Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Post by Shrykespeare »

History today: two movies appearing twice on the same day.

MOVIE #30

Shrykespeare

Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995)
– Director: John McTiernan; starring Bruce Willis, Jeremy Irons and Samuel L. Jackson. It took all of thirty seconds for this film to grab your attention, and it never let up after that. Willis once again owns John McClane, the down-and-out cop who must sober up in time to play the maniacal games of an arch-criminal (Irons) who soon has the entire city in his grip. Jackson is awesome as John’s unwilling ally, and the two are terrific on-screen together. Great action, great story, off-the-charts cinematography. A worthy chapter one of the most famous action series of all time. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=866yr_Oj5IA

silversurfer

Fargo (1996)
- Directors Joel and Ethan Coen; starring Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare. The first Coen Brothers movie I ever watched, and it's still one of their finest. Merging their noir, quirky, and comedic sensibilities into one movie, it works on all levels to create an absorbing dark thriller with standout performances from the entire cast. Returning to their roots (literally) and following a similar theme as in their debut (Blood Simple) their satire of Minnesota, with the unmistakable accents, is a delightfully witty, intriguing and tragic story, with a masterful narrative which twists and turns at ever moment, never letting you in on where the story will reach its conclusion. Indeed, the accents only serve to further highlight the absurd paths the movie takes, with the only point of logic coming in the form of Marge, a brilliantly crafted heroine in the shape of Frances McDormand. Quirky, but straight laced, she is a woman on a mission, who battles on with such grit and determination despite the insanities which are happening around her (as well as the fact she is very, very pregnant). You also feel the desperation in William H Macy's character as a man trying to provide for his family and gain respect from his father in law, and despite his obvious wrongdoing, you hope he may find a resolution to his dire situation. And it is because of the care and attention given to each of these delightfully memorable characters (including a "kind of funny looking" and hilarious Steve Buscemi as one half of a little and large bad guy duo) that you feel a warmth towards the movie (despite it's desolate and frosty setting). (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4PmbfG4bw

thegreenarrow

Withnail & I (1987)
– Director: Bruce Robinson; starring Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann and Richard Griffiths. The first time I watched this I was more than a little cautious, having been told by my brother that the star was the brother of Hugh Grant. However, he convinced me otherwise, in that Richard is nothing like his brother and actually funny, so I went ahead and watched it. I found the movie hilarious, I loved Grant's flamboyant character, gallivanting around in some fantastic clothes and spouting some great language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p6ZSLg6JGY

transformers

Friday (1995)
- Director: F.Gary Gray; starring Ice Cube,Chris Tucker, Nia Long and John Witherspoon. Friday is a film that has some of the memorable comedic characters of all time, especially Chris Tucker as Smokey. The dialogue is really funny and it's extremely quotable. The cast has great chemistry and the laughs keep coming. Friday is just a fun and hysterical film. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZvxODObvxI

englishozzy

Children of Men (2006)
- Director: Alfonso Cuaron; starring Clive Owen, Michael Caine, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Julianne Moore. A futuristic film that actually looks more like the past. Cuaron delivers a powerful message in a bleak 2027 Britain where people can no longer give birth. Cuaron displays some brilliant directing throughout the film, with the camera constantly focusing on our hero (Owen) while everything else is going on around him giving us the illusion of being right in the thick of the action with him. Some amazing tracking shots with the standout being the siege in Bexhill where Owen is navigating his way around a chaotic scene. Visually stunning and a nice streak of black comedy cultivates in an enjoyable yet depressing film. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en16i8BY4hI

Ron Burgundy

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
- Director: Guy Ritchie; starring Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher, Jason Statham and Nick Moran. A movie that grows on me every time I watch it, that’s how good it is. The four main characters are excellent, I have followed Jason Flemyng closely since this, and I wonder what happened to Nick Moran (Boosh?). Jason Statham and Guy Ritchie are the ones that took off after this. A story about crime, gambling and how to resolve a situation you wouldn’t like to be in. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hZkvrFIj0

Buscemi

Inglourious Basterds (2009)
- Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Melanie Laurent, Daniel Bruhl and Diane Kruger. A "what if" story set during World War II focused around several characters (a Southern Army lieutenant and his Jewish-American comrades, a French Jew on the run from a Nazi bounty hunter, a Nazi soldier attempting an acting career, an English soldier who is an ally to the lieutenant, Hitler and a Parisian cinema where these characters and their stories will intersect) that possibly could have been a cluttered mess turns out to be another masterpiece from Quentin Tarantino. With his ability to write and attention towards detail and action, Tarantino manages to create a fun and thrilling film that flies by in its 153 minute run time. The acting (as expected with Tarantino's films) is great, with Pitt being entertaining and hammy, Laurent perfectly handling the film as the main character, Waltz being one of the scariest villains in cinema history (getting a well-deserved Oscar in the process) and everyone else doing their part in delivering good performances (besides the above mentioned actors, Michael Fassbender, Eli Roth, B.J. Novak, Til Schweiger and an unrecognizable Mike Myers have notable roles). Who says World War II films can't tell a story and have fun in the process? (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMKloOEKcU

Chienfantome

The Godfather (1972)
– Director: Francis Ford Coppola; starring Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Diane Keaton, James Caan, John Cazale and Robert Duvall. Some films have a huge reputation. Everybody says they are one of the greatest films ever, and this puts so much expectation that you end up disappointed. The Godfather is not one of those films. The Godfather is a cinematographic monument with a fascinating set of characters and a dense narration. Coppola achieves something amazing. He does not stop at making a great gangster film. He explores an environment. A world. He plunges us into a family of immigrants. Into a family of criminals. And he magnifies his exploration, thanks to a direction that reminds of the great European films, extending his sequences at their maximum, using beautiful sets, and a classic music by Nino Rota. The first time I saw The Godfather was at the French Cinémathèque. The only reason I do not list The Godfather sequel is because I have only seen it once, 3 or 4 of years ago (yes it was late !). A second vision would probably propel it into the Top 100. (5th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf16Vc3iZjE

numbersix

The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)
- Director: Judd Apatow; starring Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen. Don’t you love it when a film you never thought you’d like blows you away? I remember seeing the poster campaign for it and instantly disliking the idea. It came across as a gross-out American Pie clone, and I only checked it out when I was sick and wanted to watch something easy. This was one of the first films I ever downloaded (don’t worry, I made amends by buying the DVD eventually) and I instantly loved it. Apatow’s approach isn’t innovative, but it was refreshing. He didn’t rely on silly gags and sick humour, instead he created several well-rounded characters that all approach a strange situation in an interesting way. There’s an honesty in how it portrays our ways of dealing with sex and relationships, and how we often are afraid to admit we don’t have a clue ourselves. Apatow’s direction deserves praise, in which he shoots like a sitcom (using 2-3 cameras per shoot) but prompts the actors to ad-lib, bringing out their comic instincts which often results in comic gold (like the “you know how I know you’re gay…” scene). The ghost of Billy Wilder watches over this film. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQVPjLAulaM

Banks

Up (2009) - Director: Pete Docter and Bob Peterson; starring Ed Asner, Christopher Plummer and Jordan Nagai. So here it is: in my mind, the greatest Pixar accomplishment to date. I’ve got one more animated film coming up, but even this gives that a run for its money. Up has action, adventure, heart, comedy, thrills, it’s got everything besides dogs as fighter pilots (….wait! It’s got that too?!?). Dug is the best and funniest talking animal sidekick ever, besting even Dory or Timon/Pumbaa. And Kevin is the perhaps one of the best silent characters ever – I’d love a silent Pixar film with him and WALL-E. Not to mention, the heartbreaking tale of why Mr. Fredricksen is taking his house to South America in the first place: Ellie. Up is perfection. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkqzFUhGPJg

BarcaRulz

Up (2009)
- Director: Pete Docter and Bob Peterson; starring: Edward Asner, Christopher Plummer and Jordan Nagai. Whoops. I know I claimed Finding Nemo as my favorite animation, but I accidentally forgot to count this one. Anyway, when I first saw this I was truly amazed by how complex a film it was, yet how even the youngest children in the cinema still found a way to enjoy it. A true masterpiece by Pixar (who excel in animation for all ages) that tells a story of adventure. Absolutely loved everything about it, from the voice acting all the way to the talking dogs. The opening montage is also one of my favorite scenes in movie history, a truly beautiful and heartfelt scene that sets up the film perfectly. Props to Pixar for being so consistently good. (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkqzFUhGPJg

Geezer

Happy Gilmore (1996)
- Director: Dennis Dugan; starring Adam Sandler, Christopher McDonald, Julie Bowen and Carl Weathers. Adam Sandler’s best film. Just best story, funniest, best performance, everything about it is his best. While some of his films have worn on me over the years, Happy Gilmore has only grown. Its just everything I think of when I think of Sandler, the comedic genius, vs what he has become today (seriously, when's the last time he made a good comedy?). Great cameo by Ben Stiller too! (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Q2XGf4TCY

leestu

Rear Window (1954)
- Director: Alfred Hitchcock; starring James Stewart, Grace Kelly and Wendell Corey. The second Hitchcock on my list, with 2 more still to come. Masterful suspense from Hitch, and great acting from Stewart and Kelly. I still find myself tensing up every time I watch it, even though I know what happens. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW0y7i2AyNU

W

Happy Gilmore (1996)
- Director: Dennis Dugan, Starring: Adam Sandler, Christopher McDonald and Carl Weathers. I don't even like golf, but this sports comedy has so much going for it. First off, it's hilarious... And that's all I need. There's quotes abound, a hobo caddy, some great cameos, and when Lee Trevino makes that face and shakes his head it's absolute gold. I couldn't not mention Carl Weathers, the grandma, Ben Stiller and Bob Barker either. And the swing... I saw a "Sports Science" video with Paddy Harrington and he actually added 30 yards to his swing using the Happy Gilmore method (no joke). (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Q2XGf4TCY
(You just pulled landscaping duty.)

NSpan

Grindhouse (2007)
– Directors: Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino; starring Josh Brolin, Kurt Russell, Freddy Rodriguez, Michael Biehn, Rose McGowan, Zoe Bell and Jeff Fahey. Sadly, relatively few people around the world got to see this in its entirety during its theatrical release. Honestly, I had tears in my eyes toward the end of the first segment. We had been drinking chartreuse (perhaps the cause of my eye malfunction) at Texas Chili Parlor earlier that night, and Alamo Drafthouse was proudly serving sloppy BBQ from the "Bone Shack" (the neon sign still sits in the lobby). I think it was the moment that Freddy Rodriguez pops a wheelie on the mini-bike that I realized we were watching something truly special. Rodriguez and Tarantino wanted to create a unique and memorable tribute to the sleazy double-features of their youth, and they succeeded gloriously. If you haven't seen the scratchy theatrical version of Grindhouse ("Hobo With a Shotgun" included!!!), then you simply haven't seen the movie. Fortunately for you, the full version has finally been released on blu-ray. And if you're thinking of seeing this film alone... DON'T! (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AaVUs3-Pw

undeadmonkey

The Last King of Scotland (2006)
– Director: Kevin Macdonald; starring James McAvoy, Forest Whitaker and Gillian Anderson. My viewing of classics, foreign, 'difficult', indie, and etc. films is relatively recent. I started about 4 years ago. and this is one of the first, not the first, but very close to it of so called Oscar movie I saw. Up till then I would categorize myself as teen movie watcher. you know, TV movies, action movies, kids movies, not that there is anything wrong with that. (now I am maybe young adult or what would you categorize me in?) Anyway, this movie was on of the first that totally blew me away in acting. Forest Whitaker just made me sit back and take notice, he brought the president so to life, he seemed real to me. and if I ever met the real guy (if he's still alive) and if he didn't act like in the movie, I wouldn't believe it was him. Gillian Anderson was also pretty great, James McAvoy not so much, but he was decent and a good enough character to take you through the ride of the movie. Which it was a great ride, a drama that turns into a bit of a thriller at the end. Plus it's based on a true story, what if that would have happened to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV_QgKJFZP0

JohnErle

North by Northwest (1959)
– Director: Alfred Hitchcock; starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason and Martin Landau. Like an American Bond movie released 3 years before Dr. No. Stylish, witty, and endlessly entertaining. "I'm not a red herring, I'm an ad man." (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk0GbTMMbP0

With the late additions of Happy Gilmore and Up (twice), I can announce that both films are now in the Fantaverse Top 20 at #20 and #18.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Post by englishozzy »

Shryke - Nothing will top the first movie but still this is a good second place, i enjoyed the cat-and-mouse game played across the city which made for some intense viewings. 8/10

Ron - A brilliant debut from Ritchie who seems to be back on track with the Sherlock Holmes movies. Still prefer Snatch though. #93 on my list. 8/10

Buscemi - I only really started watching Tarantino films in the past two years or so after being blown away with Kill Bill, have yet to see Pulp Fiction but apart from his newish stuff if anybody could recommend a few of his films to watch it would be much appreciated. Basterds was one of the standouts of 2009 for me. 8/10

Six - I agree with you in that this film slipped under my radar when it first came out but after finally seeing it on DVD, made me wish i had caught it in the cinemas. 8/10

Banks/Barca - I admit that the trailer for this film didnt get me over excited and thats saying something coming from a huge fan of Pixar, im glad the film turned out much better than i hoped for though. Everything that Pixar has been doing right all these years had been applied to this story, it maybe dragged for a few scenes in the middle which probably held it up from being higher on my list. #37 on mine. 8/10

Nspan - Unfortunately for us by the time this film had reached Australia they had already decided to split the movies into two, and even worse my local cinema at the time only played Death Proof and not Planet Terror (the basterds). I could only dream now to ever truly watch this film on the big screen back-to-back, another excellent film from Tarantino and Rodriquez. 8/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #30

Shrykespeare: Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) – I hope the first two films are coming up on your last as they're both better than this. DH3 isn't bad, per se, but gradually the films drifted further and further into cartoon territory. Like in this one where McClane is blown out of the tunnell by the water and high into the air. It's like a Looney Tunes moment. The story isn't that exceptional, and the subplot with the henchmen is woefully misplaced. Plus around the time they get onto the boat the whole thing gets very plain and forgettable. There's good banter between Jackson and Willis, and it starts off okay, but it's nowhere near as good as the original.

silversurfer: Fargo (1996) - A Coens film I love and yet it didn't make my Top 100. That's how good those brothers can be. An excellent thriller with wonderful cinematography (if the Coens do one thing well, it's that they know how to shoot their own country) and an amazing score. I remember a lecturer of mine claiming that the Coens intended this movie to be ultimately a joke, that there's no warmth to any of the character, even Margie. What do you make of that?

thegreenarrow: Withnail & I (1987) – An incredibly quotable comedy. Great performances from all. Lovely ending.

transformers: Friday (1995) - 3rd appearance here and I still don't remember it!

englishozzy: Children of Men (2006) - Brilliantly realised chase sequences, although in doing so it sorta sacrifices everything else. But I do like it.

Ron Burgundy: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998) - Every time I watch it, it only manages to grow on my nerves ;). It just leaves me empty. It did introduce me to The Stooges' Wanna Be Your Dog, so I'll give it that.

Buscemi: Inglourious Basterds (2009) - Wildly varying in terms of quality, ranging from brilliant (usually whenever Waltz is involved) to frustratingly bad. An oddity in that way, but I'd rather a film with brilliant moments than a consistently mediocre one.

Chienfantome: The Godfather (1972) – I do love it. I really must watch it again, as it is one of those films that Iwill never lessen after repeated views.

Banks & Barca: Up (2009) - A wonderful film, and to me it stands above Wall-E and Ratatouille. Controversial, I know, but for me this has a tad more heart, and a lot more laughs.

Geezer and W: Happy Gilmore (1996) - Haven't seen enough of it to comment.

leestu: Rear Window (1954) - Brilliant thriller. That scene at the end with the flashbulbs is hair-tearingly tense.

NSpan: Grindhouse (2007) – I had tears in my eyes too... of boredom ;) I saw the two films separately, and hated them both. I then saw this version, and hated it slightly less purely because of the trailers and because each segment was shorter. Perhaps my problem is that I doubt I'd like any of the original films they were making an homage to in the first place, but jesus these two films were awful. Rodriguez's gets tired after about two mintues, once we all get the joke. And Tarantino's is painful, eye-gougingly painful. The dialogue is so inane I wanted to hurt somebody. And as I said before, they spent something like 30 million dollars making an homage to films that were made with 1% of that kind of budget. If they were truly honoring it they should have made the films with 50k each. But that's just a side note. I probably wouldn't mind if the films were good, and they aren't.

undeadmonkey: The Last King of Scotland (2006) – I was interested in the film purely for Whitaker, but I still haven't seen it.

JohnErle: North by Northwest (1959) – A decent action flick from the master of cinema, but he made many films that were better than this.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

SO glad to see Up make a Pixar comeback! I hope I'm not the only one with it still to come :)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

MOVIE #30

Shrykespeare: Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) – Are you sure this is just the 2nd pick? Because i know i picked this, and i thought some1 else did too. But according to six, this is just a looney toon movie, well yeah, that scene where Mclane shoots out of the air is a little silly but it does not ruin the movie at all. Jackson and Willis are perfectly cast together and Irons makes very good use of his bad guyness. After recently watching the trilogy i can confirm that this is only just better than the 2nd Die Hard, and i wish i had of included it in my top 100 somewhere but still a bit short of the original. So im gonna say that Die Hard will crack your top ten Shryke, and can i put $10 on that?
Also, when UDM said we are a family, it almost brought a tear to my eye, but i wanna know, if Nico is the grandfather and you are the father, who is the mother (i think SS)? Uncles would be Six, Nspan and that strange uncle Johnerle. And the annoying brothers boosh and geez. Aunty greenarrow. Cool older bro barca. Cousins Leestu and W. The family favourite but distant Chien, second cousin. And then the little nephew UDM. So wheres becs? And Jacko? And Kompressor? :?:

silversurfer: Fargo (1996) - Well, it was the second Coens movie that i watched....and really liked (because i had watched The Big Lebowski when i was 11 and didnt get it). Buscemi, Macy and that pregnant lady are standouts. And yes i recognised that accents too, it even made me try it with some mates after seeing it, but sadly i cant imitate it, ey? :ugeek:

thegreenarrow: Withnail & I (1987) – Funny enough, i haven't seen this, great, now i must look it up. Happy?! :oops:

transformers: Friday (1995) - Good pick tranny, i enjoy this muchly. I wouldnt turn it off if it came on TV, thanks to the great characters played by Chris Tucker and Ice Cube. However, its not a top 100 pick in any world, unless you live it that particular neighbourhood.

englishozzy: Children of Men (2006) - Hey my 'Aussie' friend (why did you put English in ya username? the whole time i thought you were a pom!, and a fan of Ozzy Osbourne!) you have had some really good picks, but this isn't quite up there. Though i did like the performance of Clive Owen, he is one of the best actors of today, i still think he could have pulled off an equally good Bond as Daniel Craig. Note: my dad (who has a very unusual taste in movies) hates this. :|

Buscemi: Inglourious Basterds (2009) - Yes, im almost ashamed for not including this in my top 100, and instead featuring such lows as 'Blow'. But im glad you have included it, it has some of the best bit parts in Taratino history, Til Schweiger and Mike Myers are standouts. But from the opening scene it made me glad to have seen it in the cinema (ironically my mate fell asleep in the first 5 mins, though he had not slept for 24 hours so that justiflies that) i have now seen it about 4 times, and it still makes me think Tarantino is a modern day Kubrick.

Chienfantome: The Godfather (1972) – Marlon Brando, he can favours. He can make someone a deal they cannot refuse. He also made me watch his dealings with much interest(apart from the garden scene). I cant complain with your choice Chien, as i too rate this one higher than its sequel.

Six: The 40 Year old virgin - Ok, so everyone has guilty pleasures, you've just confirmed that. I dont mind this movie but it certainly wouldn't appear even close to my top 250 movies, so how did it come to be that this has got so high on your list? Well ok, it has some 'special moments' but its not really that funny. BUT- because you have chosen a Judd Apatow movie, you've also shown that you are human, so kudos to you sir. ;)

Banks & Barca: Up (2009) - You know i haven't really seen this all the way through properly, what im saying is i think this is a good movie but ive been interupted time and time again, with my 3 attempts. But, i like the bird. So yeah, this goes all the way up my re-watch list.

Geezer and W: Happy Gilmore (1996) - You guys know a funny movie when you see one! Yes, Stillers cameo is fairly awesome, and the caddy (Allen Covert) is good too, not forgetting Carl Weathers! Kudos to you dudes. 8-)

leestu: Rear Window (1954) - Ok, i enjoyed it plenty when i saw it for this first time, but i haven't had the chance to see this again. I was very happy though to have seen this first time tho, cause i finally understood that Simpsons episode. Its (still) my favourite hitchcock film, narrowly beating the one below, even though i have only seen a paltry 3 hitchcock movies........yeah i know, ill see Psycho and Strangers on a Train very soon. But i have a DVD of 'The Birds' right here, should i watch that now???

NSpan: Grindhouse (2007) – BURNNN, from uncle six. wellim like E Ozzy, having not been given the chance to see it as a whole. I really liked Planet Terror and the Machete trailer (pity the machete movie wasn't that good, i actually fell asleep) But Death Proof seemed to have just one good part, the road rage part. But the best word from this whole epic - BALLS! :D

undeadmonkey: The Last King of Scotland (2006) – You know UDM, i think you are more unpredictable than W with your choices, you have chosen some films i just dont like, but some that deserve credit like this one. Whitaker has a career role, and the director does good too.

JohnErle: North by Northwest (1959) – You see, this is better than Vertigo, and since you agree, i appraise you erle. A good movie, and way better than Vertigo. You know, Vertigo is overrated, so im glad you chose this, cause its better. ;)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah, Vertigo sucks! And Die Hard 3 is WAY better than the second one, which sucked.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

To answer your questions: Six, the first one is definitely coming up later, the second one is not. I did like Die Hard 2, but not nearly enough to include it on the list. The reason for that is probably that I think McTiernan is a better director than Harlin. Ron, I don't know who would take that $10 bet, but Die Hard making my Top 10... will have to remain a mystery for now. (I know, I'm such a tease.) And yes, Ron, you and I are the only ones who have picked DHwaV. Hard to believe, I know. And if UDM is the little nephew, what would that make tranny (who is 18)?

Movie #30

Buscemi - Inglourious Basterds - Bought this DVD just recently, and watched it a few days ago. What a magnificent film. (9/10)

Banks/BarcaRulz - Up - I may be the only person that has neither Toy Story nor Up on my list, but there you go. Still a terrific movie. (8/10)

Geezer/W - Happy Gilmore - Not the biggest Sandler fan; don't like him enough to sit through Billy Madison, Big Daddy, The Waterboy or Anger Management. It's only because I'm a golfer that I watched this, and it was quite amusing in places. The sheer ridiculousness of it bordered on off-putting, but I still liked it. (7/10)

Chienfantome - The Godfather - Meh. (6/10)

silversurfer - Fargo - For me, the best part of the movie was the accents of the Brai-Nerds. (5/10)

NSpan - Grindhouse - Apart from a couple of the fake trailers (including Machete), there was nothing about this film that I enjoyed. (3/10)

englishozzy - Children of Men - Nope. (3/10)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

NSpan wrote:
We had been drinking chartreuse
It's REAL?!?!
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #30

englishozzy - Children of Men (2006)
great film, i'm glad others can see it for the great movie it is.

Buscemi - Inglourious Basterds (2009)
like i said before, i was really taken aback the first time i saw it. Was not expecting the hilarity that it has. Glad i was forced to see it as i would of never seen it by myself, because it's just not the kind of movies i go for.

Banks - Up (2009)
BarcaRulz - Up (2009)
it is a wonderful film with heartfelt moments. For me though, a few minor scenes felt flat and i found the bird annoying. nevertheless, it is definitely in the top 5 of pixars best, a lovely film.

Geezer - Happy Gilmore (1996)
W - Happy Gilmore (1996)
....... *crickets*

Haven't Seen

Shrykespeare - Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995)

silversurfer - Fargo (1996)

thegreenarrow - Withnail & I (1987)

transformers - Friday (1995)

Ron Burgundy - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)

Chienfantome - The Godfather* (1972)

numbersix - The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)

leestu - Rear Window* (1954)

NSpan - Grindhouse (2007)

JohnErle - North by Northwest* (1959)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron Burgundy wrote: Shrykespeare: Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) – Are you sure this is just the 2nd pick? Because i know i picked this, and i thought some1 else did too. But according to six, this is just a looney toon movie, well yeah, that scene where Mclane shoots out of the air is a little silly but it does not ruin the movie at all. Jackson and Willis are perfectly cast together and Irons makes very good use of his bad guyness. After recently watching the trilogy i can confirm that this is only just better than the 2nd Die Hard, and i wish i had of included it in my top 100 somewhere but still a bit short of the original. So im gonna say that Die Hard will crack your top ten Shryke, and can i put $10 on that?
Also, when UDM said we are a family, it almost brought a tear to my eye, but i wanna know, if Nico is the grandfather and you are the father, who is the mother (i think SS)? Uncles would be Six, Nspan and that strange uncle Johnerle. And the annoying brothers boosh and geez. Aunty greenarrow. Cool older bro barca. Cousins Leestu and W. The family favourite but distant Chien, second cousin. And then the little nephew UDM. So wheres becs? And Jacko? And Kompressor? :?:
Hah, this made my day. Now where's my slippers....

Ron Burgundy wrote: Six: The 40 Year old virgin - Ok, so everyone has guilty pleasures, you've just confirmed that. I dont mind this movie but it certainly wouldn't appear even close to my top 250 movies, so how did it come to be that this has got so high on your list? Well ok, it has some 'special moments' but its not really that funny. BUT- because you have chosen a Judd Apatow movie, you've also shown that you are human, so kudos to you sir. ;)
I don't see it as a guilty pleasure. As I explained it's a combination of some great jokes (far more good ones than pretty much any other comedy in the last decade) and likeable characters. It's a very special film and far from something I'd ever be embarrased of.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
NSpan wrote:
We had been drinking chartreuse
It's REAL?!?!

It tastes a little bit like Jager... but it's nearly twice as strong.

I bet Chien has had it before.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Also, when UDM said we are a family, it almost brought a tear to my eye, but i wanna know, if Nico is the grandfather and you are the father, who is the mother (i think SS)? Uncles would be Six, Nspan and that strange uncle Johnerle. And the annoying brothers boosh and geez. Aunty greenarrow. Cool older bro barca. Cousins Leestu and W. The family favourite but distant Chien, second cousin. And then the little nephew UDM.
"Like!"
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I don't remember ever drinking Chartreuse, NSpan, I'm afraid, but I did drink absinthe, which must be the harder alcohol I ever drank. The one I drank was 70°...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Ron Burgundy wrote:Also, when UDM said we are a family, it almost brought a tear to my eye, but i wanna know, if Nico is the grandfather and you are the father, who is the mother (i think SS)? Uncles would be Six, Nspan and that strange uncle Johnerle. And the annoying brothers boosh and geez. Aunty greenarrow. Cool older bro barca. Cousins Leestu and W. The family favourite but distant Chien, second cousin. And then the little nephew UDM.

How come every time analagies are made between our 'family' on here, I always get the short straw?

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

silversurfer19 wrote:

How come every time analagies are made between our 'family' on here, I always get the short straw?
The matriarch is a very important position. As a Briton, you should know this!

And, hey, I bet GreenArrow thinks you're a total MILF.

Chienfantome wrote:I don't remember ever drinking Chartreuse, NSpan
Well, NOBODY does. But that's kind of the idea.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Ron Burgundy wrote:MOVIE #30
Shrykespeare: Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995) – Are you sure this is just the 2nd pick? Because i know i picked this, and i thought some1 else did too. But according to six, this is just a looney toon movie, well yeah, that scene where Mclane shoots out of the air is a little silly but it does not ruin the movie at all. Jackson and Willis are perfectly cast together and Irons makes very good use of his bad guyness. After recently watching the trilogy i can confirm that this is only just better than the 2nd Die Hard, and i wish i had of included it in my top 100 somewhere but still a bit short of the original. So im gonna say that Die Hard will crack your top ten Shryke, and can i put $10 on that?
I prefer to be thought of as the new stepfather. (Yo mamma knows what I'm talking about.)

Now go to your room! ;-)