Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #9): 20-11

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #9): 20-11

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #20

Shrykespeare

Ghost Busters (1984)
– Director: Ivan Reitman; starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver. And just like that, another William Atherton movie as well! One of the defining movies of the 80’s, it still stands out as one of the coolest, spookiest sci-fi comedies ever conceived. Murray and Aykroyd (Ramis too) are dynamite together, the effects were terrific for the time, and the soundtrack was perfect. Twenty-seven years later, it’s still cool, it’s still slick, the flowers are still standing! (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyRqR56aCKc

silversurfer

An American Werewolf in London (1981)
- Director: John Landis; starring David Naughton, Jenny Agutter and Griffin Dunne. Whatever happened to Landis? The man who created Trading Places, The Blues Brothers and this brilliant take on the werewolf genre are some of the best movies of the 80s, but then he just disappeared. An American Werewolf In London has achieved a bit of a cult status in the UK now, with it's influence still felt today in the works of Edgar Wright in particular. But when it was released in 1981, no doubt it completely changed the landscape of horror movies and the werewolf genre in particular. Not since the original Wolf Man had there been anything so vividly scary. Landis vision, married with Rick Baker's creature design, produced a truly terrifying horror flick, and one which still shocks even today (knowing this was coming up I just had to watch it the other night again, and those transformation scenes are still to be bettered). I remember the first time I watched the movie, I must have been 9 or 10, and that opening sequence at The Slaughtered Lamb, with the grumpy, mysterious farmers ("You made me miss!") delivering their warnings before the two Americans walk off to their fate was truly a mental scar. I had nightmares for night after night with that scene flashing through my head. But what makes the movie brilliant is how the horror was so well complemented by the comedy, and most notably by the comedic genius that is Griffin Dunne. Line after line of iconic funniness, and his return as the decomposing Jack is brilliant. How Landis blends the two genres together is magical, and I doubt it will ever be topped. On a side note it was also refreshing, being a Brit, to see an American movie set in the UK that actually felt like it was representative of our country. So many times we have the postcard shots of London with the Beefeaters etc, but this felt like the real England, the Yorkshire Moors were real, the people were real, heck, the tv channels (all 3 of them!) represented England, and it was great to see that Landis had taken the effort to create that. Anyway, anyone interested in finding out where Edgar Wright's influences came from, look no further than here, and beyond that, stick to the path, and don't veer onto the Moors! (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESh4t57L4Xs

thegreenarrow

The Big Lebowski (1996)
- Directors Joel And Ethan Coen; starring Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, John Turturro and Julianne Moore. My second favourite Coen Brothers movie, The Big Lebowski is such a funny movie. The characters are so iconic, be it The Dude, Donnie, Jesus or Walter, they are all so completely different and the actors who play them suit the roles so perfectly. I absolutely couldn't imagine any other actors playing them. Goodman in particular is brilliant, with his antagonistic, aggressive but loyal performance stealing every scene. I love the scene where he brings his little dog to the bowling competition, and when The Dude asks what he brought it for he is quick to respond: "Well he's not going to play!". Ahh, hilarious. And I love all the intricacies of each character, notably The Dude obsession with white russians and his rug. While completely different to most of their work up until then, playing much more with comedy that ever before, it just works so well, and it just keeps getting better with every viewing. (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHuyjYJCCOA

transformers

Knocked Up(2007)
- Director: Judd Apatow; starring Seth Rogen,Katherine Heigl, Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel and Leslie Mann. Knocked Up is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. What makes even more special is how deep the characters and how heartfelt the script is. Judd Apatow is one of the very few people that can blend a big heart and big laughs in the same films. The cast is fantastic, every scene where Seth Rogen and his friends are talking are hysterical. Another brilliant aspect is how miserable and honest Paul Rudd's character is. He delivers some of the biggest laughs of the entire film. One of the best comedies ever made. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4L6c6-WlaE

englishozzy

- Director: James Cameron; starring Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, Zoe Saldana and Stephen Lang. The most successful film of all time turns out to be really good. The 14 year brain-child of blockbuster genius James Cameron immerses you into a world that blows you away. This game-changer introduces us to motion picture with which the likes of Robert Zemeckis has been trying to show us for years but
uses new technology behind the scenes to create a near perfect world where you actually believe you are involved in when wrapping the 3D glasses around your head. Yet to see it on a 2D scale, so not sure how this film will hold up on the storyline alone. Still deserves to be in my Top 20 on the experience alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHsVbptb1RU

