Fantaverse Collective Top 100 List (#100 on Page 4)

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Re: Fantaverse Collective Top 100 List (#100 on Page 4)

Post by englishozzy »

Im with Chien on this one, it is very difficult to seperate the three movies in terms of quality as, coming from someone who hasnt read the books, they are all as engaging and exciting as the other.

If i had to pick just one film it would be the first purely for the fact i tend to prefer beginnings over endings :?
"Then telephone for an axe"

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Surfer and Boosh's views on Two Towers are exactly how I feel about Return Of The King.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

transformers2 wrote:Surfer and Boosh's views on Two Towers are exactly how I feel about Return Of The King.
Thisx2.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The Shining (1980) - Director: Stanley Kubrick; starring Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers, Barry Nelson and Phillip Stone.

W's #94
numbersix's #94
Buscemi's #52
NSpan's #41
BarcaRulz' #38
silversurfer's #24
thegreenarrow's #23
JohnErle's #8
leestu's #3
Total: 4788 points

JohnErle's comment: So much has already been written about the genius of Kubrick so I'll single out someone who doesn't usually get much credit -- Shelley Duvall. I don't think I've ever seen a woman on film so fragile, so mousy, and so dependent on a man to take care of her. It's not politically correct to show women like that on screen any more but they do exist in the world.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

So good to see what for me at least is Kubrick's masterpiece (in a body of work filled with genius - alongside Hitch and Spielberg he is probably the most consistently great director ever) placed so highly. Truly stunning and chilling piece of work.

Question, Shryke. Would it be possible for you to list all the top 100 already revealed on the first page as a reference, or are you diliberately holding it back till the end? Not an issue if you are, just wanted to know which other Kubrick's had already been listed without scrolling through 34 pages.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here you go, Surf.

82. Dr. Strangelove
52. Full Metal Jacket
51. A Clockwork Orange
14. The Shining

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

That fan made trailer for the Shining is surprisingly good.

And if I did it all over again I would rank all the LOTR movies much higher, probably top 40 at least, and wouldn't have omitted The Two Towers. It disappointed me when I saw it in theatres because I found Gollum to be both silly and annoying, plus the splitting of the Fellowship ruined the narrative flow. But I keep going back to these movies, despite their flaws, and I rewatched the whole trilogy a few weekends ago when I wasn't feeling very energetic and enjoyed The Two Towers almost as much as the others. When I watch it on DVD at home the experience is more like reading a book -- watch a few chapters, take a break, watch another hour -- and so the narrative flow doesn't matter as much.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Well, JohnErle, at the end of the year I am going to ask everyone (and maybe even a few other people, if they're interested) in updating their Top 100 to include any changes as well as any 2011 films, at which point I will reconfigure the Collective Top 100.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

wow, i've never heard anyone call Gollum silly before. I've always thought he was a fascinating character study. as he was human before, well hobbit, and now he is something else, something more, but also something less. I think his portrayal in the movie is great as well.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't think you should call The Shining a masterpiece without mentioning both Kubrick and Stephen King. With Shawshank, Stand By Me, and The Green Mile, you can't definitively say it's the best film made from his work, but it is (with all apologies to Misery) easily the best from his signature genre.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

No doubt, Boussh. King is pretty hit and miss with his work, but when he hits, it's generally one of the best novels of the 20th Century. Adapting that novel and maintaining the same intensity (despite quite a few diversions from the narrative I understand - I don't know as I have yet to read the book) is something Kubrick needs to be applauded for.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The film of The Shining is very, very different from the book. And much better. King has some great ideas but often a good adaptation is way better than the book. The only one I can think of that works as a book and a movie and they are similar is Misery.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

The Shining is getting a rerelease in Paris in June, I can't wait to go see it, I haven't seen it since high school !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Reservoir Dogs (1992) - Director: Quentin Tarantino; starring Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn, Steve Buscemi, Lawrence Tierney, Edward Bunker, Quentin Tarantino and Steve Wright.

Ron Burgundy's #81
Buscemi's #70
Geezer's #62
silversurfer's #55
BarcaRulz' #55
NSpan's #21
W's #14
Banks' #9
transformers' #4
Total: 4842 points

transformers' comment: First impressions are always important and Quentin Tarantino made a hell of a first impression with Reservoir Dogs. Very few directors make films this good in their entire careers, let alone as their debut. Reservoir Dogs is such a fascinating movie with such an eccentric and amazing bunch of characters. The characters are so well written and Tarantino’s gift of masterful dialogue carries this movie. There really isn't much action at all (outside of the insane ear cutting scene). This movie floored me on the first viewing and continues to do on subsequent viewings.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I actually didn't expect this to be so high, but I can't complain. I loved this so much that a group of us in school tried to each write our own sequel!