Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #9): 20-11

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #9): 20-11

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Just to throw it out there, I think we ALL should watch every film from everyone's Top 10.

I know that would be 170 movies, but I'm sure a lot will overlap.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Why do we need to see ten of them? I'm sure I've seen a lot of them. I'm sure there's a few people (if not most) that have seen every one of my top ten already. I don't think I'll get through, say, even 50 or so extra films added to my list in two years. I understand the consensus top ten, but I think I'll start with the first one from each list I've never seen and then make executive decisions on the rest.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #14

Banks - V For Vendetta - In my Top 10. (10/10)

UDM - The Incredibles - Also in my Top 10. (10/10)

englishozzy - Toy Story 3 - This makes the 59th film chosen from my list. (10/10)

Ron B - LOTR: The Two Towers - Excellent choice. (10/10)

Chien - IJ and the LC - Loved it, but still not as much as Raiders. (8/10)

W - Reservoir Dogs - Well, now that I've finally seen it, I can give it a rating! (7/10)

transformers/BarcaRulz - Memento - Just can't jump on the big bandwagon for this movie. Sorry. (2/10)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #14

Shrykespeare: Predator (1987) – Excellent action movie. Brilliant use of atmospherics, which is why I'm sure Predators sucks. Poor guys, if only they weren't armed.

silversurfer: Miller's Crossing (1990) - This used to be in my Top 100, although I find I prefer a few other Coens flicks a tad more. Not like there's anything bad to say about this. Hilarious scenes, great references to the classics, and that Albert Finney "Danny Boy" scene is without doubt one of the finest in cinema.

thegreenarrow: The Witches (1990) - Loved it as a kid, watched it recently and realised how fucked up it is. But a good story from Dahl's disturbed mind.

transformers and Barca: Memento (2000) - I must watch the DVD extra that shows the film in chronological order. I bet I'd still like it. What makes it stand out are the scenes that dwell on Pearce's melancholy, making it more than a gimmick. Good choice.

englishozzy: Toy Story 3 (2010) - wow, I really haven't processed it enough to consider it for a Top 100, even though it was a highlight of last year. I think the best way to judge it is to watch all three films in a row. I still think the original is the best.

Ron Burgundy: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - I actually hated the books. Poor pacing, lots of diversions, including pages of Elvish songs! The movies were way better, but this is still my least favourite part, again due to some pacing issues and subplots. Good battle scene, though.

Buscemi: Jackie Brown (1997) - I watched this a few months back. It's a good film, but for me it does feel a tad too long, and despite QT's best efforts to concentrate on character, it gets to bogged down on the narrative trickery of the hesit from multiple angles. I ultimately agree with what you say, a conventional film made well. By the way, don't read Rum Punch, it sucks in comparison.

Chienfantome: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) – Great pick. We certainly have a similar taste when it comes to the more popular movies. The relationship between father and son (something Spielberg almost always features in his films) is what makes this stand out.

Banks: V For Vendetta (2005) - Silly movie that wants to say important things but falls flat. SS asked earlier about Portman's performance, but honestly I dont' rate it. IT didn't stand out and the only moment I remember is that hilariouly OTT scene where she's in the rain. Just not for me.

Geezer: Rounders (1998) - I honeslty don't think you need to know poker to get this film, as the technical elements aren't integral to the plot. Anyway, I've seen this twice, once before playing poker and once after. Neither impressed me. As a poker player Damon's spidey-senses are just silly and the plot is generic with only Norton impressing on the performance level (Malkovish deserved a Razzie).

leestu: Trainspotting (1996) - Great energy and pace toa harrowing movie.

W: Reservoir Dogs (1992) - Great thriller.

NSpan: Ed Wood (1994) – Loved it when I saw it well over a decade ago. Have it on DVD and I must see it again. But I still remember enough to adore it.

undeadmonkey: The Incredibles (2004) - A very solid Pixar movie. The cape montage is hilarious.

JohnErle: Barton Fink (1991) – Glad to see someone else appreciate the "life of the mind". Stunning movie.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I don't think Surfer was suggesting watching every movie in every ones top ten. i think he just meant the ones he hadn't seen. Nspan was the one who suggested watching every movie in the collective top ten wether we had seen it or not.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

undeadmonkey wrote:I don't think Surfer was suggesting watching every movie in every ones top ten. i think he just meant the ones he hadn't seen. Nspan was the one who suggested watching every movie in the collective top ten wether we had seen it or not.
yes--but just to be clear: the "collective top ten" means TEN movies total
Last edited by NSpan on February 10th, 2011, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

BarcaRulz wrote:I will take that on as well SS. Every movie in the top 10 deserves at least one chance.

Unless UDM picks a documentary about Shakiras life. :D

DOES THIS EXIST?! :o

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, given that the (current) collective Top 10 features three movies picked nine times, six movies picked eight times and one movie picked seven times, the odds that the collective Top 10 will have - for any of us - more than a handful of movies that we haven't seen yet is rather unlikely.

As of now, there are only seven films still in the Top 100 that have been picked only three times, and none of them are higher than #91. I figure it will take at LEAST four picks to make the final Top 100.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Well, the collective Top 10 will be historically-significant (to us, obviously). We should carve the titles into stone tablets or something.

A list of everybody's #1 favorite will also be interesting.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

NSpan wrote:Well, the collective Top 10 will be historically-significant (to us, obviously). We should carve the titles into stone tablets or something.
At the very least someone should embroider it on a throw pillow.
That might be more interesting that the collective top 10 which will undoubtedly gravitate towards the safe middle ground. A few unexpected, gonzo #1s would make for interesting reading.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

NSpan wrote:Well, the collective Top 10 will be historically-significant (to us, obviously). We should carve the titles into stone tablets or something.

Number one overall could grace the cover of the first RS Magazine.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Predators
I haven't seen it in a while, but I've always considered it to be a very much overrated film. It definitely bored me.

Surfer - Miller's Crossing
I think it's the only Coen Bros. film I have never seen. Shame on me. I think I have it on dvd though, so it shouldn't be a problem catching it.

greenarrow - The Witches
I don't think I've ever seen it. I do remember it, but I haven't seen it.

Transformers & Barca - Memento
Christopher Nolan seems to be the most popular director over here, and it's not with this wonderful film that I will complain over that. Fantastic film.

Ozzy - Toy Story 3
One of the very best films of 2010 for sure. Will it deserve a place in a Top 100, and more questionably, in a Top 15 ? That remains to be seen. Time will tell for me.

Ron B - The Two Towers
A fantastic second part of an immense 9-hour film.

Buscemi - Jackie Brown
I've only seen it once, when it was released in theater. It's been a while, yes. ANd to be honest I considered it a weak Tarantino, if that's possible.

Six - Rear Window
Yes, we do seem to share our tastes concerning Hollywood films. And as far as Hitchcock goes, this is one of my aboslute favourite too. It ended up in my #110 - 100 list. Had I seen it recently, it would probably be much higher. One of the best "huis clos" ever.

Banks - V For Vendetta
Well, I can't I had missed this one. It leaves me cold.

Geezer - Rounders
I haven't seen it since theater. It was watchable. Norton was funny in it. I can't say I remember much of it though.

leestu - Trainspotting
Again, I haven't seen it in such a long time... I'm not a fan of Boyle, so I should definitely revisit this one to see if it falls among the few I love.

W - Reservoir Dogs
Now that's a great Tarantino film. It introduced his style and art to the world, and remains one of his very best works.

NSpan - Ed Wood
Not one of my favourite Burtons, but a good film.

UDM - The Incredibles
Quite an incredible film from Pixar, but hey, when do they not make incredible films, those guys ?

Erle - Barton Fink
A very much deserved Golden Palm for the Coens. Great, great film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Random Thoughts On Recent Picks:

Field Of Dreams - Some stuff in this film bugged me, but whenever Costner was on the diamond it was magical. And that ending ranks up there with Shane and Old Yeller for making manly men shed a tear.

MIller's Crossing - As much as I love the Coens, this one always felt like a failure to me. If I remember right, I think it's because of the overly stylized dialogue delivered far too seriously. Great cinematography though.

Predator - Easily my favourite McBain movie.

Ed Wood - Not on my list, but I liked it a lot.

The Royal Tenenbaums - Loved it the one time I saw it, never quite got around to watching it again. Gene Hackman delivering that "My adopted daughter..." line cracked me up every time. Then again, any line seems like genius when delivered by Gene Hackman.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #13

Shrykespeare

The Breakfast Club (1985)
– Director: John Hughes; starring Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson and Paul Gleason. I had the incredible good fortune to be a teenager when The Breakfast Club came out. Never had any movie before (or since) no perfectly capture the essence of being a teenager or a high-schooler like this film did. When five students, each with a very different upbringing, each belonging to a different pre-determined high-school clique, are confined for detention purposes in their school’s library by their overbearing principal for an entire Saturday, something incredible happens. With all barriers between them removed, these five completely different individuals begin to bond, discovering things about not only each other but themselves as well. John Hughes, one of the maestros of crafting memorable films featuring young actors and actresses, has made some incredible movies, but not as markedly poignant and subtly soul-stirring as this. Though now more than 25 years old, The Breakfast Club deals with timeless issues such as peer pressure, parental pressure, and the high and low points of the societal structure that every school has. I maintain that this should be required viewing for every teenager as well as anyone who is the parent of a teenager. Brilliantly shot and edited and with a terrific soundtrack (“Don’t You Forget About Me” will always be connected to this movie, and justly so, it’s a perfect fit), The Breakfast Club is the greatest teen movie of all time. (This movie is the first of my Top 13, any one of which could have been my #1 film of all time depending on my mood. As far as I’m concerned, these thirteen films are a tie for #1; they represent cinematic perfection or near-perfection to me, films that I could – and have – watch over and over again and never tire of them. The order I’m putting them in is only because I have to for the purposes of this list, but whatever my #1 ends up being – I still haven’t decided – rest assured, I love it as many as any of the films that I will be listing from here on out.) (2nd appearance)

Great Judd Nelson scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vqlhi3QQw

silversurfer

28 Days Later (2002)
- Director: Danny Boyle; starring Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Brendan Gleeson and Christopher Eccleston. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nA1sF15ygc

thegreenarrow

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
- Director: Roman Polanski; starring Mia Farrow, John Cassavetes and Ruth Gordon. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPyEsObI1M

transformers

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
- Director: James Cameron; starring Arnold Schwarznegger, Linda Hamilton, Robert Patrick and Edward Furlong. As you all know, I am an action movie whore. I just seem to pretty much always enjoy them. When it comes to action films, it doesn't get much better than Terminator 2. It's one of the most thrilling, amazing and bad-ass movies ever made. Schwarznegger has never been cooler or more charismatic. The visual effects are dazzling for the time and the T-1000 is one of the best villains in movie history. This movie is the only reason that I don't hate James Cameron. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDVVAuz1v7U

englishozzy

Watchmen (2009)
- Director: Zack Snyder; starring Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Jackie Earle Haley and Patrick Wilson. This may have been a critical failure and I will probably get ridiculed by almost everybody but I really enjoyed this film. Coming from a big fan of the comic series I think Snyder has done an excellent adaptation. Snyder has really thought out and taking great care in transferring the graphic novel to film, and yes I admit it may be a bit daunting to people unfamiliar with the work from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon but the style and artistry really brings this film to life and for me personally, was one of the standouts from 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4blSrZvPhU

Ron Burgundy

Finding Nemo (2003)
- Director: Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich; starring Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres, Alex Gould, Willem Dafoe, Geoffrey Rush, Alison Janney, Brad Garrett and Stephen Root. I know Toy Story is a great movie, but this my personal favourite from Pixar, which follows the story of a fish who goes on a massive adventure, evading sharks, dodging seagulls and making friends too. I’m sure all of you have seen it, I love it because it’s so colourful and it has a great ending. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfgeIZyrIM0

Buscemi

Goodfellas (1990)
- Director: Martin Scorsese; starring Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, Lorraine Bracco and Paul Sorvino. The life of made man Henry Hill is the basis for Martin Scorsese's film about Mob life in the 1960's and 1970's. With Scorsese's ability to tell a story and the great acting performances from everyone involved, the film is entertaining and moves along quite nicely despite the long running time. Ray Liotta not getting nominated for Best Actor on this is in my opinion one of the biggest snubs of the 1990's (though to be fair, De Niro and Pesci were just as good and Pesci won an Oscar) while Pesci totally deserved to win (sadly, Pesci retired from acting as he being typecast in Tommy Devito-type roles). Another snub was that Dances With Wolves beat it for Best Picture. So what will it be: boring war film from egocentric actor or a great Mob biopic from a filmmaking legend? (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo5jJpHtI1Y

Chienfantome

Days of Heaven (1978)
– Director: Terence Malick, starring Richard Gere, Sam Shephard, Brooke Adams and Linda Manz. There are two kinds of favourite films. The ones that break through your heart from the very first time you see them. And the ones that need several viewings to impose themselves, to you, as a work of greatness. Days of Heaven belongs to the latter category for me. I remember the first time I saw it was in theater, around the time The Thin Red Line was released. It felt like a beautiful film visually, but nothing more for me back then. A few years later, I’ve given it a second chance on TV. I was fascinated by it, but did not really know what to make of it. And then, the third time, it was explosion of sensations and sentiments. Not only is this one of the most beautifully photographed film ever, but it’s also a raw and naturalistic portrait of the American people, and a gripping tale of ambition, of bitter love and of desperate runs. It’s a film that makes all my senses work when I watch it. Few films have this effect on me. A couple who’s left the city because of a crime hides in Texan country, on the property of a land owner who hires seasonal workers. The owner falls for the girl. Her man sends her in the rich man’s arms, knowing he is ill and does not have long to live. Malick loves to explore the notions of good and evil, and he does so here so beautifully…

Here’s the French trailer for the 2010 restored re-release (don’t worry, there are no dialogues, no voice-over, just the beauty of the images and the music):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quN2ChOlbHo

numbersix

Annie Hall (1977)
- Director: Woody Allen; starring Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Carol Kane and Tony Roberts. I had seen a few Woody Allen films prior to watching Annie Hall. And I liked most of them, but I couldn’t say I really loved them. And then I saw Annie Hall, and everything was different. There was something about the way Woody (or Woody’s character Alvy Singer) stands in front of the camera (see the clip below), breaking the fourth wall, and revealing his problems and anxieties about love. I was genuinely taken aback. It was so honest, so refreshing. It also helps that it’s all portrayed under the guise of Allen’s trademark humour, making the stories of missed opportunities and failed relationships not just palatable but something more. It’s as if the humour is a sort of catharsis, helping us deal with all of our similar personality problems, easing us out of our defences to have a laugh at the worst part of ourselves. The film follows Alvy, a rising comic who can’t help but think about the one who got away, so much so that he even attempts to recreate moments he shared with Annie with another, and it totally fails. It’s a wonderful, honest, sometimes hilarious film about how we always want what we can’t have, and how that can ruin what we do have. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrxlfvI17oY

Banks

Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)
- Director: Guillermo Del Toro; starring Ivana Baquero, Ariadna Gil and Sergi Lopez. One of the most beautiful and tragic fairy tales ever committed to film, Pan’s is a dark atmospheric journey from Del Toro, the monster man himself. I love that he just doesn’t focus on making crazy monsters – even though they are present – but on a great story too. I just wish I spoke fluent Spanish so I could immerse myself even further, without having to read the subtitles. And, something that all great films need, a fantastic and moving ending. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYiSlkvRuw

BarcaRulz

Se7en (1995)
- Director: David Fincher, Starring: Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, Gwenyth Paltrow. Second of three Fincher movies, and all of them are in my top 20. A great director brings to life a smart script with a very dark plot. All the acting talent is at their best, with Spacey being especially creepy in his small but extremely effective role. With what is widely regarded as one of the better endings in film history, this is an overall masterpiece, and one that does not dull with repeat viewings despite knowing the ending. (8th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fAf4wmN8Bw

Geezer

The Sandlot (1993)
- Director: David M. Evans, starring: Tom Guirry, Mike Vitar and Patrick Renna. There's no getting around my love for the game of baseball, and my recent picks have shown such love. This movie epitomized my childhood. I must have watched it 200 times. I really thought I was going to be the only one in the group to pick this, but W came through! It’s a great family movie that wreaks of nostalgia throughout. So many iconic scenes, wonderfully funny lines, and parts that you never forget ("You play ball like a GIRL!!"). I've even watched it a couple times recently only to find out that its not all just nostalgia for me, the film still holds up just as well to this day. I watch it and still love every minute of it, still laugh at the jokes, and still idolize Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez. It’s not a guilty pleasure, just an absolute delight. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxL3Ly1Hjzo

leestu

Planet of the Apes (1968)
- Director Franklin J. Schaffner; starring Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall and Kim Hunter. This movie may not have aged very well and seem a bit dated but it is still an earnest and thought provoking philosophical movie behind the sci-fi adventure, and the whole Planet of the Apes series was a childhood favourite of mine. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjcpRHuPjOI

W

Shrek (2001)
- Director: Andrew Adamson, Starring: Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, and Cameron Diaz. This send-up to Grimm's Fairy Tales and old Walt Disney films is easily my favorite animated film. It's got as good of lines as any adult comedy out there and as good of characters than any film I can think of. Mike Myers is good as Shrek, but the real gems are Donkey and the smaller characters like Pinocchio, the three little pigs ("He huffed and he puffed and he... signed an eviction notice."), and obviously Gingy ("You're a monster."). And then there's easily the best villain of the quadrilogy, Farquaad. I appreciated the film even more after going to Disney World, specifically the It's A Small World spoof. It makes me want to say "Let's do that again!" (5th appearance)

Gingy/Lord Farquaad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpBJih02aYU

NSpan

Barton Fink (1991)
– Directors: The Coen Brothers; starring John Turturro, John Goodman and Judy Davis. Art about art can be tricky. Stories (implicitly or explicitly) about the creative process have yielded some of the best--and some of the worst--works of art throughout time. Synecdoche, New York is a fine example of just how atrocious (and pretentious) the genre can shit out. Barton Fink, on the other hand, is a pinnacle of meta-art. The Coens have a lot of fun here, but don't get distracted with red herrings. Writer's block and the concept of "development hell" are the two primary themes. Hollywood may be depicted as the Fourth Circle, but the story doesn't glorify art for the sake of art--nor does it pretend that all self-proclaimed creative-types actually have anything to say. I've still only seen A Serious Man once, but I feel like the Coens drew a lot from this earlier masterpiece when putting that together. Barton Fink has one of my favorite film-endings I can think of. And, as a piece of fun trivia, that bird dropping (apparently dead) into the water was not scripted nor planned--but, man, how perfect! (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0WjWlVO9w

undeadmonkey

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)
- Director: Andrew Dominik; starring Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck and Sam Shepard. For being a three-hour film this movie flies by. The writing in this film is superb. The acting is great, I think the best any of the cast has ever and since been. Roger Deakins cinematography work here is the best he has ever done. Every scene simply sparkles with energy and beauty; they are hypnotic and I just wanted to see what would happen next. (Hopefully one day the 4-hour version will be released.) There are some scenes that give me goose bumps just thinking about it. Again, I don’t feel my words justify the film at all, the majestic quality that is portrayed here can't be told about, it has to be seen. Grant it, if your expecting an action western, you will be disappointed, but this is a beautiful drama period piece character study and anyone who loves films is missing out. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2ppYB9fDo

JohnErle

Unforgiven (1992)
– Director: Clint Eastwood; starring Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman and Richard Harris. A no-nonsense, bad-ass, gritty western that shows the downside of being a gritty bad-ass. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrCuOdc5AGM

#100 on the collective list is now Evild Dead II.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Geez, I thought I already saw The Sandlot on your list when mine was put up, so I looked at all the other thread recaps, then thought, "well... I guess he's never seen it or didn't like it." It's easily my favorite baseball film of all time. The trailer showed way, way too much. I wish at least they wouldn't have showed James Earl Jones in it because that's a pleasant surprise at the end of the film. You gotta love the way Squints' life turned out and what he did at the pool, Hambino's chatter behind the plate (my brother used to do the same thing when he was a catcher), and the video I put up (the telling of the Beast story "For-e-ver." If you haven't seen it, you're probably "an L-7 wee-nie." :) I wish I had put it higher now.

I'm also happy that Planet of the Apes appeared for a second time. I think it's one of the top tier sci-fi greats, partly because of Serling's involvement, but mostly because it's awesome. I'm glad they didn't give much away from the trailer.

28 Days Later came really high on my list as well. Still my favorite zombie film easily even after seeing the George A. Romero masterpieces not too long ago.

Rosemary's Baby is on my Netflix queue because it's a Top 250 I have yet to see (I'm trying to get to all of them eventually), so I'll probably move it up to #1 or 2 now.