Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of All Time (Thread #8): 30-21

Post by W »

Buscemi wrote:A story about Apocalypse Now that I didn't mention before: this is one of my mother's most hated films. Back when my parents were dating (this was about 10-11 years before I was born and a year or two before they got married), they saw the movie in the theatre (it was my dad's turn to pick the movie). My mother just flat out hated it (she isn't a fan of war films) while my dad liked it (he'll watch almost anything). For many years, my mother would tell me how much she hated it until I saw the movie when I was about 14 and loved it.

Meanwhile my mother loved Kramer vs. Kramer so if anyone brings up the Apocalypse Now/Kramer vs. Kramer debate, she would be one of the few to side with the latter.
I was going to say something earlier, but I majored in history and have a fondness for war films and loved Kramer vs. Kramer, but was extremely disappointed with Apocalypse Now. I so wanted to love the film, but found it drawn out to the point where anything meaningful was few and far between. Maybe this is because I watched Redux? I see the genius in the film, but I really didn't care for it.

Meanwhile, I have a personal/emotional connection with Kramer vs. Kramer that I have with very few films, if any, that I have watched. With that said, I didn't know there really was a debate between the two, but I'd be on the maternal side of that argument. As you'll see later, I'm also on the Oscar winning side of another debate where most "film people" think a film was hosed for Best Picture.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

MOVIE #23

Shrykespeare

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
– Director: John Carpenter; starring Kurt Russell, Kim Cattrall, James Hong, Victor Wong and Dennis Dun. It’s all in the reflexes… Has Russell ever been more endearing than as Jack Burton, the ultra-macho, ultra-clueless trucker with the John Wayne accent? A friendly wager turns into a series of rescues, escapes and fights in the seamy underbelly of San Francisco’s Chinatown (much like Six's pick today). Fantastical, otherworldly events usually require some explanation, but not here: pausing to take even a breath would ruin the obvious fun that Carpenter and his cast had making this film, which features one of the single most awesome, bizarre and hysterical fight scenes of all time, and no, you’ll never convince me otherwise. There were some tremendously cheesy action films in the 80’s, but none were as awesomely cheesy as this one. I just never get tired of watching it. The fact that it seems to be on my list only makes me think that the rest of you simply haven’t seen it.

Here are a couple of samples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4BvCC28SaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMj3e4_XoOA

silversurfer

Amelie (2001)
– Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet; starring Audrey Tautou, Matthieu Kassovitz, Rufus and Dominique Pinon. While this was not the first movie which got me into Jeunet's work, it is most certainly his greatest achievement. I first heard about Jeunet during the late 90s with Delicatessen (which also appeared on my countdown earlier), and then I saw Alien Resurrection based on the previous installments, his involvement and a certain young elfin lady (no, not Sigourney Weaver). But nothing could have prepared me for what was in store with Amelie. Denouncing some of the darker tones of City of Lost Children and Delicatessen, instead Jeunet embraced a much more whimsical plot, with Tautou iconic as the innocent and slightly naive (but always delightful) Amelie. It's such a magical story, filled with imagination and wonder, it was so uplifting and completely revived my faith in cinema, which at times has concentrated solely on hard hitting dramas to prove it's excellence, and allowing such films like this (and perhaps the fantasy movies of the 80s) to slowly disappear. Visually it is also a beautiful movie to watch, it's French setting and use of colours only serves to embrace the characters whom inhabit it, while the comedy is right up there with the very best of Delicatessen. There are not many movies which I take the effort to recommend to family and friends, as usually I'm looked at with that snobbish look I imagine the like of Geez and others would give me when recommending a foreign movie. But with Amelie I told everyone, and I'm yet to find anyone who was left disappointed by it. Delightful in every way. (6th appearance)

One of my favourite scenes - (Gnome wants to see the world)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LuUM4z9l0M

thegreenarrow

The Shining (1980)
- Director Stanley Kubrick; starring Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall and Danny Lloyd. Possibly one of my favourite openings to a movie with it's weaving scene of Nicholson's car traveling through the lush hills towards the Overlook Hotel accompanied by such ominous music, this chilling psychological tale/ ghost story was such a truly sinister movie which terrified me on it's first viewing. It's not a particularly gory movie, but it's sense of foreboding is heightened so much with it's music, imagery and sense of terror in the form of Nicholson's Jack Torrence that it truly leaves you astonished by the magnitude of it. Aside from all of the massacres going on though, I would have loved to have played in a hotel like that, with it's winding corridors and psychedelic carpets, not to mention a mind-boggling labyrinth of a maze, it looks so much fun. Just without all the murdering... Danny Lloyd is also one of the few child actors who isn't nauseatingly saccharine, and truly appears terrified in a horror movie, which is very rare. (7th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qDqdYY6-Y

transformers

Donnie Darko (2001)
- Director: Richard Kelly; starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore and Patrick Swayze. This is a love-it or hate it movie. Personally, I thought this was a piece of genius. It's a dark, twisted and complex drama that challenges the viewer and requires multiple viewings to interpret fully. Richard Kelly has struck out with his projects since this, so this seems to be his one home run. (2nd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DIhwWTHcG0

englishozzy

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
- Director: Alfonso Cuaron; starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint. There is no doubt about the impact this series has made to film industry, the amount of records it has broken is testament to the story being told from J.K. Rowling. As a fan of the books I can be very fickle when it comes down to putting an adaptation on the big screen. Fortunately the series has exceeded many expectations, delving us into the world of magic by bringing Rowling's books to life. For me, this is the pinnacle of the series (although I was quite impressed with Part 1 of the final chapter), Daniel, Emma and Rupert have grown into their roles and most of the awkwardness of first time actors have gone. Cuaron does well to improve upon a slightly disappointing Chamber of Secrets but still keeping the essence of the series very much intact. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4mpOY0KWsM

Ron Burgundy

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
- Director: Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam; starring John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Graham Chapman and Terry Gilliam. All I can say is that if you haven’t seen this, you’re in for a treat, its one of the best comedies ever. (7th appearance)

The Knights Who Say “Nee!” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e2kaQqxmQ0

Buscemi

Mystic River (2003)
- Director: Clint Eastwood; starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Marcia Gay Harden and Laurence Fishburne. Clint Eastwood adapts Dennis Lehane's novel about three Bostonians who have known each other since childhood and the inner demons that lurk within them after a murder makes them potential suspects. The writing is great along with Eastwood's direction but it is the acting that really drives the film. Penn and Robbins (both deserving of their Academy Awards) both give great performances as two of the three friends who are under the stress that one of them could be a murderer. Kevin Bacon also does a great job as the third friend and chief investigator of the case. Combined with a nice supporting cast and the direction by an American filmmaking legend, this is possibly the best film that Eastwood has ever directed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmiA24jwlbM

Chienfantome

Blade Runner (1982)
– Director: Ridley Scott; starring Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Daryl Hannah and M. Emmet Walsh. “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe…”. By these words, and the ones I do not write that follow in Rutger Hauer’s mouth, Blade Runner gained its place in the pantheon of the greatest films ever made. A film that touches the sublime by showing us the bitterness of living. Blade Runner is a sci-fi noir film blessed by the desire to explore the darkness and the light at the same time. It shows us the darkness onscreen, but it reveals the light that cannot be seen. It questions what makes us human beings. It designs a world so sad it scares as much as it fascinates. But there is beauty in it. Beauty in its characters, in its universe, in its capacity to makes us love the bad guy as much as the good guy. Many sci-fi films of the years that followed tried to look like Blade Runner. Some even succeeded. But none touched the greatness of the original. Of the world it created and the world it only evoked, making your own imagination go crazy. I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe… (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_hYs1jBy8Y

numbersix

Chinatown (1974)
- Director: Roman Polanski; starring Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, John Huston and Diane Ladd. “Forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown”. Much quoted lines, but rarely contemplated. What is Chinatown and how does it related to this neo-noir directed by Polanksi and starring Nicholson in one of his many memorable roles? It’s the story of a private dick investigating a case, much like any traditional noir. But JJ Gittes gets involved in way more than he’s expecting, when the sordid tale of water redirection in a scorched California explores elements of family abuse and incest. It’s a somewhat cynical story where power supersedes morality, and those who are supposed to uphold the law are just pawns and oblivious to whom is truly giving the orders. It takes a while to figure out what’s going on, and ultimately very few in the film actually know the whole story. Instead, life and corruption are too big and widespread to understand, just like when Gittes worked as a cop in Chinatown. And once the film ends, and we’re faced with the tragedy of what unfolds, Chinatown becomes a symbol of how we never see the whole picture, and how that can be our own downfall. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aifeXlnoqY

Banks

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
- Director: Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris; starring Steve Carell, Toni Collete, Greg Kinnear and Abigail Breslin. I assume some people see Little Miss Sunshine as sugary, unrealistic, or full of archetypes, but I truly see it as a beautiful road movie about a family learning how to accept their off-the-wall ways just as they are. With everyone on top game, it never teeters over into too lovable and scrappy, it balances itself with equal parts humor, sensitivity, and heartbreak. It’s one of those films that you almost have to stop and watch whenever it’s on TV, no matter what part you stumbled upon. I’ll especially love it as my introduction to Paul Dano, who delivers the most touching scene when he finds out his life plans may not go as planned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oabGaaCLZ5g

BarcaRulz

12 Angry Men (1957)
- Director: Sidney Lumet; starring Henry Fonda, Lee J Cobb and Martin Balsam. One of my favorite pieces of literature growing up, so it's only fitting that the film version made my list. I remember after reading this for English class, I actually watched the new version first, and while it was good in its own right, it wasn't until I watched this timeless classic that I realized how good the screen adaptation could be. A great story that shows when you think something through you will more often than not come to the correct conclusion. Fantastic acting which carries this plot-heavy film. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZ6UftfOWY

Geezer

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
- Director: Frank Darabont; starring Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman and Bob Gunton. The perfect example of a film coming full circle from beginning to end. It’s a long movie that doesn't seem long. Not much really happens but you never get bored. The characters are so likeable and so well portrayed that you remain completely engrossed throughout. And it’s the greatest, most iconic narration ever done, from the great Morgan Freeman. And the ending is just SO great. When it comes and it all plays out, you just feel awesome. And I don't know about you, but when a movie leaves me feeling that awesome, it’s going to rank pretty damn highly on my list. (5th appearance)

The Mozart scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_lp4_Jfz7U

leestu

Network (1976)
- Director: Sidney Lumet; starring Peter Finch, Faye Dunaway, William Holden and Robert Duvall. A movie that is just as relevant today as it was back then. When I watch this I always find myself so involved in the movie that when Peter Finch asks everyone to yell “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take it anymore” I find myself standing up and yelling along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQUBbpvXk2A

W

Planet of the Apes (1968)
- Director: Franklin J. Schaffner, Starring: Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowell, Kim Hunter and Maurice Evans. Though it was originally a French book and Rod Serling's screenplay was rewritten some, this film truly embodies what "The Twilight Zone" was all about. A great sci-fi story, knocking elements of contemporary American society, and a twist that rivals that of The Sixth Sense. Though I'm not a technical expert, I'd say the story is written very well and the effects/makeup are top notch considering its from the 60's. Charlton Heston gives one iconic performance as Taylor, or "Bright Eyes" if you prefer.

Damn Dirty Ape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRG6ahCs_t0

NSpan

Aliens (1986)
– Director: James Cameron; starring Sigourney Weaver, Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen. I've always been a huge fan of the first two installments of this series. Though, at the pinnacle of my film-snobbery, I dismissed Aliens as a mindless (but enjoyable) action flick while reserving the lofty title of "fine film" for the original. Well... I've grown up a bit. Ridley Scott's Alien is still a very good movie--but, historical impact aside, it isn't QUITE the amazing feat many make it out to be. In fact, I daresay it hasn't aged all that well. James Cameron's sequel, on the other hand, is every bit as good now as ever. It feels strange to be comparing Ridley Scott and James Cameron... and actually siding with Cameron. Scott's career is arguably more impressive than Cameron's. That said, it was the mid-eighties and Cameron had just made the brilliant Terminator and was still riding high on a creative peak. Scott, meanwhile, never seemed to hit a hot-streak. He's been hit-and-miss his whole career (though his highs are VERY high). Perhaps Alien and Aliens shouldn't even be compared to the extent that they have been. They are two VERY different approaches to storytelling and film-making. ... ANYWAY, the cast of the film seals the deal with Aliens. Michael Biehn (one of my favorite actors ever--it's a fucking tragedy that he never got the full recognition he deserved), Bill Paxton, and Lance Henriksen all shine. For the record, the "extended version" (or "director's cut"--or whatever it's called) is the ONLY way to watch it nowadays. And that is the version I am recommending here on my Top 100. PS. Just for nostalgia's sake, check out the vampire flick Near Dark. It's an Aliens reunion! (4th appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyWV3krs4T8

undeadmonkey

Some Like It Hot (1959)
– Director: Billy Wilder; starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. Another classic film that I’m very surprised has only showed up once (at the time of me sending this to Shryke) (Note: it’s now appeared twice before this.). A classic comedy that doesn’t just make you laugh but also feel happy and warm inside. Great comedic performances and timing by the stars, fantastic and interesting direction by Wilder, Honestly the film doesn’t even feel dated one bit. There is a lot of slapstick and far-fetched situations but these characters are so well written so that it never seems out of character. Also, of course I haven’t seen plenty of movies, but this film has to have some of the best dialogue ever, including the iconic last line, which I will also respect and not spoil for people who haven’t seen it. It is one of the most perfect endings of any movie. Period. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhdD5n405I

JohnErle

Misery (1990)
– Director: Rob Reiner; starring Kathy Bates, James Caan and Richard Farnsworth. A black comedy/thriller done to perfection with two impeccable leads. (3rd appearance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3MCYcc4Vg

The Shining and Holy Grail jump up to #7 and #8. Amelie is now #12. Shawshank breaches the Top 20.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MOVIE #23

silversurfer - Amelie (2001) - I've only seen this once so far. While i'm not as affectionate of it as it seems other on here are i did really like. Maybe someday when i see it again, i will come to like it more. Interesting note, Amelie was the first ever foreign film i saw, ( i think so anyways, 90% sure, it's either that or Hero) So that might have hindered me a bit the first time. Either way i'd love to rewatch it some day now that i am more accustomed to subtitles and they seem normal to me.

transformers - Donnie Darko (2001) - I loved it the first time that i saw it, but after a bit, or a lot of pondering over it, my enthusiasm died down a bit. I still like it and it's enjoyable, but i just don't like it enough to want to rewatch it really.

englishozzy - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) - Ooh another one has it. I know there are a few naysayers on here, but i find the whole series so much fun, (not quite as fun as the books but still). The first two are magical and there is an almost innocence to them, but here is where the story really takes off. It's the same in the books, I think it's because it was after the second book was released that Rowling finally finished the arch of the whole story and the ret of the books seem more focused and are heading somewhere. hah, sorry a bit off topic, but i love the movie as well. The time travel works really well and is fun. It's the first time in the series were it gets a bit 'scary'. great choice, great movie.

Ron Burgundy - Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - must disagree about the 'treat'. but i'm sure you disagree with that as most everyone else does too.

Chienfantome - Blade Runner (1994) – hmmm, that's an amazing description. Sadly though, i didn't get any of that out of the movie the two times i have seen it. The first time it was barely ok, as i had never seen it before and it was considered a classic so i sat through it. the second time i saw it however, it was barely bearable. The truth is, i wanted to love it, but i was just so bored and i couldnt muster any concern for any of the characters. It's a shame, as i love the genre and everything that goes with it. Maybe someday i will see it again, and it will click just like the way you said, but it might not be anytime soon.

Banks - Little Miss Sunshine (2006) - wow, lately there have been quite a few movies i haven't liked, at all. this is another. I didn't like any of the characters, i thought they were all despicable with awful traits. I felt they should get over themselves or get some professional help.

Sorry, i don't mean to rag on you or anyone, and my point is not to offend. like i've said before, opinions are opinions and i hope everyone takes them as that. (hah, felt like i needed to put a bit of a disclaimer as i've been ragging on quite a few movies the past couple of days)

BarcaRulz - 12 Angry Men (1957) - I can't help but think six wont like this movie. the reason i say that is because of the moral that you cited
when you think something through you will more often than not come to the correct conclusion
is the exact opposite of what a lot of his favorite films say. although, i could be wrong, as it is a well made movie with great acting and really interesting camera work considering. As for me, i'm glad i've seen this 'classic' and it was enjoyable enough but i doubt i would ever watch it again.

Geezer - The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - i must agree as i have it on my own list.

Haven't Seen

Shrykespeare - Big Trouble in Little China (1986) – I've always thought this looked incredibly cheesy, so at first glance when i saw you post it, i thought well it must have some redeeming qualities, and then you jsut basically admit it is one of the cheesiest out there.

thegreenarrow - The Shining (1980)

Buscemi - Mystic River* (2003)

numbersix - Chinatown* (1974) - liked the description. made me interested in seeing it.

leestu - Network* (1976)

W - Planet of the Apes* (1968)

NSpan - Aliens* (1986)

JohnErle - Misery (1990)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I don't know what went through my mind when I wrote down the year of Blade Runner... I must have mixed things up in my Top. Of course Blade Runner is from 1982, and not 1994...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

W wrote:
Shryke wrote:Well, Chien, W might argue differently, but if you had to choose between Real Genius and Bio-Dome, go with Real Genius.
Nope, I'd probably recommend Real Genius. Mainly because I wouldn't want to piss off the Frenchman. If I were to recommend a film he's said he hasn't seen while doing this countdown, I'd recommend Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
You'v got a good memory, W. Indeed I have not seen Willy Wonka, and hope to someday.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

MOVIE #23

Shrykespeare: Big Trouble in Little China (1986) – Everyone talks about their guilty pleasures and I struggles to come up with something I like and can't justify. But Carpenter's films come close (to be honest, The Thing is really the only one I truly like). I adored this film as a kid, watching it several times across the space of one summer. I found the portrayal of Jack Burton to be funny, as indeed he is macho and somewhat ineffecient (a mild dig at white America's difficulties in integrating with foreign cultures perhaps?) hero. And the imagination of the magical world under Chinatown is damn fun. Pity it bombed, as it really started the descent of Carpenter's career. I recently saw The Ward and it is awful in comparison to stuff like this.

silversurfer: Amelie (2001) – Delightful indeed, and it's proof of its general likeability that it has featured on 6 of our lists so far. A beautiful, wonderful, passionate film. I don't know about NZ or anywhere else, but I have noticed that Amelie has strangel influenced TV ads over here. Not only for their colour schemes and music, but also there's been a few ads that employ the deadpan voice-over of the film's early moments which list the interests/thoughts/fears of young Amelie and those around her.

thegreenarrow: The Shining (1980) - An amazing effort in atmosphere. Fortunately Kubrick didn't rely solely on this and created a surprisingly dense tale which for me is about the fading notion of traditional masculinity and how some can't deal with it.

transformers: Donnie Darko (2001) - I considered it for my Top 100, but I think time is distancing me from it. Or perhaps its Richard's subsequent movies, which did strike out as you said. NSpan thinks the film only works with the Director's Cut, but for me it went too far into Kelly's mythos and I felt it diverted us too much from the real point (the fear of death). I prefer the original cut though it should have had one scene included. Anyway, when I first watched it I was taken aback by its mood and atmosphere. It was like David Lynch and John Hughes had a lovechild.

englishozzy: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) - I'm not a fan of any of the Potter films, as I felt they all dragged in terms of the overall story. They should have been a trilogy of movies, and not 8. This is my favourite, just because of Cuaron's direction. He commands the screen and his sense of pace makes the film breeze along in comparison to the others.

Ron Burgundy: Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - Can't get enough of this film.

Buscemi: Mystic River (2003) - I think I have to watch this again. I dug the performances but I remember finishing it and not being particularly satisfied, and I can't remember why. It's his best since The Unforgiven but that doesn't say much considering I'm not a fan ;)

Chienfantome: Blade Runner (1982) – I would go even further and say the film wants us to like the bad guy even more than the good guy. It's ironic that the replicants are more human-acting than the humans themselves. Then again, I'm not even sure if Deckard is human himself! An amazing and profound piece of sci-fi.

Banks: Little Miss Sunshine (2006) - Not a bad film, but at the time I was getting a bit frustrated with independent US cinema, as all that was being made was the same kind of bittersweet comedies about dysfunctional families. Carell did impress me in this as he wasn't playing for laughs, and it has a nice ending. Good, but far from great for me.

BarcaRulz: 12 Angry Men (1957) - For me I can't help but feel the story isn't about truth, but about how justice is entirely dependent on who can argue the best. It does a good job of teasing out the bias of the jurors, and Fonda is excellent. But something just doesn't sit right. I just noticed this is in IMDB's Top 10!

Geezer: The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - The 5th of many more appearances. I'm going to guess another 3 people will pick this before the countdown is over. A good film, but personally I don't see the greatness in it that everyone else does. There's something to easy about it. Maybe it's the lack of race issues, I'm not sure. But there's no real flaws to it, to be honest.

leestu: Network (1976) - A powerful film about the mundanity of life. I wonder if the Talking Heads were inspired by this movie?

W: Planet of the Apes (1968) - It's hard not to watch it and see it as very kitsch. An interesting idea.

NSpan: Aliens (1986) – I agree in that comparing the two films is difficult as they're essentially different genres. But that's what's brilliant about Cameron's sequel, it didn't try to compete. However, I don't think Alien has dated at all. Scott's use fo realistic dialogue blocking makes it feel fresh even today. I also don't see what you see in Biehn. He was in 3 good movies, but he didn't have much of a range. He just looked intense! And finally in my batch of diagreements, I don't prefer the Director's cut. The gun tripod scene just lessens the impact of the motion tracker scene (which is when we should realise that these things are smart!), the flashback to the colony is unnecessary, as is a lot of the other added dialogue (only Ripley finding out about her daughter is worth including). Okay, enough debate, this is an excellent film and ultimately rewatchable, and full of incredibly memorable scenes. And I did indeed watch Near Dark just because of the cast associations!

undeadmonkey: Some Like It Hot (1959) – Great dialogue indeed. Wilder had a great ear for witty dialogue, whih is funny considering he wasn't a native English speaker and he could never shed his thick German accent! An excellent comedy from a master film-maker.

JohnErle: Misery (1990) – A very well made thriller.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

undeadmonkey wrote:
BarcaRulz - 12 Angry Men (1957) - I can't help but think six wont like this movie. the reason i say that is because of the moral that you cited
when you think something through you will more often than not come to the correct conclusion
is the exact opposite of what a lot of his favorite films say. although, i could be wrong, as it is a well made movie with great acting and really interesting camera work considering. As for me, i'm glad i've seen this 'classic' and it was enjoyable enough but i doubt i would ever watch it again.
Well, I would say that Rashomon, a film in my Top 25, completely embodies that idea.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

You've only seen The Matrix out of these, Ozzy ?!?! Dude, you've got some films to see ! You've never seen Back to the Future and Star Wars !
Ya i know its bad but you gotta remember Back to the Future was my own pick :s Star Wars has never appealed to me.
"Then telephone for an axe"

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Transformer - Fortunately i love it :) A very playful film and i personally think that Kelly's follow-ups havent been too bad. 10/10

Ron - This film seems to be coming up a bit lately including on my own list. #26. 9/10

Banks - A light and enjoyable film and i agree that the cast makes this film a lot better than it should of been. 7/10

Geezer - I got a sneaky feeling this is going to come up a few more times, including on my own list. 10/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

A few random thoughts on recent picks:

Big Trouble In Little China - John Carpenter is underrated as a director. He made a lot of fun genre movies in the 80s (plus a lot of dreck in the 90s and beyond) and Big Trouble is one of his best. Sure, it's cheesy, but nothing in this movie is meant to be taken seriously, so it works.

Aliens - I still prefer the original, but Cameron's sequel is an excellent movie nonetheless and manages to add some new elements to the Alien mythos.

Chinatown - I read the screenplay first and it was one of the best I'd ever read. Maybe that's why I was underwhelmed by the finished product. I love the gritty look of 70s movies, but when I watch this film I see the 70s, not the era it's supposed to be portraying. It's still a good movie, but I preferred the script and I preferred L.A. Confidential, so there. ;-)

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:NSpan: Aliens (1986) – I also don't see what you see in Biehn. He was in 3 good movies, but he didn't have much of a range. He just looked intense! And finally in my batch of diagreements, I don't prefer the Director's cut. The gun tripod scene just lessens the impact of the motion tracker scene (which is when we should realise that these things are smart!), the flashback to the colony is unnecessary, as is a lot of the other added dialogue (only Ripley finding out about her daughter is worth including).
Yeah, he got typecast after two great performances in Terminator and Aliens. Navy Seals just wasn't necessary (...at all). I don't like the Abyss, but it was cool to see Biehn as a villain. The Seventh Sign was majorly flawed--but it showed he could play leading man WITHOUT holding an automatic weapon. He had fun cameos in The Rock and T2. Deadfall is probably the absolute BEST worst movie ever fucking made. And Grindhouse showed us that, even now, he's still got it. But the real reason I cite him as a great actor--and not just a has-been badass from the 80s--is Tombstone. I thought his portrayal of Johnny Ringo MADE that movie.

Anyway, back to Aliens, I (along with most people) enjoy the tripod scene. Showing us Newt's parents getting killed wasn't necessary--though it doesn't detract from the film. But, most importantly (and as you pointed out), the scenes regarding Ripley's daughter are ESSENTIAL. Without them, the importance of the relationship between Ripley and Newt is completely diminished. In all, the extended version answers a lot more questions, fleshes out both the story and the characters and, in my opinion, works better as a whole.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I totally forgot that he was in Tombstone. Man, that movie had a hell of a cast, and a lot of them were at the top of their game in it (I'm looking at you, Mr. Kilmer).

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Movie #23

Ron Burgundy - The Holy Grail - Coming up on my list. Could be #1, I'm not sure. (10/10)

Geezer - The Shawshank Redemption - Top Ten for me. (10/10)

NSpan - Aliens - I think I've seen the extended version once. I remember the scene with Newt's family, but I don't remember what happened regarding Ripley's daughter. Can you enlighten me (in spoilers, if necessary)? (9/10)

englishozzy - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Just didn't like this as much as most people did. It all seemed to dark and matt-gray after the whimsical chapters helmed by Columbus. (7/10)

Buscemi - Mystic River - Don't remember much about this film, but the performances were terrific. (6/10)

thegreenarrow - The Shining - Yikes, SEVEN times? Wow. (6/10)

JohnErle - Misery - Meh. (5/10)

I've seen Blade Runner and Planet of the Apes, but it's been more than two decades so I can't really comment. Some Like it Hot too.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shryke - Big Trouble in Little China
It's one of those fun loking films that I have never managed to come across, unfortunately. Never seen it.

Surfer - Amelie
6th appearance already for the Jeunet marvel ! It's fantastic to witness all this love for Amelie. Can you believe the Cannes Film Festival turned it down back then ? It's a film that makes you fall in love cinema, with life, with happiness, with Paris, with everything.

Greenarrow - The Shining
Kubrick's intense psychological film gets a lot of love too. It's one of the most chilling film there is, because it not only plays with your nerves, but also with your mind. I need to watch it again.

transformers - Donnie Darko
I was the only one to have listed Darko, really ? Damn. It was about time someone else express some love for the Kelly twisted sci-fi feature. I couldn't put it better than what Six wrote. A lovechild between Lynch and Hughes, it's a great description of it :D

Ozzy - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Clearly the best Harry Potter film. Easily. Because you can sense the work of a director behind it, and not just someone putting images onscreen for the books, like it's done too often with the other films. This one, and the 6th, are the only ones I really like.

Ron B - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
More love for the knights who say "Ni !" and the villagers trying to burn the fake wiiiitch. A delight of absurdity. Great comedy.

Buscemi - Mystic River
Before starting this Top 100, I wanted to rewatch this film. Because I loved it in theater and haven't seen it since. And because, unlike that foolish Irish friend of ours (;)), I consider Eastwood to be amongst the very best directors working. But I haven't rewatched it, so I haven't included it. But it's an excellent film, where the sober and classy Eastwood touch finds a group of actors in perfect symbiosis with their characters. A powerful film.

Six - Chinatown
I have only seen Chinatown once, on video, something like 10 or 12 years ago. A bit like the other Nicholson film listed in this round, The Shining. Two films that really impressed me, and that I really need to watch again.

Banks - Little miss sunshine
Although it's true there seems to be a sort of US indie vibe that look too much alike in certain films, Little Miss Sunshine is a delightful little film, with a lot of heart, and transported by a terrific cast. The actors are all terrific and elevate the film. DeVotchka's music is also great in it.

Barca - 12 angry men
I've discovered it in theater a couple of years ago, and it was an impressive film, that manages to build tension without leaving a single room, and exploring the power of the words and debates. Great film.

Geezer - The Shawshank Redemption
An ever surprising film by how it manages to touch me with such a classical and simple story. On the paper it doesn't seems to be THAT great. And yet it is.

leestu - Network
Lumet scores twice in this round, and with two excellent films. Network is still relevant today, as you say leestu, and it still is a damn fine film, with a strong voice to be heard.

W - Planet of the Apes
It is surprising that this is the first time this film has been mentioned. It may have aged a bit in terms of design and effects, but it's still an exciting and enjoyable film that must have been riveting to discover back in '68.

NSpan - Aliens
I'll let you guys discuss whether the director's cut is better than the original cut, I'll just sit there and say "Meh. I'd rather watch the other three" with a little grin on my face... ;)

UDM - Some like it hot
I certainly like it hot :D A gem of a comedy.

JohnErle - Misery
I loved the book, but still haven't seen the film...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare wrote: NSpan - Aliens - I think I've seen the extended version once. I remember the scene with Newt's family, but I don't remember what happened regarding Ripley's daughter. Can you enlighten me (in spoilers, if necessary)? (9/10)
Well, it's not realy integral to the plot, but Ripley is told that she was pregnant during the hypersleep between Alien and Aliens, and her child died. This explains her maternal instinct towards Newt. NSpan believes this is essential, but personally I got the maternal thing without knowing about a daughter, so I don't think it's necessary.