Ron Burgundy

Seven Samurai (1954)
- Director: Akira Kurosawa; starring Toshirô Mifune, Takashi Shimura and Keiko Tsushima.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqQXC8Tv8U

Buscemi

Requiem for a Dream (2000)
- Director: Darren Aronofsky; starring Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, Marlon Wayans and Christopher McDonald. Darren Aronofsky's adaptation of Hubert Selby Jr.'s novel of the same name depicts drug addiction like no other film has done before or since. The film focuses around four characters (a heroin dealer, his diet pill-popping mother, his coke-addicted girlfriend and his best friend/business partner) as their lives manage to enter a slow and maddening descent in Hell due to drug addiction. Aronofsky's manic and surreal direction manages to create the drug trip from Hell as he powerfully depicts why drugs are bad. The acting in this is great. Ellen Burstyn deserved to win an Oscar (she lost to Julia Roberts) as the mother who loses her sanity getting addicted to diet pills while preparing to appear on her favorite TV show. Leto, Connelly and Wayans also do great jobs on screen. The film's imagery is powerful and unforgettable. Despite the film's NC-17 rating (due to a scene near the end involving Connelly's character hitting rock bottom), this film should be shown to junior high and high school students to show the dangers of addiction. This film may have a stock message, but it's never been handled so well. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgo3Hb5vWLE

Chienfantome

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
– Director: Wes Anderson; starring Gene Hackman, Ben Stiller, Anjelica Huston, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Gwyneth Paltrow and Bill Murray. This is a film that did not become one of my favorites right away. Well, it only took me a second viewing to believe it was one of the best. I guess it’s pretty quick too. What makes this film so brilliant? If you take a quick look at it, you might just take it for a good family dramedy. Yet it’s not. It’s an immense film. Why’s that? I’m writing this as it comes, I don’t even know if I have an answer to that question. Is it the love of Wes Anderson for his characters, which transpires from the screen? Is it the writing, which perfectly mixes the smart and the absurd, to form a style that most definitely belongs to Anderson? Is it New York, a city that has rarely been so well filmed? Is it the bitterness hiding behind the fun? Or the fun hiding behind the bitterness? Is it that strange look on family that seems as much real as it is surreal ? Is it Gene Hackman, and Anjelica Huston, and Bill Murray? Is it Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, the Wilson Brothers, the four of which have never been greater actors than in this film? Maybe it’s just that colorblind Dudley. It certainly is all of that. All of which makes The Royal Tenenbaums a funny sad film. A marvelous one. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMfV72q40U

numbersix

The Godfather (1972)
- Director: Francis Ford Coppola; starring Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, James Caan and Diane Keaton. Further proof that sometimes the award winners are justified. I’m surprised by the general lack of love for this film on these forums. For me, it’s a beautiful film. Again, Coppola reigns in the visual tricks (most of the film is just a camera on a tripod) and lets the supreme cast (4 of them are Oscar winners) tell the story. There’s no need to bother summarizing the plot as we all know it, even those who haven’t seen it. For me it’s a story about ideal, the American Dream, etc, and the tragedy of their failure. Michael is desperate to separate himself from the operations of his father and his brothers. And while family ties can bring us together they can also be the origin of our downfall. Michael’s dedication to his father prompts the catalyst for what essentially becomes a guilt-ridden reign. The irony is that Michael ultimately betrays his father by buying into the drug scene. And even when Michael attempts to find something pure as he starts his descent by hiding out in Sicily, tragedy strikes once more. The montage at the end is a magnificent moment of cinema, an array of bloodshed to show us exactly how far Michael has descended. Like it or not, every other crime film since has owed something to The Godfather. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kTQFyMRSXk

Banks

American Beauty (2000)
- Director: Sam Mendes; starring Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Chris Cooper, Mena Suvari and Thora Birch. Look closer. A superb film that peeks behind the curtain of American suburbs, giving us a look at the unimaginable lives of people who sometimes let their façade seep into their real life. It’s filled with a handful of great performances, ranging from Kevin Spacey in a hilarious mid-life crisis, Thora Birch’s tortured teen, Annette Bening’s matriarch who struggles to keep up appearances, and Wes Bentley’s weird neighbor who is the catalyst for most of the film. Good ending too. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q3ltyPJJMQ

BarcaRulz

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
- Director: Robert Mulligan; starring Gregory Peck, John Megna, Frank Overton and Mary Badham. Another one of my favorite books turns into a top 100 pick with a fantastic adaptation that did it justice. Peck was immense as Atticus Finch, and just the battle between right and wrong is so captivating throughout. While it has dated a little bit in terms of production, the class this film has is permanent, and its lessons are still extremely relevant, which makes it a true classic. (4th appearance)

Trailer, with an intro by Peck himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi88P7KfaMA

Geezer

The Goonies (1985)
- Director: Richard Donner; starring Sean Astin, Josh Brolin, Jeff Cohen, Corey Feldman and Jonathan Ke Quan. An iconic adventure movie from the 80s that holds up to every generation. Fantastic characters, especially Chunk, Data and Mouth (gotta love that Corey Feldman!) who fill the film with comedy. And of course the bandits known as the Fratellis. I've been watching it since I was a little kid and its just one of those movies that, at least in my neighborhood, you weren't cool unless you've seen The Goonies. One of the greatest adventure and family films of all time. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rCxMe-z-d4

leestu

Stand By Me (1986)
- Director Rob Reiner; starring Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry O’Connell and Keifer Sutherland. Stephen King knows how to tell a story that his constant readers can relate to. For various reasons they don’t always make great movies but when they do they are something special. This is the third of four movies based on a Stephen King story on my list and it’s probably fairly obvious which one is still to come. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVnfaA-kpI

W

Schindler's List (1993)
- Director: Steven Spielberg; starring Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes. This is one of the most realistic depictions of WWII from the Jewish/German perspective. It debunks the myth that all Germans hated Jews and wanted them exterminated by telling the true (in a film sense) story of Nazi businessman Oskar Schindler who hires Jews for his factory and then goes into bankruptcy by hiring as many as he can, saving them in the process. For me, the best character was my number one most evil screen performance of all time, Ralph Fiennes' Amon Goeth; the prison guard at the concentration camp. Goeth is worse than any Freddy Kruger, Darth Vader, Hannibal Lecter, or any other villain out there because he's basically a real person. The scene I wanted to show is what I consider the most evil in cinema where Goeth wakes up and does his morning routine which consists of bathroom, looking in the mirror, ordering coffee, stretching and shooting Jewish prisoners from his balcony. I can't find it, so here's the trailer: (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAH3RTRlCHY

NSpan

Beetlejuice (1988)
– Director: Tim Burton; starring Michael Keaton, Geena Davis, Alec Baldwin and Winona Ryder. I hate Tim Burton. Why then, you might ask, are three of his movies listed amongst my all-time "favorites"?? Well... I don't have an easy answer for that. Ed Wood, Beetlejuice, and (to a SLIGHTLY lesser extent) Pee-Wee's Big Adventure are true cinematic achievements. My only explanation for the flat-lining of his career is what success can do to a person. He maintained a strong decade's worth of output. But the praise he received during that time must've been mind-boggling. How do you cope with being called a genius? How do you try and one-up your own masterpiece? Burton eventually became an inadvertent mockery of himself. "Strange, cool, weird, creepy" are all words used to describe his style. But, in the early days, these descriptives were the RESULT of inspired ideas. Nowadays, I think Burton STARTS with those words in mind, and attempts to work backwards from there. It just doesn't come together that way. And his fascination with Johnny Depp has become just a bit TOO public for my tastes. Okay, so back to Beetlejuice. What a *unique* movie! I saw this in the theater and, even as a six-year old, I loved it. Sure, I didn't get all of the jokes... but the aesthetics drew me in and the characters kept me riveted. I thought the exorcism scene (where the Maitlands shrivel into dust) and the "Netherworld Minister" were a bit frightening, but I didn't come out of the movie feeling disturbed. Burton managed to create a truly strange world that wasn't off-putting. It was FUN. It's a shame Burton hasn't recaptured that magic in recent years. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmiA7gGnvY

undeadmonkey

La Vita è Bella (1997)
– Director: Roberto Benigni, Stars: Roberto Benigni, Nicoletta Braschi and Giorgio Cantarini. The first line of the movie says it all ‘This is a simple story... but not an easy one to tell.’ Very true that is. It’s a movie about a father trying to hide the horror and danger of WWII from his son. The brutality and sadness feels so real in this movie, yet it is lined with hope and love. It’s almost exhausting seeing Guido day after day try to keep his son happy and hope to keep his childhood innocence intact. I’m not emotionless but it’s kind of hard to get me to cry from a movie and this is had me in tears (only one of two that I can think of, well sad tears, there are plenty movies that have me in tears because of how awful they are ;) ) and yet kept me smiling at certain moments throughout. I know many people who refuse to watch foreign films and/or black and white films including on here, but there is no excuse for that, if anyone hasn’t seen this movie, you are missing out. Rereading my comment, I don’t feel I do justice to the beauty and hope portrayed in this movie and the only way you will ever understand it fully is to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pysuUJhOnv4

JohnErle

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
– Director: Mike Newell; starring Hugh Grant, Andie Macdowell, James Fleet and John Hannah. Richard Curtis has tried to recycle the same formula in virtually every film he's ever made but this was the only time his sense of humour from the Black Adder days was still intact. Just the right ratio of laughs:romance:sadness. The title is a stroke of genius because despite all the hilarity and romance in the first hour, you know a character is going to die. You just don't know which one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb7bu_n1erY
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #9): 20-11

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #20

Shrykespeare: Ghost Busters (1984) – A suitable start to the Top 20. This is one of the several 80's movies that appealed to both adults and children, and still manage to remain enjoyable and entertaining.

silversurfer: An American Werewolf in London (1981) - A little high in a Top 100 for my taste, but an excellent film nonetheless. I saw it on Christmas Eve of 2009 (not exactly appropriate!) and had no idea it was going to be as good as it was.

thegreenarrow: The Big Lebowski (1996) - A brilliant offbeat comedy. Can't get enough of it.

transformers: Knocked Up(2007) - Big heart and big laughs? Yep, that pretty much describes Apatow's first two movies (less so with Funny People). I do really like this though for meThe 40 Year Old Virgin is better.

englishozzy

Ron Burgundy

Buscemi: Requiem for a Dream (2000) - Intense stuff indeed, although it's my least favourite Aronofsky flick. I get what he's trying to do (and indeed it's a very typical Hubert Selby Jnr novel, involving a descent and zero hope) but in a way it comes off as so extreme that it's almost laughable. Almost, but not quite. Obviously not every story of addiction ends up like this and while Araonofsky wants to tell his own story, I woudl have preferred him to acknowledge some sort of glimmer of hope. Good visual style, though.

Chienfantome: The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) – I had this on my list a few weeks ago, so you know I'm a fan. My favourite Wes Anderson movie so far. I think it's something about that tension between a depressing story of family dysfunction and brilliant wit that makes it so good (and so much better than subsequent indie films about the same theme told in a similar tone).

Banks: American Beauty (2000) - A film many regard as a classic, and while there's things I like about it I like, I do find it to be a bit pretentious, and ironically it throws in a few cliches in there too.

BarcaRulz: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Adapting a book can't be easy, but this one manages to capture the essence of a good story.

Geezer: The Goonies (1985) - See my comment for Ghostbusters. Great fun. Bizarre to see Josh Brolin so young!

leestu: Stand By Me (1986) - An audience favourite over here for some reason. A good film, and miles better than other films about growing up in an earlier era.

W: Schindler's List (1993) - A beautiful, powerful film that fills every moment with a deep, dsturbign sense of loss and tragedy.

NSpan: Beetlejuice (1988) – You saw this at 6???? That explains a lot ;) A great film though, and indeed I too have felt somewhat betrayed by Burton in the last decade. How can he make stuff like this, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, and the Batman films, and then go on to make the stuff that he has recently. He's now a self-parody.

undeadmonkey: La Vita è Bella (1997) – A very likeable movie indeed. An interesting blend of slapstick comedy and tragedy. PErhaps a tad on the sentimental side foe me, and while Benigni works well at the comedy moments, during the more serious ones I'm less convinced of hsi capabilities as an actor. But it is moving.

JohnErle: Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) – I've seen it over the years in bits and pieces. It's okay, though it's not nearly as good as most of Blackadder (maybe he needed help from Ben Elton?).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I have now added surfer's and greenarrow's comments. I have also added in the picks of englishozzy (with comments) and Ron B (without).

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #20

englishozzy - Avatar (2009) - hmmm, many people perceive this as the greatest movie ever because of how much money it made and others think it's the worst just because so many people love it. yet, most of that is all just hype reactions. So what is left after you take away, all the hype, all the everything surrounding the film and look at it subjectively. (although i'm sure that's a bit hard to do.) I think it's an enjoyable movie with a ton of flaws, so i guess i can understand the love for it or if you put it in your top 20. I doubt it would make my top 200, but i did like it and i would see the sequel. interested to see what others say about it, although less than half of us actually comment on these....

Banks - American Beauty (2000) - now here is a supposed classic that i do somewhat understand where people are coming from, but again i don't really love it. The story is interesting with some great acting involved. to me though, the biggest flaw is the ending. the opening sequence gives away the ending, so i feel it doesn't give as big an impact as i think it could have. There are also moments that i felt lagged a bit and was waiting for it to move on. either way, i can't really fault people for loving it.

BarcaRulz - To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - interesting film, although many films of that time just zipped through their stories, with fast dialogue and so on. This one just lets you soak in the story. and a good one at that. nice choice.

W - Schindler's List (1993) - he was evil, but i didn't really find him that memorable, just another crank of the whole horrible thing. This is however such a stunning film, i don't think i moved all three hours of watching this, frozen while scene after scene unfolded, leaving me cold and warmed of the awful things that can happen and the great people that try to help.

NSpan - Beetlejuice (1988) – i think before i said that i have just seen bits and pieces of it, but i was watching parts of it again, and i think i might have seen all of it. It has to have been at least more than 10 years ago, and i think i was horrified and blocked it out of my memory at the time. So i can't really rate it, but hope to be able to sit down and see it all in one go one of these days

Haven't Seen

Shrykespeare - Ghost Busters* (1984) – I've always wanted to see it, but so far haven't

silversurfer - An American Werewolf in London* (1981)

thegreenarrow - The Big Lebowski (1996) - I've only seen half, so i don't think thats enough to judge it completely

transformers - Knocked Up (2007)

Ron Burgundy - Seven Samurai (1954)

Buscemi - Requiem for a Dream (2000) - you've got to be kidding me. showing this film to junior high students. There are millions of other ways to show that drugs are bad without the need to show the stuff that is depicted in here to preteens. Like i said, i haven't seen it, but even just reading the content description turns me off the movie. on another note. I've never done drugs in my life, not even weed. So if the only reason to watch the movie is to show me that drugs are bad, i think i'll pass

Chienfantome - The Royal Tenenbaums* (2001) – will see one of these days, hopefully soon

numbersix - The Godfather* (1972) - just not a fan of the genre, that's why i haven't run out to see it, but plan on seeing it one day because of the 'classic' status it has. i'll just have to make sure to go in with the right expectations, or i might be disappointed.

Geezer - The Goonies (1985) - it looks a bit silly to me, but i might check it out.

leestu - Stand By Me (1986)

JohnErle - Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) - this also seemed a bit throwaway, but maybe there's more to it

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Ghostbusters
When there's somethin' strange, in the neighborhood... It's one of the US films I delightedly watched when I was a kid over and over, along with its sequel. I'd love to watch it again all those years later.

Surfer - An american werewolf in London
I've only seen it once a few years ago. I remember it had me hooked, but little else, I could really use a second viewing.

greenarrow - The Big Lebowski
One of the greatest examples of how a film can be enriched by its viewing. The more you see this film, the more its greatness appears. The atmosphere of LA in its noirish way, the characters, the writing. Each time it seems even better. A favorite of mine too.

transformers - Knocked up
Sometimes crude, sometimes sweet, another excellent film from Judd Apatow, who might be greater if he was a bit edgier in his moral, but a talented filmmaker nonetheless.

Ozzy - Avatar
Ha ! I wondered if (when ?) Avatar would eventually show up. For me, Avatar is only worth its reputation for the visual glory of it, all this digital work of Cameron. but beyond that, beyond the beauty of the world created, I can't really see anything amazing in Avatar. Behind the technique, it's just a disguised remake of Pocahontas. Very simplistic and unsurprising.

Ron B - Seven Samurai
Still haven't seen this particular Kurosawa.

Buscemi - Requiem for a dream
A punch in the head movie. It left me sick and fascinated in theater, and I have never seen it ever since. I love it, and would still love it years from now even though I'm not sure I'll see it again anytime soon.

Six - The Godfather
I've cited it myself a few rounds ago, so obviously I love it too. Such a dense cinematographic tale and a fascinating recreation of American Crime. I love how the films takes its time to explore the characters and all the layers of the story. A monument of cinema.

Banks - American Beauty
I haven't seen it in a while, but it's a very good film.The cynical side of it makes it funny, but Mendes manages to add some sort of poetic, spleeny mood to it. Birhc, Suvari and Bentley never really managed to seize the success of this film in their career after that...

Barca - To kill a mockingbird
A bok I consider one of the greatest I have ever read, and the film is a very solid one, although I hold the book in such high esteem and love it's hard for me to consider the film as great.

Geezer - The Goonies
Like Ghost busters, it's a film I grew up with, watched over and over and over. I remember I dreamed of meeting adventure like the goonies when I watched it as a kid. Great fun.

Leestu - Stand by me
I discovered it only last year, after years of hearing and reading about it. It's a very pleasant film, with a sense of nostalgia without too much pathos that makes it quite admirable.

W - Schindler's list
It ended up #101 on my list. Probably just because I haven't seen it in 15 years or so. It's such a powerful film, bold and dark, but with this touch of light and hope that characterizes Spielberg's films.

NSpan - Beetlejuice
The Burton I love. Fun, dark, crazy, and with a Michael Keaton I miss (seriously, offer the man some great comedic roles, Hollywood !).

UDM - La vita è bella
An important film from the 90's, as it raised the question of "can you really laugh of everything ?". A beautiful film I haven't seen since theater.

JohnErle - Four weddings and a funeral
Wow, here's one I haven't seen in a while either. I remember I saw it in theater when I was on holiday with my mom and sis in Normandy, I was 12 or 13. For a while it's a film we watched a lot in family. It has become a true classic. I don't know if I'd love it as much today, but I certainly did back then.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #20

BarcaRulz - To Kill a Mockingbird - Hey, if it's a B/W movie, and I've not only SEEN it, but it appears ON MY LIST, it has to be great, huh? (10/10)

englishozzy - Avatar - The 3D was fucking brilliant. The story was just average. (8/10)

Banks - American Beauty - Very good movie, and pretty much the last thing Spacey's done that's been widely acclaimed. Damn, Mena was hot, wasn't she? (The last two things I've seen her in, epidodes of Psych and The Cape, she's played complete psychos.) (7/10)

transformers - Knocked Up
leestu - Stand By Me
NSpan - Beetlejuice
numbersix - The Godfather
Geezer - The Goonies
W - Schindler's List

All just okay for me. (6/10)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #20 ADDITIONS

englishozzy: Avatar (2009) - Sorry buddy, but while you may have had a good experience, I had the opposite. I can't deny the CGI is amazing, the world looks great, and the 3D is light years beyond what I had seen before, but none of that come even close to making a good move in my eyes. I'd rather great characters and story with awful effects. But Avatar is the opposite. Too much 3D cameras, too many 1D characters. I don't mind it ripping of Dances with Wolves if it was done well. But it wasn't. The characters just didn't feel reel enough to invest any emotion in. They were mostly caricatures. Cameron's worst film by far.

Ron Burgundy: Seven Samurai (1954) - This is high on my To See list.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Monkey, some schools actually are showing the film to students. In fact, this was part of the reason why Aronofsky tried to appeal the rating.

Also, weed isn't as bad as one would think. It's never killed anyone and the effects are blown out of proportion (the first time I tried it, the biggest effect was that I really wanted a granola bar).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

If they cut out the "ass to ass!" scene, Requiem would be great viewing for HSer's. It's more powerful than any anti-drug lecture in health class.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Shrykespeare wrote: silversurfer
Whatever happened to Landis?
He accidentally killed some kids. I guess the guilt didn't completely consume his creative potential until AFTER directing the Three Amigos.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

It wasn't the Vic Morrow incident that ended Landis (he was actually acquitted of murder charges as it was ruled an accident), it was Beverly Hills Cop III and Blues Brothers 2000 that ended him. Some of his recent television work has been good though (Slasher, Deer Woman, Mr. Warmth).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare: GhostBusters (1984) –Pretty funny. The pairing of Aykrod,Moranis and Murray is priceless. I really hope the remake does it justice (7.5/10)

silversurfer: An American Werewolf in London (1981) -I haven't seen it.

thegreenarrow: The Big Lebowski (1996) -Very funny and offbeat movie. I have to rewatch this soon(8/10)

englishozzy: Avatar(2009) -I have expressed how much I hate this movie in the past. In my opinion, the single most overrated movie of all time.(3/10)

Ron Burgundy: Seven Samaurai(1954)-Haven't seen it.

Buscemi: Requiem for a Dream (2000) -Disturbing and intense movie. Very well acted and directed. It's a very good film, but it would never make my list due to how grim it is. When I watched it ruined my entire day, I do agree about your statement about showing to this kids. It's a very powerful movie with a strong anti-drug message. (8/10)

Chienfantome: The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) –Can't stand Wes Anderson, his style of humor is way too dry for my taste. Really hated this movie. (2/10)

Banks: American Beauty (2000) -Haven't seen it.

BarcaRulz: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) -Well acted and a classic. Good movie(7.5/10)

Geezer: The Goonies (1985) -Great movie, not quite on my list, but it's a hell of a fun movie and there is a lot nostalgia for me. (9/10)

leestu: Stand By Me (1986) -Haven't seen it.

W: Schindler's List (1993) -Haven't seen it and I think I can ever bring myself to, I don't feel like getting extremely depressed.

NSpan: Beetlejuice (1988) –Haven't seen it.

undeadmonkey: La Vita è Bella (1997) –Haven't seen it.

JohnErle: Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) –Haven't seen it
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Avatar (2009)[/b] - I don't mind it ripping off Dances with Wolves if it was done well. But it wasn't.
I wouldn't mind Cameron ripping off a GOOD movie. But he didn't.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #20

Shrykespeare: Ghost Busters (1984) – An entertaining, funny movie with a dose of horror, I love it almost as much as you. (10/10)

thegreenarrow: The Big Lebowski (1996) - Another favourite of mine. Doesn't come close to their more noir style movies which I prefer, but a very funny, complex movie with some great characters. (10/10)

transformers: Knocked Up(2007) - I've only watched it the once but it did evoke all those qualities you mentioned. Not as good as The 40 Year Old Virgin, but Rogen was likeable in the lead. (7/10)

englishozzy: Avatar (2009) - I don't really see how a movie can make your top 20 of all time just from an experience, which kind of lends itself to my original opinion that a movie needs time and further viewings to fully appreciate how good it can be. Initial impressions of movies usually go down in my estimations on second viewings, and this was no different. While the opening scene with Worthington floating around in space was phenomenol, and it continued to do so on the big screen and in 3D. However, when I watched it again on tv (and it was a decent size - 40 inch and in HD), the impact was totally lost. It just couldn't sustain that impact on further viewings. It's basically like most IMAX movies, they are good for that occasion, but it's nothing more. The story just isn't strong enough or original enough to make you care. (6.5/10)

Ron Burgundy: The Seven Samurai (1954) - Brilliant, epic movie, one of the greatest action movies ever. (10/10)

Buscemi: Requiem for a Dream (2000) - I think in a way, and in this thread in particular, the concept of the movie has been lost. While it deals with drug addictions, the movie is much more so a film which tackles all addictions, be them drugs, tv shows, sex, and how Aronofsky deals with the idea is so profound. We watched Black Swan last night, and the movie felt like an extension of this and The Wrestler, all the movies deal with a determination to free oneself, but how they have these ties which hold them back, be it addictions or fears of losing control. Aronosfsky is becoming this century's Kubrick for me, the epic scale of his movies are so powerful, so intense, and I feel like these are movies we will be talking about for decades. The visuals in this are so striking, and the atmosphere he creates is so dark and brooding, it simmers before exploding. I'd never seen anything like it when I first saw it, and he's only gone on to perfect his art over the years. (10/10)

Chienfantome: The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) – I am kind of disappointed I couldn't fit an Anderson film on my list, as I love pretty much everything he's created. So much invention in his characters and this is one of, if not his best. All of those things you mentioned combine to make it such a weird, such a delightful movie, and one I need to watch again.(8/10)

numbersix: The Godfather (1972) - I can understand why you love the film so much, but for me I just couldn't feel the connection, I didn't care for the characters, I just don't like the genre. It feels so cliche and maybe that's because it invented the cliche, but I just don't really appreciate the movie. (6/10)

Banks: American Beauty (2000) - A very, very good movie, and one that was on my favourite list until recently. It's so poetically told, and Spacey and Benning are phenomenol in their roles, while Cooper provides superb support. That final montage sequence is so memorable, unforgettable even. (9/10)

BarcaRulz: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - Still need to watch this movie, and considering the acclaim it's already achieved on here I should probably do it soon. (N/A)

Geezer: The Goonies (1985) - Watched this movie a few months ago in a cinema for the first time since it's release (which, considering I remember very little from that age, actually remember watching in the cinema on its original release). Completely entertaining, you wanted to be each an every member of the group, they had so much fun, endured so much terror, it's the realisation of every kid's fantasy. (9/10)

leestu: Stand By Me (1986) - I guessed right then! Along with The Breakfast Club one of the very best coming of age stories, and the kids, like in The Goonies, are very good. King does have a knack for creating some fascinating stories, along with some not so fascinating, but when they are good, they are usually very, very good. (8/10)

W: Schindler's List (1993) - I suspect, along with Shawshank, we are going to be seeing a lot more of this movie over the next couple of weeks. And you know, as soon as you mentioned Fiennes, and your favourite scene, I knew it was going to be that one. It's such an intense scene, the lack of humanity in his character is shocking, but makes it all the more powerful. (8/10)

NSpan: Beetlejuice (1988) – You brought up an interesting point regarding how Burton makes movies nowadays, and while I can't exactly agree with you, I do believe he has taken a step back in his creativity, allowing studios to pick movies for him to create rather than relying on original ideas. What I'd give to watch an original Burton idea on the screen again, if that was to happen, and not on a colossol budget, I have no doubt we'd see his genius once again. Anyway, good to see some further appreciation of the movie, it's so bizarre but so perfect at the same time. I must have been a little older when I first watched the movie, but it still terrified and wowed me at the same time. (10/10)

undeadmonkey: La Vita è Bella (1997) – I was wondering if this would turn up at any point. I've only watched it the once, and I kind of agree with six. Benigni is great at the slapstick, Laurel and Hardy/ Chaplin-esque comedy, but in regards to the more serious tones I wasn't convinced. However, the story is such a clever one, as Benigni character's tries to shield his son from the atrocities of the holocaust is a delight to watch. And you are dead right, this is a film which simply must be seen, and I don't care about all those "there are far too many american movies I've got to watch first", that's bullshit, when those people then go and watch some of the most woeful movies ever created in place of genius, it's just lazy. I'm not saying watch every foreign movie, but there are some movies which MUST be watched, and this is one of them. (9/10)

JohnErle: Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) – Ugh. Now when I mentioned earlier in my comments on how to create a movie set in the UK and have it feel authentic, as An American Werewolf In London is, this was exactly the kind of movie I was criticising. It's such a terrible, unfunny movie full of stereotypes which don't exist in England. Such a lazy attempt at comedy with no research into the British public and to top it off a story by Curtis which he has just repeated throughout his career as if it was a template for a classic. It is not. And give me a break. Matches up to Black Adder? Not a chance in hell. That was a witty, smart satire with strong performances from all it's cast. This is quite the opposite. Ranks alongside all those Sandler comedies. Find me a British person who truly enjoys this and I'll show you a liar. (1/10)

Ugh. Talk about ending a good round on a bad note.
l

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

silversurfer19 wrote:MOVIE #20

JohnErle: Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) – Ugh. Now when I mentioned earlier in my comments on how to create a movie set in the UK and have it feel authentic, as An American Werewolf In London is, this was exactly the kind of movie I was criticising. It's such a terrible, unfunny movie full of stereotypes which don't exist in England. Such a lazy attempt at comedy with no research into the British public and to top it off a story by Curtis which he has just repeated throughout his career as if it was a template for a classic. It is not. And give me a break. Matches up to Black Adder? Not a chance in hell. That was a witty, smart satire with strong performances from all it's cast. This is quite the opposite. Ranks alongside all those Sandler comedies. Find me a British person who truly enjoys this and I'll show you a liar. (1/10)

Ugh. Talk about ending a good round on a bad note.
l
The British film industry must be full of liars since BAFTA gave this movie its highest honour.