Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Movies of the New Millennium (2000-)

Post by numbersix »

Banks and W, get your next 10 films in ASAP!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Banks
Mr & Mrs Smith – Seen it once and it was ok. Nothing more
Wreck-It Ralph – Really like this, homage to a few old games plus lots of heart
Man of Steel – I remember a friend of mine gave this 10/10. So I was really looking forward to it, I ended up giving it 7/10
Minority Report – Had we made this list a few years back it would have been in my top, but now I think its lost some of its gloss. Still, far from bad
Star Trek – I liked this a lot when it came out, that said, I didn’t like the 2nd and still haven’t seen the 3rd. Strong cast work well together.
True Grit – Somehow the movie wasn’t as good as the first time I saw it. Jeff Bridges is great but the young lass is more or less annoying. Still a decent film and also got Barry Pepper
Deathproof – Cant say I liked this very much. Least fav from QT
Captain America: Civil War – Very enjoyable action and is far superior to Iron Man 3.
Whiplash – I liked this one. But not completely sure if there are music teacher’s out there like J.K Simmons’.
Amelie – Need to see this again. I liked it. Has its own style.
Ratatouile – On my list, great Pixar.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower – On the WL
Unbreakable – On my list, though having seen it recently prob rated it a tad too high.
Pan’s Labyrinth – I thought this was over-rated when it came out, but should try it again.
The Mist – Saw it during the countdown (again) and enjoyed it. Love that last scene with Marcia Gay Harden.
Children of Men – Another one I rewatched during the countdown. Its pretty good, with the last action packed quarter the best part.

Boosh
Django Unchained – Such a treat to see this in cinema.
Waltz with Bashir – Haven’t watched it
Hero – I thought it had some boring parts to it. But its been a long time since I saw it.
Brokeback Mountain – Haven’t seen it
De Palma – And again
United 93 – And again, no plans to see it. Change my mind….
Capote – Heard this was boring, but I know I should have seen this by now
Letters from Iwo Jima – wow, quite a few in a row I haven’t seen
Man on Wire – It was ok at best for me.
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – Love this movie
Star Trek – Solid reboot, great cast
Inception – On my list, the south park parody is excellent too ;)
Grindhouse – I also see it as 1 double header, though I prefer Planet Terror a lot more.
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly – You know thinking about it, I should have found a place in my top for this little gem, good pick.
Amy – Should watch it
Sin City – Remember being absolutely blown away by this in cinema, still a great movie

Chien
Spirited Away – Terrific fantasy flick
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – I didn’t like this much, thought it was very boring, should try again.
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou – I remember not seeing this for years until I did. Really good movie
Poetry – Have not seen
Donnie Darko – I think this is very over rated
The Adventures of Tintin – This is little bit of surprise to see it on anyones list, let alone yours. I liked it, especially seeing it in 3D.
Right Now, Wrong Then – Not seen
Howl’s Moving Castle – I really like putting this on when it rains. And normally the English voices version with Billy Crystal and Christian Bale.
Children of Men – If you had of told me this would be in our collective list before the count id say you’re batshit crazy. I think ill be wrong about that thought.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Sorry, nope, not a fan despite loving Fincher.
Gran Torino – Actively hate this one.
The New World – I watched this during the countdown, and it was a big surprise, not only did I recognise the director and a few faces, it was an inspiring adventure taking you back in time. Good pick
Breathless – Havent seen.
Toni Erdmann – I really want to see this now.
Interstellar – On my list, head was spinning when the credits rolled.
The Good, the Bad, the Weird – Need to see this, I remember starting it a while ago but couldn’t get comfortable and turned it off.

John
Gone Baby Gone – A massive surprise upon release, I quite like this one.
The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies – I wanted to like The Hobbit and its sequels so much. But this one was more or less an utter disappointment. Hate those slow mo fight scenes.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – It really should have been 2 movies, with extended versions available on blu ray, id argue more money could be made than splitting it in 3, however, with Peter Jackson losing his mojo, hard to say.
The 40 Year Old Virgin – Initially I didn’t like it but it grew on me the 2nd time.
Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix – Not bad, but far from top for me
Nebraska – I like this, fairly surprised at it too.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – On my list, the best HP I reckon
Kissing Jessica Stein – This is a surprise, haven’t seen it though
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – This is the best of them.
O Brother, Where Art Thou? – Very decent pick. Prob just out or around my 150 range.
The Social Network – On my list too.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes – As above
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe – My older brother was a fan of the book back in the day. I wasn’t, but the movie is so so.
The Woman in Black – I should watch this
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – I remember mowing down this book in a week or so, much faster than my normal (snails) pace. The film was ok, but not great compared to the book
All is Lost -

Six
Pans Labyrinth – I didn’t think this was all that good.
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance – Should have seen this by now, I blame lack of subtitles
Amelie – Good movie, just forgot why I liked it.
Syriana – I remember this being somewhat boring. Should try it again.
Incendies – Really, really want to see this
The Hunt – On my list, such a reserved emotional film
Moon – Another one on my list, absolutely agree that its half way through twist is terrific in timing
The Congress – Have not seen, remember wanting to
Blue Ruin – Seen this one 3 times, and quite sadly each subsequent viewing somehow made the movie worse. That said I really liked it the first time.
Toni Erdmann – Another one HIGH on the WL now
Vicky Cristina Barcelona – Remember this being a PTA cash cow, but have not seen it
INLAND EMPIRE – Tried watching this, only got 15 mins in, looks hardcore budget style, wondering if I will like it at all
War of the Worlds – Somehow this one put me to sleep in cinema. Do I try again?
The Tribe – Would like to see this
The Duke of Burgundy – As above
Killing them Softly – A little bit of a surprise, I liked it but didn’t think it was top stuff.

Shryke
The Equalizer – I kinda liked this angle, and the start was pretty good, but then somewhere halfway the movie lost me.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Seen this 3 or 4 times now, and I must say its better than I first thought- gone from a 6.5/10 to probably nearly 7.5/10
Horton Hears a Who! – I thought it was ok, definitely a fun movie
The Hunger Games – In 20/30 years time, I wont be surprised to see this in a lot of peoples top 25 films of all time. It is good no doubt, just a real shame the sequels did not live up
Inglorious Basterds – Terrific QT, so many good bits
Shrek – On my list too, so hard to dislike this
Matchstick Men – Not bad, not bad
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol – It was a decent reboot of the cast, just lacked the tension of the first MI.
Cars – I probably was harsh on this upon release, but its very entertaining.
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter – Big fan of the book, and I don’t read many books. So had very high expectations for the theatrical version. Too high it was…
Source Code – I still think this could have been a little bit better, still good though
Captain America: The First Avenger – On my list, top notch superhero movie
Zootopia – Don’t remember anything in particular about this
Saw – You know, I probably should have found room for this in my top somewhere. It’s a great new millennium horror movie.
Charlie Wilson’s War – Didn’t watch this till last year. Cant remember much about it tbh.
Inside Out – Saw this on a plane, I was disappointed. Cant really say much more till I seen it again.

Tranny

The Rundown – Haven’t seen this one
22 Jump Street – Solid sequel in the sad age of comedy
Straight Outta Compton – Somehow it a good biopic which I think is not very reflective of what actually happened. So gotta treat it as semi fiction I think
Lucky Number Slevin – Very entertaining first time round. But plot thins next time round
Black Swan – No complaints here. Solid pick
Gone Baby Gone – As above, great cast
The Hurt Locker – Now that PTSD is more well known id like to revisit this.
Shaun of the Dead – Pretty tough to dislike, characters all lovable, but I like Hot Fuzz more
City of God – Terrific movie, top pick tranny!
The Hangover – Remember this having more laughs in cinema than most post 2000, but misses out for my top because subsequent viewings didn’t quite hold up. Maybe if they just didn’t do ANY sequels I’d rate this higher
300 – Very entertaining, considered it for my top. Still waiting for the next ‘300’ from the director
Grandma’s Boy – Highly enjoyable comedy.
Star Trek – This is popping up more and more, solid pick.
Manchester By the Sea – Im very much on the fence with this one. Not sure about the situation Casey Affleck finds himself in.
Wet Hot American Summer – One I missed out on release, catching up to it a while ago was a huge surprise, it was very funny even if it did have several cringe worthy scenes. My favourite character is easily Christopher Meloni’s Gene

Surfer
Her – Good movie, good choice
The Triplets of Belleville – Good movie, great choice
Spider-Man – Average movie, not a big spidey fan
Boyhood – You have to applaud the director here, somehow it works
Fantastic Mr Fox – Very entertaining, I liked this
Volver – Not seen
Coraline – Tried to watch this but didn’t get far
Toy Story 3 – My least fav of the 3 Toy Story movies, but a far bit
Dead Man’s Shoes – It was ok
The Hunt – Very good movie, on my list too
Mother – On my WL
The Lord of the Rings – Yeah, it was decent
Zodiac – Seen it a couple times, but it seems so long ago, good movie
Monster’s Inc – Top pixar stuff that has to be in the top of the top list
Requiem For a Dream – On my list too…

UDM
Girl with the Dragon Tatoo – I like the original
Girl With a Dragon Tattoo Trilogy – Yeah, the original is good, haven’t seen the Remake
Harry Potter-Order of the Phoenix – Not bad
Harry Potter-Goblet of Fire – Thought it was good
Mean Girls – Very entertaining, Lindsay Lohan took a nosedive not long after this…
Man on Fire – Surprised to see this pop up again, thought it was average
The Day After Tomorrow – Not bad, just not near my top
The Village – Kind of a guilty pleasure for me, I kinda like this
Shrek – On my list, good pick
Julie and Julia – Have not seen
The Dark Knight – Very good, with a good villain too
28 Days Later – Watched this again recently, really good zombie movie
The Adjustment Bureau – First thought is Meh, but it wasn’t bad
Spirited Away – On my list too 
Spiderman – Not a big fan, but cant say it was bad.
X-men – If you think about it, that this came out almost 20 years ago and the Marvel movie history since, its almost incredible. And this is part the reason why that history happened…

W
Kingsman: The Secret Service – Surprisingly good
The Muppets – Solid movie, great little songs
Moonrise Kingdom – On my list too, I liked it a lot.
Up – It’s a great flick
The Secret in their Eyes – Not seen it
Me Before You – Hmm, don’t think ive watched this
I am Legend – Had to turn this off the other day, well change channels at least
The Station Agent – Good movie, something odd but remarkably realistic about it.
Walk the Line – Took Joaquin Phoenix to gold class
Hotel Rwanda – Very emotional film, I was too young when to know what happened at the time, when I saw this, I could still hardly believe it happened. A Well done film
The Fast and the Furious – Entertaining, but aged poorly
Love and Other Drugs – It was ok
Downfall – Didn’t see all of this one
A Knight’s Tale – just cant get into this one, I think I liked it a fair bit when it first came out.
The Dark Knight - Solid
10 Cloverfield Lane – Have not seen
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Now that's a debrief !!!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Banks, The Hangover : the first one is fun, it's not as great as its success indicates, but it's fun.
Boosch, Life Aquatic : Beautiful film, as funny and melancholic as a Wes Anderson is expected to be.
John, Sideways : Great acting, great writing, yep, it's a great film.
Six, The Tree of Life : Definitely Malick's best since The Thin Red Line, it's marvelous, fascinating, ambitious like no other film.
Ron, Elite Squad : Mmmmm.... it was good. And it questions how hard you want to fight crime. Haven't seen since theater.
Shryke, Argo : It was alright. Not as good as his previous, but better than Affleck's latest.
Surf, Prisoners : A remarkable crime drama.
Tranny, This is the end : yeah, this is really really really funny.
UDM, Junebug : I remember being disappointed it wasn't released in France as I really wanted to see it. And thus I've never seen it, unfortunately.
W, Role Models : Not amongst my favorite US comedies of this century, but it was fun.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

BANKS The Hangover (2009) - It was ok, but i actually don't remember much of it.

BUSCEMI The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) - Only thing i remember of this is that i was bored to tears.

SHRYKESPEARE Argo (2012) - maybe it's just my weekend hangover, but another film i've seen recently but i just remember nothing about it

SURFER Prisoners (2013) - great movie, so tense and the atmosphere is perfectly haunting.

TRANSFORMERS This is the End (2013) - Just not my style. I know it's meant to be over the top and tongue in cheek, but it's not funny to me.

UNDEADMONKEY Junebug (2005) - I only saw it because it was a new release at the movie store i worked at, it was required to watch a few of them per week so we could make recommendations to potential customers. It's hard for me to describe this movie, Before this I had always loved watching movies and enjoyed the stories and the more fantastical the better. This movie changed me, It's not fantastical in the least, it's a about a son living in Chicago who visits his small town family with his new wife, It could have easily been a slow mundane story full of cliches. It is slow but its certainly not boring, we get full rounded characters instead of stereotypical simpleton small town folk or hard and cold city people. There's a melancholy atmosphere that permeates the film, having grown up in a small town the movie felt so real. i was just captivated by it as i had been by any hobbits, bullet-time or pirates. Last but certainly not least, I was blown away by Amy Adams. She's the heart of the movie and while her 4 consecutive Oscar nominations are worthy she hasn't topped this role since.

W Role Models (2008) - :lol: 4th one this round. I had to look it up and i know i've seen it but i remember nothing....

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Does anyone have W's email address? He's out of films now.

Also, same with Banks, as he runs out tomorrow.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

BANKS

Ray
(2004) - It's a standard biopic, that just happens to be an extraordinary musician and man in Ray Charles. The production lucked out when they found Jamie Foxx, who goes from comedy sidekick to a dramatic force to be reckoned with. And it got robbed in a weak Best Picture category that year, which still chaps my hide.

BUSCEMI

Gone Baby Gone
(2007)

CHIENFANTOME

Drive
(2011) - A car driving through the night of LA, like a rocket. The lights of the city. The first keys of an 80’s like tune. Drive’s pulse starts to beat quickly, from the very first moments. In fact it’s our pulse beating on the same rhythm as the film, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. A ruffling pulse, a luxurious, calm and bloody shot of adrenaline. An everyday superhero’s odyssey, dark and violent, a modern knight cut in cold-blood and mystery, improbable encounter between an extreme darkness and a pure candour. Drive is a tempo, a camera sliding over town, an intoxicating music always appearing at the right moment, with few effects, few dialogues. Despite the violence unchained, a fascinating calm reigns. Drive is also a character, a grounded superman, strong and romantic, invincible but tired, drawn by his contours, with abstract touches. Drive is a film that hypnotized me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBiOF3y1W0Y

JOHNERLE

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
(2002) - The second act is the hardest part to pull off in any film, and The Two Towers does suffer from being the second act in a larger trilogy. The only thing that really matters in this story is Frodo's quest to destroy the One Ring, and very little of what happens in The Two Towers gets him any closer to completing that quest. This is also the first film of the trilogy to separate the fellowship, so the constant cutting back and forth from one story to another makes it hard for the film to maintain a feeling of forward momentum. Still, the battle of Helm's Deep is the most epic fantasy set piece ever committed to film, and as a part of the best trilogy of the millennium, it deserves a spot high on my list. I wonder if I would have liked it more if they'd kept the structure of the book, focusing on the Aragon/Treebeard storyline, then a short interlude followed by Frodo's story, ending with the journey through Shelob's lair. With so many different releases of these films already, I would probably buy these films yet again if Jackson went back into the edit room to deliver a Tolkein Cut.

NUMBERSIX

Moonrise Kingdom
(2012) – For me this was Wes Anderson’s return to form. While I’ve like all his films, I felt he was focusing more on style over substance. And you could argue this does the same, but in dealing with first love it has a bit more heart to it. It’s a sweet, funny, and beautiful film about a young couple who go on the run, defying family, friends, and fellow cub scouts. The two leads are charming (and appear together in last year’s Paterson), and surrounded by great roles from Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Frances Macdormand, Tilda Swinton, and of course Bill Murray.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnyoHZa5rrQ

RON BURGUNDY

The Guest
(2014)

SHRYKESPEARE

Ocean's Eleven
(2001) - A lot of people complain that this film is all style, no substance, but I say to them: "Who fucking cares?" Ocean's Eleven is just so FUN, laid-back and jam-packed with A-listers, who fill up the screen and yet don't overcrowd it. The first sequel lost a lot of the magic (but the second one got some of it back), and yet, for those that dared to remake a Rat Pack movie, they did just fine.

SURFER

The Host
(2006)

TRANSFORMERS

Fruitvale Station
(2013) - Fruitvale Station serves as a potent reminder of how powerful fact-based films can when they're executed properly. You know exactly how Oscar Grant's story is going to end as soon as the film starts, but thanks to the tremendous efforts of those on both sides of the camera, it still manages to be an engrossing and devastating viewing experience. Ryan Coogler's terrific script and minimalist direction gives the film the feeling of a documentary, and the career-defining performances from Michael B. Jordan, Melonie Diaz and Octavia Spencer make the finale absolutely soul-crushing to watch.

UNDEADMONKEY

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
(2007)

W

Monsters, Inc.
(2001)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks, Ray - Great biopic. One of my faves.

Buscemi, Gone Baby Gone - Decent. Didn't expect it to show up on three lists.

Chien, Drive - Loved this film. Visceral yet enjoyable.

JohnErle, LOTR: TTT - Coming up on my list.

Surfer, The Host - Great Korean creature movie. The ending broke my heart

W, Monsters, Inc. - Decent Pixar flick.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks: Haven't seen, but you lost me at "standard biopic"
Boosch: The gritty style and ridiculous plot don't mesh.
Drive: Hmmm... it's stylish but that's about it. I always argue that the soundtrack counts for about 50% of the film's quality. I also hated Mulligan's character.
John: Well described. The narrative split is frustrating, and feels like a digression. But what a battle. That said, I'm glad they left Shelob until part 3. In the book it spends a bunch of pages building up that spider and then something like one page defeating it, making it feel like an anti-climax.
Ron: Enjoyable stuff.
Shryke: I fucking care! ;). Sorry dude, but it's like a 2 hour perfume ad. All slick visuals but nothing else.
Surf: Excellent film - possibly the most Spielbergian film not made by the man himself (Super 8 doesn't count as it screws it up).
Tranny: I like Jordan's performance, but the narrative is too trapped by the real story.
UDM: A wonderfully melancholic film, with some of the best cinematography and music this century.
W: One of my favourite Pixar flicks.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Banks, Ray : You say it yourself, it's a standard biopic, which is the most boring and uninteresting genre cinema has ever come up with when it stays too much in its own standards. So yeah, uninteresting film which definitely was not robbed anything at the Oscars.
Boosch, Gone Baby Gone : Wow, this one has been listed A LOT. And it's Affleck best film as a director so good for it. A strong noir film.
John, The Two Towers : The middle film definitely is the hardest to judge as it's really a bridge between the opening and the closure, but it's one intense film, yes.
Six, Moonrise Kingdom : Any inclusion of a Wes Anderson film is a good choice. I'm not as big a fan of this one as you are, but it's a wonderful film nonetheless.
Ron, The Guest : Haven't seen !
Shryke, Ocean's 11 : Yeaaaaah, I care too. And actuaklly I didn't find it any fun, it's over-long and has so little in store I almost fell asleep.
Surfer, The Host : I think I love this one. I think it's got pretty much everything any film can hope for. So yeah, fantastic choice ;)
Tranny, Fruitvale Station : This one disappointed me. It tried too much to say something and forgot to make cinema. It's alright, but nowhere near as good as its reputation places it.
UDM, Jesse James : Yeaaaaah, I think I love this one too. Every once in while, someones says "Western is dead", and every once in a while, a beauty like this appears to prove everybody wrong.
W, Monsters Inc : Great Pixar film, fun and tender.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

JOHNERLE The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - fantastic movie. coming up for me too

RON BURGUNDY The Guest (2014) - just recently saw this, it was ok but annoying. i hate movies that go for realism and then the army did some experiments and then we have an evil guy that is basically a cockroach and wont die. The only saving grace was the directing, loved the music and style to the movie.

SHRYKESPEARE Ocean's Eleven (2001) - agreed, was on my list, i'm looking forward to the reboot.

UNDEADMONKEY The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - In a way this is a sequel to Junebug for me (in my mind i have a trilogy with a movie coming up soon). Not in story or subject matter but in my love and admiration for cinema and what it can do. Growing up i searched for fantasy and while i still love it, these movies showed me that humans playing somewhat real people can have just as much presence and impact as any hobbit, elves, or orcs can. Brad Pitt and Casey Afleck were phenomenal in their roles. The directing was smart and deft and the 3 hour film never dragged. I had heard of Roger Deakins praise before i saw this movie, but it never really hit me till I saw it here. He is master at his work and probably a huge reason why such a running time never seems long, as even when not much is happening in the scene you have gorgeous cinematography to look at. I've actually only seen this once, but it left an impact that mesmerizes me to this day.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I've seen Jesse James 3 times, UDM, and it gets better with each viewing.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Also, I don't think The Guest was trying for realism at all. Just saying.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

BANKS

Inside Llewyn Davis
(2013) - Smaller Coen Brothers is always hit or miss with me, but Llewyn Davis knocked it out of the park, on the strength of a locked-in Oscar Isaac performance.

BUSCEMI

The Hateful Eight
(2015)

CHIENFANTOME

Two Lovers
(2008) - James Gray is one of my favourite American filmmakers working today. His films manage to make the torments of the soul shine. And the one film of his that impresses me the most is “Two Lovers”. A beautifully crafted work about a man torn between two women, the one his family chooses for him, and the one he feels naturally attracted to. Despite being seemingly simple narratively, the film is ambitious and complex, offering nothing conventional while it could just be another romantic drama. This intimate film is written with the harshness of a tragedy and filmed with the rhythm of a noir. It’s a little story that a remarkable filmmaker turns into a great work of cinema.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8nt8Ejm_M

JOHNERLE

Blue Is the Warmest Color
(2013) - Yes, the sex scenes are a bit much, and not nearly as erotic as the scene where the two women are lying on the grass, about to kiss for the first time, but apart from that blip, this is one of the most intimate portraits of a moment in a human life I've ever seen, and Adèle Exarchopoulos delivers one of the rawest performances ever committed to film.
https://youtu.be/Y2OLRrocn3s

NUMBERSIX

The Wolf of Wall Street
(2013) – I had pretty much given up on Scorsese since the turn of the millennium. There were a few strong films in the 90s, such as Goodfellas and The Age of Innocence. But then he made films like Gangs of New York, The Aviator, and Shutter Island, all tremendous failures, with only The Departed being half decent. And then he comes along and blows us all away with this 3-hour depiction of the life of Jordan Belfort, a con man who became a stock market kingpin. Despite its length, the film is well paced, never slowing down to represent the trajectory of its main character. Like Goodfellas, it shows you the allure of endless wealth, before pulling the rug from under your feet. And it’s hilarious, allowing Leo di Caprio to do more than just brood to the camera. And it’s a film that shows us the mentality of those who screwed the average Joe 10 years ago when the global economy crashed. It’s rare to see a film that’s relevant, seductive, dangerous, and hilarious, and the fact that a 70-year old did it with such verve puts other film-makers to shame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdokQz4Q7pY

RON BURGUNDY

Drive
(2011)

SHRYKESPEARE

Toy Story 3
(2010) - It makes me sad that they're actually making a fourth one in this series, because honestly, they could not POSSIBLY have ended the series any better than they did here. That scene near the end (you know which one I'm talking about)? I literally cried my eyes out. One of the best films in Pixar's pantheon (but only my fourth favorite overall, stay tuned).

SURFER

High Fidelity
(2000)

TRANSFORMERS

No Country for Old Men
(2007) - If it wasn't for the awkward ending, this would be in my top 10. No Country for Old Men is a reminder of just how awe-inspiring the Coen Brothers work can be when they're in peak form. Everything from the script to the cinematography to the acting (Javier Bardem deserved two Oscars for his performance) is perfect and allows this film to standout in the crowded crime thriller genre.

UNDEADMONKEY

The Way Way Back
(2013)

W

Shrek
(2001)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

note to self, dont drink and try commenting on stuff, then pass out and lose all comments....

Ill catch up on the other picks later, but heres thoughts on the recently posted:

Banks
Ray - Good movie, what won Best Picture in 2004? Seems so long ago
Inside Llewyn Davis - Not bad

Boosh
Gone Baby Gone -Above average
The Hateful Eight - On my list too

Chien
Drive - Awesome neon sounds...
Two Lovers - Havent seen it

John
LOTR - The Two Towers - One of my favs of all time
Blue is the warmest color - I should see this

Six
Moonrise Kingdom - On my list too
The Wolf of Wallstreet - Watched it again recently and i agree with most of what you said.

Shryke
Oceans 11 - It was decent back when it was released but i dont think i can sit through this again (been on TV a million times)
Toy Story 3 - I dont get all the love for this, it was ok.

Surfer
The Host - Really dig this, good combo of sci-fi, horror and black comedy
High Fidelity - considered this for my top too, but fell out

Tranny

Fruitvale Station - On my list too
No Country for Old Men - Solid pick, Javier Bardem ice cold.

UDM
The Assassination....Robert Ford - It does seem like a long title, but fits the movie just fine. Watched it last year, good script and well acted.
The Way Way Back - Should have seen this.

W
Monsters Inc - Is this the most popular Pixar movie here? Seems so, hard to dislike it
Shrek - Great animated comedy.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale