Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Post by Chienfantome »

You've only seen The Matrix out of these, Ozzy ?!?! Dude, you've got some films to see ! You've never seen Back to the Future and Star Wars !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sorry about that, Banks. I've added your film into the mix.

Wow, what a round. FIVE overlaps with my own list. And Chien is right, ozzy... if you haven't seen Star Wars or Back to the Future, then you have missed out. And if you have any soft spot for spoofs, you have to watch Airplane! It really is one of the greatest spoofs ever made. And speaking of spoofs, how come Blazing Saddles hasn't appeared on anyone's list yet?! (So far, the only Mel Brooks film to appear was Young Frankenstein, once.)

Chienfantome - Star Wars - One of the greatest films ever made. Period. Top 10 for me. (10/10)

Banks - The Breakfast Club - Another film that it's about time it appeared. Greatest teen film ever. (10/10)

undeadmonkey - The Matrix - #1, Geez? Top 5, maybe... It's made the lists of W, Chien, Ron B, surfer, myself, Barca and UDM. Is coming up for ozzy, and by your words, Geez, I'm assuming it's coming up on your list as well. (10/10)

leestu - The Princess Bride - Absolutely wonderful film. Hopefully will be around for generations. (10/10)

englishozzy - Back to the Future - Lots of love for this film. Not surprising. (9/10)

JohnErle - Airplane! - So many classic lines. They just don't make spoofs like this any more. The bit where Kareem reverts back to being Kareem again was brilliant. "You like gladiator movies, Jimmy?" (8/10)

Buscemi - Apocalypse Now - My favorte Coppola film. And apart from FMJ, maybe my favorite Vietnam-War-themed film. (8/10)

thegreenarrow - This is Spinal Tap - Should see this again some time. (6/10)

NSpan - Primer - I remember thinking how ingenious it was given its budget, but I remember almost nothing of the story. (6/1)

silversurfer - The Shining - Wow. Didn't expect this to appear this many times. (6/10)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare - Real Genius
Hmmm... That doesn't ring any bell. Never seen - or even heard of - it.

Surfer - The Shining
A chilling, thrilling, fascinating film from Kubrick, one of his very best, yes. I regret I haven't seen it in more than 10 years. Otherwise it would have certainly made my Top 100.

greenarrow - This is Spinal Tap
I really, really need to put my eyes in front of this film once and for all !! Damn. I really want to.

Dave Chappelle - Half Baked
Nope, I haven't seen this one. I don't think it's ever been distributed here. The most I know of Chappelle is from Gondry' Block Party.

Ozzy - Back to the future
This is one of the films I have watched the most in my life. A forever enjoyable ride through time that has made me dream for many years, and still does. I listed it a few rounds back.

Ron B - American Psycho
I've only seen it in theater, and honestly was much impressed by it. It was okay, but the book is so dense, it was hard to make a fully satisfying film out of it. It's overhyped, I'd say, but still watchable.

Buscemi - Apocalypse Now
Like The Shining, this is a film I regret I haven't seen in a long time. I remember I saw it when I was in highschool, so I was about 15 or 16, and haven't seen it ever since. It was a film with a strange and hypnotic atsmophere.

Six - Rashomon
Few films have challenged the way of narrating a feature like this film has with such style. A great film. I can't believe I haven't listed any Kurosawa film in my Top 100. Strange of me.

Banks - The Breakfast Club
I wondered when this would show up, as when it comes to 80's films about teen, you don't make much better than this. It aged very well for such a film, and the impact of it is still strong. From the writing to the acting, it's all very good. Excellent choice Banks.

Barca - No Man's Land
There was a time I hated this film. Not because of its cinematographic qualities, because it is an excellent film, both a tight suspense and an interesting political declaration. It's a really good film, but I still hated it. Because it won the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar over Amelie, while I really thought Amelie would win. But hey, the french aren't lucky with the Oscars, if A Prophet can't get it as well, and "Of Gods and Men" isn't even nominated.

Geezer - BASEketball
I caught it on TV a few years ago, and I was very disappointed coming from the creators of South Park. It was extremely forgettable.

Leestu - The Princess Bride
A childhood favourite that still feels like a great watch. The writing, from the characters to the dialogues, is fantastic.

W - Bio-Dome
Hmmmm... Like Shryke's film today, here's one I haven't even heard of.

NSpan - Primer
The first time I saw Primer was on DVD without french subtitles, and I don't think I had ever been that lost by a film. I didn't understand anything, but it felt great anyway. A couple of years later, surprisingly, the film was released in a Paris theater, I went to see it (yes ! french subtitles !), and it felt even greater, even though I discovered that it wasn't just my lack of english vocabulary that made it so hard understanding the first time... In the end it certainly is one of the most original and ambitious films ever made about time-travelling.

UDM - The Matrix
An emblematic film of the end of the last century, one that felt like nothing we had ever seen. It still is jubilatory to watch.

JohnErle - Airplane!
I don't think I've seen it since I was 12 or something like that, strangely. I've never been huge on the ZAZ, but I'm sure it would still make me laugh.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, Chien, W might argue differently, but if you had to choose between Real Genius and Bio-Dome, go with Real Genius. It's both smart AND funny, as opposed to just funny. Not that I've seen Bio-Dome, but I haven't heard any film with Pauly Shore in it called "smart". Of course, any film with "Genius" in the title you'd expect to be smart!

Here are some great lines from Val Kilmer in the movie:

Chris Knight: Do you mind if I name my first child after you? "Dipshit Knight" has a nice ring to it.

Chris Knight: Have you ever seen a body like this before in your life?
David Decker: She happens to be my daughter.
Chris Knight: Oh. Then I guess you have.

Chris Knight: Kent puts his name on his license plate.
Mitch: My mom does the same thing to my underwear.
Chris Knight: Your mom puts license plates in your underwear? How do you sit?

Chris Knight: So, if there's anything I can do for you, or, more to the point, to you, you just let me know.
Susan: Can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your penis?
Chris Knight: Not right now.
Susan: A girl's gotta have her standards.

[Chris is holding a lab beaker with pink liquid in it]
Chris Knight: Here Mitch, taste this. Go on, you won't hurt my feelings, just try it.
[Mitch takes a taste]
Chris Knight: What do you think, too sweet?
Mitch: What is it?
Chris Knight: I don't know, I found it in one of the labs.

Chris Knight: Don't eat that!
Girl at Party: Why?
Chris Knight: Don't you know that eating that stuff can give you very large breasts?
[looks down]
Chris Knight: Oh, my God! I'm too late!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I have to admit, Shryke, that the line about the license plate, and the one about the pink liquid, just made me laugh ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #24

englishozzy - Back to the Future (1985) - good choice, these few films that have shown up so many times already, it's hard to find anything new to say about them.

Ron Burgundy - American Psycho (2000) - one of those supposed great films that when i finally did see it, i had huge expectations and i hated it. I find nothing interesting or entertaining about seeing the life of a serial killer and a lot of the gore and other stuff was just there for shock factor.

Buscemi - Apocalypse Now (1979) - and another one of those classics that once i saw i asked huh?, just like above. I would totally disagree with you, it was a total waste of time. Brando was not good in it, he was awful. So far, having seen very few brando films and him being heralded as one of the greatest actors ever i was truly disappointed. yes, the technical quality of the movie is good, but it doesn't matter when the story is boring and drawn out for nothing. We also saw the documentary 'Hearts of Darkness' about making the movie which was infinitely more interesting than the movie itself, and that is just embarrassing.

Chienfantome - Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) - There's a few films i've always wanted to see in theaters and this is one of them, hopefully i will have the chance someday. great choice by the way.

leestu - The Princess Bride (1987) - yea, whats not to love, it's funny, there's adventure. Who doesn't dream of going on adventures. It's truly a shame so few fantasy films now just fail to deliver.

W - Bio-Dome (1996) – your probably right, this is one of the few movies that i truly hate for having wasted my time seeing it. I thought it was so stupid and i also want to punch pauly shore every time i see him. but good that you can enjoy it i guess

Haven't Seen

Shrykespeare - Real Genius (1985)

silversurfer - The Shining (1980)

thegreenarrow - This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

transformers - Half Baked (1998)

numbersix - Rashomon (1950)

BarcaRulz - No Man’s Land (2001)

Geezer - BASEketball (1998)

NSpan - Primer (2004) - will surely check this out

JohnErle - Airplane! (1980)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

A story about Apocalypse Now that I didn't mention before: this is one of my mother's most hated films. Back when my parents were dating (this was about 10-11 years before I was born and a year or two before they got married), they saw the movie in the theatre (it was my dad's turn to pick the movie). My mother just flat out hated it (she isn't a fan of war films) while my dad liked it (he'll watch almost anything). For many years, my mother would tell me how much she hated it until I saw the movie when I was about 14 and loved it.

Meanwhile my mother loved Kramer vs. Kramer so if anyone brings up the Apocalypse Now/Kramer vs. Kramer debate, she would be one of the few to side with the latter.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #26

Shrykespeare: Liar Liar (1997) – Despite some of your picks which have already appeared on here I really must say I'm quite surprised to see this appear on your list. I mean, really? Carrey is okay, I like him in a couple of his movies, but he can be much ,much funnier than in this. It seems so much like a cash in, nowhere near The Mask or Dumb and Dumber in terms of his comedy heights when talking about his manic style. The movie becomes so tired after just a few scenes, the schtick wears so thin so quickly. And on top of that the jokes just are not that funny. I suppose Carrey's likeable style makes it bearable, and not in any way a movie I'd hate, but it's just so middle of the road. (4.5/10)

silversurfer: Rear Window (1954)- Ron, you seriously haven't watched enough Hitchcock to not think he is THAT good. He really, really is.

thegreenarrow: Some Like It Hot (1959) - A thoroughly enjoyable movie with a great cast and so really riveting dialogue. Not one of my absolute favourites, but it is indeed a very funny movie. And Ron, I'm sorry but that is almost offensive. A movie can't be funny because its old? What about Shakespeare? He wrote some masterful comedies. Comedy is not defined by its age, any that are will soon be forgotten while classics remain. (8/10)

transformers: Hustle and Flow (2005) - Don't know if it's something I'd usually go for, but it has received quite a bit of acclaim so I'd probably give it a go if it was on tv. (N/A)

englishozzy: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - I'm actually surprised to see this has appeared so often already. Not that that's a bad thing, just never really though it was so well loved, especially considering so few of you have posted movies pre-1980. I personally prefer Brian, but when it's comedy this good it's hardly worth arguing over. (8/10)

Ron Burgundy: Die Hard (1989) - I remember writing a report when I was about 10 and I named this my favourite movie of the year (yeah, I probably should have been talking about something else but even back then I was obsessed with films! Probably the greatest straight action movie, and will unlikely ever be topped. (9/10)

Buscemi: Fargo (1996) - Well, I named it only a couple of rounds ago, so I obviously appreciate it just as much as you. I did enjoy The English Patient, and can see why it received it's Oscar (those kind of movies always seem to garner such attention, and anyway, the Oscars are littered with movies which SHOULD have won the award, so it's hardly an anomaly), even if I much prefer Fargo. (10/10)

Chienfantome: Gattaca (1997) – You are quite right, Chien. Despite the harshness and sparceness of the movie, it is indeed quite surprisingly warm. I also love the tension raised when the authorities check up on Law's apartment and feel his pain as he struggles up those steps despite his disability. It's a movie of ambitions, trying to achieve what you are not born to do. It fills you with hope. (9/10)

numbersix: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - Still haven't seen it, though I'm not sure if I feel the same way about Lean when it comes to his epic movies. Despite my love for Brief Encounter, when it comes to his longer movies, especially Doctor Zhivago, I found myself checking my watch. The pacing was just wrong in it. Hopefully this is different. (N/A)

Banks: True Romance (1993) - Yeah, compared to QT's other stuff this just doesn't come close, but it is entertaining and always worth a watch. (6/10)

BarcaRulz: Saving Private Ryan (1998) - Should probably watch this again as I really remember very little other than the opening. (6.5/10)

Geezer: Training Day (2001) - Denzel just isn't an actor I watch a movie for nowadays. He seems to always play the same characters, and it's just not something I'm interested in. (N/A)

leestu: The Exorcist (1973) - Yeah, it seems like I went into this movie with the wrong preconceptions, I was expecting one thing and got another. I really need to give it another go. (6/10)

W: The Wizard of Oz (1939) - While not one of my absolute all time favourites, it is a magical movie with some great scenes. It was a movie we watched when we were young at my grandparents house very often, and from the b/w opening to the transition to colour, it was if I'd never watched a colour movie before, it just became so brilliantly bright and awe inspiring. We watched it on the big screen again last year and it still maintained that magic. (9/10)

NSpan: Office Space (1999) – I think I may give Idiocracy another watch today, I think I enjoyed it the first time, but not as much as Office Space, maybe another viewing will help. (10/10)

undeadmonkey: Hotel Rwanda (2004) - I think I need to give this another watch too, as I remember the acclaim it received but found myself underwhelmed. Maybe that's the theme of this round for me, to give movies I'd previously dismissed another chance. (6/10)

JohnErle: The Blair Witch Project (1999) – I don't know six, I've seen it numerous times, and it still scares me. The atmosphere created is still just as chilling, not the night time scares, but the realisation that they are going round in circles, the sticks in the trees, it still freaks me out. An absolutely terrifying movie for me, and one I struggle to watch due to it's impact on me, but if I watch it I still get the chills. (8/10)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

silversurfer19 wrote:MOVIE #26

W: The Wizard of Oz (1939) - While not one of my absolute all time favourites, it is a magical movie with some great scenes. It was a movie we watched when we were young at my grandparents house very often, and from the b/w opening to the transition to colour, it was if I'd never watched a colour movie before, it just became so brilliantly bright and awe inspiring. We watched it on the big screen again last year and it still maintained that magic. (9/10)
Sorry to nitpick, but it's in sepia at the beginning.
Shryke wrote:Well, Chien, W might argue differently, but if you had to choose between Real Genius and Bio-Dome, go with Real Genius.
Nope, I'd probably recommend Real Genius. Mainly because I wouldn't want to piss off the Frenchman. If I were to recommend a film he's said he hasn't seen while doing this countdown, I'd recommend Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

A few random thoughts on recent picks:

Real Genius - Loved it when I was a kid but haven't seen it since the 80s. I'm afraid to watch it now since I suspect I'd be disappointed. Maybe it's better to leave my fond memories alone.

Gattaca - Liked it a lot. The kind of sci-fi that doesn't get made nearly often enough.

This Is Spinal Tap - I use clips from this movie on DRR between songs from time to time. Somehow, the drummer lives long enough to wind up with the best line: "As long as there's sex and drugs, I could do without the rock & roll."

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #25

Shrykespeare: Die Hard (1989) – completely agree, when it comes to action, you don't get much better. (9/10).

thegreenarrow: Amelie (2001) – A completely delightful movie, beautifully realised with charming performances. (10/10)

transformers: Space Jam (1996) - I kind of avoid anything with the newer Looney Tunes cartoons, mainly because they just are not funny anymore. Unfortunately I ended up watching this a few years ago with a friend who had a child. I'll never get those couple of hours back again. Discredits the name of WB animation. (2/10)

englishozzy: Snatch (2000) - I think you really NEED to be a fan of Lock Stock to enjoy this, and even then it's actually worse than it's predecessor. Adding more money and stars does not automatically make a movie better, and this was certainly the case. (3.5/10)

Ron Burgundy: The Usual Suspects (1995) - Indeed that moment of realisation is stunning, I love it. (10/10)

Buscemi: Casino (1995) - I'm not a fan of the genre, I didn't really get The Godfather series, didn't really appreciate Goodfellas, and I certainly didn't care for a movie which is the lesser of all those films. (5/10)

Chienfantome: Oldboy (2003) – That's so cool that you met him, when I find famous people I usually just go blank, stare and point. I kinda look a little bit crazy... Anyway, I finally picked up JSA recently so will be giving that a go, but this is my favourite Park Chan-Wook movie for the moment. (10/10)

numbersix: Sunset Boulevard (1950) - I don't know, I much prefer the straight noir, and especially movies like Double Indemnity over this. Don't get me wrong, it's very good, but it doesn't come close to some of Wilder's other movies, mainly due to Holden's performance. Had Montgomery Clift been able to play the role as he was supposed to, the movie would have been much better, but I found Holden's performance a little lacking, he doesn't come across as tragic as perhaps Wilder wanted him to. And while Swanson's performance is powerful, it too often falls into cliche where as someone like Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity achieves her character's socio-pathic nature much more subtely. Nevertheless, it's still a fascinating look into the world of Hollywood, and how clinging onto such dreams always lead to tragedy. (8/10)

Banks and Barca: The Prestige (2006) - Didn't think this would get so much acclaim on here, thought everyone would much prefer Nolan's other movies. Good movie though. (8/10)

Geezer: American History X (1998) - Completely agree, Norton is phenomenol in this and it does stay with you long, long after. (9/10)

leestu: A Clockwork Orange (1971) - A theatrical screening would be great, but I love it nevertheless. (10/10)

W: The Scout (1994) - Sorry, just doesn't appeal to me, whether it's about sports or not. (N/A)

NSpan: Wake Up, Ron Burgundy / Anchorman (1994) – I'll check out those clips later, as I enjoyed Anchorman and always wondered what was the difference between the two movies. (7/10)

undeadmonkey: Gladiator (2000) - Phoenix was great, Crowe was not. Not as good as it should have been. (5/10)

JohnErle: L.A. Confidential (1997) – Didn't think this would appear again. It's been a while but it was pretty good last time I watched it, with strong performances throughout. (7.5/10)
Last edited by silversurfer19 on January 27th, 2011, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Just have to say, I must have watched Space Jam 50 times as a kid. Love it!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Have you watched the original Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies (as in the 1940s-1950s Chuck Jones cartoons)? I mean, they are genius. I may be wrong, but I suspect a large dose of nostalgia is tinting a lot of your impressions on the movie.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Yeah, I guess I can say I "loved" Space Jam too, but I haven't seen it all the way through since I was like 10. And I doubt I'd be able to sit through it as an adult. But I'd show to my kids in a heartbeat, whenever I find some.

Still love the Monstars though.

And, also, I think this is the first time I'm realizing that Weird Science and Real Genius are not, in fact, the same movie. I haven't seen either, but I always thought they were different titles of the same movie, for some reason.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Weird Science is about two kids making a girl with their computer. One of the kids played the villain in Edward Scissorhands and appeared in The Dark Knight. Real Genius is about a teenage genius and Val Kilmer raising hell at Caltech and defying Walter Peck from Ghostbusters. And it's also got a house filled with popcorn (because Walter Peck doesn't like popcorn).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr