The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Like a book club, but for movies instead. Hosted by NSpan.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: The Fantaverse 25 Most Over-rated films list

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'd rather there were more films like 12 Years a Slave than Gone with the Wind and it's heroic South themes. Civil War-era South seems like it would have been a horrible place to have lived in and yet the industry constantly romanticizes it just so they can get a good gross there.

And in the process, we get things like The Help and the lies it tries to pass off as history (though that was more due to the success of The Blind Side and its artistic licenses to the point where the real Michael Oher hates the film).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Ron: Pretty solid blockbuster from Spielberg. Not anything I feel compelled to re-watch, but I wouldn't call it overrated.

Six: 100% agree with John's take.

Walleye: X-Men is my favorite superhero franchise and X-2 is tied with First Class as my 2nd favorite entry of the series behind Days of Future Past.

Boosh: ACA-CUSE ME. I find the Pitch Perfect series to be an absolute delight and I'm really looking to seeing the final chapter of this seminal franchise later this month.

John: My favorite of the handful pre-Y2K Allen films that I've seen. Sharp, hilarious and wildly entertaining stuff.

Chien: Despised Avatar with every fiber of my being, but I felt that the reception was too mixed on the whole to include it on my list.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Did someone forget about Logan?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote: So the black men who wrote and directed this are self-hating racists? I don't think so.
Not consciously, but through their lack of control of the material and talent (Ridley is a poor writer, just look at his Hendrix film, and McQueen conflates agony for profundity) they have made a patronising piece of cinema.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Did someone forget about Logan?
No I wasn't overly impressed with it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Ron B
War of the Worlds - no way dude. I wish Speilberg would go back to doing this kind of movies again. I love it

Six
12 Years A Slave - Agreed.

Boosh
Pitch Perfect - Also no way, the movie was hilarious and heartfelt. there is a reason a small movie that Universal was basically dumping had an almost 5x multiplier and you could not getaway from the Cups song wherever you went.

Walleye
X-men 2 - I think i can see what you are saying, but it's still one of the better superhero movies out there. Would watch that again than most of 80% of Marvels recent stuff.

Chien
Avatar - But dude, those shin floaty things and tail sex.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

The Talented Mr Ripley (1999)
imdb: 7.3 from 149k votes. Metascore: 76
I think i kind of liked this when it first came out, but i must have been dumber back in those days. Because i caught this on TV not very long ago and the best word to describe this is dull. Nominated for 5 oscars!
My rating: 4/10

Six (#6)

The Social Network (2008)
It’s easy to be cynical. To criticise everything, to undermine it, to judge. We all do it, especially in this internet age. But we do way more than that. I wish someone told Fincher and Sorkin (who don’t use social media) that, because they instead embraced the story of Facebook’s creator and used it to tell a tale about how desperate and pathetic kids are these days for being addicted to something created by an autistic asshole who only invented it to keep tabs on the woman who rejected him. No amount of smart-ass dialogue (from every single character, in the exact same way) can elevate it beyond it being the one-note grumpy old man story that it is.

Boosh

Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
Why?: David O. Russell’s manipulative Oscar bait romantic comedy created a trend that needs to die: pairing Jennifer Lawrence with much older men and trying to claim it’s not creepy. In addition, David O. Russell can’t write characters that don’t sound and act like him, the film is completely unbelievable in its themes and psychiatry (apparently, ballroom dancing is a better cure for bipolar disorder than medicine and therapy), and Lawrence only won an Oscar for being popular.
Better movies: Punch-Drunk Love (mental illness), The Impossible (2012 Best Actress nominees)

Walleye

Spider-man 2 (2004)
Hailed as one of the greatest superhero movies of all time, I found it good but pretty formulaic. Sure, the formula has been done 50 times more since then, but that doesn’t mean this one gets a pass.

Chien

La Dolce Vita (1960)
Aa a cinephile, I should be ashamed, but I’m really not into Fellini’s cinema, and La Dolce Vita is a film I never got around to watch til the end. Probably because I never watched it in a film theater but only on TV. I stopped it in the middle of it. One day I’ll give it another go, on a big screen.

John

The Producers (1967)
Zero Mostel was way too over-the top for me. I laughed maybe twice, mostly thanks to Gene Wilder

Tranny

The Revenant (2015)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

American Gangster (2007)
I tried so hard to like this movie, i thought Russell Crowe was the greatest actor of all time, reuniting with Ridley Scott and pairing with the 'so hot right now' Denzel Washington. Turns out it was a complete dud. All 3 of said players dropped their game in my book after this. A real shame.

six (#6)

World Trade Centre (2006)
I don’t care if the reviews weren’t that glowing, this is still over-rated for existing. Oliver Stone, usually a man who likes to question authority, does a U-turn to make this maudlin melodrama about one of the most defining and saddening moments in recent history. And ends it by linking it to Iraq and Saddam. I mean, what the hell???

Boosh

The Hunger Games (2012)
Why?: A common joke is that the French call this Battle Royale with cheese. Personally, I think that’s a little too nice. This Americanized Battle Royale gets the Twilight treatment with politics that end up getting misinterpreted as something else completely (how else do you explain the series’ success in middle America?). The end result becomes something that thinks it’s more important than it really is. Read Margaret Atwood’s Oryx and Crake instead for a good modern dystopia story that doesn’t pander to teens.
Better movies: Battle Royale, 1984, It Comes at Night (dystopia)

Walleye

The Fugitive (1993)
I watched this with my son over the Summer. I love everybody in the cast, and I loved this movie when it came out. Boy it does not hold up. The Train sequence looks fake, the fist fight at the end is silly. Only Tommy Lee Jones continues to shine so many years later.

Chien

Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)
I like Michael Moore. He’s not the king of subtlety, but he’s made some strong films. Fahrenheit 9/11 was just a messy show that won the Palme d’Or when Oldboy should have.

John

There's Something About Mary
I never thought the Farrely Brothers were funny. Now it seems the rest of the world agrees with me. I remember thinking Siskel & Ebert had lost their collective minds when they gave two thumbs up to this and Kingpin.

Tranny

Inside Out (2015)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron: I rewatched Mr Riply recently and actually loved it. Still a great psychological thriller about obsession and sexuality. As for American Gangster, it's not a very good film at all, but it's kinda faded from everyone's memory.

Boosch: I actually think Silver Linings is under-rated. The age gap isn't that pronounced (hell, my 39 year old cousin just married his 25 year old wife, and no one is fainting from shock), the wit and direction is great. The characters do sound like Russell, but no one seems to mind when Sorkin does it, but at least here Russell uses it well to show the positive and negative. As for the mental illness, it's not saying the competition is a cure, but the right kind of distraction to make the main character stop fixating on the past. Is the Hunger Games highly rated? I thought the first was fine but yeah, the satire was certainly lost and never bothered with the sequels.

Walleye: What makes Spidey 2 a decent film is Raimi's direction. There's confidence and energy in his direction, even if the story isn't much. Same with The Fugitive - its a fun movie that I don't think anyone takes too seriously, nor should they.

Chien: Dude, sit through La Dolce Vita, it's really good (though I prefer 8 1/2 and Amacord). Agree on Fahrenheit - fake news.

John: Two highly regarded classic comedies. I enjoyed both, to a certain extent. I find them rewatchable, but I don't love them enough to get on my high horse. You can breath easy ;)

Tranny: Yep, The Revenant is an indulgent mess of a movie, with Leo and the cinematography being the only truly good things about it. Inside Out, however, is my favourite Pixar film since Up.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I could have put Catching Fire (a very laughable attempt at an epic but critics loved it and it made millions) but I had to go with the original for the negative impact it put on the fantasy/dystopian genre. Both seem to be overpowered teenagers saving the world nowadays. And The Hunger Games might have had something to do with The Purge, a franchise I've spoken negatively about in the past.

And I think the age gap in Silver Linings Playbook could have been avoided (and maybe prevented all of the creepy older men online lusting over Lawrence as well as every Disney/Nickelodeon actor). But it's the least of its problems. It's simply a mediocre indie film which toys with the audience's emotions that would have been forgotten without its name leads.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

So many movies, so many different opinions!

I really enjoyed The Talented Mr. Ripley - but I saw it in theaters and have never seen it since. Curious what I would think now.

I loved The Social Network. My favorite movie of the year. I love Aaron Sorkin dialogue, it's one of the best things in modern Hollywood. The West Wing, Sports Night, The American President. All fantastic, and this was cast/writing/directing all at their best.

I thoroughly enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook as well. Not a perfect movie, but I thought it actually showed a broken family, and broken people, in a way that showed there was still always reason to hope. I loved that. And yeah, the age difference was wide but not Woody Allen creepy.

The Revenant - I think the best two things about this movie were Leo and the Cinematography. Nothing else was that good - but I haven't really heard anyone claim that there was. If they do - they are definitely overrating the finished product then. Well, except for maybe that Bear fight, that was wicked cool.

Inside Out was a bit overrated, agreed. Had some nice moments, as do all Pixar movies. But not sure why this one was a huge blockbuster again. It was pretty heavy and I was starting to freak out when the kid ran away at the end.

The Hunger Games was pretty good. Not amazing, but I've never understood why you've disliked it (and Jennifer Lawrence) quite so much. But, to each their own, that's the point I suppose. It's overrated in that it probably didn't deserve all the money and accolades. But having sat through a whole lot of other youth dystopian movies, sadly this is better than most.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I don't like The Hunger Games for the same reason why I don't like Twilight: it cheapens the fantasy genre from being about worlds beyond our imagination to simply being events in the real world, much like every other genre, simply to appeal to people who don't like fantasy (more recently, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them committed this same problem). And they ended up being popular. And much like how I don't understand how one could hate Glee but like Pitch Perfect, I don't understand how one could hate Twilight but like The Hunger Games. It's all the same simplistic product.

In a similar way, I feel The Raid (a film that's decent but overpraised) is popular because it's basically a Westernized martial arts film for those who hate what makes the best martial arts films. Martial arts cinema is not fast editing and gore. I much prefer its sequel.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Six
Social Network- I like this movie, the only movie where Jesse Eisenberg is well cast (maybe Zombieland too somewhat). Its got a great pace and a nice little dark edge. Armie Hammer, Justin Timberlake and Rooney Mara round out a solid cast.
WTC - Not seen, prob never will

Boosh
Silver Linings - yeah i have to agree here. It is fairly over rated, i wondered what all the fuss was about just after i saw it
Hunger games - Its really not a bad movie, but it is slightly over rated, especially when you consider it got the sequel treatment

Walleye
Spidey 2 - Its fairly average for me, not a big spidey fan
The Fugitive - No no no...One of my all time favs. Not only terrific suspense but terrific action and nice twist. Sorry to say i strongly disagree

Chien
La Dolce - I have not seen it, but i think i still want to despite it appearing here
Fahrenheit - Been meaning to watch this for a while now, i usually like Michael Moores Doco's, didnt know he faked everything though...

John
The Producers - not a big desire to see it, but probably will just because of Gene Wilder
Something about mary - I used to love this movie, but it really hasn't held up well

Tranny
The Revenant - I just watched this one the weekend and i must say, it held up very well. Its a terrific film to watch, such harsh terrain. Also, got a great cast. Cant believe six doesn't like it as you dont- you guys set the bar way too high ;)
Inside Out - Out of all the films i commented on this post- This is the one i agree with the most! SO OVERRATED! I probably should have found a spot for it on my list. Good pick tranny!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron B

Wonder Woman (2017
My rating: 4/10, i mean, what is so special about this film? Why did so many people pay to see it? Is cinema going down the gurgler? No wonder Justice league failed.

six (#6)

Braveheart (1995)
Another classic for our generation. Who can forget the screams of “freedommmm” as Braveheart races into battle. Admittedly, the fight scenes carry and violent intensity not seen that often in mainstream blockbusters. But this is ultimately an ego-trip for Gibson, in which history is ignored and instead he plays a one-dimensional good guy who goes on a non-stop journey to seek revenge AND free his people. Look under the kilt and all you get is Ken-doll smoothness.

Boosh

The Babadook (2014)
Why?: Heavily hyped after its Sundance premiere, this Australian film feels more like a film student’s overlong tribute to Tim Burton than a film with the next great horror villain. In addition, its child protagonist seems to be an endorsement for familicide and the promising premise of a book character come to life cannot sustain feature-length.
Better movies: Housebound, Oculus (2014 horror), You’re Next (festival genre hits)

Walleye

Hugo
When this got nominated for a boatload of Oscars, and Harry Potter was totally ignored, I was really annoyed. A “kids” movie that was all about saving films by Martin Scorsese! Hollywood couldn’t pat itself on the back enough. Just not that good.

Chien

V For Vendetta (2005)
I can’t write a lot about this one, because I hated it so much back then in theaters I don’t ever want to see it again, and that was 12 years ago. But I hate those films that want to be cool and forget to offer us cinema

John

The Jerk (1979
I love Steve Martin, but much prefer his later work.

Tranny

Zootopia (2016)
Last edited by Ron Burgundy on December 11th, 2017, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ron, if you've seen Truth (the Robert Redford as Dan Rather movie), you'll find that at least one talking point in the film (Bush's military history and the mention of James Bath) was revealed to be a forgery three months after the film opened. There's still some truth but not as much as Moore would lead you to think. But I'd still watch his works than Dinesh D'Souza's propaganda (who bases all his films on conspiracy theories and conservative cliches and only gets away with his lies due to the Citizens United decision, before 2010, his films would have been considered slanderous).

Personally, my problem with Moore is that he's become a parody of himself. He's not the Roger and Me/Bowling for Columbine guy anymore. He's more or less turned into the kind of person that he used to criticize: egocentric and obsessed with hearing his own voice (he's also convinced his films can still play wide though he hasn't had a major hit since Sicko a decade ago). He's also been unable to change as his style of filmmaking has died off (it seems like only he and his conservative rivals use the "one man vs. the world" concept) and become more about the subjects than the director. And maybe it's for the best that his new one, which will likely add nothing that we haven't already seen or known, may never be released due to the Weinstein scandal.

As for Justice League, I wouldn't exactly call a $200 million gross a failure. Now Inhumans, there was a failure.