Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote: NSpan - Aliens - I think I've seen the extended version once. I remember the scene with Newt's family, but I don't remember what happened regarding Ripley's daughter. Can you enlighten me (in spoilers, if necessary)? (9/10)
Well, it's not realy integral to the plot, but Ripley is told that she was pregnant during the hypersleep between Alien and Aliens, and her child died. This explains her maternal instinct towards Newt. NSpan believes this is essential, but personally I got the maternal thing without knowing about a daughter, so I don't think it's necessary.
Ripley wasn't pregnant in hypersleep. She expected to be home from the events in the first film in time for her daughter's 11th birthday. in Aliens SE, Burke gives her the news that, in the time between the two movies, her daughter had lived a full life and died at the age of 66--two years before Ripley was reawakened. So, in other words, Ripley had just LOST a daughter and is processing that grief when she stumbles upon Newt. Their bond isn't simply based on the fact that Ripley's a woman and has a "maternal thing" going on. Newt becomes her surrogate daughter. Personally, I'd say that's pretty integral to the story.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Whoops, you're right, I completely got that wrong. In my defense I've only seen the Director's Cut. Anyway, while the surrogate idea works, I still think the maternal instinct idea works too. But tis a minor quibble.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:Whoops, you're right, I completely got that wrong. In my defense I've only seen the Director's Cut. Anyway, while the surrogate idea works, I still think the maternal instinct idea works too. But tis a minor quibble.
Last thing: Ripley wouldn't have agreed to go on the mission at all if she had a family to go back to.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sorry about not posting last night. For some reason, I couldn't get on the website. Will resume tonight.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #23

Shrykespeare: Big Trouble in Little China (1986) – Man, what happened to Carpenter, he was hot shit. Dark Star, Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, Escape From New York, The Thing and this, they are quite a few of the movies I grew up with and loved. Then bam, he's gone. He knew how to make a very fun, and at the same time scary movie. And this excelled in that aspect and more some. Need to watch this again, it's been too long. And while The Ward paled in comparison six, is it still worth watching? (7/10)
six wrote:silversurfer: Amelie (2001) – Delightful indeed, and it's proof of its general likeability that it has featured on 6 of our lists so far. A beautiful, wonderful, passionate film. I don't know about NZ or anywhere else, but I have noticed that Amelie has strangel influenced TV ads over here. Not only for their colour schemes and music, but also there's been a few ads that employ the deadpan voice-over of the film's early moments which list the interests/thoughts/fears of young Amelie and those around her.
I seem to remember there have been quite a few adverts of that variety over the last few years, but the most apt influence I think must be Pushing Daisies. From the visuals to the voice over to the characters, there is definitely something of Amelie in it.

thegreenarrow: The Shining (1980) - I got your reference to the fading masculinity too six, I seem to also remember something noteworthy regarding his abuse of Danny in the past and how that spawned his drinking, and then when Duvall comes into his writing area and shouts at him thinking he'd grabbed Danny round the throat it set off his drinking again (where he goes to the Gold Room and meets Lloyd) and ultimately his road to destruction. He had never gotten over that trauma and the Overlook deliberately pushed him over the edge again. (10/10)

transformers: Donnie Darko (2001) - A couple of years ago this would certainly have made my top 100, I guess time has just knocked it down a place or two. Still love every minute of it though. That opening sequence as Gylenhaal rides down the winding road to his house to the sound of The Killing Moon was such a powerful introduction to Kelly, and he continued to weave the music so well into the story. A very clever, possibly too clever movie and I love six's analogy of it being the brainchild of Lynch and Hughes, I don't think there could be a better way to describe it. And I like Southland Tales, I'm one of the few, but I find it almost brilliant. Haven't seen The Box yet though. (9/10)

englishozzy: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) - Certainly the best of the series, Cuaron's direction is much more mature but maintains your interest without being too dark. It is still essentially a HP movie. And I remember loving the time travel part of it too, and Oldman is probably my favourite character of the entire series. I'm not sure how influential it's been though. I think the LOTR series which emerged around the same time will have a much bigger impact in time than HP, don't get me wrong, they are not bad family movies, but I don't really see anything innovative about them to be honest, something which would change the way movies are made. (7/10)

Ron Burgundy: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - We seem to have one of the two Python movies each round! I wonder if Meaning Of Life will turn up anywhere? I doubt it. (8/10)

Buscemi: Mystic River (2003) - It's been quite a long time since I last watched this, but I think this is probably my favourite Eastwood movie, at least of one them. I seem to remember enjoying it a lot at the time, with some very strong performances, but I really should watch it again. (7/10)

Chienfantome: Blade Runner (1982) – When I think about this movie and Alien, I shake my head at what happened to Scott. I mean, he was at his peak during this period, and he was changing the way movies were made. It's awe inspiring how good those movies were. And then what? I just can't see the work he does now being from the same guy. Such a shame, and a waste of such great potential. But anyway, that line. Man that speech is so powerful, so emotive. One of the greatest quotes of all time. Brilliant stuff. (10/10)

numbersix: Chinatown (1974) - Glad to see it getting more love, certainly one of my favourite noirs. It is so complex, so layered and that only serves to make it perfect for repeat viewings. I didn't get everything the first time I saw it, I was a little lost at times, but man, it's so driven that you persist with it, eager to uncover the truth, and on repeated viewings you look for the details. Such a magical movie. (10/10)

Banks: Little Miss Sunshine (2006) - There have been a lot of these kind of dramas recently from the US, it seems almost a genre in itself now (with Sunshine Cleaning and, although I haven't seen it yet, I imagine The Kids Are All Right). Anyway, it was entertaining, with good performances from many of the cast (and it introduced me to Dano too, who I imagine could become very big in the future - we'll see I guess with Looper and Cowboys and Aliens this year). (7/10)

BarcaRulz: 12 Angry Men (1957) - And another favourite of mine received some praise again, such a brilliant story. (10/10)

Geezer: The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - As six mentioned, it is pretty much flawless, beautifully directed and very well acted. A compelling story, probably one of my favourite prison movies alongside Escape From Alcatraz. Darabont does have a way of making movies long though without feeling so. That's quite a talent. (8/10)

leestu: Network (1976) - I watched this for the first time only last year, and man it was great, and with a few other viewings I'd probably hold it in the same regard as 12 Angry Men. Great acting, influential, thought provoking. Just a damn good movie. Maybe on second viewing I too will be standing up and yelling alongside Finch. (8/10)

W: Planet of the Apes (1968) - It's been a very long time, but I do remember that ending so well. And Heston is also very good. Pity Burton couldn't replicate this greatness with his adaptation, despite some decent performances from the apes. Whoever thought Marky Mark could challenge Heston's performance was way off. (7.5/10)

NSpan: Aliens (1986) – I remember when we were about 7 we used to play as the cast of Aliens when we were kids. I usually ended up being Bishop for some reason, don't know why. At least I never got to be Vasquez, but everyone always fought over Hicks and Hudson. And everyone else on the playground were Aliens. So we pretty much hid in nooks and crannies all lunch time then swooped out and attacked unwitting "aliens". Oh, those were the days... Anyway, I too prefer the Director's Cut now, I first watched that version a couple of years ago and now I couldn't watch it any other way. Such a brilliant movie, and much more than just a straight action movie. (10/10)

undeadmonkey: Some Like It Hot (1959) – I keep forgetting Wilder was German! He's so ingrained in all the great of Hollywood you sometimes just forget. Great movie though, entertaining, funny, charming and witty. (8/10)

JohnErle: Misery (1990) – A firm favourite of my own, such brilliant central performances and some terrifying scenes (even without the hobbling). That scene with the penguin, man the tension. (8/10)

I've just realised I've skipped a set of movies, I'll get back to them later.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Since the next batch of picks was delayed one day for technical difficulties, I'll post them early tonight.

MOVIE #22

Shrykespeare

I, Robot (2004)
– Director: Alex Proyas; starring Will Smith, Bridget Moynahan, James Cromwell, Bruce Greenwood, Chi McBride, Alan Tudyk and Shia LaBoeuf. Up until this movie, Smith was chiefly known for his extroverted, shallow, loud-mouthed cowboy roles like in Bad Boys, Independence Day and Men In Black. But this film served as served as a graduation of sorts, as he was able to imbue his character of Det. Del Spooner with far more depth than I expected. Vulnerable, flawed and deeply scarred, his loathing of robots in the midst of a society totally dependent on them was a remarkable contrast. I, Robot contained enough action to satisfy that itch, but I especially love how the ending was left rather ambiguous and not wrapped up with a neat little bow. (2nd appearance)

(It’s worth noting that I only have one movie left on my list that has not been selected by anyone else. Assuming none of my past picks are in other people’s Top 20’s, that means that 58 of my 100 will overlap at least one other list. Quite happy with that, particularly given that only nine of my Top 100 songs - at least, I think it was nine - were chosen by others!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0f3JeDVeEo

silversurfer

The Terminator (1984)
- Director James Cameron; starring Arnold Schwarznegger, Linda Hamilton and Michael Biehn. Rarely have I been so terrified by a movie. I remember we rented this from the local video store in the late 80s, I think alongside Short Circuit and Batteries Not Included (I was in the early stages of my obsession with sci-fi, obviously) and being absolutely horrified by the relentless Arnie as the T-800. Alongside Jaws and Alien, I don't think there has been a more clinical, determined nemesis of the human race on film, and over the years this has multiplied as I realized the real possibility of this scenario, something like this, where machines can exceed humans, given the wrong people in power, could certainly become conceivable. And that is truly frightening. While the movie is much grittier and rawer than it's sequel due to its lower budget, I feel that helps it separate itself from T2, it's much more of a dark, suspenseful thriller than a straight up sci-fi action movie (and that's not to detract from either movie - both are excellent, just in there own way), and the transformation we see in Sarah Connor is phenomenal. From her humble beginnings to her kick ass finale, she becomes the epitome of everything which was to follow in Cameron movies - strong female leads. And with great support from the awesome Biehn and the ever horrifying, brutal Arnie, it truly is a breathtaking movie with fascinating characters and a haunting atmosphere. Sci-fi movies would never, ever be the same. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Jo8QoOTQ4

thegreenarrow

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
- Director Tim Burton; starring Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci and Christopher Walken. Of course being a Tim Burton movie I'm going to love it, but this delightfully dark, gothic tale with a hint of humour makes it one of Burton's best. Depp is brilliantly peculiar as Ichabod Crane, adding a touch of humanity to the traditional role of the hero with a character who is squeamish to the last despite the atrocities he has to uncover as an inspector! But equally he is offset by the truly menacing Walken as the Headless Horseman. The narrative is brilliantly constructed, weaving in details of the story as the movie progresses, revealing clue after clue of the puzzling scenario. I also love the scenes which relate back to Crane as a child, he's just so cute despite such an unfortunate upbringing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6O4Himch7g

transformers

Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
- Director: Peter Jackson; starring Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen, and Orlando Bloom. I liked all of the films, but The Two Towers is easily the best. The story is spectacularly paced and the 3 hours fly by. The action sequences are spectacular, the final battle is the best action sequence of the entire series. This is the most epic and my favorite of the whole series. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9tnZRs4tNE

englishozzy

The Bourne Identity (2002)
- Director: Doug Liman; starring Matt Damon, Franka Potente, Chris Cooper and Clive Owen. A film that brought Damon out into the spotlight, a beautifully crafted film that is not stop action from start to finish. A project that came from the wilderness of a terrible pre-production which normally spells doom for the film, and to emerge as the forefront of an exciting trilogy speaks highly for what
Liman has achieved. His in-your-face style of directing works wonders for the fight scenes in the movie and the realism of the combats enhance the experience. A nice blockbuster film that surprised everyone. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-uQreIwEk

Ron Burgundy

Se7en (1995)
- Director: David Fincher; starring Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow and Kevin Spacey. I love the 7 deadly sins idea, and the way the detectives (Pitt and Freeman) go about their way trying to find the serial killer. Its my second favourite Fincher movie ever, and I still think he can top both, as he is such a talent. And yes, the ending is unforgettable. (6th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4YV2_TcCoE

Buscemi

A Woman Under The Influence (1974)
- Director: John Cassavetes; starring Gena Rowlands, Peter Falk, Fred Draper, Lady Rowlands and Katherine Cassavetes. This film has possibly the finest performance by any actress in film history. Gena Rowlands' performance as a housewife losing her own sanity is powerful and incredibly moving. Though the film runs at a long 155 minutes, Rowlands' acting is so mesmerizing that it is hard to look away from the screen and one won't even realize the time spent with her character. John Cassavetes' direction adds to the performance and his naturalistic approach showcases the acting while most directors would dilute it with standard Hollywood convention. Peter Falk is great in support as the husband who is having to deal with her breakdown first-hand. In short, the crowning achievement for both Rowlands and Cassavetes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Uzdlgv2G8

Chienfantome

Pulp Fiction (1994)
- Director: Quentin Tarantino, starring Bruce Willis, John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Samuel L. Jackson and Ving Rhames. This is one of the first films I remember seeing subtitled in theater. I was barely 13, and at that age, in France, you generally go see films dubbed. But the closest cinema from home was an arthouse one, and films were shown subtitled. Seeing a film subtitled is so much different. I was used to American people talking in French, and when you’re a kid, you don’t question that. And then came Pulp Fiction. Then came the words of Quentin Tarantino, flowing through the mouths of all those great actors. It was cool, it was dirty, it was sexy. How can you not fall in love with such a film when you’re 13? But it does not stop when you grow up. Pulp Fiction is much more than that. It’s a way of depicting characters and making them talk that strikes as something unique and jubilatory. It’s a way of telling a story so ambitiously and yet so naturally. Each shot is so carefully directed, and yet it feels so casual. It’s a way of using music. It’s a way of expressing how much cinema is great. How what has been done nourishes what is to come in films. Tarantino won the Palme d’Or for his second feature. And it’s one of those Palme d’Or that is completely deserved. (4th appearance)

Look at the simple genius of this scene : Rhames talks offscreen, you just see Willis listening, and yet you’re caught into it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHTeq3klVZY

numbersix

The Seventh Seal (1957)
- Director: Ingmar Bergman; starring Max Von Sydow, Gunner Bjornstrand, Bibi Andersson and Bengt Ekerot. Bergman was one of the masters of cinema. Starting off in Swedish theatre his film always maintained a focus on character no matter what. His framing explored the human face like no other, as he always attempted to grasp the essence of who we are as humans. I’m not a huge fan of his early films, but it was the mid 50’s when he started making something extremely special. In The Seventh Seal, a Medieval knight (Max Von Sydow, who has appeared in everything from The Exorcist to Flash Gordon to Shutter Island) is confronted by Death. Fearing the end of his life, the knight buys time by playing a game of chess with Death. The knight uses his time to embark on a journey in which he struggles to find meaning to existence. In a world ravished with the Black Death it can’t be easy, and the various people he travels with all represent different perspectives on the meaning of life, whether it’s the cynical squire or the silly entertainers. And while it isn’t exactly a joyous film, it does hint at hope through a sense of humanity, regardless of faith. It’s a perfect blend of philosophical struggle and drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT2qRdffNik

Banks

The Lion King (1994)
- Directors: Roger Allers, Bob Minkoff; starring James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons and Matthew Broderick. Now, THIS is the greatest animated movie of all-time – sorry Pixar, you guys are the kings now, but you’ve yet to come close to The Lion King. I haven’t seen it in forever, but re-watching the trailer just brought back a flood of memories and emotions. I do believe this is one of the few movies I’ve ever cried to, Scar betraying Mufasa is something a kid can’t shake – even to this day. Not only is it ridiculously funny and enjoyable, The Lion King has been cited in most of my college classes as a prime example of pretty much everything. Class issues, Freudian symbology, gender struggle, Shakespeare adaptations – it’s so full, you can watch it over and over and see something different every time. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sj1MT05lAA

BarcaRulz

Amelie (2001)
- Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet; starring: Audrey Tautou, Mathieu Kassovitz and Rufus. Well, at least this will make Chien happy coming in two spots better than the film that won the best foreign film Oscar over it. It took me a while to watch this, and even then it took me a while to truly appreciate it. Spellbinding scenery and superb acting, when added to a sincere story about a naive, happy-go-lucky gal (played by the ever lovely Audrey Tautou) just makes a great film. One of the few films that has gone up on my list in recent times. (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIYrpyt6rbk

Geezer

Good Will Hunting (1997) -
Director: Gus Van Sant; starring Matt Damon, Robin Williams, Ben Affleck, Stellan Skarsgard and Minnie Driver. This film rose more than any other from the last installment of my list, and it wasn't close. It climbed a whopping 49 spots and I'll tell you why. I've watched it a few times since the last time I made my list, and the appreciation I have has grown exponentially. I watched it the first time years ago and I liked it a lot even then, but re-watching it a few times in my young adulthood I can relate to it so much more than I could a few years ago. Some of the lines of dialogue just hit me so much harder. I understand the whole story better. I appreciate just hoe phenomenal Robin Williams is in this. Its a film that holds a deep, personal meaning for me now, and that’s why it jumped nearly 50 spots in just a year and a half. It’s a fantastic story with an amazing message that I will probably be watching again soon. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02M3NRtkAA

leestu

The Birds (1963)
- Director: Alfred Hitchcock; starring Tippi Hedren, Rod Taylor, Suzanne Pleshette and Jessica Tandy. The very first Hitchcock movie I watched and I was very young, still primary school age. I was living in a very new suburb and there were only a few houses on each street with a lot of bushland. Every year around breeding season I used to get swooped by magpies while playing outside or walking to and from school which at times was a frightening experience. It was during that time that I watched this movie and seeing something I was experiencing taken to such an extreme was an unnerving experience that I never forget. Of course it no longer has such an impact but I still love watching it, and it is probably one of the 2 movies that started my appreciation for horrors that actually manage to scare you (the other one is coming up much later). (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVDT4bWPypk

W

Scarface (1983
) - Director: Brian De Palma, Starring: Al Pacino, Steven Bauer, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert Loggia and F. Murray Abraham. Brian De Palma got a "Worst Director" Razzie nomination for this. I really have no clue why. Al Pacino gives one of his two signature characters here as the Cuban immigrant gangster Antonio "Tony" Montana (named after Joe Montana). They tried to make an old-style gangster film, but set in (what was then) modern day Miami and succeeded. In college, I went to a panel discussing the Mariel Boat Lift and the repercussions to American/Cuban relations. One of them was a professor of law that helped get these Cubans out of jail that had been there since the boat lift (15-20 years) for petty crimes because they weren't citizens and couldn't be sent back to Cuba. Anyways, he blamed this film in part for making people believe that most of those Marielitos are basically what Tony is. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkNAyQN-jg

NSpan

Goodfellas (1990)
- Directed by Martin Scorsese; starring Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci and Lorraine Bracco. It's odd to me that Scorsese's best film came right in the dead-middle of his career. But, despite some late-career resurgence, the only other contenders I could think of (Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Raging Bull) are all from his early days. As any fan of Scorsese can admit, he's no stranger to recycling (and oftentimes improving upon) ideas, themes, and even character-types. That forward-moving progression hit full-boil with Goodfellas. It was like every movie he had attempted to make prior rolled into one masterpiece. Ray Liotta gets so little praise for this film, but he carries the picture. DeNiro and Pesci (while both great) are simply fleshing out stereotypes. And, ugh, think about the same equation with Liotta removed from it. What do you get? Casino! A pale, shadow imitation of the (truly-inspired) Goodfellas. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo5jJpHtI1Y

undeadmonkey

Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)
- Director: Guillermo del Toro; starring Ivana Baquero, Ariadna Gil and Sergi López. I absolutely love this film; this (and including a few past films and obviously the rest coming up) could be my favorite film on any given day when I’m in the mood. The only problem is that this is such a dark film and sometimes hard to watch, that I’m not in the mood often. But when I do have the nerve to rewatch it, I relish every scene, every frame. Del Toro’s finest film to date, the story is imaginative and haunting. Although there are a few genres touched on in the film, it could most easily fit in the fantasy/horror genre. Although others argue that it’s not really a fantasy at all and is all the imagination of the girl. Either way, the horror is still there. I find the faun super creepy, (like I said before, I think he has the perfect ‘evil’ voice). The scene with the ‘Pale man’ with his eyes in his palms had me so tense, I physically noticed and felt myself relax after it was over, which almost never happens (also poor fairies). Going back to the debate whether it’s all in Ofelia’s head or if the fantasy is real. It doesn’t really matter. I can see both sides and it’s definitely interesting watching the movie alternately with either view in mind. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYiSlkvRuw

JohnErle

Quiz Show (1994)
– Director: Robert Redford; starring John Turturro, Rob Morrow, Ralph Fiennes, David Paymer, Hank Azaria, Mira Sorvino and Martin Scorsese. Amazing film all around, but I love the unique dilemma of Fiennes' character. He's a genius by most standards but compared to his family he feels like a disappointment. Fascinating, poignant stuff, and a gorgeous looking film. It's hard to believe how much America has changed so quickly and that intelligence used to be respected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOSnYt9k4kM

Amelie jumps to #4 (and we all know Chien has it coming up). Se7en is now #13. Lion King cracks the Top 25.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Had Donte joined the list, I'm pretty sure Amelie would have been his #1.

And my opinion on I, Robot:

The film is decent but the book is much, much better. The book doesn't have Spooner (he came from a totally different script called Hardwired that was combined with I, Robot to make it more marketable) but instead puts the character played in the film version by Bridget Moynahan at the forefront and focuses more on the relationship between human and android along with having more science than action. It also helps that Asimov was one of the best writers of science fiction who ever lived.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

just had written some wonderful (and long) comments, and for some reason it asked me sign in, while i was signed in already and now they are gone :evil: :cry:

MOVIE #22

Shrykespeare - I, Robot (2004) – enjoyed this movie, shia and will are fun, and i love the subject matter, even though its been done dozens of times. also i said that i had forgotten about the film while makeing my list, but i don't think it would of quite made it anyway.

silversurfer - The Terminator (1984) - the best terminator of all four. had seen T2 and T3 before, but only saw the first one before salvation. loved it, might someday make my own list, after seeing it more times as i had only seen it once.

thegreenarrow - Sleepy Hollow (1999) - another film i had forgotten while making my list, and would probably make it in the top there somewhere, oh well. Another fun macabre adventure from burton, just the way i like them.

transformers - Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - said my favorite scenes were, Sam's monologue at the end of the film and also the scene where gollum and smeagol are talking to each other. it's so real, with the acting, voice work, and editing, gives me chills. also said gollums whole story arc throughout the movie is fascinating.

englishozzy - The Bourne Identity (2002) - love the trilogy, been to long since i've seen them all, and i've never seen them all at once, i should one of these days.

Ron Burgundy - Se7en (1995) - fantatic movie, with great directing and cinematography which really add to the mood of the film

Banks - The Lion King (1994) - great movie, fantastic voice work. it was also the first dvd i ever bought, and i will be one of the first to buy the bluray later this year. great quotes too,

-"Life's not fair, is it? You see, I... well, I shall never be king. And you... shall never see the light of another day. "
- Didn't your mother ever tell you not to play with your food?

-"Let me get this straight. You know her. She knows you. But she wants to eat him. And everybody's okay with this?.... Did I miss something?!"

-Gee. He looks blue.
-I'd say brownish-gold.

BarcaRulz - Amelie (2001) - i absolutely love pushing daisies and i never made the connection before, but i can definitely see it now.

Geezer - Good Will Hunting (1997) - great choice, have been wanting to see it again lately

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - A very interesting and fun film that i agree added more depth to Smith's usual performances. Not a film id have in my own Top 100 but it was good nonetheless. 7/10

Transformer - Although i did enjoy this film but for me i found i preferred the other two over this one. The first movie had the nice character introductions and the third with the final battle scene but im not saying that the second was too far off. 7/10

Ron - Its not a surprise this film has gotten so many nods from everyone, a top notch thriller with one of the best endings i have seen. 10/10

Banks - I have never read into this film as much as you obviously have banks but still a top notch animation. Got love from me at #29. 8/10

UDM - The film that got me interested into Del Toro's work and one of my favourite foreign language films of all time. #52 on my list. 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #22

Shrykespeare: I, Robot (2004) – Well, it may not be as bad as I am Legend, but it's not far off. There's a few good sequences but I think the interesting idea was lost in a sea of mediocrity and a dull whodunnit plot.

silversurfer: The Terminator (1984) - An amazing sci-fi action flick. I could watch this over and over. Fantastic atmosphere and the scenes suggesting the future are terrifying.

thegreenarrow: Sleepy Hollow (1999) - A fun film. A tad camp, and perhaps the start of Depp's one-dimensional characters, but I was entertained.

transformers: Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - Funny, as it's my least favourite by far. I thought the pacing was poor. The Gollum stuff was great, as was the battle scene, but most of the other stuff was a bit all over the place. I especially wasn't interested in Aragon's journey.

englishozzy: The Bourne Identity (2002) - Not bad, and perhaps the reason for Bond being rebooted. I kinda perfer the other two. Someone I felt that the showdown with Clive Owen was a little anti-climactic.

Ron Burgundy: Se7en (1995) - My favourite Fincher movie, and one of the best seriel killer movies of all time.

Buscemi: A Woman Under The Influence (1974) - Can't believe Rowlands didn't win the Oscar (then again, Burstyn was excellent too) for this. A disturbing, uncomfortable, rewarding film. I suspect you have Criterion's Cassavetes box set, and if so then good job, it's a great collection.

Chienfantome: Pulp Fiction (1994) - Wow, you saw this is the cinema at 13? I probably would have hated it! Thankfully I caught it a little later and it changed the way I undestood movies forever.

Banks: The Lion King (1994) - Still haven't seen it.

BarcaRulz: Amelie (2001) - A wonderous piece of cinema.

Geezer: Good Will Hunting (1997) - A strong drama with Williams giving one of his best performances. Very watchable and a great soundtrack.

leestu: The Birds (1963) - Still freaks me out. That scene where they walk through a street full of seemingly placed birds perched everywhere... cinema doesn't get much more tense.

W:Scarface (1983) - I can understand the Razzie nom. The direction is very OTT, as is Pacino.

NSpan: Goodfellas (1990) - Couldn't agree with you more about Liotta AND why Casino doesn't come close. A contender for my Top 100 but didn't quite make it. I must have seen this film dozens of times. Quite brilliant.

undeadmonkey: Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) - Yeah, I agree in that it doesn't matter if it's "real" or not. The whole point is that fantasy can affect the choices we make in reality, and ultimately what Ofelia does is both right and something she learned from the fantasy world. A powerful film.

JohnErle: Quiz Show (1994) – It's a nice, solid drama, but there's nothing exceptional about it

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

MOVIE #24

Shrykespeare: Real Genius (1985) – Can't say I've ever heard of it. I liked Bill Atherton in Die Hard though, he does play the guy you like to hate very well, so I'll give this a look if I ever catch it on tv. (N/A)

thegreenarrow: This Is Spinal Tap (1984) - Great movie, made my list too. (10/10)

transformers: Half Baked (1998) - I hear a lot about Dave Chapelle all the time, but I have no idea if I'd like him as a comedian or not. I should probably check out some clips to see if he is even half the talent he is revered as. (N/A)

englishozzy: Back to the Future (1985) - I'm surprised it's taken you this long to watch it, considering it's been pretty much a staple of tv movies for 20 years! I don't know how many times I've seen the movie, but it's probably over 50, and it still never gets old. I watched it again a few months ago and it's just a perfect movie. (10/10)

Ron Burgundy: American Psycho (2000) - To be honest I prefer the book over the movie, but that's more a testament to how much I love the book. Bale was the absolute perfect choice for the role of Patrick Bateman. It's a witty movie which makes you think, and the style in which it is achieved is very likeable. (9/10)

Buscemi: Apocalypse Now (1979) - Haven't seen it in probably 10 years, but I remember watching it late at night in bed and despite my tiredness wanting to see what happened as the atmosphere was so intense. Should probably watch it again some time soon. (8/10)

Chienfantome: Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) - Fact: without doubt had it not been for Star Wars I would not be into movies in the way I am. It was THE most important set of movies for me growing up, and they are just as important today. They evoke all that is great about what it is to watch a movie. I'll bet this is on at least 14 lists. (10/10)

Banks: The Breakfast Club - I haven't watched it for about 7 years maybe, but it's still one of if not my favourite Hughes movie. Clever, relatable script with decent performances. Of course in real life none of these guys would be able to get on, but I guess the idea that these guys can neglect their stereotypes and band together is quite nice. And of course, it had Ally Sheedy in it....(7.5/10)

BarcaRulz: No Man’s Land (2001) - Never heard of it, but it's going on my must see list. (N/A)

Geezer: BASEketball (1998) - I remember being at a new years eve party a good 10 years or so ago and a friend of mine telling me to watch this movie as it was one of the greatest ever. I wasn't a fan of Parker and Stone at the time so decided to give it a miss. Maybe I should give it a go. (N/A)

leestu: The Princess Bride (1987) - I think every guy on the planet felt like you and Fred Savage on first hearing about this movie, but I don't think I can name one who hasn't fallen in love with it's brilliance after having watched it. Pure entertainment perfection. (10/10)

W: Bio-Dome (1996) – I'm pretty sure I remember this being voted one of the absolute WORST movies of all time a few years ago. And Pauly Shore is a vile little man. I think I'll be happy never to watch this. (N/A)

NSpan: Primer (2004) – Weirdly enough I did exactly the same thing only a couple of months ago. We watched it for the first time, was intrigued, perplexed, dazzled, and I had to watch it again to come close to some kind of understanding. I even read up some essay on the internet to try and full understand it. And then it clicked. It's quite brilliant, very creative and imaginative, all the while achieving this on a very small budget. (9/10)

undeadmonkey: The Matrix (1999) - I actually found the sequels to largely bloat a very clear and direct vision of the first movie. While they also contained some great action sequences, nothing could compare to the original. I'll never forget that summer I watched this film three times in the cinema, it completely changed the course of action movies from then on. (10/10)

JohnErle: Airplane! (1980) – It's a brilliantly funny movie, but I don't think I've watched it enough to ever call it a true favourite of mine. And I generally prefer Nielson is the Police Squad series and movies. (7/10)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #22

Ron Burgundy - Se7en - Wow, Ron! You had three overlaps with me in the previous seven threads and you have had FOUR on this thread alone! Great comeback! (10/10)

transformers - LOTR: The Two Towers - And you are back in the lead with your 17th overlap. Great choice. (10/10)

silversurfer - The Terminator - Also a great choice. (9/10)

englishozzy - The Bourne Identity - Not my favorite of the series, but still very good. (8/10)

thegreenarrow - Sleepy Hollow - I'm not a huge fan of Burton, but this was a terrific fit for him and Depp. Should probably watch this again. (8/10)

Chienfantome - Pulp Fiction - It was a game-changer, that's for sure. Terrific outing from QT. (8/10)

Banks - The Lion King - Also haven't seen this one in a while. After Aladdin, probably my favorite Disney animated film of the 80's and 90's. (7/10)

undeadmonkey - Pan's Labyrinth - Something about this film just turned me off, but the visuals were staggering. (6/10)

JohnErle - Quiz Show - Yet another that I haven't seen in a while. The performances were very good, but the story wasn't that engaging to me. (6/10)

W - Scarface - I probably like this movie more for the hype surrounding it than the actual story. Pacino was so OTT it was comical. The shootout at the end was terrific, but watching the movie now almost feels like watching a cartoon. (6/10)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - I, Robot
Up until that film... ? How about "Ali" ? Isn't it the film that proved Smith could be more than just a fun actor and bring depth to his performances ? For me it is. I, Robot is just a watchable but very disappointing film, disappointing coming from an Asimov adaptation, and disappointing coming from the man who directed the much better "Dark City".

Surfer - The Terminator
Probably the best film Cameron has ever made. And I think by now you guys all know how I feel about him, so even if it doesn't mean much, yes, The Terminator is an excellent film.

greenarrow - Sleepy Hollow
For me this is the beginning of the end for Burton. I loved Burton up until that film. It's still watchable, but I was bitterly disappointed by Sleepy Hollow, and always have ever since from Burton, although after all that disappointment, I don't expect much anymore.

transformers - The Two Towers
An exciting second part to a mesmerizing 10 hour film.

Ozzy - The Bourne Identity
Not bad. Pretty good. I've never been huge on the Bourne series, but I've always found the films to be very entertaining, even this first one which is generally a bit depreciated in comparison to Greengrass' films.

Ron B - Seven
Fincher is one of my favourite american directors working today, and Seven clearly is one of the films that hooked me to him when I was a teen. A dark and intense thriller that manages to create an atmosphere like few films have managed to.

Buscemi - A woman under the influence
As I have said when Cassavetes was first mentioned (by Six I think), this particular director is one of my flaws as a cinephile. I have yet to give him the attention deserved. But I certainly will.

Six - The Seventh Seal
If there's one Bergman film I haven't seen but want to, this is clearly the one. I have yet to see it, but have been very curious about it. I will catch it, that's sure.

Banks - The Lion King
The last Disney I truly enjoyed as a teen. I remember how huge it was, I remember loving the soundtrack and the first part of the film. The last act is disappointing, but it's still an enjoyable Disney. I love Irons as the vilain.

Barca - Amelie
Indeed, Barca, I'm happy you too consider it better than No Man's Land, even if just a little bit in the land of masterpieces ;) It's a gem of a film. Great to see it climb in our collective Top 5 !!

Geezer - Good Will Hunting
It may be mainstream Van Sant, but it's still a very fine film, with some great writing and acting.

leestu - The Birds
I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember it gave me a few nightmares back then ;)

W - Scarface
I'll never be shocked for that Razzie nomination De Palma got for this one. He did too much and went over the line, beyond cinematographic vulgarity with this. Fortunately, he later made much better films like The Untouchables and Carlito's Way ;)

NSpan - Goodfellas
I still haven't seen it. I have it on DVD for years, but still haven't watched it ! But I will of course ^.^

UDM - Pan's Labyrinth
It's funny, I thought about this film today. I went to see "Map of the sounds of Tokyo", in which Sergi Lopez is the lead, and it reminded me of him in Pan's Labyrinth. He was much better in the fantastic Pan's than in the film I saw today...

JohnErle
I've only seen it once, years ago, but I remember liking it very much. An amazing cast.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chienfantome wrote:#22

Shryke - I, Robot
Up until that film... ? How about "Ali" ? Isn't it the film that proved Smith could be more than just a fun actor and bring depth to his performances ? For me it is. I, Robot is just a watchable but very disappointing film, disappointing coming from an Asimov adaptation, and disappointing coming from the man who directed the much better "Dark City".
I said "chiefly known." Of course he did Ali, but the films that I mentioned were what Smith became famous for. Ali (as well as Six Degrees of Separation) proved that he could do more than what he was doing in his bread-and-butter movies, but I, Robot was the first film he did that combined both aspects.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well, Shryke, I have to confess my laziness to justify why I misinterprated the meaning of your words. I rarely go find a translation for the words I don't know... If I seem to generally understand the meaning of a sentence, I'll just go with it^^ An sometimes, I'm wrong about my interpretations... I didn't know the word "chiefly"...
BUt I know you won't hold that against me my friend ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur