Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #22

Shrykespeare: I, Robot (2004) – I think it was Banks who picked this earlier in the countdown and I said I'd give it a go as I hadn't seen it until that point. Well, over the course of time since then I have been able to watch it, and to be honest it wasn't really that great. Smith was likeable as ever as the lead, but I didn't think there was too much depth to all the gloss. It felt like Proyas had been asked to direct a big blockbuster along the same lines of Minority Report but didn't even reach that level of quality. A shame, as Proyas showed such promise with The Crow and Dark City. (5/10)

thegreenarrow: Sleepy Hollow (1999) - For me it's Burton's last true classic (though Big Fish is very enjoyable also), with great performances all round and a fascinatingly gothic story. And you just can't beat Christopher Walken as the Headless Horseman. (10/10)

transformers: Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - I actually found the pace a little off on this one. Most of the scenes in Rohan, and especially the scenes in Fangorn seem to last forever, but no doubt the battle at the end is the best of the series. Gollum was brilliantly realised too, Jackson was able to perfectly recreate my vision of him which I'd held for so long. Good, but not great though. (7/10)

englishozzy: The Bourne Identity (2002) - This is the only movie of the Bourne series I've watched properly, although I've seen a little of the final movie. It was okay, a decent action flick with a bit of nouce behind it too. And I'm with six, it's almost certainly the reason Bond was rebooted. But this was not the break out movie you seem to suggest for Damon, he was well on the scene by this point, it probably just moved him into action movies more than dramas I suppose. (6.5/10)

Ron Burgundy: Se7en (1995) - My second favourite Fincher movie too, and I'm pretty sure your favourite is probably the same as mine too! Good pick, great thriller. (10/10)

Buscemi: A Woman Under The Influence (1974) - Is this not the second appearance of this movie? I'm sure six picked it too. I recently watched Alice Isn't Here Anymore and Burstyn was brilliant in that too, so if Rowlands was even close to that performance then I'm sure this will be a great movie. I can't say I've watched any Cassavetes yet but I fully intend to. (N/A)

Chienfantome: Pulp Fiction (1994) - Correct, completely deserving of his awards for this movie, brilliantly crafted movie with so many elements coming together so well. (10/10)

numbersix: The Seventh Seal (1957) - I think I'm right in thinking that this is probably the movie which has been on my to see list for the longest of all my movies. It seems to be this iconic movie which I just don't have the possibility of ever seeing, it's never on sale in the shops here and never, ever on tv. However, that was until the other day, when I found it was available at our local library, and I'll be picking it up in a few days. Really can't wait.... (N/A)

Banks: The Lion King (1994) - While I agree there are so many metaphors within the movie and so stunning animation, I just can't class it as a favourite because Timon and Pumba wear very thin very quick, and the adult Simba and Narla are just nauseating (not to mention some shocking music). But Scar and the hyenas were indeed some of the greatest villains Disney has created (8/10).

BarcaRulz: Amelie (2001) - A sudden rush of support for this isn't there. Great to see and its rewatchability factor certainly helps. (10/10)

Geezer: Good Will Hunting (1997) - Still haven't seen this, but I do intend to someday soon. (N/A)

leestu: The Birds (1963) - Yikes, those Aussie magpies! I remember my sister once had a seagull swoop and steal her bag of chips, sorry french fries, when she was quite young, and she was traumatized by that. Birds are such a mysterious creature despite their familiarity, and to think they were once the dominant species on the planet when they were huge (I remember watching a BBC doc a few years ago on dinosaurs and for a period giant birds were the leading species), makes you quite terrified to think. Hitch used that suspicion of birds brilliantly and it's such a terrifying movie, even today. (7/10)

W:Scarface (1983) - Yeah the direction was way over the top and the movie itself way too long. Some potential, but ultimately a big letdown. (4/10)

NSpan: Goodfellas (1990) - I've recently gotten into some early Scorcese, having watch Alice and rewatched Taxi Driver again the other night, while Mean Streets is on this week, so I think I'm finally starting to appreciate his work, as up until that point I'd only really loved Raging Bull. I should probably give this era another go, as while I'm not a fan of the genre per se, I do remember liking this more than The Godfather series. (7/10)

undeadmonkey: Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) - While I personally believe it's all in her head, and a means to escape for the brutality of reality, you are quite correct, it doesn't matter one way or another, and it's quite brilliant. Del Toro's masterpiece and I think it will eventually be hailed on of the classics of this century. (10/10)

JohnErle: Quiz Show (1994) – I don't believe I've ever seen it before, but that's a great cast so I'll look out for it. (N/A)

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Quiz Show is a really good film, SS. And I found The Seventh Seal on YouTube, I believe.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It seems our Shrykemaster had another trouble login last night... ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sorry for the lateness. DIdn't hear from SS and TGA until late and I wasn't feeling well.

MOVIE #21

Shrykespeare

Wall-E (2008)
– Director: Andrew Stanton; starring Ben Burtt, Jeff Garlin and John Ratzenberger. An absolute modern-day masterpiece. I would never have thought you could convince me that two robots could fall in love, but by the end, I was totally on board. An almost disturbing view of the future, when Earth is so covered with trash that humans had to leave, becoming bloated, lazy creatures devoid of ambition, so it takes a quirky little automated trash-compactor to help teach us the error of our ways. Visually beautiful and emotionally stirring, WALL-E is one of the single most amazing animated experiences I think I will ever have. It almost pains me to keep it out of my Top 20, but, having looked extensively at my remaining picks, I just can’t make the move. (8th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alIq_wG9FNk

silversurfer

Toy Story (1995)
– Director: John Lasseter; starring Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Don Rickles and Jim Varney. While I grew up with the classics of Disney such as Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid and The Lion King, while also watching their older classics on video religiously, nothing could have prepared me for what Pixar was to offer. Combining superb modern animation with an original but at the same time very relatable story of friendship, Toy Story was a complete breath of fresh air. Disney had began to go stale with Aladdin and Pocahontas, Pixar offered something completely different, and I loved it. The animation was like nothing I'd seen before, so innovative and it essentially raised the bar and transformed all animated movies which followed. But beyond that, the real magic is nothing to do with the technique; it's because of the soul of the movie, every viewer, no matter their age, return to their own playtime as their inner child is released. It's truly the most delightful animated movie ever made, a thrilling ride with some iconic characters, all in the name of friendship. While there have been a couple of sequels which have further developed the story, nothing comes close to the original, and I have no doubt that within 50 years it will still be just as powerful a movie, a truly timeless classic. (9th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYz2wyBy3kc

thegreenarrow

Leon (1994)
- Director Luc Besson; starring Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman. I am a great fan of Jean Reno, he's such an underrated actor (mainly because he picks so many poor movies); he plays the silent but deadly assassin so well here, while Gary Oldman is a superbly terrifying bad guy. I love the metaphor for Leon, a man with no roots who carries his plant around with him, we know nothing of the man, nothing of his past, and it leaves you so intrigued. My favourite scene is when Portman comes up the flight of stairs with her groceries, only to see the slaughter of her family and quickly look for a haven in Leon's apartment. It feels like a lifetime as she waits at his door ringing his bell, the tension is so great. But while also being a great action movie with some terrific fight scenes, it's the relationship Portman's character and Leon which drives the movie so well, the father-daughter relationship is so great to watch, a simple but effective partnership. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcsirofJrlM

transformers

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
- Director: Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones; starring John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Gilliam and Eric Idle. Monty Python's humor is so irreverent and silly, but it's so clever and amusing at the same time. The Holy Grail is one of the most laugh-out loud funny films I have ever seen. It's a timeless classic that is just as fresh and uproarious as it was when it was released 36 years ago. (8th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno
(my favorite scene)

englishozzy

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
- Director: Michael Gondry; starring Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Elijah Wood and Mark Ruffalo. This film swept under the radar a little bit when it was first released, as it never got much publicity. Thankfully, through word-of-mouth more and more people got to see this film as it is something a movie fan wouldn't want to miss. Charlie Kaufman's first full screenplay brings a romantic comedy to a whole new level. Carrey and Winslet are superb as Joel and Clementine and bring a real chemistry to their on-screen relationship. Not a film to take your girlfriend to go see on a first date as this is neither particularly funny or very romantic but still possesses a true heart and soul. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GiLxkDK8sI

Ron Burgundy

Iron Man (2008)
- Director: Jon Favreau; starring Robert Downey Jr, Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow and Terence Howard. Still one of the best superhero movies ever. I remember seeing this at the cinema, walking out actually sad that it was finished and wanting more. But sadly the sequel just did not live up to this, we may never know if it could have been equal, but I believe it could have been if Favreau had his way. Some excellent action in this too. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIFaeqwES1Y

Buscemi

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Director: Irvin Kershner; starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, and James Earl Jones. The second part of the original Star Wars manages to be just as good as the first. As with any good sequel, it advances the plot further without making the audience tired and creates new elements that don't become a distraction. New characters such as Yoda and Lando become well-written characters and nice counterparts for Luke and Han. Scenes such as the Battle of Hoth and the first Luke-Vader fight manage to be both dark and crowd-pleasing while adding to the story. Kirshner's direction and the screenplay by Leigh Brackett (her last screenplay before she passed away) and Lawrence Kasdan add to the events on screen. A great middle chapter for the trilogy. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6bvuhPyq8Q

Chienfantome

La Haine (1995)
– Director : Mathieu Kassovitz, starring Vincent Cassel, Saïd Taghmaoui, Hubert Koundé. Some films I love for their beauty. Some for their message. Some for their creativity. Some are straight punches in the face. La Haine is such a punch. Not only is it a cinematographic punch, a film so well crafted it brings you to your knees, but it is (or at least was) also a social and political punch. La Haine follows three friends, one Jew, one Arab and one Black. The three of them are in their 20’s, the three of them live in a Paris suburb considered hot and violent. The three of them are likable but viewed as delinquents by the police and by anyone who’s not living in their hood. La Haine chronicles one day of their life. A day during which they will go wandering in Paris. A day of fun, of boredom, and of violence. Kassovitz, who was only 27 when he directed La Haine, shot the film in black and white, with an amazing sense of direction (no wonder he got the Best Director Prize at the Cannes Film Festival that year). His screenplay is filled with encounters that mix laughter with tension. It’s a film that strangely seems to be at the same time very improvised and perfectly mastered. It’s a film that made a lot of noise in France, for what it showed of the youth from the suburbs, of the voice it gave to them. It’s a powerful film that embarks you on an urban journey in the mid 90s. It’s a film that will fascinate you, and punch you. And you will love it. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hldyU3rgps4

numbersix

Blade Runner (1982)
- Director: Ridley Scott; starring Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young and Daryl Hannah. Firstly let me say that this pick is certainly not the original cut released in theatres in 1982. It’s actually the Director’s Cut, which should come as no surprise. Ridley Scott created a stunning neo-noir sci-fi. The plot is probably known to all: a cyborg (or “replicant”) hunter is taken out of retirement to track down and dispose of a group of escaped extraordinary models, led by one named Roy Batty. But the film transcends the detective model of its plot, or its lavish special effects (which have barely aged and look better than most CGI). The Director’s Cut hints at a sort of twist but it’s never made explicit. I won’t spoil it, but even without knowing that the film’s genius is of course in its questioning of what it is to be human. The irony is that the replicants are more human than the humans. They emote more, they care more. Batty has one of cinema’s finest speeches (“like tears in the rain”, just watch the clip below), while the humans barely communicate. And is their journey not one we all would make in their situation? It’s this kind of subversion that elevates the film beyond what we see and hear, and it’s what makes the film stick with us. The visuals and distinct soundtrack do help though. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzA_xesrL8

Banks

Do the Right Thing (1989)
- Director: Spike Lee; starring Spike Lee, John Turturro, Danny Aiello, Ossie Davis and Rosie Perez. Most likely, Do The Right Thing is a perfect movie about the racial troubles America was experiencing, and has been since the inception of this country. It does what any good commentary does: take a social problem and exaggerate it to make people take notice. Except that the situation in Do The Right Thing isn’t as big of an exaggeration as most people would like to believe – racial violence is still prevalent in today’s America. Just google Oscar Grant. I love the message, I love the performances, I even love some of the random scenes that Spike throws in; the “Love vs, Hate” speech and the famous race rant are both standouts. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOxOR3x8FBQ

BarcaRulz

Rashomon (1950)
- Director: Akira Kurosawa; starring Toshiro Mifune, Machiko Kyo and Massayuki Mori. By far my favorite Asian movie, and the only one you will see appearing on my list. Have only recently had the privilege of watching it all in one go, and I was blown away. I love the simple, yet effective, idea that even without lying peoples perspectives can differ greatly even when recounting the same incident. Everyone goes through this everyday, if you watch football (the REAL football, not hand-egg) then perception is the difference between an offside and a goal. If you are having a discussion, then perception can change with a single hand gesture. If you are typing on a forum then perception can change according to the tone a person reads your post in. It's all in the detail, and I love this film for taking that notion on. Even now I’m 99.9% sure that Geezer took my ever-so-playful mention of hand-egg as insult to everything American, and his perception of that will make him come at me :P. (5th appearance, 4th in this thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZ9TguVOIA

Geezer

The Wrestler (2008)
- Director: Darren Aronofsky, starring Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood. Instead of writing a whole new perspective on this film, I'm just going to give you the link to the review I wrote on the film when I first watched it. I still feel exactly the same way that I did then, and I think the review sums it up quite nicely. (3rd appearance)

http://www.reelsociety.com/2008/12/17/thewrestler.html

leestu

American Graffiti (1973)
- Director: George Lucas; starring Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Cindy Williams, Paul Le Mat, Mackenzie Phillips and Harrison Ford. I didn’t grow up in the 60’s, I was never into cars, and never went cruising when I first learned to drive yet I love this movie. In my opinion the second best coming of age movie ever. The best is coming up tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Jo1gH89VM

W

King Kong (1933)
- Director: Merian C. Cooper, Starring: Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong and Bruce Cabot. "'Kong' was never intended to be anything but the best damned adventure film ever made, which it is; and that's all it is." - King Kong Creator/Director Merian Cooper. Though true that it's easily one of the best adventure films of all time, it isn't true that the film has nothing more going for it. It's also a tale of unrequited love, a starlet's aspirations, and--like Frankenstein--that even monsters have a soft side among other things. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSLN23h3Lo

NSpan

Reservoir Dogs (1992)
– Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen and Steve Buscemi. Pulp Fiction was a true game-changer. But that isn't to say Reservoir Dogs didn't have a SIGNIFICANT impact on the world of film. It redefined "cool" and--for better or worse--spawned a new generation of filmmakers who embraced QT's retro-chic style and glorification of violence (...let's not get derailed on that last part. I have no problem with violence in my entertainment, but the approach to it is worth noting here). We could go back and forth about QT's (lack of) originality. If there's any doubt left in your mind about Reservoir Dogs being a unique story or not, just rent City on Fire. That said, it doesn't really matter. Every artist borrows/steals--whether it be consciously or subconsciously. To me, the art of entertainment (since the beginning of civilization) has been little more than the art of piggybacking on what came before. It's just a matter of presentation. If it resonates with the contemporary (or even a future) audience, it's a success. I find it funny that I happen to be listening to Led Zeppelin as I write this: a perfect parallel. There isn't a single original idea on Led Zepp's first three (or arguably four) albums. Nonetheless, these guys were fucking PIONEERS. Sure, they cobbled together entire records from stolen ideas. But look at what they DID with it! That's how I view Tarantino. He may not be a *creative* genius, but his work is canon and his impact immeasurable. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvoKT481EmU

undeadmonkey

Princess Mononoke (1997)
- Director: Hayao Miyazaki; starring Yôji Matsuda, Yuriko Ishida and Yûko Tanaka. This is another amazing film that has a heart unlike almost any other. The beauty, the danger, the innocence captured in this film is almost a miracle. Yes, some of the main morals aren’t subtle (others are though), but it doesn’t go too far to make it feel preachy. Like the opening, one of the forest gods is wreaking havoc on innocent people and the land because he is poisoned by hatred. Obviously it’s clear what is meant by it, but it isn't heavy handed and just put in to preach. It is that what sets the whole story into motion, the poison infected the hero and to be healed he must travel to where this poison originated. Along the way, he encounters love and hate and danger, and the simple ways of the past caught in the crossroads with the industrial future. This is a prime example of why I love animated films. There is no way a live action film could bring all these feelings and emotions of this story to life the way the beautiful drawings of Miyazaki does. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4pxURy5-I

JohnErle

Eight Men Out (1988)
– Director: John Sayles; starring John Cusack, Clifton James, Michael Lerner and Christopher Lloyd. A fascinating true story well told with an amazing cast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acah_GNr0i0
(couldn't find a trailer, only this one tiny clip)

As of #21, here is the Top 25. I will not be posting updates on this any more until we are done, because after we are finished, I will post the list, several at a time, along with the movie's poster, trailer, and data, in reverse order. (appearances, total points)

25. Saving Private Ryan (5, 1465)
24. The Prestige (5, 1480)
23. The Shawshank Redemption (5, 1510)
22. Reservoir Dogs (6, 1572)
21. The Silence of the Lambs (6, 1638)
20. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (6, 1644)
19. Brazil (6, 1680)
18. Rashomon (5, 1695)
17. The Big Lebowski (6, 1836)
16. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1860)
15. Full Metal Jacket (7, 1918)
14. A Clockwork Orange (6, 1920)
13. Se7en (6, 1944)
12. The Usual Suspects (6, 2028)
11. Children of Men (6, 2166)
10. Jurassic Park (7, 2170)
9. The Shining (7, 2387)
8. The Matrix (7, 2464)
7. Die Hard (7, 2534)
6. Amelie (7, 2821)
5. Office Space (8, 3048)
4. Shaun of the Dead (8, 3080)
3. Wall-E (8, 3152)
2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (8, 3312)
1. Toy Story (9, 4608)

I'll post the thread in its entirety later today. Please, everyone, start getting me your lists for the next thread!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hope you're feeling better, Shryke!

Anyway, I'll combine my usual summary of average with the movies picked.

MOVIE #21

Shrykespeare: Wall-E (2008) – Well this has surprisingly divided the board. I'm on the side that leads towards the good. Very impressive opening sequence, and the second half has a worth message. Good pick. Overall your picks were solid, containing nothing terrible but you did have the awesome Die Hard.

Round Average– 6.25

silversurfer: Toy Story (1995) – On my list too, unsurprisingly. A beautiful film and it's one of my favourite animations. You had an excellent round, as per usual, and you still lead with most shared films, which now amount to 26! That's over a quarter of my films. High fives and beers all round.
Round Average– 8.4

thegreenarrow: Leon (1994) - It's something I loved as a teen (including one major crush on Miss Portman) but have never wanted to return. But it certainly is a good film and well directed. Sadly, I've never liked any of Besson's other films. A very solid round for you with not even one mediocre film. You and your fella have influenced each other well!
Round Average– 7.3

transformers: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - After 8th appearance there's really not much else I can say besides how hilarious this film is, and always will be. A great pick and a decent round for you, improving on the last.
Round Average– 6.83

englishozzy: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - A film I change my mind about every time I watch it, but right now I like but don't love it. An okay round for you, with Snatch being the only film I truly didn't like.
Round Average– 6.44

Ron Burgundy: Iron Man (2008) - As blockbusters go, this is pretty entertaining stuff. But not deserved of any Top 100, let alone a Top 25! I guess last round was an exception as you're back to your usual average, which is still good.
Round Average– 6.67

Buscemi: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - My favourite Star Wars film and it's a brilliant way to continue a story.. by making it darker and deeper, and besting the origina in terms of scale and excitement. Love it. Another good round from you, and A Woman Under the Influence is a great choice! Only Casino and MYstic River brought your average down a tad.
Round Average– 7

Chienfantome: La Haine (1995) – An amazing, powerful, visceral film. It's both stylish and makes you feel like you're in that world of highrises. It's like the spiritual brother of City of God. Definitely in my Top 150. And this is a great end to an unbelievably exceptional round from you. Seriously, I think of the 9 films I've seen, 7 are in my Top 100. So naturally this is round's average is not only your best, but the best out of anyone else so far. I can't wait to see your Top 20! Despite not seeing a lot of your films, we share 15 movie in our Top 100.
Round Average– 9.11!!!

Banks: Do the Right Thing (1989) - Wow, I wasn't expecting this to appear so much, and obviously I'm glad it did I can think of two regulars who will disagree!). A great film about a troubling issue. The rest of your list was mostly films I don't love but can respect.
Round Average– 6.78

BarcaRulz: Rashomon (1950) - Wow, you have to only person who can refer to sports (I also laughed at the term hand-egg) when appreciating Kurosawa's masterpiece! But your point can't be denied. A brilliant film about a subject as immense as the notion of "truth". An excellent round for you, and thanks for reminding me about No Man's Land.
Round Average– 7.13

Geezer: The Wrestler (2008) - I rewatched this a few months back and it still held its own. A great step for Aronofsky (and personally I think it's better than Black Swan) and a stunning performance from Rourke. SAdly that was one of the few films from your round that I truly liked, and there's a few that I just don't like in any way.
Round Average– 5.89

leestu: American Graffiti (1973) - I'm not a fan of those nostalgia-for-the-past movies that somewhat distort the past into this beautiful, meaningful place. Maybe I was more angsty than others, but I think films about growing up should capture more of the pain of life. But this was the worst pick of an otherwise excellent round for you. Good to see someone else like The Exorcist too!
Round Average– 7.7

W: King Kong (1933) - Everyone knows the story, but I don't think I've seen all of this. I tried watching Jackson's remake again during the holidays and just couldn;t. The dialogue is awful. As for your round, even though I haven't seen the films I don't think I'd like, there wasn't a huge amount to appreciate. Sorry!
Round Average– 5.4

NSpan: Reservoir Dogs (1992) – Like you say, everyone rips off someone previous to them. What QT essentially does is offer a fascinating pick-n-mix of previous styles, genres, even scenes. And the results can be great, like this riviting heist film. A good pick in a great round (excluding Grindhouse ;)), and anyone who picks Primer is fine by me.
Round Average– 7.11

undeadmonkey: Princess Mononoke (1997) - We may disagree a lot about what is a good or bad film, but I totally agree about this film. Amazing stuff, with a basic message dealt with in a manner that's more complex than most other animations. Brilliant film. A decent round for you overall.
Round Average– 6.58

JohnErle: Eight Men Out (1988) – Never seen it, though Sayles has never blown me away as a film-maker. But he usually has interesting ideas in his flicks. A good round for you, though there's a few I haven't seen.
Round Average– 6.25

In total 68 films from my list has appeared on the lists of others. That's quite a lot.

BONUS LIST
Just for kicks (okay, I was bored) I broke down my Top 100 by language. Here it is:

English 79
Japanese 4
French 4
Swedish 3
German 3
Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese) 2
Italian 2
Korean 1
Portuguese 1
Russian 1

No real surprise that English dominates, but I never thought French and Japanese would be joint second. You should be proud, Chien. Swedish is an anomaly as it's really only one director. What about you guys, what are your language breakdowns like?

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Bonus List:

English - 80
Spanish - 3
German - 2
Italian - 3
French - 7

These are the only ones with multiples, the others are one-offs. Obviously I like my French movies. I'm also nearly keeping true to my 20% foreign films stat with another 3 coming up in my top 20.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #21

Shrykespeare: Wall-E (2008) – I watched Idiocracy again the other day, I wonder if any of the Pixar team watched it before filming this with their future vision of a trash mound taking over the Earth? Anyway, great opening, one of the greatest first 30 minutes of animation I've ever seen, dipped a little once on the ship, but still fantastic never the less. (8/10)

thegreenarrow: Leon (1994) - My favourite Besson movie by a long shot, and a stunning tale of friendship despite their obvious differences. Oldman in chilling. (10/10)

transformers: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - Certainly didn't think this would get as much respect as it has, I mean, most of the board were not born for years after this was made, and considering how few of you actually rate movies pre-1980 I guess that says something for how funny this must be to get so much love. (8/10)

englishozzy: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - I never get that 'first date' rule on what to take your date to see. I took Helena to see Monsters Inc. for our first date, don't get much better than that! I think this is a beautifully told tale and would be perfect for a first date. Didn't appreciate it as much on first viewing but it is absolutely spellbinding. (8/10)

Ron Burgundy: Iron Man (2008) - Why do you believe Favreau did not get his way on the movie? It feels very much like his kind of movie, I just think Favreau is not as great as everyone makes him out to be after one very good movie. People were probably expecting too much of him, I know I was, and in the end not everyone can make a superior sequel to the original like TDK. I just felt everything had been rushed a little bit, I would have liked a much more darker story which delved further into Tony's drinking issues but it seemed to be swept under the carpet. Anyway, onto this movie, it was a breath of fresh air, I wasn't expecting anything monumental despite the cast, but it was fun and entertaining, and I put that largely down to RDJ. Favreau may have received the plaudits, but I'm yet to see him make another GREAT movie. (8/10)

Buscemi: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) -Stunning movie which I expect to see at least a couple of times more. (10/10)

Chienfantome: La Haine (1995) – I don't think I got as much from it as you, and maybe I need to watch it a second time, but I do remember it being quite a brutal and realistic movie, with good performances. (7/10)

numbersix: Blade Runner (1982) - Completely agree with your comments, a soulful movie which really hits home at what it means to be human, the emotions it can bring forward are immense, and visually and audibly its stunning. (10/10)

Banks: Do the Right Thing (1989) - I was very surprised when I first watched this, despite the enthusiasm on here for it, as I just didn't believe the movie could be so powerful a message. Very well made, funny, shocking and important. I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to see it. (9/10)

BarcaRulz: Rashomon (1950) - Interesting analysis of the movie, but spot on. Brilliant concept and fantastically realised. Now get some more Asian dvds (Wong Kar Wai movies, Yasujiro Ozu movies, Park Chan-Wook movies - you can't go wrong with any of their stuff), they deserve just as much respect as your obvious love for the French stuff!

Geezer: The Wrestler (2008) - I need to give this another watch soon, we have it on dvd and I loved it in the cinema. Such a powerfully emotive performance from Rourke and well supported by the rest of the cast. We get to watch Black Swan finally today so I am looking forward to it very much. (9/10)

leestu: American Graffiti (1973) - I only watched this for the first time a few months ago and absolutely loved it, a brilliant take on one night during that era. It looks like so much fun, but with an underlying darkness to it. A fantastic coming of age movie. Now what will be your favourite? Stand By Me? (8/10)

W: King Kong (1933) - I watched this for the first time only a few months before Jackson's Kong was released, and to be honest, this is leagues better than his version. Brilliantly acting, stunning effects for its time, and a totally entertaining movie. Haven't watched it again since but will do so when I get the chance. (8/10)

NSpan: Reservoir Dogs (1992) – Your relation of QT to Led Zep is spot on, he (and they) took samples of greatness from the past, and added his own spin to it, completely transforming the idea into his own. The heist concept has been done many times before, and QT brought it into this generation with style and pinache. No doubt in a few years someone will take elements of his work and create something new, and that director will too be hailed genius by some and a copycat by others, but nevertheless, if someone can put a fresh spin on something old, give it relevance and not just imitate the original, then it is worthy. (10/10)

undeadmonkey: Princess Mononoke (1997) - I completely agree, there is subtlety in Miyazaki's work, and he explores his narratives so beautifully. Along with Pixar, Studio Ghibli is the most creative, innovative and delightful animation studio working today, and long may it continue. (10/10)

JohnErle: Eight Men Out (1988) – Have never seen nor heard of it. Don't really think I've watched any of Sayles' movies before, though I would like to see Matewan, but will keep an eye out for this too. (N/A)

Like six, 68 of my movies have appeared so far, which is more than I anticipated.

For the bonus list:

English Language: 86
French: 6
Japanese: 4
Spanish: 2
Italian: 1
Korean: 1
Chinese: 1

For me that feels quite bad, considering how many foreign language movies I love. But obviously I love English speaking ones just that little bit more!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

On Wall-E and Idiocracy: I imagine it was pure coincidence that both focus around trash-covered planets. Wall-E began its development in 1992 under the name Trash Planet. Idiocracy didn't come about until a few years after Office Space. By then, Wall-E was nearing the start of production (which went from Fall 2003 to Spring 2008).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I know, I very much doubt the Pixar team were scourging Mike Judge movies for inspiration, but it is quite a coincidence!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Wall-E
I will only very rarely complain about seeing a Pixar appear in a Top (*coughing*... Cars...), even though none of them appear in my Top 100. Wall-E is a beautiful film.

Surfer - Toy Story
Same here, although I haven't seen Toy Story in soomething like 15 years and barely remember it.

greenarrow - Leon
It's been at least 4 years since I last saw Leon. And as I have said before, I'm very conflicted about it. Sometimes I like it very much, sometimes it kind of bores me. Last time it bored I me I think... Not my favourite Besson, which is The 5th Element.

transformers - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
It's crazy, it's unexpected, and it's hilarious. A marvel.

Ozzy - Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
One of the greatest love story ever told, one of the craziest screenplay ever written, and one of the most audacious direction there is. Yes, it's clearly one of the greatest films ever made.

Ron B - Iron Man
A fun and enjoyable Hollywood ride, one of the coolest comic book adaptation, thanks in great part to Downey Jr.'s awesomeness.

Star Wars - The Empire Strikes back
This has always been the best proof that yes, a sequel can be better than the film it follows. Even though the first one already was unbelievably exciting.

Six - Blade Runner
Well, it only was a couple of rounds ago that I listed it myself, so I guess we share the same kind of love for this one, don't we ? I'll always be haunted by Hauer's monologue at the end of the film.

Banks - Do the right thing
Still haven't seen it...

Barca - Rashomon
Wow, it's really been very popular in this thread indeed. And I can't blame it, as it really is an impressive film that changed the art of storytelling.

Geezer - The Wrestler
An incredibly raw and powerful film, which reminds more of the European cinema than the American one. Rourke should have won the Oscar.

Leestu - American Graffiti
Wow, it's been more than a decade I think since I last saw this one. It was a light and very enjoyable film, but nothing that really troke me as amazing.

W - King Kong
Never seen this version.

NSpan - Reservoir Dogs
Tarantino is a cool, cinephile and imaginative screenwriter and director, and this was the first time we could notice it. Excellent film.

UDM - Princess Mononoke
I haven't seen it since theater in 99 or 2000, so I don't remember it that well, but I remember having a hard time delving into it, and yet being fascinated by it.

JohnErle - Eight Men Out
I've never seen that one.

As for the bonus list initiated by Six, here it goes (I thought there would have been less english-speaking films, and yet...)

English : 72
French : 14
Korean : 6
Chinese : 4
Japanese : 2
Spanish : 1
Italian : 1
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #21

transformers - The Holy Grail - Happy to see so much love for this film! I wonder if it will end up higher on my list than anyone else's... (10/10)

thegreenarrow - Leon/The Professional - Absolutely stellar film. Will be coming up in the next thread for me. (10/10)

Ron Burgundy - Iron Man - Just barely missed my list. (9/10)

Buscemi - The Empire Strikes Back - Also just barely missed my list. (9/10)

silversfure - Toy Story - As I've said, it's about in the middle of the list for Pixar movies for me, but still a great film. (8/10)

I have seen King Kong (the original) and Blade Runner, but it's been so long that I can't effectively rate them. Reservoir Dogs is on my list of films to definitely see this year.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #21

Shrykespeare - Wall-E (2008) – A piece of art is what it is. I still hold to my belief that Pixar is not in it for the money, but to entertain by telling amazing stories and in so doing elevate their films to more than most other riffraff (let's hope it stays that way even with their recent influx in sequels). So many other studios and people in the industry only care about the bottom line, so they sacrifice anything and everything to make that look better. Pixar is a shining beacon of hope that maybe other studios will finally take notice and see, if you create quality the people will come and then everyone will be happy.

silversurfer - Toy Story (1995) – it would be pointless to say what i think about it again after doing so 8 times before. just read the paragraph above again, which could go for this film just as well.... almost as wel ;)

transformers - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - Again pointless to voice my opinion, because if you've forgotten my opinion then it just means you didn't care enough to read my opinion about it. ;)

englishozzy - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - hmm, i was left underwhelmed when i was first recommended to it. I didn't have high expectations, maybe it was too early in on my way to deeper kind of films. maybe i didn't get it, i dont know. I must disagree about it being under the radar though. after seeing it, there is no way that could of broken out mainstream, it was really weird and hard to follow. Also i actually heard a lot about it when it came out from critics and such. Gondry's films are usually always talked about a lot. Maybe someday i can give it a second chance.

Ron Burgundy - Iron Man (2008) - the first one was enjoyable. i didn't think it was as great as everyone thought it was though, and the sequel lived up to my expectations. i enjoyed it just as much as the first.

Buscemi - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - great choice

numbersix - Blade Runner (1982) - I actually don't know which versions i saw the two times i saw it. I'm about 60% sure that i saw the directors cut the second time, but have no idea what i saw the first time. I was just so disappointed when i saw it. i had heard so many people talk about this film in such revered and even hushed tones, like this changed cinema, and even peoples lives, forever. I was so bored, nothing was interesting enough to me to hold my attention. again, remember i love this genre; i love these sort of stories, but nothing screamed to me, 'pay attention, this is iconic stuff happening here'. Sigh, maybe it's sort of like you experienced with Casablanca, that so many films had taken from it, it just feels lesser. if that makes any sense.

Geezer - The Wrestler (2008) - ooh, you know how i feel about it. no need to reiterate my rant again. glad you like it though and had such a profound experience, it's really fun when that happens.

Haven't Seen

thegreenarrow - Leon (1994)

Chienfantome - La Haine (1995)

Banks - Do the Right Thing (1989)

BarcaRulz - Rashomon (1950) - heh, i lol'ed when i read the 'hand-egg' comment. don't get me wrong i have nothing against american football or any sports in particular, i love going to live baseball games or sometimes watching football on tv, the superbowl is always a fun time. what gets me though is there are so many people that think 'their' team or whatnot is the end all, be all of life. that basically, it just turns me off. Seriously, i know people, even some family, that when their team loses, they mope around so badly that you'd think they are contemplating death and murder. Nothing so trivial should be worth ruining your day over. Heck, there are maybe a handful of thing which i would deem legitimate as things you could say ruined your day....... ooookay, tangent over

leestu - American Graffiti (1973)

W - King Kong (1933)

NSpa - Reservoir Dogs (1992)

JohnErle - Eight Men Out (1988)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Bonus List:

English-87
French-4
Japanese-3
Cantonese-1
Korean-1
Mandarin-1
Spanish-1
German-1
and 1 that couldn't decide - it's German/Russian/Polish/Hebrew.

Going back to an earlier bonus list that I've only just now done the tally for:

00's - 15
90's - 25
80's - 18
70's - 17
60's - 11
50's - 11
40's - 2
30's - 1

Although 90's dominate it's probably because I've seen more from that decade than any other. It's possibly the 70's that is my favourite era. I might only have 17 from that era but 14 of those 17 are in my top 50. Compare that to the 00's where only 3 are in my top 50. Also I have 4 from the 70's in my top 10 plus one from 1969 and one from 1980 (just missing out on being classified as the 70's).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Thread recap:

Shrykespeare
30. Die Hard: With a Vengeance
29. Weird Science
28. Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
27. The Matrix
26. Liar Liar
25. Die Hard
24. Real Genius
23. Big Trouble in Little China
22. I, Robot
21. Wall-E

silversurfer
30. Fargo
29. Rashomon
28. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
27. Spider-Man 2
26. Rear Window
25. Ghost Busters
24. The Shining
23. Amelie
22. The Terminator
21. Toy Story

thegreenarrow
30. Withnail & I
29. Wall-E
28. Shaun of the Dead
27. The Birds
26. Some Like It Hot
25. Amelie
24. This is Spinal Tap
23. The Shining
22. Sleepy Hollow
21. The Professional (aka Leon)

transformers
30. Friday
29. Office Space
28. 28 Days Later…
27. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
26. Hustle and Flow
25. Space Jam
24. Half Baked
23. Donnie Darko
22. LOTR: The Two Towers
21. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

englishozzy
30. Children of Men
29. The Lion King
28. Toy Story 2
27. The Nightmare Before Christmas
26. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
25. Snatch
24. Back to the Future
23. Harry Potter & Prisoner of Azkaban
22. The Bourne Identity
21. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Ron Burgundy
30. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
29. Trading Places
28. Thank You For Smoking
27. Old School
26. Die Hard
25. The Usual Suspects
24. American Psycho
23. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
22. Se7en
21. Iron Man

Buscemi
30. Inglourious Basterds
29. Scarface
28. The Shawshank Redemption
27. Schindler's List
26. Fargo
25. Casino
24. Apocalypse Now
23. Mystic River
22. A Woman Under the Influence
21. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Chienfantome
30. The Godfather
29. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
28. The Big Lebowski
27. The Party
26. Gattaca
25. Oldboy
24. Star Wars: A New Hope
23. Blade Runner
22. Pulp Fiction
21. La Haine

numbersix
30. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
29. Pulp Fiction
28. The Exorcist
27. Eraserhead
26. Lawrence of Arabia
25. Sunset Boulevard
24. Rashomon
23. Chinatown
22. The Seventh Seal
21. Blade Runner

Banks
30. Up
29. Bad Santa
28. Kill Bill Vol. I
27. Children of Men
26. True Romance
25. The Prestige
24. The Breakfast Club
23. Little Miss Sunshine
22. The Lion King
21. Do the Right Thing

BarcaRulz
30. Up
29. The Wrestler
28. The Kite Runner
27. The Matrix
26. Saving Private Ryan
25. The Prestige
24. No Man's Land
23. 12 Angry Men
22. Amelie
21. Rashomon

Geezer
30. Happy Gilmore
29. Back to the Future
28. Apollo 13
27. Transformers
26. Training Day
25. American History X
24. BASEketball
23. The Shawshank Redemption
22. Good Will Hunting
21. The Wrestler

leestu
30. Rear Window
29. To Kill a Mockingbird
28. Rebel Without a Cause
27. Rashomon
26. The Exorcist
25. A Clockwork Orange
24. The Princess Bride
23. Network
22. The Birds
21. American Graffiti

W
30. Happy Gilmore
29. The Wedding Singer
28. The School of Rock
27. Mr. Deeds
26. The Wizard of Oz
25. The Scout
24. Bio-Dome
23. Planet of the Apes
22. Scarface
21. King Kong

NSpan
30. Grindhouse
29. The Stöned Age
28. The Big Lebowski
27. Evil Dead II
26. Office Space
25. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
24. Primer
23. Aliens
22. Goodfellas
21. Reservoir Dogs

undeadmonkey
30. The Last King of Scotland
29. The Count of Monte Cristo
28. The Lookout
27. Children of Men
26. Hotel Rwanda
25. Gladiator
24. The Matrix
23. Some Like It Hot
22. Pan's Labyrinth
21. Princess Mononoke

JohnErle
30. North By Northwest
29. The Silence of the Lambs
28. Angel Heart
27. Jacob's Ladder
26. The Blair Witch Project
25. L.A. Confidential
24. Airplane!
23. Misery
22. Quiz Show
21. Eight Men Out

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

englishozzy (seen 54/80) - 17 overlaps, loved 12, liked 21, hated 4

This thread:
2 overlaps (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Back to the Future)
1 loved (The Bourne Identity)
4 liked (The Lion King, Toy Story 2, The Nightmare Before Christmas, HP & Prisoner of Azkaban)
1 hated (Children of Men)

I love you you keep picking movies I've seen!

Geezer (seen 52/80) - 16 overlaps, loved 15, liked 20, hated 1

This thread:
2 overlaps (Back to the Future, Shawhank Redemption)
2 loved (Apollo 13, Transformers)
1 liked (Happy Gilmore)

transformers (seen 46/80) - 18 overlaps, loved 14, liked 14, hated 0

This thread:
2 overlaps (LOTR: The Two Towers, Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
1 loved (28 Days Later)
1 liked (Space Jam)

And you still lead the league in overlaps! With no hates! Keep it up!

undeadmonkey (seen 44/80) - 9 overlaps, loved 16, liked 18, hated 1

This thread:
1 overlaps (The Matrix)
1 loved (Gladiator)
2 liked (The Lookout, Pan's Labyrinth)

Banks (seen 42/80) - 9 overlaps, loved 13, liked 16, hated 4

This thread:
2 overlaps (Kill Bill Vol. I, The Breakfast Club)
1 loved (Up)
2 liked (The Prestige, The Lion King)

Ron Burgundy (seen 42/80) - 7 overlaps, loved 21, liked 13, hated 1

This thread:
4 overlaps (Die Hard, The Usual Suspects, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Se7en)
2 loved (Trading Places, Iron Man)
1 liked (Old School)

Your best thread by a mile.

JohnErle (seen 38/80) - 8 overlaps, loved 11, liked 16, hated 3

This thread:
2 overlaps (Angel Heart, L.A. Confidential)
3 loved (Silence of the Lambs, Jacob's Ladder, Airplane!)
2 liked (Misery, Quiz Show)

Gread thread, dude!

W (seen 38/80) - 5 overlaps, loved 14, liked 18, hated 1

This thread:
3 liked (Happy Gilmore, Wizard of Oz, Scarface)

Wow, lots of Sandler this thread!

BarcaRulz (seen 34/80) - 12 overlaps, loved 12, liked 10, hated 0

This thread:
1 overlap (The Matrix)
2 loved (Up, Saving Private Ryan)
1 liked (The Prestige)

Zero hates! Keep it up!

Buscemi (seen 31/80) - 10 overlaps, loved 6, liked 14, hated 1

This thread:
2 overlaps (Inglourious Basterds, The Shawshank Redemption)
1 loved (The Empire Strikes Back)
4 liked (Scarface, Schindler's List, Fargo, Apocalypse Now)

By far your most active thread with me, Boosh.

NSpan (seen 31/80) - 9 overlaps, loved 5, liked 15, hated 2

This thread:
1 overlap (Aliens)
1 liked (Primer)
1 hated (Grindhouse)

leestu (seen 30/80) - 10 overlaps, loved 2, liked 15, hated 3

This thread:
2 overlaps (To Kill a Mockingbird, The Princess Bride)
1 liked (A Clockwork Orange)

thegreenarrow (seen 30/80) - 6 overlaps, loved 13, liked, 9 hated 1

This thread:
2 overlaps (Wall-E, The Professional)
1 loved (Sleepy Hollow)
2 liked (This is Spinal Tap, The Shining)

silversurfer (seen 27/80) - 8 overlaps, loved 5, liked 12, hated 2

This thread:
2 overlaps (Ghost Busters, The Terminator)
3 loved (Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade, Spider-Man 2, Toy Story)
2 liked (Fargo, The Shining)

Easily your best thread, SS.

numbersix (seen 26/80) - 7 overlaps, loved 7, liked 11, hated 1

This thread:
1 liked (Pulp Fiction)

Wow, that's it??

Chienfantome (seen 26/80) - 6 overlaps, loved 8, liked 7, hated 5

This thread:
2 overlap (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Star Wars)
1 loved (Pulp Fiction)
2 liked (The Godfather, Gattaca)

No hates this thread! Yay!!