeckis; starring Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise and Sally Field. Within all the mush and a meandering plot comes a film that actually makes you feel good when walking out of the cinema. Hanks does extremely well portraying a dumb but loveable character whose journey through life is something to be desired about. For all its critics I can’t help but feel people are looking too much into this film. Who cares if this wouldn't happen to a person in a million years or if the some of the story is overlong and pointless, at the end of the day it's a film that is as charming as the innocent man it is about. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdsMqRaz2WY

Ron Burgundy

The Fugitive (1993)
- Director: Andrew Davis; starring: Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, Julianne Moore, Sela Ward and Joe Pantoliano. Harrison has basically got Star Wars, Indiana Jones and The Fugitive on his resume, Air Force One was ok, and maybe a couple of others but this is his best movie I reckon. It has such a tense atmosphere with some awesome suspense, and with Tommy Lee Jones organizing the hunt it makes for a sweet game of cat and mouse. But the thing that makes this different from others fugitive movies is how Harrison Ford goes about claiming his innocence, he delves right into the place where they look for him to gather evidence for his freedom. No movie since this has brought such a intense fugitive story. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoyqZJWjOjU

Buscemi

Citizen Kane (1941)
- Director: Orson Welles; starring Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Dorothy Comingore, Everett Sloane and Agnes Moorehead. The film that created cinema as we know it today. In his directorial debut, Welles manages to create something bold and daring and gives us one of the great cinematic characters in Charles Foster Kane. The cast (consisting mostly of Welles's Mercury Theatre troupe) does an excellent job and it is somewhat surprising that most of them didn't go on to bigger and better things. Welles also manages to be an innovator with the film's narrative structure and editing techniques (the latter done by future Oscar winner Robert Wise). Though Welles didn't think it was his best film (he felt that Chimes at Midnight was his masterpiece) and he had difficulty with the production (most notably with William Randolph Hearst, whom Welles loosely based Kane off of), it is still a masterpiece of cinema and Welles's magnum opus. Compare this to a film from ten years ago and you will see that Kane has aged much, much better. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyv19bg0scg

Chienfantome

Some Like It Hot (1959)
– Director: Billy Wilder, starring Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe, Joe E. Brown and George Raft. I often mention in my commentaries where or when I first saw a film. For Some Like It Hot, I have absolutely no idea. I’ve grown up with this film, I’ve seen it all my life, and I couldn’t possibly say when or where I first watched it. But I’ve seen it, all my life, and I’ve loved it forever. It’s a 2-hour delight. The delight of hearing the dialogues of IAL Diamond, the delight of watching a trio of actors at the top of their comedic game. The delight of this dynamic ballet of humor which spawns from the very first to the very last minute. Billy Wilder was a magician that understood the necessity of a great screenplay, that knew how to direct actors and when to leave them some space. And he knew so well how to supervise it all. The laughter must come from everywhere, from the words, from the faces, from the rhythm, from the gestures. Some Like It Hot embodies this full art of comedy like no other film. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9In3apq_SSY

numbersix

8 1/2 (1963)
- Director: Federico Fellini; starring Marcello Mastroianni, Anouk Aimee, Sandra Milo and Claudia Cardinale. This is probably the only film in my Top 20 that I wasn’t sure on, so in December I spent an afternoon re-watching this film. After an excellent opening (a man stuck in traffic gains the ability to fly, soaring high in the sky, free of society and its congestion, only to be pulled down by the rope on his leg), I felt somewhat disappointed in the chaotic story of a film director facing a crisis, unsure what to do with his new movie despite everyone pushing him to plough on. But the film does two things which makes it ingenious. Firstly, it seamlessly blends Guido’s life and his fantasy world. There’s a brilliant extended sequence in which Guido is master of a house containing all the women in his life, as he tries to control them with his cracking whip (hmm.. I wonder what that represents?) and they send him into a state of regression. The entire scene is linked below. But ultimately what’s important is that this isn’t just a film about film-making (something that I’m normally wary of as it can often signal a lack of imagination) but it actually is about life. Guido is trying to make sense of his life, not just his film. But the chaos is too much, at least until he comes to the simple conclusion that his film, just like life, doesn’t have to make sense. Rather, it’s a mess, “a celebration”, and we should enjoy it while we can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWZmOkDdfAk

Banks

The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)
- Director: Gabriele Muccino; starring Will Smith, Thandie Newton and Jaden Smith. Will Smith’s best movie, and to me, his best performance to date. Deeply inspiring and moving, the ultimate true story of rags to riches as a one-time homeless man breaks his back to become a stockbroker and provide for his son. A lot of people cite the crying bathroom scene, but my favorite is Will’s inspirational speech to his son. (2nd appearance)

The most inspiring speech of all-time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yW3152Ffc

BarcaRulz

Schindler’s List (1993)
- Director: Steven Speilberg; starring Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and Ben Kingsley. One of the saddest movies I have ever seen, deeply emotional and extremely powerful. Pretty much everything about is perfect, from the fantastic directing to the superb acting, especially by Fiennes who is brilliantly creepy as a deranged Nazi. Also has what I consider the saddest film moment of all time with the girl in the red dress, such a fantastic heartbreaking scene that is so powerful yet so simple, just imagine how different that scene would be had this been a color film or had they decided to just keep the whole thing black and white. It's simple yet effective scenes like this that make Schindler’s List an amazing film. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwfIf1WMhgc

Geezer

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)
- Director: Adam McKay; starring Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, David Koechner and Christina Appelgate. One of the most quotable, laugh-out-loud funniest movies of all time. Will Ferrell in his element, creating the character we will always remember him for. Rudd, Koechner and of course Carell are all fantastic in support, each lending their own talents to each scene. I've laughed harder than I ever have while watching this movie. Its not my favorite comedy of all time, but I will say its probably the best based on sheer laughability. I quote it on an almost daily basis to this day, the mark of a truly great comedic masterpiece. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6GolC7Mk0

leestu

Once Were Warriors (1994)
– Director Lee Tamahori; starring Temuera Morrison, Rena Owen, Mamaengaroa Kerr-Bell and Julian Arahanga. A brutally powerful emotional family drama that is the best movie to come out of New Zealand until LOTR; and it hurts to say this but, better than any Australian movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NV45ZuepZo

W

Old School (2003)
- Director: Todd Phillips, Starring: Luke Wilson, Vince Vaughn and Will Ferrell. Just a hilarious film. Will Ferrell is great as Frank "The Tank" Ricard. A bunch of the pledges have some great stuff like Weencie, Spanish, and obviously Blue (he's my boy!). With lines like "Hey, you can bring your green hat!" "He looks glo-rious." and "I like you man, but you're crazy." along with some streaking and earmuffs... It's a modern comedy classic to me. (2nd appearance)

Frank the Tank (couldn't find the whole thing, but found two halves):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiPb50D9G1w&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zniDzLLhcjg

NSpan

Barry Lyndon (1975)
– Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Ryan O’Neal, Marisa Berenson and Leon Vitali. The ultimate period-piece. It's both challenging and entertaining. Hell, it's Kubrick's best work. Braveheart (a great movie, in my humble opinion) is the dumbed-down simplified-for-an-ADD-audience version of the Kubrick classic. And that's not a knock against Braveheart... it's simply testament to how great Barry Lyndon truly is. There is a scene in this movie that chokes me up every time--and that in itself is quite impressive (considering that I am the first-born of the emotionally-detached, Doom-playing "Generation Y"). Film-buffs get too hung up on the technical aspects of this movie. All that is interesting, but the story and presentation are more than enough to make it a MAJOR contender in any discussion of cinematic achievements. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHCKrusk5SQ

undeadmonkey

Man on Fire (2004)
– Director: Tony Scott; starring Denzel Washington, Christopher Walken and Dakota Fanning. I might get flamed for this pick, nevertheless, I love it and don't feel guilty about loving it. (yes, my last ‘guilty’ pleasure is in my top ten). The acting is fantastic again. Dakota Fanning and Denzel Washington have never been better. I love the story; it’s simple yet moving, I was born in Mexico and have lived there for some time. Kidnapping is not rare there and neither are corrupt cops (never mind now with the civil war going on). I found the stylistic approach of directing and cinematography interesting and refreshing. It is probably only seen as an action film, not meant for much more than that, but the morals and ideas brought forth in this film stayed with me long after finishing the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s_-O4HglGI

JohnErle

Fargo (1996)
– Directors: The Coen Brothers; starring Frances McDormand, William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi. All the black humour you'd expect from the Coens, but with a bit of extra heart. I don't think they've ever cared for one of their own characters as much as Marge Gunderson. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpdOXSEkvO8

#100 on the collective list is... still Evil Dead II, actually. That won't be the case after tomorrow.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Man On Fire is a great movie, I wouldn't consider it a guilty pleasure.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Man on Fire, for me, is just another in the long line of films where one of the best actors of our lifetime has completely wasted his talent. He's been playing (almost) the same character (a government worker of some kind whether it be police, transit authority, etc usually in supervisor-type role) for about a decade now with just a few films away from that character. All of the films with that character in it (save Inside Man) range from who cares to bad and all are pretty much middling when it comes to box office.

I wish he'd just make one huge blockbuster-type film, get paid for the next few years, and then crank out Oscar-worthy performances like he used to.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #12

Shrykespeare: The Shawshank Redemption (1994) – How many more appearance will this get. I've a sinking feeling that it may turn out to be our collective #1 at this rate. Again, I don't dislike. There's much to enjoy. I just was never inspired by it, and maybe that's the problem. It's just too solid,and never exceptional. I can't judge anyone who loves it, just part of me wishes it wasn't loved that much.

silversurfer: Brief Encounter (1945) - I can only echo SS's plea for everyone to watch this film. Especially anyone who enjoyed The Third Man and the character of Major Calloway, as Trevor Howard plays the lead here. A beautiful film that hints at everything but slows little, instead letting our imagination run wild. The In the Mood for Love comparison is spot on. I also suspect The Green Arrow will place this film on her list, only a lot higher.

thegreenarrow: Les Diaboliques (1955) - Read up about this on Wikipedia. Apparently it was originally a Hitch project that Clouzot bought the rights from, and inspired Hitch to make Psycho years later. I definitely want to see this.

transformers: Gladiator (2000) - The action was good, but everything in between didn't really work for me.

englishozzy: Forrest Gump (1994) - A nice film that has never really demanded a rewatch in years.

Ron Burgundy: The Fugitive (1993) - A very entertaining action film.

Buscemi: Citizen Kane (1941) - A excellent film, although I'd argue that M, which was made 10 years earlier, hasn't aged much either! Anyway, I'm a big fan of the Kane story, but for reasons that go beyond its technical and historical significance.

Chienfantome: Some Like It Hot (1959) – An amazing movie. I never grow tired of it, and I can't understand why it didn't make my list.

Banks: The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) - Meh. It's okay, the performances are decent but ultimately the film is simplistic, sentimental, and manipulative. That speech just soudns like the words of someone desperately trying to win an Oscar, and they don't really ring true for me.

BarcaRulz: Schindler’s List (1993) - A beautiful film about doing something in the face of unquestionable wrongdoing. Though what I liked is that Schindler doesn't stand up directly, but hides behind the face of Nazi arrogance. Of course, it's a true story, but Spielberg picked the right one to tell.

Geezer: Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) - Hey, it made me laugh consistently so I can't question it.

leestu: Once Were Warriors (1994) – Incredibly powerful stuff. If this was made about a Native American community it would have won Oscars. Great performances and a heartbreaking conclusion.

W: Old School (2003) - Haven't seen it fully to comment, though I'm not a fan of Todd Phillips in general.

NSpan: Barry Lyndon (1975) – I agree. I think anyone who puts a film on their list due to the technical aspects of a movie is in denial about how they react to movies. I don't love this film for its visuals (though it helps), but for the witty and tragic story. I'm surprised that we're the only 2 to have it on our lists. A shame.

undeadmonkey: Man on Fire (2004) – It was okay. Washington was alright and little Fanning was good. I just hated the direction. Tony Scott tends to over-direct his films, so much so that it takes me out of the experience of the story entirely. It's like Scott is shouting "Look at me and how I'm directing this scene". Hitchcock said the best directing is when you dont' notice it, and I tend to agree. So an okay film directed badly is about all I can say of this.

JohnErle: Fargo (1996) – A great, great film. Noir in the snow.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #12

Ron B - The Fugitive - Ah, my #100 film. Good choice. (9/10)

transformers - Gladiator - Excellent film, one of Crowe's best. (8/10)

UDM - Man on FIre - I quite like this film, actually. Scott/Washington are usually very good together. (8/10)

englishozzy - Forrest Gump - It was a great movie, but Hanks' affect gets annoying after too many repeat viewings. (7/10)

W - Old School - Only seen it once. It was funny, but not that memorable for me. (Except Blue, he was awesome.) (6/10)

BarcaRulz - Schindler's LIst - I should probably see this again at some point. (6/10)

JohnErle - Fargo - Not the biggest Coens fan, nor of this movie. (5/10)

Banks - The Pursuit of Happyness - It was well-acted, but I wish the "happy" ending could have lasted a little longer than thirty seconds before the credits rolled. (5/10)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, people, the end of another thread. Get your #10-#2 in to me ASAP.

Question: are we going to wait until after the Oscars to do the #1s? And are we doing one person per day, just like in the music countdown?

MOVIE #11

Shrykespeare

Unbreakable (2000)
– Director: M. Night Shyamalan; starring Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson and Robin Wright. In Unbreakable, Shyamalan successfully stripped the mythos of superheroes and comic-book lore down to its skeleton and masterfully crafted a truly stirring tale of a man’s journey of self-discovery. Willis has never been better than as David Dunn, a quiet, melancholy man trying to keep his family together while coming to grips with the fact that he is impervious to injury and illness, a fact that he’s doggedly striven to deny for decades. It takes Jackson’s eccentric comic-book store owner Elijah Price to draw that out of David, and his transformation is truly magnificent to watch. Though some call this film slow, I prefer to think of it as “patient”. Shyamalan refuses to rush through the story, and the scene where David not only realizes but embraces his true potential (in the train station) is one of my all-time favorites. The fact that the film concludes with one of Shyamalan’s patented “twist endings” is most certainly not a deal-breaker for me, either. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_f1uCWKZQs

silversurfer

Double Indemnity (1944)
- Director: Billy Wilder; starring Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson. It was the first Wilder movie I ever watched, as I gave the movie a go when I was not much older than 8 or 9, but it is still without doubt my favourite movie of his. The quintessential noir, filled with dark atmosphere and a suspenseful plot, it is a movie which burns itself onto your subconscious, it never leaves you, and it's impression is ever lasting. Told in flashback sequence, it's mesmerizing to watch as MacMurray's life unravels, as a deadly temptress in the form of Phyllis Dietrichson (Stanwyck) corrupts highly corruptible cynical insurance salesman Walter Neff (MacMurray) with the twin baubles of sex and money - a dynamic combination for a man stuck in a rut. A murder plot is hatched, a husband disposed of and all that remains is some hefty insurance to collect... But of course it's never quite that easy, is it! Dark and compelling, Wilder makes full use of light and shadow, ensuring the atmosphere is claustrophobic, while the narrative is intense, the dialogue witty, sharp and macabre, and the acting superb (no more so than Stanwyck, the perfect femme fatale). It contains every element of a classic Greek tragedy; desire, betrayal, greed, conflict, guilt and annihilation, and Wilder ensures it all comes together to create an affecting drama, one which draws you in with absurd fascination and intrigue, and leaves you drained, engulfed and stunned to the very core. It was probably my introduction to the noir genre, and while there have been some great successors to the throne, it's never been bettered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7R0BpSAXB4

thegreenarrow

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
- Director: Guillermo Del Toro; starring Ivana Baquero, Arianda Gil and Sergi Lopez. A fantastical interpretation of the old Alice In Wonderland concept, in which Del Toro blends horrors of fantasy and reality into an extraordinary, spellbinding fable. After already being fans of Del Toro's earlier works, we found ourselves watching this twice in the cinema, such was it's visual and narrative genius, in which you are never quite sure what is the truth behind the story, and whether fantasy or reality is more ferocious. It has so many classic scenes, be it the man with eyes in his hands scene (shown below), the suspense of pretty much any scene involving the stern and terrifying Sergi Lopez, the devastating and crushing root baby scene, or that most memorable finale. Imaginative and inventive, this concept could only come from a mastermind such as Del Toro, he truly is the master of fantasy, with a brilliant eye for visuals which ably complement his wildly vivid stories. As a fan of the fantasy genre on the whole I couldn't hope for anything more than this, and it has held up equally well on numerous repeat viewings. (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9YD2PFF31E

transformers

The Matrix (1999)
- Director: Andy and Larry Wachowski; starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne. Carrie-Ann Moss and Hugo Weaving. The Matrix was a groundbreaking film. It's one of the few films in my lifetime that has redefined a genre, The Matrix innovated the sci-fi/action genre and was a complete game changer. The action scenes are a thing of beauty and the effects are extremely well done. The story is fascinating and hooks you in from the beginning. One of the most original films I have ever seen and it's too bad the underwhelming sequels somewhat tarnished the reputation of this film. (8th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM5yepZ21pI

englishozzy

Casino Royale (2006)
- Director: Martin Campbell; starring Daniel Craig, Eva Green, Mads Mikkelsen and Judi Dench. Growing up in England you are grown up on Bond, with the early Sean Connery films drilled into me at an early age. Never has there been an action franchise quite like this one. The love of which exotic locale Bond is going to wind up in drew me to every new film. Like most people I felt the series started to lose its way in the Roger Moore era and although Brosnan gave it a good crack was never quite the same as the first few films. Along comes Craig and in one fell swoop managed to bring more things to the table in one film that many actors before him have tried in multiple reprises. From the opening black and white pre-credit sequence to the exhilarating parkour chase scene, Bond was back and mixing it up again with the likes of the recent successful Bourne series. Of course, Connery will always be my favorite Bond but Casino Royale is easily my favorite Bond movie. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl5WHj0bZ2Q

Ron Burgundy

Predator(1987)
- Director: John McTiernan; starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sonny Landham, Bill Duke, Jesse Ventura and Carl Weathers. My favourite 80’s action movie, with the great Arnold leading a team of hard core recon units who get tangled in an all-out battle of pure testosterone. This is just a ridiculously macho movie that has some great one-liners and some awesome action, and the extra-terrestrial villain is pretty much unstoppable too, which always makes the movie much more interesting. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-d8-t3W6Ac

Buscemi

The Usual Suspects (1995)
- Director: Bryan Singer; starring Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Benicio del Toro, Kevin Pollak, Stephen Baldwin and Pete Postlethwaite. As you may have seen on the countdown, I am a sucker for the suspense genre. This film is no exception. Bryan Singer, Christopher McQuarrie and Kevin Spacey (the former two for Best Original Screenplay, the latter for Best Supporting Actor) all got well-deserved Oscars for their work on this film that keeps you guessing until the very end (and even then you'll still be surprised). Singer's direction (in just his second film) is top-notch and a definite sign of things to come while the Oscar-winning screenplay is filled with great lines and an excellent plot unfolding over the mystery of Keyser Soze. The cast is among one of the best ensemble casts I've ever seen in film but Spacey's performance as disabled thief Verbal Kint is what really shines. It's no surprise that he won an Oscar for his work. Singer also manages excellent performances from the rest of the cast (even Stephen Baldwin!). In another case of Oscar snubs, the fact that this wasn't nominated for Best Picture is one of the most unforgivable in its long history. Fantastic film. (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MjV4EwR7Mg

Chienfantome

Memories of Murder (2003)
– Director: Bong Joon-Ho, starring Song Kang-Ho, Kim Sang-Kyung and Kim Roe-Ha. At the doors of my Top 10 comes the greatest detective film ever made. One more viewing, and it might very well find a spot in the Top 10. This is a true story. The story of serial murders in Korea during the 1980’s. It is the story of a bunch of policemen in a small town who don’t know how to deal with such a case. They shout, they bark, they conduct interrogatories, they beat up suspects, they arrest them. Yet the murders keep happening. They are lost but they have no choice but to keep on moving. It’s the second film from Bong Joon-Ho, the greatest Korean filmmaker working today, one of the greatest filmmakers working, period. His serial killer movie is not just a fascinating, gripping and suspenseful detective movie. It’s also, as always with Bong, a clever and inspired metaphor of history, and society. In this case, through this murder case, the director depicts a portrait of the repression era that were the 80’s in South Korea. I already regret to not have included it in my Top 10… The final scene of the film has got to be one of the greatest ending sequences ever. The last shot. Oh my God that last shot. Song Kang-Ho probably is my favourite actor these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtOutxGJK5o

numbersix

Citizen Kane (1941)
- Director: Orson Welles; starring Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton, Dorothy Comingore and William Alland. Yet another example of a classic deserving its critical status. But there’s a misconception about Citizen Kane that I always try to address. Most of us know that Kane was a box-office failure and critically hated, but over the years it was regarded as pure cinematic genius. However, when this issue comes to the fore it’s very easy to say that the film was good because of its technical achievements (its strange framing and its expressionist use of colour and shading, its narrative structure, etc). And indeed looking back through the years of cinema Kane had a huge impact on how films were made subsequently, from noir to Hitchcock to Kubrick to the mainstream. But, for me historical significance is not enough to make a great film, and I imagine Orson Welles felt the same, despite his appetite for experimenting with visual storytelling. Why it’s in my Top 11 films is because it’s an excellent story told perfectly. It’s a deeply sad story about power, privilege, and fortune. It’s about a boy who is ripped from the simplicity of a childhood and uses his money to create a world in which he demands respect, and even love (just think of the troupe of dancing girls singing his name). But his demands don’t work, and when he enters relationships not only does it affect his personal life, but his whole (corrupt) empire too, until both become hollow shells. Its retrospective structure merely heightens the drama by distancing us from the subject (a wise move, it’s hard for a general audience to get inside the head of a mogul) and creating a fascinating mystery about the fall of someone great, by means that are small and simple. And all we’re left with is a mysterious word, a word no one figures out but all it does it represent a craving for the return to innocence. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzhb3U2cONs

Banks

Requiem for a Dream (2000)
- Director: Darren Aronofsky; starring Jared Leto, Ellen Burstyn, Jennifer Connolly and Marlon Wayans. Probably the most haunting and disturbing film that I’ve ever seen, it’s a real commentary on how people live. Ellen Burstyn specifically is the heart of the film and her arc throughout is realistic and heartbreaking, especially during the last montage of the film. The movie is not about drugs so much as it about the horrors of addiction, and that’s something everyone can relate to. Beautiful film, although at times it feels like the exact opposite of beautiful. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3OK0KgXjmk

BarcaRulz

American History X (1998)
- Director: Tony Kaye; starring Edward Norton, Edward Furlong and Beverly D'Angelo. A stunning film that shows, just like La Haine did previously in my countdown, how hate can eat at a person’s soul and change them for the worse. I think the transition Norton’s character goes through tries to prove that by changing just one thing about him, he became a better person for it, and he then tried to pass that on to people he had previously misled. Superb acting by Norton, who is probably my favorite actor because of his talent. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXaZENPQrsw

Geezer

The Matrix (1999)
- Director: The Wachowski Brothers; starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Hugo Weaving and Carrie-Anne Moss. Is there anything left to say? It’s a film that completely revolutionized its genre. A total game-changer. A film that is the epitome of cool. A film that makes you think, a film that keeps you on the edge of your seat, a film that simply does everything right. It’s the first DVD I ever bought, and I'm proud to say it. If this winds up our number one film, I'll be pleased with the choice. (9th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21WuaFlyJT0

leestu

Shichinin no Samurai (aka Seven Samurai) (1954)
– Director Akira Kurosawa; starring Toshirô Mifune, Takashi Shimura and Keiko Tsushima. Masterful cinematic story telling from Kurosawa. Full of great characters and performances, and the scenes from the battles while defending the village are so well choreographed/planned out and filmed. And to those who won’t watch foreign movies – give this a try sometime and don’t be put off by the running time. If my kids, who were pre-teenage at the time, can watch it and not get bored or lose interest than surely you can? Okay they might not have understood everything, but hey, I probably haven’t yet either, but they were definitely entertained. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqQXC8Tv8U

W

28 Days Later... (2002)
- Director: Danny Boyle, Starring: Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, and Christopher Eccleston. Danny Boyle can certainly make a zombie film. This one is little different than traditional zombie films as they run full-speed and the normies' tactics have to change. I really think that helps define the style of the film. By that, I mean it's like a zombie film on speed. It's like a pure adrenaline action film mixed with the situational-drama horror that is a zombie film. I really like that you know exactly why everything is happening (thought it wouldn't have been a deal-breaker) as well as the main character's set-up. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nA1sF15ygc

NSpan

Pulp Fiction (1994)
– Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Bruce Willis, John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman and Ving Rhames. "Game-changer" is a term that gets tossed around a lot nowadays. But NOBODY can dispute that the term applies here. I've read professional reviews that say, during the editing process, QT might as well have cut the film into pieces, thrown them in a random pile, and glued them back together at random. Well... I have a huge problem with that theory. The arrangement of scenes is exactly what makes this movie so special. The three (or four) stories it covers would all make intriguing short-films, but the intertwined placement of the segments works perfectly. Editing MAKES the movie here. Vincent Vega dying in the bathroom would've been a pretty underwhelming ending... but Vincent and Jules tucking their pistols into the elastic-bands of their tacky shorts as they strut out of the diner to the sounds of classic surf-rock is absolutely PERFECT. The only flaw in this film is QT casting himself... but, shit, I can overlook it. (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDbSbOsoRnY

undeadmonkey

House of Flying Daggers (Shia mian mai fu) (2004)
- Director: Yimou Zhang; starring Ziyi Zhang, Takeshi Kaneshiro and Andy Lau. I admit I haven’t seen many of Zhang’s films, but from the few I have seen, this is my favorite. While I think Hero is great, I find this film perfect. The plot revolves around the mysterious House of Flying Daggers, a group of assassins leading a rebellion against the corrupt leaders of their land. A local police captain finds out that a blind dancer in a brothel could lead them to the rebels, so he has one of his men go undercover to break out the dancer from prison when he arrested her and follow her to the assassin group. (got the description mainly from IMDb) Yet there is so much more going on underneath, so to speak. I would put this film in the fantasy genre (along with hero and curse of the golden flower) so I find it a bit ridiculous when people start complaining about logic, and when in this movie the fantasy is turned up a bit at the end, I love it. Along with Hero, I have never seen such beauty in a live action film before. The visuals are stunning. I could watch it on mute and be just as mesmerized. The story is great however too and I have seen it numerous times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLkedDMb8vI

JohnErle

Alien (1979)
– Director: Ridley Scott; starring Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt and Harry Dean Stanton. The greatest movie monster ever, and the best script Ridley Scott ever got his hands on. Having the hunky captain die unexpectedly leaving Ripley as the lone survivor was a bold move in 1979. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojhGdRSkiUw

#100 is now Beetlejuice.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #11

Shrykespeare: Unbreakable (2000) – I suppose if I had to pick one M Night film as his best, this would be it. But that's not saying much. For me, it's not that it's slow, it's that it's slow because it's rather insubstantial, and for me it just doesn't have enough to be a feature-length film.

silversurfer: Double Indemnity (1944) - I'm a big Billy Wilder fan, and I certainly think this is a great film, and also one of the best noirs. Brilliantly shot with a fascinating plot. Ed G Robinson provides great support. However, going back to our debate between this and Sunset Blvd, you said that the latter has cliches, but for me it's Double Indemnity that's full of them. It pretty much has every noir cliche you can imagine, only forunately it's done well. Except for the femme fatale. It's quite hard in this day and age to appreciat a manipulative, evil woman who sells sexuality and lives entirely on the surface. At least the Norma Desmond character has a context to her actions ;)

thegreenarrow: Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - I've only seen this once, and that may be the reason why it isn't in my Top 100. A beautiful fantasy. Glad to see it get so much love.

transformers and Geezer: The Matrix (1999) - No surprise to see both of you pick it! Funny that you both call it a game-changer, especially in relation to NSpan's note on Pulp Fiction. For me, I don't see how The Matrix changed the "game". What exactly did it do? Bullet Time is now passe, and the only films I felt The Matrix directly influences are Equilibrium and V for Vendetta. Anyway, it's hardly that important. Ultimately, it was a good idea with some good sequences let down by some bad performances and a pretentious script.

englishozzy: Casino Royale (2006) - I feel the Roger Moore era was the most fitting, as it brought Bond to its silly, camp conclusion. Austin Powers even took it a step further. Dalton's darkness didn't impress, and Brosnan was a bore. I didn't bother checking this out in the cinemas but when I finally saw it I was mildly surprised. Craig was good, and the opening sequence was great. Still, the villain was forgettable (I don't remember a thing about him besides he played poker) and now that the origin story is told, I've no desire to watch any of the sequels. And from the general reaction to The Quantum of Solace, I'm better off.

Ron Burgundy: Predator(1987) - Very entertaining action flick.

Buscemi: The Usual Suspects (1995) - Another very entertaining action flick. Not sure if it deserves Oscars (especially when up against the likes of Secrets and Lies and Fargo) but I enjoy it every time I watch it.

Chienfantome: Memories of Murder (2003) – Didn't know until recently that the director of The Host had earlier films. Sounds fascinating, and considering I love The Host and like Mother, this is certainly on my Must See list.

Banks: Requiem for a Dream (2000) - A lot of my friends hate it because of it's extreme, if not ridiculous, conclusion. But it is supposed to be a nightmare, and in that sense it's effective.

BarcaRulz: American History X (1998) - MY problem is I didn't think the transition worked. The film makes it out that if a racist actually talked to a black person he'd stop being a racist, and we all know that it's far more complicated than that. The film is simplistic and an example of wishful thinking, and Norton is really the only thing worth noting about it.

leestu: Shichinin no Samurai (aka Seven Samurai) (1954) – On my To See list, on my To See list.

W: 28 Days Later... (2002) - Great film. Starts off excellent but becomes a lot deeper once the group of "soldiers" come into the story.

NSpan: Pulp Fiction (1994) – Astounding piece of cinema. Hard to flaw it in any way.

undeadmonkey: House of Flying Daggers (Shia mian mai fu) (2004) - While it is fantasy and there is a suspension of disbelief, there is a difference between fantasy and plot holes, and this film has them. When characters pretend to be enemies and fight without anyone around even though they're actually lover, you really have to question if the director is really making a film for the story, or just for the visuals. For me, Hero was way better, and Crouching Tiger stands tall above them both.

JohnErle: Alien (1979) – Terrifying stuff and brilliantly directed. I've said it several times before but Scott's decision to have characters talk over each other adds a dimension of realism that makes the proposition of that alien all the more scary.

As for your question Shrykester, I don't see a point in allowing the Oscars to affect this thread. Screw em, I couldn't care less whether The Social Network or The King's Speech wins, as they're both dull. But I do like the idea that we get an individual post for each of our No. 1 films, just like the song thread.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Actually Six, The Usual Suspects would have faced Braveheart had it been nominated.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ah, good point. Not a great year for cinema that year, so it did deserve an Oscar nom.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - The Shawshank Redemption
Given I listed it only a few days ago, you exactly know how I feel about this film, and you even quote me, thanks for the honour ;)

Surfer - Brief Encounter
A film I have desired to see for a long time, but still haven't. As a true admirer of In the mood for love, even more so !

Greenarrow - Les Diaboliques
Ooooh, interesting choice, arrow. A true french classic. I have seen it a loooong time ago. But far too long ago to really know how I feel about it.

transformers - Gladiator
A watchable epic in theater, but one I don't have to desire to watch on tv. Phoenix was excellent in it, and the first act of the film is quite good.

Ozzy - Forrest Gump
A very nice I have watched many times in the 90's. The character is great, so is Hanks playing him. With time, I don't love it as much as I used to, but I still enjoy it very much.

Ron B - The Fugitive
A solid film. I caught it on tv again a couple of months ago, and it's an easy watch. Nothing exceptionnal, nothing GREAT. But an easy watch.

Buscemi - Citizen Kane
I finally saw it for the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago. At last. And it's every bit as great as everyone raves about, yes. What an immense film for a young man who had never made movies before.

SIx - 8 1/2
I've seen very few films of Fellini, as the very few I have seen never really caught me. I haven't seen 8 1/2.

Banks - The Pursuit of Happyness
Beurk, as we say in French. This is exactly the kind of Hollywood film I dislike. It feels forced, unnatural despite its 'true story", with way too much pathos. Beurk.

Barca - Schindler's list
A great, great film from Spielberg. One of the most powerful film there is about the Holocaust.

Geezer - Anchorman
It's way too high in a Top for me, but it's still a damn funny comedy with great characters and great dialogues.

leestu - Once we were warriors
Unfortunately I've never seen it. But it's one I am very interested about.

W - Old school
Like Anchorman, it seems too high in a Top of rmy own taste, but hey, it's a film I do no get tired of laughing with, so after all...

NSpan - Barry Lyndon
Damn, I really need to catch this one. 2011 will be a year dedicated to Kubrick in France, with an exhibition at the French Cinémathèque, a restrospective of his films, and a re-release of all his films in theaters. So I'm pretty sure I'll be able to watch it in theater this year :)

UDM - Man on Fire
There are films of Tony Scott that are watchable, films unwatchable, and films that could be watchable if Scott got rid of his unnerving visual style. I hate Man on Fire's visual style, it ruins the film for me.

Erle - Fargo
My second favourite Coen film after The big Lebowski. A great noir.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Unbreakable
Did you know, Shryke, that Les Cahiers du Cinéma, french famous film magazine, consider Shyamalan to be one of the 2 or 3 most interesting american directors working today ? Yes they do. I find it much exagerated myself, but Les Cahiers is a strange magazine ! Anyway, it's a good Shyamalan, but I have rewatched it recently on TV, and I was a bit disappointed by it. My memories of it were better.

Surfer - Double indemnity
I don't think I've ever seen Double Indemnity. I've been close to seeing it several times, but each time something went wrong. Hopefully, I'll finally be able to see it.

Greenarrow - Pan's Labyrinth
Like Six, it's a film I haven't seen since theater, but would have possibly considered had I seen it one more time. Fantastic movie.

Transformers & Geezer - The Matrix
Nice synchronization, guys ;) A great film I listed earlier. I wouldn't say it's a film that had a lasting impact on what was to be made in cinema after, but it certainly is a unique and fascinating one.

Ozzy - Casino Royale
One of the very best Bond films made, if not the best. Very different, but with such a raw energy thanks to Craig and some excellent action sequences. I love the precredits sequence.

Ron B - Predator
Like I said recently, I'm not a fan. It kind of bored me.

Buscemi - The Usual Suspects
1995 sure was an awfully weak year for pictures, and the fact this wasn't nominated for best picture, while "Babe" was, is unbelievable. SO was the absence of Seven, Twelve Monkeys or The Bridges of Madison County. In fact 1995 wasn't such a weak year, it's just the Academy that went nuts.

Six - Citizen Kane
Like I said for Buscemi's pick in round 13, I have finally seen it only a few days ago, and it was brilliant. I'm glad I waited to discover it on a big screen. Such an amazing film for a yound director, such a modern film for its time.

Banks - Requiem for a dream
A powerful and painful film that really has a lasting impact on the viewer. Crazy film. I've loved it, but haven't reached for it a second time.

Barca - American History X
I much prefer La Haine... A much more powerful, meaningful and well crafted film. I still find American History X powerful, but in a much easier way.

Leestu - Seven Samurai
One Kurosawa film I've never managed to see. Yet.

W - 28 days later
Good film from Boyle, quite intense in fact, but I've seen better in the genre, and better from him.

NSpan - Pulp Fiction
You are damn right, NSpan. I think the editing of Pulp Fiction is meticulous and extremely important. It definitely is a part of what makes it such an immense film.

UDM - House of flying daggers
This is part of Zhang Yimou's second life as a director, when he reinvented himself with the wu xia pian genre, and I must say I like this, and Hero, very much. But his best still is "Raise the Red lantern", which I picked a few weeks ago in my Top ;)

Erle - Alien
Ridley Scott has never been better than with his first three films, Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner. Such a waste of talent. Alien is an amazing sci-fi/horror film. So minimalist, so dark, so scary.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I forgot to answer your question, Shryke.
I don't think we should wait for the Oscars, and I have no objection to a one-film-per-day announcement for the #1s.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #11

Buscemi - The Usual Suspects - Still to come on my list. (10/10)

Ron B - Predator - My #14. Glad to see someone else loves it as much as me. (10/10)

transformers/Geezer - The Matrix - My #27. This just might be the #1 overall film, but I won't swear to it yet, as there will be a few that will appear no fewer that 10 times total. (10/10)

englishozzy - Casino Royale - Loved the story, loved the poker aspect, loved Craig. What a pity QoS sucked balls. (9/10)

NSpan - Pulp Fiction - This would probably make my 101-200 if we were doing that. (8/10)

W - 28 Days Later... - As would this one. (8/10)

JohnErle - Alien - And this one too. (8/10)

thegreenarrow - Pan's Labyrinth - Just can't share the love for this one. (6/10)

UDM - House of Flying Daggers - After Crouching Tiger and Hero, this film did nothing for me at all. (4/10)

Still need #10 from the following people:

surfer
greenarrow
Ron B
Six
Banks
Geezer
W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Chien, I feel that Babe was deserving of its Best Picture nomination. Sometimes I enjoy it when a little film that isn't Oscar bait or a major box office hit (it was a children's film that opened in August and placed third at its highest box office position) manages to break out and get people to see it. It's basically the little film that could. Also, it's got a cute little pig as the main character.

Now Il Postino, that didn't deserve a Best Picture nomination (I found it quite boring actually).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr